Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ryans Hope Memories

The 45th anniversary of the show's debut is almost here. Show premiered on July 7, 1975.

Did you stop by Ryan's Bar for a drink? Have a chat with Maeve and Johnny? Sing Danny Boy with them?

Maybe you got kidnapped by a giant ape. Or got on the wrong side of Max Dubujack? Or got caught up in one of Delia's schemes. Or possibly just had Dr. Seneca Beaulac treat you at Riverside Hospital.

Or maybe you were in lust with Michael Pavel (Michael Corbett) or Rick Hyde (Grant Show). Or fell in love with Joe Novack (Roscoe Born).

Share your memories here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161June 20, 2021 11:44 PM

Maeve and Johnny were always a reassuring presence on my screen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 2, 2020 10:36 PM

I remember Yasmine Bleeth was on RH.

Tichina Arnold also.

by Anonymousreply 2July 2, 2020 10:38 PM

Mary Ryan was the show's sweetheart. She drew my attention in when I first started watching.

Kate Mulgrew WAS Mary. None of the replacement actors in the role compared.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 2, 2020 10:38 PM

Delia always annoyed me with her helplessness and neediness. But she sure could stir up trouble!

Ilene Kristen was my favorite Delia. But Randall Edwards gradually won me over too.

I never liked Robin Matson in the role. Apparently nobody else did either since she lasted less than a year as Delia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 2, 2020 10:43 PM

Talk about a well-written show that just got torn to shreds over too many recasts.

by Anonymousreply 5July 2, 2020 10:46 PM

Julia Barr and Walt Willey both got their starts in the show . Marg Helgenberg too .

by Anonymousreply 6July 2, 2020 10:50 PM

At the 18:00 mark, Kelli Maroney (who played Kimberly Harris, and later one of the Tina Lords) says she was new in town and looking for an apartment when the real estate agent said her friend was looking for a Midwest Lolita for a soap.

TV shows and movies seem so BIG to most of us in the audience - it's funny that an offhand recommendation from a stranger would lead to something major like an actual soap opera contract.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 2, 2020 10:51 PM

Walt Willey was one of the Joe Novaks.

by Anonymousreply 8July 2, 2020 10:51 PM

[quote] I never liked Robin Matson in the role. Apparently nobody else did either since she lasted less than a year as Delia.

Well it was only a short-term contract (9 months) as Robin Mattson was considered a huge star on Daytime, so this was considered a "coup" - Pat Falken Smith was writing the show at the time, and she wrote some of the most memorable stories for Mattson when she played Heather on GH.

Mattson only wanted to do the part short term, because she was still trying to break into Primetime. And desperately wanted to do a sitcom. So the thinking is that she could do some comedy on Ryan;s Hope, and still be available for pilot season when her 9 months were up

by Anonymousreply 9July 2, 2020 10:51 PM

Frank Ryan was an asshole no matter who played him.

by Anonymousreply 10July 2, 2020 10:51 PM

David Sederholm and Grant Show as hunky brothers. Bestill my heart. And let's not forget James Wlcek.

by Anonymousreply 11July 2, 2020 10:52 PM

We haven't heard from the David Sederholm Troll....I mean Fan for a while.

Hey gurl!

by Anonymousreply 12July 2, 2020 10:59 PM

I loved how Christmas lasted forever in the 1970s episodes.

I was sick in early 2005 and watched weeks worth on Soap Opera Network, reliving the great old memories. I just loved it!

One of my favorites was Rae. The hottest Frank Ryan was the one who played Zack's father on 'Saved By The Bell.'

Yes, James Wlcek was hotter than hot, but I much preferred Jason Adams/Ash Adams circa 1987.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 2, 2020 11:03 PM

Kelli Maroney during that era:

You can see why a real estate agent might say, "You know, my friend is casting a soap opera..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 2, 2020 11:03 PM

John Sanderford.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 2, 2020 11:03 PM

Sexy devil John Sanderford.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 2, 2020 11:04 PM

I liked Kimberly and Pat. But he got stuck with that saccharine girl - Amanda?

by Anonymousreply 17July 2, 2020 11:08 PM

Well, this is certainly a title that draws you in!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 2, 2020 11:28 PM

Any episode you see with Max Dubujak know those episodes were NOT written by Claire Labine

When she left, new head-writer Pat Falken Smith created the character AXING Rae Woodard

But the minute Claire Labine returned to Ryan's Hope, the first she did was kill-off the character.

by Anonymousreply 19July 2, 2020 11:37 PM

I wish I could remember more of the show, I was only five when it ended. I don't know if maybe there was a children's show on at the same time, because I can remember watching a lot of soaps back then with my mother and grandmother, but the only memory I have of Ryan's Hope is the last episode and Maeve singing "Danny Boy."

