Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Weird things your dad ate

My dad was a child of the Depression. He loved headcheese, pickled eggs, and Spam. I never saw him eat a salad. If he had to eat fruit it was a banana, left on the counter until it turned black and gnats were hovering. Then according to dad it was just about ripe.

by Anonymousreply 239September 12, 2020 10:52 PM

Fried bologna sandwiches.

Admittedly I tried it once. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 1July 3, 2020 10:54 PM

My dad was abandoned as a child, so he grew up fending for himself. Every so often he’d make a ketchup sandwich (ketchup and bread) or eat a can of vienna sausages just to feel at home again.

by Anonymousreply 2July 3, 2020 10:55 PM

Dear God! He loved liver and onions. Toxic. Disgusting, no matter how you prepare it.

by Anonymousreply 3July 3, 2020 10:55 PM

Aspic

by Anonymousreply 4July 3, 2020 10:57 PM

I like fried bologna, r1. It’s best with mayo and cheese.

by Anonymousreply 5July 3, 2020 10:58 PM

Teen beauty pageant contestants. Even I could tell they were uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 6July 3, 2020 10:58 PM

R3 my dad was the same

by Anonymousreply 7July 3, 2020 10:59 PM

Pickled pigs feet. 🥴

by Anonymousreply 8July 3, 2020 11:00 PM

One summer he built his own smoker using an old metal drum. Every night we were treated to carbonized chicken quarters which smelt of petroleum. Mom had to beg him to stop.

by Anonymousreply 9July 3, 2020 11:02 PM

Canned peaches and cottage cheese. For dessert.

by Anonymousreply 10July 3, 2020 11:03 PM

Raw potatoes with salt. Liverwurst. Chicken gizzards and hearts.

by Anonymousreply 11July 3, 2020 11:04 PM

When my dad was little his father was off serving in the navy, and his mother got tuberculosis and was shipped off to an isolation camp, so he was boarded as a paying guest with a family. He bitterly recounted how the family kids got butter and fresh milk, while he got oleo and canned milk. As a result, even though were were pretty poor, I grew up in a house where bread always had real butter, and milk was always fresh and whole. Dad's comfort foods were chicken-fried steak, Swiss steak, and round steak -He loved prime cuts of meat when he could get them, but he actually enjoyed those cheap cuts. No meal was complete without potatoes (mashed, or fried) and bread. He wasn't big on vegetables, but he loved to fry a couple of pieces of bacon and chopped onion in a small saucepan, and then add in a can of green beans.

I miss him.

by Anonymousreply 12July 3, 2020 11:11 PM

no hidden meaning in it but something called head cheese. All I know is it stunk, much like the other.

by Anonymousreply 13July 3, 2020 11:12 PM

Mine too, R3, R7.

by Anonymousreply 14July 3, 2020 11:13 PM

R8, my grandmother would go wild for those things.

The site of them turned my stomach. And I love ham.

by Anonymousreply 15July 3, 2020 11:13 PM

[quote] Canned peaches and cottage cheese. For dessert.

I don’t think this is that unusual. Today I think they make cottage cheese and peaches in the same container.

by Anonymousreply 16July 3, 2020 11:15 PM

This thread seems to be related to the "foods that make you retch" thread.

by Anonymousreply 17July 3, 2020 11:15 PM

my dad used to drench everything he ate in italian dressing. He would buy the big gallon jugs of it at Sams. To this day i can't stand the smell of italian dressing.

by Anonymousreply 18July 3, 2020 11:15 PM

Drum likes pork and beans. He eats 'em with everything.

by Anonymousreply 19July 3, 2020 11:17 PM

My father once told me as a child in the 20s a favorite dish served at breakfast was "brains & eggs" made with pig's brains. I 'bout puked.

by Anonymousreply 20July 3, 2020 11:18 PM

Spaghetti with garlic and oil. And fried balogna. He also made Bacalua es Salud. If you've ever opened a fridge with cod i it you know the fish scent of it. Dear non-existent deity. One thing I loved though pickled peppers. That and sour pickles. Used to be a little local store called Cussanos that had a big jar of sour pickles. They were awesome.

by Anonymousreply 21July 3, 2020 11:41 PM

For most of his life, including his childhood, my father would save a hunk of roast beef from his dinner so he could mix it in with a big slice of chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. I tried a bite once, just once and left it to him to enjoy. It had to be roast beef and chocolate cake only.

Then it was Lucky Strike time! Tomorrow would have been his 105th birthday.

by Anonymousreply 22July 4, 2020 12:44 AM

Dad loved head cheese which is a disgusting meat/jelly combination. He grew up poor so he always ate the ends of a sliced loaf of bread so the kids didn't have to eat crusts. A big treat for him was herring in wine sauce or smoked fish. I guess there's nothing wierd in those but herring and smoked fish make me gag.

by Anonymousreply 23July 4, 2020 1:21 AM

Pickled herring and tinned smoked oysters.

by Anonymousreply 24July 4, 2020 1:28 AM

Hey, smoked oysters are freaking delicious!

by Anonymousreply 25July 4, 2020 1:45 AM

Aww R12, that hurt my heart to even read that. How anyone could treat a child that way is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 26July 4, 2020 2:00 AM

Italian bread dunked into homemade Italian wine.

Also the baccala (cod) fish mentioned above.

by Anonymousreply 27July 4, 2020 2:11 AM

R22 I have never heard of that and it sounds totally gross! What was the allure I wonder.

by Anonymousreply 28July 4, 2020 2:23 AM

Stepfather was German Jewish so pickled herring in cream sauce with picked onions, something called Gurkensalat cucumbers, onions, dill, white vinegar and milk, Jewish rye. I loved the herring even then, the rye was ok, and was disturbed by the cucumbers and onions in a disgusting milk and vinegar dressing. Today Jewish rye is my favorite bread and I recently wandered into a German restaurant in the East side of Manhattan and tried the Gurkensalat for old times sake. Part of this is sheer nostalgia and part is that maybe the Salat is more for adult tastes. The Jewish rye is nostalgia tho.

by Anonymousreply 29July 4, 2020 2:24 AM

Good topic. The father didn't eat anything strange, but he drank 1) tonic water straight, as if it was just soda, which i can kind of see, and 2) a mixture of half-water, half-milk, which sounded just gross and i've never tried it myself.

by Anonymousreply 30July 4, 2020 2:32 AM

My pussy!

by Anonymousreply 31July 4, 2020 2:33 AM

Milk and sugar over baked beans.

by Anonymousreply 32July 4, 2020 2:49 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 4, 2020 2:56 AM

Another vote for raw potatoes cut into sticks then pressed into salt which was in a mound in the cup of his palm.

