Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Marvel Films And The Casting Couch

There's no way that such a hot guy factory of a film series didn't have casting couch dynamics behind the scenes of the casting process. I find it hard to believe that most of those guys, if not all, didn't have to either suck cock or bend over to get to play a superhero. So, who are some likely candidates for the marvel casting couch? My money's on Tom Holland. I find it hard to believe that he got such a desired roll so quickly despite being a nobody. He definetly had to do some "favors".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 30, 2021 10:28 AM

OP believes the Wayfair conspiracy.

by Anonymousreply 1July 12, 2020 6:51 PM

Every young actor in Hollywood was reaching for that roll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 12, 2020 6:52 PM

R2 Dammit, I didn't even notice the typo.

by Anonymousreply 3July 12, 2020 6:53 PM

Honey, from the looks of him he hasn't eaten a roll in years.

by Anonymousreply 4July 12, 2020 6:53 PM

There were definitely rumors about Chris Hemsworth/Tom Hiddleston using the casting couch to get their Thor roles.

by Anonymousreply 5July 12, 2020 6:54 PM

Sounds like crazy talk to me.

by Anonymousreply 6July 12, 2020 7:02 PM

I love you r2! I've made the same mistake with roll and role before on DL. My fellow posters were not as funny when my time came for a reminder.

Op, the Marvel Films have to be the most carefully crafted saga ever put to film. They created an entire department to create a consistent feel and narrative to the films, which brought in records amount of money. That means that every major decision had to get a green light from the studio. The leads and directors were one of the most important decisions. No one's ass or throat is worth risking a multi-billion-dollar movie franchise. Marvel runs like Soviet Russia's central committee. Thor and Iron Man were a little looser in the beginning because they were trying to gauge the public interests in these characters, but studios still called the shots.

Unless Spider-Man, Thor, and Captain America hopped onto 10-20 different dicks, there is little to no way that they could use the casting couch to secure such a big role. Maybe they sucked a dick to get into the final round or to get in the door for an audition, but the final decisions was made via committee.

by Anonymousreply 7July 12, 2020 7:23 PM

Slightly OT, the one I've always wondered about is not a Marvel film but a DC film. It was rumored that Patty Jenkins was not a fan of Zack Snyder's choice of Gal Gadot for Wonder Woman as she was preparing to direct the first movie and there were murmurs that she might want to replace her in the part. Next thing I see is Patty Jenkins saying how great Gal Gadot is and they were laughing and smiling together and complimenting each other in interviews like BFFs. Are there any rumors about Patty Jenkins being into women because there is no doubt in my mind that Gal Gadot would do the Labia Lap Dance or the Vagina Monologue to keep that role.

by Anonymousreply 8July 12, 2020 8:52 PM

R8 If we can talk about DC, then the obvious candidate for the casting couch is Ezra. Two franchises after a dry-ish patch, not to mention them being willing to tolerate his personality. And him escaping any studio wrath from the choking video.

by Anonymousreply 9July 12, 2020 9:00 PM

Maybe on the Singer films. No word on Feige being family, so I doubt anything with those actors.

by Anonymousreply 10July 12, 2020 9:01 PM

There is no way Cavill didn’t do anything for that Superman role!

by Anonymousreply 11July 12, 2020 9:03 PM

OOPs - Superman is DC, but still.

by Anonymousreply 12July 12, 2020 9:04 PM

Besides Gal, the DC actors seem like a sad lot. It's a shame because I prefer DC heroes.

by Anonymousreply 13July 12, 2020 9:08 PM

Tom Holland had several well-received roles in the UK before Spider. He played the lead in Billy Elliot on the West End for 2 years, got great strong reviews (and awards) for The Impossible, and appeared in films with Tom Hardy and Saoirse Ronan. He also did Wolf Hall (with Mark Rylance) for the BBC appearing as Oliver Cromwell's son. He was one of the up-and-coming British actors before he landed Spidey.

by Anonymousreply 14July 12, 2020 10:00 PM

[quote]There is no way Cavill didn’t do anything for that Superman role!

He didn't do anything IN the role either.

by Anonymousreply 15July 13, 2020 1:16 AM

R15 he was decent in the Justice League movie.

by Anonymousreply 16July 13, 2020 2:20 AM

That reminds me... what have the Durrell creatures been up to lately?

by Anonymousreply 17July 13, 2020 3:41 AM

R7 is correct, when the studio is spending hundreds of millions of dollars on each film and planning to spend billions on a franchise that's meant to run for decades... they are NOT going to let the director's dick make major casting decisions.

