Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Netflix Umbrella Academy Season 2

July 31!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208December 2, 2020 3:24 PM

This is a damn good show. It’s been a long wait but looks like it will be worth it

by Anonymousreply 1July 8, 2020 2:58 PM

Is the guy with the womanly tits still on the show?

by Anonymousreply 2July 8, 2020 3:02 PM

It wasn't a great show, but it was entertaining enough. Binging season 2 should be a pleasant weekend.

by Anonymousreply 3July 8, 2020 3:05 PM

Looks good.

by Anonymousreply 4July 8, 2020 7:25 PM

This review makes it sound like season two is a winner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 28, 2020 6:46 PM

But will they still have Robert Sheehan in his lace leather pants?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 28, 2020 7:03 PM

R6 They say he launches the Hippie movement earlier than should be and uses unwritten pop song lyrics to inspire the masses - “Don’t go chasing waterfalls,,,” those Hippies got naked a lot so here’s hoping.

by Anonymousreply 7July 28, 2020 7:11 PM

Love that Diego totally landed like a superhero.

by Anonymousreply 8July 31, 2020 5:55 PM

No nudity again. When are we finally gonna get to see that hunk David Castaneda naked?

by Anonymousreply 9July 31, 2020 5:59 PM

Is it worth watching? I am not usually into shows about people with superpowers, but would make an exception if it’s entertaining enough.

by Anonymousreply 10July 31, 2020 6:15 PM

Kate Walsh is a much more interesting actress than I have ever given her credit before.

by Anonymousreply 11July 31, 2020 7:07 PM

So was Vanya always a lesbian in the comics or did they do that for Ellen?

by Anonymousreply 12July 31, 2020 7:42 PM

I'm not sure Ellen Page can play anything but a lesbian anymore.

by Anonymousreply 13July 31, 2020 8:01 PM

[quote]So was Vanya always a lesbian in the comics or did they do that for Ellen?

It's a show element only.

[quote]This review makes it sound like season two is a winner.

Season two was excellent. I can't compare it to season one because they are both strong for what they are. It's still an over-the-top show, but some episodes feel more grounded than season one.

by Anonymousreply 14August 1, 2020 4:09 AM

Overall I feel this show is more gay and female friendly than most superhero stuff?

by Anonymousreply 15August 1, 2020 4:13 AM

Are Klaus and Diego finally getting it on?

by Anonymousreply 16August 1, 2020 4:17 AM

[Quote]So was Vanya always a lesbian in the comics or did they do that for Ellen?

In the comics they were all white and straight. Something Gerard Way (creator) has talked about regretting. The TV show is quite different.

by Anonymousreply 17August 1, 2020 4:31 AM

R17 Wow, that’s quite a change from the source material then? I can’t imagine what Klaus’ personality would be if he wasn’t gay. And was the idea that they were all from the US then if they were all white? If they came from all over the world there would have to have been some diversity.

by Anonymousreply 18August 1, 2020 4:40 AM

So the whole series began with that first birth in the pool in Russia, but I didn’t necessarily connect it to being one of the seven, just as an example of what was going on all over the world. But with this season I’m wondering if it was Vanya?

by Anonymousreply 19August 1, 2020 4:42 AM

[quote] I can’t imagine what Klaus’ personality would be if he wasn’t gay.

We would have missed out on the line (of Klaus psyching himself up) : "You can do this! You fought in Vietnam, you survived a family of seven and you once wore a sarong to a fraternity party and got a shitload of numbers!"

by Anonymousreply 20August 1, 2020 5:35 AM

I'm glad they made the changes they did. Klaus would have been boring as a character, but also the lack of diversity would have made the time travel stories less interesting. The Vietnam storyline being a gay love story made it actually interesting, as did Allison being black and having to go back to the pre-civil rights south.

by Anonymousreply 21August 1, 2020 4:35 PM

I thought the first half of season one was weak, but the second half redeemed it.

Will start season two later today.

by Anonymousreply 22August 1, 2020 5:25 PM

Just 4 episodes in. The lesbians get a steamy kissing scene while the gays get nothing... of course. Except when Klaus was called a queer and sissy. Once again the lesbians get a loving sweet storyline with no homophobia while the gays get queer and sissy thrown around. Fuck this shit. I have had it with this shitty show. It's offensive and borderline homophobic. Doubt I'll watch the rest of the season.

by Anonymousreply 23August 1, 2020 7:56 PM

The only way they can save the gay male audience is by having David Castañeda and Tom Hopper engage in a hardcore bareback flipfuck scene.

by Anonymousreply 24August 1, 2020 11:48 PM

The second season is quite entertaining and Walsh as the mustache twirling villain is entertaining to watch.

As other posters pointed out the changes for the TV show made it better.

A great adventure series.

by Anonymousreply 25August 2, 2020 1:05 PM

r23, did you not see season 1? Klaus got a proper romance.

Season 2 is much better than Season 1. Although I do miss Hazel and Chacha- the Swedes are a pale (see what I did there?) replacement.

by Anonymousreply 26August 2, 2020 8:01 PM

Five must try to bring together this crazy bunch of misfits to stop a apocalypse that turns out to be caused by Vanya. They really did shamelessly copy the same play by play from season 1.

But I do agree this season still managed to be more entertaining than season 1 even in spite of that. They clearly looked at season 1 and tried to fix what wasn't working.

by Anonymousreply 27August 2, 2020 8:39 PM

Also I share Sepinwall's feelings abour screenwriters relying on the Scorpion and the Frog tale, but at least here they had Klaus mangle it rather than play it straight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 2, 2020 8:47 PM

The actor who plays Five is quite astonishing, they really threw a lot at him to play this season again and he handled it beautifully. It’s as if he really is a 50 plus year old man in a teen body with all the experience of and actor that age. I hope the cast is having as much fun behind the scenes as I imagine and they are close.

by Anonymousreply 29August 2, 2020 9:05 PM

I agree Aiden does a good job here r29. I was really disappointed in the actor they got to play 5 at his real age though.

by Anonymousreply 30August 2, 2020 9:16 PM

Tom Hopper's real accent slipped out a lot this season. I don't remember him struggling with the American accent this much in season 1, but maybe I just forgot about it.

by Anonymousreply 31August 2, 2020 9:21 PM

[quote]Tom Hopper's real accent slipped out a lot this season. I don't remember him struggling with the American accent this much in season 1, but maybe I just forgot about it.

