Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Alienist Season 2 - "Angel of Darkness"

Premieres Sunday night (July 19) on TNT.

Starring Daniel Bruhl, Luke Evans, and Dakota Fanning.

It was a smash hit with Dataloungers last year. Will you be watching?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263December 9, 2020 9:41 PM

I love this show. I hope there will be more seasons even though there aren't any more books to adapt aside from a prequel and a story set in modern times.

by Anonymousreply 1July 17, 2020 7:30 AM

I'm down.

by Anonymousreply 2July 17, 2020 8:03 AM

Yeah, the first season was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 3July 17, 2020 8:15 AM

I wish Daniel Brühl would present dong one more time before her gets too old.

by Anonymousreply 4July 17, 2020 9:50 AM

Did he do it before, R4?

Are there photos?

by Anonymousreply 5July 17, 2020 10:14 AM

here you are, R5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 17, 2020 10:18 AM

Thanks, R6!

Looks nice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 17, 2020 10:28 AM

Bruhl is unremarkable looking but I find him very sexy.

I liked the book better but the first season was decent and of course the cast is terrific. I'm in for season 2.

by Anonymousreply 8July 17, 2020 10:31 AM

Same here, R8.

Bruhl has a quiet sort of attractiveness.

Luke is just gorgeous in season one.

I'm hoping that Brian Geraghty returns as Theodore Roosevelt. I loved him in Chicago P.D., and I think he was good in The Alienist.

I also liked Douglas Smith as the police detective. Especially when he bared his ass!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 17, 2020 3:18 PM

Will there be more "boy whores" this season?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 17, 2020 3:19 PM

Fuck YEAH!! Can’t wait!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 11July 17, 2020 3:21 PM

I'm in. I loved Caleb Carr's novels and find this era in NY fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 12July 17, 2020 3:22 PM

I'm watching season one On Demand, and it's really good.

Very suspenseful, and it also showcased not only NYC but the wealth disparity happening at that time.

Interestingly, it's very similar to today.

by Anonymousreply 13July 17, 2020 3:30 PM

What happened to the Luke Evans character, after he was drugged in the boy whore bar?

I think that someone "took advantage" of him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 17, 2020 3:47 PM

I loved Luke Evans in the Alienist

by Anonymousreply 15July 17, 2020 4:11 PM

I liked the first book more than this one. Still will watch.

by Anonymousreply 16July 17, 2020 4:15 PM

The first series was good but not outstanding. I wish they'd replace Dakota Fanning as she was the weak link in the cast.

Will still watch this new series as I didn't read that novel. The only other Carr book I read was the more recent SURRENDER NY, which was nothing more than an overwritten James Patterson-level novel.

by Anonymousreply 17July 17, 2020 6:20 PM

Season one, episode two was amazing.

For anyone who doesn't think that Italians weren't the "Mexicans" of the early 1900's, then watch this episode. It shows them crowded in tenements, not speaking English, and living in squalor. It's a real eye-opener.

The grittiness of New York that the episode captures, is so vivid.

Throughout the series, you really get the feeling that you are transported back in time.

That is of course, until you hear some of the characters speak (as if they were living in 2018).

The scenery, the costumes and the styling were spot-on. The characters, not so much.

I give Bruhl and Evans a lot of credit, for being right in character. As mentioned above, Fanning really is the weak link.

by Anonymousreply 18July 17, 2020 7:41 PM

Carr also wrote "The Italian Secretary". About Mary Queen of Scots, Earl of Bothwell, and, well, her Italian Secretary (Rizzo) who was murdered by her batshit crazy husband and his friends. Pretty good Holmes story.

by Anonymousreply 19July 17, 2020 9:21 PM

R14 I thought that they stripped him naked and that the prostitutes all posed on bed with him while the owners of the brothel took pictures to use as blackmail material.

by Anonymousreply 20July 17, 2020 10:44 PM

R20, I like to think the boy whores also took turns riding his cock.

by Anonymousreply 21July 17, 2020 10:46 PM

I agree that Fanning is the weak link

by Anonymousreply 22July 18, 2020 1:52 AM

I loved the first season, I didn't realize they would do another one.

Where will they go?

by Anonymousreply 23July 18, 2020 2:09 AM

So we have to tune in weekly?

No binge-watch unless I wait until the end of the season?

by Anonymousreply 24July 18, 2020 2:10 AM

I swore that the sequel was about a female serial killer, but the trailer and wiki write up didn’t sound like that?

by Anonymousreply 25July 18, 2020 2:15 AM

Did Luke Evans attend the DeForest Kelley school of acting?

Oh, I think so!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 19, 2020 8:51 AM

[quote] I thought that they stripped him naked and that the prostitutes all posed on bed with him while the owners of the brothel took pictures to use as blackmail material.

No, R20. The boy whores definitely raped the Luke Evans character, as a warning to him to back off from the investigation.

I'm watching last season On Demand, and at the end of episode two, the bartender drugged him and right before he passed out, two more men came in the room. One was some kind of crime boss, and the other was the dirty Irish cop. Then the gangster guy said, "Come in here, girls." The scene ended with them surrounding him on the bed.

But confirmation that he was raped came in episode three. The dirty cop was recounting what happened to Moore, and he joked that Mr. Moore wouldn't be able to sit for a week. So clearly, the boy whores fucked him.

It is hard to miss though, because there was no other reference made to it.

by Anonymousreply 27July 19, 2020 8:59 AM

[quote] I loved the first season, I didn't realize they would do another one.

Same here.

I'm hoping it'll be good, but my expectations will be low.

Second seasons of hit shows are never as good as the first.

by Anonymousreply 28July 19, 2020 10:07 AM

I hadn't seen Evans in a good long time and everyone on DL was complaining what a withered old crone he is. So when I tuned in, I was so surprised that Evans was very handsome! The clothes, makeup and cinematography no doubt help.

by Anonymousreply 29July 19, 2020 10:44 AM

The original program was mediocre at best.

For R18, the production design was crap. The made-for-the -film costumes were awful. For a film about prostitution, they knew nothing about how corsets were worn. Budapest looks nothing like 19th century NY and the interiors were more continental than American.

There were also some real clunkers as far a historical accuracy. The Dakota Fanning character would never smoke on a train. She would be thrown off at the next stop, if not while it was moving.

by Anonymousreply 30July 19, 2020 11:05 AM

Once I saw Series 1 on DVD with no interruptions I loved it (although Fanning was still something to be endured). I'll wait again for Series 2 to run its course on broadcast TV, then watch it without commercials.

by Anonymousreply 31July 19, 2020 12:24 PM

Raped by boy whores!

by Anonymousreply 32July 19, 2020 12:27 PM

It's on tonight!

by Anonymousreply 33July 19, 2020 4:33 PM

So is Dakota Fanning the "STAH" this season?

