Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Haunted houses

Any experiences DLers? Has anyone visited one of the supposedly most haunted places or houses?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232November 1, 2020 9:30 AM

My housh is full of spiritsh, but I don't know about ghostshs

by Anonymousreply 1July 15, 2020 6:20 AM

Yes, I visited the Amityville Horror. It's awesome (and smallish) inside.

by Anonymousreply 2July 15, 2020 6:20 AM

R2 cool, did it have an eerie feel to it?

by Anonymousreply 3July 15, 2020 6:32 AM

I don't think a lot of old houses are haunted, they just look like stereotypical haunted houses we've all been conditioned to see as full of ghosts by Halloween and Hollywood. While there are old houses with a history that makes them more likely to be haunted, not all are. Sometimes places that are haunted are pretty ordinary.

I also think Amityville was a profitable hoax for many of the people involved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 15, 2020 6:36 AM

Yes, Amityville was a hoax.

by Anonymousreply 5July 15, 2020 6:38 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 15, 2020 6:46 AM

There isaha UN Ted house in Hannible Missouri but I can't remember the name.

by Anonymousreply 7July 15, 2020 6:47 AM

Every hotel has its standard haunted room with the some variation of the jilted lover/suicide story. It helps get free advertising on ghost shows so paranormal groups will rent the room and investigate in the off season.

by Anonymousreply 8July 15, 2020 6:50 AM

R7 this one? You’ve been? I think the dolls look like the scariest aspect of that house but then I hate dolls(and clowns). There’s also a haunted church there it seems.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 15, 2020 6:54 AM

R7 the church

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 15, 2020 6:56 AM

I’m a skeptic who has explored old graveyards and abandoned buildings with absolutely no run-ins with supernatural phenomena. But I’ll admit that the Winchester house in San Jose had a VERY creepy vibe, even in the daytime, with a tour guide.

I even wondered if architecture could receive and transmit negative energy, because of the sinister presence throughout, especially in the laundry room and next to an old horse wagon parked outside, in BACK of the house. Weird, considering those were two of the very few “normal” parts of this bizarre mansion I’ll never forget that feeling, although now I realize it was probably the result of jet lag and an over-stimulated imagination.

by Anonymousreply 11July 15, 2020 7:05 AM

R4 thanks watched it partly and will watch the the rest it seems to be more of a partly unsolved case than anything occult

by Anonymousreply 12July 15, 2020 7:09 AM

I did the Winchester tour with someone that smelled like cat piss. Unfortunately that’s what I remember.

by Anonymousreply 13July 15, 2020 7:11 AM

R11 architecture of course can give negative vibes when it’s inconsistent with the grounds on which its build or when your living room has prominent stairs in the centre. I don’t know much about feng shui but I believe energy needs to flow. I mean would you feel good sleeping with your head towards the door of your bedroom? Most people don’t, it feels off. Well my opinion. Other opinions are more than welcome.

by Anonymousreply 14July 15, 2020 7:17 AM

The most eerie "haunted" hotel that I have visited (about 5 times) is the Crescent Hotel in the tiny, historic, very weird town of Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Morning, day and night at this hotel = bizarre. The overarching feeling is not exactly ominous, but something is very, very off about the place. For me, my sense of spacial scale, temperature and balance has always been disturbed from the moment I enter the building until the moment I leave. The overall effect is that of a mild drug trip of some sort - but neither very positive or negative. The hotel's history is quite gruesome - under one owner in particular. The historic town is also thought to be one of the major energy vortexes in the world and certainly one of the strongest in this country. A very scenically beautiful and also VERY odd little town.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 15, 2020 7:30 AM

R14 I think it was probably what you describe - bad energy flow, rather than my imagination amplifying the legend of Sarah Winchester and her ghosts (which is pretty hokey and lame anyhow.) IRL she was a mentally disturbed woman and the strange architecture is a reflection of her warped mind.

by Anonymousreply 16July 15, 2020 7:48 AM

I'm not a particularly sensitive or spiritual person, but yes, some places do have bad vibes.

Which doesn't necessarily mean the place is haunted. Okay, I lived in an old neighborhood with a lot of Victorian houses for a while. I liked to go for walks, and one day early in my residence I passed a beautiful old house... that gave me a creepy feeling. And I got the same creepy feeling every time I passed the place, even though it was a beautiful house and seemed well kept up. After living there for years I saw a list of local "Haunted Places", and the house was entered as supposedly begin haunted. So I looked up a little more information about the house, and found that it had been uninhabited for years and years, because of a familial property dispute that kept going back to court for years, or decades. And then one day, there was an article in the local paper about the property dispute being resolved, and people moved back in. The house lost that creepy feeling, which must have been due to its being empty.

by Anonymousreply 17July 15, 2020 10:34 AM

I lived in an apartment building that was allegedly built on the site of William Bayard Jr's home where Alexander Hamilton died. The building was supposedly haunted by Alexander Hamilton who was fixated with modern plumbing. Toilets did flush in the middle of the night for no reason.

by Anonymousreply 18July 15, 2020 10:51 AM

R17 thanks for sharing. In my own expierence the energy or vibe of a place does change when different people move in. When people love place and treat it with love the vibe gets better.

by Anonymousreply 19July 15, 2020 10:51 AM

I've been through that Winchester Mansion that Jason Blum and Helen Mirren did a movie about.

It's very creepy and clearly the product of a deranged, O.C.D. mind with A LOT of cash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 15, 2020 3:26 PM

Simon Cowell:

[quote]The following day I heard this crashing noise and all the stuff had fallen in the kitchen. There was no logical explanation.

I'm sure binge-watching PARANORMAL ACTIVITIES 1-9 had nothing to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 21July 15, 2020 3:39 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 15, 2020 4:04 PM

R18 that would definitely scare me....did you feel ok living there with that type of stuff going on

by Anonymousreply 23July 16, 2020 11:28 AM

Is the Winchester house worth a visit? Two people have been there. The story has always fascinated me

by Anonymousreply 24July 16, 2020 11:29 AM

R23, yes. It wasn't a nightly occurrence. One of the tenants claimed to have seen Alexander Hamilton, was so startled that she jumped back and missed being hit by a kitchen cabinet that fell from the wall. I always though the story was BS. If she jumped back, she would have been closer to the cabinet not farther away.

by Anonymousreply 25July 16, 2020 11:32 AM

R25 glad nothing happened to you.

by Anonymousreply 26July 16, 2020 11:40 AM

Opinions on the Connecticut haunting or is it a hoax too?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 16, 2020 11:41 AM

I grew up in one though it wasn’t famous in any way. Laundry list of not-very-scary experiences that I’ve posted before to receive the expected yawns and taunts.

by Anonymousreply 28July 16, 2020 12:10 PM

R28 Do you have a link to the thread where you posted it? It doesn’t need to be scary. I just find all this stuff interesting.

by Anonymousreply 29July 16, 2020 12:54 PM

R4: Not even that guy's toupee is a credible hoax.

The area where the Battle of Atlanta took place on the SE side of the city seems haunted to some people. To me, it was just the depressing-ness that is Atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 30July 16, 2020 1:00 PM

My Grandma's old house is supposed to be haunted. I say "supposed to be" since I never had any encounters, but my late Dad and all my cousins reported encounters. My Dad told me that his family was sitting in the eat-in kitchen, when they saw a ghost standing in the back stairwell, and my Grandpa supposedly chased the ghost up the stairs, yelling, "Get the hell out of my house!" My Dad told the story as an example of how my Grandpa was a no-nonsense man of action. He wasn't curious about ghosts.

