Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

People who died in freak accidents

The man who fell into a vat of hot chocolate always gets me....what other freak accidents get to you

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151September 1, 2020 1:18 AM

The whole Sam Ballard story is so disgusting, freaky, weird. I'll let you look it up - if you dare.

by Anonymousreply 1July 3, 2020 3:33 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 3, 2020 3:37 AM

Hi....my name is Chris Burrous....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 3, 2020 3:39 AM

I read a story about a kid slipping in the shower on his HS graduation day. He broke his neck and died.

That story haunts me.

by Anonymousreply 4July 3, 2020 3:41 AM

This one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 3, 2020 3:44 AM

I was going to compile a list of artists who met odd deaths. Middleton Manigault believed his hallucinations would enhance his art, but he starved himself to death. J. Frank Currier said goodbye to his brother at the train station then threw himself under the train. Frank Tenney Johnson kissed his hostess good-night after dinner, she died of spinal meningitis a few days later and he a week later. Carel Fanritius, painter of The Goldfinch, died from an armory explosion near his house in Delft. The painter Alfred Maurer (whose work I admire) was forced to live with his father for many years due to poverty. When his father died at the ago of 100 Alfred hung himself a week later.

by Anonymousreply 6July 3, 2020 4:02 AM

^Fabritius

by Anonymousreply 7July 3, 2020 4:03 AM

I forgot to add that Maurer's relationship with his father was extremely unpleasant, I'm sure for both of them. His father was a traditional painter and Alfred was a modernist and they despised each others work.

by Anonymousreply 8July 3, 2020 4:05 AM

Well, I wouldn't exactly call it a "freak" death, but my innate, reflexive, defense mechanism engaged when Mr. Irwin violated my space.

by Anonymousreply 9July 3, 2020 4:08 AM

A young man in my area (I knew his sister) worked in a food factory and one day he slipped and fell into a boiling vat of pickle juice and died. Truth is stranger than fiction.

by Anonymousreply 10July 3, 2020 4:17 AM

well, check this in-depth investigation from Vanity Fair, a fascinating read!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 3, 2020 4:18 AM

This is just over the border from me in TX, almost too much to comprehend. A man at a local pottery died when he was LOCKED in the automated pottery kiln, you can imagine the outcome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 3, 2020 4:18 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 3, 2020 4:23 AM

This one still haunts my dreams.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 3, 2020 4:24 AM

I knew a guy who fell into a giant mixer at a Colonial bread factory.

by Anonymousreply 15July 3, 2020 4:26 AM

This one happened not too far away from me. Not exactly what you want in your Bumblebee tuna.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 3, 2020 4:28 AM

[quote]you can imagine the outcome.

A matte terra cotta finish?

by Anonymousreply 17July 3, 2020 4:28 AM

He touched me in my no-no place, R14.

by Anonymousreply 18July 3, 2020 4:29 AM

I knew a woman whose daughter was partying after hours with circus workers/carnies.

Drunk, they decided it was a good idea to raise hell with the elephants and went into their trailer. The daughter got caught between the elephant and wall of the trailer and was crushed to death.

by Anonymousreply 19July 3, 2020 4:30 AM

Here's another "crushed by elephant" death

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 3, 2020 4:34 AM

R10, R15, and R16 Yes, those who meet an untimely death and freak accident in a food factory freak me out the most. Even when they don't die, yet lose limbs or digits, those freak me out as well.

by Anonymousreply 21July 3, 2020 4:35 AM

Poor Anton Yelchin who was pinned by his car. I think he had a lot of potential.

by Anonymousreply 22July 3, 2020 4:40 AM

I knew of a man who was beheaded by a tree in a hurricane.

by Anonymousreply 23July 3, 2020 4:42 AM

Froze to death

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 3, 2020 5:01 AM

The segway inventor who died failing off a Segway.

by Anonymousreply 25July 3, 2020 5:08 AM

R18, I, Rubbit

by Anonymousreply 26July 3, 2020 5:12 AM

talking about the car, a few years ago, I had a rental and it came with this then brand new keyless ignition technology, push the button to start the engine and there was no key to insert, the purpose of the key fob is to let "car" know the owner is inside the car, you need the key fob nearby to start the engine, but once it is started, the detection of key fob is no longer needed, unless you turn it off by pushing the button, the can will keep running even after you grabbed the key and walked out the car. I felt something was off with this new keyless ignition, I was not used to it. Soon, , news came out there were deaths and injuries caused by it, people forgot the car was still running in the garage, the buildup of carbon monoxide killed the family.

by Anonymousreply 27July 3, 2020 5:17 AM

Not as grisly as some of the above, but Isadora Duncan's demise involving her long scarf getting caught in the wheel/axle of a convertible haunts me.

by Anonymousreply 28July 3, 2020 5:22 AM

Women Dies After She Falls Off Escalator While Reaching to Grab Hat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 3, 2020 5:31 AM

Garry Hoy, the lawyer from Toronto who ran into the glass of the Toronto high rise where he worked to demonstrate its durability and fell to his death when the entire sheet of glass popped out of its frame with him following.

