Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

INXS Appreciation Thread

I've seen INXS six times and have been to 1,000 concerts in my life. It's very rare an act can make a crowd lose their shit like this. I wish I was at the concert back in 1991 but I live in the US. US crowds don't do this and never have. Europeans crowds are the best. What fun. I would have been right in the middle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4508/05/2020

Really under appreciated band - they ended too quickly.

I lost much of my respect for St. Bob Geldof after reading about his involvement in Michael's death.

by Anonymousreply 107/01/2020

by Anonymousreply 207/01/2020

why don’t American crowds do that? Americans are generally more uninhibited than Europeans yet they don’t seem to let go at rock concerts as their continental counterparts do.

by Anonymousreply 307/01/2020

Can't leave out. . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407/01/2020

Jon Farris was one of the hottest drummers ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507/01/2020

Live Baby Live got a 4K restoration. It looks great.

by Anonymousreply 607/01/2020

Um - American crowds are generally considered the most vocal and free. Many European crowds are very tame - excruciatingly so.

I don't understand what you're talking about.

But INXS's first 2 albums are masterpieces.

by Anonymousreply 707/01/2020

I think it depends on the performer, the set list, the crowd, the general vibe. Sometimes I will see the same concert twice and it can be a completely different show especially due to the crowd.

by Anonymousreply 807/01/2020

I recently watched a documentary about Hutchence/INXS called Mystify, it was good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 907/01/2020

[quote]I lost much of my respect for St. Bob Geldof after reading about his involvement in Michael's death.

R1 IIRC, Hutchence had an affair with Geldof’s wife, who divorced him to marry Hutchence, who got heavily into booze and cocaine while Geldolf struggled to help his ex-wife stay sober. Yet GELDOLF was responsible for Hutchence’s downward spiral? How so?

by Anonymousreply 1007/01/2020

^^ Dammit - I misspelled “Geldof” repeatedly. Forgive me, Saint Bob.

by Anonymousreply 1107/01/2020

Saint Bob NEVER forgives, [R11]. Can I have your stuff?

by Anonymousreply 1207/01/2020

R10, St. Bob refused to allow his ex-wife, who had custody of their minor child, to leave the country. Facing the prospect of months alone was a huge factor in Michael's depression.

by Anonymousreply 1307/02/2020

Yeah. That was nowhere near as uninhibited as the crowd I was in at the Pearl Jam / Ramones concert when PJ was on their anti ticket master crusade. No security to speak of and a mosh pit like I hadn’t seen since the eighties. Unbelievable how good the Ramones were.

Saw INXS a couple of times. The best crowd was at an amphitheater. But it really wasn’t OTT. INXS is one of my favorite bands though. I have most of their stuff on vinyl.

by Anonymousreply 1407/02/2020

INXS was my first concert. I saw them a total of 4 times and one time, my friend and I slept in the parking lot to get tickets as soon as they went on sale. Lots of fun.

There was a great INXS/Hutchence/Geldof thread on here a while back that had a lot of juicy info. Sad story all around, of course.

Had the band ended after Michael's death I think that their legacy (at least in the US) would be stronger. But working with Terence Trent D'Arby and doing the reality show make them look sad and desperate though 80s kids remember the highlights.

by Anonymousreply 1507/02/2020

Michael was so incredibly hot - even without his sexy long hair. Belinda Carlisle and Michael made quite a beautiful couple.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1607/02/2020

Thanks for sharing R16

by Anonymousreply 1707/02/2020

R5 - agree about Jon Farriss

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1807/02/2020

I don’t know, when I see European audiences at big rock concerts they seem to all jump in unison, all waving flags, singing along, all oblivious to each other’s odors or personal space. Ever see a British crowd react to Queen? or a German crowd react to vintage heavy metal? I guess it depends on lots of other factors but it seems American crowds are now kept far away from the action (due to ticket prices and security concerns) and their mark of appreciation of the artist is their fraus shrieking “WOOOOOOO!!!!”

by Anonymousreply 1907/02/2020

Tim Farriss had the meatiest butt poured into those leather pants!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2007/02/2020

1000 concerts? You go every week?

by Anonymousreply 2107/02/2020

R19, I think the fact that they basically put X in the water in Europe is one reason.

by Anonymousreply 2207/02/2020

R20, I had forgotten about that video - thanks.