Something sweet? He'd eat raw rhubarb only pressed into the sugar held on his palm.

He'd also eat apples, core, seeds and all but leave the stem.

by Anonymousreply 34July 4, 2020 2:57 AM

My ass.

by Anonymousreply 35July 4, 2020 3:01 AM

[quote]Tomorrow would have been his 105th birthday.

Christ, how old does that make you? About 80?

by Anonymousreply 36July 4, 2020 3:03 AM

He was from a rural town in a Slav country. Weird meat. There was a smoky sort of ham spread he’d put on toast. Made his own pickles. Used walnut oil in his salads, which were delicious. He didn’t eat sweets at all.

by Anonymousreply 37July 4, 2020 3:05 AM

My dad was another one with the fried bologna sandwiches. They made me gag.

He would slice a tomato in half, salt it and eat it like an apple.

Never drank a drop of alcohol.

When I was a kid, he drank Pepsi while I loved Coke. He insisted it was way too sweet. I thought he was insane. But he was right. I haven't been able to choke one of those things down for decades.

by Anonymousreply 38July 4, 2020 3:07 AM

Cottage cheese with ketchup.

by Anonymousreply 39July 4, 2020 3:23 AM

Peanut butter and onion sandwiches. My southern mother was always horrified by that combo.

by Anonymousreply 40July 4, 2020 3:30 AM

R20, my grandad on my father's side did that, and then he'd chase the grandkids around, trying to get us to taste it. At first he wouldn't say what it was, but then one of the middle generation would warn us. None of us were takers after that.

Another disgusting thing he did was always ask for the fat off of everyone's plate.

He died in 1975 of a heart attack.

by Anonymousreply 41July 4, 2020 5:00 AM

This is a hilarious thread. Thanks all! My dad liked to put vinegar on everything.

by Anonymousreply 42July 4, 2020 6:58 AM

Thank you for noticing, r36. In fact I will be 78 in a few months. You know, if Trump's covid doesn't get me.

My mom's favorite snack was ice. She would have a little bowl of ice cubes sitting in the kitchen as she prepared the roast beef and chocolate cake. Munch munch munching away. Somehow she managed to keep all of her teeth until the end.

by Anonymousreply 43July 4, 2020 9:47 AM

Raw herring with onions and sometimes pickles too

by Anonymousreply 44July 4, 2020 10:14 AM

I like it too

by Anonymousreply 45July 4, 2020 10:14 AM

R43, that’s a thing with women. I think it’s a nutritional deficiency. Or maybe she was just trying to get some calorie-free crunch in. My mother got an electric ice-crusher so she could crunch with less damage to her teeth.

by Anonymousreply 46July 4, 2020 10:15 AM

My mom.

by Anonymousreply 47July 4, 2020 10:16 AM

I’ve always heard if you have a craving to eat ice it means you have low iron.

It could be a wives tale but it was also a question on Hollywood Squares.

Not that I think Peter Marshall was infallible.

by Anonymousreply 48July 4, 2020 10:32 AM

My step grandfather drank clear vinegar with dinner.

by Anonymousreply 49July 4, 2020 10:35 AM

Creamed herring on New Year’s Eve. Also, sardine sandwich with butter on a good Jewish rye.

by Anonymousreply 50July 4, 2020 10:46 AM

Not my dad. My mom. She drank what I called "swill" (after tasting it once) all day long: equal parts coffee, evaporated milk, and sugar. As a result, I did not drink coffee until I was 25, and a guy I was sleeping with / falling in love with made black coffee every morning in a Melitta (what we now call "pourover"). He bought his coffee at a store called McNulty's on Christopher Street. Their Celebes Kalossi is still the very best I've ever had.

Mother also made this concoction she called an omelette. She put whisked eggs, Velveeta, and Spam in a pan, and heated it up without stirring. It was done when the top was cooked solid. Naturally, the bottom was brown. I used to try to get her to mix it up in the pan, but she would go "No, no, wait. You have to let it settle." Even though I didn't know how to cook, I knew letting the egg mixture burn could be ameliorated by just stirring up from the bottom.

Her "cooking" was nothing more than assembling ingredients in the pressure cooker and letting it go. Occasionally, the thing on top would explode. Our kitchen ceiling had a permanent brown stain from my mother's culinary adventures.

Thankfully, we had my father, who was a perfect Italian-American cook, even though he was actually Irish-American. His next-door neighbor taught him how to garden and cook when he was a boy. She was from Naples. It was always a happier night when my father would either cook, bring home food he'd paid Lina to make, or brought home pizza.

Later, my mother would discover the gospel according to St. Julia, and my father would turn into a raging drunk, but for my early years, dinner was a nice thing, as long as my father made it.

by Anonymousreply 51July 4, 2020 11:09 AM

Mine was a poor kid from Philadelphia and he yearned for Scrapple, but not just any scrapple, apparently there are regional variations within the scrapple belt. It was all academic since he lived 100's of miles away from any place that served it, but he would go on and on about it.

by Anonymousreply 52July 4, 2020 11:12 AM

Condensed Campbells Cream of Mushroom (or Chicken) soup right out of the can.

by Anonymousreply 53July 4, 2020 11:18 AM

[quote] Creamed herring

That’s what Daddy called Mother’s cooter after he was done with it.

by Anonymousreply 54July 4, 2020 11:28 AM

r52 If not the food of the gods, then at least the demi-gods. There ARE regional differences as to texture, color and of course taste and ingredients. Some scrapple is VERY liver-y, you can sometimes spot it as it's being sliced, but you can always taste it once it's been fried.

I think I'll have to put scrapple on my shopping list. Doncha' just love the power of suggestion?

by Anonymousreply 55July 4, 2020 11:35 AM

Limburger cheese...although I have grown to like it.