I know that my mother watched it. It is still one of the soaps that she talks about being great. I'm a huge Star Trek fan, but she has never liked it. But, she actually wanted to watch a few episodes of Star Trek: Voyager, just because Kate Mulgrew was the star.

by Anonymousreply 20July 2, 2020 11:39 PM

I wish I could find on YT Maeve’s monologue about a violent incident in Ireland which launched that storyline with Charlotte.

by Anonymousreply 21July 2, 2020 11:40 PM

I had a nasty home life so I was drawn to the big boisterous NYC family. They squabbled but they loved each other. I was a kid and I so wanted to be a part of that Ryan family.

by Anonymousreply 22July 3, 2020 12:06 AM

I loved the actress who played Jillian.

by Anonymousreply 23July 3, 2020 12:07 AM

This is interesting, because you see how the sets are laid out on the sound stage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 3, 2020 2:02 AM

What [italic]is[/italic] "Ryan's hope," specifically? And if it's about a family, shouldn't it be The Ryans' Hopes?

So many soap opera titles crack me up, on reflection.

by Anonymousreply 25July 3, 2020 2:17 AM

R25 To me the worst soap title was The Young Marrieds. I know The Honeymooners wasn't possible, but why not The Newlyweds? They were before The Newlywed Game, so that wasn't the issue. No one has ever called people the young marrieds. The only way it might have made sense is if the main couple's last name had been Young and even then it would sound more like a sitcom than a soap.

by Anonymousreply 26July 3, 2020 2:32 AM

[quote]I loved the actress who played Jillian.

Nancy Addison, sadly died in 2002. She was great.

by Anonymousreply 27July 3, 2020 3:02 AM

Nancy was on the 50 Greatest Soap Actresses list a few years back

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 3, 2020 3:03 AM

“Seneca! SENECA!!!!!!”

by Anonymousreply 29July 3, 2020 3:07 AM

Ryan's Hope was really well written and acted but there was something too realistic about it, not soap opera romantic. I think that's one of the reasons it was never a big hit. ABC had three huge smashes in AMC, OLTL and GH but RH was a critical hit but not a ratings hit.

I always felt Kate Mulgrew was so self righteous that she was totally insufferable. Ironically, they had several re-casts but only regained their balance when they essentially recreated the character as Siobhan with Marg Helgenberger. I was always distracted by Nancy Addison's nostrils.

by Anonymousreply 30July 3, 2020 3:19 AM

R25 I think it was called Ryan’s Hope because Frank was supposed to be the future of the family. That’s what I recall. He was also supposed to be killed off in the first week but I believe the network said no. The first Frank was forgettable. He was recast so often.

by Anonymousreply 31July 3, 2020 3:28 AM

What really blows my mind is how Kate Mulgrew was able to keep her pregnancy a secret during Ryan's Hope

Mulgrew was and still is a strict catholic (and pro-life) and found herself knocked up while on Ryan's Hope. She confided in Claire Labine, and the writer said "No problem, we will write it in the storyline)

So while they made the character or Mary Ryan pregnant, the soap press had NO IDEA that Kate Mulgrew was pregnant in real life! Because Kate planned to give the baby up for adoption (which she did)

How Kate and the show kept that under wraps, would never happen today

by Anonymousreply 32July 3, 2020 3:33 AM

The first Frank was Christian Slater's father.

by Anonymousreply 33July 3, 2020 3:55 AM

My understanding was the Ryan’s hope title pertained to Johnny Ryan’s immigration to New York and starting his small business pub. The American dream.

by Anonymousreply 34July 3, 2020 5:24 AM

Seneca was such a hot daddy in the early days.

by Anonymousreply 35July 3, 2020 7:07 AM

[quote]r26 To me the worst soap title was The Young Marrieds.

Many of them are inane.

"Search for Tomorrow"??

Here's a tip: you don't have to search for it, AT ALL. Just lie down for a little while and [italic]voilà,[/italic] it's here!

by Anonymousreply 36July 3, 2020 7:16 AM

Even as a young gayling, I could tell Michael Corbett was gay. Well, I wouldn't have been able to put the word "gay" to it at that age, but I knew there was something different about him.

by Anonymousreply 37July 3, 2020 10:42 AM

In both 1977 AND 1979, Ryan's Hope swept the Emmys -- Best Drama, Best Writing and Best Directing. In those years, with so many soaps in production (14), winning all three categories never happened.

That sweep didn't happen again until 2018 when there were only four soaps left.

by Anonymousreply 38July 3, 2020 12:11 PM

R24 No corners were cut in those days. In the costume designer's segment (19:30) of the morning show, the wedding dresses they used on that day are all authentic 75-80 year old vintage pieces at 700/800 dollars per dress of 1977 money, which the show would buy and custom tailor for each actress.

by Anonymousreply 39July 3, 2020 1:25 PM

I remember James Sloyan as Mitch Bronski in 1983.

Incredibly he was in only one episode. Mitch and a female character I now can’t remember were both on a rooftop at night stargazing and Mitch was very enthusiastic.

I can’t believe I still remember that scene. My memory must be better than I thought.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 3, 2020 1:33 PM

In real life, Seneca Beaulac was married to Edna Thornton.