Last season it was hard to tell, because each of the characters seemed to get equal time. Even though Daniel Bruhl got top billing.

If this is going to be all about Dakota Fanning and "girl power," in the early 1900's, then I'm out.

I've had sufficient on that topic.

by Anonymousreply 34July 19, 2020 4:43 PM

R23 There are two books in the series. They’ll go to book 2 - that’s why it’s called angel of Darkness . R28

by Anonymousreply 35July 19, 2020 7:26 PM

[quote] The original program was mediocre at best.

Yes, but it featured Luke Evans getting raped by boy whores. A DL fave is born!

by Anonymousreply 36July 19, 2020 7:30 PM

Dear Lord In Heaven!

by Anonymousreply 37July 19, 2020 7:40 PM

Will there be more boy whores rapping in season two?

by Anonymousreply 38July 19, 2020 7:42 PM

There was a third book but it’s in modern times. A fourth is due in ‘22

by Anonymousreply 39July 19, 2020 7:43 PM

I simply must know how corsets ARE worn, dear R30. Be a doll and inform the hoi polloi. Thanks. I'd like to work the trottoir along Avenue Foch.

by Anonymousreply 40July 19, 2020 7:57 PM

R40, well, for one, they are never worn directly next to the skin.

by Anonymousreply 41July 19, 2020 7:58 PM

Forty five minutes into the first episode and I keep focusing on how tight Dakota's blouses are and how they appear to be squashing her boobs down flat.

Holy crap - they just showed a dead baby!

by Anonymousreply 42July 20, 2020 1:50 AM

Gay character alert: In the second episode, Sarah (Dakota) and John (Luke Evans) visit a ritzy department store and one of the workers knows Dakota. He's very fey and he gets very flirty when he claps eyes on Luke.

by Anonymousreply 43July 20, 2020 2:23 AM

Is that the guy who played Roose Bolton as the man who authorized the execution of the mother of the missing child? I know I've seen that guy before somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 44July 20, 2020 2:32 AM

I like the show & she’s fine in it.

by Anonymousreply 45July 20, 2020 2:45 AM

I can't believe I missed it!

How was the premiere?

by Anonymousreply 46July 20, 2020 8:25 AM

Why does Bruhl sound like he got mush in his mouth....

the googley chick, Fanning, could do w/o her....miss sufragette chain smoking: how very independent, virgina.

by Anonymousreply 47July 20, 2020 11:02 AM

I missed it dangit, 90 Day Fiance!!!

by Anonymousreply 48July 20, 2020 11:09 AM

I'm Dakota Fanning's acting coach.

by Anonymousreply 49July 20, 2020 11:39 AM

I thought it was coming out next weekend not this past weekend.

by Anonymousreply 50July 20, 2020 11:46 AM

gory shlock. Trying way-yyyyyyyy too hard.

by Anonymousreply 51July 20, 2020 11:50 AM

When will Caleb Carr be fucking canceled already?

by Anonymousreply 52July 20, 2020 11:55 AM

Nobody is forcing you nasty bitches to watch it, if it's not your cup of tea. Sheesh!

by Anonymousreply 53July 20, 2020 12:06 PM

Its awesome, like the first one was too.....cept for fanning, who seems to be in some horse pageant...

by Anonymousreply 54July 20, 2020 12:27 PM

I love it. It's a period drama and the recreation of NYC at that time has been stunning. Season one was excellent. I Read the books years ago. I'm glad they made it into a TV series. I like the first book best, but the Angel of Darkness was very good. And I have always adored Dakota Fanning. I loved her screaming and screaming at Tom Cruise in War of the Worlds. My God she was a horrid child, but a brilliant actress. I also like the political message the casting sends that an openly Gay man who is out and proud can play a straight character who is the love interest of the woman character. I mean. We know Gay men have been playing straight for years, but this is up front in you face Gay man.

by Anonymousreply 55July 20, 2020 12:27 PM

[quote]When will Caleb Carr be fucking canceled already?

Why? What did he do?

by Anonymousreply 56July 20, 2020 12:42 PM

The (very international) supporting cast in season 1 was really good, including the creepy/incestuous Van Bergen family (with Sean Young playing the mother of Willem "Silver Smile" van Bergen, played by British actor Josef Antin, who is of Turkish descent and has an interesting look). David Wilmot, Ted Levine, and Ronan Vibert are also excellent in this.

by Anonymousreply 57July 20, 2020 12:49 PM

[quote] the googley chick, Fanning, could do w/o her....miss sufragette chain smoking: how very independent, virgina

Oh, dear.

[quote] Willem "Silver Smile" van Bergen, played by British actor Josef Antin, who is of Turkish descent and has an interesting look

I agree! The first time I saw him, I thought he was cute.

Granted, his character was creepy, but the actor was pretty good looking.

[quote] I also like the political message the casting sends that an openly Gay man who is out and proud can play a straight character who is the love interest of the woman character

Wait, what?

Last season, I thought that it was the Kreizler character who had a crush on Dakota Fanning.

The Moore character didn't seem to be into her at all.

by Anonymousreply 58July 20, 2020 2:04 PM

If you missed it, TNT will be running back to back re-run episodes of the premiere tonight.

by Anonymousreply 59July 20, 2020 2:05 PM

you mean you watched all of Season one and never figured out Kreizler was in love with his housekeeper, Mary? The one who didn't speak? She was desperately in love with him and when he finally allowed himself to admit it he was in love with her too. Sheesh! In fact, Luke Evan's character keeps dropping hints and he adores Dakota's character. Finally admits it.

by Anonymousreply 60July 20, 2020 5:24 PM

All of you who saw this please tell me, because I checked and it won't be on in my area until next weekend. Two hour premiere.

by Anonymousreply 61July 20, 2020 5:27 PM

[quote] Luke Evan's character keeps dropping hints and he adores Dakota's character

But what about the boy whores?

I honestly thought that Luke was going to adopt one of them.

by Anonymousreply 62July 20, 2020 5:32 PM

It will be rerun on TNT tonight, R61.

by Anonymousreply 63July 20, 2020 6:47 PM

I'm starting to watch it right now. I wonder why I couldn't access it a few hours ago......

by Anonymousreply 64July 20, 2020 7:56 PM

Alice Krige is in it. I love her.

by Anonymousreply 65July 21, 2020 2:52 AM

Dakota looks like she could be Daniel Brühl's mother!

And her insufferable intonation!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 66July 21, 2020 12:28 PM

Well, IMO none of them distinguished themselves in these first two episodes. Well...Luke did.... except he needs to get rid of the hats.

by Anonymousreply 67July 21, 2020 1:55 PM

Two episodes, R67?