Yes, it was ropey when he hit certain letters like "o".

[quote]The actor who plays Five is quite astonishing, they really threw a lot at him to play this season again and he handled it beautifully. It’s as if he really is a 50 plus year old man in a teen body with all the experience of and actor that age.

Justin Min who plays Ben posted a set video where they celebrated Aidan's 16th birthday. I still want to see his birth certificate because I can't believe he's so capable at this age. And he was just as good during season one and he was only 14. He's really great.

by Anonymousreply 32August 2, 2020 9:25 PM

I always assumed that was meant to be her r19.

I was confused this season when Reginald reveals his alien form.

In the flashback last season when he showed him leaving his home planet he looked like he normally does, not like some lizard thing.

by Anonymousreply 33August 3, 2020 1:28 AM

[quote]In the flashback last season when he showed him leaving his home planet he looked like he normally does, not like some lizard thing.

Same for his wife or whoever the woman was that he said goodbye to. Why have a human form on your own planet?

by Anonymousreply 34August 3, 2020 2:08 AM

I am curious did the comic not stop with Vanya destroying the moon? I think I quit reading it after that.

by Anonymousreply 35August 3, 2020 2:54 AM

That was volume 1 r35.

There is Volume 2: Dallas, Volume 3: Hotel Oblivion

The next one that is supposed to come out at some point is going to be Volume 4: Sparrow Academy.

It's still going.

by Anonymousreply 36August 3, 2020 3:17 AM

[Quote]did you not see season 1? Klaus got a proper romance.

Season 1 Klaus has more of an arc period. I guess the writers wanted the other siblings to get their due but Klaus basically spent the season being comic relief. Definitely not as meaty of a storyline as Season 1.

by Anonymousreply 37August 3, 2020 3:34 AM

Fascinating, fun, and quite a romp!

by Anonymousreply 38August 3, 2020 5:50 AM

r36 thanks! I will have to go check them out. I really enjoyed the boys and went and read all the comics. So far from the original. I keep waiting for them to make an Invincible series.

by Anonymousreply 39August 3, 2020 1:14 PM

[quote]So was Vanya always a lesbian in the comics or did they do that for Ellen?

r12, Vanya is bi, she had a boyfriend in season 1.

Actually, I don't know if anyone else noticed, but they seem to imply that Klaus is bi as well. There's that scene where Ben is possessing Klaus's body and the black girl disciple mentions that she and Klaus had already hooked up.

Totally have to agree with the young actor who plays 5, he's the best part of the show. Honestly, I find the other members to be really stupid and unlikable most of the time, case in point: when all they had to do was get to the alley in 30 minutes and they fucked it up royally.

by Anonymousreply 40August 3, 2020 6:41 PM

Klaus is omnisexual; he'd fuck a houseplant.

by Anonymousreply 41August 3, 2020 7:31 PM

[quote]I find the other members to be really stupid and unlikable most of the time, case in point: when all they had to do was get to the alley in 30 minutes and they fucked it up royally.

Well the whole point of the show is that they are a dysfunctional family of fucked up people.

If they were super-rational and competent there wouldn't be much of a plot.

by Anonymousreply 42August 3, 2020 7:54 PM

[quote]I find the other members to be really stupid

The biggest character change this season, to me, is that Diego was really dim-witted at times. The first season he's introduced as a very capable person only a proficient fighter, but as a detective. This season he devolved like with the idiot phone call scene to Olga Foroga.

by Anonymousreply 43August 3, 2020 8:34 PM

Diego definitely had similar moments in Season 1, the scene that sticks out in my memory where he smashes through a window to get into a building and Five makes fun of him because the door is unlocked.

I do agree that him and ( and Luthor as well) were purposefully solidified as pretty bone-headed this season.

by Anonymousreply 44August 3, 2020 8:49 PM

Is Mary J Blidge in season 2?

by Anonymousreply 45August 3, 2020 8:58 PM

No, r45, that's why I said I missed Chacha. I just noticed that #5 doesn't have a proper name.

by Anonymousreply 46August 3, 2020 9:18 PM

R45 No, she died at the end of season one and Hazel only makes a brief cameo at the start of the series.

by Anonymousreply 47August 3, 2020 9:19 PM

The idea is that 5 disappeared into future before "Mom" gave them proper names r46, of course there are plotholes associated with that with 5 already knowing their names if you pay attention.

by Anonymousreply 48August 3, 2020 9:22 PM

[quote] of course there are plotholes associated with that with 5 already knowing their names if you pay attention.

When Five returned he told Vanya he read her tell-all book so that's why he knew their names.

by Anonymousreply 49August 3, 2020 9:27 PM

I liked Season 2 a lot. I did even mind the OF COURSE THEY DID plot of making Vanya a lesbian. The race angle with Allison was a powerful addition. And yes, while Diego is hot, he was sort of more doofy this season. Also, I will not miss that stupid wig next season. (hopefully)

by Anonymousreply 50August 3, 2020 9:34 PM

Diego was very dumbed-down this season, acting like he has never had a girlfriend before even though we watched him cry over his lost love in the last season.

by Anonymousreply 51August 3, 2020 10:05 PM

I definitely enjoyed Season 2 more than Season 1. Although the time travel rules get extra sloppy towards the end.

by Anonymousreply 52August 3, 2020 10:05 PM

Also Diego’s body is so perfect. He’s fit but he has avg guy features like love handles. Fuck yes; put it in my mouth.

