Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Viola Davis sick of being called the “Black Meryl Streep”

It’s an old video but it’s been making the rounds again on Twitter. I love her, and she’s right. I’d consider seeing anything she’s in on her name and talent alone, so why can’t she get better roles?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262April 18, 2021 7:20 AM

Poor Viola.

by Anonymousreply 1July 3, 2020 5:13 AM

And I'm tired of being called the Queen of Siam.

by Anonymousreply 2July 3, 2020 5:21 AM

She sounds so arrogant and entitled in that. She lists all her career achievements. She's had her share of good roles. What does she expect to become an action star like Sig when she's 50 something?

by Anonymousreply 3July 3, 2020 5:25 AM

[quote] I’d consider seeing anything she’s in on her name and talent alone, so why can’t she get better roles?

And all she gets is just to be the highly paid lead of an prestigious network drama series!

How she [bold]suffers![/bold]

by Anonymousreply 4July 3, 2020 5:27 AM

R3 Why does she sound arrogant? She has to speak up for her accomplishments because she isn’t being given the same opportunities as her contemporaries. She doesn’t want Sigourney Weaver’s 20s, she wants the variety, breadth and depth of roles being created and offered to those other actors. An actor of her caliber shouldn’t have to be in Suicide Squad, but it beats playing the maid again

by Anonymousreply 5July 3, 2020 5:29 AM

Who could blame her? She's LOTS more talented than THAT! (Of course, aren't we all?)

by Anonymousreply 6July 3, 2020 5:43 AM

She gets better roles nowadays than both Sigourney and Julianne. When was the last time those two had a big film? And Meryl is much more versatile than any of them.

by Anonymousreply 7July 3, 2020 6:03 AM

Can she get butts in the seats? They aren't going to pay her $20 million per film if they don't perform well at the box office.

by Anonymousreply 8July 3, 2020 6:08 AM

Viola Davis is EXHAUSTING.

She's still whining and bitching as if "Hollywood" is some centralized institution where she can't get a raise, but everyone else can! Hon, it's show business, there are no rules and there is no fairness!

Look sister, you are clearly in the top 2% of SAG-AFTRA members and have been a working actress for many years. If you have a problem with your compensation fire your agent, and feel free to turn down any job that doesn't suit you for any reason. Many other fields of work are wide open if acting causes you such trauma!

African Americans are 13% of the population, so by dint of that, it's going to be more challenging to STAR in and get paid big bucks for being in a movie that must appeal broadly to moviegoers who skew young and male. Films with universal themes work best, niche projects just don't generate the cash you think you deserve!

Viola Davis is over fifty, not gorgeous, and doesn't do comedy at all. As a matter of fact, she is usually snot-nosed in and out of character, whining and complaining about her pay, or giving really nutty self-important diatribes about "the work" as if anybody gives a shit about ACK-TORS from the THEAT-AH, talking about their process. She's a total downer and seems to have zero awareness that she is a caricature of a self-involved artiste!

Even if I had a good role for her, I probably wouldn't hire her. Why would I, so she can wait until the check clears and then badmouth me, and my film? Leading with gratitude hasn't occurred to her because she has issues of grandiosity. I'd love to see her taxes and see what she earns, I'm sure it is plenty. She should try starring in a big blockbuster like "Avatar" and then maybe she can get a raise like Sigourney Weaver, but the fact is, people don't go to see Viola Davis movies, especially young black people. Tyler Perry ain't gonna pay her much at all, he's really cheap, plus she can't play comedy which Streep and Weaver can.

by Anonymousreply 9July 3, 2020 6:11 AM

At least she has stopped trumpeting how sexy she is and how she should be regarded that way.

by Anonymousreply 10July 3, 2020 6:14 AM

I like her rant and definitely wish black actresses fared better but she’s not bankable plus she didn’t get famous until she was in her 40’s. Plus she is not beautiful so what does she expect?

by Anonymousreply 11July 3, 2020 6:14 AM

I like her rant and definitely wish black actresses fared better but she’s not bankable plus she didn’t get famous until she was in her 40’s. Plus she is not beautiful so what does she expect?

by Anonymousreply 12July 3, 2020 6:14 AM

She flatters herself.

by Anonymousreply 13July 3, 2020 6:17 AM

Tsk tsk, such hostility....Viola, darling, never forget: you is kind, you is smart, you is impo'htant!

by Anonymousreply 14July 3, 2020 6:19 AM

She can go fuck herself!!! She's lucky she's not working at Spencer's Gifts in her local mall !!! No one cares about her black privilege problems! If you're a working actor in Hollywood, you should sit down, shut up, and be grateful-- because you have it way better than 99% percent of this country!

by Anonymousreply 15July 3, 2020 6:23 AM

They tried to make her a star but I think at her age it’s character parts, unless you can bring in the money honey. Get a new agent. Don’t call us, we’ll call you.

by Anonymousreply 16July 3, 2020 6:23 AM

See its like I always say, Supporting Actress is such a sewer. She's like Monique, Melissa Leo, AnnE, all nuts. After winning a Supporting award you really have to redeem yourself quickly with a lead win like Jess and I did.

by Anonymousreply 17July 3, 2020 6:24 AM

You just know S. Epatha Merkerson is rolling her eyes at Viola Davis.

by Anonymousreply 18July 3, 2020 6:27 AM

At least she's not being called "Aunt Jemima".

by Anonymousreply 19July 3, 2020 6:32 AM

This is from a few years ago. I think now she should produce her own material like all the other middle aged women that she aspires to be. Reach for the stars, Viola!

by Anonymousreply 20July 3, 2020 6:33 AM

Did anyone really refer to her as the black Meryl Streep? I mean, besides Viola herself?

by Anonymousreply 21July 3, 2020 6:40 AM

95% of Hollywood screenwriters are white men. Shockingly, they write movies about...white men.

There needs to be more diversity at that level before there can be parity in terms of roles.

by Anonymousreply 22July 3, 2020 6:48 AM

Reese, Nicole, they all produce to stay in the business. Complaining may be why Viola is not offered much, but if she wants great roles the. she needs to produce and show audiences are interested. No middle age woman can expect to be catered to.

by Anonymousreply 23July 3, 2020 7:02 AM

She IS a bit full of herself, isn't she?

by Anonymousreply 24July 3, 2020 7:14 AM

Forcing "diversity" on someone's else's art/commerce you aren't attending, or paying for isn't accomplishing anything, but it seems to be a popular solution.

