Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Shopping for a New Car in 2020

Anyone recently bought a new car? Planning to?

I was planning on getting a deal this summer on a 2020 sedan or midsize SUV.

But there are major problems with the new CR-V (oil dilution) and Accord. So I was considering a VW or a Nissan.

What are your thoughts on the 2020 line-up? Should I wait until the 2021’s arrive?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324February 7, 2021 12:26 AM

Nobody's shopping for anything in 2020.

Nothing to do, and nowhere to go.

by Anonymousreply 1July 14, 2020 7:37 PM

So you might get a great deal, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2July 14, 2020 7:38 PM

A colleague of mine bought a Jaguar F-Pace 18 months ago. Loves it. I've had a ride, it drives great and feels good inside.

by Anonymousreply 3July 14, 2020 7:45 PM

I just bought a 2017 Honda Civic and love it.

Check car rental sales if you want a Nissan. Low prices and low miles.

by Anonymousreply 4July 14, 2020 7:47 PM

I got a Mazda CX-5 GT. I think it’s a nice looking car for the economy compact SUVs.

by Anonymousreply 5July 14, 2020 8:03 PM

Honda Civic what do people think about it these days? It's been aound for decades.

by Anonymousreply 6July 14, 2020 8:14 PM

Don't buy any car made by members of the United Auto Workers. Mother fuckers forgot who saved their asses in 2008/2009 and now vote solidly for Trump.

UAW = old, white, entitled asshole Deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 7July 14, 2020 8:28 PM

Toyota Camry? Personally, I'd get a 2018 or 2019 Accord or Camry, and save on some of the initial depreciation.

by Anonymousreply 8July 14, 2020 8:31 PM

VW has never really addressed long-term reliability and the Passat is no longer a great handing car.

by Anonymousreply 9July 14, 2020 8:39 PM

Corollas's still have vague handling. Ford still has jerky transmissions and a useless bluetooth interface.

by Anonymousreply 10July 14, 2020 8:40 PM

Mini Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 11July 14, 2020 8:41 PM

Get an all-electric model, or at least a hybrid.

Buy less oil!

by Anonymousreply 12July 14, 2020 8:43 PM

My neighbors and I live in houses worth about $500k each. My neighbors spend what I regard as disproportionate amounts on cars. Eg one couple have a Porsche and a Mercedes: conspicuous consumption, in my view. I need to buy a car, although I don't like cars much; the car I buy has to be the bare minimum to try to stifle what I suspect is a growing feeling around here that I am cheap. I thought of a Kia SUV - they are well-made (I had one years ago) but don't think that would be the right choice. I quite like the look of the Mazda SUV but again don't think it would do. I am thinking 2019 Toyota SUV : anyone have any thoughts about the Toyota in my circumstances?

by Anonymousreply 13July 14, 2020 8:43 PM

Just bought a new CR-V, my 4th, love them

by Anonymousreply 14July 14, 2020 8:44 PM

R13, a new Venza might be right for you if you're set on Toyota. It's a hybrid as well.

by Anonymousreply 15July 14, 2020 8:48 PM

R14, aren’t you worried about the oil issue? Have you had any gas smells or delayed heating/air?

I was thinking of getting a 2020 CRV until I read about that.

by Anonymousreply 16July 15, 2020 12:16 AM

Buying a car that is one year older to save on depreciation is a fools bet.

You end up risking a lot more and it’s not worth the savings.

You can get much better deals on new cars overall, as far as value, and that has been true for 20 years.

used car dealers perpetuate the depreciation myth and apparently it still works like a charm.

by Anonymousreply 17July 15, 2020 12:18 AM

You can be in a situation where buying new car is even cheaper than one a year older.

Anybody else buy a 2020 recently?

by Anonymousreply 18July 15, 2020 12:19 AM

Whatever you buy wait until the end of the year. I heard about 2 months ago that they would be practically giving the cars away because of low sales this year.

I had a top of the line 1999 Nissan Quest that I finally replaced 3 years ago with a Nissan Rogue Select. A step down from the Quest but so far so good.

by Anonymousreply 19July 15, 2020 12:23 AM

R19 I heard the Nissan quality had gone downhill since the Bluebird. But you remain loyal... I have only had rental Nissans and they did not compare well to other makes I rented.

by Anonymousreply 20July 15, 2020 1:05 AM

I just got a loaded Mazda 3 for $360/36 months/$0 down. I did a lot of research. Safe and good looking.

by Anonymousreply 21July 15, 2020 1:31 AM

I just bought a new car in June...2020 Mercedes GLC300... the sport SUV. Black on black. Fun car with a turbo but it has a 9 speed automatic transmission, which is really sorta ridiculous. But I’m glad I got it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 15, 2020 1:48 AM

I would never buy another Mercedes. They are the worst these days. The quality is just no longer there.

by Anonymousreply 23July 15, 2020 1:50 AM

I’ve never owned anything other than Mercedes...never, ever had an issue with one. Don’t know why you have that opinion.

by Anonymousreply 24July 15, 2020 1:53 AM

[quote] Buying a car that is one year older to save on depreciation is a fools bet.

What exactly is the depreciation myth? What are they telling people?

by Anonymousreply 25July 15, 2020 1:54 AM

When I bought this place the realtor advised me that the neighborhood was ethnic. I asked if he meant full of WASPs. That is not what he meant at all: I am one of about three Gentiles on this street. The rest are Jews. The Jews, the vast majority, spend millions on German cars made by companies with Nazi pasts: Mercedes, BMW and Porsche for instance; Volkswagen is rare but they appear from time to time; they also buy truckloads of Japanese cars and I know the Japs were not anti-Semitic but they were the Nazis' big ally: Lexus, for instance. No!

by Anonymousreply 26July 15, 2020 1:55 AM

[quote] What exactly is the depreciation myth? What are they telling people?

A brand new car loses one-third of its value when you drive it off the dealer's depot.

by Anonymousreply 27July 15, 2020 1:57 AM

[quote]But there are major problems with the new CR-V (oil dilution) and Accord. So I was considering a VW or a Nissan.

I have an '18 Accord, the current generation. There aren't any problems with it. I test drove all the competitors at that time and felt it was the best car in its class. I still love it two years later and get 35 mpg with the 1.5 Turbo engine.

by Anonymousreply 28July 15, 2020 2:03 AM

I have a 2002 4x4 SUV Suzuki convertible. Still only 54,000 miles. Always loyal. Likes mud; scrubs up well. I will wait until it's 25 years old before even considering buying a new car, you fickle bitches.

by Anonymousreply 29July 15, 2020 2:23 AM

I am leasing a 2017 VW GLI. Turbo/Automatic. The lease is almost done. I haven't had a single problem with the car. I love it today as much as the day I leased it. It's a fun and quick car. It drives and handles like a more expensive car, and the interior is upscale compared to a Japanese or Korean car. The Jetta and GLI have been redesigned since 2017, and it's even nicer. I'm totally satisfied with VW. I'm currently out of work, so I'm not sure what to do with my lease coming to an end.

by Anonymousreply 30July 15, 2020 3:08 AM

Just bought 2017 Accord for my partner. Great cars. Even used, they don’t depreciate much.

I kinda agree with the idea of just buying new. Good cars like Honda’s aren’t that much cheaper used than new. The $2-3k savings isn’t worth it.

I’ve been seriously planning on getting the new Honda CR-V hybrid. But gas mileage wasn’t as great as I hoped - and way mor expensive then the regular one - which is the best deal out there for a mini SUV. I had not heard about an oil issue.

Tried the RAV4 - but just doesn’t seem as sturdy as the Honda. Looks slicker outside. But the interior space is also smaller. As a tall guy who needs to haul stuff between houses, I want space - but generally hate SUVS.

by Anonymousreply 31July 15, 2020 3:18 AM

I have to buy a new car. I drive a 2005 Honda Accord. I live in a city and rarely use it, so don’t need anything special. I guess I’ll get another Honda. I doesn’t even care much, but I like the convenience of having a car available if I want one. In the past, I’ve bought certified pre-owned. They come with a pretty extensive warrantee for 2 years, IIRC.

I figured that, excluding the cost of gas; but including the purchase price and maintenance, my average expense for the car runs about $4000 per year.

by Anonymousreply 32July 15, 2020 3:46 AM

You can usually find better interest rates for new cars.

If you have good credit and are with a credit union, you can get a new car financed for 1.99% or so.

Only reason I keep my old college credit union account from when I was an undergrad.

by Anonymousreply 33July 15, 2020 3:59 AM

R33 if you have good credit chances are a dealer with give you the promo rate on a certified pre owned car. I financed a certified pre owned bmw at 1.9 percent - same rate they were offering on their new cars.

Now they are offering only 0.9 percent, I guess because of the corona business slowdown

I like buying cars that are 2 -3 years old with low mileage, certified pre owned for the additional warranty. I got a car last year that only had 19k milestone on it. And because of corona, I’ve only put like 5k Miles on it this year. If I had purchased a 2020 model I would have spent approx 50k. But buying certified pre owned, I saved 50 percent, and still walked with a great CPO warranty. And even covered maintenance for the first 2 years.

by Anonymousreply 34July 15, 2020 4:13 AM

Op have you looked into the VW Atlas? They are really nice. I had one as a rental car. They definitely are a lot bigger inside then they look on the outside - tons of space for cargo.

by Anonymousreply 35July 15, 2020 4:16 AM

Got a 2020 Altima in February and I love it. Was a Honda guy for 20 years but wanted something different.

by Anonymousreply 36July 15, 2020 4:41 AM

My lease is up at the end of the month so I have been looking. One thing to take into consideration as there there is low inventory on a lot of cars. Due to Covid shut downs there were fewer 2020 models produced and there is a delay on the 2021 models. Popular colors and trim packages may all be gone on the models you want.

by Anonymousreply 37July 15, 2020 5:57 AM

If you are buying a luxury car or can get a 1.9 percent loan on a used car then it somewhat makes sense to go used.