by Anonymousreply 53August 3, 2020 10:23 PM

[quote]Well the whole point of the show is that they are a dysfunctional family of fucked up people. If they were super-rational and competent there wouldn't be much of a plot.

r42, I get what you're saying but there is a difference between dysfunctional and willfully stupid. I mean there is literally no effort on their part to preserve the timeline, e.g. both Vanya and Allison thinking they can bring their partners from the past to the future, not to mention Diego's insistence on changing a major milestone in history. And those are just a few examples. I mean, even a layman of the street could see the danger in some of the stuff they are proposing, and they actually have some experience with the cost and dangers of messing with time through their relationship with 5. I have to view the show more as a comedy in order to rationalize their more idiotic behaviour.

by Anonymousreply 54August 3, 2020 11:26 PM

I liked this season much better than the first. Aidan Gallagher is excellent as Five and has the most difficult part. I hope he hits a growth spurt soon because he's only 5'3 and that may hinder him from getting other parts in the future.

by Anonymousreply 55August 3, 2020 11:46 PM

Any nudity for Tom Hopper?

by Anonymousreply 56August 4, 2020 12:06 AM

Great article about the season wrap up and looking towards season three.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 4, 2020 12:18 AM

This is fun and they are all totally delightful. David being into dancing in real life makes me very happy, his spin during the big song in season one is everything. Aiden’s eyebrows are on fleek baby! What’s up with Tom’s pronunciation of “umbrella,” is it a weird regionalism from where he’s from or what?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 4, 2020 9:35 AM

Got to add this to my watchlist. Watching these serials is really getting laborious--even the ones that I'm REALLY looking forward to. No matter how good they are I get restless by episode 4 and then struggle to get through with the remaining episodes. I think that maybe it's an age thing for me.

by Anonymousreply 59August 4, 2020 12:00 PM

Soooooo much better than season one. And, as noted above, the kid who plays Five is really astonishing. I wish someone more compelling than Ellen Page was playing Vanya, though. She has the charisma of a mop.

Who was that supposed to be at the very end? Was that young Ben?

by Anonymousreply 60August 4, 2020 2:59 PM

That's what I assumed r60. He survived in that timeline.

I don't remember, but why didn't Klaus try to get in contact with his soldier in S1?

by Anonymousreply 61August 4, 2020 3:03 PM

[quote]I don't remember, but why didn't Klaus try to get in contact with his soldier in S1? He did. He asked Diego to tie him up so he wouldn't do drugs as he has to be sober to conjure up ghosts. He briefly saw Dave but the some time mumbo jumbo with 5 happened.

by Anonymousreply 62August 4, 2020 3:22 PM

Yes at the end you saw Ben with a new group of siblings.

Apparently meeting the 6 of them made Reginald decide he wanted to adopt a different group of kids. Remember he didn't meet Ben.

by Anonymousreply 63August 4, 2020 3:23 PM

This is where the time travel bent gets confusing -how much changes due to what the siblings did in the past? I don't think those are new kids. I have to rewatch the dinner scene to see how much they told Reginald about how he raised them, but I think Reginald's take away was that he had to train them better and make sure they don't have any emotional attachments.

My theory is that Reginald found Harlan -who is easily malleable due to his autism or whatever he has-and trained him. Likely found out that Harlan got his powers by way of Vanya and probably had Harlan imbue other people with his ability. By the time the 7 were born Reginald had a template for creating and training his own supersoldiers.

by Anonymousreply 64August 4, 2020 3:45 PM

I’m not familiar with the source material, but I would like them to have issues other than time traveling. It seems like they have no grasp on how time travel works and should probably just stop at this point.

by Anonymousreply 65August 4, 2020 3:48 PM

So, are the mysterious births, the Commission (which includes time travel) and Harrgreaves’ alien nature all related or just three independent elements colliding with each other?

by Anonymousreply 66August 4, 2020 3:54 PM

I think the births and aliens are together, the Commission is colliding with them, with the Directrice trying to procure her own superpowered alien baby.

by Anonymousreply 67August 4, 2020 4:12 PM

Directrix?

by Anonymousreply 68August 4, 2020 4:13 PM

R67 So Hargreaves is responsible for the births? But why does he have problems getting only 7, at least in the original storyline? If he was behind it, then he should have been able to control access to all of them?

by Anonymousreply 69August 4, 2020 4:23 PM

Maybe Harlan is the bootstrap paradox responsible for the births happening?

by Anonymousreply 70August 4, 2020 4:24 PM

Favorite line of the season: "Your vagina needs glasses."

by Anonymousreply 71August 4, 2020 4:34 PM

I was always under the assumption that the births were definitely the glowing things that he released from his home planet. They were either some experiment or the essence of his actual alien children. The powers were either either natural to the alien race, some consequence of glowy thing+Human DNA, or some Superman-type effect of being in a different environment.

I assumed the aliens were just long lived, but honestly did not control time, and that domain was purely the purview of the commission.

But I’ll keep an open mind :)

by Anonymousreply 72August 4, 2020 5:08 PM

r69, he had to buy his original 7 from the parents, and didn't force them to give them up. Maybe the other parents resisted. I don't think that he was responsible for the births, but someone from his home planet was, and maybe he's trying to do damage control.

by Anonymousreply 73August 4, 2020 5:17 PM

Liked season one, loved season two. Aiden Gallagher is fantastic as Five. That skinny little kid has the talent and charisma to carry the entire series. Really hope he gets projects suited to him in the future and can make the transition to the big time (even though he is so small). He has a great face for the screen. I also loved the Alison story line this season. Also glad to see that Ben is still alive in the new timeline as I enjoy him as well.