I hope Viola isn't taking a job away from a trans (MtF!) actor! Then, indignant or not, we'd have to cancel her!

by Anonymousreply 25July 3, 2020 7:17 AM

According to IMDB, she's going to star in the 'Untitled Harriet Tubman Project'. I thought we just had 'Harriet' last year. Was Julia Roberts not available for the reboot?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 3, 2020 7:22 AM

"I'm sick of being called the black sheep Meryl Streep."

by Anonymousreply 27July 3, 2020 7:45 AM

[quote] She sounds so arrogant and entitled in that.

She’s pretty wacky and egotistical to think she’s anywhere near as good an actress as Meryl Streep. Her ridiculous performance in HTGAWM after season one has cemented her as a B or C actress.

by Anonymousreply 28July 3, 2020 8:16 AM

She earned $250,000 an episode for HTGAWM and is a commercially unproven film actress who got famous in her 40s. Cry me a fucking river.

by Anonymousreply 29July 3, 2020 8:22 AM

Octavia Spencer is sick of being called "the next Viola Davis" 😏

by Anonymousreply 30July 3, 2020 9:35 AM

Who calls her that ? Never heard that in my life. She’s talented but she doesn’t have the range. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 31July 3, 2020 1:11 PM

White people are so evil yet they constantly want them to give them jobs. Get together and make your own movies. Then you can play whatever you want. If Tyler Perry can do it, it can't be hard

by Anonymousreply 32July 3, 2020 1:23 PM

Bea Arthur’s joke about Esther Rolle comes to mind...

“My name is Viola Davis, I don’t do windows and I don’t do comedy.”

And of course she opened up her Oscar acceptance speech by talking about a graveyard. I still like Viola, but it seems like she can just never lighten up.

by Anonymousreply 33July 3, 2020 1:45 PM

[quote]And Meryl is much more versatile than any of them.

It's easy to be versatile when you get first dibs on every 55 and over female role out there.

If other actresses had the same opportunities as Streep has been handed over the last decade, they could do just as well, if not even better.

by Anonymousreply 34July 3, 2020 1:45 PM

I freaking love Viola Davis

by Anonymousreply 35July 3, 2020 1:46 PM

Viola is much better than the overrated M.

by Anonymousreply 36July 3, 2020 1:49 PM

"You can call me anything you like, honey. Just get me off 'NCIS: New Orleans' and offer me a challenging role I can sink my teeth into."

by Anonymousreply 37July 3, 2020 1:55 PM

R30 Octavia Spencer is awesome and actually versatile actress. I like V.D., but from what i've seen of her work, it seems to me that she doesn't have many layers.

by Anonymousreply 38July 3, 2020 2:09 PM

Viola Davis always plays the same character: a woman who cries dramatically into a mirror at some point during the film.

by Anonymousreply 39July 3, 2020 2:18 PM

R9- She sounds like a FEMALE version of Spike Lee who is always WHINING and COMPLAINING.

by Anonymousreply 40July 3, 2020 2:18 PM

She was in Doubt with Meryl Streep. Great movie and casting. Her role was small but I remember her clearly. She is a good actress. I think her murder show jumped the shark though.

by Anonymousreply 41July 3, 2020 2:19 PM

She’s a character actress but wants to be seen as a leading lady. That’s why she never shuts the fuck up about how “sexualized” she is.

Furthermore, she’s not an actor that puts asses in movie theater seats even though there not a lot of those left. She needs to go down the producer route following in the footsteps of Reese and Nicole. If you’re a woman of a certain age in Hollywood, you need to either produce your own projects or do television if you want to keep working.

by Anonymousreply 42July 3, 2020 2:30 PM

Since she's complaining, we can now start calling her "the Black Karen."

by Anonymousreply 43July 3, 2020 2:37 PM

Viola -- it could be worse. They could be calling you "Black Glenn Close."

by Anonymousreply 44July 3, 2020 2:37 PM

Viola, you're a great actress but please stop saying how sexy you are. You're painful to look at.

by Anonymousreply 45July 3, 2020 2:39 PM

She arguably has a better career than Moore right now. Weaver hasn’t done anything of note in years. Meryl is well...Meryl and has been at it for over forty years. Even Meryl doesn’t have two Tonys. If she wants more money, she will have to do Suicide Sequels or work more. But she is a bit of a whiner. Glad she won the Oscar. It shut her mouth as far as that one goes.

by Anonymousreply 46July 3, 2020 2:48 PM

I would say, that she is the Cicely Tyson of her generation.

by Anonymousreply 47July 3, 2020 3:06 PM

Meryl Streep has been nominated 21 times., 13 times (with two wins) before she was 55, Viola Davis’ age. Davis has been nominated 3 times, with one win.

The idea that her talent or career is comparable to Streep’s is ludicrous. She has shown a limited range, no ability for comedy or romance, and no ability to draw audiences.

by Anonymousreply 48July 3, 2020 3:10 PM

She's more like the female Denzel Washington

by Anonymousreply 49July 3, 2020 3:17 PM

I think Viola is talented, but I'd go with Alfre Woodard as the most talented black actress. She also has more range and can do comedy and has a lot of likeability, as needed.

by Anonymousreply 50July 3, 2020 3:27 PM

I love Viola’s acting but she clearly gets more work than Sigourney Weaver. I can’t remember the last time she was in a movie other than that Alien reboot (she was in that right?).

by Anonymousreply 51July 3, 2020 3:36 PM

R48 She doesn't have the range

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 3, 2020 3:49 PM

Sigourney is doing a movie that was originally supposed to be Meryl: The Good House.

Viola is a big complainer. She has gotten more breaks than most and is respected. For a woman in her 50’s, please don’t expect the phone to ring off the hook.

by Anonymousreply 53July 3, 2020 5:22 PM

If her acting career is sagging, there are other ways to get attention.

by Anonymousreply 54July 3, 2020 5:34 PM

I think the agent said, “You’re black, not Meryl Streep” and Viola told people he said she was the black Meryl Streep. Dementia can start at an early age.

by Anonymousreply 55July 3, 2020 5:40 PM

A violin for Viola is playing somewhere...

by Anonymousreply 56July 3, 2020 5:44 PM

Remember when she campaigning HARD AS FUCK for an oscar, and she told the story of the ONE time she was called the N-word. She was walking home from school to the "Wrong side of the railroad tracks" (probably in an affluent area that she lived in because her parents weren't poor) and someone yelled the word! Not necessarily at HER, but she was traumatized to the core!!!