My cousins, on the other hand, all insist the house is haunted, but won't share any details as to what they observed. They used to spend the night with Grandma, and all I heard is, "once Grandma said 'nitey-night' and turned the lights out, the shenanigans would begin." I've never been able to get them to elaborate, but they all stare at their laps when the subject arises, so I don't press for details.

Here's the house itself (my family name is no longer listed:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 16, 2020 3:31 PM

Thanks for sharing R31 so your cousins are really scared or really afraid or ashamed to talk(maybe both). To me the atmosphere doesn’t feel great when looking at the house but it more likely the area than the house. Your granddad’s experience sounds profound. He never saw anything again after that?

by Anonymousreply 32July 16, 2020 3:52 PM

[quote] Yes, I visited the Amityville Horror. It's awesome (and smallish) inside. —Ocean Dr.

It was haunted but has been cleansed many times and is clear. Long Island has lots of haunted spots.

by Anonymousreply 33July 16, 2020 4:11 PM

Which places or houses R33? It has to do with the history of the area I suppose

by Anonymousreply 34July 16, 2020 4:13 PM

R32, Since my Dad grew up in that house, I would have expected him to have more stories, but he didn't take a 'romantic' or 'Gothic' view of ghosts. My cousins are very matter-of-fact regarding ghosts (it runs in my German-American family), and they've joked extensively about my late Aunt visiting and pounding on the walls of her old house after my Uncle died, because the two sisters were fighting over the will. My one cousin's son and his girlfriend also heard the pounding: they all joked about it one Thanksgiving. So my cousins' reaction to their childhood experiences comes about (I believe) because I think they felt that, as children, they were powerless, and could only hide under the covers. They supposedly yelled at my Aunt when she is supposed to have shown up pounding on the walls.

by Anonymousreply 35July 16, 2020 4:58 PM

I saw the Winchester Mystery House when I was a kid, in the late 1960's before they fixed it up. It was an overcast day, which made it even scarier. I went there again about 40 years ago, and they had painted and spuced the place up. Didn't seem scary then.

by Anonymousreply 36July 16, 2020 5:19 PM

Of the famous sites, there's a little house that used to be a school in Newburyport, MA, that was the location of one of the most frightening hauntings of the late 19th century. A child with a bandaged face was seen, along with floating arms, by the teacher and students; there was also a crawling golden light that made the teacher and students feel faint and ill for hours. There's also a very grim estate in Vermont where owners have been driven out by the activities, with one woman reduced to sleeping in the kitchen. It was open for a tour at some point and a child stuck out her tongue at an old portrait - in front of several witnesses, including the guide, the portrait flew off the wall and struck her. Not a nice place.

Near to where I live a house from the 1600s was converted into a small office building. The people who worked there always left before it got dark. Evidently something came out of the upstairs closet at that time and made life unpleasant for those who stayed. Not sure if the building is still extant - this was about 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 37July 16, 2020 5:51 PM

Both houses where my late father lived were “haunted” by his depression. We found a sad message written down near the baseboards on the ugly busy floral wallpaper in one of the upstairs bedrooms. We think a teenage girl wrote it. When he died, my sister and I let them bank take the house. It wasn’t worth much, anyway, and it had an oppressive atmosphere. Someone eventually bought it and fixed it up, but it still looks like a total downer.

Bad vibes even before he lived there.

by Anonymousreply 38July 16, 2020 5:59 PM

R36 I believe the estate is required to renovate and maintain the Winchester house as required for its preservation because it’s a historical landmark. The mansion was in excellent condition when I visited it in the early 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 39July 16, 2020 6:24 PM

If you do some research online about the Winchester House, there are a lot of posts by tour guides who say they were told by the owners to play up the hauntings even though true accounts are very few and far between. They freely admit the odd architecture and background - especially much of the later which has been either made up or exaggerated over time - has an effect on you, but not much in paranormal events. At least nothing that can't be explained.

by Anonymousreply 40July 16, 2020 6:44 PM

r29 I was r93 in the thread linked below. Took me a bit to find it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 16, 2020 8:33 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 16, 2020 11:31 PM

R41 thanks!!

by Anonymousreply 43July 17, 2020 7:51 AM

I've been to the Winchester Mystery House 5-6 times, man and boy.

Quite frankly, I thought it was dull. Just this weird old house with odd features everywhere, no bad or strange vibe at all, ever.

by Anonymousreply 44July 17, 2020 11:20 AM

Yes I agree. The Winchester mystery house is creepy because of its history and architecture, but haunted? No. It’s just makes for a good mythology. And that recent movie was total trash.

by Anonymousreply 45July 17, 2020 1:47 PM

I don't know about haunted but I did stay in a hotelroom once where the curtains would move by themselves. AC was of, windows were closed. No draft.

by Anonymousreply 46July 17, 2020 1:57 PM

I stayed in a house where a young man committed suicide in 1912

by Anonymousreply 47July 17, 2020 4:18 PM

You stayed in the house in 1912? How old are you?

by Anonymousreply 48July 17, 2020 4:25 PM

No, it was a few years ago. It was the suicide that happened in 1912

by Anonymousreply 49July 17, 2020 4:29 PM

Anything eerie R49? Hope you didn’t sleep in his bed

by Anonymousreply 50July 17, 2020 4:33 PM

Ghosts and spirits aren’t real. Grow the fuck up, peeps.

by Anonymousreply 51July 17, 2020 5:50 PM

Oh yes they are.

by Anonymousreply 52July 17, 2020 5:52 PM

R52 agree there are too many occurrences we can’t explain and science is flawed and seems to have become a new religion

by Anonymousreply 53July 17, 2020 6:32 PM

The girl who does my eyebrows went to New Orleans recently and stayed in two different hotels that were haunted.

She did report weird things in both hotels.

In one, there was a sort of light moving about in the hotel room.

The other one was beyond disturbing, don’t know how she lasted the night there: the nightstand drawers would open and close by themselves.

The room had a balcony with furniture and they heard it moving all night. She also says that while her husband was singing to her, she heard a woman, just next to her own head singing the same song back to her.

It was freaky.

by Anonymousreply 54July 17, 2020 8:01 PM

People who say their houses are haunted are trying to make money or get attention or most likely both.

by Anonymousreply 55July 17, 2020 9:25 PM

I don't believe in haunted houses and there are definitely some hoaxes going on here.

But make-believe is fun!

by Anonymousreply 56July 17, 2020 10:37 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 17, 2020 10:38 PM

That Winchester House has bad mojo - even in photos. Nope!😟I love reading about haunted houses and watching spooky movies, but would never visit a place with a haunted reputation. Great thread BTW!👍

by Anonymousreply 58July 17, 2020 11:19 PM

Anybody visit the Warren museum in CT? I would love to hear about that place (since I am too chickenshit to go)!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 17, 2020 11:23 PM

[quote] Sorry, The Warren's Occult Museum is permanently closed.

^WAS too chickenshit to go.

by Anonymousreply 60July 17, 2020 11:40 PM

Darn! Hopefully, someone on here visited the museum before it closed down.

by Anonymousreply 61July 17, 2020 11:42 PM

r61 I wouldn’t even watch a YouTube video of that place!

by Anonymousreply 62July 17, 2020 11:45 PM

So the Warrens have a basement full of cursed objects, just like in all those Blumhouse movies and they charge tourists to visit as a "museum."

That's a total hoax but I will totally go if I'm ever in Connecticut!

by Anonymousreply 63July 17, 2020 11:45 PM

The museum is toured in the Connecticut haunting video @ r25 by the Warrens' nephew John Zaffis.