I don't really care who is an alien, where the babies came from, or where the Commission came from. I just accept them at face value and enjoy the ride.

by Anonymousreply 74August 4, 2020 5:34 PM

I was born in 1959 so I don't really remember, but was racism actually that nasty in 1960? Such malice and hate just because a Black person entered a restaurant, it almost made my physically ill. My brother was born in '52 and remembers white/black drinking fountains. The mind, it boggles.

by Anonymousreply 75August 7, 2020 3:57 AM

Yes, R75.

by Anonymousreply 76August 7, 2020 3:58 AM

Only thing missing from this season was some gay sex.

by Anonymousreply 77August 7, 2020 3:59 AM

Only thing missing from this season was a full frontal scene from Diego.

by Anonymousreply 78August 7, 2020 4:59 AM

Casteneda looks like a Neanderthal with that hair and beard.

by Anonymousreply 79August 7, 2020 6:16 AM

Yeah, he had a little Geico Caveman thing going on this season. Still hot, though. He and Ben need to have a hot, naked on-camera affair.

by Anonymousreply 80August 7, 2020 9:33 AM

I'm enjoying it so far and at's a lot better than 1. But Ellen Paige's hairline is ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 81August 10, 2020 12:38 PM

I rewatched season one and the watched all of season two last week. Really enjoyed all of it. It's quirky, campy, intelligent and different.

Aiden Gallagher is phenomenal. R74 is spot on.

by Anonymousreply 82August 10, 2020 12:48 PM

It's crazy to think that just a year before this started Aiden Gallagher was doing a Nickelodeon kids show.

by Anonymousreply 83August 10, 2020 2:22 PM

I binge-watched this and was surprised at how enjoyable it was as someone who isn’t really into superpowers/fantasy-type shows. Well-written and surprisingly suspenseful. Really don’t like the thing between Luther and Allison, though, so I’m glad season two didn’t push that as much. Just because two people aren’t blood-related doesn’t mean it’s not weird if you grew up together from birth. Also, looks like Ellen Page brought her own wardrobe and wore it both seasons, even when she’s in the 60s. Not sure they had skinny jeans with saggy butts back then, but okay, sure...and don’t get me started on Ellen Page’s permanent middle part—can she not ever look any different from real life?

by Anonymousreply 84August 10, 2020 2:25 PM

Surprised to see that this is still number 1 in the US

by Anonymousreply 85August 10, 2020 11:19 PM

[quote]and don’t get me started on Ellen Page’s permanent middle part

Oh, do get started on Ellen Page's permanent middle part r84.

by Anonymousreply 86August 10, 2020 11:22 PM

Don't know why she needs to emphasize her fivehead so much.

by Anonymousreply 87August 10, 2020 11:25 PM

[quote]Also, looks like Ellen Page brought her own wardrobe and wore it both seasons,

I've watched a few of the cast interviews for S2 and she looks like a teeny lumberjack.

by Anonymousreply 88August 10, 2020 11:39 PM

I noticed that as well r85. This is a popular show for Netflix. It immediately shot to number 1 when it was released and has maintained that status since.

by Anonymousreply 89August 10, 2020 11:42 PM

I binged the whole second season in a couple of days, now I feel the need to watch season one again. I had forgotten how great this show is. Aiden Gallagher really was incredible this season. I think Ellen Paige’s photo is in the dictionary next to the entry for “lesbian”.

by Anonymousreply 90August 10, 2020 11:49 PM

If you rewatch Season 1 try not to be repeatedly irritated by Page's complete inability to fake fingering or tremelo when playing the violin. She doesn't even try., It's very distracting once you notice it.

by Anonymousreply 91August 11, 2020 12:24 AM

I am not a learned critic, and superheroes and comic books have never been my thing.

I was kind of forced into watching Season 1 last year, and was bored out of my mind, quitting halfway through. I just watched Season 1 again, and did enjoy the second half.

But Season 2 was captivating. I think it was the Allison/civil rights/JFK story that kind of brought the whole time travel thing into a fun "what if" state in my head while I was watching. Other than Page and the farm lesbian family, and the professor guy, I couldn't get enough of the characters--all written in a very entertaining way. Wasted a whole weekend on Season 2, and it was well worth it.

by Anonymousreply 92August 11, 2020 3:53 AM

Aidan Gallagher is so hot. He looks like the football player Dybala.

by Anonymousreply 93August 11, 2020 8:23 AM

R93 He's sixteen....

by Anonymousreply 94August 11, 2020 8:27 AM

I think this scene might be the most I've laughed at something in quite a while.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95August 11, 2020 1:59 PM

Just a reminder that David is likely a hot piggy bottom who likes mansmells and having that pierced tit played with, while you plow his hungry hole. Amen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96August 13, 2020 6:02 PM

That angle, r96. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 97August 13, 2020 6:53 PM

I saw it through to the last episode. It’s pretty good. I highly recommend.

by Anonymousreply 98August 16, 2020 4:34 AM

For R75, a lady who helped desegregate a lunch counter in 1963 died in 2015, and there was a story printed about her time as a civil rights activist.

“On May 28, 1963, Anne Moody was among the students from historically black Tougaloo College who staged a sit-in at a segregated Woolworth’s lunch counter in downtown Jackson, Miss. A white mob attacked the integrated group of peaceful students, dousing them with ketchup, mustard and sugar and beating one of the men.

“The Rev. Ed King, a white Methodist minister who was the Tougaloo chaplain in 1963, went to Woolworth’s as an observer. During a 2009 AP interview, King recalled he reported to Medgar Evers, the Mississippi NAACP leader, what was happening.

“I had to call him and tell him that of the first sit-inners, a mob has formed, Memphis Norman was unconscious on the floor, he had been kicked … had blood in his nose, I think even ears. And he did have a concussion from it,” King said. “And the first two women had been dragged by the hair.”

Medgar Evers was assassinated two weeks later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99August 16, 2020 4:44 AM

The actor who plays papa Hargreeves is super handsome. He is younger than his character.

by Anonymousreply 100August 16, 2020 5:00 AM

The only weak link is Ellen Page.

by Anonymousreply 101August 16, 2020 5:04 AM

Ellen Page looks older than the part. Aren’t they all supposed to be in their early thirties? They’re all the same age. Ellen Page looks like their older sister. Her hairline is really receded for some reason and it really ages her.