BITCH, DO YOU HOW MANY TIMES I WAS CALLED FAGGOT??? WHILE BEING CHASED AND BEATEN UP??? DO YOU KNOW HOW SCARY THAT IS FOR A CHILD??? FUCK OFF!!!

by Anonymousreply 57July 3, 2020 5:49 PM

R50 Woodard is a perfect example. She’s quietly won 4 Emmys, works non stop, and is grateful for what she has. To be a working actor is more than 95 percent of the battle. I like Viola, but is she feels this way she should produce her own films. That’s where the real money is in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 58July 3, 2020 5:55 PM

Can she sing? At least Meryl has branched out to musicals (Mamma Mia; Into the Woods.)

by Anonymousreply 59July 3, 2020 10:23 PM

[quote]At least Meryl has branched out to musicals (Mamma Mia; Into the Woods.)

All of which can be played at parties for the amusement of your guests.

by Anonymousreply 60July 3, 2020 10:25 PM

Yes, Glenn, I'm sure that your Society of Chicks with Dicks get-togethers are most amusing

by Anonymousreply 61July 3, 2020 10:30 PM

so many racist gay boys with the same old tired taste in what they like.

grow up and join the rest of us in the 21st century ladies.

by Anonymousreply 62July 3, 2020 10:32 PM

This explains why she is not cast much

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 3, 2020 10:34 PM

Streep, etc became famous when they were young. Their career path was not the same as Viola, who never will be a film star. I hope she finds peace.

by Anonymousreply 64July 3, 2020 10:38 PM

I’d love to see Viola in a leading role.

by Anonymousreply 65July 3, 2020 10:55 PM

That’s great! I’m sure she’s listed so give her a jingle.

by Anonymousreply 66July 3, 2020 11:08 PM

I like Viola Davis, but Regina King, Kerry Washington, and Octavia Spencer all have more range, and are more likable than she is.

by Anonymousreply 67July 3, 2020 11:08 PM

The one who should be a star is Lupita Nying’o.

I love Gabrielle Union and Kerrry Washington too.

The funny thing is that Viola IS now doing better than Sigourney and Julianne

by Anonymousreply 68July 3, 2020 11:12 PM

She sounds like Jada Pinkett if Jada gave up pussy and had a little more class.

by Anonymousreply 69July 3, 2020 11:21 PM

[quote] Why does she sound arrogant? She has to speak up for her accomplishments because she isn’t being given the same opportunities as her contemporaries.

She doesn't sound arrogant.

Some people have a real problem with others (especially black women) listing their actual accomplishments.

And everything she's saying is right.

Hell even here the only time you see a Viola Davis related thread is when people are going to make fun of her. The little film gays never mention her but will gush over Julianne Moore. She is just as accomplished as she is.

And in person Viola is INCREDIBLY nice as is her usual stand-in she regularly works with on productions.

[quote]I like Viola Davis, but Regina King, Kerry Washington, and Octavia Spencer all have more range, and are more likable than she is.

Viola and Regina are almost on the same level acting wise.

Kerry and Ocatvia don't have their range. The idea that you'd include Kerry in the same breath as the others is laughable.

You might as well have said Halle Berry.

Viola has the gravitas none of the others naturally possess.

Lupita should be a bigger star but she has an entirely different problem than the others.

by Anonymousreply 70July 3, 2020 11:24 PM

Also agree that Octavia is very talented

Viola please find your director and material

These rules have been posted for years

by Anonymousreply 71July 3, 2020 11:24 PM

Octavia needs to drop that mmmm hmmm oh no you don't fat sassy domestic worker of some kind act.

by Anonymousreply 72July 3, 2020 11:28 PM

IMHO if the successful people including POC are not hiring you, maybe it’s an appeal issue? Viola has turned in several great performances on film so I am not sure what she is asking for? Better script offers? The system doesn’t work that way unless you are desired both behind and in front of the camera.

by Anonymousreply 73July 3, 2020 11:30 PM

Making her a pie as I type.

by Anonymousreply 74July 3, 2020 11:43 PM

R70, you can like Viola Davis without a) making up shit b) expressing (internalized) homophobia. The “little film gays” are not at all concerned with Julianne Moore, since it is not 2005. There have been plenty who admire Viola Davis’ work, while noting her terrible professional instincts.

by Anonymousreply 75July 3, 2020 11:44 PM

Maybe her point is they had many opportunities why didn’t I? I would say her age and no box office. Her path has been The Help to that Netflix comedy about summer camp. You have to be a muse. Or produce

by Anonymousreply 76July 4, 2020 12:07 AM

I always thought she was more like the black Someone-Else.

by Anonymousreply 77July 4, 2020 12:24 AM

She sounds like she has entitlement-attitude where she expects roles to just be given to her. She complains about having to get on the phone and beg for roles. Guess what, Meryl had to beg for the role in Sophie's Choice when she was already an Oscar winner at that point.

by Anonymousreply 78July 4, 2020 1:39 AM

I like Viola Davis, and she is a superb actress, but she isnt in the same league as Streep. Seriously. Viola Davis always plays a version of herself. Im not knocking it, it suits her abilities well, but she lacks versatility.

by Anonymousreply 79July 4, 2020 2:01 AM

She's unpretty for a leading lady. If she looks like Halle Berry or Kerry Washington, then maybe?

by Anonymousreply 80July 4, 2020 2:06 AM

O Viola. You're fiftysomething and doing TV. You have peaked my dear. Face it.

by Anonymousreply 81July 4, 2020 2:21 AM

Viola w Meryl going face to face. Great acting from both actors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82July 4, 2020 2:24 AM

Streep? No. She is the Black Cloris Leachman.

by Anonymousreply 83July 4, 2020 2:38 AM

Meryl Sweety...

by Anonymousreply 84July 4, 2020 2:39 AM

R23 is right. And she's already worked with Shonda Rhimes, who put her in a starring role in the top spot on Thursdays, where Shonda had every prime-time ABC series . Personally, she does seem more like a character actor to me and I was a bit surprised by the Shonda show starring role.

by Anonymousreply 85July 4, 2020 3:32 AM

I'm also an actor about Viola Davis' age, I didn't know she went to Juilliard. I would have liked to have gone to Juilliard....but, as the brilliant Joe Mankiewicz wrote in "All About Eve",

"I wish I'd gone to Radcliffe too but father wouldn't hear of it - he needed help at the notions counter."

