Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

To Love Somebody by The Bee Gees (1967)

The Bee Gees get a bad rap but this song is fantastic. I wonder if Robin and Maurice were jealous that Barry (and Andy) got all the looks?!?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 14, 2020 7:42 PM

Barry and Andy got all the looks.

It's like the twins had to split everything...each only becoming 50% as attractive as they otherwise could have been.

by Anonymousreply 1July 11, 2020 5:23 PM

If they're making films about the rock stars of that era... is anyone making a movie about the BeeGees?

Wouldn't it be great, a movie about four brothers going up and down and up the ladder of fame, with two of them being really hot, and all that great music?

by Anonymousreply 2July 11, 2020 5:34 PM

[quote]If they're making films about the rock stars of that era... is anyone making a movie about the BeeGees?

I was going to say that it would be fun to have a movie like Mama Mia using the Bee Gees.

Then, I realized they already have...called Saturday Night Fever.

by Anonymousreply 3July 12, 2020 12:05 AM

I like the Jimmy Somerville version of this song.

by Anonymousreply 4July 12, 2020 12:28 AM

Barry is the also the only one still alive. The other 3 died young. He was knighted a few years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 12, 2020 11:51 AM

The entire first album, cleverly titled [italic]Bee Gees' 1st[/italic] , is often overlooked among the other great albums of 1967. It's better than a lot of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 12, 2020 11:59 AM

The Bee Gees are amazing. Their older songs are so evocative and Jive Talkin’ has the best groove. Love them.

by Anonymousreply 7July 12, 2020 12:03 PM

The Bee Gees get a bad rap because American audiences were ignorant and stupid. They were great through ALL their incarnations. To Love Somebody was written for Otis Redding to sing. Nina Simone did an excellent version

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 12, 2020 12:28 PM

Was there still FOUR Bee Gees back then?

by Anonymousreply 9July 12, 2020 1:47 PM

Looks like five, r9.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 12, 2020 1:53 PM

I love the Bee Gees. The early stuff was a little before my time, but I listened, anyway. As popular as their music is / was, they're still underrated, IMO.

Barry had (has) the falsetto voice. Robin sounded sort of like a lamb or goat (in a good way). Maurice's voice was a more normal-sounding voice.

Off the top of my head, my favorites: "Nights on Broadway," "Jive Talkin'," & "Stayin' Alive."

by Anonymousreply 11July 12, 2020 6:31 PM

Thank God they got thier teefs taken care of.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 12, 2020 10:12 PM

Love this song so much! Many great recordings of it, but I still love the Bee Gees version the most.

by Anonymousreply 13July 13, 2020 12:01 AM

Anybody get a gander at that bulge Barry was sporting ? I always loved this song,but I honestly thought it was much later . I had no idea it was from 67 . I rmember when it was fashionable to hate the Bee Gee's but i never did . Their disco songs are still on my playlist.

by Anonymousreply 14July 13, 2020 12:29 AM

The Bee Gees are legends. If all they did was stop making music after the Odessa album, they'd still be legendary even without the disco/SNF years.

To Love Somebody is classic soul, it stands with any of the other classics of that period written by Americans. The brothers were also incredible live performers, their live double album recorded at the LA Forum during the '76 tour is fantastic and I still play it when in the mood.

by Anonymousreply 15July 13, 2020 12:32 AM

that’s funny, besides Barry I always thought Maurice was the handsome one. He had a daddy bear look. Robin was too fey and Andy reminded me too much of a California surfer

by Anonymousreply 16July 13, 2020 12:32 AM

R16 did you have cataracts back then ??? God love him , but Maurice was by far the ugliest man going !

by Anonymousreply 17July 13, 2020 12:35 AM

Not so r17, he was totally decent looking when younger, and still attractive in middle age. The hair loss of course aged him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 13, 2020 12:40 AM

[quote] is anyone making a movie about the BeeGees

In 2019. it was announced that Paramount is planning a Bee Gees biopic with the producers of "Bohemian Rhapsody".

I like Billy Corgan's take on "To Love Somebody".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 13, 2020 12:46 AM

It's a shame they didn't do the movie take about 20-25 years ago. A younger Heath Ledger would have been a shoo-in for Andy, who imo had the most tragic story in that family.

Johnny Depp (pre-2000) would have been perfect for Barry, although he is a bit short (Barry is 6 ft or near there, Depp is a shrimp).

by Anonymousreply 20July 13, 2020 12:52 AM

Maurice looked like Ringo Starr.

by Anonymousreply 21July 13, 2020 1:02 AM

R18 Mea culpa ! I got Maurice confused with Robin ! You are right,Maurice wasnt bad looking .

by Anonymousreply 22July 13, 2020 1:02 AM

Weird title, but another great Bee Gees song was "Fanny Be Tender." I think Beyonce covered it (also covered, with Destiny's Child, "Emotion."

by Anonymousreply 23July 13, 2020 1:05 AM

I love the early Bee Gees stuff....In The Morning, Nina also did a great cover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 13, 2020 1:49 AM

Nina

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 13, 2020 1:50 AM

Robin Gibb singing Massachusetts

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 13, 2020 1:54 AM

Yes Maurice was handsome.