In real life, Tom Hopper is 35 and she’s 33. I never would have guessed that.

by Anonymousreply 102August 16, 2020 5:27 AM

Amy Sedaris wears more convincing body suits than Tom Hopper. That lumpy padded suit is distracting.

by Anonymousreply 103August 16, 2020 5:31 AM

Terrific season. They did a great job with the setting. I agree with the praise for Aiden Gallagher—he’s definitely the breakout star for me. I loved when he was called Tiger Beat. Kate Walsh was also fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 104August 16, 2020 12:20 PM

Aiden was just phenomenal. It's hard to believe he is so young.

Was Ellen Page purposely styled as she was or did she just refuse hair and makeup and let let it go? There is no way she would not have been harassed for how she looked during that time, even being mostly secluded on a farm.

by Anonymousreply 105August 16, 2020 1:12 PM

R105 Ellen basically made a pact to herself when she came out that she'd never wear the makeup or the dresses that she had to when she was doing movies like X-Men ever again. You can see how far in her career she's gotten because of that.

by Anonymousreply 106August 16, 2020 1:19 PM

r101 In 3 I'd like less of Vanya in general. I know Paige is probably getting paid most and they have to justify it. But the lesbian romance on the farm was the least interesting thing any of the Hargreeves had going on yet it got the most focus.

by Anonymousreply 107August 16, 2020 1:35 PM

I don't know why they haven't figured out that Vanya should just go back on the meds that she was always fed previously to keep her from killing everyone.

by Anonymousreply 108August 16, 2020 3:06 PM

Agree, R108. How many times will they allow Vanya to almost cause Armageddon when she could just take a tablet to prevent it? Dumb af

by Anonymousreply 109August 16, 2020 4:51 PM

You’ve got to admit that Vanya is a more destructive lesbian than I am.

by Anonymousreply 110August 16, 2020 4:53 PM

In her defense R108/R109, Vanya was separated from them and amnesiac for most of season 2 and also in the 1960s so they didn't exactly have access to anything to prevent it from happening.

by Anonymousreply 111August 16, 2020 4:55 PM

If you had superpowers would you take a pill that took away your superpowers? Good luck getting someone decide to take that.

by Anonymousreply 112August 16, 2020 5:00 PM

I would if I was an emotional wreck who couldn't control my powers that are strong enough to wipe out every living creature, including me.

by Anonymousreply 113August 16, 2020 5:10 PM

At least, do what Vanya did with her drippy bf and go out in the middle of nowhere and practice until you got a grip on it.

Vanya is basically using her powers every time she has a bad dream or somebody looks at her sideways. There is no place she could ever go that would be remote enough that nobody and nothing could ever piss her off. She needs therapy, instead of deciding she’s entitled to take her daddy angst out on the whole world any time she feels like it.

by Anonymousreply 114August 16, 2020 6:40 PM

R112 Funny, that’s exactly what Kanye says to Kim every time he is manic.

by Anonymousreply 115August 16, 2020 6:50 PM

I actually prefer season one to season two. They're almost the exact same story, so season one feels fresh and interesting while season two feels boring. I actually think they eliminated the things that made season one work. I really felt the lack of Hazel and Cha-Cha's presence, as well as the lack of that "dysfunctional family" vibe from the first season that was there because that was their first time reuniting since they were kids.

The 1960's thing didn't even help make it more interesting for me because of all the media that has come out recently that's been set in the 40's, 50's, and 60's. I just felt bored. I binged the first season, but I watched the second one over a long period of time because I wasn't compelled to binge it. I hope season three does better.

by Anonymousreply 116August 16, 2020 7:30 PM

I agree, R116.

by Anonymousreply 117August 16, 2020 7:40 PM

What would have made Vanya's storyline more interesting if they kind of did the Shakespeare route- she would disguise herself as a boy, and then the shenanigans.

by Anonymousreply 118August 16, 2020 7:58 PM

I liked season two in spite of the problems. I think part of the problem with the Vanya character is that Ellen Page does not play her as a lovable person, she plays her as a blank. She spends all her time giving dull, blank stares, and this is after she goes off the drugs. The one good thing about her this season is her affair with Harlan’s mom, Sissy, humanizes her. It’s not like last season, when she was “in love” with totally unlikable, bullying, scary psychopath Leonard and then fighting to keep him after she knew he’d done horrible things, was stalking the entire family for years and was misrepresenting himself as a nice guy. She was happy to throw her sister overboard for a random creep. And she made me think in a few years she’d be married to Leonard and defend him continually to her family while sporting two black eyes, saying it was her own fault because she deserved it. Then Leonard would get caught fucking the maid.

She was extremely brainwashed by him and in a very short time had lost touch with reality. It made me feel like she had always been extremely unstable.

I liked the romance between Allison and Ray, who humanized her. Last season she was all about “I have a child, and you don’t, so I’m better than all of you, because none of you can possibly understand love or what love means, because you don’t have children.” Allison as a frau was not attractive. And throwing Claire in everybody’s face every time she wanted to run out on her family, who were trying to save the entire planet Claire lived on so she could have a future, was just selfish and irresponsible. Having a child didn’t change that.

Her one idea seemed to be going to her ex’s house, where Claire lives, and that was the end of the plan. Why did she think that would work? He wouldn’t open the door, and she would have left the others to fend for themselves for nothing.