Someone needs to tell her Hollywood is a game, and the winners at least pretend to be likable and gracious!

by Anonymousreply 86July 4, 2020 3:32 AM

Is "G" Glenn Close or Gwyneth Paltrow or someone else?

by Anonymousreply 87July 4, 2020 3:36 AM

I see her more as the Black Shirley Booth.

by Anonymousreply 88July 4, 2020 3:46 AM

[quote]Is "G" Glenn Close or Gwyneth Paltrow or someone else?

It's for Gandhi, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 89July 4, 2020 3:47 AM

They all think they can but most can't.

by Anonymousreply 90July 4, 2020 3:49 AM

Poor Viola. At least M never had to resort to a TV series

by Anonymousreply 91July 4, 2020 3:50 AM

[quote] —Miss Julia Roberts, America's Sweetie 1.0

Bitch, you're more like 29.0

by Anonymousreply 92July 4, 2020 3:51 AM

My partner loves to “act” like Viola Davis— straight face, talks with intensity about some mundane thing, ending with tears

by Anonymousreply 93July 4, 2020 3:51 AM

I do not care.

by Anonymousreply 94July 4, 2020 3:54 AM

It's better than being the Black Joyce DeWitt!

by Anonymousreply 95July 4, 2020 4:12 AM

R91, Meryl was a supporting character in S2 of 'Big Little Lies' and has said she wants to come back if they do a S3. She was amazing in it, of course, and acted circles around Reese, Nicole, Laura Dern, and that other one (the girl who never bathes...Shirline?).

by Anonymousreply 96July 4, 2020 4:18 AM

People need to not forget Meryl has a history of swimming in the TV pool.

by Anonymousreply 97July 4, 2020 4:24 AM

Viola was.in Widows - that flopped

Cynthia from Harriet and others are hotter at moment

by Anonymousreply 98July 4, 2020 4:25 AM

Julia could never come back after kids. She can’t even get nominated anymore

by Anonymousreply 99July 4, 2020 4:26 AM

Viola is just bitter that I beat her for one of those cleaning lady films she does. Funny. She did manage to have the loser reactions scrubbed from the Academy's youtube station of my third win.

Remember this was when she so dramatically didn't wear a wig and was going to inspire little girls everywhere to be natural. Oh well. Did she wear a wig when she eventually won. I don;t follow the supporting categories.

by Anonymousreply 100July 4, 2020 4:28 AM

r87 G is Glenn Close

www.goop.com is Gwyneth

Viola should be referred to as VD.

by Anonymousreply 101July 4, 2020 4:30 AM

I understand why Viola is talented, but isn't really a big deal. But I don't understand why Angela wasn't a Big, Big deal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102July 4, 2020 4:34 AM

r102 she's too butch

by Anonymousreply 103July 4, 2020 4:35 AM

Julia has 1 nomination after kids. And she mopped the floor with Meryl to get it.

by Anonymousreply 104July 4, 2020 4:40 AM

It was just a supporting nomination r104. Barely counts.

by Anonymousreply 105July 4, 2020 4:41 AM

Oh my sides. Bless you for trying

by Anonymousreply 106July 4, 2020 4:42 AM

Meryl @106 are you availabe for pilot season? My friend Jules recommended you.

by Anonymousreply 107July 4, 2020 4:48 AM

R98, Widows flopped, but in ten years people will be talking about it far more than Fences. With its subject matter and pedigree, it was almost designed to die at the box office yet be resurrected by film geeks.

by Anonymousreply 108July 4, 2020 4:54 AM

What really matters now is what she can do to bet a Grammy and complete her EGOT. It’s easier for comedians like Whoopi who can do a stand up album.

by Anonymousreply 109July 4, 2020 5:11 AM

She could produce some biopics. Problem is she's more suitable for the Hattie McDaniel story while she thinks she's more suitable for the Halle Berry story.

by Anonymousreply 110July 4, 2020 5:14 AM

All she needs to do is a spoken word album, R110. It shouldn’t be difficult to find the right project. (Jeremy Irons, Glenda Jackson, Jessica Lange, Frances McDormand, Helen Mirren, Al Pacino, Christopher Plummer, Vanessa Redgrave, Geoffrey Rush and Maggie Smith are the other living actors who only need the Grammy; Davis is the youngest, and probably the only one who cares).

by Anonymousreply 111July 4, 2020 5:19 AM

Miss Davis would be assured a Grammy if she narrated the audiobook version of this classic bio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112July 4, 2020 5:23 AM

Whoopi should not have an Oscar. Awful performance in a ridiculous movie that actually showed you shadows of ghosts and it didn't make you laugh. I laughed til the credits.

by Anonymousreply 113July 4, 2020 5:24 AM

Whoopi's EGOT is suspect all around. The Tony is just for investing in Throughly Modern Millie (after she for some reason didn't take the part meant for her) and the Emmy is just a daytime Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 114July 4, 2020 5:26 AM

No one will be talking about Widows. That movie is awful

Reese, Nicole and Jennifer Aniston are all bigger than Julia now. All of her comeback projects have been flops and good riddance. Complete CU_T

by Anonymousreply 115July 4, 2020 5:46 AM

Bitch please R115 rebranding as a TV personality is nothing short of embarrassing. .

by Anonymousreply 116July 4, 2020 6:23 AM

She tries hard to be sexy and... she's not. That limits the roles she's offered.

She's a good actress but I find she doesn't have a lot of range. It's always those intense powerful monlogues that are her strong suit.

by Anonymousreply 117July 4, 2020 7:01 AM

Isn't there a nice maid role for her?

by Anonymousreply 118July 4, 2020 7:04 AM

I always have to laugh at Viola talking about her character in HTGAWM like she’s playing Lady Macbeth or something. ANNALISE this and ANNALISE that. Bitch, please. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 119July 4, 2020 7:37 AM

R119 I dipped out after season 2 but I was so disappointed in her character. She was written as if she was this ball busting mastermind, but every other episode she was sobbing on her hands and knees to some character or other begging for forgiveness for being a fucking idiot. Glad the show was a hit for her but I want better for Viola

by Anonymousreply 120July 4, 2020 7:39 AM

R116, thank you! These bitches love to drag Julia as if she didn't single-handedly dominate the 90s with her romcoms and becoming the first actress to receive 20 million per picture.