It's at 33:50 in the video and it looks just like the version in ANNABELLE and other CONJURING movies.

by Anonymousreply 64July 17, 2020 11:49 PM

Sorry, r25 has the video.

Annabelle's "prison" / cash cow @ 33:50. The movie says the cursed items are "bound" by magic spells, just like John Zaffis:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 17, 2020 11:51 PM

I realize that some places are publicized for tourism, but my Grandma's house certainly never was. On the other hand, Cincinnati Music Hall is considered haunted: part of it was built over a Potter's Field. I went in on a weekday to buy tickets from the ticket office that was still in the lobby, and asked the attendant if she had ever had any encounters. She just said, "Well, they're friendly, so they don't scare me." Anyway, they give ghost tours around Halloween, but I've never paid for one of those.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 17, 2020 11:53 PM

I’m skeptical of The Warrens. I think they shrewdLy exploited interest in the paranormal for financial gain. I always felt like Lorraine was playing a role and was always “on” in public. This isn’t to say that the paranormal isn’t real, but when fame and money are involved, things get murky.

by Anonymousreply 67July 18, 2020 1:11 AM

I can’t believe grown adults believe in ghosts and haunted houses. Idiots.

by Anonymousreply 68July 18, 2020 1:21 AM

Stop stinking up the thread R68. You don’t believe - fine for you - keep it fucking moving.

by Anonymousreply 69July 18, 2020 2:07 AM

I stayed at a haunted B&B in Virginia

by Anonymousreply 70July 18, 2020 2:13 AM

How was it R70?

by Anonymousreply 71July 18, 2020 2:17 AM

R71, very nice

by Anonymousreply 72July 18, 2020 2:22 AM

R24: More than 15 years ago, I visited the Winchester Mystery House with two friends. I don't remember the admission price, but I do remember that they charged a lot for a house tour.

Many of the rooms and hallways are surprisingly small for such a sprawling mansion. The tour guide said the interior was scaled that way because Sarah Winchester was a tiny woman. Psychics claim she does not haunt the house, but two of her servants do (a man and a woman). They say there's a ghost dog, too. The belief is that ghosts either don't know they are dead or refuse to believe they are dead. The ghost servants are still on duty and view all the visitors as intruders.

I was part of a group tour and did not feel any creepiness. The most memorable thing was when my friends and I passed through a definite cold spot in one of the hallways. The coldness occupied a small space: you go through it in two seconds and then the surrounding temperature is normal/comfortable again. Supposedly, it meant that we walked through a ghost. I didn't feel any negative energy, just the cold.

by Anonymousreply 73July 18, 2020 3:22 AM

Cool story R73!

by Anonymousreply 74July 18, 2020 3:25 AM

Supposedly there’s a hidden wine cellar Sarah had built over because she found a handprint on the wall and took it as an ominous omen. It was probably just a workman who left it, since there were people working in the house around the clock. There’s no confirmation of this wine cellar, and it sounds like fanciful lore.

by Anonymousreply 75July 18, 2020 3:30 AM

Thanks, R74.

I wrote that I didn't feel any creepiness. But if I wasn't surrounded by people and if the tour was at night, I might have felt differently. They have special flashlight tours during Halloween or on a Friday the 13th. Yup. The guided tour is at night and you walk in the dark house with only a flashlight for illumination. Spooky fun for Halloween, although many online reviewers complained that they couldn't see much of anything (naturally) and that the whole thing felt rushed.

by Anonymousreply 76July 18, 2020 4:02 AM

I’m surprised they do that at night given the liability if someone falls. Maybe that have to sign a waiver.

My biggest memory of that place was seeing Back To The Future at those theaters next door back in the 80s when it first came out. The house is super creepy at night from the outside. Lots of guard dogs.

by Anonymousreply 77July 18, 2020 4:08 AM

R15 this doesn't surprise me given that the town is centered around natural hot springs. There tends to be significant reports of paranormal activity in places with natural springs, moving water, and/or high concentrations of limestone. I am no expert, but I've read that it's been theorized that it has to do with electromagnetism that give the "something off" feeling when you are there. Animals naturally respond to things like this as well. I don't know if it's purely an environmental anomaly or something intelligent, but I've also been to places where there is a noticeable "off" feeling that you cannot really put into words.

by Anonymousreply 78July 18, 2020 4:12 AM

They should do a spook alley for Halloween and Friday the 13th.

Slow down the tour, have some gimmicky scares or maybe even a seance based on historical legends of the Winchester house.

Leave people in a section of the house they have to escape with the flashlights ‚— like an escape room or a maze.

They can do that without hoaxing people. They'd just have to admit they were behind the hauntings, like a professional spook alley.

That would make a lot of money without defrauding people! It would be fun.

by Anonymousreply 79July 18, 2020 4:14 AM

The third AMITYVILLE movie depicted the source of paranormal activity in the house as a "well to Hell" in the basement, r78.

An amusing rubber demon popped out of it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80July 18, 2020 4:20 AM

R79: I would have a panic attack! There is a haunted house attraction in NYC called the Bane House. It is a haunted house escape room. I walked by it every day on my way to work. I was curious, but would never do it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 18, 2020 4:22 AM

Anything cool like that and the public will fuck it up

. You know a Karen with one of those enormous strollers will show up with a newborn in it and pitch a fit because they won’t let her in for the Halloween tour due to safety concerns. She arrives with the local news station programmed into her phone.

by Anonymousreply 82July 18, 2020 4:25 AM

[quote]One of the tenants claimed to have seen Alexander Hamilton

Could it have been a really big prank $10 bill?

by Anonymousreply 83July 18, 2020 4:30 AM

Or maybe they have an employee by that name lol

by Anonymousreply 84July 18, 2020 4:34 AM

I’ve lived in three houses that were haunted. Not the usual shit you see in movies but it was still scary. In at least one of the places I think it may have been poltergeist activity caused by my teenager sister.

by Anonymousreply 85July 18, 2020 4:38 AM

I have always believed in the supernatural and find it weird when people outright dismiss it. My Catholic mother always believed in ghosts because she grew up in a haunted house, but my dad, a staunch atheist, has always completely refuted the idea. I'm not sure that "ghosts" are necessarily what we think they are, but the notion that we humans can explain everything that happens on this planet seems absurd to me. There is a lot that we don't know, and I think anything supernatural falls under that category. People who claim to understand exactly what it is (i.e. psychics, those who commune with the "dead," etc.) are merely theorizing. I think science will one day be able to explain it, if we as a species survive that long.

by Anonymousreply 86July 18, 2020 4:51 AM

Very true. Paranormal expert is an oxymoron. The only experts are dead people.

by Anonymousreply 87July 18, 2020 5:03 AM

Human remains were found at The Crescent Hotel! 😳

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 18, 2020 5:06 AM

It always irked me that people who express interest in "UFOs" are so quickly labeled as crackpots, when the very acronym indicates a lack of knowledge. I think, when people talk about hauntings, they're often talking about very different experiences. Some are easier to explain, but some defy explanation with our current understanding. I'm open-minded about the subject, but haven't really had any personal experiences, other than what so many of my family members have shared with me, and they don't have any reason to try to mislead me.

by Anonymousreply 89July 18, 2020 5:14 AM

[quote]The building was supposedly haunted by Alexander Hamilton who was fixated with modern plumbing. Toilets did flush in the middle of the night for no reason.