Maybe it’s just that men are writing this series and they don’t know how to write women. But last year, Allison “the sweet one” struck me as very unlikable, entitled and narcissistic. This year she acted more like a human being with feelings besides “I’m better than all of you.” I got the impression she’d strung Luther along because it flattered her ego, but didn’t really care that much about him. And he was grasping at straws, so he didn’t see it.

by Anonymousreply 119August 16, 2020 8:04 PM

As an actress, Five's mannequin from season one had a far wider range than Ellen Page.

by Anonymousreply 120August 16, 2020 8:08 PM

R114 I believe that was the point of Ben's sacrifice. She finally accepted herself and has control over her powers. I don't expect her to be a "problem" in Season 3.

by Anonymousreply 121August 16, 2020 8:21 PM

I'm surmising that it'll be Sparrow Academy vs Umbrella Academy in S3.

by Anonymousreply 122August 16, 2020 9:30 PM

It's a good possibility they'll loosely adapt volume 3 of the comic, which introduced the Sparrows. But who knows, maybe they'll skip straight to volume 4.

by Anonymousreply 123August 16, 2020 9:38 PM

I think Ellen playing Vanya makes sense. She's traumatized. In fact, my problem with the show is that they don't play with that enough. These kids are supposed to be severely fucked up from how they were raised, but none of that is ever seen. In the first season we saw that a bit. Diego's inability to love and have a life of his own, Luther and Allison's incest romance, Klaus' drug addiction, and Vanya's disassociation from life. But it quickly goes away as the show goes on. Season two seems to have abandoned that completely.

I know that disinterest and turning in a cardboard performance is Ellen's MO, but it works for this character. They all went through trauma, but Vanya seems to be the only character who actually seems like she was affected by it, which shows through Ellen's out-of-it performance.

by Anonymousreply 124August 16, 2020 9:43 PM

They’re all affected by it. Diego especially, whose one loving relationship is between him and Robot Mom, who is always sweet and perfect and never like a real person at all. She’s like a fancy blow up doll, but instead of fucking her, he calls her mom. In his relationship with his ex-gf, she hints that he’s impossible to deal with, which you can see in his relationship with his family. He’s mad at the world as well as his family. And he thinks he’s Batman, but his only job seems to be sweeping the floor and living in some crappy place. He’s barely one step above homelessness. And he washed out as a cop, which sounds like a story in itself. He’s fit and fairly smart, and cops get away with murder, so he must have done something pretty bad. He seems incapable of relating to other people.

by Anonymousreply 125August 16, 2020 10:12 PM

I think Ellen page showed more emotion in season two of this show than any other movie I've seen her in, actually. But she's definitely typecast and has limited range, it seems like. My bigger problem with her is how she dresses the same in the show (whether set in the 1960s or 2019) and in real life. She really just threw on her flannel button-up and skinny jeans and walked onto set with her middle part. Really, Umbrella academy? CHANGE HER DAMN MIDDLE PART!

by Anonymousreply 126August 17, 2020 6:29 AM

Is Diego gay irl?

by Anonymousreply 127August 17, 2020 11:02 AM

R127 It's hard to tell because David Castañeda (the guy who plays him) is suprisingly private when it comes to his personal life, which is probably the smart thing to be. There are some clues however that make me think there's a possibility he could be gay or bi. He's really into houseplants. He tends to avoid talking love life and when he does he avoids specifics. But frankly it's anybody's guess. Here he is lip syncing to a Rihanna song. If he isn't gay then at least he's comfortable enough in his sexuality to sing along to a Rihanna song about seducing a man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128August 17, 2020 12:20 PM

I read somewhere that he's dating the Lila actress (Rumor has it...). He always read gay to me though. I mean, that rumor could have been planted to promote both of them since he has a meatier role in season 2 and for her it might be her break-through role...

by Anonymousreply 129August 17, 2020 1:21 PM

Don’t forget his sexy nipple ring.

by Anonymousreply 130August 17, 2020 1:33 PM

I heard a rumor that I was in his ass all summer of the Atlantic coast

by Anonymousreply 131August 17, 2020 8:23 PM

R119 Maybe try to get that they're all messed up, arguably narcissistic or at least survivors, because their parenting was narcissistic. Allison was unlikable in ways, on purpose. Season 2 for characters was their attempt to get over themselves, through getting over their dad. Then it ends with their goddamn dad again.

by Anonymousreply 132August 18, 2020 1:15 AM

Let's just discuss Aidan; we can all agree he is fantastic in this.

by Anonymousreply 133August 18, 2020 3:36 AM

I just finished season two. I am so sorry Halloween is cancelled this year because of all the homemade Handler costumes that will never see the light of day. Phenomenal job by Kate Walsh and her costumers - I feel like I may just go back and watch her scenes again. One of the best camp villain performances of all time.

My favorite line of the season: “Wouldn’t it be weird if Five grew up hot?”

by Anonymousreply 134August 19, 2020 2:48 AM

R134, he already is hot.

by Anonymousreply 135August 19, 2020 2:49 AM

Hopefully he looks better than his dad when he grows up

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136August 19, 2020 2:58 AM

His Dad isn't bad at all. Aidan is a cute kid. Those eyes and dimples aren't going anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 137August 19, 2020 3:06 AM

He gets that Joker smile from his mom, I see.

by Anonymousreply 138August 19, 2020 3:06 AM

I did not like Heath Ledger in his role as "Joker".

by Anonymousreply 139August 19, 2020 3:12 AM

R124 I can totally see Walsh as Cruella De Ville if they ever revisit that property in live action again.

by Anonymousreply 140August 19, 2020 3:16 AM

There is a live action Cruella moving coming out next year r140. Emma Stone already nabbed that role.

by Anonymousreply 141August 19, 2020 3:21 AM

R141 That's a prequel movie though.

by Anonymousreply 142August 19, 2020 3:24 AM

R136, I'm not sure I've ever seen someone whose mouth extends further left and right than their eyes.

by Anonymousreply 143August 19, 2020 3:52 AM

Did we do this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144August 19, 2020 3:53 AM

Yes r144. You must not have been around when the first season came out.

by Anonymousreply 145August 19, 2020 3:55 AM

OK, thanks. No, I wasn't : - )

by Anonymousreply 146August 19, 2020 4:02 AM

Aidan would look amazing with his legs up in the air.

by Anonymousreply 147August 19, 2020 10:41 AM

Eeewwww.

by Anonymousreply 148August 19, 2020 10:45 AM

FF 147

by Anonymousreply 149August 19, 2020 4:07 PM

I want to see Aidan in a movie.

by Anonymousreply 150August 19, 2020 11:52 PM

I liked S2 more, particularly the vibe among all the kids. I’m the millionth one to say this but Aiden Gallagher’s acting is leaps and bounds above that if anyone else in the cast. He’s incredibly talented.

by Anonymousreply 151August 20, 2020 12:24 AM

And don’t forget adorable.

by Anonymousreply 152August 20, 2020 12:25 AM

r83 Never happened.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153August 20, 2020 12:29 AM

R151, I, for one, don't mind at all having it repeated that Aidan is carrying this series. It's just nice to have something that pretty much everyone here agrees on! When does that ever happen, especially about something as subjective as talent.

by Anonymousreply 154August 20, 2020 1:37 AM

[quote]I want to see Aidan in a movie.

