Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

INXS Appreciation Thread

I've seen INXS six times and have been to 1,000 concerts in my life. It's very rare an act can make a crowd lose their shit like this. I wish I was at the concert back in 1991 but I live in the US. US crowds don't do this and never have. Europeans crowds are the best. What fun. I would have been right in the middle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 26, 2020 12:45 AM

Really under appreciated band - they ended too quickly.

I lost much of my respect for St. Bob Geldof after reading about his involvement in Michael's death.

by Anonymousreply 1July 2, 2020 3:09 AM

by Anonymousreply 2July 2, 2020 5:34 AM

why don’t American crowds do that? Americans are generally more uninhibited than Europeans yet they don’t seem to let go at rock concerts as their continental counterparts do.

by Anonymousreply 3July 2, 2020 5:37 AM

Can't leave out. . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 2, 2020 6:04 AM

Jon Farris was one of the hottest drummers ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 2, 2020 6:41 AM

Live Baby Live got a 4K restoration. It looks great.

by Anonymousreply 6July 2, 2020 6:47 AM

Um - American crowds are generally considered the most vocal and free. Many European crowds are very tame - excruciatingly so.

I don't understand what you're talking about.

But INXS's first 2 albums are masterpieces.

by Anonymousreply 7July 2, 2020 6:48 AM

I think it depends on the performer, the set list, the crowd, the general vibe. Sometimes I will see the same concert twice and it can be a completely different show especially due to the crowd.

by Anonymousreply 8July 2, 2020 6:53 AM

I recently watched a documentary about Hutchence/INXS called Mystify, it was good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 2, 2020 7:06 AM

[quote]I lost much of my respect for St. Bob Geldof after reading about his involvement in Michael's death.

R1 IIRC, Hutchence had an affair with Geldof’s wife, who divorced him to marry Hutchence, who got heavily into booze and cocaine while Geldolf struggled to help his ex-wife stay sober. Yet GELDOLF was responsible for Hutchence’s downward spiral? How so?

by Anonymousreply 10July 2, 2020 7:26 AM

^^ Dammit - I misspelled “Geldof” repeatedly. Forgive me, Saint Bob.

by Anonymousreply 11July 2, 2020 7:29 AM

Saint Bob NEVER forgives, [R11]. Can I have your stuff?

by Anonymousreply 12July 2, 2020 7:33 AM

R10, St. Bob refused to allow his ex-wife, who had custody of their minor child, to leave the country. Facing the prospect of months alone was a huge factor in Michael's depression.

by Anonymousreply 13July 2, 2020 10:58 AM

Yeah. That was nowhere near as uninhibited as the crowd I was in at the Pearl Jam / Ramones concert when PJ was on their anti ticket master crusade. No security to speak of and a mosh pit like I hadn’t seen since the eighties. Unbelievable how good the Ramones were.

Saw INXS a couple of times. The best crowd was at an amphitheater. But it really wasn’t OTT. INXS is one of my favorite bands though. I have most of their stuff on vinyl.

by Anonymousreply 14July 2, 2020 11:32 AM

INXS was my first concert. I saw them a total of 4 times and one time, my friend and I slept in the parking lot to get tickets as soon as they went on sale. Lots of fun.

There was a great INXS/Hutchence/Geldof thread on here a while back that had a lot of juicy info. Sad story all around, of course.

Had the band ended after Michael's death I think that their legacy (at least in the US) would be stronger. But working with Terence Trent D'Arby and doing the reality show make them look sad and desperate though 80s kids remember the highlights.

by Anonymousreply 15July 2, 2020 12:57 PM

Michael was so incredibly hot - even without his sexy long hair. Belinda Carlisle and Michael made quite a beautiful couple.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 2, 2020 1:00 PM

Thanks for sharing R16

by Anonymousreply 17July 2, 2020 1:06 PM

R5 - agree about Jon Farriss

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 2, 2020 1:09 PM

I don’t know, when I see European audiences at big rock concerts they seem to all jump in unison, all waving flags, singing along, all oblivious to each other’s odors or personal space. Ever see a British crowd react to Queen? or a German crowd react to vintage heavy metal? I guess it depends on lots of other factors but it seems American crowds are now kept far away from the action (due to ticket prices and security concerns) and their mark of appreciation of the artist is their fraus shrieking “WOOOOOOO!!!!”

by Anonymousreply 19July 2, 2020 2:29 PM

Tim Farriss had the meatiest butt poured into those leather pants!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 2, 2020 2:34 PM

1000 concerts? You go every week?

by Anonymousreply 21July 2, 2020 2:36 PM

R19, I think the fact that they basically put X in the water in Europe is one reason.

by Anonymousreply 22July 2, 2020 2:48 PM

R20, I had forgotten about that video - thanks.