John Gabriel worked at Ryan's Hope. Sandy Gabriel worked at AMC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 3, 2020 2:05 PM

Sarah Felder was one of those performers who never would have worked on any other soap. So unique and offbeat and what a presence. She pulled audiences towards her in a very real way. I would have loved seeing her with Kate Mulgrew because she had two Marys and she mopped the floor with both of them, especially in the fight scenes.

by Anonymousreply 42July 3, 2020 3:10 PM

R36 I don’t have a problem with poetic titles like Search For Tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 43July 3, 2020 3:28 PM

My grandfather hated this show. Called it Ryan Soap, called Maeve Bowel Maevement.

by Anonymousreply 44July 3, 2020 3:40 PM

Ryan’s Hope was brilliant but plagued by the never-ending recasts of its lead characters — Maeve and Johnny’s kids. These roles were essential to the show and the constant revolving door definitely slowed its momentum. Rarely did the actors in these roles stick around for more than one contract cycle.

But RH had several fan favorites who stayed on contract until the bitter end — Helen Gallagher, Bernie Barrow, Nancy Addison Altman, Michael Levin, Ron Hale. All magnificent and rewarded with consistent screen time for the show’s entire run.

My favs of the revolving door: Marg Helgenberger, Daniel Hugh Kelley, and of course Kate Mulgrew

And I loved Roscoe Born…always underrated.

by Anonymousreply 45July 3, 2020 4:31 PM

R45 Bernie Barrow was mentioned this week in the Locher Room YouTube session with several writers from GL.

Millee Taggart wrote for Loving and after RH was cancelled he was on Loving for a few years, and everyone seemed to have nice things to say about him.

by Anonymousreply 46July 3, 2020 4:35 PM

As a gayling, I was so attracted to Roscoe Born and the guy who played Marco Dane on OLTL!

by Anonymousreply 47July 3, 2020 4:40 PM

One of the few times RH did well with a recast was Randall Edwards. You couldn't imagine Ilene Kristen's Dee owning the Crystal Palace but Edwards did well and wow, that chemistry between her and future husband Roscoe Born was amazing. When Drunk Faith hurt Little John, she got all sanctimonious about it saying she didn't have to answer to Dee. Edwards brought a surprising dignity to the scene and you really wanted to slap Faith after it.

by Anonymousreply 48July 3, 2020 5:56 PM

Agreed r48 -- Randall Edwards was fabulous as Dee. The Crystal Palace, the King Kong knockoff...she pulled it all off with a vulnerability I always enjoyed.

by Anonymousreply 49July 3, 2020 8:27 PM

Ilene Kristen played Dee as a neurotic New Yorker, Randall Edwards played her as a dingbat from Delaware.

by Anonymousreply 50July 3, 2020 8:48 PM

R50, they were just not the same Dee and that was to the writers' credit. Edwards was far more likable but she wasn't as multi-layered as Kristen. Nonetheless, the writers' crafted very good and appropriate storylines for her.

by Anonymousreply 51July 3, 2020 8:59 PM

Claire Labine said Randall Edwards was astonishing

She was able to play the part as Delia, but be her own Delia.

by Anonymousreply 52July 3, 2020 9:11 PM

I didn't see the King Kong thing. Which one did he have to lift?

by Anonymousreply 53July 3, 2020 9:11 PM

Edwards. King Kong's name was Prince Albert. It was during their movie homage series and it was one of RH's low points. They even had a Jaws parody.

by Anonymousreply 54July 3, 2020 9:12 PM

[quote]One of the few times RH did well with a recast was Randall Edwards. You couldn't imagine Ilene Kristen's Dee owning the Crystal Palace but Edwards did well and wow, that chemistry between her and future husband Roscoe Born was amazing. When Drunk Faith hurt Little John, she got all sanctimonious about it saying she didn't have to answer to Dee. Edwards brought a surprising dignity to the scene and you really wanted to slap Faith after it.

Very insightful post. Thanks for writing. Rancall Edwards created a very different character than what Ilene Kristen created, but both Delia's worked. Somehow, some way they both worked.

by Anonymousreply 55July 5, 2020 1:58 AM

i remember boo hooing during the finale episode while Maeve sang.

by Anonymousreply 56July 5, 2020 2:34 AM

It's a shame that this truly unique show was sacrificed by ABC trying to prop up the bland Loving.

by Anonymousreply 57July 6, 2020 12:25 AM

R57 I said on another thread Loving was the product of two great soap writers Douglas Marland and Agnes Nixon, but somehow failed to be a Marland or Nixon show. It was just bland and generic. RH was miles better.

Loving's continuation The City, was better because it at least seemed unique. But, for some reason ABC didn't give it the chances they gave Loving.

by Anonymousreply 58July 6, 2020 12:40 AM

Never understood why they didn’t call it City Loving, though.

by Anonymousreply 59July 6, 2020 2:17 AM

It took a YouTube rabbit hole to discover years later that Michael Levin (aka Jack Finelli) was hot AF. His body was sick. Super handsome face. His scenes with Kate Mulgrew were fantastic. They were exceptionally well written and they have serious chemistry. This soap was special.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 6, 2020 2:28 AM

I thought Jack and Mary were a weird couple in that they had absolutely nothing in common except for sex. With Siobhan, he found a girl who shared interests with him and he and Sarah Felderr had incredible chemistry. This is a scene that showed how great RH could be. Set to La Traviata, Jack realizes his love for Siobhan and the reality that they can't be together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 6, 2020 3:03 AM

The studio where Ryan's Hope was taped was the same studio that housed Dark Shadows. The building was torn down just a couple of years ago.

by Anonymousreply 62July 6, 2020 3:16 AM

R62 that's nice to know. I was actually in that building when it was the Red Zone nightclub.

by Anonymousreply 63July 6, 2020 3:21 AM

Actress Louise Shaffer was a standout as Rae Woodard. She would later go on to write for Ryan's Hope and As the World Turns. Before joining Ryan's Hope in the role of Rae, she played a homicidal lunatic on the Edge of Night which earned her great acclaim.

by Anonymousreply 64July 6, 2020 3:23 AM

Yeah, Louise Shaffer was fantastic playing Serena and Josie on Edge of Night in 1974-75. In fact, Serena shooting her husband on the courthouse steps was one of several cliffhangers used in the final CBS episode before Edge moved to ABC the next week.