Well, it IS "the room where it happens."

by Anonymousreply 90July 18, 2020 5:23 AM

Good point. UFOs doesn’t necessarily mean aliens. Just an unexplained sighting. Often times the paranormal has a legitimate explanation. It’s not always ghosts.

by Anonymousreply 91July 18, 2020 5:31 AM

R62 R59 I wouldn’t watch or go admire the brave people who would dare to go. It feels off, too much negativity surrounding the objects(which doesn’t necessarily they were haunted) oh and I hate dolls😖

by Anonymousreply 92July 18, 2020 7:15 AM

Most cemeteries at night are scarier because of all the weirdos who hang out there at night. I’d be more freaked out by running into some freak than a ghost!

by Anonymousreply 93July 18, 2020 7:23 AM

R66 what a beautiful building the music hall. Did you ever feel creeped out?

by Anonymousreply 94July 18, 2020 7:36 AM

Agree about UFOs. I don’t believe in the standard grey aliens👽 but I feel it’s arrogant to think we’re the only “intelligent”(ugh) life in the universe.

by Anonymousreply 95July 18, 2020 7:38 AM

R93 some are creepy during the day too. I stated at a hotel once across from this one. The hotel was awful, things would move in my room or fall off the nightstand and the cemetery had a bad vibe to it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96July 18, 2020 7:43 AM

stayed

by Anonymousreply 97July 18, 2020 7:43 AM

For those interested in a good true ghost story, this was a creepy read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98July 18, 2020 7:46 AM

I’ve been to that famously haunted mansion in Disneyland, where grim, grinning ghosts come out to socialize.

by Anonymousreply 99July 18, 2020 8:00 AM

r99 it has its own ghost story, as does the Mansion in Orlando.

by Anonymousreply 100July 18, 2020 8:08 AM

R98 thanks for sharing, what to you was the most scary part?

I’m going to order it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 101July 18, 2020 8:17 AM

It has been awhile but just a well written account of a real haunting. Seems legit. I do remember one detail but don’t want to give it away. Hope you enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 102July 18, 2020 9:48 AM

It’s amazing what tricks the mind can play on us.

by Anonymousreply 103July 18, 2020 9:58 AM

r103 at my dad’s wake I was talking with the wife of the couple who lived in my childhood home after me, and who were just moving out themselves.

She said she was going to miss the place, and I responded “yeah, but now you can live in a house where you won’t hear footsteps in the basement in broad daylight when there’s nobody else home.”

Her eyes widened and she nodded her head in agreement. My much older sister heard them as well.

by Anonymousreply 104July 18, 2020 10:14 AM

R94, No, I've never felt creeped out at Music Hall, but I've almost always been there for performances (Ballet, Symphony, Opera), so I've always been there when it's crowded. The stories of encounters almost always take place when there's only one or a few other people there. The 'ghost tours' are deliberately set up to induce scares, which is why I've never taken one.

by Anonymousreply 105July 18, 2020 1:30 PM

I love these stories, although I’m not a believer.

Based on some comments here, I read that book “Spindrift”. It was about the Manhattan townhouse that was supposedly haunted and had some link to the murder of Lisa Steinberg. The author struck me as a highly-strung kook. I kept waiting for something truly eerie to happen. SPOILER: It didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 106July 18, 2020 1:55 PM

None of the sixteen at the link, however I did visit the White House, and it's haunted by a menacingly evil orange ghoul.

by Anonymousreply 107July 18, 2020 2:02 PM

The Copycat Thread Thief saw that somebody was getting more mileage out of haunted houses than him, so he had to pollute DL with a BRAND, NEW THREAD!

Spirits of the Further, we call upon you to ignite the grease fire around the DL Troll!

by Anonymousreply 108July 18, 2020 2:58 PM

I lived in an apt that was in an1880s office building in the french Quarter . It was hastily converted during ww2 so it had a very odd layout . There was one room at the bottom of our stairs that was basically a windowless box built over what had been the carriage way ,it just sorta hung there . One night we got it into our heads to have a seance in that room as it was very dark and no ventilation . We set up a pentagram with tea candles ,and all 5 of us sat in the circle and one friend who was a "psychic" started calling spirits .

I have to explain the layout so you can get an idea of how scary what happened was. Our apt was at the front of the building and was 3 levels ,there was no communal stairs or walls as the rest of the units were in the back. So we are sitting in this hot,airless room with candles lit and all of a sudden there was this blast of cold air . I mean cold . In New Orleans in august. Half the candles went out ,and the others barely stayed lit. Of course that freaked us out as we knew damn well there was no air conditioning in that room . But we kept on . Right above the room was our kitchen and dining room . All of a sudden we hear this really heavy thump right above our heads . That combined with the cold blast of air had us all really nervous. As we are sitting there looking up,we clearly hear heavy footsteps walk across our dining room heading to the stairs right by the room . And they start coming down .

Suddenly this air of menace permeated the room ,I mean even the most non believer would have felt it , and I just knew in my heart that I did NOT want to be in there when whatever it was reached the bottom . Next thing you know all the candles go out at once and and we all scream,jump up and race for the door to run out of the apt .Later after we built up the nerve to go back in the apt , we find a knife that had been sitting on the counter had somehow ended up all the way across the room on the floor , a good 15 feet. There was a dent in the wall where it had hit . After that,that place never felt the same and it wasnt much longer before I left New Orleans. I always had a blast there,but I never wanted to stay there and was never sorry when I left .

by Anonymousreply 109July 18, 2020 3:17 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110July 18, 2020 3:22 PM

Great story R109! That is why people shouldn’t mess with seances, spirit guides, and witchcraft etc. that they don’t understand!

by Anonymousreply 111July 18, 2020 3:30 PM

R108 keeps happening with too many threads lockdown boredom and post lockdown boredom, covid tiredness.....

I appreciate everyone sharing experiences, had a good time reading here so far.

by Anonymousreply 112July 18, 2020 3:44 PM

R109😳 the knife part is scary but I’ve seen objects move. Happy you made it out in one piece.

When trying to communicate with the other side always be careful. Don’t use ouija boards, pendulums etc if you have no knowledge or experience. sorry if I sound like a worried parent DL but really these things can have negative effects if you don’t know what you’re doing. Not talking demons and evil just that there are spirits who are traumatised and some aren’t, you want to know what you’re summoning. Pentagrams are a no go too if you ask me. Polarization, it has to be polarized and connected with the 4 elements and even then.

by Anonymousreply 113July 18, 2020 4:03 PM

I've been in the Goldfield Hotel, the Goldfield High School, both in Goldfield, Nevada, as well as the Mizpah Hotel and the Clown Motel, both in Tonopah, Nevada. Tgese have been the subject of those ghost hunter TV shows. All of these places I've been in twice or more. Never saw any unusual phenomena, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 114July 18, 2020 4:34 PM

The Clown Motel? Sounds horrifying

by Anonymousreply 115July 18, 2020 4:36 PM

R115 indeed clowns are horrific

R114 I visited the “old” goldfield tourist western village years ago but don’t know much about the area. I’ll see if I can find the tv shows you mentioned.