Not so much an accident as stupidity but I imagine it was jarring to the group who was watching.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 3, 2020 5:33 AM

Dan Motherfuck is the patron saint of this thread.

[quote]Fri, 21 Mar 2008 15:28:03 GMT — The family of a 6-year-old girl whose intestines were partially sucked out by a Minnesota swimming pool drain last year says the child has died.

[quote]Family attorney Bob Bennett says Abigail Taylor's parents were with her when she died Thursday evening at a Nebraska hospital.

[quote]Abigail was injured when she sat on a pool drain and its powerful suction ripped out part of her intestinal tract on June 29. She had small bowel, liver and pancreas transplants but suffered complications.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 3, 2020 5:41 AM

Toronto was [italic]over[/italic], R30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 3, 2020 6:22 AM

OP Look for the Smothers Brothers song "Chocolate" on Youtube, it's made for you.

by Anonymousreply 33July 3, 2020 6:25 AM

The Houston doctor who was decapitated by an elevator in the early 00s. His head went up while the rest of his body stayed in the lobby. I believe his colleague was in the elevator with the head.

by Anonymousreply 34July 3, 2020 6:44 AM

That poor guy in Indonesia who was swallowed whole by a snake a few years ago. There are nasty pics of the snake after they tore up its belly online...A pretty gruesome sight.

by Anonymousreply 35July 3, 2020 6:46 AM

This 2013 Python attack in New Brunswick that killed two young boys has always stayed with me. Just grisly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 3, 2020 7:03 AM

Butane and propane induced heart attack after months of deodorant abuse.

[quote]His father Keith Capewell said: "When we told him he was using too much, he said he just wanted to smell good."

[quote]He said that his son was using so much deodorant that "even when we were in a room downstairs we couldn't just smell it, we could taste it".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 3, 2020 7:30 AM

My best friend from high school died in a hang gliding accident at age 27.

by Anonymousreply 38July 3, 2020 7:58 AM

[quote]This one happened not too far away from me. Not exactly what you want in your Bumblebee tuna.

I was going to mention this one. It's the reason I never eat Bumblebee tuna.

by Anonymousreply 39July 3, 2020 8:41 AM

There's a lengthy list on Wikipedia. It's more than a bit creepy, either because the deaths are so bizarre or because they happened to people doing very ordinary things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 3, 2020 9:06 AM

The Great Molasses Flood, Boston 1919. Twenty-one dead.

by Anonymousreply 41July 3, 2020 9:28 AM

Thanks, R40. There are many crazy deaths there! I'm not done reading, but I have to love the one of the woman who walked naked into her rented villa's airing cupboard and closed the door. When she went to leave, a piece of the door handle broke off. She used the broken piece to dig into the wall, only to break a pipe that flooded the cabinet with ice cold water. She was found dead days later.

by Anonymousreply 42July 3, 2020 9:30 AM

Cruise ship grandpa's granddaughter

by Anonymousreply 43July 3, 2020 5:13 PM

A worker at a Phillip Morris facility in Virginia got pulled into a cigarette making machine. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 44July 3, 2020 5:43 PM

Jefferey Epstein.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

by Anonymousreply 45July 3, 2020 6:43 PM

I was on a mock jury for a horrific accident in my area, toddler fell into uncovered septic tank while visiting someone's home.

I witnessed the worst of humanity amongst my fellow mock jurors.

by Anonymousreply 46July 3, 2020 6:46 PM

About three years ago, a Texas woman died in Ocean City Maryland while on a family vacation at the beach. She had gone for a walk on the beach after midnight and disappeared. Authorities believe that she came across a 3- to-4-foot deep hole and decided to sit down in it. Then the hole collapsed, and she was unable to get out. The next morning, the tourist walking on the beach noticed a human arm revealed in the sand, leading to the discover of the body.

