Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Foolish” by Ashanti is seriously such a good, forgotten song

It just came up on a playlist and I forgot how much I used to love this song! Ashanti had such a massive debut album and her second album did well, and then she sort of faded. I wonder why?

Is it because Beyoncé happened? You know Hollywood feels they can’t have more than one or two huge black female mainstream artists.

The song is so relatable and I love her gentle, thin but pretty vocals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 7, 2020 12:55 PM

Are you Miles Heizer?

by Anonymousreply 1July 6, 2020 11:13 PM

R1 no but he has great taste. This is a great song. Ashanti deserved better than being J Lo’s ghost vocalist

by Anonymousreply 2July 6, 2020 11:15 PM

Ashanti had a better run than most.

by Anonymousreply 3July 6, 2020 11:16 PM

To be fair, Cassie couldn’t sing at all. She was a Diddy creation who spoke her lyrics to the beat (although she did that well).

Me & U is an eternal bop though. It’s a great song. And she’s a beautiful woman. She is half black, half Asian?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 6, 2020 11:18 PM

Neither can J.Lo.

by Anonymousreply 5July 6, 2020 11:19 PM

But J Lo has never not been huge ever since Selena

by Anonymousreply 6July 6, 2020 11:22 PM

That's not exactly true. Most of J.Lo's musical output has not been very successful. But she's truly a multimedia star so she maintains a high profile and gets to do odd thing like a Musical Tribute to Motown (Jennifer Fucking Lopez sings Motown?!)

by Anonymousreply 7July 6, 2020 11:24 PM

J Lo’s first 3 albums were hits. After that she produced a few single hits and that’s it.

by Anonymousreply 8July 6, 2020 11:28 PM

J.Lo's movie career has been more miss than hit, as well.

by Anonymousreply 9July 6, 2020 11:31 PM

Another race bait thread. Sorry but in music there has NEVER been a time when Black Americans are underrepresented. I did a paper in college on this. The closest to being not represented was 1972 when black charting records for the year matched exactly the number in proportion to their population.

However in 2004 blacks had every number one song for the year. This of course goes unlooked.

Nice try racist but go play with kids and come back when you can troll with the big boys

by Anonymousreply 10July 6, 2020 11:47 PM

R10 ummmm so only Black people are supposed to listen to black artists?

by Anonymousreply 11July 6, 2020 11:50 PM

Op a was in high school back then so her fat ass is just reminiscing to this crappy song from that period.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 6, 2020 11:52 PM

I love Ashanti. Great voice, and because unlike most of her cohort ( looking at you, "Queen" Bey) she's an actual songwriter, when she sings she puts across a lyric very nicely.

But she'll never go hungry because she will get royalties from her catalog forever.

by Anonymousreply 13July 6, 2020 11:54 PM

The thin voice kills it. She needs tons of back up singing.

by Anonymousreply 14July 6, 2020 11:55 PM

Foolish was #1 for 10 weeks on the Billboard 100.

by Anonymousreply 15July 6, 2020 11:56 PM

On her debut album she had Foolish as the first song then Unfoolish as the last I believe (or later in the album). Unfoolish was basically a remix to foolish, where she now got the courage to leave the Shit man.

It’s a much better song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 7, 2020 12:06 AM

She’s very very pretty in person. And overall was nice.

by Anonymousreply 17July 7, 2020 12:09 AM

[Quote] But she'll never go hungry because she will get royalties from her catalog forever.

How Sway?! Streaming income is pennies.

by Anonymousreply 18July 7, 2020 12:12 AM

R18 I believe Spotify and Apple Music pays artists 10 cents each time their song is streamed. Idk about other platforms.

by Anonymousreply 19July 7, 2020 12:17 AM

I read an article about Ashanti ages ago and IRRC her career stalled because of issues with her record label. She was signed to Murder Inc. and Irv Gotti was arrested for money laundering for a drug lord or something.

I also think Ciara stole her "place" more than Beyonce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 7, 2020 12:55 AM

Yes, reading some stuff online and many say Irv Gotti is why her career stalled then never recovered.

by Anonymousreply 21July 7, 2020 12:58 AM

Shanti and Irv were fucking as well, so...

by Anonymousreply 22July 7, 2020 12:58 AM

What about Mya?

by Anonymousreply 23July 7, 2020 12:58 AM

Mya falls in line with Christina etc. she was never an R&B princess like Ashanti, Aaliyah or Ciara. She was mainstream pop music from day 1.

by Anonymousreply 24July 7, 2020 1:00 AM

Nah, Mya was on that song from the Halle Berry - Warren Beatty movie nobody saw. It had a rapper.

by Anonymousreply 25July 7, 2020 1:00 AM

Mya became a household name from a song off Rugrats the movie

by Anonymousreply 26July 7, 2020 1:01 AM

Whispercoo

by Anonymousreply 27July 7, 2020 1:02 AM

Janet also was mainstream Top 100 pop music mostly.

Idk how anyone can listen to a song like Escapade and call that R&B

by Anonymousreply 28July 7, 2020 1:03 AM

R27 Plus the bitch could not even move on stage like JJ. Ashanti rightfully is a has been.

by Anonymousreply 29July 7, 2020 1:03 AM

I remember “All For You” being labeled as “R&B” and that was the day I realized it was simply because she is black. That is THE MOST bubblegum pop song ever. Nothing “R&B” about it.

Being black doesn’t mean you’re automatically R&B.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 7, 2020 1:05 AM

Cue "Ashanti scooting her ass along the stage" gif

by Anonymousreply 31July 7, 2020 1:07 AM

R28 and R30 Here we go, the trolls bringing up Janet.

by Anonymousreply 32July 7, 2020 1:26 AM

Remember the controversy about Ashanti getting the Lady of Soul award Years ago?

The year before, Aretha Franklin was awarded it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 7, 2020 2:24 AM

Her debut album was a massive success, and I remember she was nominated for many Grammys and won 1. She then was nominated for 3 for her second album and then never nominated again.

by Anonymousreply 34July 7, 2020 2:32 AM

Justice For Amerie!

by Anonymousreply 35July 7, 2020 2:51 AM

R23 there's rumours about her being one of JayZs mistresses.

R35 I was just listening to her. I really liked 4am Mullholland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 7, 2020 4:21 AM

How much money can she make off her catalogue? Don’t a lot of her songs have multiple songwriter credits because of sampling? “Foolish” has six songwriters on it from it being part of a debarge and a notorious b.i.g. song.

by Anonymousreply 37July 7, 2020 5:15 AM

Ashanti's performance below killed whatever was left of her small career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 7, 2020 5:27 AM

I saw her perform with Ja Rule (I got tickets for free) a few years ago and she was terrible. Poorly lip-synching in a small venue with no production to make up for it. She does have a number of good songs, but I would bet her inability to perform live well impacted her career, especially as other younger fresher acts came up behind her.

by Anonymousreply 39July 7, 2020 5:42 AM

She can’t sing live. Shortly after she exploded that was the talk about her, how terrible her live singing is.

Ultimately people stopped caring.

by Anonymousreply 40July 7, 2020 12:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!