But on something like Honda or Toyota you can get all kinds of deals on new ones if you know when to buy. And you always have to weigh depreciation losses against a higher resale when you go to sell or trade. Don’t forget get that. And the factory warranty. And they fact that you have piece of mind that some maniac didn’t drive it before you.

And you can’t put a price on a new car smell.

by Anonymousreply 38July 15, 2020 6:06 AM

Nearly 400,000 of Honda’s best-selling CR-Vs and Civics sold in the U.S. will be updated to prevent excessive gasoline dilution of engine oil that is blamed for poor performance in the automaker’s 1.5L direct-injected turbocharged 4-cyl. engines.

Service bulletins issued by the Japanese automaker since last November now cover 143,000 ’16-’18 Civics and 239,000 ’17-’18 CR-Vs sold in 21 cold-weather northern states. All ’19 models are being updated at the factory.

Part of Honda’s highly efficient “Earth Dreams” engine family, the 4-cyl. is standard on all but the base model CR-V and on upper-trim EX, EX-L and Touring models of the Civic. Wards Intelligence data shows 82% of the 766,000 ’17-’18 CR-Vs sold in the U.S. were equipped with the 1.5L, while about 47% of the 1.1 million ’16-’18 Civics came with the turbo powerplant.

Honda says the problem occurs when the engine doesn’t warm up enough to evaporate unburned fuel that slips past piston rings and infiltrates engine oil. The automaker notes oil dilution is normal in all internal-combustion engines, but especially in direct-injected turbocharged engines.

Honda spokesman Chris Martin says the 1.5L’s cooling system is highly efficient, and therefore the engine is slow to reach a normal operating temperature that would cause fuel to readily evaporate and be routed back to the combustion chamber via the crankcase ventilation system. Short drives and extreme cold temperatures exacerbate the problem, sometimes resulting in owners reporting oil levels above the “FULL” line on the dipstick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 15, 2020 6:11 AM

I bought a Mercedes GLC300 Midsize SUV a few weeks ago. Have a three-year lease and four-year warranty. My last car was a GLK350 which was the best car ever. Fun to drive and never gave me any problems.

by Anonymousreply 40July 15, 2020 6:13 AM

The 2020 CRVs have the 1.5l Earth Dream engine in them still from the 2018/19 debacle.

That is why I hesitate to buy one.

I believe the Accord also has the same engine.

They say they did a software fix but I have read multiple reports of there still being issues in all weather and all drove types.

The car companies go to great lengths to cover this stuff up. So I don’t trust the CRVs until they get a new engine.

by Anonymousreply 41July 15, 2020 6:13 AM

Anybody bought a Volvo lately? They are the last reasonably priced luxury car available.

Luxury cars are going through the roof. I just can’t justify spending $50k on a car. Unless I had the income.

by Anonymousreply 42July 15, 2020 6:16 AM

Get one of those little Fiats. I love them. Canary yellow or powder blue for you?

by Anonymousreply 43July 15, 2020 6:22 AM

Fiats have bad reviews.

Plus I’m tall and have very broad shoulders. I’m shaped like a T.

I can’t do the tiny cars.

by Anonymousreply 44July 15, 2020 6:34 AM

Well?

by Anonymousreply 45July 15, 2020 8:01 AM

OP, do you like the Kia Optima sedan? It’s being replaced by a new 2021 model called the K5 any day now. They’ll be giving away the remaining 2020s.

by Anonymousreply 46July 15, 2020 2:27 PM

Volvo’s are a waste of money now. No better than a nice Subaru. Horrible on gas and insanely expensive repairs and maintenance. Don’t know why people buy them - except the historic reputation. But safety isn’t much different than much cheaper cars nowadays. I just got rid of my XC70 - and the resale/trade-in was horrible - and swore I would never waste that money again.

by Anonymousreply 47July 15, 2020 2:33 PM

I just moved to LA and need to buy a car. I'm torn between a Mini Cooper and a VW Golf. Also thinking about a Prius.

Any thoughts on these?

by Anonymousreply 48July 15, 2020 2:44 PM

ford raptor truck.......450 hp.......510 ft-lbs torque.........a total rocket

by Anonymousreply 49July 15, 2020 2:45 PM

R48...Prius is a nice little car, but you have to be careful. The gas engine portion of the Prius is a gross polluter, and as a result, their catalytic converters are about three times the size of a normal car, to reduce the emissions. As a result of the Platinum in them (which is the reason CCs get stolen), they get cut off the car all the time. A new Catalytic Converter for a Prius is over $4,000 so just something to be aware of.

You can verify all of this via Google...

by Anonymousreply 50July 15, 2020 3:00 PM

[quote]Volvo’s are a waste of money now. No better than a nice Subaru. Horrible on gas and insanely expensive repairs and maintenance.

All new Volvos have 30,000 miles of free maintenance coverage, making maintenance costs essentially zero if you’re leasing it.

by Anonymousreply 51July 15, 2020 3:17 PM

[quote]Anybody bought a Volvo lately? They are the last reasonably priced luxury car available.

They price out to be about the same as their similarly equipped Mercedes, Audi, and BMW competitors. None are exactly reasonably priced.

by Anonymousreply 52July 15, 2020 3:20 PM

We're planning to buy the Tesla Model 3. It's actually a bargain if you factor in fuel and maintenance savings.

by Anonymousreply 53July 15, 2020 3:32 PM

R48 - R50 is correct. In the SF Bay area, Prius catalytic converters are constantly being yanked out of the cars.

by Anonymousreply 54July 15, 2020 3:45 PM

"I just bought a 2017 Honda Civic and love it."

I've been holding on to my 2003 Civic with less that 100K on it. I don't take long trips and just want something reliable. I've only had one major repair with my current car. Besides, the latest Civic model looks like a spacecraft and I hate it. I also hate dark interior colors.

I'd love to get a VW Golf...but from what I've read, they are not as reliable as my current car, it won't last 17 years without major problems.

by Anonymousreply 55July 15, 2020 3:52 PM

Thanks R50

by Anonymousreply 56July 15, 2020 4:13 PM

I’ve also heard that some of the 2020 Honda’s with the brake assist will slam on brakes for no reason.

And that some of this new “sensing” equipment is not ready for prime time.

by Anonymousreply 57July 15, 2020 4:15 PM

R35 the Atlas is a nice looking car but the gas mileage Is like 19mpg.

But I did look at a 2020 Tiguan but they seem a little cheap. They appear very solid.

They are doing some amazing deals at Nissan but I have never owned one. The Altima is coming in around the price of a Civic with all the incentives, but is comparable to the Accord. Now that is a good deal.

Also the Rogues sale price are about the same as the Altima sale price.

These are $25k cars being sold for $20. That is a good deal.

So it looks like I’ll be going with either the base Civic (which doesn’t have the sketchy 1.5 turbo) or an Altima.

The Rogue just seems like a teenager car. The Altima at least feels a little grown up.

The base Civic does not have touchscreen or Apple play which is just bazaar. But I am just too worried about the 1.5 to buy the CR-V. Or the Civic EX. Or the Accord. All 3 have the 1.5 L sketchy engine.

If I buy one this week, it will most likely be an Altima.

If I wait another week or two, who knows.

by Anonymousreply 58July 15, 2020 4:25 PM

R55, I would consider the Hyundai Elantra if you are looking for a reliable, inexpensive compact car to replace your '03 Civic.

Also, the Civic is going to be redesigned soon for the 2021 model year, so you might possibly like the looks of the upcoming model better than the current one.

by Anonymousreply 59July 15, 2020 4:25 PM

Bay Area Prius owner here - our catalytic converter was stolen 4th of July weekend. In our complex garage no less.

We were surprised we avoided the inevitable for so long.

Fortunately our thief smashed our back window and scratched the quarter panel. It'll cost $2,500 to repair the (MINOR) cosmetic damage but we are just going to pocket the money. It'll cover the $250 insurance deductible and our road trip to Palm Springs.

by Anonymousreply 60July 15, 2020 4:26 PM

Anybody own a new Passat?

They are decent looking and VW is offering some good deals.

by Anonymousreply 61July 15, 2020 4:26 PM

I like the Palisade and Telluride.

by Anonymousreply 62July 15, 2020 4:26 PM

I just get driven everywhere. Lyft.

by Anonymousreply 63July 15, 2020 4:28 PM

I have never bought a Korean car. And after they got rid of the 100k warranties, I don’t think you come out that much ahead anymore. But they are nice looking cars.

by Anonymousreply 64July 15, 2020 4:28 PM

R60,so are you having the insurance replace the Catalytic Converter? Because you won't be able to get it smogged again until you do. And don't order a cheap one online, because it most likely will not be legal in CA.

by Anonymousreply 65July 15, 2020 4:29 PM

R64, I was worried you were correct about the warranty. Whew.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 15, 2020 4:31 PM

Hyundai and Kia still have the 10 year / 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, which is the best of any manufacturer.

Hyundai has also now added free maintenance to all new cars for 3 years / 36,000 miles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 15, 2020 4:36 PM

R63 Insurance has already replaced our CC.

It sounds horrible without one, literally like its about to explode. I understand they're illegal to drive in such a state in many places.

Our mechanic doesn't do body repairs however. So we have were approved the $2,500 to get the work done at a body shop. We'll just have insurance cut us the check directly, but not have it done (which is completely legal). The cosmetic damage is literally one scratch but they'd have to paint whole back quarter passenger side to repaint/blend!

by Anonymousreply 68July 15, 2020 4:40 PM

Wait a while longer OP, and buy a used car instead. Prices are set to drop as much as 25% or more in the coming months.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 15, 2020 4:50 PM

Just avoid anything with the CVT transmission..they are still crap

by Anonymousreply 70July 15, 2020 4:55 PM

I can’t decide whether to buy a low mileage 3 year old car or lease a new one. Both would cost about the same per month. At least I would “own” the used one after 4 years. What should I do?

by Anonymousreply 71July 15, 2020 5:01 PM

I can’t decide whether to buy a low mileage 3 year old car or lease a new one. Both would cost about the same per month. At least I would “own” the used one after 4 years. What should I do?