Shaffer's Serena and Josie was the first time I'd seen an actor on a soap play a dual role like that. Consequently, I was delighted when Shaffer showed up on Ryan's Hope.

by Anonymousreply 65July 6, 2020 5:28 AM

R61

Can you put that scene into context? It's obvious both feel something for the other

by Anonymousreply 66July 6, 2020 8:07 AM

R61 Jack was married to Siobhan's sister Mary and they were growing further apart and he and Siobhan had immediate empathy. He tells Siobhan to repeat Violetta's words: If you love me, go away because I can only offer you friendship. He can't be with Siobhan, much as he loves her.

by Anonymousreply 67July 6, 2020 1:28 PM

The show was too Catholic for me.

by Anonymousreply 68July 6, 2020 5:50 PM

I had forgotten that Justin Deas got his start on soaps playing Bucky Carter.

As amazing as he was on ATWT as Tom and later on Santa Barbara as Keith, his Bucky never left much of an impression on me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 7, 2020 5:12 AM

I've always wondered who was the titular Ryan and what exactly was his/her hope??? Tell me!

by Anonymousreply 70August 7, 2020 5:26 AM

I think the answers you seek, r70, are in this photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 7, 2020 5:44 AM

I live around the block from where they filmed, (West 53rd Street between 9th-10th Aves) or at least it was where I auditioned for a contract role on the show in '82 or '83. I think the character was a bit more rough around the edges than I was and maybe was played by an Italian or Latin kid. I am Irish and look it. I wish I could recall the name of the character, or I would look it up.

I had recently been thrown out of drama school, so I did the next best thing, I got an agent and started auditioning! I'm sure I was awful!

For fifty years, actors in NYC did soaps, often many of them, earned a decent middle-class salary, raised kids and earned a nice pension. Some actors worked their entire careers on daytime dramas. It was a huge cultural shift when they all shuttered.

by Anonymousreply 72August 7, 2020 6:20 AM

r72

Not to mention, the NYC soaps gave starts to many many actors who went on to primetime and films. Ryan's Hope alone gave us Kate Mulgrew, Marg Helgenberger, Christian Slater, Corbin Bernsen, Grant Show, Yasmine Bleeth, Nell Carter, Christine Ebersole...and even Regis had a short arc before Live.

by Anonymousreply 73August 15, 2020 12:10 AM

Kate and Allie's landlady was on Ryan's Hope. Does some RH superfan know the actress' name?

by Anonymousreply 74August 15, 2020 12:31 AM

The casting department did solid work w/ discoveries on RH. Marg Helgenberger and Roscoe Born were perfectly. I loved Cali Timmons, Yasmine Bleeth and Grant Show. As the next generation they really shined. And I'm surprised Gerit Quealy and Jason Adams didn't get snapped up by another soap after RH.

by Anonymousreply 75August 15, 2020 2:17 PM

R74 I believe K&A's landlady was Gloria Cromwell, who also played Frank Ryan's secretary.

by Anonymousreply 76August 15, 2020 2:28 PM

Its weird- in the northeast everyone watched ABC soaps, but I do not remember anyone watching Ryan's Hope. Even my grandparents who got me watching every summer.

A few people I knew watched Loving, but not many- and no one watched Ryan's Hope... which is odd considering they were both on around lunchtime!

by Anonymousreply 77August 15, 2020 2:33 PM

R77 Ryan's Hope was actually very popular. Never as popular as All My Children or General Hospital, but it had a good solid following and was very well respected (especially the writing) for a good number of years.

Then ABC took over creative control from the Head Writers/Creators and drove it into the ground.

by Anonymousreply 78August 15, 2020 2:41 PM

My grandparents lived in Philadelphia. They would eat lunch while watching the noon news, then RH.

by Anonymousreply 79August 15, 2020 2:42 PM

The paneling in Ryan's Bar was left over Collinwood's drawing room. Nancy Barrett briefly played Faith, who was supposed to be 24ish and Nancy was 35 at the time. Nancy has the rare distinction of being in 3 soaps - DS, The Drs. and RH were all eps were preserved. Only her time on OLTL is not.

I agree about Sarah Felder being brilliant and none of the Shioban recasts worked for me.

by Anonymousreply 80August 15, 2020 2:46 PM

Oscar Winner Fisher Stevens on Ryan's Hope

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81August 15, 2020 2:48 PM

RH was never very popular. Ironic because ABC had the blockbuster trio of AMC, OLTL and GH but RH just could never catch that lighting. In fact, it was often the lowest rated ABC soap.

by Anonymousreply 82August 15, 2020 5:19 PM

Wanted to add that a primary reason ABC kept RH around was because it was considered a "prestige soap", sort of like "Family" on ABC primetime. Lots of awards but not overly popular.

by Anonymousreply 83August 15, 2020 5:20 PM

I never watched RH as a kid because my local market never carried it.