I thought there was only one so far? It premiered on Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 68July 21, 2020 2:19 PM

TNT showed two episodes in a row, R68

by Anonymousreply 69July 21, 2020 3:32 PM

A lot of shows do that these days. They air two or three episodes to get viewers hooked and then make them wait for new episodes.

by Anonymousreply 70July 21, 2020 3:42 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71July 22, 2020 12:33 PM

The first two episodes were excruciatingly dull. I miss the boy whores.

by Anonymousreply 72July 23, 2020 12:20 AM

Same here, R72.

I never realized it until now, but I just watched because of the boy whores.

Speaking of, I'm glad that Stevie (Matt Lintz) is back! I missed him as Henry on the Walking Dead, so it's nice to see him on a regular basis on The Alienist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73July 23, 2020 12:31 AM

I also enjoyed Douglas Smith’s ass.

by Anonymousreply 74July 23, 2020 12:34 AM

It's a slower boil, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 75July 23, 2020 12:35 AM

Two of Matt Lintz' siblings were also on The Walking Dead.

Most notably, Madison Lintz who played Carol's daughter Sophia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 23, 2020 12:38 AM

R76, I love her on Bosch. She has such elegance.

by Anonymousreply 77July 23, 2020 12:42 AM

I can't watch anything with Dakota Fanning in it. I really wanted her character in War of the Worlds to die.

by Anonymousreply 78July 23, 2020 5:53 AM

Dakota looks like she lost a lot of weight since last season.

by Anonymousreply 79July 23, 2020 6:33 AM

Is it just me or is Dakota less wooden and more relaxed?

by Anonymousreply 80July 24, 2020 5:54 AM

I saw the first episode last night. I tried to be positive. I tried to ignore the opening that seemed to be basically a direct steal from Babylon Berlin (I don't remember that part in the book), but the fiance in her Joann's Fabric, Disney Princess dress is where I just lost it. DK seems to be wearing a modern orthopedic corset rather than a period corset; yet, she still has terrible posture. Her costumes are not only weirdly made to accentuate he coat hanger shoulders, but fit poorly as well. And, dresses with trains were not worn to walk your baby in the park. While I am at it, where was the lady's maid or nanny? A woman of her status, particularly a Spanish lady, would not leave the house without a servant. Indeed, the entire Spanish Embassy was weirdly devoid of servants.

I would love to know why the set dresser has a fetish for machine embroidered Indian fabrics. This was a problem in the first series as well. There would be a scene in a rundown tenement attic, and there would be a curtain of embroidered Indian silk. WTF?????

Needless to say, I would not notice all of this shit if the story or performances were engaging.

by Anonymousreply 81July 24, 2020 10:20 AM

Sorry, DF (Dakota Fanning) not DK.

by Anonymousreply 82July 24, 2020 10:21 AM

naw, she more wooden, playing the part as if she a wooden indian on porch of some general store down the street,

to think chloe sevigny had the part almost.

gagging with discretion.....

by Anonymousreply 83July 24, 2020 11:13 AM

Dakota Cornball i meant....

by Anonymousreply 84July 24, 2020 11:16 AM

[quote]to think chloe sevigny had the part almost.

Isn't she about two decades too old? Or was the production really in development for that long?

by Anonymousreply 85July 24, 2020 11:37 AM

R81, that was brilliant!

I'd love to see you call out the costume and set designers with your observations.

They would be fucking humiliated!

It just further shows how low Hollywood standards are, and how lazy the people who do the research are, as well.

by Anonymousreply 86July 24, 2020 12:30 PM

R86, I don't know how brilliant my comments were. I suspect the designer's response would be that only a "fag" would notice details such as that (though the costume designers are both male).

by Anonymousreply 87July 24, 2020 1:15 PM

Trust me R81/R87 you know your shit.

These people making movies now, and doing costumes and set design, seem to think that they are all "experts." They relish in the accolades and awards.

Someone like you could totally blow them the fuck out of the water.

by Anonymousreply 88July 24, 2020 6:26 PM

R88 To their credit, aren't they filming this in Budapest or something? It’s not like they can Uber to Mood and get some great period fabric or hit up the Hollywood prop houses in the valley.

by Anonymousreply 89July 24, 2020 6:34 PM

R89, I am aware of that and I was actually going to mention it in my post* and then I deleted it because it really isn't an excuse. Fabrics can be ordered well in advance and shipped to location. Since everything is made in either China or India nowadays, it is not as if one has to worry about getting material from a US mill. For my bitching about the Indian, machine embroidered silks, India does produce some wonderful period appropriate fabrics.

There is no reason for that horrid lavender gown (and it is lavender not "Violet"). (Though, I would also like to know the excuse for the "actress" and I use the word loosely. ) These shows are planned way in advance. There are numerous costume houses in England and Italy with good period stock. To get really technical, the actress is only seen from the waist up as I recall. They could have made a decent period bodice and faked the skirt.

As to the Indian fabric, there is no reason why the crib should be draped in a floral fabric. A plain white or ecru lace or netting would have been more accurate. The embroidered fabric made it look like a gypsy caravan.

*Actually, I did mention it in R30.

by Anonymousreply 90July 24, 2020 7:02 PM

I heart you, R90.

It's so nice to hear from someone who actually knows what they're talking about. For once. In 2020.

Most people nowdays, are fucking clueless and ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 91July 24, 2020 7:12 PM

The shots of the Spanish envoy’s house being adjacent to what I guess is supposed to be Central Park with their streets paved in cobblestones was breath taking. It captured that time period for me even if it wasn’t authentic and made me envy those who still live in such beautiful places and glad to know they exist.

by Anonymousreply 92July 24, 2020 7:20 PM

R91, some are clueless and ignorant, but a lot is intentional. I don't mind playing fast an loose with period as was done in the 2016 War and Peace. It was clearly a choice. I suspect a lot of what was done in The Alienist was done with intention, but of the "I don't really care." kind.

by Anonymousreply 93July 24, 2020 7:22 PM

99.999% of people (even knowledgeable ones) aren't going to care about Indian fabric. Whining about how "people today" don't know anything is silly because old movies and shows are so much worse with period accuracy

by Anonymousreply 94July 24, 2020 7:37 PM

R94, I suspect we have had this discussion before. First, there is benchmark by which film design is judged, basically before Merchant/Ivory- Masterpiece Theater, and after Merchant/Ivory-Masterpiece Theater. The hyper-accurate production of the two made is basically impossible to be historically inaccurate without it being an intentional design choice. The early films may not have been accurate, but the had a style. Their historical world exists in a cohesive whole. Again, the same can be said for the 2016 War and Peace or any other film that play fast-and-loose with historical accuracy with intention. The problem is productions that have the intention of being historically accurate and have glaring sloppiness. I am not talking about productions that use Teddy Bears 10-15 years before they were invented. I am talking about throwing in a 1950s dress and expecting us to accept that it is 1890s.

