Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Thandie Newton's Story About What It's Like Working with Tom Cruise Is Getting Attention!

Thandie Newton worked with Tom Cruise years ago on the second Mission: Impossible film, which was released in 2000.

The Westworld star recently gave an interview with Vulture where she spoke about the experience, and many are talking about the story!

“I was so scared of Tom. He was a very dominant individual. He tries super hard to be a nice person. But the pressure. He takes on a lot. And I think he has this sense that only he can do everything as best as it can be done. There was one time, we were doing this night scene, there were so many extras with pyrotechnics and you name it, and it was a scene with him and me on the balcony. And I don’t think it was a very well-written scene. I get angry with him. We’re frustrated with each other. And we’re looking out over Spain. It wasn’t going well. And John Woo, bless him, wasn’t there. He was downstairs looking at everything on a monitor. And John had made a decision at the beginning of the movie, unbeknownst certainly to me, that he didn’t speak English. Which I think was very helpful to him, but it was extremely unhelpful to the rest of us. So this scene was happening, and Tom was not happy with what I was doing because I had the shittiest lines,” Thandie explained.

She added, “And he gets so frustrated with having to try and explain that he goes, ‘Let me just — let’s just go do it. Let’s just rehearse on-camera.’ So we rehearsed and they recorded it, and then he goes, ‘I’ll be you. You be me.’ So we filmed the entire scene with me being him — because, believe me, I knew the lines by then — and him playing me. And it was the most unhelpful … I can’t think of anything less revealing. It just pushed me further into a place of terror and insecurity. It was a real shame. And bless him. And I really do mean bless him, because he was trying his damnedest.”

Thandie continued, “I remember at the beginning of the night, seeing this slight red mark on his nose, and by the end of the night, I kid you not — this is how his metabolism is so fierce — he had a big whitehead where that red dot was. It would take anyone else 48 hours to manifest a zit. I saw it growing, and it was like the zit was me, just getting bigger and bigger. I remember calling Jonathan Demme. I described the night to him: ‘A nightmare.’ As I was describing it, it was clear that I thought I was the big f*cking problem. And Jonathan was like, ‘Thandie, shame on you for not backing yourself.’ He was really sweet. And then Tom called and I thought, Oh, this is it. The apology. No, he was just like, ‘We’re going to reshoot this next week.’ I’m like, ‘Way brilliant.’ And the next time we shot it, I went in there and I just basically manifested all the — because I realized what he wanted. He just wanted this alpha bitch. And I did as best as I could. It’s not the best way to get the best work out of someone.”

Finally, Thandie said, “He wasn’t horrible. It was just — he was really stressed. I had the most extraordinary time, and you know who got me that role? Nicole Kidman. I’ve never actually outright asked her, but when your husband is like, ‘Who would you mind me pretending to shag for the next six months?’ You know what I mean? It’s kind of nice if you can pick together. Nicole was a huge advocate for me.”

This isn’t the first time Thandie has spoken about her experience working with Tom Cruise and she actually named him her worst on-screen kiss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 9, 2020 6:44 AM

What are we supposed to learn from this story, exactly? So, she had no idea an action film like Mission Impossible film would have shitty stupid scenes before filming it? Huh, okay.

by Anonymousreply 1July 7, 2020 1:56 PM

Kind of a boring story.

I was hoping for something like her catching him sucking dick behind a klieg light.

by Anonymousreply 2July 7, 2020 1:58 PM

Acknowledge your privilege, Thandie!

by Anonymousreply 3July 7, 2020 1:58 PM

[quote]He was a very dominant individual.

But, he's to tiny!

by Anonymousreply 4July 7, 2020 2:00 PM

The zit detail was hilarious.

R1 - R4 are clearly racist.

by Anonymousreply 5July 7, 2020 2:04 PM

[quote] Thandie continued, “I remember at the beginning of the night, seeing this slight red mark on his nose, and by the end of the night, I kid you not — this is how his metabolism is so fierce — he had a big whitehead where that red dot was. It would take anyone else 48 hours to manifest a zit. I saw it growing, and it was like the zit was me, just getting bigger and bigger.