Several people have died while playing in sand. In 2014, a nine-year-old girl had dug a hole on the beach with some playmates. She got in to see how deep the hole was, and the walls collapsed. Several onlookers tried to dig her out, but sand kept falling back into the hole. It took more than five minutes to pull her out, and by then she was unconscious. She died at the hospital.

It's extra horrible that this happened when these people were on vacation.

by Anonymousreply 47July 3, 2020 6:47 PM

R34- There is an episode of Six Feet Under that has a scene where a man gets decapitated by an elevator.

by Anonymousreply 48July 3, 2020 6:53 PM

[quote] “...you can imagine the outcome.”

His eyes glazed over, no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 49July 4, 2020 11:32 AM

Steel worker fell into the giant ladle of molten steel. I'm told that all one heard when it happened was the brief, split-second sizzle and that was that. "SSSST"

by Anonymousreply 50July 4, 2020 12:40 PM

If I die on vacation I will be really pissed off.

by Anonymousreply 51July 5, 2020 9:50 PM

R25 he wasn't the inventor, he bought the company.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 5, 2020 9:59 PM

A coworker's wife worked at the university hospital. She was somehow locked into the room-size autoclave and it was turned on. Boiled/steamed to death.

Sure, he got a settlement, but he gets to imagine her trapped and suffering night after night after night. Poor man.

by Anonymousreply 53July 5, 2020 10:00 PM

R30, well, to his credit, he was right about the glass not breaking...well, you know, until he and it hit the pavement from 24 stories up.

by Anonymousreply 54July 5, 2020 10:02 PM

Sounds like murder to me, R53

by Anonymousreply 55July 5, 2020 10:14 PM

I remember that R47! It was so bizarre - I can't imagine being at the beach & spending the time to dig a hole that big, never mind thinking: well, how about I go sit in this hole for a while & see what happens?

Not exactly "freak" accidents, but the worst accidents are when people accidently run over small children (and I mean "accident", Mr. Patsy Ramsey, formerly of Boulder, CO!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 5, 2020 10:14 PM

I had a friend named Allan from 7th grade until high school. Ironically enough when I started working full time at 19 I worked with his grandmother. When he was about 21 he was deer hunting with his dad. Dad put his rifle down against a rock with the safety off and it fell off the rock, discharged and shot Allan in the head. He died instantly.

by Anonymousreply 57July 5, 2020 10:29 PM

R50 what did they do with the molten steel? Did they fashion girders for skyscrapers from it? Was the carbon percentage still within specs?

by Anonymousreply 58July 5, 2020 10:48 PM

R50 Don Martin would have had a better sound for this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 5, 2020 10:51 PM

that dude who died while a horse fucks him.

by Anonymousreply 60July 5, 2020 11:16 PM

The poor woman sucked out of a Southwest airplane window

by Anonymousreply 61July 5, 2020 11:21 PM

Quite a few people have died in wood chipper accidents. I saw a picture of the aftermath of one. Don’t do it.

by Anonymousreply 62July 6, 2020 3:56 AM

Obituary Notice: John Peach, truckman, "drowned near South Bridge, Salem, by falling through the ice while in pursuit of a hat," Jan. 29, 1830.

Somebody should do something about these lethal hats.

by Anonymousreply 63July 6, 2020 7:09 AM

Here’s a coincidence: The first guy who died while building the Hoover Dam was he father of the last guy who died building it. It’s odd how previous generations seemed to consider such construction deaths to just be a fact of life. Today, even a single death is unacceptable.

Four workers died during the massive, decades-long Big Dig project in Boston that involved creation of a tunnel under the city’s financial district, and another under Boston Harbour, plus much more. Considering the size of the project, just the sheer number of people involved would register some deaths, even if they were all just going to the beach, so I suppose that’s not too bad. After it was completed, a section collapsed on a motorist. They discovered the tunnel cement-ceiling was glued-on, rather than bolted on as required, a major screw-up. The tunnel also had problems with more leaks than anticipated. I hope they solved that one.

The largest brIdle in Connecticut where I grew up was completed in 1943. It’s been rumored that some number of young men fell into the concrete supports as they were hardening and were never fished out, so became permanently entombed in them. That seems unlikely as the supports are not a solid mass on concrete, but instead are steel reinforced. plus, the bodies would interfere with the strength of the supporting structure. But that’s the “local lore”.

by Anonymousreply 64July 6, 2020 1:57 PM

About 25 years ago, my gym used to host all night parties for local graduating senior classes. A young woman got into a hotter by the pool and submerged to pull her hair back. Her backside hit the drain at the bottom and the suction from it acted like a vacuum. They couldn't pull her off it, and she drowned. The cut-off switch was in the basement.