R88, I am seeing episode two tonight. I will post my thoughts, even if you are the only one who is interested.

by Anonymousreply 95July 24, 2020 8:57 PM

R90 Are you sure the dress was not mauve? I’m sure you know the history and importance of that color.

by Anonymousreply 96July 24, 2020 9:08 PM

R96, yes, and yes.

by Anonymousreply 97July 24, 2020 9:14 PM

R97 I think I’m going to have to disagree with you. The 1890s are literally known as the mauve decade. And by this time Perkins had developed extensive variations of tints of mauve dyes, making a wide range of variations on the color. The character’s name is Violet and she is shown wearing the color twice in both her scenes and it’s one the detonates upper class and wealth, so they are obviously reinforcing all these ideas with her clothing.

On the website below you can actually read a statement for the micro shift in fashion for 1897 and the way her clothes reflect that. For 1898 it goes on to specifically mention the return of the princess line and most likely she’s a trend setter and actually establishes the on coming trend if recently returned from Paris and a visit to Worth. I don’t think the costume designers are coloring outside the lines as extreme as you would make it seem.

The website is the a Greater Bay Area Costume’s Guild and looks to be quite reputable, it’s not just some crazy lady with a vintage clothes collection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98July 25, 2020 1:03 AM

Sorry, this is the link for 98.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99July 25, 2020 1:05 AM

Here’s a nice behind the scene look at costuming for the show. Michael Kaplan maybe best know for Star Wars and Blade Runner, but he has done extensive period costuming as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100July 25, 2020 1:09 AM

U CAN have the most fab costumes/sets/ in the world, but when that lame hen dakota eff comes out with her bug fish eyes, u know the jig is up.... lite the ladys cig : she is a libber !

by Anonymousreply 101July 25, 2020 7:09 AM

Oh my mercy, in that above pic, miss fanning looks like the whore my daddy left my mommy for, she took in washing for years, but after marrying dad, she was so rich she smoked Pall Mall menthols and wore red pretty ribbons from her spectacles.

by Anonymousreply 102July 25, 2020 7:10 AM

I'm so into this season. The two episodes flew by.

by Anonymousreply 103July 25, 2020 10:19 AM

R97, by definition mauve has more grey than blue. The designers may be intending mauve, but they are using lavender.

E2 wasn't as bad as the first episode, but something is definitely up with Violet. You have a actress with no period look, no period style, who is consistently filmed in gowns that are more 1950s than 1890s. I wonder if the actress who was to play Violet pulled ou at the very last minute and they were forced to pull costumes from the local opera house.

by Anonymousreply 104July 25, 2020 10:24 AM

Got a cheap thrill out of seeing Melanie Field in the first episode. I wasn't initially sold on the Heathers TV show, but I rather liked it and with no small part because of her hilarious performance.

by Anonymousreply 105July 25, 2020 10:35 AM

This is from last season, but insightful in regards to the costume design. He sounds very rigorous and did scour costume houses in L.A., London, Paris, Rome and Vienna to flesh out the clothes for the extras. He also chooses a color palette for each character and did dress Dakota in mauve for a scene in Delmonicos. I love that he mentions Luke’s vanity at the end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106July 25, 2020 10:52 AM

The set is quite amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107July 25, 2020 1:23 PM

This video is very cool as you can move your device 360 degrees, or swipe with your finger or cursor, to view the whole scene, ceiling to floor or side to side.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108July 25, 2020 1:26 PM

So, there are going to be two episodes every week?!?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109July 25, 2020 1:50 PM

Pity those lovely gowns, cept for the smarmy violet one, are wasted on the vacuous blonde lead lady.

by Anonymousreply 110July 25, 2020 1:54 PM

Two weeks per episode? In the past that was considered as burning off the remaining episodes of a flop. Though in the times of binge-watching that might be a compromise between old school TV and Netflix streaming (aka binge-watching an entire season within days).

by Anonymousreply 111July 25, 2020 2:17 PM

[quote] Two weeks per episode?

LOL. Sorry, Of course I mean two episodes per week.

by Anonymousreply 112July 25, 2020 2:18 PM

Each episode just *feels* like two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 113July 25, 2020 4:30 PM

Two new episodes tonight!

by Anonymousreply 114July 26, 2020 1:56 PM

Why does everyone on the show this season speak in "breathy" whispers?

It's really annoying.

Last season they all spoke normally.

Is this their version of "acting?"

by Anonymousreply 115July 26, 2020 5:01 PM

Did everyone whisper in tonight's episode?

by Anonymousreply 116July 27, 2020 1:58 AM

Laszlo mumbles...cant understand his words, wtf with him????

by Anonymousreply 117July 27, 2020 2:10 AM

At the end of the 2nd episode tonight, did it look like the red-haired nurse had black teeth? I was distracted during the show, so did I miss something or does my TV needs adjusting?

by Anonymousreply 118July 27, 2020 3:15 AM

I missed it tonight. Did Luke Evans wear those ridiculous hats again? I love him. I want to see him have sex with whoors.

by Anonymousreply 119July 27, 2020 4:16 AM

Where are the boy whores this season, goddammit??!!!!

by Anonymousreply 120July 27, 2020 4:19 AM

R118. Yes, she had black teeth, charcoal, as in the antidote to the poison used on the first baby.

by Anonymousreply 121July 27, 2020 4:22 AM

I do enjoy this show, it’s very atmospheric. The sets and costuming are well done, reminds me of “The Knick”, which was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 122July 27, 2020 4:25 AM

You know which character I can’t stand? That humbling crying señora. One doesn’t feel sympathy for her.

by Anonymousreply 123July 27, 2020 4:56 AM

Bumbling*

by Anonymousreply 124July 27, 2020 4:57 AM

Can't they replace Dakota Fanning? With anyone really. Terrible casting.

by Anonymousreply 125July 27, 2020 5:38 AM

This is the second historical drama a Fanning girl has ruined. Elle never should have been chosen to play Catherine the Great. Awful, awful casting.

by Anonymousreply 126July 27, 2020 5:42 AM

Ooh, I love Daniel Brühl. He looks more Spanish than German.

by Anonymousreply 127July 27, 2020 5:45 AM

Does bruhl have throat cancer? his voice sounds as if he is deep in a dank well.

