Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever noticed that nearly every single consumer transaction is a scam?

It would be easier to list out all of the things you can buy that are *not* a scam. Virtually every single company is working overtime to separate you from your money in some shape or form. Even the companies that do provide valuable services try to scam you.

Trial subscriptions automatically convert to monthly bills. Mortgage providers charge you a convenience fee for choosing to pay by debit card rather than bank draft. Consumer packaged goods firms make stealth reductions in the size of the product packaging while holding prices steady. Computer manufacturers swap refurbished parts into your supposedly brand new desktop or laptop thinking you're too dumb to check. Car makers charging you an extra fee to enable software-driven features that are already installed in your fucking car.

Scam, scam, scam. Everything is a god damned scam.

Was it always this way?

by Anonymousreply 23May 6, 2021 12:18 AM

I assume you are twelve to just be realizing that life is a series of scams.

by Anonymousreply 1July 5, 2020 9:48 AM

Dear OP, we do love in a snake oil salesmen based society. The moment we are born we are groomed to become easy prey for the snake oil salesmen of this world promising to fix us, our issuse, and our problems.

by Anonymousreply 2July 5, 2020 10:09 AM

Sorry, we do LIVE in a snake oil salesmen driven society.

by Anonymousreply 3July 5, 2020 10:09 AM

Once you become less interested in buying and gain wisdom (i.e. once you get old) marketers ignore you completely.

by Anonymousreply 4July 5, 2020 10:14 AM

You negotiate you cable/satellite bill. They give you multiple “ temporary discount”, which expire at different times. So, your bill actually climbs over time to ridiculous amount. Now, you just pay, or have to go through the whole ordeal again. Rinse and repeat.

Anytime you deal with att on the phone, there will always be an “ error” in its favor, requiring another torturous call or three to straighten it out. Att biggest scammers on the planet and yet allowed to do so by the government

by Anonymousreply 5July 5, 2020 11:43 AM

OP is right. Even small businesses who start out truly wanting to be on the square, end up doing scammy things after a few years. I guess they feel they have to in order to compete.

by Anonymousreply 6July 5, 2020 12:09 PM

Dollar Tree is a scam too. It’s not $1, it’s $1 plus tax in most States.

by Anonymousreply 7July 5, 2020 1:01 PM

Yes. Companies with huge amount of resources use physchological data to manipulate us into buying more and beyond our means. Anyone remember sub-prime mortgages of the early 2000s?

by Anonymousreply 8July 5, 2020 1:03 PM

Apple created a software update to slow down older phones to push people into new phones.

Everything is a racket.

by Anonymousreply 9July 5, 2020 1:36 PM

R9 yup, my iPhone XS is running slower than ever. When the contract ends, no more Apple for me.

by Anonymousreply 10July 5, 2020 3:41 PM

I just ran an errand with three stops and got scammed three times, once at every stop I made. I got scammed at the Burger King, scammed at the Registry of Motor Vehicles, and scammed at the fish market.

Scam, scam, scam.

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2021 9:26 PM

Just wait until OP discovers the evils of Bug Pharma.

by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2021 9:35 PM

* Big Pharma (but maybe the other as well)

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2021 9:36 PM

It is true. As income disparity increases quality has dropped across the board and conglomerates steal while hiding behind useless customer service responses. Its all a big grift now in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2021 9:44 PM

Where's the lie? Ranges from easy to hard to ID.

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2021 9:45 PM

Spectrum owns this thread. They saturate the airwaves with their commercials, and release several new ads weekly; meanwhile the cable service and programming couldn't be worse. I might as well just send their ad agency a monthly check.

I fucking hate Spectrum!

by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2021 9:50 PM

"Never give a sucker an even break and never smarten up a chump."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 4, 2021 9:55 PM

How did u get scammed at Burger King r11?

by Anonymousreply 18May 4, 2021 9:57 PM

Some of these things aren't scams -- a scam is a misrepresentation.

Dollar Tree isn't lying about prices being $1. They don't say or even imply that you'll only PAY $1 for everything, they just say that the PRICE is $1 -- if the law then adds sales tax and/or a bottle deposit for soda, that's not part of the PRICE, it's a separate tax or deposit (which the store is required to collect from you but must then turn over to the government).

Mortgage lenders that charge a service fee if you pay by debit or credit card aren't misrepresenting anything (as long as they tell you up front that you'll be charged that fee), they're just recovering the expense that they'll incur by accepting payment in that form instead of requiring a check.

Products that are sold in a familiar looking package that contains less than it used to aren't misrepresenting the size as long as they print the accurate weight on the label -- if you don't bother to read the label because the picture on the bag is the same cute kittykat it always was, that's your own decision.

The world is full of con artists who are trying to trick you but not everyone is like Trump. Most people in the world of commerce may be greedy but that's not the same as being dishonest.

by Anonymousreply 19May 4, 2021 10:20 PM

R5, I remember getting phone bills with 900-numbers on them. I lived alone and was at work when these calls were supposedly made. Customer service called it a “computer error” and cheerfully removed the charges. It was only because I checked the phone bill carefully every month that I caught on. How many people do that? And now they can just zap a payment. Back then I wrote a check and balanced a checkbook.

by Anonymousreply 20May 4, 2021 10:47 PM

Has anyone ever gotten an unsolicited Email that wasn't a scam. Even one?

by Anonymousreply 21May 6, 2021 12:04 AM

R19 loves shit.

by Anonymousreply 22May 6, 2021 12:15 AM

Everything going towards the rental model. My biggest pet peeve. And the assholes I unfortunately chose to repair my house after a storm. What a bunch of scam artists. By I presume all the rest of them are too.

by Anonymousreply 23May 6, 2021 12:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!