He would take a piece of bread, spread butter and then sprinkle it with sugar. When eating it he would state that is was their lunch sandwich during the depression.

by Anonymousreply 56July 4, 2020 11:35 AM

The nicer the neighborhood, the more snobby the Safeway in my city. My mom lives in a fairly affluent area. It is humiliating to have to go to their deli with its array of choice meats and cuts only to ask for a quarter pound of garlic bologna. Bologna is bad enough. Stinky garlic bologna you can smell uncooked through the package is too much. Worst of all when fries the whole house reeks of cheap meat and garlic. I imagine it's what the depression era smelled like... And she's a boomer, no excuse for it.

by Anonymousreply 57July 4, 2020 11:46 AM

My dad loved fried bologna and onion sandwiches and fried liver sausage and eggs. My mom thought "sweetbread" (a culinary name for the thymus or pancreas, typically from calf and lamb), and pickled pigs feet were a treat. Oh, she also liked really smelly cheeses like Limburger.

by Anonymousreply 58July 4, 2020 11:53 AM

Boomers inherited many of the habits of their Depression era parents.

by Anonymousreply 59July 4, 2020 11:54 AM

Liederkranz cheese with onions. It has a strong feet funk/Windex smell. I hear tell that hipster foodies are bringing it back, gag.

by Anonymousreply 60July 4, 2020 12:02 PM

Blood pudding. He'd make a big breakfast on Saturday morning and I dreaded the French toast that might have been fried next to it. It looked like a big brown shit and smelled wrong as it cooked. My two half sisters from his first marriage loved it. I'd beg my mother to get up and at least make porridge. I guess that's how I started cooking.

by Anonymousreply 61July 4, 2020 12:04 PM

My dad said when he was young he would eat raw bacon! I never to this day heard of anyone doing that. I think looking back now maybe he was eating prosciutto? I mean it's ham, and it's salt cured so technically its not cooked. And he lived in an Italian suburb so it would have been somewhat available. If on the other hand he really was eating raw bacon, then no wonder he had a quadruple bypass at 50.

by Anonymousreply 62July 4, 2020 12:04 PM

R52 I developed a taste for scrapple after visiting PA Dutch on a family trip as a kid. Every now and then I still get a hankering for it. There's a grocery store here in MA that sells it whenever I want a fix.

As for my dad, he was in the marines as a young man (1960s) and LOVED chipped beef on toast (aka shit on a shingle).

by Anonymousreply 63July 4, 2020 12:06 PM

Blood pudding! AKKK. My cousin used to try to get me to eat that by telling me it tasted just like chocolate. It didnt work. But they loved it, but then they lived on a farm and ate all parts of the animals back then.

by Anonymousreply 64July 4, 2020 12:07 PM

[Quote] He would take a piece of bread, spread butter and then sprinkle it with sugar.

I used to do that as a schoolboy. Loved it! Say hey to your dad for me.

by Anonymousreply 65July 4, 2020 12:08 PM

He'd eat a whole can of sardines dripping in olive oil with a whole raw onion and a glass of beer with hunks of sour dough bread. It doesn't seem that awful to me now I'm in my 50's but as a kid it made me gag.

by Anonymousreply 66July 4, 2020 12:26 PM

a banana sandwich

by Anonymousreply 67July 4, 2020 1:11 PM

Get this: My partner's dad buttered sliced tomatoes!

by Anonymousreply 68July 4, 2020 1:31 PM

Nothing too extreme, but my dad puts ketchup on his eggs. When he eats any kind of bone in meat, like buffalo wings, fried chicken, pork chops, etc... he eats every bit of it, including all the cartilage, sinew, fat, etc...

by Anonymousreply 69July 4, 2020 1:54 PM

I did not grow up with a father and met mine as an adult. In the time we had together before his death I saw nothing weird, but he did have his first BLT with me and many after that.

by Anonymousreply 70July 4, 2020 2:18 PM

I don’t know why, but I found that sweet, r70.

Like even though your dad was older, you were still able to show him something and share something.

(I know...MARY!!)

by Anonymousreply 71July 4, 2020 5:34 PM

My mother.

by Anonymousreply 72July 4, 2020 5:50 PM

What's a dad?

by Anonymousreply 73July 4, 2020 5:53 PM

pussy

by Anonymousreply 74July 4, 2020 5:54 PM

Sliced cucumbers and raw onion rings in iced vinegar. Yerk!

by Anonymousreply 75July 4, 2020 6:00 PM

Chicken hearts and gizzards. My mom would save them in a Tupperware container and freeze them whenever she bought whole chicken or turkey, together with the liver. Once the container was full, dad would chop them up finely, add onions, tomatoes and a pinch of various spices (he liked to experiment) and then fry them up. The liver was cooked separately, with onions and mushrooms. You could smell that sh*t down the street when coming home from school and our hearts would sink because dad had a rule that we each had to eat at least one toast - buttered - with one half covered in chicken-gizzard and the other half with liver. (Liver was supposed to be really good for you in the 60's)

His justification was that we needed to develop a taste for fugal living in case we didn't succeed in life. He called it his "hobo" dinner.

Anyway, a few years after he died, we were gathered at my sister's place for thanksgiving and reminiscing about this when we spontaneously decided to recreate it using the innards of the three turkeys. The idea was that her kids (who had heard all about it) could sample for themselves the full horror of our childhood menu.

I don't know what we did wrong (or right) but both the gizzard/heart dish and the liver turned out absolutely delicious. We are still trying to figure out if dad was just a terrible cook, or if our taste buds have finally caught up to his.

by Anonymousreply 76July 4, 2020 6:53 PM

I mean it was just pate, R75.

by Anonymousreply 77July 4, 2020 6:58 PM

Chunks of limburger cheese with a slice of jalapeno on them.

by Anonymousreply 78July 4, 2020 7:05 PM

Half the things your dads ate I don't find weird at all. I've eaten similar with relish in some instances, like a banana sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 79July 4, 2020 8:28 PM

Eating/using all parts of the animal is just good sense. And it’s nutritious. Modern meat eaters are rather prissy. For the vast majority of human history, you just didn’t waste a scrap.

by Anonymousreply 80July 4, 2020 10:43 PM

^^^ Even predators leave scraps behind for the scavengers to clean up.

by Anonymousreply 81July 4, 2020 11:45 PM

My father loved banana and peanut butter sandwiches. I tried them once having two in one sitting. I was constipated for three days.

by Anonymousreply 82July 5, 2020 12:27 AM

Vick’s vaporub. Ate a spoonful of it sprinkled with salt when he had a cold.

by Anonymousreply 83July 5, 2020 12:30 AM

He would eat a lot of tripe in red sauce, chinese food and peanut crullers.

by Anonymousreply 84July 5, 2020 12:36 AM

[quote]Eating/using all parts of the animal is just good sense. And it’s nutritious.

Actually it's not that's an old wives tale. Organ meats are particularity bad for you. They contain high levels of uric acid which is the primary cause of gout.

by Anonymousreply 85July 5, 2020 12:47 PM

R82 what's wrong with you? Peanut butter and banana sandwiches are great! I have them all the time. Your dad's got good taste.

by Anonymousreply 86July 5, 2020 2:12 PM

[quote] Actually it's not that's an old wives tale. Organ meats are particularity bad for you. They contain high levels of uric acid which is the primary cause of gout.