You might still experience something when you least expect it.

by Anonymousreply 116July 18, 2020 4:40 PM

R113 that was the LAST time I fucked with that sort of thing ! I havent even had a ouija board in the house since . That scared me senseless .

by Anonymousreply 117July 18, 2020 4:52 PM

I've lived here in Goldfield for 5 years and I've heard lots of stories from other people who live here, but unfortunately nothing weird has happened to me - at least from ghosts. The people living in this town, though - that's another horror story altogether. Far worse people than any ghost. I've even been in the exact room in the Goldfield Hotel where the teenage girl was supposedly chained to a radiator and left to die by the hotel's owner (because he made her pregnant). Didn't see, hear or feel anything unusual there. I've also been in the room at the Mizpah Hotel supposedly haunted by the "Lady in Red" ghost, and also didn't see, hear or feel anything unusual. I've stayed at the Clown Motel twice, and I loved the lobby filled with hundreds of clowns. But I never saw a ghost; I was mainly creeped out by the motel's shockingly dilapidated condition. It has a new owner now, but I don't know if they have done any repairs or refurbishment. The Mizpah, on the other hand, is always kept in pristine, immaculate condition so that's the one I recommend to people.

by Anonymousreply 118July 18, 2020 4:59 PM

By the way, there is a Goldfield Ghost Town in Arizona, but I've never been there. I live in Goldfield, Nevada. There are plenty of videos on YouTube about it.

by Anonymousreply 119July 18, 2020 5:02 PM

[R109] What Street was the building on? I used to live on St. Peter’s in the quarter and also uptown a bunch of places. Despite the voodoo reputation of New Orleans, and living in some really old houses, nothing ever happened to me. I would never hold a seance though!

by Anonymousreply 120July 18, 2020 5:04 PM

R119 my mistake, I visited both Nevada and Arizona that holiday but it was a long time ago. Will check Nevada Goldfield.

Did you ever visit a really old place? I’m talking 1700 and earlier? Neolithic? You might feel/ experience more in those places

by Anonymousreply 121July 18, 2020 5:22 PM

I used to live in an old 1920s hotel that had been converted into condos. It had a very HEAVY vibe. Not evil or scary, just heavy. There was definitely a presence in my condo, as both my roommate and I had been awakened by something poking at us (the pokes felt more mischievous than violent, like something a little kid would do). But the odd poke is as the presence ever did, and it was a great place otherwise, so we didn't feel the urge to move out until both of us found jobs that took us out of town for good.

by Anonymousreply 122July 18, 2020 5:41 PM

*odd poke is as MUCH as the presence

by Anonymousreply 123July 18, 2020 5:41 PM

R109's story is really scary. Any other creepy New Orleans stories??

by Anonymousreply 124July 18, 2020 5:49 PM

I have felt a light poke in bed while dozing off to sleep, but brushed it off in the moment as my imagination (but it felt real). Twice to my face. Twice to my leg. Years apart. Different apartments.

by Anonymousreply 125July 18, 2020 6:00 PM

R18 This is my favorite type of ghost story. Absurd, yet mysterious.

by Anonymousreply 126July 18, 2020 6:05 PM

I used to work somewhere that had a toilet ghost in the women's bathroom. I heard this from multiple people.

If they were on the toilet, and the only one in the restroom, the door would gently swing open and they'd hear the sounds of a woman in slacks and heels hurrying to the last stall and roughly opening the door. Then the stall door would swing back shut and there'd be nobody there.

by Anonymousreply 127July 18, 2020 6:10 PM

r127 I believe it is this Wilmington NC restaurant that famously had a haunted women's room - legend has it that if a man ever set foot in the ladies' room he would be chased out by a large, angry German woman. The restaurant has changed hands and the story has changed. I liked the "HB2" version better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128July 18, 2020 6:30 PM

R120 it was on Bienville , a few blocks from the river . Bear in mind that was many moons ago so my memory of the exact location may be off.

by Anonymousreply 129July 18, 2020 6:42 PM

I went to the Winchester House. It's fascinating what kind of a house you'll make with a shit ton of cash and a mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 130July 18, 2020 6:55 PM

R128 A ghost bouncer, I love it.

by Anonymousreply 131July 18, 2020 6:57 PM

Not a house per say but when I was younger I visited Pittsburgh's "Cathedral of Learning." And yes it looks exactly like what you think it would inside.

2000 rooms. 42 floors. Only the first 36 are used for things. The last ones are for mechanical purposes. Gothic architecture.

I had some time to kill before meeting with a comic friend of mine (that's why we both were in town) and I started wandering around alone. It was fine. (I went all the way up first.) Nothing scary. Students from Uni of Pitt teetering about. Different floors looked cool. One looked like Hogwarts.

Working my way down randomly I spotted what they called, "international rooms." Each room has a different theme reflecting a different place or time period and there are objects from those time periods.

The rooms were dark. That didn't bother me. I went from room to room peeping in. There were no students in these areas. (They sometimes have classes in the rooms, I read, but there weren't any classes there that summer.)

Then there was this one room that I just didn't feel right in. It was old like an old timey room from a home in America in the 1800s. It felt weird as shit. I walked deeper into the room, around a table and then I swore I felt someone standing behind me. I turned around, nothing. Then I heard a noise coming from a chair in the room and I said, "Okay, I'm getting the hell out of here!"

A friend was going to visit Pittsburgh and asked if I knew of any places, since I had been there, that would be fun to see. I told her about the Cathedral and a few other places. I started reading about it at that point and realized that the room I was in was the "Early American Room" which was created in 1938. Many of the objects are from the late 1800s time period. There's even a hidden loft upstairs I never saw. Either way there are tons of stories of ghost activity in that very room in countless articles over the years. So it confirmed my feelings of it being off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132July 18, 2020 8:17 PM

I went to the Cathedral of Learning on a field trip as a kid

by Anonymousreply 133July 18, 2020 9:55 PM

R132 scary af. Did you ever feel ok in that building? Just looking at the pic I don’t like it.

by Anonymousreply 134July 18, 2020 10:21 PM

This show is actually pretty good if you like stories about hauntings. The reenactments are somewhat schlockly but it makes it more entertaining.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135July 19, 2020 4:22 AM

A tour of the Early American room in The Cathedral of Learning. Poltergeist activity began after a quilt made by a cousin of Edgar Allen Poe was added to the room!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136July 19, 2020 5:54 AM

R135 thanks. Just watched an episode, I like it. Remind me of A Haunting.

I used to enjoy watching the first few seasons of Discovery’s A Haunting. I remember seeing John Zaffis and Lorraine Warren on there a few times. I do think they meant to help. I wonder, did people have to spend like a fortune to hire them when they became famous?

by Anonymousreply 137July 19, 2020 9:38 AM

R136 it doesn’t look too creepy

by Anonymousreply 138July 19, 2020 9:40 AM

Yes I liked A Haunting too. That show is very similar. The episode on Summerwind is creepiest one to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139July 19, 2020 9:43 AM

I have a friend who’s visited the vaults and she said she was really scared there, it was a very oppressive atmosphere and she ended up feeling nauseous and got a headache.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140July 19, 2020 9:47 AM

I have a friend who’s visited the vaults and she said she was really scared there, it was a very oppressive atmosphere and she ended up feeling nauseous and got a headache.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141July 19, 2020 9:47 AM

R139 yes it is creepy and I never understood why the father and brother bought the house after the experience of the daughter. Still a weird story about that deed.....

by Anonymousreply 142July 19, 2020 9:50 AM

Yeah it’s just dreadful looking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143July 19, 2020 10:23 AM

R143 It’s a miracle it hasn’t turned up in the tasteful friends threads yet 😂

I don’t think anyone is sorry for the fact it burned down. What I don’t understand is that people who looked at that house seriously wanted to buy it and live there. It looks horrible and dark.

by Anonymousreply 144July 19, 2020 10:38 AM

And out in the middle of nowhere. I grew up where there were abandoned farmhouses like this and they always felt creepy. I know it’s probably just me projecting and they are just old empty buildings, but people who decide to remodel these old places and live there while they do it are braver than I am!

by Anonymousreply 145July 19, 2020 10:42 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146July 19, 2020 5:07 PM

R134, If you're a fan of architecture the building is beautiful. I felt completely fine, except for that room. That's what makes it all stand out for me.