As do I. I'm surprised he didn't do another project in between seasons of TUA. I guess he wants some semblance of a childhood when he's not doing his UN outreach and being a general nuisance to other actors online.

by Anonymousreply 155August 20, 2020 2:05 AM

Diego was the hot one- I love a hairy, beefy guy, (and would’ve loved for him to been half-dressed for most of the season like Klaus was) but I thought Ben was adorable. I’d definitely slap that booty like Klaus here.

This scene from the first episode was one of my favorites from season 2. Klaus flopping around on the road was hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156August 20, 2020 2:06 AM

It seems the world agrees with us about Aidan, his Youtube channel just exploded and he made a video about how he is blown away by all of it. That hair is giving me future Count Dracula roles vibes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157August 20, 2020 2:12 AM

The main Swede was kind of weird looking, but he really did it for me. Meow.

He’s the one in the middle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158August 20, 2020 2:26 AM

r158 Did he remind anyone else of Julian Assange?

by Anonymousreply 159August 20, 2020 2:30 AM

The season was ok. I like branching storylines but I found Allison, Luther, Diego and especially Vanya's storylines boring. I actually FF most of her scenes. I liked the different twists though and can't wait for the next season.

Also did anyone else find it strange that with such a big emphasis with racism during Allison's storyline, Diego and his gf didn't experience any of that?

by Anonymousreply 160August 20, 2020 5:18 AM

Because they only focused on racism against blacks R160

by Anonymousreply 161August 20, 2020 5:20 AM

Did Ellen Page force the writers to give her a lesbian storyline because acting straight in season 1 made her uncomfortable?

by Anonymousreply 162August 20, 2020 7:39 AM

BTW, Marin Ireland always has the worst bags under her eyes, it's very distracting.

by Anonymousreply 163August 20, 2020 9:43 AM

Unharm my wiener

by Anonymousreply 164August 20, 2020 1:35 PM

Is Page vegan? When did she start losing her hair? She ought to cut it shorter, like Kristen Stewart did. She could wear her bangs brushed forward.

I'm so glad the actor playing Ben gets to come back next season. That boy is fine!

Also hope that Luther finally moves on from Allison. It makes him look pathetic and I'm tired of pitying him. Man up, Gorilla Guy! She just isn't into you.

Klaus needs a boyfriend in s3 to help ease his Dave-related heartbreak.

Agree with everyone else, kid playing 5 is phenomenal.

by Anonymousreply 165August 20, 2020 1:44 PM

I was fearful Ben was gone when he faded. Happy to see that adorable Justin Min back next year. I want him to make out with Diego too.

by Anonymousreply 166August 20, 2020 1:56 PM

Here’s a preview of Vanya’s hairstyle for next season

And by season 5, she’ll just have a rat tail

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167August 20, 2020 2:04 PM

r156, the actors said that filming that scene was unbearable due to the heat- the asphalt was really hot, so the flopping around was like doing it on a griddle. Looks like Ben is head of the Sparrow Academy for next season.

by Anonymousreply 168August 20, 2020 2:14 PM

Do you think Harlan is a member/founder/teacher of the Sparrow Academy? He did have a liking for those wooden birds...

by Anonymousreply 169August 20, 2020 2:58 PM

Ummmm.... DUH?

by Anonymousreply 170August 20, 2020 3:12 PM

[quote]Do you think Harlan is a member/founder/teacher of the Sparrow Academy? He did have a liking for those wooden birds...

I think he was the founding member. Reginald was already seeking curiosities so I think the havoc Harlan wrought caught Reginald's attention. Maybe he figured out how Vanya transferred some of her abilities to Harlan and he recruited others so Harlan could transfer his abilities.

Also, with the info his kids provided him about how they were raised, I think he still adopted the same set of kids but learned how to train them better. They probably didn't have the robot mother. We saw Pogo run away if I remember correctly, so I take it he wasn't part of their upbringing so without those two nurturing forces, we get a less emotional and more soldier like Academy.

by Anonymousreply 171August 20, 2020 4:01 PM

Colm Feore on Aidan Gallagher.

We were very, very fortunate to work with such great kids. Then, there is Aidan Gallagher, who to my mind, is extraordinary. By the end of the show, I honestly believed he was 58. Because he is such a fine actor and interacts so well with the likes of Kate Walsh and all of his siblings, without giving ground! I mean, he’s 15 years old. He was 14 when we started. I think he’s a reincarnation of someone else and not a 15-year-old boy from L.A. But his professionalism and maturity really astounded me. He’s got an unfettered elegance that I can only dream of. I was really blessed to be surrounded by such solid, professional actors.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172August 20, 2020 4:42 PM

^those masks are creepy as hell

by Anonymousreply 173August 20, 2020 8:42 PM

I love their domino masks. It's fitting for a superhero.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174August 20, 2020 9:01 PM

Some good stuff here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175August 21, 2020 2:18 AM

The Raincoat Academy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176August 21, 2020 2:26 AM

I made it halfway through before realizing it’s become a story about “Vanya” and her lesbian love interest.