You're right about Tim. Even with that awful Toni Home Perm, he's sex on stilts.

by Anonymousreply 23July 2, 2020 3:06 PM

I ❤️❤️❤️ INXS.

R20, my favorite line is “At 98 we all rotate”.

Simple, yet truthful & somewhat profound, all at once.

by Anonymousreply 24July 2, 2020 3:27 PM

[quote][R10], St. Bob refused to allow his ex-wife, who had custody of their minor child, to leave the country. Facing the prospect of months alone was a huge factor in Michael's depression.

Paula and Michael were heavy drinkers/drug users, and there was an incident where Michael pulled a knife on a bandmate in a fit of rage. Maybe Bob kept his kids in the country out of spite, but he probably was also legitimately concerned for their safety. How Paula got joint custody in the first place is a mystery. Sad story all around.

by Anonymousreply 25July 2, 2020 3:31 PM

The many faces of Jon . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 2, 2020 7:08 PM

Paula was a big ol’ mess. Bob had every right to keep his kids in the UK for the holidays. She could have accepted that and just spent that time with Michael and their kid. It happens all the time in divorced families. I’m sure she ate his ear off moaning about how much she missed her kids to him. And what a great mother she was, eventually ODing in front of her toddler.

by Anonymousreply 27July 2, 2020 7:22 PM

[Quote] 1000 concerts? You go every week?

There are times I go to 4 to 5 gigs in a week.

by Anonymousreply 28July 2, 2020 7:48 PM

Those saying US crowds are more lively compared to Europeans crowds?

YOU ARE WRONG!

by Anonymousreply 29July 2, 2020 7:50 PM

Well of course not. But they are on their best manners until the fooball game starts.

by Anonymousreply 30July 2, 2020 7:55 PM

I'll just leave this here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 2, 2020 8:43 PM

Hallucinate, elucidate, communicate, evacuate

by Anonymousreply 32July 4, 2020 6:03 AM

If you are pitting St. Bob Geldof against Michael Hutchence, I will take Michael.

by Anonymousreply 33July 4, 2020 6:05 AM

What does "at 98 we all rotate" mean? I have no idea, but the doc mentioned upthread is really good, I think it was co-produced by Michael's sister and I believe it was based on the book she wrote about him. Did anyone read it? Can we have excerpts? Where is our resident autobiography troll when we need him?

by Anonymousreply 34July 4, 2020 3:10 PM

It means that you must turn to your left and then up and back.

Beautiful Girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 1, 2020 7:15 AM

R32, just back down and then back up.

by Anonymousreply 36August 1, 2020 7:17 AM

Love is no pain.

by Anonymousreply 37August 1, 2020 7:23 AM

St. Bob is selling wienrs on the streets of London?

by Anonymousreply 38August 1, 2020 7:25 AM

I was lucky enough to see them in 1988, my senior year of high school, at the Louisville Gardens. Great show, general admission. This has always been one of my favorite songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 1, 2020 8:04 AM

The lie about Michael's death was horrible and Bob Geldof is to blame for it. Beautiful man gone too soon. The ass beating he took from the cab driver seems to be the source of his spiral. P.S. it appears that Kylie Minogue was really in love with him. They surprised me as a couple.

by Anonymousreply 40August 1, 2020 3:56 PM

Paloma's remake. Fab!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 2, 2020 2:30 AM

In addition to Hutchence and Tim Farriss, can we also talk about bassist Garry Gary Beers, seen below in 2016 still looking good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 2, 2020 2:43 AM

What happened to JD Fortune? He was sexy as fuck when he was singing with them

by Anonymousreply 43August 2, 2020 2:50 AM

If someone would post a picture of St. Bob here, the kids will be alright.

by Anonymousreply 44August 5, 2020 7:44 AM

INXS died with Hutchence. Get a life.

by Anonymousreply 45August 5, 2020 8:25 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 46August 20, 2020 5:56 PM

Never saw that Paloma Faith before. (Better than the original!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 20, 2020 6:02 PM

R20, I had forgotten about Tim Farriss' meaty butt, but he also looked like Rosie O'Donnell with that '80's permed mullet.

by Anonymousreply 48August 20, 2020 7:20 PM

I had forgotten the song "Suicide Blonde" until this thread popped up in my feed.