Yeah, because we’re going to take nutritional advice from someone who doesn’t know the English language.

by Anonymousreply 87July 5, 2020 5:26 PM

Maybe not weird, but he ate liver, which still is unappealing to me. He also liked sardines. I like fish, but sardines make me gag.

by Anonymousreply 88July 5, 2020 8:51 PM

R87 I can safely say the best food I've had has been made by cooks who do not know the English Language.

by Anonymousreply 89July 6, 2020 1:35 AM

My dad loved his food heavily peppered. Just plain black pepper out of the shaker. I remember sliced tomatoes, in particular: they would be completely black on the top from a thick layer of pepper. He didn’t over salt his food, just pepper.

by Anonymousreply 90July 6, 2020 1:47 AM

Piperine in pepper increases testosterone.

by Anonymousreply 91July 6, 2020 1:51 AM

Well, that might explain the 8 kids.

by Anonymousreply 92July 6, 2020 2:29 AM

Not my father, but my mother salted everything. She would put soy sauce in Chinese food, then salt it. She would salt a piece of rare streak until the top turned gray.

In the old days, salt shakers were made of glass and had metal tops with little holes in them. When Tupperware came out, my mother bought 2 huge plastic shakers, salt & pepper. She was ecstatic because she took a knife & made the holes in the plastic salt shaker bigger, so that the salt came out in a nonstop stream.

by Anonymousreply 93July 6, 2020 3:56 AM

Ye olde Tupperware salt & pepper shakers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94July 6, 2020 4:00 AM

My grandmother had a set of those, R94.

The observations about Depression Era seasoning are interesting to me. I always thought that the reason my Gram (my nickname for my grandmother on my mom's side) seasoned everything so heavily - including the over-use of garlic salt - was that she was a heavy smoker and couldn't taste anything unless it was overseasoned. I inherited her seasoning tastes, although I'm not a smoker, and never have been.

The thing at R75 about cucumbers and onions in vinegar - she did that, too; it was usually a side dish with beef roast, at Christmas. She frequently made something she called "goulash," which consisted of fried ground beef with cubed potatoes in broth, seasoned with nothing by garlic salt. I was raised on it, and it was with some surprise that I discovered in my 20s that "goulash," properly speaking, had macaroni, tomatoes, and paprika in it. The simplicity of my gram's "goulash" might simply reflect Depression Era poverty - the ground beef and potatoes may have been all they had.

Gram died of cancer in 1980, when I was sixteen. My relationship with her had become as adversarial as the one with my parents, if not more so, but I still loved her cooking. Perhaps a week ago, I made her "goulash" because I was craving it, but with the modifications I've made to it over the years - granulated garlic powder instead of the lethal levels of garlic salt she used, and Tones Beef Broth concentrate added to improve the flavor of the broth. But it's still just the ground beef and potatoes that I loved, with broth to sip and dip bread in. (Sometimes I use cubed rutabaga in it along with the potatoes, just to switch it up a bit.)

It's definitely not health food, but I like it every few months or so.

by Anonymousreply 95July 6, 2020 4:22 AM

Fat off of meat, and he used to make this disgusting dish when my mom wasn’t home. It was Kraft dinner and he put ground beef in it. Also ground beef fried in nasty gravy with onions oh and he kept a jar of bacon grease and used it to flavour food like hashed browns. I became a vegetarian very young and I think eating all that disgusting poorly cooked hamburger meat helped.

by Anonymousreply 96July 6, 2020 4:28 AM

Limburger cheese, sardines, sour kraut, once he put cow brains in our scrambled eggs, thought it was hilarious. You don't see those in the store anymore.

He would eat anything, was adventurous and silly. My grandfather liked hominy with his eggs in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 97July 6, 2020 5:45 AM

Fried egg and peanut butter sandwich (toasted bread). It's delicious. He also made a teriyaki stirfry with Spam, pineapple and green beans. He grew up in Hawaii and Spam is still huge there.

by Anonymousreply 98July 6, 2020 5:51 AM

Whole raw turnips. He'd cut slices off and eat them like they were apples.

by Anonymousreply 99July 6, 2020 5:52 AM

[quote]Peanut butter and banana sandwiches are great!

They are, and even better with honey.

by Anonymousreply 100July 6, 2020 5:55 AM

My dad was Jewier than my mom - his parents immigrated from Russia to escape the pogroms, whereas my mom's parents were born here - and he ate a lot of weird Jewish food, none of which the rest of us would touch: borscht, gefilte fish, kreplach, pickled herring, blintzes, halvah...he had a high metabolism, so he could eat with us and then in between meals he would snack on all his gross Jewish delicacies. (I actually did learn to like the halvah and the blintzes, but for years I wouldn't go near any of that shit).

by Anonymousreply 101July 6, 2020 6:11 AM

R95 NO. Real Goulash has no macaroni, it is from Hungary and it is a soup.

by Anonymousreply 102July 6, 2020 8:16 AM

Not Jewish but I love all those Jewish delicacies your dad does. I used to host Seder just so I could pig out on them. Well pig may not be the best word to use here.

by Anonymousreply 103July 6, 2020 8:20 AM

A cow tongue sandwich on rye bread.

by Anonymousreply 104July 6, 2020 8:41 AM

yum pickled herring

by Anonymousreply 105July 6, 2020 8:45 AM

Souse deli meat set in sweet gelatin. So gross but as a kid I liked the sweet vinegar

by Anonymousreply 106July 6, 2020 9:04 AM

Salad dressing made from mayonnaise and the brine from a jar of pickled hot peppers.

by Anonymousreply 107July 6, 2020 9:06 AM

R104—“…and don’t give me any lip.”

by Anonymousreply 108July 7, 2020 12:40 AM

My father loved weird meat like head cheese, pig's feet, and liverwurst. When I was a kid he once brought home a sheep's head and roasted it in the oven. He made sure the eyes were facing the oven door so I'd scream when he asked me to check the dinner roast. He got a huge laugh out of that.

by Anonymousreply 109July 7, 2020 2:52 AM

Your dads cute r109

by Anonymousreply 110July 7, 2020 3:37 AM

Tame by the standards of this thread, but my dad would eat Oreos by running them under warm water at the kitchen sink. He didn't like dunking them in milk but wanted them softened up.

by Anonymousreply 111July 7, 2020 4:54 AM

Your dads are weird. No wonder you all turned out gay.

by Anonymousreply 112July 7, 2020 11:51 AM

My dad never ate what I would consider 'weird things' - that was always my grandmother on my mom's side, or my grandad on my dad's side.