Seriously, I couldn’t take it anymore. I assume it’ll stick around with a new fan base but the show was clearly hijacked by the powerfully-frustrated hipster lesbian. So, I’m out.

by Anonymousreply 177August 21, 2020 2:55 AM

Just fast forward through that story, R177. The rest of it is worth it.

by Anonymousreply 178August 21, 2020 2:57 AM

For real- you can skip all the farmhouse sissy/Vanya stuff

Though the cgi when she lifted all the water out of the pond was fantastic. I loved that part.

by Anonymousreply 179August 21, 2020 12:11 PM

I want to go to The Galoshes Academy r176. I bet it’s lit.

by Anonymousreply 180August 21, 2020 12:12 PM

43 hidden sparrows!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181August 22, 2020 12:39 AM

[quote]you can skip all the farmhouse sissy/Vanya stuff

I haven't read the comics, but it feels like the autistic boy in that storyline will be important later

by Anonymousreply 182August 22, 2020 2:53 PM

r182, it's implied that he's part of the Sparrow academy, see r169, r171.

by Anonymousreply 183August 22, 2020 2:56 PM

This show managed to turn many of the superhero clichés on their heads. I loved it when Luther farted in the elevator.

But the villains can’t shoot for shit, travel time is meaningless, and nobody stays dead

Still, a damn good roller coaster ride.

by Anonymousreply 184August 29, 2020 11:27 AM

Oh, and newspapers always appear with exactly the headline they need at exactly the right moment

by Anonymousreply 185August 29, 2020 11:50 AM

And where are all the computers and cell phones in 2019?

by Anonymousreply 186August 29, 2020 2:44 PM

Aidan looks like a villain with his burgeoning facial hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187September 4, 2020 1:28 AM

Nice to see puberty finally hit him.

by Anonymousreply 188September 4, 2020 1:39 AM

I binged both seasons this weekend and really enjoyed the show. But the Allison storyline makes no sense. In season one she’s married with a daughter but seems to be in love with Luther. Then in Season Two she gets married to Ray - without divorcing the first husband and completely forgetting about Luther and the daughter. Makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 189September 14, 2020 12:38 AM

R189 Pretty sure she was divorced from her husband

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190September 14, 2020 12:42 AM

[quote]Then in Season Two she gets married to Ray - without divorcing the first husband and completely forgetting about Luther and the daughter.

She was stuck in the Sixties so her marriage is moot as it didn't exist in that timeline. Also, the siblings were split across years so she didn't know if she would ever see them again. They writers have eased up on the Allison/Luther romance because too many people are put off by the pseudo-incest of it all. It didn't bother me, frankly. I think Allison and Luther makes sense as a couple.

by Anonymousreply 191September 14, 2020 12:51 AM

When is Aidan going to have nude scenes?

by Anonymousreply 192September 14, 2020 12:54 AM

I was one of the first on this thread to highly praise Aidan for his performance in the series. But I’m a bit taken back by developments of his YouTube channel. He did a Q and A and then ended it early and almost half of it was him taking about his new Patreon account and how his fandom has grown so large and he can not personally connect anymore that he’s set this up this as a way he can interact with his fans and respond to them.

There are different levels to interact and get things from him including old personal clothing items and memorabilia from his shows that he has laying around the house, which I’m sure cost extra but include autographs and personal picture. I guess I imagined him more as the cool guy who on his own would go hang out with teens in children’s hospitals in character and chat and inspire them. Not someone who would monetize and convention himself on his primary fan interactions. I can’t even imagine how hard Mary Kate and Ashley would have worked this platform in their day, but he is certainly amping up to that level.

by Anonymousreply 193September 15, 2020 4:58 PM

He comes off weird on social media. Since he has been a child actor most of his life, I just assume it's because he was molested.

by Anonymousreply 194September 15, 2020 5:01 PM

[quote] MILLIE BOBBY BROWN Eleven $129 (Sunday)

[quote] NOAH SCHNAPP Will Byers $85 (Sunday)

[quote] GATEN MATARAZZO Dustin Henderson $85 (Saturday)

He'd be better just straight out doing conventions rather than grasping for money on Patreon. The Stranger Things kids especially seem to have hit on the fact that teenage fans+rich parents who want a quiet weekend=profit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195September 15, 2020 5:28 PM

Renewed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196November 10, 2020 4:02 PM

Given how Netflix has been canceling so much stuff, that was no sure thing.

by Anonymousreply 197November 10, 2020 4:28 PM

I’m at least glad that they are still supporting good, bloody animation. Castlevania’s last season was meh, but recent release Blood of Zeus was pretty good, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 198November 10, 2020 6:25 PM

10 things Justin H. Min can't live without.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199November 27, 2020 7:49 AM

The Vanya has been struggling with her gender identity story is going to take up half the season isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 200December 1, 2020 7:13 PM

Let's hope not r200. Let Vanya identity as a guy now and move on, no need to make it a thing. I mean there is no reason any of the siblings would give a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 201December 1, 2020 7:16 PM

Recast the part, please. Ellen Page has always been a drudge.

by Anonymousreply 202December 1, 2020 8:39 PM

Agree R202, they need to do something. But then they'd have to face the backlash of transphobia accusations if they do that

by Anonymousreply 203December 1, 2020 8:46 PM

I hope the show kills her off next season. She is the fucking weak link anyway. The lesbian stuff in second season is a complete waste of time. Just focus on the kid and the rest of the siblings.

by Anonymousreply 204December 2, 2020 12:55 PM

Just give us some gay Klaus

by Anonymousreply 205December 2, 2020 2:25 PM

Elliot Page is also a terrible actress R204.

by Anonymousreply 206December 2, 2020 2:30 PM

R206 Yeah, I never believed she was a man all these years

by Anonymousreply 207December 2, 2020 2:32 PM

I'm dreading the third season now. Every other sibling is so much more fun, anyway. Her character was only interesting and engaging when she was with Alyson and with Klaus.

by Anonymousreply 208December 2, 2020 3:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!