Except for the pronouns, it could apply to any pretty-boy blond gay too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 22, 2020 2:42 AM

[quote] What happened to JD Fortune? He was sexy as fuck when he was singing with them

The one that wipes his ass with baby wipes?

by Anonymousreply 50August 22, 2020 2:53 AM

Meh. Midnight Oil was/is a much better band.

by Anonymousreply 51August 22, 2020 2:55 AM

I prefer Vivian Vance, lead singer of SUFFICIENT.

by Anonymousreply 52August 22, 2020 2:56 AM

Icehouse!

by Anonymousreply 53August 22, 2020 3:01 AM

INXS - I'm Only Looking (Deeper & Deeper) (David Morales Bad Yard Club Mix)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 22, 2020 6:57 AM

No normal man knows what a baby wipe is.

by Anonymousreply 55August 22, 2020 7:51 AM

I still blame Geldorph for killing Micahel.

by Anonymousreply 56August 22, 2020 7:53 AM

Love sensation. Suicide Blonde.

by Anonymousreply 57August 22, 2020 7:54 AM

Errr, r55:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 22, 2020 8:13 AM

In an interview where he brought up the ass kicking by the cab driver R40 mentioned, Hutchence said that the worst part of the incident was that it prevented him from smelling or tasting anything. Apparently, when he got knocked out, the back of his head landed on concrete — he lost some of his senses.

He said, and I paraphrase, “The worst part is that I can’t smell or taste pussy anymore.”

Also, JD Fortune wasn’t very good, but he was also put in the impossible position of replacing Michael Hutchence. He was always a poor man’s Dave Gahan.

by Anonymousreply 59August 22, 2020 9:06 AM

I'm not American, OP, so I don't understand American neologisms.

So what do you mean by the "crowd lose their shit"?

by Anonymousreply 60August 22, 2020 9:26 AM

I always though Michael Hutchence was repulsive. He fell asleep during one of his heroin binges and a cigarette burned his fingers to the bone without him noticing. Bob Geldof probably was an asshole, but I totally understand he fought to keep the kids away from Hutchence and Yates. Hutchence was bogan trash!

by Anonymousreply 61August 22, 2020 9:30 AM

Love INXS !!!

New Sensation & Disappear are my 2 faves from years of INXS hits.

The drummer was the hottest band member imo 😍

by Anonymousreply 62August 22, 2020 1:02 PM

Did anyone see the new documentary about him, Mystify? It did a pretty good job of depicting the shy person that he was underneath the cocky rockstar exterior. It was made by his friend, Richard Lowenstein, who said that he was motivated when he said that he could not recognize the person depicted in all of the other docs, series etc

He did have big problems with fidelity, though and probably had cad tendencies...

by Anonymousreply 63August 22, 2020 8:34 PM

^ 'Mystify' had long interviews with Michael's twin sister who demonstrated that Michael was pretty when young but would be a chipmunk-faced wrinkly man now at age 60.

by Anonymousreply 64August 22, 2020 11:54 PM

r64, That wasn't his twin, she was his half sister....

by Anonymousreply 65August 23, 2020 12:14 AM

When I finally got a passport over 15 years ago, my first trip abroad was to Prague, Czech Republican. Everyone wondered why I chose Prague, and it was seriously because I love the music video for INXS's "Never Tear Us Apart."

by Anonymousreply 66August 23, 2020 12:37 AM

I saw them at St. Andrews Hall in Detroit for their The Swing tour (83-84).

Was grateful to have had the chance to seer them before they broke.