So, in 4 years, you'll "own" a 7 year old car. If that's okay with you, then go that route.

Personally, I'd rather lease a new car... where I'm always covered by warranty, maintenance requirements are minimal, and I always have the latest technology updates, safety features, and fuel economy improvements.

by Anonymousreply 72July 15, 2020 5:10 PM

I like little cars, parking and all... what's the most reliable with a smooth ride?

by Anonymousreply 73July 15, 2020 5:16 PM

Like R70 says, I'm concerned with anything with a CVT transmission. I've read that they can be a problem. Nissa has switched over to them for their entire line. My neighbor has a Nissan with one and she's got a loaner more often than her own car because of it. I do like the new Altima, nice design, and I like that it now offers AWD. But I may pass because of the CVT. A used Audi A4 with AWD is probably what I'd do.

by Anonymousreply 74July 15, 2020 9:58 PM

I sort of have new car fever, but almost everything looks the damn same right now. I like something a little weird looking. I have a 2012 loaded Nissan Juke and I love driving it, but I don't know how it will last for the long haul. (78,000 miles on it). I like the Toyota CH-R, but it doesn't have a sunroof option. The new Kia Soul is cute (I miss my boxy Honda Element!) and they have a very nice racing green option--but again, no sunroof with the green??? Only in the blue, white, black, or red. Dumb.

I know some people don't care about a sunroof, but I use mine all the time and I love it. I don't even care about navigation or heated seats--I just want my sunroof.

I like the Mini Cooper, but I don't hear great things about them. The Honda Civic Hatchback is kind of cool too, but sounds like Honda is not so hot right now? I came very close to buying a RAV4 in Lunar Rock (grey/green color) last year and can't decide if that was a good idea or not to pass it up. They aren't exactly "funky" and everyone and their brother has one now, but I do think it would be reliable.

by Anonymousreply 75July 15, 2020 10:11 PM

I double checked, and my 2005 Honda Accord costs me on average, about $3000 a year (excluding gas costs, but including the amortized purchase price). I only drove it 500 miles last year. But is is 15 years old an looks like crap, so I’m going to replace it. It seems like a major chore, though, so it may take me a while. I just like the freedom of getting to a car and going, when I want to.

by Anonymousreply 76July 15, 2020 10:40 PM

Whoops! Yes, it does seem that the Koreans have kept the 100k warranty on the powertrain .

I just saw the bumper-to-bumper to warranty stopped at 50k. and thought it had changed. Didn’t both used to be 100k?

Anyway, here’s and update:

I went and sat in a CRV, Civic, Accord, Passat, Altima, Rogue and Forrester today. I didn’t test drive of them yet. I didn’t want to interact with sales people. I just sat in what I could find unlocked or on display.

The Altima was a little smaller than I thought it would be inside. But otherwise as expected. It would get the job done but it’s a little tight in the shoulders. Same with the rogue. It’s basically an Altima with a hatchback.

The Accord and Civic have both designed the front seat to be halfway underneath the engine. It makes for poor visibility. The interior seemed stiff. And in the Civic I could hear all the noise from outside. It didn’t seem very quiet. My knee was knocking on the center console of the CRV. But that was the roomiest of the 3. And it feels like the driver is more parallel with the engine and not underneath it.

The VW was a little cheapish looking. I don’t know how I feel about that one. I just couldn’t make up my mind.

I really liked the forester the best. But it’s also the most expensive for the trim that makes sense. You wouldn’t want a Forrester without a sunroof.

I think I will drive the Passat and the Forrester and go from there. As for the rest, either I’ll pass on them or wait untill 2021s come in.

by Anonymousreply 77July 16, 2020 2:43 AM

I’ve read good things about the Toyota RAV4. I was going towards Honda CRV - until I read the above, Any opinions on Rav4 - or Toyota reliability generally ?

by Anonymousreply 78July 16, 2020 3:16 AM

Check out Mazda. The CX-5 is a nice small SUV and has good reliability.

by Anonymousreply 79July 16, 2020 3:23 AM

Financially I don’t understand leasing. Made that mistake with my first car and felt stupid. A 3 year old car with one owner is a great car. And you get trade in value in 3 years. If you’ve got money to burn maybe leasing is OK - but makes no sense financially. But I also don’t understand buying a $60,000 luxury car - for any reason - so I appreciate people make non-financial decisions.

by Anonymousreply 80July 16, 2020 3:26 AM

I’m going to buy a van so I can live in it when my money runs out!

by Anonymousreply 81July 16, 2020 3:32 AM

I love minivans. Space to move stuff is incomparable - and they drive so much better than SUVs, more like a car. Impractical for a city dwelling gay man - but I always end up borrowing my sisters because it can move anything. Also expensive.

by Anonymousreply 82July 16, 2020 3:36 AM

A minivan might not be a bad idea with the way things are going. The Chrysler van has the fold under seats that would make it completely flat. All you have to do is put in a twin size air mattress and you are ready for the apocalypse.

Some even come with a built in vacuum.

by Anonymousreply 83July 16, 2020 7:39 AM

Come on, comment on the VW GOLF!

by Anonymousreply 84July 16, 2020 12:12 PM

The Toyota RAV 4 Hybrid gets very good reviews, and somewhat counterintuitively is also the “performance” model too.

by Anonymousreply 85July 16, 2020 12:20 PM

I also need a car but I can’t buy one without test driving first. Is it worth the risk?

by Anonymousreply 86July 16, 2020 12:23 PM

We have a 2018 RAV 4 with a lease expiring in January 2021, so we've been looking. We do need a truck, and want a 4WD, crew cab. We've looked at Chevy Colorado and Silverado 1500, Ford F150 and Ranger, RAM 1500, and Honda Ridgeline. And it's been terrible. Incentives that aren't -- sure, you're giving us $5000 "Customer Cash" but you upped the price to make up for that. And it's the cash or a 0% rate. Or, you don't have any stock -- the local Honda dealer had no Ridgelines in stock. Or all you have are trucks tricked out with options and addons we don't want. Build to order? They're not doing that because they don't know when they'll be able to get them. Ford dealer said September, [italic]MAYBE[/italic].

Well, we have time to shop.

by Anonymousreply 87July 16, 2020 12:33 PM

R87 these dealers are going to go under if they don’t start offering worthwhile incentives. I’ve seen very little in the past few months to tempt me. 0% for 72 months? No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 88July 16, 2020 12:37 PM

I keep my cars 17 years plus.

On year 13 with my Generation 2 Toyota Prius.

Still get nearly 50 PPG around town; 47 highway. Original catalytic converter.

by Anonymousreply 89July 16, 2020 12:47 PM

I got a 2020 Hyundai Kona last September. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 90July 16, 2020 12:49 PM

[quote]The Toyota RAV 4 Hybrid gets very good reviews, and somewhat counterintuitively is also the “performance” model too.

The RAV Hybrid powertrain has much faster acceleration than the gas 4 cylinder. Plus excellent fuel economy for not much increase in price. It’s a win.

by Anonymousreply 91July 16, 2020 2:16 PM

[quote]I got a 2020 Hyundai Kona last September. I love it.

I had a Kona recently for a rental car, and really enjoyed it. It wasn’t really on my radar before, but I would definitely consider buying one now after driving it around for a few days.

by Anonymousreply 92July 16, 2020 2:18 PM

R75 - I hear really good things about the Mini Cooper -- I keep asking people where I live in WeHo about them (there must be dozens with a few block radius) and every owner says they loved their Mini.

by Anonymousreply 93July 16, 2020 2:24 PM

The trouble with Mini Cooper is that it's categorized as a "luxury car," and repairs cost an arm and a leg. Thanks, BMW.

by Anonymousreply 94July 16, 2020 2:50 PM

R94 we did buy the company and we make them!

by Anonymousreply 95July 16, 2020 2:53 PM

r90, glad to hear that about the Kona. They get great reviews, and everyone I know who has a Hyundai loves it. I think they look pretty cool, but the online images look sort of like the cabin is cheap looking, but I haven't seen it in person. Does it have decent power? I don't need a rocket, but I like a little get up and go.

by Anonymousreply 96July 16, 2020 3:26 PM

I was all set to buy a RAV4 hybrid till I saw that there's a major problem with the gas tank on the 2019 and 2020, and Toyota hasn't fixed it yet. There's a class action suit pending.

by Anonymousreply 97July 16, 2020 3:52 PM

Thanks R97. Now my two choices, the Honda CRV and Toyota RAV4, have been ruled out. Maybe I’ll just buy an old RAV4 or CRV and avoid the risks.

by Anonymousreply 98July 16, 2020 3:56 PM

I’d have no problem getting the RAV-4 hybrid. The gas tank issue is not safety related (not able to fill gas all the way full) and Toyota is acknowledging it and in the process of fixing it. It doesn’t get to be the top auto maker without customer satisfaction and trust in its products. Unlike Honda with its issues in recent years involving CRV, Civics, and Accords.

Stay away from Volvos for the love of cars! They break down after warranty and fucking expensive to fix. My last car was a Volvo, the company has been coasting on past laurels and it hasn’t been at forefront of auto safety since the ‘80s.

by Anonymousreply 99July 16, 2020 4:24 PM

RAV-4 hybrid gas tank article

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100July 16, 2020 4:24 PM

I’m saving up to get a RAV-4 Prime which is different from RAV-4 hybrid. But appare

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101July 16, 2020 4:37 PM

^^^But apparently there will only be 5000 of them for sale in the US this year.

by Anonymousreply 102July 16, 2020 4:38 PM

Anny truck recommendations or things to watch out for?

by Anonymousreply 103July 16, 2020 4:41 PM

If you like the Kona, check out the Seltos, too. One thing a lot of people don't realize is how good H/K's drive assist features are. Only Tesla is probably (a little bit) better. Everyone else is worse or on par. Drive a Mazda and watch as it bounces you from one lane line to the other, and then drive a H/K. Night and day.

by Anonymousreply 104July 16, 2020 5:02 PM

I got a loaded Telluride right before Covid-19 shut everything down. I really love it. It replaced a Lexus RX450 and I find it superior in every way.