Now, it's mandatory to have emergency cut-ff switches near the tub.

by Anonymousreply 65July 6, 2020 2:20 PM

God, that sounds awful, R65, Charlie. Reminds me of the child who had her guts sucked out of her by a swimming pool vacuum. I have read that it isn’t an unusual occurrence, too. It’s sickening. Some of these stories makes me wonder how people actually can live long enough to procreate.

by Anonymousreply 66July 6, 2020 11:15 PM

This story actually has a happy ending but the son of an acquaintance got caught in an avalanche while skiing and was totally engulfed by snow, unable to move. Thankfully, he was wearing a device with a transponder so his brother, who was skiing nearby, was able to find him and dug him up enough so he could breathe. That story just scared the shit out of me, knowing you were stuck there and couldn't do anything about it.

by Anonymousreply 67July 7, 2020 12:19 AM

Six Feet Under had great weird deaths.

The deaths where people get cooked by steam or fall into something boiling or corrosive always seem particularly terrible. It seems like the pain is prolonged and the death is slow and agonizing.

by Anonymousreply 68July 7, 2020 3:44 AM

And, R68, I think all of the deaths were based on actual deaths.

by Anonymousreply 69July 7, 2020 7:24 AM

R42 A similar thing happened to a man in Britain. He got locked into his windowless bathroom. He was able to live for weeks by drinking water. Eventually he tore a hole in the wall and hit a pipe. After being drenched for days, he died of pneumonia.

A woman disappeared and was found quite a while later behind a bedroom dresser. She was petite, and for whatever reason fell head first between the dresser and the wall.

Two woman in England went missing. A small landslide buried their car in under rocks. The rock slide was small enough that road maintenance took their time clearing it, only to find their car underneath.

by Anonymousreply 70July 7, 2020 9:02 AM

R70 here. I forgot the one about the woman decapitated by a mailbox. She was a passenger in a car. She put her head out the window because she wasn't feeling well and hit the mailbox. Her friend didn't realize what had happened and drove a distance.

Decades ago, teenagers in a convertible crashed. One of the passengers was catapulted through the second-story window of a house.

by Anonymousreply 71July 7, 2020 9:07 AM

R57 sounds fishy, were there witnesses? Maybe the dad just killed him.

by Anonymousreply 72July 7, 2020 9:22 AM

The boy who was found dead inside a roll-up wrestling mat. Authorities said that his shoe fell into a mat, which was upright and leaning against a wall. He apparently climbed in head-first and got wedged in.

Wasn't a body found in the air ducts of Studio 54? They think he was trying to sneak in and got stuck.

Just within the last couple of years, a teenager was found dead in a chimney.

by Anonymousreply 73July 7, 2020 9:27 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74July 7, 2020 11:13 AM

Magician "The Amazing Joe" Burrus was killed when a "coffin escape" stunt, made famous by Harry Houdini, went horribly wrong. Burrus, bound at the wrists and ankles, was placed in a homemade (!) plexiglass (!!) coffin and buried under 7 tons of dirt and, to one-up Houdini, wet concrete. Onlookers reported hearing the plexiglass cracking as the "grave" was being filled. Almost immediately after the cement truck drove off, the coffin collapsed. Someone on Reddit calculated that between 8 and 11 thousand pounds of weight came down on Burrus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 8, 2020 8:52 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 8, 2020 9:45 AM

My tennis coach.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77July 8, 2020 11:26 PM

Oh, damn, visiting the wrong thread. My tennis coach is fine and sends his love.

by Anonymousreply 78July 8, 2020 11:33 PM

Death of Gareth Williams. Police visited Williams's home during the afternoon of Monday 23 August 2010, as a "welfare check" after colleagues noted he had been out of contact for several days. His decomposing naked remains were found in a red The North Face bag, padlocked from the outside, in the bath of the main bedroom's en-suite bathroom.