Something lasting my dad bequeathed to me was putting a dollop of peanut butter in a cup, pouring a little pancake syrup on it, stirring it through loosely, and eating it. I still do that every once in a while if I have low blood sugar.

Peanut butter and molasses isn't bad, either.

Now, my Gram - I could always count on her eating disgusting shit like liver & onions, braunschweiger sandwiches, etc.

by Anonymousreply 113July 7, 2020 12:04 PM

R69, my Dad eats that way as well!

My father also loves chicken and turkey gizzards. I cook them with the stuffing and he gets them as soon as the bird is out of the oven. He also loves liver and onions.

by Anonymousreply 114July 7, 2020 12:22 PM

banana sandwich with mayonnaise

tomatoes with bbq sauce

by Anonymousreply 115July 7, 2020 12:31 PM

Peanut butter, yellow mustard, and pickle sandwich.

He was also a drunk.

by Anonymousreply 116July 7, 2020 12:35 PM

He loved these pizza things you put in the toaster- they don't make them anymore...I have looked to find them and they are NOWHERE. Butony brand, I think.

Wish I could get them for him.

by Anonymousreply 117July 7, 2020 2:17 PM

Buitoni, r117.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 7, 2020 2:21 PM

Limburger cheese, Del Monte canned fruit cocktail and rabbit stew...not at the same time

by Anonymousreply 119July 7, 2020 2:22 PM

[quote] sour kraut

What is this, like an acerbic German?

by Anonymousreply 120July 7, 2020 6:54 PM

sauerkraut

by Anonymousreply 121July 7, 2020 8:04 PM

Muriel's pussy?

by Anonymousreply 122July 7, 2020 9:05 PM

My dad made something he called a western sandwich it was an omelette with pieces of ham, red and green peppers and onion. He would put it between 2 slices of white bread with the crust cut off I loved it, I thought it was the food of the Gods. As I got older and was learning how to cook I would stand next to him and watch him assemble the ingredients, cook it and assemble the sandwich but I was never able to make it taste the same.

by Anonymousreply 123July 7, 2020 9:06 PM

R123, that's sweet.

by Anonymousreply 124July 7, 2020 10:51 PM

My father retired just at the start of the great depression. We lived on a small farm and made do with what we could grow, sometimes we would trade for a chicken, but that would only be once a month or so. My father would pickle just about everything, but at least that gave us something come winter.

by Anonymousreply 125July 7, 2020 11:24 PM

Were you a coal miner’s daughter?

by Anonymousreply 126July 8, 2020 5:23 PM

Thanks, R118! I wish I could find them and get them for him.

by Anonymousreply 127July 8, 2020 5:43 PM

Also remember wine biscuits and pepper biscuits. Be damned if I can find them here in the state of Georgia.

by Anonymousreply 128July 8, 2020 9:59 PM

[quote]Yeah, because we’re going to take nutritional advice from someone who doesn’t know the English language.

Yes, simpletons should always ignore scientific facts one they find a spelling error. Oh the horror!

by Anonymousreply 129July 10, 2020 5:23 AM

[quote]When I was a kid he once brought home a sheep's head and roasted it in the oven. He made sure the eyes were facing the oven door so I'd scream when he asked me to check the dinner roast. He got a huge laugh out of that.

You think that's bad? Try 10 sheep heads! I grew up in a very Brady suburb where food was what you would expect for that. But once a year we would travel across several states to visit the grandparents who lived on a small farm. They had cows, sheep, pigs, chickens you name it. We are talking very rural dirt roads and water from a well kind of place. Anyway, one day my grandmother asked me to go get a pie which was cooling in the pump house that covered the well. Kind of a natural refrigerator. So no big deal, been in there dozens of times but this time when I opened up the door, I screamed like a little gay boy I was as they "forgot" to tell me there were 10 newly severed sheep's heads in there staring at me and the fucking pie!

by Anonymousreply 130July 10, 2020 5:38 AM

My dad would cram a piece of cake (usually birthday) into a glass of milk and eat it all with a spoon. He would also fry apples and onions together and eat them. My dad grew up in poverty. If I ever complained about being hungry, he would say, “You don’t know what it’s like to be hungry.”

by Anonymousreply 131July 10, 2020 5:46 AM

Sounds very unsanitary, R130! Did you end up eating any of that pie?

by Anonymousreply 132July 10, 2020 11:21 AM

Not that pie, or any other pie, EVER!

by Anonymousreply 133July 10, 2020 8:34 PM

You know, I cant remember if I ate after that. I was so traumatized while the adults were laughing off their asses. That was only one of several fucked up experiences they put me through. They also made me go out with one of my uncles and what him rope, tie it up to a tree, slit it throat, split it guts open, pull out the organs, and watch all the blood dripped on the ground and dogs running up lick it up.

Needless to say, I moved to a city when I grew up where I wouldn't have to do that. I couldn't even handle cooking raw chicken until I was 40. I think they thought it would toughen me up but it had the complete opposite result.

by Anonymousreply 134July 11, 2020 3:32 AM

Interestingly both my parents and both sets of grandparents were excellent cooks. So it's no wonder that once I'd figured out seasoning I turned out to be pretty good too.

by Anonymousreply 135July 30, 2020 12:37 AM

Moxie soda...we're from Maine.

by Anonymousreply 136July 30, 2020 12:41 AM

Mackerel and striped bass he caught himself. To tell the truth, the bass wasn't bad. Gutting it was.

by Anonymousreply 137July 30, 2020 12:45 AM

My grandpa ate onions like apples...

by Anonymousreply 138July 30, 2020 12:45 AM

Huge quantities of everything. Entire contents of fruit storage in the fridge. Schav and borsht in the summer. All the aforesaid Jewish things, which I liked myself. Huge lithuanian rye breads fresh from the bakery with butter and Lithuanian bacon rolls--odd since .he had been brought up in an orthodox home. Irish pub food served on family style platteers. Fried smelt, whitefish and perch. Any kind of deli food. Dungeness crab in Southern Italian restaurants with garden seating. Not surprisingly, he had diabetes and a heart attack at 64 and died.

by Anonymousreply 139July 30, 2020 1:12 AM

Buttermilk in the summer.

by Anonymousreply 140July 30, 2020 1:24 AM

[quote] As for my dad, he was in the marines as a young man (1960s) and LOVED chipped beef on toast (aka shit on a shingle).

Mine too, R63 -- except that he was in the marines during WWII in the South Pacific. He said that all of the "good" food went to the Navy and he would have been grateful for stuff like shit on a shingle and Spam. After the war, he was always happy to get those things for dinner.