Miss fanning's character should be eliminated before her eyeballs roll out of her buggy head, and tht little hat is put bak on some forelorn barbie doll..

only Prince Luke saves the show.

both this one and Perry mason are knee deep in dead babys......tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 128July 27, 2020 7:07 AM

Luke is the worst thing about the show R128, gruff expressionless voice and lines on his face that reek of cigarettes.

by Anonymousreply 129July 27, 2020 7:32 AM

D Fanning is the bottom talent in this cast , and alas this season has so much of her. tedious and fanny one note....

last season had more interesting sub plots, the boys whores, the slum people, ruffians, etc

IM TIRED OF THE KILLING OF THE BABIES STUFF

by Anonymousreply 130July 27, 2020 8:00 AM

The Alienist isn't that good. Babylon Berlin is far better in terms of story, costumes, and acting. Even World on Fire is better. Both shows also give gay characters.

I'm not at all educated in history & fashion like the expert who commented before, but even I noticed how unflattering Dakota's costumes were, or maybe her terrible posture/proportions. And, like he said, I did think it unusual that the rich Spanish lady was about town with no servant. Dakota's W's pronunciation is jarring and the story this season is bland. Disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 131July 27, 2020 8:20 AM

R130, for us to care about the taking of the babies, we have to care about the mothers. And none of the mothers have any character development to warrant caring about them.

by Anonymousreply 132July 27, 2020 9:35 AM

How does it compare to "Penny Dreadful"?

by Anonymousreply 133July 27, 2020 10:22 AM

Anything is better than the dreadful Penny Dreadful, flop of the season.

But Alienist getting more shitty with each episode. Why must we be forced to look more and more at FAnning's turgid face, she in it too much. More laszlo and luke la evans.

Needs new characters too, same 3 is jus to much/little, alas. Is like a replay of first season, but with dead babys thrown it for shit effect.

by Anonymousreply 134July 27, 2020 12:20 PM

R134, unfortunately, you complaints go back to the original book series. The second book was not anywhere as good as the first. The author simply did not know where to go with the characters. The "third" book, set in contemporary times also bombed as I recall.

by Anonymousreply 135July 27, 2020 12:32 PM

I'm watching it for the costumes, the atmosphere and Luke Evans. I wish he's do more work. Get better parts. He should be more famous and more successful. He can look sexy just sitting there reading a news paper. I'm not a huge Bruhl fan. He seems like a sneaky fellow. I think Dakota doesn't work for me because she has no range, and it's hard to think of her as an adult, when she still has the face of her 10 yr old self and every time I look at her I expect her to scream the way she did in War of the Worlds. When the aliens took her I was glad.

by Anonymousreply 136July 27, 2020 1:42 PM

R136, I am not sure what you mean by "sneaky", but Bruhl is definitely an actor who is only in it for the money. It is a business to him, nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 137July 27, 2020 1:46 PM

I really disagree with the poster upthread who hated Elle Fanning in The Great. I thought she nailed it, comedically and dramatically. She is, by far, the more talented sister.

by Anonymousreply 138July 27, 2020 1:58 PM

honey she dint nail this one...

by Anonymousreply 139July 27, 2020 2:19 PM

What I meant by "sneaky" is his physicality. His looks don't appeal to me. He looks like he is underhanded or something. Shifty. I'm probably wrong and he's a wonderful guy and maybe we should have dinner some day, but that's just how he strikes me. And of course standing next to Luke there's just no contest. Luke is The Sex. He is lovely, talented, charismatic, and I'd love to have dinner with him...and breakfast after that.

by Anonymousreply 140July 27, 2020 3:23 PM

[quote] IM TIRED OF THE KILLING OF THE BABIES STUFF

I totally agree.

Bring back the BOY WHORES!

by Anonymousreply 141July 27, 2020 4:33 PM

I'm enjoying the show, but aren't the accents a little all over the place?

by Anonymousreply 142July 28, 2020 4:18 PM

R142 Actually I would think late 19th Century NYC that would be very true to history.

by Anonymousreply 143July 28, 2020 4:24 PM

I want Luke to fondle me....

by Anonymousreply 144July 28, 2020 6:01 PM

Agree 100% with the comments upthread about Violet being completely wrong for the period - her body type, her costuming, her entire bearing and presentation. Fanning looks similarly out of place in a ball gown, plus she walks like a truck driver, not like a society lady. It takes me out of the story. If they’re going to adopt period speech and not use contractions, then they should learn how to carry themselves appropriately. Oddly, the minor female characters are much better in this regard.

by Anonymousreply 145July 28, 2020 10:36 PM

Violet is wearing modern eye makeup.

by Anonymousreply 146July 28, 2020 10:38 PM

Were bachelor parties really a thing then?

by Anonymousreply 147July 28, 2020 10:39 PM

R147 They go back to Ancient Roman times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148July 28, 2020 11:59 PM

Agree that the Laszlo actor needs better diction,,,,,drumble city, too bad.

shitty script this year, but yay luke, nay on blonde bitch with the tiny straw black hat in ev scene....BORING FANNING

by Anonymousreply 149July 29, 2020 12:50 AM

Violet looks too old for the role. I thought she was about 5 years younger than her godfather. I can't imagine her being about 20 years younger.

by Anonymousreply 150July 29, 2020 6:27 AM

Interview with the three leads, for those interested:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151July 30, 2020 12:06 PM

Was the female alienist at the party played by Lara Pulver? She looked like it only older.

by Anonymousreply 152July 31, 2020 11:33 PM

At least Doyle is back even though he's a bad cop, he's kinda hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153August 1, 2020 12:54 AM

wish doyle played Fanning's part....him purdy, she aint.

by Anonymousreply 154August 1, 2020 8:51 AM

I thought there was one boywhore that John befriended and worked for him?

by Anonymousreply 155August 1, 2020 9:51 AM

i think in the book its....clear he is bi, if not total homo....xoxox

by Anonymousreply 156August 1, 2020 10:46 AM

Those multiple scenes of the dude breastfeeding from crazy Libby is making me cringe.

by Anonymousreply 157August 3, 2020 2:30 AM

Why do I think something fatal is going to happen to John's fiancée? She has to go so John can be with Sara. I vote that Libby kills her in a mad frenzy of revenge for being caught.

by Anonymousreply 158August 3, 2020 2:35 AM

mmmm nice chest/tit shot of the cute gangster guy who is fukin/sukin the crazy nurse murdereress

so far them 2 are the only fun ones in this series

by Anonymousreply 159August 3, 2020 7:34 AM

Why did they make the pop eyed Fanning the main protaganist this season???