I also have a 2019 MB E300, and the Kia technology works better and more seamlessly. There’s a highway assist feature that lets you drive for miles without ever touching the steering wheel.

Kia/Hyundai/Genesis are at a transformational stage and it’s exciting to see all the class leading vehicles they’re releasing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105July 16, 2020 5:41 PM

Wow thanks DL. Just discovered Hyundai Venue. Under $20k for a 2020, good MPG SUV. Never heard of it but seems like an amazing deal. A brand new SUV for less than a 5 year old RAV4.

by Anonymousreply 106July 16, 2020 6:34 PM

Kia Telluride is significantly better than Volkswagen Atlas.

by Anonymousreply 107July 16, 2020 6:47 PM

R106 there’s a reason for that being the case.

by Anonymousreply 108July 16, 2020 6:59 PM

One thing about the Kona is that it has a punchy accelerator. You can burn rubber if you’re not careful. I had to re-learn how to accelerate.

by Anonymousreply 109July 16, 2020 7:07 PM

R90 What level did you get? And AWD or FWD? There are seldom if ever any FWD's shown in inventory online; clearly the AWD makes them more money. But I don't need it.

by Anonymousreply 110July 16, 2020 7:40 PM

R26 Or as my late friend Lester in Beverly Hills said as the garage door went up to reveal his flawlessly restored 1970 Mercedes 600 Pullman formerly owned by the German government, "How quick we forget."

by Anonymousreply 111July 16, 2020 7:44 PM

Hyundai and Kia are basically the same company now, right? They seem to share platforms and engines for most of their vehicles.

by Anonymousreply 112July 16, 2020 7:58 PM

[quote]Hyundai and Kia are basically the same company now, right?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 113July 16, 2020 8:03 PM

I see more Hyundai's than Kia's in my city. Kia's interior looks cheap.

by Anonymousreply 114July 16, 2020 8:51 PM

You should buy the biggest, most ridiculous SUV you can find, then tool around in it by yourself.

by Anonymousreply 115July 16, 2020 8:57 PM

R110 I got the Limited with AWD. I’m in Colorado so I wanted that option.

by Anonymousreply 116July 16, 2020 9:06 PM

I think I’m just going to wait a few months. It’s just not a good time to try to buy a car at this exact moment.

The 2021 models are already trickling in (Corolla) so I’m going to take some time and see what happens.

by Anonymousreply 117July 16, 2020 11:59 PM

^^^Consider the hatchback it’s made in Japan so a higher level of quality control. I have a 2020 XSE hatchback, saving me lots of gas commuting and long trips. Only stopped for gas one time driving from LA to Orange County. Love the blindside monitoring. I think the only difference with the 2020 and 2021 models is more storage space option and rear cross traffic alert. There’s a hybrid Corolla sedan that’s also AWD which sounds interesting.

by Anonymousreply 118July 17, 2020 12:43 AM

Anyone have any experience, good or bad, with Shift, the used-car-sales site?

by Anonymousreply 119July 17, 2020 7:34 PM

Should be driving from SF to Orange County

by Anonymousreply 120July 17, 2020 7:36 PM

R119 sounds shifty

by Anonymousreply 121July 17, 2020 9:12 PM

Don’t forget about the BRONCO! I would really love one. I wonder if you can test drive them anywhere?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122July 17, 2020 11:55 PM

The Ford Ranger seems cool too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123July 17, 2020 11:57 PM

I think the new broncos are already sold out

by Anonymousreply 124July 17, 2020 11:58 PM

R123 My boyfriend has the 2019 Ford Ranger and he loves it!

by Anonymousreply 125July 18, 2020 3:00 AM

All of the online sites are overpriced as far as I can tell. I had to do a market value research for a car that was totaled in an accident - and the “easy” online car sales sites basically just charge you more for the convenience. Fine if you don’t mind paying more. But I saved a few thousand by negotiating with a dealer.

by Anonymousreply 126July 18, 2020 3:10 AM

[quote] ^^^Consider the hatchback it’s made in Japan so a higher level of quality control.

The idea that factories in Japan churn out better quality cars is a myth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127July 18, 2020 1:52 PM

Yes R127, it’s the design and engineering that matters. You could manufacture US cars in Europe and they would still be pieces of shit.

by Anonymousreply 128July 18, 2020 2:01 PM

I hate crossovers. A sedan or at least a Volvo wagon, a Cross Country.

by Anonymousreply 129July 18, 2020 2:04 PM

R55, I had a 2009 Honda Civic and planned on keeping it for a long time. It only had 98K miles or something. But I got into an accident and it totaled out. I cried when I had to let it go because it was such a great car and had been through everything with me. I do love the newer coupe body design (personal preference I guess) and drives so well in comparison, sporty and the car is a nice but basic upgrade. All I know is VW are prone to problems and more expensive to fix. After looking and looking I couldn't find anything that worked for me besides Honda. Good luck!

PS, I just heard they are eliminating the Honda Civic Coupe and Fit after this year.

Catalytic converter theft is HUGE here (major city in the midwest) - definitely take note when buying.

by Anonymousreply 130July 18, 2020 2:49 PM

[quote]PS, I just heard they are eliminating the Honda Civic Coupe and Fit after this year.

I was surprised to read this, but yes it seems to be true.

Sounds like customers prefer the Civic Hatchback and Honda HR-V over the Coupe and the Fit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131July 18, 2020 4:00 PM

What a bunch of jerks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132July 18, 2020 4:01 PM

The Fit was a brilliant design. The fold down seats gave it incredibly storage capacity. Honda needs to work that concept into a coupe or the HRV

by Anonymousreply 133July 18, 2020 4:06 PM

Someone wrote that the Honda HRV is like the fit in a fat suit - big and clunky

by Anonymousreply 134July 18, 2020 4:09 PM

[quote]Someone wrote that the Honda HRV is like the fit in a fat suit - big and clunky

That’s why Americans love it.

by Anonymousreply 135July 18, 2020 4:12 PM

The Honda CRV is a great functional vehicle. Totally unsexy and boring - but great cargo space, reliable and good to drive. And they hold their value - even 5 year old CRVs can be $20k+

by Anonymousreply 136July 18, 2020 4:35 PM

R131 "Sounds like customers prefer the Civic Hatchback and Honda HR-V over the Coupe and the Fit."

Nah, Honda makes less money per unit on the Fit than it does on any other vehicle they make. They dc'd it so they could build and sell more Civic hatchbacks and CR-V's which have a higher profit margin.

It doesn't make the dealers any money either. My 2009 Fit Sport 5-speed looks and runs like it did the day I bought it, 11 years ago this week, and it has never required any service beyond routine oil, fluid, and filter changes, new brake linings, windshield wipers and tires. It's had two recalls, one for the Tanaka airbags and once for some issue with springs in the valvetrain, both covered in full by Honda. I live in the city, it fits easily in my garage and every parking space I see, and aside from filling the tank with gas costs me about $1000 a year for full insurance cover, routine service, plates, inspection, registration fees and the excise tax.

I'll keep it until it falls apart. With only 41,000 miles on it that will hopefully be years from now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137July 18, 2020 4:36 PM

2019 Final edition Beetle. 6 year warranty and zero percent financing if you can still find one!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138July 18, 2020 4:56 PM

VW repairs are too expensive. Never go European.

by Anonymousreply 139July 18, 2020 5:31 PM

I miss the old Volvo and SAAB brands before they were bought out and destroyed. Is there an equivalent today? Subaru?

by Anonymousreply 140July 18, 2020 5:43 PM

"it has never required any service beyond routine oil, fluid, and filter changes, new brake linings, windshield wipers and tires."

R137, have you never been told about replacing the timing belt?

by Anonymousreply 141July 18, 2020 6:32 PM

Subaru was the new Volvo until 5-6 years ago when it started to have some problem that they didn’t fix. There is no new car as reliable - except maybe Honda and Toyota. Like all the old high-end brands, milked for their value by private equity and Wall Street and left to rot until people figured out they had eliminated what made it valuable to make a quick buck.

by Anonymousreply 142July 18, 2020 7:21 PM

R142 that’s sad. My 2013 Subaru got totaled recently after some cunt rear ended me. I am looking for a replacement but is Subaru off the table now? And no, I’m a gay man not a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 143July 18, 2020 7:27 PM

Mazda is tops......or it used to be?

by Anonymousreply 144July 18, 2020 7:30 PM

The above is confusing about Subaru. Is it a safe car?

by Anonymousreply 145July 18, 2020 7:34 PM

Toyota is tops R144. Most mechanics will tell you if you are buying a car, new or used, get a Toyota.

by Anonymousreply 146July 18, 2020 7:36 PM

Subaru is safe - but Honda and Toyota tend to get highest marks for safety now. Not sure if this was the Subaru problem but found the attachéd. I’ve seen a number of references to engine problems. And their resale value has declined. Which is an issue given their new purchase price isn’t the cheapest.

Honda and Toyota win for safety, reliability and value from everything I’ve read. As an eldergay, that’s all I care about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147July 18, 2020 7:42 PM

R147, here in New England, Subarus really hold their value. When my car got written off, I received way more than I was expecting.

by Anonymousreply 148July 18, 2020 7:45 PM

I bought a former Mercedes loaner GLC 300. The dealer took $10,000 off my 4400 mile car. I paid less than my neighbor did for his new CRV.

by Anonymousreply 149July 18, 2020 8:23 PM

Are Mercedes as bad as they say? I'd love to get one of those cute A Class ones

by Anonymousreply 150July 18, 2020 8:34 PM

Bad resale value R150. But...if I had the money I would get the AMG GLE 53 coupe in a heartbeat.

by Anonymousreply 151July 18, 2020 8:54 PM

[quote][R137], have you never been told about replacing the timing belt?