And BTW I think the hundred-million-dollar superhero film is going to be another casualty of the pandemic, not enough movie theaters will survive the pandemic to keep Marvel Films' business model alive. There will be no more movies earning a billion dollars in their first month of release, and therefore no million dollars that have a nine-figure special effects budget. It was fun while it lasted, but the superhero party is over.

by Anonymousreply 18July 13, 2020 5:52 AM

Based on how excited Snyder seems to get when talking about violence, maybe Cavill just invited him to a training session where he was sparring or working on a punching bag?

by Anonymousreply 19July 13, 2020 6:07 AM

[quote]they are NOT going to let the director's dick make major casting decisions.

But...but...that's how I make all my decisions!

by Anonymousreply 20July 13, 2020 10:27 AM

Ryan Reynolds. Yes? That was just a guess. Do any of you have the real T to spill?

by Anonymousreply 21July 13, 2020 2:11 PM

Are you saying Reynolds sucked off Wolverine?

by Anonymousreply 22July 14, 2020 11:45 AM

Reynolds' trajectory was actually pretty clear from on-camera work. Motormouth funnyman on TV to motormouth funnyman in Van Wilder to motormouth funnyman in assorted romcoms to motormouth action sidekick in Blade 3 to motormouth action sidekick in that terrible Wolverine movie to motormouth action star in that terrible Green Lantern movie to motormouth action star in Deadpool.

by Anonymousreply 23July 14, 2020 1:55 PM

Yeah, Ryan Renokds sort of payed his dues and is in that neutral category that places him well with any co-star.

I know this is sappy, but I like his relationship with Blake Lively. Keeps her away from a lot of movies cause the girl can barely act. His family seems genuine. Maybe it works because they are in NYC and Canada most of the time instead of LA.

by Anonymousreply 24July 14, 2020 9:52 PM

Wasn't Robert Downey Jr. broke before he got Iron Man? Did he let Jon Favreau fuck him for the part?

by Anonymousreply 25July 14, 2020 10:22 PM

No one's that broke.

by Anonymousreply 26July 15, 2020 1:43 AM

TOM HOLLAND

by Anonymousreply 27August 4, 2020 3:00 AM

R9 Let us wait and see if the Flash solo film is ever made. Cause Ezra is such a tiresome cunt, if it is made, he definitely got fucked.

by Anonymousreply 28August 4, 2020 3:08 AM

[Quote] Let us wait and see if the Flash solo film is ever made.

I thought it was still happening.

by Anonymousreply 29August 4, 2020 1:24 PM

Hiddleston auditioned for the role of Thor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 4, 2020 1:39 PM

Madden bounced on a few dicks for his role.

by Anonymousreply 31August 4, 2020 1:43 PM

Madden bounced on a few dicks to get his parking validated.

by Anonymousreply 32August 4, 2020 2:07 PM

There's no way there was a casting couch situation for any of the big characters - as R7 has said, these are movies with massive budgets, massive amounts of people involved, and massive potential profits - there is just no way anyone would have got a major role by putting out.

Aside from THAT, none of the picks for any of the major roles has been questioned as inappropriate - if anything, their casting has been pretty much consistently spot-on, and all the actors talented and defining the roles as their own. If any of them had been woefully mis-cast or clearly under performing then I could understand some accusations of casting couch/favour casting but that's just not the case so it doesn't stack up any way you look at it.

by Anonymousreply 33August 5, 2020 8:32 AM

Captain Marvel is a miscast dear r33. Anyway, the rumor is that Thor and Cap were among the finalists among many equally talented selections. They performed extra "auditions" to get the edge and ssal the deal. I can definitely see it with Thor. His role was made to be bland, very replaceable.

by Anonymousreply 34August 5, 2020 9:23 AM

R26 is correct. No one's that broke.

by Anonymousreply 35August 5, 2020 10:14 AM

s correct, when the studio is spending hundreds of millions of dollars on each film and planning to spend billions on a franchise that's meant to run for decades... they are NOT going to let the director's dick make major casting decisions.

LOL. Like the director comes out and says that he picked his finalists based on what his dick wants. What actually happens is that there are some choices and the studio execs listen to what some pencil pusher, media analysts, say and then hear who the director wants, and then they come to a decision. You really think studio execs make the effort to find out whether the director made some side deal with one, or several, of the choices? They are interested in numbers and money. SJW backlash or #MeToo isn't on their radar. They expect their director to be professional, but don't push for it. Like, can you imagine studio execs grilling Michael Bay how he picked the latest female lead?

by Anonymousreply 36August 5, 2020 10:40 AM

R35 r36 thank you PR shills but no thanks. We are very aware you are monitoring these threads and vomitting your overlord's words.

by Anonymousreply 37August 5, 2020 10:45 AM

R7 is right. No one hit the casting couch for the big pics.