Reese, Nicole, and Jennifer Aniston were never on Julia's level and never will be.

by Anonymousreply 121July 4, 2020 7:56 AM

An easy comparison for Viola is to look at the roles that get award nominations and ask yourself whether a black woman would seriously be considered for those roles, i.e. taking into account historical accuracy. And even then would having a black actress change the dynamic of the role - i.e. Sally Hawkins in The Shape Of Water and Frances McDormand in Three Billboards. Both films covered racism towards other characters.

How would a black actress playing Amy on Gone Girl have changed the dynamic of the [SPOILER ALERT] scheming manipulative bitch?

10 of the last 20 Best Actress winners have played real life white women.

by Anonymousreply 122July 4, 2020 8:18 AM

They are beyond Julia’s level. Where have you been? The 1990’s are over.

Viola doesn’t have the range or appeal to play those roles. Audiences would shrug, huh?

by Anonymousreply 123July 4, 2020 3:35 PM

Being called a faggot is traumatic.

Being called a n8**34 is traumatic.

It’s not a fucking contest!!

by Anonymousreply 124July 4, 2020 4:25 PM

r107 Ryan ... Isn't Meryl appearing in your version of "The Prom?"

by Anonymousreply 125July 4, 2020 5:13 PM

Viola is...a suspicious large woman.

by Anonymousreply 126July 4, 2020 6:17 PM

If Viola Davis had a publicist they would stop her from giving these types of interviews forever.

by Anonymousreply 127July 4, 2020 7:19 PM

Viola is sick of all you racist bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128July 4, 2020 7:38 PM

Viola is sick of all you racist bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129July 4, 2020 7:40 PM

Her age isnt helping her either. Shes not exactly an ingenue.

by Anonymousreply 130July 4, 2020 10:24 PM

Viola is not suffering

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131July 4, 2020 10:41 PM

Can we start calling her BLEEP? Or BLERYL?

by Anonymousreply 132July 4, 2020 10:47 PM

She’s more like CHERYL Streep!

by Anonymousreply 133July 4, 2020 10:50 PM

Good casting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134July 4, 2020 11:45 PM

I’d like to say this diplomatically, but she’s fugly as fuck. That’s what weighs on her career.

by Anonymousreply 135July 5, 2020 9:42 AM

Is she lamenting the lack of roles, or the lack of paychecks? She earned more money from her run on HTGAWM than most will make in a lifetime. If it's about the work, move back to NYC and devote yourself to the theatre. I don't hear Audra McDonald complaining.

by Anonymousreply 136July 5, 2020 11:33 AM

You bitches dare not call me the white Viola Davis.

by Anonymousreply 137July 5, 2020 11:53 AM

R136 it's the money. She said in the same interview she should be paid the same. And great point, Audra is a better actress than snooty Viola but hasn't had half her chances.

by Anonymousreply 138July 5, 2020 12:09 PM

She’s not ugly r135. I think that she is attractive. She should wear her natural hair more, though. The wigs look artificial on someone with her strong African features.

Ugly, we can agree to disagree about that.

by Anonymousreply 139July 5, 2020 2:13 PM

Without her makeup and wig, she’s indistinguishable from a man, a super fugly man.

by Anonymousreply 140July 5, 2020 4:16 PM

Why don’t people pay me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141July 5, 2020 4:21 PM

I don’t recall Meryl drowning in snot when she cries in a film.

by Anonymousreply 142July 5, 2020 4:26 PM

Viola's point in this is that (some people) call her "the black Meryl Streep", as a compliment. Viola has latched onto this.

In this interview she then questions why she isn't paid the same. She completely fails to understand that Meryl is paid not for her reputation but for the amount of money her movies make.

Lots of Meryl's contempories (apart from not getting any leading roles) don't get paid that much either. Salary is in line with expected profit.

The likes of JLO, Cameron Diaz. Jlaw, Reese, Emma Stone etc each have earned much more for movies than Streep. Again, Viola wants something to complain about and won't recognise Streep is paid more because the studio expects good returns.

If Viola could open movies and had box office clout, her salary would rise.

by Anonymousreply 143July 5, 2020 4:32 PM

Agree. It’s unfortunate that she is promoting this belief. It implies she should make the same salary because she went to a good school and won awards.

She started late and has not proved she can open a film. Why would she be paid more because of her school or awards? Audiences don’t care and studios don’t think this way.

Viola is a character actress, not a movie star. I hope she continues to do well but complaining when you have a $12 million fortune doesn’t ring true.

by Anonymousreply 144July 5, 2020 4:41 PM

If Viola is the black Meryl Streep, who is the black Glenn Close?

I would say Mo'nique, but at least Mo'nique has an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 145July 5, 2020 4:43 PM

PS, at least Viola has a film in the can (Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom). If that does well and she gets an Oscar nomination, then she will be in the top tier. It it fizzles, then it’s back to the drawing board like everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 146July 5, 2020 5:27 PM

Think Viola is ugly? Meryl and Glenn aren’t great beauties either, but their talent is focused on more because white privilege...

by Anonymousreply 147July 5, 2020 6:04 PM

Of course there is white privilege. No one is denying that. However, Viola started late as a character actress. Has she ever played the love interest in a movie? No, because she is too homely for anyone to believe that. Could any number of the other talented black actresses listed here convincingly play a love interest? Yes. Viola wants what she can’t have.

by Anonymousreply 148July 5, 2020 6:28 PM

I like her but Vi sounds deluded if she ever believed she could be a leading lady. She has a very masculine energy, isn't a great beauty like say Halle and many times seems to be acting in a bubble with her partner right in front of her. She overacts and goes into overwrought unnecessary theatrics and stops communicating with the other actor. That's why I liked her contained work in Doubt the most of her portrayals.

by Anonymousreply 149July 5, 2020 6:35 PM

She thinks she should be paid based on her education and competence of her work, as if she’s in a profession like medicine or education. She doesn’t understand that Hollywood is a money-making enterprise. She’s creating a product, a film, for sale. If nobody wants to pay to see it, then you’re shit out of luck, Miss Davis.

by Anonymousreply 150July 5, 2020 7:02 PM

Has Denzel Washington ever done a sex scene or a romantic comedy? Not that I can think of. Would Tyler Perry ever do a romantic comedy with Viola as the lead? No chance.

by Anonymousreply 151July 5, 2020 7:08 PM

Don’t you know who I am???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152July 5, 2020 7:23 PM

Boo hoo.

by Anonymousreply 153July 5, 2020 7:27 PM

Viola Davis is beautiful to me, striking even. She has a gorgeous dark brown complexion and like Lupita, looks stunning wearing light colors. She may not be sexy, but she's regal.

by Anonymousreply 154July 6, 2020 12:12 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155July 6, 2020 12:21 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156July 6, 2020 12:22 AM

I didn’t know she had fallen on hard times! Condolences

by Anonymousreply 157July 6, 2020 12:27 AM

Viola is talented and seems like a sweet woman. But she doesnt have the work pedigree of the women she named. Theey have been around for decades leading in films (with the exception of Sigpurney who has been MIA for years).

by Anonymousreply 158July 6, 2020 12:27 AM

I totally forgot that Viola Davis played ANOTHER maid, her massah was Julianne Moore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159July 6, 2020 12:43 AM

[quote]...and many times seems to be acting in a bubble with her partner right in front of her. She overacts and goes into overwrought unnecessary theatrics and stops communicating with the other actor.