He only has 41,000 miles.

by Anonymousreply 152July 18, 2020 9:40 PM

I love my 2010 Mini Cooper. I will only let him go when he starts to die. Yes, he eats up tires compared to my previous car, but he’s more fun. I don’t mind the rough ride. In fact, I get nervous in cushier rental cars, because I am accustomed to a lot of feedback from the road, in comparison.

The new Mini Cooper electric vehicle is using old technology from BMW i3 from years ago, giving it about 110 mile range. I’ve read that they’re assuming people will have this as a second car, or just use it for city driving. I know that I can rent a car for road trips, but my contrary nature is irritated. Nevertheless, the test drive I had in a BMW i3 was enough to turn my head - those are fun. The gas-powered Mini Coopers in recent years are looking progressively less like a Mini, to me. I drove a new one recently and it felt soft, fat, too quiet. Less go-kart feel. The Clubman, Countryman, and 4-door Cooper are an abomination. I’m not waving at them.

by Anonymousreply 153July 18, 2020 9:42 PM

Mazda is trying to be the new “high-end” mainstream brand. Advertising themselves as a step up in style and excitement from Honda and Toyota.

by Anonymousreply 154July 18, 2020 9:44 PM

Some of BMW’s smaller vehicles, like the X1 and X2 and 2-series Gran Coupe... are really front-wheel-drive Mini platforms made to look like a BMW.

by Anonymousreply 155July 18, 2020 9:51 PM

What are good trucks?

No, I'm not a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 156July 18, 2020 10:14 PM

Mazda's used to stand out from the pack w/r/t to driving dynamics, but not so much anymore. The latest Mazda3 looks great, but dynamically, it is a step down, and that 2.5/6-speed combo they throw in everything is tired. Living with one beyond a test drive seems to require a lot of little compromises. Their interiors are still excellent, though.

by Anonymousreply 157July 18, 2020 10:23 PM

Not just that, R152, but Fit's 1.5 liter engines don't have a timing belt. It's a chain that doesn't need replacing. Or even much maintenance.

And even if it did have a belt that did need replacing at, say, 60,000 miles, it'd be 2025 before I had to think about it.

Snark is never better than when combined with ignorance...

by Anonymousreply 158July 19, 2020 12:13 AM

The Koreans are putting out interesting stuff. If I had the money, I’d like to get a Genesis G90 or even a Kia K900 or Cadenza.

I hear the Stinger is fun to drive but suffers from squeaks and rattles in the hatch.

by Anonymousreply 159July 19, 2020 1:44 AM

I wanted to buy a Subaru Forester. Reliable?

by Anonymousreply 160July 19, 2020 2:00 AM

Rubber timing belts must be changed every 6 years regardless of mileage.

by Anonymousreply 161July 19, 2020 2:02 AM

[quote]I wanted to buy a Subaru Forester. Reliable?

Reliable, but not exciting.

by Anonymousreply 162July 19, 2020 2:06 AM

Mazda is a lot more fun to drive than Toyota and Honda, and they have nicer base interiors. But not quite as reliable, but close behind. I’d check them out.

by Anonymousreply 163July 19, 2020 4:30 AM

Mini Cooper is a small car that eats gas like a Cadillac.

by Anonymousreply 164July 19, 2020 12:18 PM

Anybody have a Subaru Forrester from 2018 or newer?

by Anonymousreply 165July 19, 2020 1:40 PM

Are Volkswagen repairs really that bad? Are they bad cars?

My mom is looking to get a new (used) car. She is looking at the passats. Are they that bad?

She currently has a 2004 buick laSabre but it’s really time she gets something else. Her dashboard is no longer working - like the speedometer And gas gage doesn’t work.

She casually told me this the other day. I said to her - how on earth do you know how fast you’re driving? She said “I don’t, I just keep up with the traffic” she also counts her mileage every time she fills up the gas tank.

I had no idea she was doing this. She can afford a new car but she’s 71 and liked her big old Buick.

Now she’s looking at Passats.

by Anonymousreply 166July 19, 2020 1:50 PM

Seriously? Mini Coopers are gas guzzlers?? Damn. I wanted to get one.

by Anonymousreply 167July 19, 2020 2:36 PM

Seriously? Mini Coopers are gas guzzlers?? Damn. I wanted to get one.

by Anonymousreply 168July 19, 2020 2:36 PM

I like boring and safe cars. Best recommendations?

by Anonymousreply 169July 19, 2020 4:36 PM

R169 a Toyota Corolla.

by Anonymousreply 170July 19, 2020 4:38 PM

Mini Coopers are not gas guzzlers! The turbo AWD versions are thirstier than they regular models buy they aren’t US made trucks.

by Anonymousreply 171July 19, 2020 4:39 PM

R156 said "What are good trucks?

No, I'm not a lesbian. "

Of course not, silly. Lesbians already know and don't have to ask.

by Anonymousreply 172July 19, 2020 4:43 PM

Boring safe car = Honda or Toyota. Depends if you want a sedan or an SUV. Every rating for years has put them in the top 3 of sedan and compact SUV category. Safety, reliability and economy.

by Anonymousreply 173July 19, 2020 5:06 PM

[quote]I like boring and safe cars. Best recommendations?

A beige Toyota Camry.

by Anonymousreply 174July 19, 2020 6:44 PM

22 miles per gallon (or less) for Mini Cooper isn't even as good as my 20 year old Honda Civic.

by Anonymousreply 175July 19, 2020 7:18 PM

[quote] Some even come with a built in vacuum

Chrysler? Nothing comes with them. They charge for every single thing. Things that are standard on other cars for decades, you pay extra for.

by Anonymousreply 176July 19, 2020 7:44 PM

I know nothing about cars because I lived in NYC most of my life. I have a Lexus that’s 15 years old. I’m thinking of getting a new car but I don’t know what this “turbocharged 4 cylinder engine” shit is. I have a 6 cylinder engine. There’s a turn I need to make into an intersection in my area where you really have to scoot out & hit the gas to keep the car behind you from plowing into your car. My 6 cylinder is fine. Is a turbocharged 4 cylinder as fast & smooth?

by Anonymousreply 177July 19, 2020 8:08 PM

R177 Depends. There's this thing called "Turbo lag" which, while not as bad as it was turbocharged engines became widely available, is usually still noticeable. Two cars might get to, say, 60 MPH from zero in the same length of time (one turbo-, one not, of equal hp and torque) but at first there's...a second...which can sometimes feels like an eternity...before the blower cuts in and off you go into traffic.

On average, a four cylinder engine is not as smooth in operation as a six, nor is either as smooth as an eight, but today the differences are pretty much damped out so the driver isn't discomfited by them.

Obviously, drive it and see.

by Anonymousreply 178July 19, 2020 8:22 PM

Honda Toyota and Subaru have all had MAJOR engine issues in the last few years.

Those are supposed to be the top three in quality/reliability.

I think that all cars are pretty much junk now but the real sorry with cars is the hidden inflation.

They have kept car prices about the same for the last 15 years. That should tell you something.

An entry level civic should be costing around 30k but it’s 20k.

So they have to get that inflation out of somewhere. They don’t think they can raise the price so they have to keep stretching and stretching the product.

by Anonymousreply 179July 19, 2020 8:27 PM

Many of the 2020 models have the auto shut-off when the vehicle comes to a stop. Seems extremely unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 180July 19, 2020 8:28 PM

R179 wants a Civic to cost $30k. Please do fuck off you Repig asshole. I hope the Covid gets you good and takes a long time to cancel your putrid existence.

by Anonymousreply 181July 19, 2020 8:54 PM

Most cars have turbocharged engines today because they were an existing technology that could allow manufacturers to meet the government's ever-increasing CAFE standards for fuel economy.

by Anonymousreply 182July 19, 2020 9:12 PM

My last car was a Chevrolet Cruze. I loved it. Good mileage, nice ride, nice options. When my lease was up I was thinking about getting another one. Then GM shitcanned it. RAV4 now. Meh. Not exciting. No android auto. Dunno what to get next.

by Anonymousreply 183July 19, 2020 11:00 PM

Have they make hybrid minivans yet?

by Anonymousreply 184July 19, 2020 11:02 PM

I'm really starting to like the Lexus RX 350

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185July 19, 2020 11:13 PM

R180, both of my car have automatic shutoff, but there’s a disable button in them located just to be left of the shifter.

by Anonymousreply 186July 19, 2020 11:38 PM

[quote] Many of the 2020 models have the auto shut-off when the vehicle comes to a stop. Seems extremely unpleasant.

I had a 2015 Mercedes C-class for a loaner car that had that start-stop system. It was really annoying, almost like driving a gas gold cart.

Fortunately it’s easily disabled in the vehicle settings.

by Anonymousreply 187July 19, 2020 11:53 PM

R183, why didn't you just buy the car you leased?

by Anonymousreply 188July 19, 2020 11:54 PM

We just bought a 2017 Kia Sportage. We love it!

by Anonymousreply 189July 19, 2020 11:57 PM

Thanks, R178

by Anonymousreply 190July 20, 2020 12:57 AM

VW? They have been a mess since the emissions scandal.

Nissan? I own and said never again.

You want the two shittiest foreign cars and I owned them both. I've not heard anything wrong with the Accord? I drove a rental Mazda and had a ball. What about the Subaru Crosstrek. I like the way they look. My neighbor has one and likes it.

by Anonymousreply 191July 20, 2020 5:46 AM

Subaru is overpriced for what you get. If you don’t care about cargo space the Crosstrek /Forester is fine.

Also Honda and Toyota is better for MPG. I’m shocked at how people ignore MPG. Honda and Toyota are almost 20% better than many “competitors” - that’s a huge savings of ownership.

by Anonymousreply 192July 20, 2020 2:02 PM

What good is MPG is the car is leaking gas into the oil tank or having engine problems?

by Anonymousreply 193July 20, 2020 2:06 PM

if

by Anonymousreply 194July 20, 2020 2:06 PM

Honda and Toyota are the most reliable and have the lowest repair costs compared to most other brands.

by Anonymousreply 195July 20, 2020 2:10 PM

As long as you don’t mind the burning gas smell then yeah, ok.

by Anonymousreply 196July 20, 2020 2:15 PM

I don't drive (I take Lyft and Uber everywhere), but if I had the money and wanted to start driving, I'd buy the Genesis G90.