I saw it at the end of its run because I was in college by then. That town's ABC affiliate did carry it, so I'd watch while I had lunch or chilled out in my dorm.

by Anonymousreply 84August 15, 2020 6:14 PM

They did several of those opening scenes and all of them had a shot of Maeve and Johnny with their mouths wide open.

by Anonymousreply 85August 15, 2020 6:29 PM

Permanently affixed in my memory; a scene in which David Sederholm and a young Grant Show played brothers, sharing a room, both shirtless...one was in small white boxers and the other in a white towel. It was a scene of visual perfection.

by Anonymousreply 86August 15, 2020 6:40 PM

How old were you at the time R86? 😃

by Anonymousreply 87August 15, 2020 6:42 PM

I loved this show, especially as it was a bit grittier than other soaps at the time and NYC-based.

by Anonymousreply 88August 15, 2020 6:49 PM

SHIRTLESS David Sederholm scene at 44:26

and his muscles are bulging!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89August 15, 2020 6:55 PM

What happened to David? Alive or dead?

by Anonymousreply 90August 15, 2020 7:50 PM

I did summer stock with David Sederholm in in 1973. He was nice. Gorgeous and nice. I worked with and/or knew a bunch of other RYAN'S HOPE cast members over the years.

by Anonymousreply 91August 15, 2020 7:54 PM

Every clip looks so BORING. The show clearly had great actors though! And I believe every word about the quality of the show/writing as Labine had an A-Plus reputation from this show and her GH tenure.

Never knew a soul who watched this fucking show. However, I am remembering Rosie O'Donnell was a huge fan.

by Anonymousreply 92August 15, 2020 10:10 PM

r91 Can you share any memories of the ones you knew ? Eager for personal anecdotes...

For a soap that supposedly no one watched, there sure are a lot of posts today. RH was not as high profile as the rest of ABC Daytime, but its fans were devoted.

by Anonymousreply 93August 15, 2020 10:17 PM

It was well written and relatable until 1979 when the stunt shit with the ape, the shark and mob noise starting overwhelming it.

by Anonymousreply 94August 15, 2020 11:26 PM

1979??? Okay, I'm out. Fuck Ryan's Hope AND Loving. I have yet to see one clip that resonates. But I can tell that the old lady was a good actress. Maeve?

I'm out. Continue with your memories.

by Anonymousreply 95August 15, 2020 11:28 PM

Helen FUCKING Gallagher!

by Anonymousreply 96August 15, 2020 11:30 PM

YES, her! She was wonderful. Clearly. The rest of the show- OVERRATED. BYE!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 97August 15, 2020 11:38 PM

Wow, I used to watch this show in its last years. I was about 10 years old and I would come for lunch from school to watch the tail end of Ryan's Hope and then the first 15 minutes of Loving before returning to school. What a time to be a soap fan.

Ryan's Hope was definitely the better show but Loving was probably the more soapy show.

When I watched it, it had Grant Show, Yasmine Bleeth, Tichina Arnold, etc. You could tell they would go onto other things.

It really seems like a lifetime ago. It's bittersweet to think about those days - definitely enjoyed watching them but it was such a different time. A time when soaps were still beloved and there was still quality left in them.

by Anonymousreply 98August 15, 2020 11:43 PM

R98 They were still allowing students to go home for lunch in the mid/late 1980s?

by Anonymousreply 99August 16, 2020 4:03 PM

Yes, r99. Well, I live in Canada so maybe that's why...

Such different times.

by Anonymousreply 100August 16, 2020 4:10 PM

Rural schools in Saskatchewan still send town students home for lunch.

by Anonymousreply 101August 16, 2020 9:25 PM

I went off campus for lunch in the early nineties in suburban Virginia/dc

by Anonymousreply 102August 16, 2020 10:39 PM

We were never allowed to leave campus from during my school years, 1989-2002.

by Anonymousreply 103August 16, 2020 11:39 PM

What Ryan's Hope lacked in budget, especially in the show's early years, they more than made up for with unique and enticing characters.

by Anonymousreply 104August 18, 2020 5:50 PM

R104, but the characters were never truly lovable. Significant that the character who was probably the most notable was villainous Deliah. The Ryans were just so sanctimonious. There was a lot of satisfaction when we learned what a cad Johnny Ryan really was.

by Anonymousreply 105August 18, 2020 6:02 PM

R105 Not true. Many were quite lovable, particularly the Maeve character, who was religious and morally upright, but also warm and loving both in the writing and in Helen Gallagher's performance. Delia was also very lovable -- an often villainous nutcase, but lovable nonetheless. Again thanks to the writing and both Ilene Kristen and then Randall Edwards.

by Anonymousreply 106August 19, 2020 3:22 PM

Why does no one mention my run as Dee? I worked for Claire on WTHI.