He also had a strong sweet tooth. He didn't like vegetables but was willing to eat a bowl of chopped tomatoes or iceberg lettuce (NOT together like a salad!) with sugar on top.

by Anonymousreply 141July 30, 2020 2:57 AM

[quote] I've eaten similar with relish in some instances, like a banana sandwich.

R79, bananas and relish don't sound good together.

by Anonymousreply 142July 30, 2020 3:00 AM

liver and onions. liverwurst. tinned clams, sardines and other seafoody things (odd because he came from NY and lived in SF, where fresh is available). eggs with all or any of the above. raw egg in milk for hangovers, which he forced on me as a wee child.

to this day, i can't handle a runny egg of any kind.

by Anonymousreply 143July 30, 2020 3:15 AM

Ketchup sandwiches when he was a kid. They was po'.

by Anonymousreply 144July 30, 2020 7:39 AM

My dad liked to cut up orange circus peanuts and put them in chocolate ice cream. He also liked a slice of white bread with vanilla ice cream. I thought that was weird, but when I tried it, it wasn't bad. Kind of reminded me of an ice cream cone. Especially good if the bread was homemade.

by Anonymousreply 145July 30, 2020 7:55 AM

^^^ Yuck! Those circus peanuts are the worst candy ever. Like very old, stale, dried up, tough marshmallows.

by Anonymousreply 146July 30, 2020 8:07 AM

Sardines right out of the tin with crackers.

Coffee poured over shredded wheat, topped with grape jelly.

by Anonymousreply 147July 30, 2020 8:10 AM

Tripe cooked with milk and onions. He loved it. It made the house stink. The strange thing is that I could never eat it like that, but I like tripe cooked the way they do in Spain or France. I am not allowed to make it myself. My husband would leave me.

by Anonymousreply 148July 30, 2020 8:23 AM

He would pour salted peanuts into a Coke. A glass bottled Coke. He would then drink the Coke and chew up the peanuts. I thought he was crazy until I tried it. It’s actually really tasty. Kind of like a Payday bar

by Anonymousreply 149July 30, 2020 8:35 AM

Peanut butter topped with butter on Ritz crackers.

by Anonymousreply 150July 30, 2020 8:39 AM

R149, that's popular in the South. I've seen it in Texas and Georgia.

by Anonymousreply 151July 30, 2020 12:02 PM

[quote]raw egg in milk for hangovers,

Does this work?

by Anonymousreply 152July 30, 2020 12:39 PM

[quote]raw egg in milk for hangovers, which he forced on me as a wee child.

You had hangovers as a wee child?

by Anonymousreply 153July 30, 2020 1:09 PM

My mother grew up in the Depression as one of ten children.

She told me that a treat was considered butter spread on bread with sugar sprinkled on top.

by Anonymousreply 154July 30, 2020 1:34 PM

One of my father's favorite snacks was black licorice, which to me is like eating asphalt.

by Anonymousreply 155July 30, 2020 1:35 PM

i have no idea if raw eggs in milk cured hangovers, and think he was just forcing me to eat them because he was eating them and didn't want to make a separate breakfast. since his job started later in the day, he was generally at home in the mornings and was forced to adopt the Responsible Adult role by necessity.

then again, he also fed that to the cats. perhaps he was just a raw egg fanatic? although he didn't seem to eat them at other times, preferring the liver&onions and tinned oysters and crap. washed down with booze and a pack a day of lucky strikes.

i will say this--in my own hangover days, i would crave a huge omelet and a giant glass of OJ the morning after a night on the town. it did make me feel more human. maybe the old drunk was onto something?

by Anonymousreply 156July 30, 2020 1:44 PM

R154, you’re not the first person to mention that.

Now it’s got me intrigued and I may try it one day.

by Anonymousreply 157July 30, 2020 3:10 PM

[quote] Weird things your dad ate

The pussy of that trashy, blowsy bartender with the huge tits.

by Anonymousreply 158July 30, 2020 3:12 PM

You can mush the banana with a dollop of mayo and you can get many more sandwiches out of it.

by Anonymousreply 159July 30, 2020 3:25 PM

I could very well be your dad, kids. Well, most of you. You squeees are the weirdos.

by Anonymousreply 160July 30, 2020 3:36 PM

R154 and R 157, I grew up in India and we’d eat this all the time. Of course we hid it from our mom who would yell at us for eating so much sugar. God, it was delicious.

by Anonymousreply 161July 30, 2020 5:50 PM

R161 My mom would make me buttered toast sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. I still make it every now and then as a snack.

This doesn't very different except for the toasting part.

by Anonymousreply 162July 31, 2020 11:09 PM

Both of my parents were burn in 1920 but surprisingly didn’t eat weird stuff. They both liked German black bread with fresh butter and Limburger cheese (my brother smeared it on people’s doorknobs on Halloween) for a treat, and we all liked Lebanon bologna, which is not Lebanese, but from Lebanon, PA, and impossible to find on the west coast. I have it overnighted occasionally as a treat.

by Anonymousreply 163July 31, 2020 11:29 PM

Avocado sandwiches (mashed avocado, pepper and mayo)

Grape Nuts with half and half

by Anonymousreply 164July 31, 2020 11:32 PM

My mom.

by Anonymousreply 165August 1, 2020 1:03 AM

Gefilte fish.

I still don't know what it really is.

by Anonymousreply 166August 1, 2020 1:07 AM

R164 I love avocado toast so this sounds good.

by Anonymousreply 167August 1, 2020 1:44 AM

[quote] i have no idea if raw eggs in milk cured hangovers,

Just whisk with a fork & cook in a skillet = scrambled eggs. Tastes better, same ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 168August 1, 2020 3:16 AM

I didn't remember until I saw this on a TV show today, but was it weird to eat a whole hard-boiled egg with salt?

by Anonymousreply 169August 1, 2020 3:40 AM

R169, no.

by Anonymousreply 170August 1, 2020 3:41 AM

Tate and Lyles golden syrup straight out of the tin with a spoon.