An acting teacher I know calls this "Big Bad Acting"! I agree.

by Anonymousreply 160July 6, 2020 1:15 AM

I would love to see her act with the DL Queen of Unnecessary Theatrics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161July 6, 2020 4:09 AM

R161 that's fucking hilarious! If Viola was playing that scene there would be snot dripping, tears flowing, lip quivering.

by Anonymousreply 162July 6, 2020 12:12 PM

Viola would have been haranguing that white woman, telling her all the suffr'in black women have endured for ovah 200 years! Someone off camera would have asked them to keep it down and Viola would have screamed I WILL NOT BE SILENT ANY LONGER!

by Anonymousreply 163July 6, 2020 2:47 PM

Oooh, my white guilt level keeps on risin’!

by Anonymousreply 164July 6, 2020 3:12 PM

I thought Viola intended to go into grave-digging, so she could exhume the bodies to tell their stories? This was largely prompted by many people continuously asking her what sort of stories she wanted to tell..

by Anonymousreply 165July 6, 2020 3:17 PM

It's a shame she gets called the black Meryl Streep, considering Viola can actually act and convincingly emote. In every single role I've ever seen Meryl in I've felt like she was playing herself, or at least some part of her. It never felt like I was watching a character, it just felt like watching Meryl Streep.

Viola on the other hand can actually convincingly immerse you into her roles.

by Anonymousreply 166July 6, 2020 3:38 PM

M. has more range than Viola. Can Viola do comedy. Has she ever done comedy?

by Anonymousreply 167July 6, 2020 3:43 PM

She has the career Octavia Spencer deserves. Octavia is far more talented, can deliver emotional performances with subtlety (unlike the mannish wailing Viola does on HTGAWM), and on top of it all Octavia is genuinely a nice person and a pleasure to work with.

But unlike Viola, Octavia hasn't been getting starring roles in acclaimed TV shows. The most she's gotten is the starring role in a B-Horror Movie.

Give Viola Davis' career to Octavia Spencer!!!

by Anonymousreply 168July 6, 2020 3:45 PM

R167 I thought her pompous speeches were an attempt at humor?

by Anonymousreply 169July 6, 2020 3:58 PM

[quote]It's a shame she gets called the black Meryl Streep, considering Viola can actually act and convincingly emote. In every single role I've ever seen Meryl in I've felt like she was playing herself, or at least some part of her. It never felt like I was watching a character, it just felt like watching Meryl Streep.

Meryl hasn't been Meryl in a long time. She has coasted on her reputation and goodwill in the industry.

I love that her fans keep bringing up her number of Oscar nominations. Prada was the last nomination she deserved (and should have won for). She's gotten many nominations based on sheer name recognition and/or filler slots. For someone who's supposed to be the greatest actress in modern times, this doesn't make a good case for it. Watching clips of her in that Witherspoon series is like some sketch comedians take on Streep's acting. It's all broad surfaces and gimmicks.

by Anonymousreply 170July 6, 2020 4:36 PM

Viola, Monique and Wanda Sykes have all made the same complaints. Monique actually came with the receipts to show why she should have been paid more money.

If Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston can get a million dollar an episode paydays for acting in that Morning Show thing on Apple, despite neither being an audience draw in over a decade, then black women who have proven track records can be paid better.

by Anonymousreply 171July 6, 2020 4:44 PM

Streep is probably the most versatile actor ever. She can do light or heavy drama, comedy and musical comedy, and go from glam to plain and keep her audience. She is the only star I can think of - besides Elizabeth Taylor - that got more popular as she aged. Steep is also the first one to be a big box office star post-40.

I don’t think anyone literally meant Viola is the black Meryl Streep because we know Viola is very different. My issue is that Viola has elevated herself to the best black actress, when many others are more talented and versatile.

by Anonymousreply 172July 6, 2020 4:49 PM

Try calling her the "Negro Meryl Streep." Maybe she'll like that more.

by Anonymousreply 173July 6, 2020 5:00 PM

R168, Octavia starred in the heavily hyped 'Red Band Society' in 2014; for whatever reason, it didn't make it. But she continually works and continually doesn't complain, and so people hire her and enjoying working with her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174July 6, 2020 5:03 PM

You don't get paid like Meryl Streep because you're not a box office draw like Streep. You also don't get paid the same as Will Smith. It's not because you're Black.

by Anonymousreply 175July 6, 2020 5:05 PM

[quote]Streep is probably the most versatile actor ever.

No.

[quote]She can do light or heavy drama, comedy and musical comedy, and go from glam to plain and keep her audience.

She can't do sexy.

[quote]She is the only star I can think of - besides Elizabeth Taylor - that got more popular as she aged.

Katharine Hepburn, Angela Lansbury would disagree with you.

[quote]Steep is also the first one to be a big box office star post-40.

Wrong. Marie Dressler was the biggest box office star in the country for several years in the 1930's. And she was older than Streep when she achieved that honor.

by Anonymousreply 176July 6, 2020 5:08 PM

I thought Meryl was sexy in Madison County and Silkwood

by Anonymousreply 177July 6, 2020 5:18 PM

R177, you’ve been in prison since the 80s?

by Anonymousreply 178July 6, 2020 5:21 PM

It's a false equvilency. Whether you think Meryl is great or not, she has the reputation of being the greatest living actress. When Viola beats about being called the black Meryl she is automatically raising herself into that sphere. And as others have pointed out, there are several black actresses more deserving of that recognition

by Anonymousreply 179July 6, 2020 5:21 PM

None of those women were consistent box office stars in their 30’s 40’s, 50’s, 60’s and 70’s.