His family alleged that crucial DNA was interfered with and that fingerprints left at the scene were wiped off as part of a cover-up. No fingerprints, palm-prints, footprints or traces of Williams's DNA were found on the rim of the bath, the bag zip or the bag padlock. A key to the padlock was inside the bag, underneath his body.

by Anonymousreply 79July 8, 2020 11:48 PM

^R79...Police concluded, inexplicably, that the death of Gareth Williams was an accident.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80July 8, 2020 11:52 PM

Naya Rivera.

by Anonymousreply 81July 9, 2020 11:19 AM

Sonny Bono...impaled by a tree while skiing.

by Anonymousreply 82July 9, 2020 4:09 PM

One of the Kennedys also died in a skiing accident.

by Anonymousreply 83July 9, 2020 4:30 PM

Isadora Duncan...her scarf got caught in the wheel of her lover’s convertible and she snapped her neck or something.

by Anonymousreply 84July 9, 2020 4:36 PM

Freak accident in paradise. The bottom of the harness wasn't secured. He died a few days later. It is astonishing that the worker rides on the cables.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85July 9, 2020 5:10 PM

Freak accident in paradise. The bottom of the harness wasn't secured. He died a few days later. It is astonishing that the worker rides on the cables.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86July 9, 2020 5:10 PM

I knew a guy who was chopped in half by his brand new dump truck.

by Anonymousreply 87July 9, 2020 5:19 PM

Some woman in a bikini crawled from the roof into a duct of a food court by a Thai restaurant got stuck, and passed away just before she was freed by the rescue team.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 9, 2020 5:22 PM

R82 and 83: less than week apart, too. Michael Kennedy (the one who was diddling the babysitter) hit the tree on NYE, 1997; Sonny met his end on January 5th, 1998.

by Anonymousreply 89July 9, 2020 5:24 PM

On the key fob thing, I was at a gas station and a lady was getting her minivan towed. She had started the Van remotely and left the keys at the house. The house was 6 hours away in Florida. This was apparently her first stop.

by Anonymousreply 90July 9, 2020 5:30 PM

OP's story is not a freak accident. Sounds like negligent safety protocols on a work site, hardly "freak" in nature. If you cut corners or don't train workers properly, this is what happens. There is no reasonable excuse for a worker "falling" into an industrial mixer. Something went horribly wrong long before that worker fell.

What r4 describes is freak: a young, healthy person dying suddenly, doing something mundane, at home, that we all do every day. It's completely unexpected and tragic.

by Anonymousreply 91July 9, 2020 5:34 PM

OP's story is not a freak accident. Sounds like negligent safety protocols on a work site, hardly "freak" in nature. If you cut corners or don't train workers properly, this is what happens. There is no reasonable excuse for a worker "falling" into an industrial mixer. Something went horribly wrong long before that worker fell.

What r4 describes is freak: a young, healthy person dying suddenly, doing something mundane, at home, that we all do every day. It's completely unexpected and tragic.

by Anonymousreply 92July 9, 2020 5:34 PM

Mama Cass chocking to death on a meatloaf sandwich, yeah yeah yeah I know they say it is a hoax but it is too good not to list.

by Anonymousreply 93July 9, 2020 5:35 PM

It might be a hoax, but it was a ham sandwich when I heard it...

by Anonymousreply 94July 9, 2020 5:39 PM

There are several cases where people fell or were pulled into a wood chipper, I am guessing they didn't have an open casket funeral.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95July 9, 2020 5:41 PM

Tennessee Williams

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96July 9, 2020 5:44 PM

[quote]The boy who was found dead inside a roll-up wrestling mat.

I still don't think that was an accident.

by Anonymousreply 97July 9, 2020 5:45 PM

Suicide by fruit roll up? ^

by Anonymousreply 98July 9, 2020 5:56 PM

Child killed when a tire blew out, and cables from that tire ripped through the floor and seat of the van, and pulled the kid out of the van and onto the highway. Nobody could see that coming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99July 9, 2020 6:04 PM

My dad was an attorney and he had a case when I was a kid in which the blade on a large commercial mower dislodged and killed a passing motorist. The damn thing went through her front window and didn't quite decapitate her but almost. This happened on a small two lane highway.

Since then, each time I see one of those large commercial mowers I start to sweat a little.

by Anonymousreply 100July 9, 2020 6:08 PM

A 200-pound manhole cover "became dislodged and airborne" and killed an art teacher driving to her school Friday morning on a Boston highway, officials said.

A tire on a truck ahead of the killed art teacher gripped the cross piece on a storm grate, and kicked it up, into the windshield of the teacher. As a result, all the storm grates were soon inspected. They were soon after replaced with grates that ran parallel to traffic, and didn’t have a cross piece to grip on to, by other motorists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101July 9, 2020 8:58 PM

R85 & R86, I don’t think that this was an accident. One of the handlers can be seen riding up with the tourist. Immediately, you hear fellow workers yelling out. One also waves his hands, in a motion as to say, “quit”. That handler’s actions in the air are hard to see, but it looks like he struggles with the tourist to dislodge him, and succeeds in doing so.