Grave error...

by Anonymousreply 160August 3, 2020 7:42 AM

I like it but I cam mot remember to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 161August 3, 2020 8:03 AM

You missing nothing, its the story of a goldfish detective lady.

by Anonymousreply 162August 3, 2020 8:42 AM

R151 Thanks for that. They can put expression into their voices. Yet they use a monotone on TV.

by Anonymousreply 163August 3, 2020 9:24 AM

R160 I see what you did there. Are you basing that on an actual announced medical diagnosis of Fanning or just making and extended joke?

by Anonymousreply 164August 3, 2020 10:58 AM

Im a bit disappointed with the slow plot, but all in all its better than most of the crap on tv

by Anonymousreply 165August 3, 2020 11:54 AM

Luke Evans is so damn sexy, but he's kind of a hard looking 41.

by Anonymousreply 166August 3, 2020 12:54 PM

Damn shame his part so small this season, prob why viewership is down.

by Anonymousreply 167August 3, 2020 1:04 PM

Ratings are down because The Alienist is now competing with Yellowstone, which is a juggernaut.

by Anonymousreply 168August 3, 2020 1:11 PM

So Moore and Howard fuck. But the previews do not look good for our sweet Luke Evans. Not good at all. And there's definitely something very spooky about Lazlo's new love interest. Although one dares not call it love, no?

by Anonymousreply 169August 3, 2020 2:03 PM

Set design.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170August 3, 2020 2:03 PM

R168 there are only 2 books so kinda moot. Then with streaming it just lives forever. (A third book was set in modern times)

by Anonymousreply 171August 3, 2020 3:05 PM

Is the 3rd book set in modern times but w/the same characters?

by Anonymousreply 172August 3, 2020 6:37 PM

R172 no- new set of characters. There is a proper follow up due late next year or 2022

by Anonymousreply 173August 3, 2020 10:08 PM

I'm new to this series, and I'm enjoying this season. I'll have to backtrack and watch the first season for sure.

by Anonymousreply 174August 4, 2020 5:15 AM

[quote]Luke Evans is so damn sexy, but he's kind of a hard looking 41.

Oddly, he's got a marionette line on one side of his face. If he added some fillers that will refresh his face and plump it up a bit, as long as he doesn't go overboard.

by Anonymousreply 175August 4, 2020 5:17 AM

Luke evans was great in taboo - at least i remembered him as great. Then i heard his album & it wasn’t good. That is all

by Anonymousreply 176August 4, 2020 6:22 AM

cAN THEY repLACE LA fannING IN THE nexT ONe ?

by Anonymousreply 177August 4, 2020 7:10 AM

Luke is a heavy smoker, that is why is face is melting.

by Anonymousreply 178August 4, 2020 7:36 AM

[quote]If he added some fillers that will refresh his face and plump it up a bit, as long as he doesn't go overboard.

Men should NEVER get "fillers"--they look even worse on them than on women. Grotesque. Quitting smoking will do more for his looks and at least won't distort his face.

by Anonymousreply 179August 4, 2020 7:55 AM

I got bored and just stopped watching after episode 4.

by Anonymousreply 180August 4, 2020 8:06 AM

[quote]Men should NEVER get "fillers"--

I'm just talking about that divet on his right side that looks like a marionette line.

by Anonymousreply 181August 4, 2020 8:33 AM

Though, I agree he should give up smoking.

by Anonymousreply 182August 4, 2020 8:33 AM

It seems to be getting lots of press this seasons with articles and interviews around every corner.

by Anonymousreply 183August 4, 2020 9:03 AM

R183 That's because it's an Emmy winning series. It deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 184August 4, 2020 9:27 AM

I have only watched up to episode 3. But The Entertainer was written in 1902 and could not be played in 1897.

by Anonymousreply 185August 4, 2020 11:56 AM

emmys can be bought like the golden globes, common knowledge.....same with oscars

by Anonymousreply 186August 4, 2020 12:20 PM

So what if he has a line on his face? It gives him character.

by Anonymousreply 187August 4, 2020 2:56 PM

R187 Okay, Luke. Premature lines are not okay for your age and career.

by Anonymousreply 188August 5, 2020 6:23 AM

R186 No Emmies bought for this show, because there is no need for it.

by Anonymousreply 189August 5, 2020 6:37 AM

You got me, R188.

I'm Fucking Luke Evans. Rolling around here to see what you knuckleheads think of my face.

by Anonymousreply 190August 5, 2020 3:42 PM

I personally liked, "Angel of Darkness" over the first novel. Even though Moore's fiance's appearance was ghastly (eye makeup?!), it was to show to new viewers how completely unsuitable she is for him, as Sara so succinctly points out in Ep 3 or 4. I still can't stand Dakota as Sara- she's supposed to be plucky and have a sense of humor, always whipping out her gun at the slightest affront.

I do love Lara Pulver as the possible love interest/colleague of Kriezler, she was a terrific Irene Adler in, "Sherlock".

by Anonymousreply 191August 5, 2020 4:29 PM

We got Luke's side-butt.

by Anonymousreply 192August 6, 2020 7:15 PM

Luke has what they used to call "rugged good looks." Any work will make him look like that disaster Rupert Everett.

by Anonymousreply 193August 6, 2020 8:59 PM

Was Laszlo drinking absinthe with the lady doctor?

by Anonymousreply 194August 6, 2020 9:03 PM

Yes, r194. That's the only drink that I can think of that involves a green liquid poured over a sugar cube.

by Anonymousreply 195August 6, 2020 9:05 PM

What happened that got Absinthe banded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196August 6, 2020 9:09 PM

R196, absinthe is pretty gross -- tastes like anise and black licorice. I remember you could only get it in the Czech Republic and a few other places before the bans were lifted.

In other news, Luke has a nice ass. Will they show Laszlo's ass?

by Anonymousreply 197August 6, 2020 10:23 PM

Luke is Welsh. He drinks and smokes. A lot. Sometimes he looks so rough I wonder if he isn't five or ten years older than he admits to. But I love him and he is sexy hot.

by Anonymousreply 198August 7, 2020 3:05 AM

Interesting, r196.

by Anonymousreply 199August 7, 2020 5:27 AM

[quote] Why did they make the pop eyed Fanning the main protaganist this season??? Grave error...

She's why I stopped watching. I tuned into the first episode, and I was done. Dakota Fanning cannot carry a series like this by herself.

They have relegated Luke Evans and Daniel Bruhl to the background this season, which is a huge mistake. They're why people tuned in last season.

I don't know why Hollywood tries to take a successful series carried by men, and then tries to twist it around and make the female the main character. Of course, in hopes that people will all of a sudden watch for the female character. WRONG. It's a bait and switch that will never work.

I'm not at all surprised that the ratings are down this season. I'm usually really good at predicting which shows will be popular and which ones won't, and I knew that this season would be a flop.

The minute I knew that they were making Dakota Fanning the star, I could tell it was over.