I should know - I was married to him once!

by Anonymousreply 27July 13, 2020 1:58 AM

Unfortunately with the Bee Gees it was about timing. When they switched musically with Jive Talkin they were trying to make R&B records in the manner of The Ohio Players, Earth Wind and Fire and Philly Soul. It just happened coincided with the rise of Disco Music and culture and they got swept up in it with Saturday Night Fever and got credited or blamed for all of Disco. That's why they became bitter about it.

by Anonymousreply 28July 13, 2020 6:21 AM

Love them. Beatles sound here, great song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 13, 2020 6:27 AM

I've never seen them as disco artists because their later music from '74 and onwards was much more funk and soul-leaning like r28 mentioned. I love "Fanny (Be Tender with My Love)". Great song.

It's interesting how at the dawn of the '80s, both CHIC and the Bee Gees were both rejected from radio yet the productions by Nile Rodgers/Bernard Edwards and The Brothers Gibb were hugely popular throughout the '80s.

by Anonymousreply 30July 13, 2020 7:14 AM

That lip-sync video performance is creepy. They look like they’re the performing robots at a Showbiz Pizza pizzeria.

by Anonymousreply 31July 13, 2020 8:10 AM

Absolutely love Robin Gibb's voice ( and I know it's a bit 'Marmite' for most) - from Massachusetts, Odessa, Saved by The Bell etc. Sad the 'Disco Sucks' blighted their legacy; hopefully that might change as they're better than many, and as song-writers they are truly top top-tier (Al Green's How Can You Mend A Broken Heart?, all the Streisand Stuff, Diana Ross, Dionne Warwick, Dolly & Kenny.. ).

by Anonymousreply 32July 13, 2020 8:53 AM

The rhythm section of Stayin Alive is masterful and still to this day sounds great, not dated at all.

They were songwriting geniuses of the highest order.

by Anonymousreply 33July 13, 2020 11:35 AM

R33 Their producer Albhy Galuten came up with that beat in Stayin’ Alive - he was a pioneer in drum looping.

by Anonymousreply 34July 13, 2020 4:25 PM

R34: apparently Galuten came up with the guitar riff in Staying Alive too. He was the real secret weapon in their sound.

by Anonymousreply 35July 14, 2020 5:42 AM

apparently Victoria Principal was really in love with Andy, even though she was at the peak of her career and his was sliding. That would make for a good movie. She gave him an ultimatum and he decided to go on with the drugs instead of trying to fix himself up.

by Anonymousreply 36July 14, 2020 3:58 PM

Heath would’ve been too tall to play Andy. Heath was 6’1 Andy was 5’6.

When destiny’s child covered emotion Kelly Rowland interviewed Beyoncé on mtv and asked her about the writing process. One of the songs she bey mentioned was emotion which made me chuckle.

by Anonymousreply 37July 14, 2020 4:13 PM

[quote]They were songwriting geniuses of the highest order.

Um, let's not get carried away here.

by Anonymousreply 38July 14, 2020 4:17 PM

They had more UK number 1s as songwriters for other artists/cover versions than they did their own songs.

Diana Ross - Chain Reaction

Barbra Streisand - Woman In Love

Take That - How Deep Is Your Love

Boyzone - Words

Steps - Tragedy

Nessa & Bryn - Islands In The Stream

by Anonymousreply 39July 14, 2020 4:27 PM

My favourite Bee Gees song is the mid 90s classic. I love this version but imagine Wilson Phillips and their harmonies let loose on it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 14, 2020 4:32 PM

[quote]Um, let's not get carried away here.

Oh look! It's another obvious Bee-Gees-in-disguise song from the post-disco years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 14, 2020 5:06 PM

[quote]Take That - How Deep Is Your Love

The only "How Deep Is Your Love?" that matters is the original "How Deep Is Your Love?"

by Anonymousreply 42July 14, 2020 5:11 PM

the cover version of “Emotion” by Destiny’s Child is atrocious. Beyoncé is just over doing every single note, throwing miasma all over a song that never needed it. It’s on par with the Luther Vandross/Mariah Carey cover of “Endless Love” in its overwrought vocals. Playing the Samantha Sang version is like a soothing ear tonic after listening to Beyoncé destroy it.

Thumbs down, Weaveoncé

by Anonymousreply 43July 14, 2020 7:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!