And I dated David Cassidy

by Anonymousreply 107August 19, 2020 11:57 PM

R107 Because you lasted maybe about a week and were quickly dispatched.

by Anonymousreply 108August 20, 2020 2:43 PM

My mother (Doctorate in education) LOVED Ryan's Hope to the degree she would buy all the "collectible" magazines at the grocery store (in as covert a manner as she possibly could,) so I grew up with "Soap Opera Digest Presents the Ryan's Hope Year in Pictures" and whatnot as steady reading material. It seriously took me years to figure out when the magazine was talking about "Siobhan" they meant who I thought was "Shavonne." Give me a break, I was 7.

Years ago, when my job required me to wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning, I found out that SOAPNet was showing reruns of Ryan's Hope in the morning, so I tried to watch like I did when I was a kid. One night, I called my mother to tell her her old standby was being rerun...

Me: Hey Mom, they are showing Ryan's Hope on SOAPNet at 4am every day Mom: Amazing. What's going on now? Me: Well, Seneca came to the bar to talk to Maeve. Mom: Well, this will take weeks. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 109August 20, 2020 3:23 PM

I watched all the ABC soaps growing up but RH the least and I lived in NYC. My mother always watched OLTL on and off with Vicky and then on Wednesdays we had a half day off from school and would go to our Aunt's house till parents got off of work and she watched all the ABC soaps starting with Ryans hope. Started watching General Hospital after school and AMC and OLTL in the summer and holidays. Not sure why I wasn't a big fan of RH. Then the VCR came out and taped all my shows.

I kind of gave them up in college and then started to watch again occasionally.

by Anonymousreply 110August 20, 2020 9:15 PM

I watched it. Garth turned into some creepy dad to Lily?

I think the changed out the Roger for the soap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111August 20, 2020 9:24 PM

There was a Ryan's Hope Reunion on The Locher Room and Catherine Larson (Lizzie) couldn't make it, but she sent a video which Locher posted on his Instagram account

Anyways long story short, Catherine Larson is now a female Chaplain - she found god

by Anonymousreply 112December 11, 2020 2:33 AM

Highlight of Locher's reunion was a surprise appearance by Cali Timmons -- just as beautiful today as she was 30+ years ago. She was teary eyed reminiscing about RH. She met her husband on the show, co-star Geoff Pierson (Frank Ryan), also on the reunion.

by Anonymousreply 113December 11, 2020 12:57 PM

Delia cheating on Frank with Roger who I thought was very sexy.

by Anonymousreply 114December 11, 2020 12:59 PM

There was no super couple on this show except for Mary and Jack.

by Anonymousreply 115December 27, 2020 11:56 PM

This is the only soap opera I watched, except one summer when I watched the gay Billy story line on one life to live

Oh, and EastEnders of course

by Anonymousreply 116December 27, 2020 11:58 PM

Biggest surprise of the RH reunion in the Locher Room came at the very end when Ilene Kristen said that ABC was leaning toward cancelling Loving, but Agnes Nixon intervened and RH got cancelled instead.

by Anonymousreply 117December 28, 2020 12:27 AM

I loved Randall Edwards as Delia. When the gorilla Prince Albert kidnapped her I was hooked as a kid ! Really wish she had done more after she left RH...

by Anonymousreply 118December 28, 2020 5:21 PM

Locher had another RH reunion today, this one for the Rae-Kim-Michael triangle.

by Anonymousreply 119March 26, 2021 2:14 AM

I am miffed I missed the reunion but watching it now on YouTube. It's excellent. They all look great. Jimmy Wleck is still fucking hot.

Love hearing the stories about Helen Gallagher.

by Anonymousreply 120March 26, 2021 2:37 AM

Agnes didn't get RH cancelled, but her actions led to its eventual cancellation. What she did was use her clout to have ABC move the dying Loving from 11:30 am in most markets to the 12:30 pm sweet spot just before AMC, which had been the modestly rated RH's home for years. RH was pushed back to the noon time slot, the hour when many of the affiliates air their newscasts Thus, RH lost a ton of affiliates with the time shift and its ratings plummeted by 50%. It pretty much sat at the bottom of the pile with the likes of Search and AW until its cancellation in 1988. Meanwhile, Loving performed worse that RH in the 12:30 slot and was never successful.

by Anonymousreply 121March 26, 2021 3:15 AM

My late father's favorite show. He worked nights so he watched it every day and they started to watch the entire ABC lineup. I began to watch with him when I was home. Such great memories. I believe it was the only soap where the lead characters were not rich. Yes they had some rich characters on the show, but at least in the early years the Ryan's were the stars of the show. I always loved Claire Labine too.

by Anonymousreply 122March 26, 2021 3:23 AM

[quote] I did summer stock with David Sederholm in in 1973. He was nice. Gorgeous and nice.