I call, “foul play”.

by Anonymousreply 102July 9, 2020 9:17 PM

Grusome.

by Anonymousreply 103July 10, 2020 4:02 AM

[quote]Gruesome.

Murdered here.

by Anonymousreply 104July 10, 2020 4:12 AM

This happened in my home town, apparently while I was away in either the army or college. A friend told me about it, while we were driving up Riverside Drive. A freak wind sailed a single plank from the local minor-league ball park and dropped it straight through the window of a car driving along the same Riverside Drive, decapitating the driver. Almost like the finger of God, but I can't imagine why it might really have happened. Clinton, Iowa, sometime between the fall of 1970 and the summer of 1975. (For those of you who want to dig in deeper. I know there are far better researchers on the Lounge than me)

by Anonymousreply 105July 10, 2020 4:32 AM

r31: is "Dan Motherfuck" what you call Chuck Palahniuk? Because the second book of his I tried to read after Fight Club had a main character who had his intestines sucked out after a sensuous experience with a swimming pool drain. Or was that Dan Motherfuck?

by Anonymousreply 106July 10, 2020 4:54 AM

Oh, no, that was St. Gut-free. When askt by anyone (as if anyone would ask) why I stoppt reading this author, I can say it was St. Gut-free who enabled me.

by Anonymousreply 107July 10, 2020 4:59 AM

Vic Morrow, actor, decapitated *and* crushed by a helicopter while filming The Twilight Zone movie in 1981. Two children were also killed.

by Anonymousreply 108July 10, 2020 5:18 AM

Director Alan J. Pakula's death on the LIE -- a metal pipe fell from a truck, another car ran over the pipe, causing it to fly straight through Pakula's windshield, killing him instantly.

by Anonymousreply 109July 10, 2020 5:24 AM

When I was little, I was not allowed outside when dad was mowing. This was because back in Oklahoma, some kid on my mom’s block died when their Pa was mowin’ the lawn and he went and run over a clothes pin and that mower projected it through the poor youngster’s heart, killing her, DEAD!

by Anonymousreply 110July 10, 2020 11:02 PM

There was a young woman driving her car who keeled over dead. Not until the autopsy was conducted did they learn she'd been shot behind the ear. Turns out, a stray shot from a hunter at a really far distance had just enough oomph left to penetrate her soft tissue. If she'd had the window up, it would have saved her.

by Anonymousreply 111July 11, 2020 12:36 AM

Natalie Wood.

by Anonymousreply 112July 11, 2020 1:00 AM

This.

I'm going to hell for this but I keep watching this over and over and hear the sound bowling pins and "Sti-Riike!"

Isn't it the dream of every woman to die in the mall surrounded by beautiful things?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113July 11, 2020 1:03 AM

What hit the woman above?

by Anonymousreply 114July 11, 2020 1:26 AM

A runaway shopping cart

by Anonymousreply 115July 11, 2020 8:59 AM

[quote] [R85] & [R86], I don’t think that this was an accident.

Also, I understand that the video was taken by his girlfriend. She never stops the recording. Not when that guy rides up with the Australian; not when it looks like there is a struggle; and not even after he falls to the sea. Wouldn’t you drop the camera, at some point? Or are we so damaged that our society values dramatic posts over human life?

by Anonymousreply 116July 11, 2020 2:35 PM

During the 1700s, conductors didn't wave a baton, they stomped the stage with a tall hand held staff to beat time for the orchestra. The French composer Lully got carried away leading one of his own pieces and stomped the staff right through his foot.

The infection got very bad and developed into gangrene. Lully's doctors told him they would have to amputate his foot to save his life. Lully was a very vain man and refused. The infection spread and he died of gangrene and sepsis.

Lully was a true Datalounger.

by Anonymousreply 117July 11, 2020 2:52 PM

Some young people were having a keg party in the woods in Connecticut. An idiot put an empty keg into the fire and after a little while it exploded, injuring 7 people with the shrapnel and killing a 22 year old guy with a severe blast to the neck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 11, 2020 9:38 PM

Remember the young guy from a few months ago who stuck his head out the hatch of a party bus with totally not awesome results? I think it was Jersey and there was a thread or two about it here.

by Anonymousreply 119July 11, 2020 9:59 PM

The 10 year old boy who was decapitated on the water slide right in front of his family. His blood sprayed all over them. Disgusting and sickening.

by Anonymousreply 120July 11, 2020 10:57 PM

R120. I never once heard that..