Thankfully, the finale is on Sunday. Poor Luke.

by Anonymousreply 200August 7, 2020 10:25 AM

The second book is about Sarah, and this season is based on the second book. So, what is your point, now, R200?

by Anonymousreply 201August 7, 2020 11:06 AM

And I like her in the role.

by Anonymousreply 202August 7, 2020 11:18 AM

Does anyone else think the female alienist is a figment of Kriezers imagination? No one else has met her or seen her. He only sees her when he drinks absinthe.

by Anonymousreply 203August 7, 2020 11:43 AM

It seemed to me Sarah was the main character in the first season as well.

by Anonymousreply 204August 7, 2020 12:04 PM

Dakota had to transition to a grown assed woman with a romance attached at some point. She is far too talents to be relegated to Rom Com bullshit. Honestly. I always felt if she could recover from War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise, and all that fucking screaming, she can do anything. Her screaming traumatized me.

by Anonymousreply 205August 7, 2020 12:12 PM

This is just DL hating on women.

Yawn. I think she's fine but my momma didn't fuck me up.

by Anonymousreply 206August 7, 2020 2:39 PM

F203 no one thinks that.

He met her at a public event (no drinking) and he saw her before the absinthe was poured.

by Anonymousreply 207August 7, 2020 2:42 PM

the female part deserved a more accomplished actress than fanning. her range of emotion covers the gamut from a to b..

by Anonymousreply 208August 7, 2020 3:57 PM

She's doing the same thing as Gillian Anderson and there were no complaints with her acting in the X-Files.

by Anonymousreply 209August 8, 2020 10:21 AM

I am not compelled by this baby-napping villainess. Her boyfriend is kinda hot, though. The narrative needs some reveals and surprises and we aren't getting enough of them. I enjoyed the simulation of one of the Vanderbilt 5th Ave fauxtaux.

by Anonymousreply 210August 8, 2020 11:10 AM

Many complained about G Anderson in x files as a jonny one note....she was awful....the hot guy in that show, and the good writing carried that show to success, not the pitiful gillian. she ruined many a movie...but she has name value cause of X.

by Anonymousreply 211August 8, 2020 11:40 AM

The actress playing Libby Hatch could play a sister or a younger version of Nicole Kidman.

by Anonymousreply 212August 8, 2020 4:13 PM

Agree, this plot not as compelling as last one, wish had more of hottie Bruhl...

by Anonymousreply 213August 8, 2020 6:13 PM

[quote] anyone else think the female alienist is a figment of Kriezers imagination?

That would be an interesting concept. It would mean Kreizler's psyche is messed up.

by Anonymousreply 214August 9, 2020 7:58 AM

[quote]The actress playing Libby Hatch could play a sister or a younger version of Nicole Kidman.

I was thinking the same thing. Well, the Nicole Kidman, younger sister thing.

by Anonymousreply 215August 9, 2020 8:15 AM

Dakota's sister, Elle, would have made an excellent Sarah. She's prettier and quite a good actress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216August 9, 2020 8:35 AM

Indeed, elle is on thousand times better actress than her fugly big sister.....dakota is an insult to the show

by Anonymousreply 217August 9, 2020 8:37 AM

I really don't mind Dakota. I think she's a good actress. It's her bad posture that bugs me.

by Anonymousreply 218August 9, 2020 9:15 AM

I like Dakota. But she has no sex appeal. No chemistry with my Luke. Nada.

by Anonymousreply 219August 9, 2020 12:43 PM

im pissed they killed off Laszlo's cute bf, that kid who hung himself....bummer

odd the director did not see they were undermining this series with too much emphasis on fanning, and not more on the studs: bruhl and evans. he mus be str8, alas.... i wager ratings are down from last series

by Anonymousreply 220August 9, 2020 12:47 PM

RIP paulie....cute boy.

by Anonymousreply 221August 9, 2020 12:50 PM

What does Bruhl smoke? his deep damaged craggy voice must have seen punishment from thousands of cigs. 2 bad. throat cancer is not pretty.

by Anonymousreply 222August 9, 2020 12:57 PM

He rolls his own R222

by Anonymousreply 223August 9, 2020 1:18 PM

R218 Isn’t she rigid like that because of the corsets?

by Anonymousreply 224August 9, 2020 1:30 PM

Luke Evans' next project:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225August 9, 2020 2:38 PM

Fuck Disney.

I prefer this project and like the entire cast, even the German drug addict.

by Anonymousreply 226August 9, 2020 3:16 PM

So it wraps up tonight, somehow this seems even quicker than a bingeable streaming series?

by Anonymousreply 227August 9, 2020 4:41 PM

So, I’m a getting this right? Libby’s boyfriend supports her in stealing babies because it will prolong her ability to nurse and he too wants her breast milk? Also, what did women who lost babies or gave them up for adoption do before breast pumps were invented to relieve them of the fluid?

by Anonymousreply 228August 10, 2020 1:14 AM

Did the costumers hat Fanning? tht black barbie doll hat on her head, its ridic and makes her look like a fool. Makes her eyes look enormous.

This season so weak, letting tht woman lead the show is a poor decision.

by Anonymousreply 229August 10, 2020 6:22 AM

The crook who is sukiin the tits of the killer red head is hot, more of him! he can drain my tits and fuk em up if he wants.

by Anonymousreply 230August 10, 2020 6:28 AM

That actress playing Luke Evans' bethrothed has a chin from witches hell.

Let us pray its fake.

by Anonymousreply 231August 10, 2020 6:54 AM

I think Dakota looks different this time, as she has gained considerable weight.

Luke looks even hotter, in that tight white shirt.

Hoping for a part 3....love this series, despite this seasons disappointments.

by Anonymousreply 232August 10, 2020 7:10 AM

I hope that cute young lab/investigator the crook shot does not die...hid adorable. marcus, his name

dont die marcus!

shit i hate this show~ he does die. FUK FUK

by Anonymousreply 233August 10, 2020 7:55 AM

Bummer, was hoping luke evans and dr laszlo would dance off into the sunset hand in hand.

Luke throws Bruhl onto the sand, tearing his clothes off, fucking his ripe hole with every fibre of passion in his soul.

Dakota stands in the distance, weeping, slowly walkiing into the ocean ahead of her, putting an end to her 8 episodes of misery.

Throngs of people on the dunes cheer !

by Anonymousreply 234August 10, 2020 8:09 AM

What was the relationship between Hearst and Violet? The use “Godfather” but it almost seems like she’s supposed to be his illegitimate child.

Did Byrne ever tell anyone to put the lotion in the basket?

by Anonymousreply 235August 10, 2020 9:00 AM

who did luke wind up with? messy ending. and bruhl, he went off with the witchy lady? dakota, i dont care...

by Anonymousreply 236August 10, 2020 10:02 AM

This can't end like this!!!!!I want Dakota to be with Luke. I want that Viollet creature, to get with Hearst. YOu know he wants her.

by Anonymousreply 237August 10, 2020 3:08 PM

This season was horrible.