Yes, I'm under 30. The old brands are great, but I really like this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197July 20, 2020 2:16 PM

R195 is posting from 1996.

by Anonymousreply 198July 20, 2020 2:16 PM

Very pretty.

by Anonymousreply 199July 20, 2020 2:17 PM

Sorry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200July 20, 2020 2:17 PM

Have they really started selling BYD cars in America? Warren Buffet is an investor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201July 20, 2020 2:20 PM

Average 36mpg in my 2010 Mini Cooper (not a Sport model). If the newer models are getting worse than that, then that is another reason to look toward electric when he dies.

by Anonymousreply 202July 21, 2020 1:25 AM

CITY MILES, R202? I think NOT.

by Anonymousreply 203July 21, 2020 2:24 AM

The G90 is a beautiful car...

by Anonymousreply 204July 21, 2020 2:06 PM

R202 There's a new refreshed electric Mini. I'm surprised by DL's like of practical small cars even if most of them are small SUVs/crossovers. I'd recommend the Tesla

by Anonymousreply 205July 21, 2020 3:14 PM

R202 There's a new refreshed electric Mini. I'm surprised by DL's like of practical small cars even if most of them are small SUVs/crossovers. I'd recommend the Tesla

by Anonymousreply 206July 21, 2020 3:14 PM

Model 3 as an upgrade for those currently with a Prius, but Elon's behavior is awful.

by Anonymousreply 207July 21, 2020 3:17 PM

I can’t stand that Tesla IPad-style dashboard. All the car’s controls, displays, gauges are on there. Seems like a poor design and very distracting while driving. Dealbreaker for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208July 21, 2020 3:20 PM

Has Honda fixed their A/C problems? I have read several reports that it's an issue with several models.

I also don't love CVT and I believe that's all they have right now?

I like a crossover/SVU type of car. The RAV4 seems way overpriced. I like the looks of the Nissan Rogue, but I don't think I'd do Nissan again. The CRV looks a little too boring for me, and I hate the HRV interior. I'm really thinking about the Civic Hatchback. I like the look a lot and I drove a friend's and liked it. I did feel a little low to the ground, though.

by Anonymousreply 209July 21, 2020 3:43 PM

Most people who want crossovers, in my experience, don’t need them really.

by Anonymousreply 210July 21, 2020 3:57 PM

Maybe because I do a lot of work on my weekend house but I can’t live without an SUV. Otherwise I always end up borrowing siblings cars. I love the CRV - drives like a car, great on gas, great safety features - and huge cargo for its size. Unexciting and unglamorous - but an amazing deal for the money.

by Anonymousreply 211July 21, 2020 4:40 PM

The CR-V is regularly rated as the best in its class. Does everything well at a reasonable price. But yes, it’s boring and plain...an appliance.

by Anonymousreply 212July 21, 2020 5:30 PM

Thoughts on this Nissan Rogue? I had somewhat sworn off Nissan, but everyone I know who has a Rogue loves it....and I love that huge sunroof.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213July 22, 2020 5:32 PM

Why don’t you wait for the redesigned 2021 Rogue?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214July 22, 2020 5:36 PM

I have a Civic and I like it although I occasionally get pangs of regret at not getting something flashier because it is a little dull. One thing I noticed while shopping is that it's quite feature-packed for what you pay. I was looking at the Volvo site yesterday and they're heavily advertising their automated systems like adaptive cruise control and accidental lane-change warnings. Volvo is marketing them as a luxurious feature and they're standard on every Civic! Of course you lose the excellent finishes of a high-end car, but if you're not the flashy type they're a really good compromise. Same goes for the Accord if you want something bigger.

by Anonymousreply 215July 22, 2020 5:53 PM

Most crossovers look similar to one another. That is why they’re so dull. And they all pretty much ride the same. Save for the Hyundai Kona or Mitsubishi Outlander. They ride like shit.

by Anonymousreply 216July 22, 2020 6:07 PM

Ohhhhh.....R214, I do like that 2021 Rogue.

I do think that dealerships in smaller towns often have better deals. This Hyundai dealership is about 2 hours from me, but I have a friend who bought a car there and had a great experience.

This Kona is cute. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of the Rogue I linked, but probably is lot more fun and maybe, reliable?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217July 22, 2020 6:36 PM

And if I really wanted to make a statement...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218July 22, 2020 6:38 PM

I was shopping for a new car but realized there's no where to go since everything is shut down. I'll wait and see what's on sale in mid 2021.

by Anonymousreply 219July 22, 2020 6:40 PM

From all the endorsements for its simplicity, safety and lack of any style, I have decided to buy a Honda CR-V.

Will buy it after X-mas before NYE.

Thanks DL!

by Anonymousreply 220July 23, 2020 12:38 AM

I want something tiny. Honda CR-V will not do.

by Anonymousreply 221July 23, 2020 1:10 AM

G90 Stardust. Lovely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222July 23, 2020 2:17 AM

Honda CR-V gets great review but everytime I look at it I think it looks like a raised minivan.

by Anonymousreply 223July 23, 2020 11:20 AM

r223, as with men, I am looking for a husband not a hookup.

by Anonymousreply 224July 23, 2020 11:22 AM

R222 that I fetching. But I don’t think that that version is coming to North America.

by Anonymousreply 225July 23, 2020 12:55 PM

The Genesis sure does copy a lot of Bentley styling

by Anonymousreply 226July 23, 2020 3:42 PM

I want some size, heft ...at 6'1" I want easy-open big doors, leather interior, a but of luxe. Have dibs on 2020 dealer's-model or in-from-lease models when 2021 Esalades hit showrooms. Did this in 2005 and 2012, very pleased with results, dealer service, General Motors quality.

by Anonymousreply 227July 23, 2020 4:31 PM

CNN Business today:

Demand for the Kia Telluride SUV is so high dealers can't keep them on their lots

By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNN Business

IUpdated 2:33 PM EDT, Thu July 23, 2020

by Anonymousreply 228July 24, 2020 2:06 AM

Honda CRV is a lady car. Fraus, lesbians & divorcees drive them. I’m sure we’ll be flooded with “I’m a big strapping man who drives a CRV” posts, but have you ever seen a man get out of a CRV? Didn’t think so. It’s a wife car.

by Anonymousreply 229July 24, 2020 2:39 PM

In the New York suburbs - YES. Maybe in the boonies of Oklahoma they don't, R229.

by Anonymousreply 230July 24, 2020 3:07 PM

r211 had the correct response, r229.

Besides a capacious, work horse of a vehicle is exactly what a "strapping man" would want in a wife car.

Again, I have been sold on the

Honda CR-V LX FWD [I have done my homework.]

Looking to get it for under $25K at the end of the year.

by Anonymousreply 231July 24, 2020 5:41 PM

If anybody likes Nissans, they are currently doing the most discounting of any makes at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 232July 24, 2020 6:36 PM

You can get a 2020 Rogue or Altima for 20% off the MSRP.

by Anonymousreply 233July 24, 2020 6:37 PM

Isn't this the time of then year when dealers start discounting the 2020s to make room for the 2021s which arrive in a few months?

by Anonymousreply 234July 24, 2020 7:00 PM

I have a Infiniti and it is a piece of garbage, therefore I will not buy a Nissan.

by Anonymousreply 235July 24, 2020 9:13 PM

The bloom fell off Infiniti’s rose when Renault bought a stake in Nissan. The quality and workmanship Nissan was known for went the way of a Kardashian girl’s virginity.

by Anonymousreply 236July 24, 2020 11:17 PM

R231 - how weird that’s exactly what I decided. FWD - as I don’t drive through the tundra and it saves on MPG. LZ because I don’t need bells and whistles - and they now have Honda Sensing standard on LX.

I found one in MD that dropped to $26 - but nothing in NY area anywhere less then $27.6. There aren’t a lot of FWD at lots - so not sure there are going to be deals on them at year end. More like the higher end EX and Touring AWD.

Crazy that a 2019 with 40k miles is $23k. Used Honda’s are crazy expensive - makes much more sense to buy new.

by Anonymousreply 237July 25, 2020 2:15 AM

[quote]Crazy that a 2019 with 40k miles is $23k. Used Honda’s are crazy expensive - makes much more sense to buy new.

Hondas hold their value better, because Honda doesn’t sell to rental car companies or do other fleet sales. So the used car market isn’t flooded with former rentals from Honda like it is with Nissans and Hyundais.

by Anonymousreply 238July 25, 2020 11:29 AM

I have a Subaru and it’s been great. I was initially very hesitant to buy a car with CVT transmission, so I purchased the extended warranty which I have not needed to use 5 years later. My car still looks new and runs great so I will be keeping it as long as possible.

by Anonymousreply 239July 25, 2020 12:48 PM

r237, In Las Vegas (here) the economy is for shit. I see numerous offers for CR-V LXs all under the list of $26K.

I think, for an ugly car - a bonus, that there will be deals during our annual Happy Honda Days! at the end of the year.

Price AND financing.

by Anonymousreply 240July 25, 2020 2:00 PM

If you are getting the LX with 2 wheel drive CRV I am going to tell you exactly what to offer.

$23,000 Then walk away.

They will counter with something around $25,000.

Either stay at 23 if you can wait a couple weeks. Don’t budge.

Or meet them at $24 and it’s yours.

But remember you have to add taxes and fees (should be around $1500 or less)

by Anonymousreply 241July 25, 2020 4:56 PM

Why would anyone buy a crossover without AWD?

by Anonymousreply 242July 25, 2020 4:58 PM

Better gas mileage R242. There is absolutely no need for it in most of the country. The 4 days a year it snows are not worth 10-15% more in gas every year. I also happen to prefer the way FWD drives - AWD feels weird.

by Anonymousreply 243July 26, 2020 3:39 AM

OK, can some savvy DLer talk me out of upgrading from a CR-V LX to a EX?