I get that you don’t like her but she has been a groundbreaking actress.

by Anonymousreply 180July 6, 2020 5:28 PM

Has Vi ever done nudity?

by Anonymousreply 181July 6, 2020 5:30 PM

*equivalency, sorry

by Anonymousreply 182July 6, 2020 5:33 PM

NO!!!

by Anonymousreply 183July 6, 2020 5:33 PM

Meryl Streep as Viola Davis in The Viola Davis Story. Oscar #4.

by Anonymousreply 184July 6, 2020 9:46 PM

r178, BridgesofMC came out in 1995 you annoying little twat.

by Anonymousreply 185July 6, 2020 11:41 PM

Streep had two men after her in It’s Complicated. It was another one of her movies that made over $100 million.

She is so popular that people start talking about her instead of ME!!!

by Anonymousreply 186July 6, 2020 11:57 PM

Meryl lost out on the Oscar for Bridges of Madison County to Berned-Out Cunt Susan Sarandon who won that year.

by Anonymousreply 187July 6, 2020 11:59 PM

No she didn't R187

by Anonymousreply 188July 7, 2020 12:01 AM

[quote]Meryl Streep as Viola Davis in The Viola Davis Story. Oscar #

Over my dead body!

by Anonymousreply 189July 7, 2020 2:46 AM

I can’t wait until Bob the Drag Queen does his impression of Viola’s rant

by Anonymousreply 190July 7, 2020 2:48 AM

Truth is, no one can do what I do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191July 7, 2020 3:24 AM

I have a Mamie, and she plays Mammies.

by Anonymousreply 192July 7, 2020 3:29 AM

Does anyone know what Viola was paid for Suicide Squad? Can she give me a loan?

by Anonymousreply 193July 7, 2020 3:31 AM

Who paid for her to go to Julliard and spend a summer at Circle in the Square theater school AND got to college.

She always makes her childhood sound like she was poverty stricken.

by Anonymousreply 194July 7, 2020 3:33 AM

Probably scholarships R194.

by Anonymousreply 195July 7, 2020 3:35 AM

Barely getting by

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196July 7, 2020 3:36 AM

Only three nominations. She's more the black Susan (Sigourney) Weaver than she is me. I'm well into double digits. Sig just has 3.

by Anonymousreply 197July 7, 2020 3:38 AM

Life goals

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198July 7, 2020 3:39 AM

You can too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199July 7, 2020 3:42 AM

Someone asked upthread who is the black Glenn Close if Viola Davis is the black Meryl Streep? I nominate Angela Bassett.

by Anonymousreply 200July 7, 2020 3:43 AM

Dream big my darling!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201July 7, 2020 3:44 AM

Has anyone suggested a financial advisor?

by Anonymousreply 202July 7, 2020 3:47 AM

[quote] who is the black Glenn Close

Cuba Gooding Jr.

by Anonymousreply 203July 7, 2020 3:48 AM

Hasn’t Viola only been famous for 12 years?

by Anonymousreply 204July 7, 2020 4:01 AM

Spencer is a great everywoman character actress who elevates everything she does even a cheesy horror movie. Whoever said Davis has more range then spencer is nuts. As mentioned above Davis doesn’t do comedy and Spencer can soar in it.

by Anonymousreply 205July 7, 2020 4:07 AM

r194, I believe I've heard her say before that she grew up in abject poverty. Her first cousin is actor, Mike Colter. I wonder how he grew up. That is one talented family.

by Anonymousreply 206July 7, 2020 4:15 AM

As I said to Miss Faye Dunaway when she kept complaining about no roles for older actresses: you have money, hire a writer to write you something and then produce and film it.

by Anonymousreply 207July 7, 2020 4:15 AM

r203, Excuse me one of those people do NOT have an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 208July 7, 2020 4:16 AM

[quote] Spencer is a great everywoman character actress who elevates everything she does even a cheesy horror movie. Whoever said Davis has more range then spencer is nuts. As mentioned above Davis doesn’t do comedy and Spencer can soar in it.

Cheers to that!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209July 7, 2020 4:17 AM

r205, You trolls are always tryna pit black against black. We strong this summer. You cannot destroy our collective greatness.

by Anonymousreply 210July 7, 2020 4:17 AM

Mike Colter is hawt. I never knew that was her cousin.

by Anonymousreply 211July 7, 2020 4:23 AM

Viola, GFY with your Oscar!

by Anonymousreply 212July 7, 2020 4:24 AM

I am going to recite Viola’s rant during my next evaluation

by Anonymousreply 213July 7, 2020 4:45 AM

Octavia was even brutally murdered by MIchael Myers, let Viola top that

by Anonymousreply 214July 7, 2020 11:52 AM

Meryl was probably making less than Viola during her lean years in the 1990s and early 2000s until she started having hits

by Anonymousreply 215July 7, 2020 3:00 PM

I'm the younger Meryl Streep

by Anonymousreply 216July 7, 2020 10:08 PM

Why would anyone want to be a seventeen time Oscar loser?

Aim higher, Viola

by Anonymousreply 217July 7, 2020 10:21 PM

[quote]who is the black Glenn Close

Will Smith.

by Anonymousreply 218July 7, 2020 10:32 PM

R217 18 losses actually

by Anonymousreply 219July 7, 2020 10:34 PM

18 losses simply means the academy voted that she gave one of the top 5 female performances of the year but was not voted as best overall.

by Anonymousreply 220July 7, 2020 10:36 PM

[quote]18 losses simply means the academy voted that she gave one of the top 5 female performances of the year but was not voted as best overall.

She didn't deserve some of those nominations. The Academy should have passed on:

Into The Woods

Julie & Julia

Doubt

by Anonymousreply 221July 7, 2020 10:42 PM

[quote]18 losses simply means the academy voted that she gave one of the top 5 female performances of the year but was not voted as best overall.