The two-part bio movie was much better than you'd think.

by Anonymousreply 67August 23, 2020 1:01 AM

I am watching Mystify right now. he was so so so beautiful in an extremely masculine way. I also see Bono and Gavin Rossdale having copied him visually quite a bit.

by Anonymousreply 68August 23, 2020 1:11 AM

One of the few 80's bands whose music really holds up still today. Michael Hutchence was gorgeous, so sexy and his death was so sad. Hard to believe it will be 23 years this November.

by Anonymousreply 69August 23, 2020 1:53 AM

That head of hair was astonishing. if he had babies with his girlfriend Michelle the baby would have come out with a full Tawny Kitaen head of hair.

by Anonymousreply 70August 23, 2020 1:58 AM

I wonder if his last girlfriend, Paula Yates, was as crazy as the tabs made her out to be.... His mom and sister spoke ill of her in their book, but they didn't have many good things to say about any of his girlfriends..

by Anonymousreply 71August 23, 2020 2:04 AM

Shy and sensitive straight boys usually go for strong, bossy women who can lure them out of their shells with kinky sex, drugs and in some cases rock'n roll.

by Anonymousreply 72August 23, 2020 2:09 AM

R59 Brain injuries are insidious and there was likely more going on other than the symptoms he described.

by Anonymousreply 73August 23, 2020 2:11 AM

A few of those guys have meaty asses. I know Tim does, but I think his brother and one of the other ones does too.

by Anonymousreply 74August 23, 2020 2:24 AM

Paula Yates was what a lot of men want, a mother and a whore.

by Anonymousreply 75August 23, 2020 2:34 AM

I liked Dogs in Space.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 23, 2020 2:38 AM

I went to a restaurant in Antibes, late 90’s, there were pictures on the walls of Michael Hutchence and the Danish model (can’t remember her name) dining in the same place

by Anonymousreply 77August 23, 2020 2:44 AM

Helena Christensen

by Anonymousreply 78August 23, 2020 2:49 AM

In the first place, the supposedly adult Michael was "alone" with his brothers, his other bandmates, his birth family and a million Aussie friends. His hotel room on the night he died was a passing parade of visitors and phone calls.

In the second place, why is it Geldof's fault Michael's utterly useless partner couldn't be with him? If he needed her that much, she could have left Tiger with Bob for a week a month and visited Michael on the regular. Michael's money could have easily paid for a live-in nanny for those weeks if she wanted Tiger to have mothering. Geldof didn't have custody of Paula.

Whereas from Geldof's point of view, he was doubtless trying to prevent what did, in fact, happen - tiny child finds mother dead with a needle in her arm.

Mystify does strongly suggest Hutchence had persistent brain damage following the assault in Scandinavia, but Paula didn't have a brain in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 79August 23, 2020 2:56 AM

For the DL readers, Paula wrote a very fun book, Village People, while living in a small village with Bob and the kids, describing village life. It's too bad that drugs took her down, she was a talented writer with a big heart. The whole situation when you include Peaches is just really sad.

by Anonymousreply 80August 23, 2020 3:09 AM

I doubt MH had a brain to begin with, whatever was left of it was pickled in a constant cocktail of booze, drugs, sex and irresponsible thrill seeking. Not sure he ever had any interst beyond being the wild boy who burned the life candle both ends as fast as possible. No way I would have left my children with such a train wreck.

by Anonymousreply 81August 23, 2020 3:20 AM

So did Michael die due to autoerotic aphixiation at a hotel in Sydney?

by Anonymousreply 82August 23, 2020 3:30 AM

Michael used that rope to gain a bat-squeak orgasm.

Jussie used a longer rope to gain ignominy.

by Anonymousreply 83August 23, 2020 4:41 AM

[quote]He did have big problems with fidelity, though and probably had cad tendencies...

Oh, R63, I think I can fall in love with you. Cad? It makes you sound so sweet to me for some strange reason!

by Anonymousreply 84August 23, 2020 8:51 AM

Why thank you r84... (Full disclosure though: I'm a frau...)

by Anonymousreply 85August 23, 2020 10:12 PM

Damn, R85. Why are all the good ones women?

Perhaps you have a gay brother?

We should be friends. You have an appreciation of the wonderful words of the English language.

by Anonymousreply 86August 24, 2020 3:27 AM

And I wonder why all of the good ones are gay.....lol...Are you a writer R86? Litterateur?

by Anonymousreply 87August 26, 2020 12:22 AM

I was lucky enough to have seen INXS on the Listen Like Thieves and Kick tours (as a teen). Saw at least 7 shows in the NYC area. LOVED them, have pics outside the venues with Jon & Tim and caught Michael’s tank top one night too. So sad when Michael had his head injury. I always thought it was a cycling accident but I’m reading here it was a street fight. He should have stayed with Helena, Paula was a messy one.

by Anonymousreply 88August 26, 2020 12:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!