Is the blind spot camera a thing?

Is it worth shedding some of the satellite buttons and going for the integrated screen?

Help me Obi Wans...

by Anonymousreply 244July 28, 2020 12:05 AM

We still have our Isotta-Fraschini, which we bought cheap from the original owner way be. It's one of those cars for which you have to have a driver, but it does make an impression. Hell to find parts, though.

by Anonymousreply 245July 28, 2020 12:18 AM

[quote] Is the blind spot camera a thing?

Yes, as is the cross traffic alert. It’ll warn you of some cunt flying through the parking lot as your trying to back out of your spot.

by Anonymousreply 246July 28, 2020 12:31 AM

R244, for me the Apple CarPlay which comes on the EX, is a necessity for streaming music options and navigation. I also prefer the moonroof on the EX.

by Anonymousreply 247July 28, 2020 9:07 AM

I had same question. Now that Honda Sensing is on LX as of 2020, no need for EX. Sunroof, Apple Play, interiors are irrelevant to me. Just want that awesome Honda Sensing.

by Anonymousreply 248July 28, 2020 5:21 PM

Again DONT buy a 2020 until 2021 or buy a leftover 2019...you will save a lot and have much less depreciation on your vehicle

by Anonymousreply 249July 28, 2020 5:27 PM

The 2020 LX CR-V now has the far-superior 1.5 liter turbo engine standard, which used to only be available on the EX and higher trims.

by Anonymousreply 250July 28, 2020 7:51 PM

The CR-V is Honda’s best-selling model, and one of the top-sellers among all vehicles in the US. So don’t expect to get a lot of discounts no matter when you buy one. Better deals are available on sedans like the Accord which are slower-selling.

by Anonymousreply 251July 28, 2020 7:53 PM

Anyone besides Honda whores here?

by Anonymousreply 252July 28, 2020 8:55 PM

Yes R252

by Anonymousreply 253July 28, 2020 8:56 PM

I've been looking for a new car on CarGurus.com I like their search function.

by Anonymousreply 254July 28, 2020 9:28 PM

Car Supply PLUMMETS! You Need to Wait until the End of the Year If You Want to Get a Good Deal!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255July 28, 2020 11:01 PM

I love Cargurus too. And I’m looking for a CRV. Who knew I’m a DL stereotype?

The car market is weird right now - and I need to buy a car. But I would think since car manufacturers shut down for 3+ months, the supply at end for year would be worse?

I’ve read 2 articles today about the insanely hot used car market. So now used cars are expensive - new cars aren’t being made, I don’t see deals happening in 3 months,

by Anonymousreply 256July 29, 2020 12:53 AM

I want a mini cooper. Anyone here have one, anyone have any thoughts about them? I hear they were once unreliable, but now are much better.

by Anonymousreply 257July 29, 2020 3:23 AM

Lease, yes for as long as it's on the warranty. Buy, no, because fixes are BMW expensive.

Tiny back seat, almost everything is optional and a rough, rough ride. The base engine has only three cylinders. The four cylinder gets crappy mileage. Still a average repair rate and the repairs are expensive.

It's a niche vehicle. If you want that look, expect to pay for it.

by Anonymousreply 258July 29, 2020 1:10 PM

I Uber-Ed in a Chevrolet Malibu yesterday home from work. Awful awful car. Cheap feeling like and rough riding. And it had that annoying start-stop contraption which made the car jerk from a stoplight. This is why no one buys American cars...it ain’t just about crossovers-Asia and Europe sell both cars and SUVs. They dominate both markets because they make solid products. US automakers make shit. They are abandoning the car market because of the larger profit margins crossovers get which keep the shareholders and CEOs swimming in money. And they make shitty cars. Their crossovers and SUVs are shitty too, but more money can be made from them.

by Anonymousreply 259July 29, 2020 1:19 PM

I would love to buy American - but the poor reliability is a deal breaker. Prices are good though.

by Anonymousreply 260July 29, 2020 1:27 PM

lincoln navigator long-wheelbase.....................you won't regret it.............absolutely awesome SUV.......

by Anonymousreply 261July 29, 2020 2:21 PM

Like someone said: when you buy American, you're paying for inflated executive pay. Not the case with Asian or European.

by Anonymousreply 262July 29, 2020 2:25 PM

I’m shocked at how different prices are based on location. I’m in Mid-Atlantic and there is like a 5% difference on prices within a 100 mile radius.

by Anonymousreply 263July 29, 2020 3:55 PM

Why would anyone buy a CR-V over an Accord sedan? The CR-Vs are so small that you don't get much more room than the Accord. The Accord has a nicer interior, more comfortable ride and better gas mileage. You also can get a better deal than on a CR-V, saving you a few thousand dollars.

by Anonymousreply 264July 29, 2020 4:10 PM

Because you get dissed on the roadway by SUVs & trucks. You’re way down there & they’re up here.

by Anonymousreply 265July 29, 2020 4:25 PM

Umm.. the CRV has 70 cubic feet of storage space vs.....a trunk. That’s it’s main selling point to me over every other type of car - very large storage space for a vehicle that drives like a car, is affordable, gets good MPG and is safe. When I’m 70, I’ll get an Accord. Now I need to haul stuff regularly between places and couldn’t live without an SUV’s storage - but hate the monster cars.

by Anonymousreply 266July 29, 2020 8:48 PM

I drive a 1989 Honda CRX that still runs like a top. However, now that I'm, um, older the low-to-the-ground CRX can be awkward to get in and out of. That's why I'm looking at CRVs and HRVs. It would be nice to get UP into a car instead of DOWN.

by Anonymousreply 267July 29, 2020 9:13 PM

I don’t need a crossover. There’s only me.

by Anonymousreply 268July 29, 2020 9:47 PM

Very happy with my Audi A4. Bought it slightly used and it was certified for 6 years/100k

by Anonymousreply 269July 31, 2020 8:05 PM

Just discovering the 2020 Ford Escape reviews. Seems everyone is impressed with the updates - and reliability is now very good. Also looks much more slick than I expected - better than the other CUVs.

Escape is $22k with full safety features and Apple Car Play - vs $28k for Honda CRV with same features. Leaning towards the Escape - can get new vs a 3 year old 45k mile CRV

by Anonymousreply 270July 31, 2020 8:44 PM

I liked the way that the escapes used to look like you can get good visibility from them but the 2020s changed the design and now they seem to have obscured visibility like every other car these days.

by Anonymousreply 271July 31, 2020 9:16 PM

[quote] I drive a 1989 Honda CRX that still runs like a top

How many time has it been stolen?

by Anonymousreply 272July 31, 2020 9:49 PM

I have a Honda Ridgeline 2017(bought new). Zero issues. I'm 64 and it's easy to get in and out of. Very comfortable. Easy to park. Lots of storage. Front wheel drive so plenty of interior space. Great gas mileage. Easy maintenance. It really is the perfect small truck. I have no regrets about buying it. We used to have horses. Still have two other trucks. The "Ridge" hauled horse feed and hay just fine.

by Anonymousreply 273July 31, 2020 10:29 PM

I just bought a new BMW X5 - I've had several other BMWs over the years but this one far exceeds the others. My last car was 6 yrs old and I can't believe how technology and gadgets have advanced in new cars.

by Anonymousreply 274August 1, 2020 7:20 PM

R272: None. I have a garage space for it, so it's not parked on the street. It was broken into once with intent to steal, but I (still) have a LoJack on the car, and they couldn't get past it. So they stole the battery.

by Anonymousreply 275August 1, 2020 8:11 PM

A new Escalade, $92,482.

by Anonymousreply 276August 13, 2020 2:24 AM

I hate buying cars ... is Consumer Reports still the go to advice source? I buy and keep cars forever ... its time to get rid of my 2007 model

by Anonymousreply 277August 13, 2020 10:04 AM

Edmunds, kbb, and car and driver have been my go to sources for car reviews. Too much focus on 1.5L vs 2.0L or various engine variations is annoying. I have no idea what they are talking about and I want tog et the basic model of any car - not some souped up, overpriced trim level.

by Anonymousreply 278August 13, 2020 3:26 PM

The reason I like the Mini Cooper is because the windshield is not so slanted so you can lean forward in the driver's seat without hitting your head. The only other car I would consider is the VW Golf. I like them small.

by Anonymousreply 279August 16, 2020 4:13 PM

The slanting window thing has gone too far. Front and back. By trying to make all cars look like a Tesla, car designers forgot about the need for more practical things like space and sight lines.

by Anonymousreply 280August 16, 2020 4:18 PM

You can’t see out of any of the new cars. All of them are now designed so that you sit u see earth the engine.

All you see now is floating heads in cars because the seats are too forward and down low.

That’s why they put all this “sight” technology on the cars.

Just design the things so you can see out the front, sides and back.

by Anonymousreply 281August 16, 2020 4:35 PM

So should I just keep my 2000 Honda Civic with 105K miles?

by Anonymousreply 282August 16, 2020 4:52 PM

What about Jeep’s?

by Anonymousreply 283August 16, 2020 5:28 PM

Waiting for 2021 models to come out - so 2020 models are marked down. But everything is delayed due to Covid - curious time see what happens to prices. Used has gotten so expensive it almost makes sense to spend a little more on new.

by Anonymousreply 284August 16, 2020 5:33 PM

[quote]But everything is delayed due to Covid - curious time see what happens to prices.