Hepburn managed to get four in less tries.

by Anonymousreply 222July 7, 2020 10:46 PM

The Academy should have also passed on The Devil Wears Prada, but I guess saying that is blasphemous around these parts.

by Anonymousreply 223July 7, 2020 11:24 PM

Whether she was judged to be one of the top 5 performances each year depends a great deal on how good or craptastic all other performances were that particular year.

by Anonymousreply 224July 7, 2020 11:36 PM

No one cares about Katharine Hepburn anymore. Her ugly Yankee accent is so grating.

by Anonymousreply 225July 7, 2020 11:55 PM

I swear that they nominated Meryl one year and she didn’t even make a film.

by Anonymousreply 226July 8, 2020 12:04 AM

This is just like real life. People stop talking about Viola and talk about other stars.

by Anonymousreply 227July 8, 2020 12:14 AM

She has done some good things but I think she is overestimating herself.

by Anonymousreply 228July 8, 2020 12:16 AM

Ever see her walk? Very ungraceful.

by Anonymousreply 229July 8, 2020 12:28 AM

Hepburn got sympathy Oscars for Guess Who's and Golden Pond - and 1/2 an Oscar for Lion In Winter. Babs deserved that one all by her lonesome.

by Anonymousreply 230July 8, 2020 4:20 AM

Viola can be very touchy. You should see how offended she was when I asked her to do a little vacuuming the last time she visited my house.

by Anonymousreply 231July 8, 2020 5:25 AM

R222 that means Kate only had 12 times where she gave a top 5 performance

by Anonymousreply 232July 8, 2020 8:03 AM

R229 YES! She has a very odd, stiff, lurching walk with one arm swinging up and down in front of her like a march. For someone who is so good at inhabiting a character it’s a pretty distracting constant across all of her performances.

by Anonymousreply 233July 10, 2020 8:08 PM

I fucking adore Viola. Her performance as Annalise Keating is some of the best I've ever seen on TV shows. She has the right to be pissed about being called "the black Meryl Streep". She's in a league of her own, and should be respected.

by Anonymousreply 234July 10, 2020 8:30 PM

If Viola Davis is the black Meryl Street, what was Cicely Tyson? The black Bette Davis?

by Anonymousreply 235July 10, 2020 8:46 PM

No one calls her that.

by Anonymousreply 236July 10, 2020 8:59 PM

[quote]She has the right to be pissed about being called "the black Meryl Streep".

Then she should stop calling herself that.

by Anonymousreply 237July 10, 2020 11:05 PM

I like her natural hair better than her wigs and weaves. She’s so attractive with the Afro.

by Anonymousreply 238July 11, 2020 1:50 AM

It's a wig, darlin'.

by Anonymousreply 239August 17, 2020 10:19 PM

How about Meryl is the white Viola Davis?

by Anonymousreply 240August 17, 2020 10:25 PM

R18 Or CCH Pounder, even.

by Anonymousreply 241August 17, 2020 10:42 PM

I'm sick of being called the "Jersey City Nancy Cunard" just because I like dark meat and inherited a bit of cash.

by Anonymousreply 242August 17, 2020 10:45 PM

R240 That's illogical. Meryl came first. I happen to agree with Davis, in that I'd initially take that as a compliment. But after a while, it would definitely grate on me.

by Anonymousreply 243August 17, 2020 10:49 PM

As someone else said, she's not Meryl. Meryl has range, she doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 244August 18, 2020 12:11 AM

Ask Harvey about Meryl's range.

Gymnasts wish they were that limber.

by Anonymousreply 245August 18, 2020 12:19 AM

Viola is the only person saying this!

Meryl was too old for Harvey when he wanted to work with her for prestige. She already had clout.

I think Viola seems to be doing better than ever.

by Anonymousreply 246August 18, 2020 12:26 AM

[quote]Hepburn managed to get four in less tries.

Fewer.

by Anonymousreply 247August 18, 2020 1:05 AM

Can Viola play German heroines during the war, or Italian mothers who fall in love with a photographer, or Margaret Thatcher? Didn't think so. And face it, Vi, the kind of movies you like to play in are not exactly the kind they pay 15 dollars for in Pomona. Or in Beverly Hills. THAT is why they are not offering you the kind of money Meryl gets. Or Johnny. Or Gwyneth. Or Denzel.

by Anonymousreply 248August 18, 2020 7:01 AM

And Streep isn't sick of it, Viola?

by Anonymousreply 249August 18, 2020 7:03 AM

Huuuuuge chip on her shoulder that will never cease consequently putting off potential audiences who would otherwise gladly pay to see her except they don't want to be subjected to that endless poor me I'm a victim look how I suffer routine.

by Anonymousreply 250August 18, 2020 4:18 PM

Viol has nowhere near Meryl's box office draw. Meryl has a built in audience who come to see her popcorn movies like Hope Springs, Florence Foster Jenkins, Ricki, The Post, Its Complicated, The Iron Lady, Julie&Julia etc. All those movies made a bundle. Viola doesn't have that same get-asses-on-seats ability, that's why she isn't paid the same.

by Anonymousreply 251August 18, 2020 6:33 PM

Viola Davis is not the black Meryl Streep, Meryl Streep is the white Viola Davis.

by Anonymousreply 252August 18, 2020 6:36 PM

I liked her "no makeup reveal". I'd see a movie with her looking like this playing an everyday woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253August 18, 2020 6:54 PM

She can't do accents.

by Anonymousreply 254August 18, 2020 8:02 PM

I still think she’s doing better now than Julianne Moore and Sigourney Weaver. Hopefully Netflix is paying her a ton of money.

by Anonymousreply 255August 19, 2020 1:27 AM

I know some of you are just being flip for a laugh, but in all seriousness, accents and kooky voices ≠ range. Meryl was serious as a heart attack for 20 years before she really got started on her comedy phase Viola could do it, but that’s not the point.

by Anonymousreply 256August 19, 2020 3:19 AM

Not true, R256. She-Devil, Postcards from the Edge, Death Becomes Her, etc. In theater, Taming of the Shrew. Meryl definitely has a light touch that comes across in everything, even some of her dramatic roles. I am yet to see Viola lighten up, even in interviews. I respect your need to protect her but, accents aside, Viola ain't no Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 257August 19, 2020 8:06 PM

Was her Amanda Waller funny? I never watched that movie.

by Anonymousreply 258August 19, 2020 8:21 PM

No it took Meryl a while to hit her stride as a comedienne.

by Anonymousreply 259August 20, 2020 10:47 PM

It's understandable and reciprocal.

Meryl has been sick of being called "The White Token" for years.

by Anonymousreply 260August 20, 2020 11:20 PM

When does Viola’s Black Bottom come out? She sings as Ma Rainey and wears a fat suit? Break a leg!

by Anonymousreply 261August 21, 2020 12:09 AM

[quote]You just know S. Epatha Merkerson is rolling her eyes at Viola Davis.

Yes! I've been around Patha a number of times and she is extremely candid and not into any bullshit. She's also a total pro and very nice.

by Anonymousreply 262April 18, 2021 7:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!