Was David Sederholm of the homosexual variety?

by Anonymousreply 123March 26, 2021 7:25 AM

Our local ABC affiliate didn't carry it during the final years, but we could pick it up from a distant Canadian station, but the reception was lousy.

by Anonymousreply 124March 26, 2021 7:29 AM

Even in its "worst" years when Labine/Meyer weren't writing (1981-1982; 1984-1986?), the quality of the writing, especially the dialogue, was still miles better than many other soaps at the time.

by Anonymousreply 125March 26, 2021 4:58 PM

David Sederholm and Grant Show as brothers -- one only in a towel, the other only in short white boxers. A young gay man's dream. James Wlcek -- forgetaboutit. This show really know how to recruit the hunks.

by Anonymousreply 126March 26, 2021 5:42 PM

RH was a great show but it was never part of the ABC Big 3. It had a prime time slow, before AMC but never really was a huge hit.

by Anonymousreply 127March 27, 2021 12:10 AM

The first or five years were pure magic, but then ABC interfered and tried to make the show younger and glitzier. Michael Corbett mentioned this during his recent RH reunion with Locher. He said he and Kelli Maroney were brought on specifically to appeal to a younger audience and to add a touch of sexiness and glamour, and the old guard actors on the show were not particularly thrilled with the new direction. He and Louise Shaffer said it was very tense behind the scenes. Corbett said that he couldn't wait to work with his idol, Helen Gallagher. He recounted that there was a scene written that included dialogue between his character and Maeve. Miss Gallagher wasn't having it, and refused to do scenes with him. Her lines were given to Randall Edwards' Delia.

by Anonymousreply 128March 27, 2021 12:24 AM

[quote] He said he and Kelli Maroney were brought on specifically to appeal to a younger audience and to add a touch of sexiness and glamour, and the old guard actors on the show were not particularly thrilled with the new direction. He and Louise Shaffer said it was very tense behind the scenes.

Claire Labine was still head writer at this time, and she still had creative control

It was wrong for Helen Gallagher to take it out on Corbett -

by Anonymousreply 129March 27, 2021 12:28 AM

^I think ABC forced Labine/Mayer to add the new characters. The show completely lost direction when they sold the show to ABC.

by Anonymousreply 130March 27, 2021 12:29 AM

[quote] ^I think ABC forced Labine/Mayer to add the new characters.

I'm not so sure about that - because Labine had worked those core characters into every conceivable romantic entanglement you could think of

Delia marrying both Ryan brothers? Faith dating both Ryan brothers? Rae being involved with Frank, while her daughter battled Jill for the affections of Seneca. And Jill battling both Woodward mother and daughter for Frank & Seneca? There was nowhere else to go, but bring in new characters by that point.

[quote] The show completely lost direction when they sold the show to ABC.

That is when the Kirkland family was introduced.

by Anonymousreply 131March 27, 2021 12:33 AM

Gallagher must have thought very highly of herself to act like a bully to newer, younger co-stars.

by Anonymousreply 132March 27, 2021 12:55 AM

Gallagher sounds like a total diva, but she was really wonderful in the role, and the heart and soul of the show.

by Anonymousreply 133March 27, 2021 12:57 AM

Oh, definitely. Gallagher was wonderful in the role. But hearing her be so mean to newcomers takes the shine off of it.

by Anonymousreply 134March 27, 2021 1:18 AM

The Kim-Michael-Rae triangle gave RH some much needed energy at a time when no other couples were really taking off.

Frank just didn't spark w/ Faith -- and another Ryan-Coleridge pairing wasn't exactly a fresh idea. Poor Rose was thanklessly paired w/ the widowed Finelli -- no one was willing to accept him w/ anyone but dear departed Mary. And this was before Marg Helgenberger joined and the Siobhan + Joe Novak pairing took off.

The show needed new characters to give the Ryan's (and the revolving door of actors who played them) a break... Kelli Maroney, Michael Corbett and Louise Shaffer had great chemistry together and were much more entertaining than anything else Ryan's Hope had going on at the time.

by Anonymousreply 135March 27, 2021 1:33 AM

R128 you could have just said Kate Mulgrew left and RH was never the same. Only Sarah Felder as Siobhan kept my interest until she left.

by Anonymousreply 136March 27, 2021 7:14 PM

Am I the only one who enjoyed the "Kirkland's Hope" years? It was refreshing to see some glamour on this dowdy series. Christine Jones was phenomenal as Catsy, as she has been in all of her soap roles.

by Anonymousreply 137March 27, 2021 7:28 PM

Am I the only one who enjoyed the "Kirkland's Hope" years? It was refreshing to see some glamour on this dowdy series. Christine Jones was phenomenal as Catsy, as she has been in all of her soap roles.

by Anonymousreply 138March 27, 2021 7:28 PM

[quote] Am I the only one who enjoyed the "Kirkland's Hope" years? It was refreshing to see some glamour on this dowdy series. Christine Jones was phenomenal as Catsy, as she has been in all of her soap roles.

Christine Jones signed a two year contract, but she only lasted 3 weeks - before the ink was dried, ABC convinced Claire Labine to return and she promptly wrote out most of the Kirkland family

We went from Catsy saying one day, Hollis will never come back to her. To the next day Catsy saying Hollis has left Rae for me! then they all went off to switzerland together.

by Anonymousreply 139March 27, 2021 9:04 PM

I'm front and center!

by Anonymousreply 140March 27, 2021 9:06 PM

Bernie Barrow seemed like a good guy. Unlike uppity Gallagher who resented the infusion of new characters, this wasn't his first rodeo, having appeared on at least Edge of Night and Secret Storm.

by Anonymousreply 141March 27, 2021 9:11 PM

Christine Jones was by far the greatest Vicki on One Life To Live. Erika Slezak looked like a dowdy maid or governess.

by Anonymousreply 142April 9, 2021 1:55 PM

Hi Christine Jones Troll!!

by Anonymousreply 143April 9, 2021 2:44 PM

[quote]Christine Jones was by far the greatest Vicki on One Life To Live.