Sweetened condensed milk straight out of the tin with a spoon.

by Anonymousreply 171August 1, 2020 4:21 AM

Cereal with half and half is THE SHIT tho.

by Anonymousreply 172August 1, 2020 4:22 AM

Nothing weird about that, R171, it sounds heavenly. But how much did your dad weigh? And how were his teeth?

by Anonymousreply 173August 1, 2020 4:28 AM

He was about 15 lbs overweight, I'd guess. It's weird because other than those 2 things (and this weird chocolate cake he made my mom make) he didn't have much of a sweet tooth at all. I think it was a childhood/comfort thing for him. His teeth were fine, they moved to Canada from the UK and didn't go down that English teeth road ha ha.

by Anonymousreply 174August 1, 2020 4:33 AM

fuck now I miss my dad and want to eat golden syrup straight out of the tin. :(

by Anonymousreply 175August 1, 2020 4:34 AM

Sardines from the can opened with a key.

by Anonymousreply 176August 1, 2020 4:41 AM

R175, are you in Canada? I'm suddenly unable to find Lyles in Calif -- World Market/Cost Plus used to carry it, but no more -- I could order from Amazon but hate to deal with them. It's divine stuff!

by Anonymousreply 177August 1, 2020 4:59 AM

Steak tartare Raw oysters Sardines from the can with the key Worst of all, he chewed with his mouth open without even being aware of it.

by Anonymousreply 178August 1, 2020 6:42 AM

Garlic bread and a latte for breakfast for his "everyday" breakfast.

Sardine and raw onion sandwiches as a treat.

And this always cracked me up: in order to "freshen his breath" after a restaurant meal, he would eat the parsley they served. I'm talking that plasticky tasteless parsley that was bred not to wilt under the heat lamp in restaurants.

But somehow, that little scrap of green was going to magically erase garlic bread, sardines, raw onions and two packets of cigarettes a day.

by Anonymousreply 179August 1, 2020 7:45 AM

R179 nothing erases the stench of cigarettes.

by Anonymousreply 180August 1, 2020 10:17 AM

Chitterlings and mountain oysters.

by Anonymousreply 181August 1, 2020 12:22 PM

R177 Yes, but Quebec so I have yet to find Tate and Lyles here. I'm in the UK enough that I can pick up a can here or there, it was a pantry staple when I was growing up. Have you ever tried the black treacle in the red tin? I've always been curious but never tried it...

I'm with you on Amazon, too. I used to order a lot from them but over the past few years, for various reasons both selfish and unselfish, I've cut right down.

by Anonymousreply 182August 2, 2020 12:43 AM

R177 ... WM still carries Lyles ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183August 4, 2020 12:33 AM

Pussy

by Anonymousreply 184August 4, 2020 12:37 AM

Cream of celery soup

Chopped canned tomatoes

Minced frozen onion

Sliced canned black olives

Sliced canned mushrooms

Kraft “Parmesan” cheese in a green can

Spaghetti - preferably store brand

Yum!👍

by Anonymousreply 185August 4, 2020 12:59 AM

[OP] Your Mom's ass.

by Anonymousreply 186August 4, 2020 1:51 AM

That’s a recipe not a list, right R185?

by Anonymousreply 187August 4, 2020 1:55 AM

Head cheese, pimento loaf sandwiches, sardines in mustard on crackers with hotsauce

by Anonymousreply 188August 4, 2020 2:28 AM

Thanks, R183! Last time I checked the 3 stores in my area was approx Feb and none of them had it, nor was it on the website -- I was too dispirited to complain to them but maybe everyone else did, because you're right that it's on the website now. I've just ordered one to be shipped (no fees) to a local store for pickup. Sorry to see it's now in a plastic squeeze bottle instead of the beautiful little metal can but let's not be picky.

by Anonymousreply 189August 4, 2020 2:44 PM

Sardines on crackers with hot sauce is the absolute best!!!

Your missing out, R188.

You can add onion and tomatoes to the sardines. Yummy!!

by Anonymousreply 190August 4, 2020 5:35 PM

Sweetbreads (throat from a calf). My Dad boiled them and ate them. Maybe not "weird" to some people, but to me they were and still are. I never would try them.

by Anonymousreply 191August 4, 2020 5:39 PM

Brain Sandwiches, Mountain Oysters and turkey fries

by Anonymousreply 192August 4, 2020 5:47 PM

R189 That squeeze bottle sent me to my fainting couch for 2 hours.

by Anonymousreply 193August 5, 2020 12:47 AM

The important thing is what's on the inside, R193. With people as well as with syrup containers. That little tin is lovely though -- why would anyone change it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194August 5, 2020 12:59 AM

[quote] Your missing out,

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 195August 5, 2020 11:46 AM

Fried egg and salt pork sandwiches. He said that it was the best hangover meal ever.

by Anonymousreply 196August 5, 2020 4:07 PM

R196 that actually sounds like awesome hangover food, or anytime food actually. You could swap with fried Canadian bacon.

by Anonymousreply 197August 5, 2020 4:27 PM

UGH! That logo and phrase, R194. It's from Samson's Riddle (Judges 14), where bees are depicted as making a hive in a lion's corpse.

Not very appetizing.

(Bees don't do that. Read the link, under 'Interpretations,' where there's a potentially gay angle.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198August 6, 2020 9:26 AM

My mom

by Anonymousreply 199August 6, 2020 9:36 AM

Jam, marmalade and dried fruit sometimes several times a day. Lots of bread. He also doesn't care for hot food for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 200August 6, 2020 9:45 AM

My primary memories were the things that he would not eat - anything creamy and white (except ice cream). He hated sour cream, yogurt, white sauces and mayonnaise. He hated almost all vegetables unless they had been stewed into oblivion (like those served with pot roast for instance). Jello with frozen or canned fruit added was about as close as he came to actually eating fruit. Mostly he loved sweets - tons of ice cream and always chocolates and cookies everywhere. To this day, I still have very little taste for any of the above - it was just far too plentiful when I was a kid and I really never took to sweets. Now dad is diabetic and somewhat forced into a diet that he hates - but I am proud of him for getting things under control. I think that he enjoyed his adult years (he was never a drinker or smoker, so he deserved a food vice or ten).

by Anonymousreply 201August 6, 2020 9:51 AM

How original, r199.

Oh my, such wit. We’re beside ourselves with laughter. Tee hee. Tee. Hee.