R136, Thank you for sharing this!

R138, I agree. It doesn't look too creepy in those photos. I was there when the lights were off.

Love this thread. Enjoying all the stories!

by Anonymousreply 147July 19, 2020 5:26 PM

I stayed at the Myrtles Plantation in Saint Francisville, LA which is about 90 minutes from New Orleans two years ago. If you've ever seen a show or read an article about the "Top X Most Haunted Places" you've probably heard of it. It's the house with the ghost of Chloe the slave that poisoned the wife and children of the plantation owner. Nothing spooky happened but I'll admit I was scared to get up in the night to use the bathroom. It's a beautiful house and grounds and the on-site restaurant is really good. If you don't want to stay over you can just take a tour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148July 19, 2020 8:39 PM

R140 I had the same thing about ten years ago when living in Edinburgh in the vaults. I was fine for most of the tour but in one room, there was a deeply malevolent presence. It was in the corner of the room. I didn’t see anything but I could definitely feel it and it wasn’t happy about being people there. I moved onto the next room quickly and then finished up the tour as fast as possible. The vaults used to have people living in them and have flooded multiple times with lots of people drowned.

by Anonymousreply 149July 19, 2020 8:47 PM

Living in Edinburgh and visited the vaults. I didn’t live in them!

by Anonymousreply 150July 19, 2020 8:49 PM

Cool! I am going to watch Haunting S1E2: The Haunting of Summerwind now! It sounds good. I am going to watch S1E1 also. Hell House seems good too👍

by Anonymousreply 151July 19, 2020 9:05 PM

OK - E2 Summerwind isn’t scary, but E1 Hell House (with the actual Elizabeth Warren) is scary. I can’t believe the family still lives there!

by Anonymousreply 152July 19, 2020 10:52 PM

*I meant “Lorraine Warren”, of course!😉

by Anonymousreply 153July 19, 2020 10:54 PM

Hell house is scary and there are more good episodes the first few seasons. echoes from the grave, one about Billy Bean(house of the dead), the dark side, hidden terror, the apartment was scary in my opinion and where evil lurks too.

by Anonymousreply 154July 20, 2020 2:51 AM

R148 looks beautiful indeed but spending the night....I don’t know if I’d dare. You’re brave.

by Anonymousreply 155July 20, 2020 2:53 AM

R149 there haven’t been people living there for a long time right? Edinburgh is supposedly one of the most haunted cities of the planet. I love visiting it though.

by Anonymousreply 156July 20, 2020 2:54 AM

Thanks R154! I will check them out this week👍

by Anonymousreply 157July 20, 2020 2:57 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158July 20, 2020 3:38 AM

Paranormal Survivor and A Haunting are decent shows and the re-enactments are sometimes amusing. I hate the ghost shows with psychics or googly eyed white trash traipsing around dark buildings with fake equipment and night vision cameras. These shows at least try to portray actual hauntings in a way that makes them compelling.

by Anonymousreply 159July 20, 2020 4:57 AM

I hate the ghost shows that have (very poor) actors playing the people that stuff supposedly happened to. They used to have the actual people. Now it’s all just totally fake.

by Anonymousreply 160July 20, 2020 7:18 AM

I find the bad acting and recreations hilarious

by Anonymousreply 161July 20, 2020 7:31 AM

I agree with R159

R160 People who went through the haunting are usually not actors so it wouldn’t make the flashbacks they show more realistic if they re-enacted it, plus it might be traumatic too.

Yes the acting could definitely be better

by Anonymousreply 162July 20, 2020 8:23 AM

r82 is right.

A haunted tour with spook alleys in my area offered zombie hordes that customers could shoot with paintball guns.

They had to stop because of lawsuits!

by Anonymousreply 163July 20, 2020 11:31 PM

R82 what happened? What were the lawsuits over?

by Anonymousreply 164July 20, 2020 11:34 PM

Sorry I mean R163

by Anonymousreply 165July 20, 2020 11:35 PM

The Brown Hotel in Louisville- There was a golden ball of light that floated from across my bed and turned to go into the bathroom. The Brown has a 13th floor which is unusual. When the hotel opened the dining room was there and now it's only accessed by key card. On our last day we were going to the lobby around 6 A.M but the elevator took us to 13. We later learned the original owner Mr. Brown would head there first thing in the morning.

The Crescent in Eureka Springs-We heard whistling coming from under the bed. Partner saw a ghostly woman in white standing on the balcony in the rain.

by Anonymousreply 166July 20, 2020 11:50 PM

r164 they shot one of the zombie actors in the nuts, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 167July 20, 2020 11:51 PM

The NYC Bane Haunted House escape forces people to separate and do part of it alone!! They say the minimum child age is 12, but they have to separate from everyone else also. They make you sign a disclosure before entering. Hell No!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168July 21, 2020 1:53 AM

Seems fun LOL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169July 21, 2020 2:05 AM

The owner, whom I didn't know, wouldn't tell me on the phone who was suing, r164.

But I assume it was zombie actors getting injured from the paintballs and wanting restitution from their employer.

It could have been customers getting injured or injuring each other, but they weren't intended in the line of fire.

by Anonymousreply 170July 21, 2020 6:13 AM

Why would r44 go to the Winchester house 6 times if it was dull?

by Anonymousreply 171August 1, 2020 12:51 AM

there is only one room in the Winchester House that feels haunted.

and it's NOT the "seance" room or whatever that broom closet really was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172August 1, 2020 1:22 AM

Notice how haunted houses are always owned by rich people? You never hear about a haunted condo or mobile home.

by Anonymousreply 173August 1, 2020 1:43 AM

R173 That's because even the dead don't want to stay there.

by Anonymousreply 174August 1, 2020 1:45 AM

r173 i wrote about my haunted condo upthread.

by Anonymousreply 175August 1, 2020 1:51 AM

R173,, I wrote about my Grandma's house upthread, and it's valued at $59K right now. Tiny little dump of a house.

by Anonymousreply 176August 1, 2020 2:18 AM

R174 lmao you’re funny:)

The parents of my ex own a horrible house, former butchery. Built around 1900 in a mining town. Not an expensive or particularly big house btw. Every time I went up the stairs it felt like someone walking right behind me. It was always colder dark on those stairs. At night while staying in the house, I’d always wake up a few times and when I did the bedroom would be full of spirits. I asked them to go away but different ones would be there the next time I woke up. Later on a medium told me there’s a portal on those grounds and that’s why the house attracts so many lost spirits.

by Anonymousreply 177August 1, 2020 4:45 AM

R177 what are portals? I’ve heard this term in new age speak but am unfamiliar with the meaning.

by Anonymousreply 178August 1, 2020 6:25 PM

[quote] what are portals?

they’re little round windows on cruise ships, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 179August 1, 2020 7:35 PM

R178 I hope I can explain this in a reasonable way, portals are rifts or places where the veil between our world and the spirit world is thin. Apparently these places attract spirits because every spirit eventually wants to cross over. They are searching for the light and a portal is a beacon to them. However it is not useful to have a portal at your home, you’ll just attract loads of lost ones and there’ll be no end to the amount of the spirits that’ll visit. Too much too handle if you understand what I mean. If the owners of the premises agree one can close the portal so it’ll no longer attract more spirits. The current spirits can be crossed over and all will be well. You feel you live at a place like that?

by Anonymousreply 180August 1, 2020 7:57 PM

A portal is a passage....TO HELL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181August 1, 2020 8:47 PM

My family and I stayed at The Myrtles during spring break of 1994. My mother said she felt someone tugging at her all night while sleeping. The creepiness when I was in our bedroom or the landing by myself was off the charts.

by Anonymousreply 182August 1, 2020 10:20 PM

182 here again.