They strapped into the sling.

by Anonymousreply 38August 5, 2020 10:49 AM

Sure, sure. The one line the egomaniacs in Hollywood will never cross is using the casting couch for big leading roles. Let's just forget all about Weinstein. No, those insecure douchebags would never get their rocks off by making a casting couch conquest the star of their big budget franchise making big money anyway. They are too professional for that!

by Anonymousreply 39August 5, 2020 10:54 AM

r37 my apologies. I forgot to put the first paragraph in quotes. The first paragraph was from r18.

[quote] [R7] is correct, when the studio is spending hundreds of millions of dollars on each film and planning to spend billions on a franchise that's meant to run for decades... they are NOT going to let the director's dick make major casting decisions.

LOL. Like the director comes out and says that he picked his finalists based on what his dick wants. What actually happens is that there are some choices and the studio execs listen to what some pencil pusher, media analyst, says and then hear who the director wants, and then they come to a decision. You really think studio execs make the effort to find out whether the director made some side deal with one, or several, of the choices? They are interested in numbers and money. SJW backlash or #MeToo isn't on their radar. They expect their director to be professional, but don't push for it. Like, can you imagine studio execs grilling Michael Bay why he's pushing so hard for one of the choices as the female lead?

by Anonymousreply 40August 5, 2020 11:00 AM

Harvey Weinstein wasn't trying to hang a billion dollar franchise on Gretchen Mol.

by Anonymousreply 41August 5, 2020 11:03 AM

I'm curious about Gal Gadot.

She's not plausible as Wonder Woman. She's lacking the presence you need to play a strong female lead.

It's like Hollywood is casting models instead of professional actresses these days.

by Anonymousreply 42March 26, 2021 6:41 PM

[Quote] She's not plausible as Wonder Woman. She's lacking the presence you need to play a strong female lead.

I think she's doing just fine. WW84 was asking alot of her though.

[Quote] It's like Hollywood is casting models instead of professional actresses these days.

That's been happening for a while now. Hollywood doesn't want to take chances anymore.

by Anonymousreply 43March 28, 2021 9:18 AM

Another vote for Ryan Reynolds. It's just a question of which hole.

by Anonymousreply 44March 28, 2021 9:45 AM

I don't believe a word. The casting of these big movies don't depend on one or two persons, so fucking X wouldn't help to get the role.

This is a way of perpetuating the idea of gays linked to pedophilia, rape and sexual abuse.

by Anonymousreply 45March 28, 2021 10:22 AM

I'm willing.

by Anonymousreply 46March 28, 2021 11:00 AM

R45 So that's why was Ryan was a pass around bottom.

by Anonymousreply 47March 28, 2021 11:13 AM

r47 Your sexual fantasies don't compute.

by Anonymousreply 48March 28, 2021 11:15 AM

The MCU "Spider-Man" films are horrible. Tom Holland is not playing Spider-Man. He's playing the Iron Boy. Of course, on the surface he is Spider-Man: he wears red and blue, loosens webs, climbs on the walls, but Spider is much more than that. "With great power, great responsibilities must also come" is not just a great quote, it is the essence of being Spider-Man. He helps people because he can. At the MCU, Peter is motivated by the desire to be an Avenger and to show Iron Man that he is up to the task. The real Peter Parker doesn't give a damn about that. Spider-Man never cared to be called a hero. If the people he saves call him a threat, fine, he'll save them anyway, because that's what he does. It is all about saving people. In the MCU, he doesn't save people. He tries to stop the bad guys and fails regularly, actively harming ordinary people. He cannot prevent a bank robbery without allowing the perpetrators to escape and destroy another innocent person's business. He can't stop a boat from breaking, even with the help of a Super AI that he didn't invent. When you core a character, you get a shell, and that's what Spider-Man MCU is. Holland has charisma but he is not really Spider-Man. He weaves webs and makes jokes, but he is a superficial homunculus of everything that made the character one of the most important and enduring superheroes.

by Anonymousreply 49March 28, 2021 11:29 AM

Rocket Racoon slept his way to the middle.

by Anonymousreply 50March 28, 2021 11:45 AM

"There were definitely rumors about Chris Hemsworth/Tom Hiddleston using the casting couch to get their Thor roles."

Likewise, and that was VERY early in the game, before Marvel Films became one of the most successful new businesses in the entire world. And notice that the director was not brought back, totally shut out of a place on the Marvel money train!

No, I don't think there's any casting couch involved in casting the major franchise roles, casting someone for a part that's meant to generate billions in viewership and toy sales is not going to be left up to any one person's dick. And the casting has generally been excellent, just superb, they even found someone who could make the boring character of Captain America interesting! No, except for a few early misfires like Jeremy Renner, they've done a great job.