His blood sprayed on some bystanders though (and I think the folks behind him)

That was horrible.

by Anonymousreply 121July 11, 2020 11:01 PM

Lully refused to let his doctors amputate his foot (or leg, according to which you read) not only due to his vanity but also because he loved to dance. A true Datalounger, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 122July 11, 2020 11:06 PM

So he'd rather be dead than not be able to party? I've known a few people like that. They're all dead.

by Anonymousreply 123July 11, 2020 11:16 PM

R120/R121: the reliable Horror channel about the boy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124July 11, 2020 11:26 PM

r121 There's a photo of the two women family members who were sitting behind him. Their faces are flecked and spattered with blood! It's so traumatizing to see the trauma on their faces.

by Anonymousreply 125July 11, 2020 11:33 PM

R125 do you have a link to the photo?

by Anonymousreply 126July 16, 2020 2:59 AM

Maggie Gioberti Channing's ring got caught in a swimming pool drain and she drowned.

by Anonymousreply 127July 16, 2020 3:04 AM

One of my closest friends went to high school with someone who was killed by a truck with metal bars in its bed, ala Final Destination. A bar slipped from the bundle and impaled him as he was driving behind the truck.

by Anonymousreply 128July 16, 2020 3:19 AM

ANOTHER Chinese mall accident. If a visit to China is on your bucket list, make sure it’s number “last.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129July 16, 2020 3:49 AM

[quote][R121] There's a photo of the two women family members who were sitting behind him. Their faces are flecked and spattered with blood! It's so traumatizing to see the trauma on their faces.

Actually, the two female passengers were not related to him, were also hit by the support beam, and both suffered severe facial fractures and lacerations.

So tell us more about that “photo” you saw. Was there a hidden trauma-cam?

by Anonymousreply 130July 16, 2020 5:05 AM

I started a job at a Groton CT shipyard shortly before moving into a new, waterfront building. As the “new guy”, I had last choice of my office location. No one wanted to sit next to the boss, so I had to take that seat. Ironically, it faced away from, but was directly in front of the floor to ceiling window overlooking the river, I need only swivel my chair while on the phone, or face the guest chair behind me, and I had a stunning view.

This also gave visitors the impression that I was far more expert an Engineer than the fresh college graduate that I was. I cultivated that image buy habitually wearing a white shirt and tie, like the NASA engineers were known for. A power-nerd look. This was where I befriended a man I later learned was the son of the last Governor General of the Dutch East Indies. A man who had spent time in a Japanese POW camp as a child.

Anyway, I was gazing out the window one day when I, and some others, observed a cement truck jump over a New Jersey style barrier on the Gold Star Memorial Bridge, and plunge off the side. The guy had a heart attack. He certainly had another one on the way down, about 60 stories, knowing that there was a load of cement directly behind his cab as he fell.

(If the link does not resolve, it says no more that I just related.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131July 16, 2020 5:36 AM

I had a cousin who died in a freak accident. A bearded woman ran over him with her circus car.

by Anonymousreply 132July 16, 2020 5:53 AM

Maybe not so much of a "freak accident" (except nobody else died but him), one of my first sexual partners, who was chosen to host Shark Week in 2007, died before he got the chance to host when he was BASE jumping with a bunch of friends/co-workers while on a project in Canada. Apparently, there was a group of them that jumped at the same exact time and he was the only one that was slammed into the cliff and killed instantly. i didn't find out about it until a few years ago. Still kind of haunts me, this guy was such a live wire...always out for the next adventure and thrill. it was kind of hard to know that this guy i grew up with who was so driven was dead from doing the thing he loved the most - chasing the next thrill.

by Anonymousreply 133July 16, 2020 6:56 AM

R133 You got fucked by Jimmy Hall? I am jealous he was pretty damn hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134July 16, 2020 7:21 AM

So jealous. RIP Jimmy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135July 16, 2020 7:23 AM

i was 18 and we made out and i gave him my first ever handjob and suck (had never done that before). he was my brother's best friend and had a crush on me for a year or so which i was completely oblivious to until i went to visit my dad, my bro and him when i was 18. he was a character. i will never forget the monkey they had as a pet and how they retrofitted their entire living room with ropes/shelves for said monkey. an extremely interesting family.

by Anonymousreply 136July 16, 2020 7:33 AM

R136 How old was he? He never fucked you? I like to think he was a top.