Bwahahaha!

I fucking loved the article, if for nothing more than this story.

He always sounded like a fucking maniac.

by Anonymousreply 6July 7, 2020 2:07 PM

I can manifest a zit in a couple of hours.

It is my own personal superpower.

by Anonymousreply 7July 7, 2020 2:12 PM

R7 admit it, you're a clam.

by Anonymousreply 8July 7, 2020 2:15 PM

If so r8, I am a bad clam.

by Anonymousreply 9July 7, 2020 2:19 PM

Surprise! Tom is a freak!

by Anonymousreply 10July 7, 2020 2:24 PM

She didn’t say if Tom ever tried on her heels.

by Anonymousreply 11July 7, 2020 2:25 PM

That actually wasn’t their first time working together. She was also in Interview With The Vampire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 7, 2020 2:26 PM

She's telling us he's mentally ill and demands his way, left and right.

Which means he's gonna run for president in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 13July 7, 2020 2:26 PM

Tom is a freak, but the only thing I got from this story is that they had a stressful environment shooting that film, she couldn't connect to the inane lines of her role (what did she expect... ) and while Tom tried to help her, she found it unhelpful. If a zit is the most exciting part of a story it's not a very interesting or freaky one imho.

by Anonymousreply 14July 7, 2020 2:26 PM

As the lynchpin of a a major franchise with a billion dollars on the line I can't be too surprised he would be intense about how it should be done. Particularly with a director shirking his director duties.

I wonder how Thandie would have handled working with Otto Preminger or Erich Von Stroheim

by Anonymousreply 15July 7, 2020 2:29 PM

Wtf is with the director refusing to speak English?

by Anonymousreply 16July 7, 2020 2:30 PM

I think this story was a hoot. What’s with these directors and their egos? No English when your main actors are English speakers?

I liked this interview. She’s always been real and it sounded honest. She’s not throwing him under the rug, which is nice because he had to personal request her as his co-star since the studio wanted a white woman.

by Anonymousreply 17July 7, 2020 2:31 PM

According to Wikipedia: "In 2003, Woo directed a television pilot entitled The Robinsons: Lost in Space for The WB Television Network, based on the 1960s television series Lost in Space. The pilot was not purchased, although bootleg copies have been made available by fans."

No way he would've been picked to direct a WB pilot if he spoke no English. Kudos to her for calling him out on that shit...a director should be there to direct.

by Anonymousreply 18July 7, 2020 2:39 PM

Why did Thandie have to give that interview describing her kissing scenes with Tom?! She was so brilliant in MI:II and I'm convinced that's why she was never asked back

by Anonymousreply 19July 7, 2020 2:40 PM

What a non-story. Thandie is so uninteresting that they needed to publish her rambling, meaningless memories of working with Tom Cruise word-for-word? Sad.

by Anonymousreply 20July 7, 2020 2:49 PM

She couldn't deliver the lines of a character in an action movie? It seems like she's a nightmare to work with.

by Anonymousreply 21July 7, 2020 2:56 PM

R4 Napoleon complex.

by Anonymousreply 22July 7, 2020 2:56 PM

"fun" fact - Napoleon was of average height for his time, the short stuff comes from well orchestrated propaganda/gossip

by Anonymousreply 23July 7, 2020 3:27 PM

Reading the Thandie bashers here, like R21 and R22, it's clear that the COS is policing this thread.

by Anonymousreply 24July 7, 2020 5:28 PM

r20 = Tom Cruise

by Anonymousreply 25July 7, 2020 5:53 PM

She’s the best actor in Westworld., at least in the first two seasons. Haven’t bothered with the third season.

by Anonymousreply 26July 7, 2020 6:44 PM

She is very wooden in most roles. Not my fav for an actress

by Anonymousreply 27July 7, 2020 7:09 PM

It's a boring story and the whole thing is the director's fault.

by Anonymousreply 28July 7, 2020 7:22 PM

I'm glad an actress finally had the guts to come out and say how terrible he is. It's always "Tom is so awesome". " He does all his stunts and looks so good". A bunch of ass kissers. Yes, I'm talking to you, Jon Hamm.

by Anonymousreply 29July 8, 2020 2:29 AM

"I don't have anything bad to say about Tom Cruise, but I'm gonna try!"