I was expecting so much more, especially after a fantastic first season.

Unfortunately, it was extremely disappointing.

Whoever was responsible for Season 2 should be FIRED.

by Anonymousreply 238August 10, 2020 6:50 PM

Yup s2 was terrible. I didn't like almost everything about it. The production design and how it was shot was good, everything else - the storylines and performances sucked. Dakota was the worst of it, her exaggerated 'W' pronunciation so jarring.

by Anonymousreply 239August 11, 2020 12:20 AM

I enjoyed it. I did think Season 1 was better than the second season, but to be fair, Caleb Carr's first book was better than the second one in the series.

I would love for this same director and cast to do a series based on Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle."

by Anonymousreply 240August 11, 2020 12:25 AM

Boring season. The obvious lesson learned is that boy whores make everything better.

by Anonymousreply 241August 11, 2020 1:10 AM

Guess what kids?

Fanning is going to be the STAR of a new show based on this character.

That is what the ending with the ladies Detective Agency was about.

Will also be shot on location in Budapest with visits from her former castmates but she is the top dog in the new show. 13 episodes coming soon.

by Anonymousreply 242August 11, 2020 8:27 AM

Is it going to be called The Number One Lady’s Detectives Agency?

by Anonymousreply 243August 11, 2020 9:03 AM

Miss fleming ruined what could have been a decent season,,,,she acts like she is auditioning for a harold pinter play.. she was stoic as a spinster at a funeral, and smiled 3 times the whole season.

they knew the plot stunk, but had to suffer thru, shoddy writing.

frittered away the talents of bruhl and evans.

by Anonymousreply 244August 11, 2020 9:16 AM

R243 working title as they scout locations.

Miss Howard's Agency.

by Anonymousreply 245August 11, 2020 9:23 AM

Did the producers watch the dailys? did they see the humorless mess this was? did they see the error so much of Dakota in the storyline?

what a waste of good $

next season: dakota has married luke and retired to kansas to raise 4 kids, knits and makes grits fer the 'men visitors' to her hubby..

sells plaster casts of luke's anus...

by Anonymousreply 246August 11, 2020 10:21 AM

I liked it.

by Anonymousreply 247August 11, 2020 2:35 PM

So the whole season was that Libby had issues with her mother and decided to steal babies to replace the one she gave away.... ooof.

by Anonymousreply 248August 11, 2020 4:59 PM

I called it at R34:

[quote] So is Dakota Fanning the "STAH" this season? Last season it was hard to tell, because each of the characters seemed to get equal time. Even though Daniel Bruhl got top billing. If this is going to be all about Dakota Fanning and "girl power," in the early 1900's, then I'm out. I've had sufficient on that topic.

Obviously this season turned out to be all about Dakota F. and "girl power," especially given what R242 posted.

I told you so!

by Anonymousreply 249August 11, 2020 7:09 PM

this series introduces social-historical info that it should do more with. Hearst should have a bigger role and be more fleshed out. At the time of this narrative, Hearst papers were populist, for example.

Also the kid-napper - so they made a point of her being from a good family ("grew up on Prospect Park", "lived in Paris" yadayada) but it was made late and wasn't used to deepen a class related pathology - she was kidnapping well-born babies. And what of her living with that (HOT) low-life titty-milk sucker. Slumming!

Also exactly who rich is each main character. Sara Howard is very old family but not Robber Baron rich? There is a mention of the family house in Rhinebeck. John Moore - he's in the social register but not in the top tier of wealth of same?

by Anonymousreply 250August 11, 2020 7:11 PM

this season seemed shorter, or maybe it was cause it was more shallow....

screams they had naive writers, not same as last time....hope part 3 is a return to form, and miss fanning is demoted back to where she belong.

by Anonymousreply 251August 12, 2020 11:33 PM

I thought the villainess was over the top. She was hammy instead of being scary. Her hysteria was contrived. There just wasn't enough substance to sustain the series, IMO. I kept thinking it would end and it kept going on. The girl, Libby was mad and crazy and I hated that one f the brother detectives go murdered. And Dakota just crushed the energy out of the story. I get what they were going for, but she has no range, no subtlety, no nuance. Her lack of chemistry with Luke was so evident so obvious I was embarrassed for them. You could see the strain. He wasn't happy with her at all.

by Anonymousreply 252August 13, 2020 4:02 AM

^^nailed it. right on point

by Anonymousreply 253August 13, 2020 4:11 AM

I wonder why Stevie Taggert was recast? They barely show his face in season 2 despite the fact that the actor they replaced the original with bears a strong resemblance to him.

by Anonymousreply 254August 15, 2020 1:17 AM

R254 No idea who he played...clearly I did not notice.

by Anonymousreply 255August 15, 2020 9:47 AM

R255 Stevie Taggert is one of the characters. He's the boy who drives Lazlo's carriage. He even went undercover in season 1 as a boy whore in Paresis Hall to help catch the killer.

by Anonymousreply 256August 15, 2020 8:17 PM

Just finished it.

Great period piece, dialogue is often more than a bit stilted/over the top, characters like Byrnes are very one dimensional, but did not ruin it for me, it's supposed to feel somewhat like a fantasy rather than an accurate rendering with HBO antiheroes.

Costumes/settings were great.

Love that gay costumer designers are hissing about minor inaccuracies on this thread.

Don't quite see comparison to Babylon Berlin other than both were big production period pieces.

by Anonymousreply 257September 7, 2020 12:03 AM

They also use the term "serial killer," which wasn't even coined until the 1970s (by FBI agent Robert K. Ressler). Sloppy!

by Anonymousreply 258October 31, 2020 9:44 PM

Also, "sounds like a plan." In the mid-1890s!

by Anonymousreply 259October 31, 2020 9:49 PM

The boy whores are essential.

by Anonymousreply 260October 31, 2020 10:23 PM

Fanning is too much of a lightweight for this role; the character needs some gravitas. Horribly miscast.

by Anonymousreply 261October 31, 2020 10:23 PM

Am I really the one and only who is going to praise Rose McEwen’s (Libby) performance? She was the best by far from all the cast. And specially considering this is her first on screen character ever.

She can go from crazy bitch to hurt weak woman in seconds, Oscar worthy performance. I will be surprise if she doesn’t get a nom for the Golden Globes.

I agree Dakota is hard to watch in this role.

by Anonymousreply 262November 17, 2020 8:48 PM

Has the bitch r90 gotten laid yet? God she's tiresome!

by Anonymousreply 263December 9, 2020 9:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!