Now a sweet anecdote about the Myrtles. When we were there, cell phones weren't around, and the only payphone at the Myrtles was in the little bungalow behind the house that was the restaurant. My father used to call his office everyday to make sure all was well, and he would usually speak Spanish. I could see the adult daughter of the family who owned the Myrtles listening to his conversation--the bungalow is really small--and she gestured me aside and asked IF he was speaking a foreign language. And then she asked me which one. And I found it sort of shocking that there were people who had never heard Spanish before.

by Anonymousreply 183August 1, 2020 10:49 PM

It would be cool to visit a haunted house but if they are real then that would mean there are people essentially trapped there unseen and unheard.

by Anonymousreply 184August 2, 2020 2:48 AM

R183 it looks like a beautiful house but also dark. I wouldn’t spend the night there.

by Anonymousreply 185August 2, 2020 4:15 AM

I have been familiar with the exterior of this house and with the neighborhood for about 55 years. It’s got some beautiful stain glass windows, presumably, particularly, on the master staircase landing. It probably has a servant’s staircase. It has a large yard that spans city streets, with garages at the rear. Oddly well maintained front lawn.

It periodically gets completely refurbished, and then starts to look like this again. Not so for the adjacent houses. It’s inexplicable.

Leading speculation seems to be vampire nest, meth house, or haunted mansion.

Oh, notice the black cat on the front step which was not staged, and which I didn’t even notice UN till long after I took this photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186August 2, 2020 5:41 AM

R86 Creepy. Not a good vibe. Did you ever go in? Is it vacant?

by Anonymousreply 187August 2, 2020 6:55 AM

R187, if you mean me, R186 (not R86), for God sake, no one who ever went in that house ever came back out! At least, not quite the same. So no, I never went in, we weren’t crazy. The yard is too nice to suggest it’s vacant, but I don’t know. All I can say, is it’s gets refurbished every so many years or decades, then turns back to this again. Hence it’s place in this thread.

You’ll see that they fixed it up a bit since the earlier photo was taken over a year ago. It looks far better without the pet gate.

It had such a beautiful garden in the 1960s. Fully planned, including a white grape arbor with the sweetest grapes imaginable. All gone now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188August 3, 2020 3:46 AM

What a dump!

by Anonymousreply 189August 3, 2020 3:53 AM

Yes R188 Pierre, I meant you. Sorry. Hard to Imagine someone living there!! I was just curious what it would look like from the inside.

by Anonymousreply 190August 3, 2020 2:16 PM

It does look like the Munsters live there.

by Anonymousreply 191August 3, 2020 3:02 PM

"The Witch's House of Beverly Hills" has been discussed on DL before.

It was built as a movie set in 1920 for films like HANSEL & GRETEL.

But real people started living there and it's a big attraction for trick-or-treaters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192August 3, 2020 3:14 PM

DL has also discussed the "troll cottages of Carmel," California.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193August 3, 2020 3:24 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194August 3, 2020 3:24 PM

Actually those cottages look quite nice! It’s Brenda while since I was in California but the Carmel area is lovely as far as I remember R194

by Anonymousreply 195August 3, 2020 9:28 PM

I have only seen those cottages in broad daylight, too, r195.

But here's what r 13 from the other thread had to say about them:

[quote]All those troll cottages look fine in the sunshine. But when the fog rolls in and they are cloaked in it, those cottages turn sinister.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196August 3, 2020 9:42 PM

R196 sorry fuck autocorrect “Brenda”=been there..... 90210 is scary too I suppose(my Brenda association). Read a part of the thread. To be honest I don’t know if I’d go there after dark now. Abandoned places get this vibe and it’s no coincidence. When the attention and love is gone it seems to leave room for other things

by Anonymousreply 197August 3, 2020 9:59 PM

Adorable--and the roofwork is very elaborate.

by Anonymousreply 198August 4, 2020 1:19 AM

I’ve posted about this before, but as a kid I used to babysit in this old house that was super creepy. I always felt like I was being watched in every room... EXCEPT in the family room.

Turns out the family room was not part of the original house and had been added on later.

Make if that what you will.

by Anonymousreply 199August 4, 2020 5:25 AM

More stories!

It’s almost Halloween season...

by Anonymousreply 200August 7, 2020 4:23 PM

R199 that is similar to the Grave’s End haunting by Elaine Mercado

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201August 7, 2020 6:47 PM

R200 Bitch it's August.

But yes, more stories please.

by Anonymousreply 202August 7, 2020 7:49 PM

I worked in a haunted building, often when I was working in my office I felt someone was watching me at the other end of the office behind my back a few times I felt they were standing directly behind me and looking over my shoulder.

I described a few experiences in another thread post #78.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203August 7, 2020 7:54 PM

R185,

Hi! I just saw your message this very moment.

It was beautiful, but extremely creepy. I think what made it even worse was that, when we were there, we were the only guests in the house. (I went to Catholic school, so our spring break came a week after all the public school kids had their break.) At the Myrtles, they told us the house had been full--all five or six bedrooms--the week before. I imagine a bunch of people staying there all at the same time would have been fun.

Not only were we the only ones in the house, we were the only table at the restaurant. It was just the adult daughter that was waiting on us--that I mentioned in my post about the payphone--and us. The dinner was one of those "fixed" dinners: a huge number of courses, but everyone ate exactly the same thing.

That sensation of not being alone is the creepiest thing in the world. The Myrtles has a huge central staircase that goes from the back of the house on the first floor to the front of the house on the second floor--no landings. At the top of the staircase, there was a table with some chairs, so you could look out the front windows to the driveway. Sitting there by myself, I could see my parents and brother in the bathroom (the only bathroom on the second story) about 30 feet away from me. (My brother was a baby at the time, so they were changing him or bathing him.) But the eeriness was so terrible that I ran across the house and shoved myself into the bathroom with them.

by Anonymousreply 204August 8, 2020 2:30 AM

R203 I liked reading about your experience. was the building known to be haunted? The footsteps were not your grandfather’s right? How wonderful he’s your guide.

by Anonymousreply 205August 8, 2020 4:52 AM

R204 thanks for sharing, didn’t your parents feel freaked out? The stairs sound creepy don’t know it gives me the chills. Would you return?

by Anonymousreply 206August 8, 2020 4:56 AM

R205 I don't know if the building was known to be haunted I've been tempted to talk to the current tenants to see if the ghosts were still in the building but haven't, I didn't want them to think I was a crazy person.

The footsteps did not belong to my grandfather I don't think he would have done that.

by Anonymousreply 207August 8, 2020 10:40 AM

More stories!

by Anonymousreply 208August 22, 2020 2:09 AM

I visited the house where Ken Biros murdered, raped and dismembered Tami Engstrom, including the cinder block shed in the back where he did the deed. It's all gone now, though. He was ultimately executed after being on death row for many years.

Even weirder, I worked with his brother back in the 90's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209August 22, 2020 10:58 AM

R209 did his brother ever have the feeling Ken was a very disturbed person?

I understand they demolished that place. Who’d wanna live there....

by Anonymousreply 210August 22, 2020 11:39 AM

R210, His brother, Kerry, is also a strange person.

by Anonymousreply 211August 23, 2020 1:45 AM

R209’s photo reminded me of a property that was near my boarding school. There was a path that led through backyards and the woods and into the town green eventually. I’d never walked the whole path, but some girls had. Anyway, the path led to a property we called “The House”. It was the foundation of a house that had burned down or had been demolished. A few friends and I walked to it in broad daylight and poked around. I do remember finding things left behind, but can’t remember what they were. And there was a terrible sense of oppression there, and a bad feeling that we were being watched. Of course it could have been that we were a bunch of silly teenage girls.