I mean, after all it can’t be said too many times, right?

by Anonymousreply 202August 6, 2020 11:10 AM

Okay I think we’ve covered sardines.

by Anonymousreply 203August 6, 2020 11:13 AM

Well, I thought it was weird, r202

by Anonymousreply 204August 7, 2020 5:45 PM

My butt.

by Anonymousreply 205August 7, 2020 5:47 PM

My Dad grew up in the Depression era and through his adult life ate Wilted Lettuce at least three times a week. Lettuce leaves with onions and bacon crumbles wherein you pour hot grease on top.

by Anonymousreply 206August 7, 2020 7:35 PM

Brain sandwiches.

by Anonymousreply 207August 28, 2020 6:04 PM

Weird but delicious. One day we kids (okay, us kids) wanted a dessert and there was nothing in the house. Dad got out some soft white bread (like Wonder bread), put on some (lots, probably) margarine and white sugar and it was surprisingly delicious. I was wondering why we never had it before.

by Anonymousreply 208August 28, 2020 7:24 PM

R208 we used to eat that as well, until our mom busted us, and punished us for eating all that sugar. Haha, .

by Anonymousreply 209August 29, 2020 2:01 PM

Garlic. He loved raw garlic. Chicken feet, boiled. I will always remember the sight of those curled up claws on a plate. Eggs with chicks already formed inside them. Shudder. Fat and gristle on meat. I can’t stand the smell of garlic to this day and am a vegetarian.

by Anonymousreply 210August 29, 2020 2:44 PM

Crabs and other shellfish. Not because they were gross, but because he was allergic to them and he'd eat them then ask us to come look at his face get welts....freaky. One day he started to have breathing problems after eating about five crabs. Mom made him stop that.

by Anonymousreply 211August 30, 2020 4:09 PM

My dad liked that canned Deviled Ham that was like the oldest canned food product in American history. I think the oldest graphic logo to ever be registered with a trade mark. If I remember correctly it tasted good as a kid. Unlike Spam, it was finely ground with some spices and a little kick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212September 4, 2020 10:32 AM

Tinned Vienna sausages

Pussy

by Anonymousreply 213September 4, 2020 10:43 AM

I really liked devilled ham and also Spam. Since I stopped eating meat, those are 2 of the things I miss most (after bacon, of course). My dad liked Spam but wasn't crazy about devilled ham (though he liked the picture of the little red devil on the can).

by Anonymousreply 214September 4, 2020 1:22 PM

I ate so much Spam in the military I cannot tolerate any longer.

by Anonymousreply 215September 4, 2020 1:24 PM

My dad liked Deviled Ham, too. I remember him eating it on toast.

by Anonymousreply 216September 4, 2020 5:19 PM

R202

YOUR Moms' pussy then?

by Anonymousreply 217September 9, 2020 5:26 PM

My dad called carbonated drinks "dope" because in his day coca-cola contained coca leaves extract. Ha, ha. I guess when he was a teenager he thought he was cool and edgy.

by Anonymousreply 218September 9, 2020 5:45 PM

Better, r217. Much better.

At least that would be weird.

by Anonymousreply 219September 10, 2020 11:12 AM

Your dad R218 would have been 120 years old for that to be true. They stopped doing that in 1903.

by Anonymousreply 220September 10, 2020 12:50 PM

R220, he didn't say his dad said that yesterday. You are aware that many elder queens post here?

by Anonymousreply 221September 11, 2020 5:45 PM

This thread is Eldergay Central. "My dad grew up the Depression" "My dad would be 105 if he were alive today". I'm 36 and that's nearly a decade older than my eldest grandparent (they're all dead now)

by Anonymousreply 222September 11, 2020 5:55 PM

R222, thanks for proving you're capable of 3rd grade arithmetic.

Was there a point, or were you trying to embarrass yourself?

by Anonymousreply 223September 11, 2020 5:57 PM

I love you, r223.

You would’ve gotten a blowjob if you had thrown a “dear” in there right after “was there a point.”

by Anonymousreply 224September 11, 2020 11:26 PM

My dad’s idea of a casserole is Kraft Macaroni & Cheese mixed with peas and tuna fish.

by Anonymousreply 225September 11, 2020 11:34 PM

My dad eats terrible things!

Scrapple sausage Spreadable liverwurst Plain steel cut oats made into oatmeal Triscuits dipped in cottage cheese Triscuits with really really dry sharp white Cabot cheddar cheese Prosciutto. I really, really hate prosciutto. Irish soda bread Smuttynose brand beer Really vinegary red Italian table wine All kinds of weird beef stews Shuba Giardinera Breakfast sausage

I call it the death-wish-diet.

by Anonymousreply 226September 11, 2020 11:44 PM

R220, how would you know, smartass? Don't tell me how old my dad was unless you know how old I am, moron.

by Anonymousreply 227September 11, 2020 11:46 PM

(edited for proper formatting)

My dad eats terrible things!

Scrapple sausage

Spreadable liverwurst

Plain steel cut oats made into oatmeal

Triscuits dipped in cottage cheese

Triscuits with really really dry sharp white Cabot cheddar cheese

Prosciutto. I really, really hate prosciutto.

Irish soda bread

Smuttynose brand beer

Really vinegary red Italian table wine

All kinds of weird beef stews

Shuba

Giardinera

Breakfast sausage

I call it the death-wish-diet.

by Anonymousreply 228September 11, 2020 11:47 PM

R225, that really sounds delicious.

by Anonymousreply 229September 11, 2020 11:52 PM

R229, I tried it once and it wasn’t bad. The tuna was a bit overpowering but the peas were a decent complement.

by Anonymousreply 230September 11, 2020 11:55 PM

Great thread, OP.

by Anonymousreply 231September 12, 2020 12:20 AM

R228, what's so hateful about prosciutto? Do you hate ham? Or bacon? I don't eat meat anymore but my memories of prosciutto and everything else derived from pork are more than fond.

by Anonymousreply 232September 12, 2020 3:35 AM

My dad liked clam chowder made from canned clams and milk with a little butter, salt and pepper. Blech! But I'm glad he enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 233September 12, 2020 3:49 AM

Braunschweiger sandwiches and sardine sandwiches.

(I actually grew to love braunschweiger sandwiches with mayo, a slice of sweet onion and lettuce.)

by Anonymousreply 234September 12, 2020 3:54 AM

R232 prosciutto is cured meat, not just regular pork and it smells really bad. The stringy, chewy texture is horrible, too.

by Anonymousreply 235September 12, 2020 8:19 AM

r232 I love practically everything Italian, but I don't care much for prosciutto because of what r235 calls the stringy, chewy texture. Instead, if possible, I ask for speck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236September 12, 2020 8:26 AM

R75, sliced cucumbers and onions in iced vinegar sounds like a less expensive version of a standard German and German American dish, gurkensalat. It's one of those dishes which has as many varieties as there are German grandmothers but the third ingredient is some sort of milk product, ideally sour cream. Our out of the Depression era variety just used milk, which was disgusting. Iced, no. But the mixture ohne milk or sour cream is usually kept in frig overnight to marinate. Parsley (in my house) or better dill is added at the end. Or not, if you are really poor.

by Anonymousreply 237September 12, 2020 10:48 AM

[quote] I ask for speck.

That sounds a little racist. I’ve got my eye on you!

by Anonymousreply 238September 12, 2020 11:43 AM

My mom.

by Anonymousreply 239September 12, 2020 10:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!