You're right about Tim. Even with that awful Toni Home Perm, he's sex on stilts.

by Anonymousreply 2307/02/2020

I ❤️❤️❤️ INXS.

R20, my favorite line is “At 98 we all rotate”.

Simple, yet truthful & somewhat profound, all at once.

by Anonymousreply 2407/02/2020

[quote][R10], St. Bob refused to allow his ex-wife, who had custody of their minor child, to leave the country. Facing the prospect of months alone was a huge factor in Michael's depression.

Paula and Michael were heavy drinkers/drug users, and there was an incident where Michael pulled a knife on a bandmate in a fit of rage. Maybe Bob kept his kids in the country out of spite, but he probably was also legitimately concerned for their safety. How Paula got joint custody in the first place is a mystery. Sad story all around.

by Anonymousreply 2507/02/2020

The many faces of Jon . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2607/02/2020

Paula was a big ol’ mess. Bob had every right to keep his kids in the UK for the holidays. She could have accepted that and just spent that time with Michael and their kid. It happens all the time in divorced families. I’m sure she ate his ear off moaning about how much she missed her kids to him. And what a great mother she was, eventually ODing in front of her toddler.

by Anonymousreply 2707/02/2020

[Quote] 1000 concerts? You go every week?

There are times I go to 4 to 5 gigs in a week.

by Anonymousreply 2807/02/2020

Those saying US crowds are more lively compared to Europeans crowds?

YOU ARE WRONG!

by Anonymousreply 2907/02/2020

Well of course not. But they are on their best manners until the fooball game starts.

by Anonymousreply 3007/02/2020

I'll just leave this here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3107/02/2020

Hallucinate, elucidate, communicate, evacuate

by Anonymousreply 3207/03/2020

If you are pitting St. Bob Geldof against Michael Hutchence, I will take Michael.

by Anonymousreply 3307/03/2020

What does "at 98 we all rotate" mean? I have no idea, but the doc mentioned upthread is really good, I think it was co-produced by Michael's sister and I believe it was based on the book she wrote about him. Did anyone read it? Can we have excerpts? Where is our resident autobiography troll when we need him?

by Anonymousreply 3407/04/2020

It means that you must turn to your left and then up and back.

Beautiful Girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3507/31/2020

R32, just back down and then back up.

by Anonymousreply 3607/31/2020

Love is no pain.

by Anonymousreply 3707/31/2020

St. Bob is selling wienrs on the streets of London?

by Anonymousreply 3807/31/2020

I was lucky enough to see them in 1988, my senior year of high school, at the Louisville Gardens. Great show, general admission. This has always been one of my favorite songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3908/01/2020

The lie about Michael's death was horrible and Bob Geldof is to blame for it. Beautiful man gone too soon. The ass beating he took from the cab driver seems to be the source of his spiral. P.S. it appears that Kylie Minogue was really in love with him. They surprised me as a couple.

by Anonymousreply 4008/01/2020

Paloma's remake. Fab!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4108/01/2020

In addition to Hutchence and Tim Farriss, can we also talk about bassist Garry Gary Beers, seen below in 2016 still looking good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4208/01/2020

What happened to JD Fortune? He was sexy as fuck when he was singing with them

by Anonymousreply 4308/01/2020

If someone would post a picture of St. Bob here, the kids will be alright.

by Anonymousreply 4408/04/2020

INXS died with Hutchence. Get a life.

by Anonymousreply 4508/05/2020
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!