And then someone came and built over it eventually.

by Anonymousreply 212August 23, 2020 2:55 AM

R212, did they build a new house or some other kind of structure?

If it was a house, I wonder if the people who lived there ever had that feeling?

by Anonymousreply 213August 23, 2020 7:45 PM

When I was growing up, my family and I used to take driving vacations in our minivan to visit historic homes--the big ones, like the Breakers and the Biltmore (Vanderbilt homes in general), but also small historic homes that were famous for whatever reason. I hardly ever sense that eeriness that I described in my posts on the Myrtles--in fact, that was the only time in my life. And the Myrtles was not a decrepit, ill-kept place. It was beautiful, and you could see a lot of time was spent on the inside of the house and the trees and yard.

It's also very different from a sense of actual danger--which I've sometimes felt when isolated (on foot) in a bad part of a town.

I wish I were more perceptive. I'm sure there are people out there who can tell exactly what the gradations of rational fear/alarm vs eeriness are.

by Anonymousreply 214August 23, 2020 7:53 PM

what are some signs of haunting? I'm noticing distinct creaks, but only when I turn my light off at night. But it's like someone is right beside the bed, or in the corner and shifted their weight and the floor creaks loudly. Its a really small room, second floor, only me in the house, no pets.

It's very jarring.

by Anonymousreply 215August 27, 2020 2:56 AM

When did it start happening?

Do you only notice feeling uncomfortable at night?

How long have you lived there?

Anyone else in the house? (People, not pets.)

by Anonymousreply 216August 27, 2020 3:01 AM

When do ghost always go to a dilapidated home? Aren't there any ghost the go to a fabulous mansion? Aren't there any gay ghosts?

by Anonymousreply 217August 27, 2020 3:06 AM

Why do ghosts always go to a dilapidated home?

Aren't there any ghosts that go to a fabulous mansion?

Aren't there any gay ghosts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218August 27, 2020 3:11 AM

It could be you shifting your weight in your own bed that pushes the floorboards farther away.

by Anonymousreply 219August 27, 2020 3:49 AM

R215 So sorry I disturbed you, don't mind me.

Just creeping closer.... closer...

by Anonymousreply 220August 27, 2020 7:04 AM

R215 does the energy feel off? Do you feel cold spots or not alone? It doesn’t have to be a scary thing, all spirits want to cross over keep that in mind.

by Anonymousreply 221August 27, 2020 9:03 AM

R218 lol of course there are and no hauntings can be tied to an object, an area, a place or a person

by Anonymousreply 222August 27, 2020 9:05 AM

It’s just conditioning from movies that haunting happen in old scary buildings.

by Anonymousreply 223August 27, 2020 11:06 AM

Some people like this roundup of haunted places in my state that I shared in the "Haunted areas" thread. There's a 19th-century mill that was a professional spook alley in the '80s. There are two houses of Ted Bundy: one verifiably occupied by him and another in a canyon that's urban legend. We have Saltair, an entertainment venue that's experienced several disasters and was even the filming location of CARNIVAL OF SOULS. We have filming locations for the HALLOWEEN franchise, too. And there are many urban legends of the Mormon temple and underground tunnels.

We also have a creepy "pre-school and daycare center" that never gets any children or customers!

You might check your local papers and TV stations for reports of haunted houses in your town. They're great for Halloween features.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224August 27, 2020 11:18 PM

R210, check out the story at R209, there’s more interesting details.

The killer stabbed Tami and scattered her remains over several locations. It sounds like the house may not have been one of them. The story says Ken lived with his mother in that house. After Tami died, she haunted it until Ken’s mother was forced to move out. Ken later got the death sentence and was executed.

The house was empty for years until it burned down. Maybe someone was squatting there and started a fire. Or they burned it down for the insurance money.

The story says Tami was haunting the ruins after the house burned down. Tami was married and had never been there before that one time. It’s interesting that she wouldn’t want to leave after the mother was run off.

by Anonymousreply 225August 28, 2020 12:03 AM

Native Americans counted years and ages by "winters."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226September 16, 2020 6:59 AM

So did those Vikings who thought Odin flew around with ghosts and valkyries to terrorize people at Yuletide, when winter first sets in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227September 16, 2020 7:00 AM

My grandfather 'stayed ' around his house while my grandmother was still alive and living there. Its interesting (an aside: because he was a giant of a man brought up on a farm, not religious or superstitious, was a mason/builder, he wasn't the type you'd think believed in ghosts. He had a great appreciation for stones. Had dozens of cabinets filled with small collections.) My grandmother would have her sister visit from Dorset, and she'd stay for a good bit of time each trip. Apparently they all enjoyed having seances in the house (post war, they were a young couple and they didn't have children right away). One particular spirit was that of an indian. Not surprising because my uh uncles had dozens of arrowheads collected from the property and surrounding land. But my grandfather was the only one who would see the indian on a random and irregular basis, decades after their earlier party days. His reverence for the land seemed to be something shared.

I was living with them both when he went on hospice and they wanted to die in their home, which required full time live in help. They were more my parents than my actual ones, and of their 8 kids only my mother and one uncle were regularly there to help, but another of their children was dying from liver failure. It was a hard, stressful time, but two odd incidents stand out. After my grandfather died, I was staying in the room he passed in, was his daughters bedroom originally, but I never wake up with the sun, he always did, one morning I remember feeling like I was woken up, like dead sleep to wired awake to find my dog was slowly suffocating because they'd slept near a bag strap and she wound it round her neck, I was terrified bc I had no idea how long she was like that (she was bubbling at the mouth/nose). I got a utility knife and got the dog out, she was FINE, like nothing happened.

Another time my it was just my grandmother who needed assistance getting around at that point and she was suffering, but she wasn't one to suffer alone, I said something I shouldn't have, and later that day went to the basement where there was a laundry area next to what was my grandfathers office. The rooms light, which turns on by pulling a chain to physically flip the switch was on. I didn't turn it on, or off. I know my grandmother couldn't have done it, no one else was there.

After my grandmother passed the energy just felt empty, whereas it hadn't before. It never felt sinister, just had a livelier feel before they both passed.

I hope whoever lives there now just appreciates the place, there could be hell to pay otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 228September 20, 2020 4:22 PM

Three of us stayed in this cottage (near Yosemite) and experienced first-hand the ghost that has been said to haunt it since the 1920s when a plane crashed on the grounds. The pilot was pulled from the wreckage alive and placed in the room next to ours but died shortly afterwards. Around 11 o'clock one night we were all getting ready to sleep when the lights in that room (seen through the crack of the connecting door) switched on and a jumble of different voices was heard by all of us. We thought a group of drunk partiers had arrived but when we checked out the next day the clerk said no one had been in that room. By chance I came across the story of the dead pilot and the many people who have witnessed his ghost through the years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229September 20, 2020 4:41 PM

Boogie, boogie, boogie!!!

by Anonymousreply 230September 20, 2020 5:23 PM

More.

by Anonymousreply 231September 22, 2020 7:32 AM

When I was a child, I was very close to my great-aunt, who lived with my grandmother.

After my great aunt died, I was terrified to go into her room. Despite my great aunt being a very sweet person, there was some. very negative energy in that room.

About 30 years later, I found out she had been a morphine addict.

About 12 years ago, I visited the house again and didn’t feel the evil presence— just an overwhelming sadness.

by Anonymousreply 232November 1, 2020 9:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!