Shooting a film is very stressful to the stakeholders, and that would be Tom in this story.

by Anonymousreply 30July 8, 2020 2:55 AM

Surprised he didn't give her some Scientology pamphlets

by Anonymousreply 31July 8, 2020 3:00 PM

Thandie not giving two fucks ❤️

Love her in Westworld and Line of Duty!

by Anonymousreply 32July 8, 2020 4:20 PM

[quote]...he didn’t speak English. Which I think was very helpful to him...

Woo didn't want to have to deal directly with Cruise. That is fucking hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 33July 8, 2020 5:16 PM

She was amazing in every year of Westworld especially s2. She made me feel so much for her character. Love her and will watch anything she does. Great actress!

by Anonymousreply 34July 9, 2020 2:11 AM

Thandie Newton really is a wonderful actress.

by Anonymousreply 35July 9, 2020 2:16 AM

I read the story as pretty dark. It sounds like Tom (and not the director) was unhappy with how Thandie was performing the scene and kept "directing" her. And he suggested that they run through the scene playing each other's characters...so he could show her how her part should be done? WTF. I got the feeling that she's being polite here, and that Tom maybe has a bad temper, and perhaps appeared to be on the verge of exploding.

This story wasn't as revealing as Bronson Pinchot's, but I'm getting Jeffrey Tambor vibes.

by Anonymousreply 36July 9, 2020 2:20 AM

R15 the preferred spelling is linchpin.

by Anonymousreply 37July 9, 2020 2:34 AM

[Quote] and that Tom maybe has a bad temper, and perhaps appeared to be on the verge of exploding.

Wouldn't be the first time.

by Anonymousreply 38July 9, 2020 3:31 AM

Thandie; it sounds like Cindy Brady is saying Sandy

by Anonymousreply 39July 9, 2020 3:43 AM

Random piece of info. Her daughter is a Lesbian. Her and her partner live with Thandie.

by Anonymousreply 40July 9, 2020 3:59 AM

This is from the actress that played a naked ghost in that Oprah Shitbomb movie Beloved

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 9, 2020 4:07 AM

The zit story is funny but honestly, whine much Thandie? You should be thanking him for the role, you’re kind of a milquetoast of an actor. And I’m no huge Tom fan although I do think he’s talented. Crazy, yes. Talented, yes.

by Anonymousreply 42July 9, 2020 4:20 AM

He's not talented

by Anonymousreply 43July 9, 2020 4:35 AM

that was very inarticulate and revealed very little.

by Anonymousreply 44July 9, 2020 4:55 AM

Beloved did not bomb! It was underappreciated. It just didn't resonate with white middle America. It's a masterpiece!

by Anonymousreply 45July 9, 2020 5:21 AM

Remember when Oprah said she had depression (for a week!) when Beloved bombed. She actually said she had depression the illness for a week! When ticket sales were slow she had her people buy books of tickets at movie theatres to boost sales. You know, that honest Oprah lady who is always touting be your best, honest, truest version of your self. How deceitful!

by Anonymousreply 46July 9, 2020 5:24 AM

Thandie shells shell shells on the shee shore

by Anonymousreply 47July 9, 2020 5:25 AM

She's great. And, the interview is frank and fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 48July 9, 2020 6:20 AM

I love the wry intensity Thandie Newton brings to her roles, be they dramatic or comedic.

Thandie sizzles as part of the ensemble of Gerard Butler, Tom Hardy, Idris Elba, Mark Strong and Tom Wilkinson in Guy Ritchie's "RocknRolla," a wild hoot of a crime caper. Stay tuned through the end credits for a surprise treat.

by Anonymousreply 49July 9, 2020 6:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!