Vicki = Y&R

Vicky = AW

Viki = OLTL

by Anonymousreply 144April 9, 2021 3:05 PM

I remember on an old soap thread, a poster claimed that Agnes Nixon took one look at Christine Jones as Viki and cried tears of joy, because here finally was the embodiment of what she'd intended Viki to be from the get-go...attractive, confident, strong, and not the eternally middle-aged matron who played canasta with the Craigs that was Slezak.

by Anonymousreply 145April 9, 2021 3:12 PM

It is true that Aggie felt that way. Jones was a combination of Gillian Spencer and Joanna Dorian, and they both were better as Viki than Ms. Slezak. Jones had been a model, and had that studied elegance. In truth Aggie's ultimate Viki would have been Maeve McGuire.

by Anonymousreply 146April 9, 2021 11:52 PM

My favorite Ryan's Hope memory: shirtless Grant Show and David Sederholm in white boxers and a white towel respectively.

by Anonymousreply 147April 10, 2021 12:40 AM

I am *not* the David Sederholm troll. In fact, RH eventually stopped airing on my local affiliate, but I did watch it sometimes when I went to college. David was HOT. Is he still alive?

I sought out this thread because I just recently watched the Locher Room where they say Agnes Nixon was the reason ABC cancelled Ryan's Hope instead of Loving.

I have met Joshua "Ash" Adams a couple of times. Nice guy. A little out there, but nice. James Wlcek is still hot.

by Anonymousreply 148June 18, 2021 5:00 PM

David Sederholm was indeed hot. (Did you know he was the union rep? So said my friend who worked for the actor's union.) The scene with him in a towel and Grant Show in tight white boxer briefs was swoonworthy. Jim Wlcek -- so hot clothed or unclothed. Why did he leave acting?

by Anonymousreply 149June 18, 2021 5:20 PM

Leigh Kirkland survived; married Jack in the finale.

LOVEd the scene with Maeve and Jack before the wedding.

by Anonymousreply 150June 18, 2021 5:56 PM

In the early 1980s, I watched the ABC lineup (AMC, OLTL, GH, EON) during the summer and winter breaks, but I could never get into RH at the time. It always seemed like a smart, good quality show but dull. I recently watched some episodes on YT, and the show benefitted from the Rae-Michael-Kimberly story. I found those scenes interesting, and I fast forwarded through the rest of the show. For a show set in NYC, I think it should have been more excitement. By the way, I loved the show's opening theme music; it was upbeat.

by Anonymousreply 151June 20, 2021 5:03 PM

The Rae Michael Kim story was a standout; it did seem similar to the other abc shows especially GH that had the Lesley/ David Hamilton /Laura

by Anonymousreply 152June 20, 2021 5:07 PM

The established cast resented the "ABC actors", as Michael Corbett referred to himself and Kelli Maroney on Miss Locher's RH reunion. Helen Gallagher wouldn't even talk to him. Corbett said that Helen refused to do a scene with him on the bar set, and her lines were quickly given to Randall Edwards. Well smell Helen!

by Anonymousreply 153June 20, 2021 10:06 PM

There was a definite rivalry between West Coast soaps and East Coast. EC thought WC was all about hair and makeup and WC thought EC were just jealous that their shows had bigger budgets. Corbett and Maroney seemed to fit the WC mentality even though they were in New York.

by Anonymousreply 154June 20, 2021 10:13 PM

Karen Morris Gowdy is probably the best remembered Faith, yet she was such a bad actress. She was obviously hired for her looks.

by Anonymousreply 155June 20, 2021 10:28 PM

I remember getting a kick out off Maeve’s accent. One time my sister was Reading from a mag & mispronounced Melanie as me-LAY-née, so I kept pronouncing it like that, because that’s how Maeve would say it.

by Anonymousreply 156June 20, 2021 10:32 PM

Karen also had the worst teeth.

by Anonymousreply 157June 20, 2021 10:35 PM

Michael Levin (Jack Fenelli) turns 90 next year! He didn't exactly look young 45 years ago, but I can't wrap my head around the fact that Jack Fenelli is approaching 90 years old.

by Anonymousreply 158June 20, 2021 10:48 PM

John Gabriel aka Seneca Beaulac has died.

by Anonymousreply 159June 20, 2021 10:58 PM

R158- I watched RH a bit when Soapnet ran them super early in the morning, and I was struck by how hot Michael Levin was in the early days of the show. What a handsome man.

by Anonymousreply 160June 20, 2021 11:36 PM

Michael and Kate Mulgrew had terrific chemistry. He was also great with Sarah Felder, the first Siobahn, but ABC forced Labine/Mayer to fire her because they thought she wasn't attractive enough. I think they replaced her with Ann Gillespie, who wasn't especially memorable in the role.

by Anonymousreply 161June 20, 2021 11:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!