And they're not going to change anything, except health screening for any new hires, RIP Chadwick Boseman. You were so superb, I'm going to miss seeing you in all the sequels.

by Anonymousreply 51March 28, 2021 6:00 PM

Guys like Weinstein get a cheap thrill out of making one of their casting couch conquests big stars.

Hollywood isn't just about money. It's as much about ego. And there's no greater ego trip than knowing that some A-List star was once your fucktoy. And this isn't just about Hollywood execs.

A couple of years back Henry Cavill got into a bit of trouble for getting a bit too cozy with an author who was about to get one of her novels turned into a movie (or was it a TV show?) and he wanted to make sure he gets the lead role. It didn't pan out and a few days later he got the Netflix gig, The Watcher.

by Anonymousreply 52March 28, 2021 6:38 PM

Holland's being smart and taking interesting roles in quirkier movies in between comic book movies. He's quite good in them, too, so he might just be the real deal. I do wonder what will happen to the likes of Chris Hemsworth who, besides being very attractive, has never really shown that he's anything other than semi-capable in the acting department.

by Anonymousreply 53March 28, 2021 6:56 PM

R42, pretty sure she had to whore it up and got gang banged, considering she shot up into the spotlight from lord knows where. But being a jew probably helped her have a slight edge.

by Anonymousreply 54March 28, 2021 6:59 PM

"Hollywood isn't just about money. It's as much about ego. And there's no greater ego trip than knowing that some A-List star was once your fucktoy. And this isn't just about Hollywood execs."

I'm just not hearing any nasty rumors trickling out of Marvel Films, not the kind that preceded the fall of Harvey Weinstein by several decades. Maybe they're behaving professionally there for the most part, because they've done a superb job of capitalizing on their early surprise success and turning some widely despised comic books into the world's biggest money-spinner.

Not that they're all keeping their dicks in their pants or anything, but maybe they know better than to let their fun interfere with their work. So far.

by Anonymousreply 55March 28, 2021 7:13 PM

r51 Those "rumours" are just people outside of the industry projecting their sexual fantasies or jealous actors acting out. Thor wasn't the first movie from Marvel (it was Ironman) they knew they were doing a big movie and put a lot of money to make it. Obviously they wont alow the dick of some employee to decide the casting. Regarding the directors, none of them has repeated, except for Taika, so nothing suspicious there. Happens in most franchises, they change directors.

by Anonymousreply 56March 28, 2021 8:23 PM

R51 Joss Is Whedon was a repeat director for Marvel: Avengers and Avengers Age of Ultron

by Anonymousreply 57March 29, 2021 3:47 AM

Okay fine, none of the directors have repeated except Waititi and Whedon.

And Peyton Reed.

And James Gunn.

And the Russos.

And John Favreau.

And Jon Watts.

And Ryan Coogler.

But that's all!

by Anonymousreply 58March 29, 2021 11:20 AM

r49 canceled spiderman

by Anonymousreply 59March 29, 2021 11:28 AM

Thor 1, Thor 2, Thor 3 have different directors.

by Anonymousreply 60March 29, 2021 1:25 PM

Tom Holland is either nepotism or casting couch. There's no way that he was the best candidate for the role. There were other actors more attractive and talented.

by Anonymousreply 61March 29, 2021 3:36 PM

"Thor 1, Thor 2, Thor 3 have different directors."

But Thor 3 and the upcoming Thor 4 will have the same director! Which is great, because Thor 3 was way the hell better than 1 and 2.

As for Tom Holland, if they were looking for an adult who can convincingly play a gormless high school kid, they found one.

by Anonymousreply 62March 29, 2021 7:44 PM

r62 Yes. Someone questioned why Kenneth B. didn't return for Thor 2 and it's obvious is a common occurrence in franchises to change directors, I suppose to keep pushing the envelope or when the former didn't meet the expectations.

by Anonymousreply 63March 29, 2021 7:53 PM

Casting is so good for the MCU I don't see anyone that's a likely case of the casting couch in play. A couple of cases of directors hiring good friends, and James Gunn casting his brother in a supporting role, that's as near as it gets.

by Anonymousreply 64March 30, 2021 1:36 AM

[Quote] pretty sure she had to whore it up and got gang banged, considering she shot up into the spotlight from lord knows where.

Fast and The Furious was her big break. Gal was supposed to play Faora in MOS but she was pregnant at the time.

by Anonymousreply 65March 30, 2021 10:16 AM

The first Iron Man and the first Avengers were cool movies, but then it went all downhill and predictable. Age of Ultron was utter garbage.

by Anonymousreply 66March 30, 2021 10:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!