Probably not much. There will be some rebates and incentives. But manufacturers have ramped down production, so the supply is more matched to demand.

by Anonymousreply 285August 16, 2020 5:35 PM

R283 -- what about Jeep's what? His name?

by Anonymousreply 286August 16, 2020 8:00 PM

R269 what year Audi A4?

by Anonymousreply 287August 21, 2020 2:01 AM

What about Audi A3? It's the smaller version on A4.

by Anonymousreply 288August 21, 2020 12:07 PM

every time I rent a minivan.........i absolutely love it............ I know, this image thing.........but they are insanely spacious and what I can only call "handy".......esp the top of line Toyota sienna...........ridicuously luxurious.........with Camry underpinnings.........

by Anonymousreply 289August 21, 2020 12:22 PM

R289 you would absolutely love this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290August 21, 2020 3:42 PM

Another minivan lover here. Absolutely the best for moving things - which I do often. Drives like a car. Roomy. Gas mileage is the only negative - and I think it is just too weird for a gay man without kids to buy. But is such a practical, incredibly useful vehicle. End up borrowing my sister’s at least once a month.

by Anonymousreply 291August 21, 2020 5:30 PM

When the tsunami hit Japan I noticed in the footage that there were TONS of while minivans on the road. Almost as if a large percentage of the population was required to own a white minivan.

by Anonymousreply 292August 21, 2020 5:37 PM

I'm the guy who said he was set on buying the perfectly ordinary Honda CRV LX.

Because I had so much free time to obsess over the purchase, I struck up conversations with sales folks at the two dealerships in my town plus Carvana and Auto Nation. Every week I would put in a how ya doin' call and go over their inventory on their websites.

Well, the Honda dealership 30 miles from my home had an internet sales person who worked off the MSRP (too much I know) then dropped to the Internet Price, ok deal, and then we started banging out the numbers for specific cars. She checked on her future inventory and said that these 4 cars were the only LX in inventory and none on future order. OK, that may have been not true but I found that ALL the vehicles had BLACK interiors. I live in a desert and that isn't happening. Interesting how a black interior drove the purchase.

We discussed the EX. The only drawback to the LX was that the controls were all over the place with specific buttons. Old tech. The EX had everything on the console and on the unified screen. The upgrade to the EX was something I never considered and while it was not cheap it was not outrageous. Who needs a sunroof? I asked her what the complete off the lot price for the car was, including taxes, their dock fees and all the hidden crap loaded into the final STICKER SHOCK price, and she came up with$30, 400. All I would pay extra was registration to DMV and insurance at my carrier. I told her that I was expecting a budget of $30K and that if she could get it down to $30K it was sold. And she did.

Now, at checkout with the finance guy, I was told that all Hondas in my area are dealer loaded with a theft recovery GPS lojack-like thing because they are stolen so frequently. They could either turn off the service for no cost or transfer the theft protection to me for a one time $200. It did not seem unreasonable. So I bit. And because I am fat (do I type fat) old 'Mo, I do not want to be fiddling with maintenance and, pause for a DL gasp, I bought an extended warranty that added not a lot to the monthly bill.

Now, considering my finances, I will be paying $1000 a month for 24 months after the down payment with no prepay penalty.

I am glad I only do this every 15 years. The old Honda Civic with roll up windows was picked up for donation with 190K miles on it.

Better than a blog.

Oh, and it is Radiant Red.

by Anonymousreply 293October 9, 2020 5:44 AM

I just bought a 2020 VW Golf and already love it. Practical, good gas mileage, slightly more attractive than most other cars in its price range.

by Anonymousreply 294October 9, 2020 2:37 PM

R293 congrats on the new ride. Give us an update after u get a chance to break it in.

by Anonymousreply 295October 9, 2020 6:02 PM

R294, that's the newly redesigned Golf with the smaller engine for better mileage. 1.4, 4-cylinder. Does tiny get up hills without downshifting?

by Anonymousreply 296October 11, 2020 2:49 PM

I don’t have much money and chose private lease. A Peugeot 108. The land is very flat here so I’m content. It’s nice enough, very efficient and has a good sound system(I love music).

by Anonymousreply 297October 11, 2020 2:57 PM

R293 - similar experience. The Ex is definitely worth it for safety and tech features. Waited for prices to come down - but they haven’t. But it’s the best car out there IMO. Wish I could wait 6 months to buy - think prices may soften - but have to buy now so going with the 2020EX. You got a better deal than me - but we also have 9% sales tax.

by Anonymousreply 298October 11, 2020 3:12 PM

r295, update. It is a superb vehicle.

It has a two-page cheat sheet on the dash settings. I recommend owners memorize it.

by Anonymousreply 299December 29, 2020 1:30 PM

I love cars. My BF does not. We're moving from a big city where a car has not been necessary to an area we are definitely going to need to each have our own set of wheels.

I had a BMW 325 for 17 years that I loved. She needed too many $$$ repairs to pass inspection, so she was a casualty of 2020.

A friend has a Genesis that is a sweet ride, but they are somewhat expensive, and we're trying to save up to eventually buy a house.

We will probably get something safe, reliable, affordable and BORING for him i.e. a Toyota or a Hyundai.

I am eyeing vintage Mercedes 450SL for me for a weekend car. I know - they are gas guzzlers and impractical with only 2 seats - but I love the way they drive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300December 29, 2020 2:15 PM

Philosophically, I could be into the Tesla 3 - but I can't fucking stand Elon Musk.

by Anonymousreply 301December 29, 2020 2:16 PM

R301 -- Totally agree. I won't buy anything that Musk has been part of.

by Anonymousreply 302December 29, 2020 5:48 PM

I'd worry more about the cost of repairs than the cost of gas. Make sure to identify a good independent repair shop before you make the plunge.

by Anonymousreply 303December 29, 2020 6:04 PM

Any thoughts on the Honda HR-V? About the only criticism I've found is that it's slow to accelerate.

by Anonymousreply 304December 29, 2020 6:43 PM

R304, buy a Fit if you can find one. They do everything better than the H-RV for less money. They're on the same platform. The H-RV is a Fit on stilts, and it's slower, more expensive, and gets worse mileage.

If that doesn't work for you, look at a Hyundai Kona, or a Kia Seltos or Soul..

by Anonymousreply 305December 29, 2020 8:06 PM

Now I feel like a cliche. Read this thread earlier in the year - it was super helpful. Ended up buying a Honda CRV EX.

I am always ambivalent about stuff I buy after a while - but I am 100% happy and LOVE the CRV EX. Does exactly what I want - drives well, has pickup/passing power, comfortable to drive for long periods, good on gas, great safety features (worth upgrading from the LX - plus you get power seat and sunroof as a bonus).

Absolutely the best value out there. And outperforms more expensive ones I tried. Am I boring? Maybe - but I am so excited and happy with this car.

by Anonymousreply 306December 29, 2020 9:39 PM

Marry me r306

[What color?]

r293

by Anonymousreply 307December 29, 2020 11:56 PM

[quote]Well, the Honda dealership 30 miles from my home had an internet sales person who worked off the MSRP (too much I know) then dropped to the Internet Price, ok deal, and then we started banging

Oh my! No wonder you got such a deal.

by Anonymousreply 308December 30, 2020 12:18 AM

We were bargaining. Funny typo, though.

r293

by Anonymousreply 309December 30, 2020 2:16 AM

Wait, wait, we WERE banging out an agreement.

Not a typo. We WERE banging.

by Anonymousreply 310December 30, 2020 2:29 AM

Black on black. Was actually hard to find but only colors I wanted.

by Anonymousreply 311December 30, 2020 2:42 AM

To whoever mentioned the Honda Fit, it's being discontinued in the US after the 2020. Shame because I was considering it also.

by Anonymousreply 312December 30, 2020 3:10 AM

We don't have small kids, but we have a minivan and use it like a truck (take out the middle seats and fold down the back.) Also to be able to drive guests around when they visit. We are looking at a 2019 Odyssey. We can get a 2019 EX with 30000 miles for $27500 or a new (believe it or not) Odyssey 2019 "touring" model for $36500. Touring gets you leather (neutral on) DVD (don't need or want) Power tailgate and sunroof (both pluses.) Any advice?

by Anonymousreply 313December 30, 2020 3:31 AM

If it’s a 2019, it’s not new.

The 2021 oddesey is already on the lots. It’s slightly updated, not a major model change but at least compare new to the used prices.

I would think a 2020 brand new one would be a good deal if there are any left.

But at least check the 2021s as well to see if you’re even saving anything by going used.

by Anonymousreply 314December 30, 2020 3:54 AM

R306, any oil dilution problems? Funny smells?

Keep us updated.

by Anonymousreply 315December 30, 2020 3:57 AM

R314, it has like 30 miles on it, and the dealership said it kind of "slipped through the cracks"? That seems new to us? 2021 Touring I think is around 45k.

by Anonymousreply 316December 30, 2020 4:04 AM

Oh they did have one 2020 new Touring. It was $37,500 and a color we didn't care for. Does the year matter if the style/features haven't changed?

by Anonymousreply 317December 30, 2020 4:08 AM

Anyone have any pros/cons about the Acura RDX SUV?

by Anonymousreply 318January 20, 2021 5:53 PM

Electric or Hybrid?

by Anonymousreply 319January 20, 2021 6:40 PM

We ordered a new Porsche Taycan today.

by Anonymousreply 320February 6, 2021 11:27 PM

Look for a good pre owned car the markets overstocked with 3 year old formerly leased vehicles with 30,000 miles or more on them. Bought a 2016 Honda CRV with all wheel drive, rear view camera, heated exterior mirrors, sun/moon roof...very happy and deals are better than ever now. With Carfax you can see the vehicle history. Lots to choose from. And most still have some warranties left on them.

by Anonymousreply 321February 6, 2021 11:36 PM

Well, smell R320's shit!

by Anonymousreply 322February 6, 2021 11:49 PM

If you want reliability and value you can't beat a Toyota. Year in and year out they place as one of the best buys. I would check with Consumer Reports who do extensive research based on the vehicle owners. Might give you some good ideas on what used cars to consider and how the 2020 and 2021's stack up. I have always owed large SUV's for quite a while. I have a 2019 Ford Expedition and haven't had any problems in 18 months of ownership.

by Anonymousreply 323February 7, 2021 12:16 AM

I agree with you R323. Toyotas are usually VERY reliable. Its' dull but a Toyota Camry is EXTREMELY reliable.

by Anonymousreply 324February 7, 2021 12:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!