by Anonymousreply 137July 16, 2020 7:37 AM

i was 18, he was 21, my brother's age - that's how we met, he was my brother's best friend. i was still a virgin at that point, so the night we spent together was like my first full-on sexual experience even though we didn't fuck - there was my brother and another guy in the room and no way was i going to lose my virginity in that scenario. i remember the next day when we all got together though on the beach in the morning and he had cum stains on his leg from our activities...i'm sure i turned so red seeing the spots on his calf. He was a nice guy, but i was not ready to go down the road then and there and he let me off easy. We played bullshit the next evening with the entire family and there was no awkwardness. We even went on a moped ride around the island together after that. great guy.

by Anonymousreply 138July 16, 2020 7:45 AM

R129 I'm always perplexed that a place like China, who claims to lead on some technology development fronts, could also be so primitive, neglectful, and ill-equipped. But then again, knowing what I know about their government, it's not really shocking at all.

I say all of this, because I've seen these sorts of things happen in China time and time again. Having a larger population will result in more accidents over time, but...so many of these things seem like they could've been prevented, and only happened due to neglect where public safety is concerned (among other things). At one point I genuinely wanted to travel to China. In the last few years, I've lost that desire.

by Anonymousreply 139July 16, 2020 9:29 AM

Yes, the is a neglect where public safety is concerned. Not every culture has this reverence for human lives or rights that we do. It is how they were able to stamp down on the virus so efficiently.

Don't worry, we are headed that way. The Feds just got taught that they can pass the buck back to the underfunded state services when they don't want to deal with the shit. That tide will reverse as people watch friends and relatives close to them die or go through the infection because the states are ill equipped. That will shift back to national outrage and the Feds will come back with even more authority. (Dare I say FEMA?)

by Anonymousreply 140July 16, 2020 5:02 PM

I'm going to move R129 over to the foul play column right under parasailing guy. That will be all.

by Anonymousreply 141July 16, 2020 10:25 PM

(1) A couple of decades ago in Oxnard, CA, a celebrant at a wedding party drowned when he fell into an open septic tank. My only question: who throws a wedding party adjacent to an open septic tank?

(2) My best friend in high school, Don. Don always drove a convertible and he always knew he would die one day in an auto accident. He told us this constantly. As a result, he always drove extremely slowly and cautiously. One night he was driving home on a city street in his Chevy convertible (top down, as always) at his usual sedate crawl, and for whatever reason, he ran into a light pole. The Chevy's front bumper was bent. Slightly. The damage? Less than a couple of hundred dollars. HOWEVER—the huge glass light globe became dislodged in the impact and crashed down directly onto poor Don's head. He died instantly.

I used to collect stories of funny deaths, but I can't find my file anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 142July 16, 2020 11:12 PM

Don. He spoke it into existence.

by Anonymousreply 143July 17, 2020 12:38 AM

I like this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144August 31, 2020 7:16 PM

There was an attraction at Disneyland called America Sings (the sister attraction at Disney World, The Carousel of Progress, still operates). The theater was round and rotated from one scene to the next. A teenage girl working as a hostess for the attraction didn't get off the rotating stage fast enough and was crushed between walls. The audience heard her scream and the theater lights flickered as her body was crushed. They closed the attraction for a respectable two days before reopening.

by Anonymousreply 145August 31, 2020 7:46 PM

But as an homage to her, they renamed the ride "America Screams."

by Anonymousreply 146August 31, 2020 10:44 PM

A professor at CWRU in Cleveland was ducking his wife from a window sill with a rope to keep her from falling out, rope broke. Wife died, professor went to jail for manslaughter.

by Anonymousreply 147August 31, 2020 11:39 PM

R147 — Do you mean ducking or fucking? I guess either one could apply.

by Anonymousreply 148September 1, 2020 12:21 AM

I have never forgotten this one. two people swing dancing after a country music concert. He accidentally drops her and she breaks her neck ad dies. just a random freak accident.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149September 1, 2020 12:28 AM

I hear working at “America Sings” is a real grind

by Anonymousreply 150September 1, 2020 12:50 AM

More Disney stories: a few years ago, "Captain Jack Sparrow" was performing for guests when he slipped on a puddle of water, hit a wall, broke his neck, and later died.

The (very handsome!) guy who played Gaston was clowning around with his family and friends on the 4th of July; he attempted to launch fireworks off his back/neck. Instead, he literally blew his head to smithereens right in front of everyone.

by Anonymousreply 151September 1, 2020 1:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!