Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

People who don't wear masks during Covid-19 outbreak are psychopaths, according to science

New research provides some initial evidence that certain antagonistic personality traits are associated with ignoring preventative measures meant to halt the spread of the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2.

The study has been peer reviewed and accepted for publication in the journal Social Psychology and Personality Science. It is currently available on the PsyArXiv preprint website.

“On March 31, 2020, Dr. Deborah Birx, the coordinator of the U.S. government’s Coronavirus Task Force, said, ‘There’s no magic bullet. There’s no magic vaccine or therapy. It’s just behaviors. Each of our behaviors, translating into something that changes the course of this viral pandemic over the next 30 days.’ My experience as a psychological scientist as well as a practicing psychologist has convinced me that the importance of psychology and behavior in the prevention and management of a wide range of health problems is enormous,” said study author Pavel S. Blagov, an associate professor and director of the Personality Laboratory at Whitman College.

“This includes personality, or the study of important ways in which people differ. It was clear from reports in the media very early in the COVID-19 pandemic that some people were rejecting advice to socially distance and engage in increased hygiene. There can be many reasons for this, and I thought that personality may play at least a small role in it.”

“I knew that traits from the so-called Dark Triad (narcissism, Machiavellianism, and psychopathy) as well as the traits subsumed within psychopathy are linked to health risk behavior and health problems, and I expected them to be implicated in health behaviors during the pandemic. There is also prior research suggesting that people high on the Dark Triad traits may knowingly and even deliberately put other people’s health at risk, e.g., by engaging in risky sexual behavior and not telling their partner about having HIV or STIs,” Blagov told PsyPost.

“Early in the pandemic, and in subsequent months, there were numerous reports of individuals purposefully coughing, spitting, or even licking door handles in public, either as a way to intimidate others or as a way to rebel against the emerging new norms of social distancing and hygiene. I was curious whether the Dark Triad and psychopathy-related traits may help explain such behavior.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80July 14, 2020 5:29 PM

Modern conservatism, particularly of the libertarian type, is a mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 1June 30, 2020 4:57 PM

From New England Journal of Medicine:

[quote]We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 30, 2020 4:59 PM

R2, the masks aren't there to prevent infected droplets from going in, they're there to prevent infected droplets from going OUT. Apparently this disease can be spread by people who have no symptoms and who don't know they're infected, and wearing masks in public stop or slow that process. So wearing masks isn't done to protect the self, it's done out of concern for others.

So if you're quoting shit like that and refusing to wear a mask … YOU MIGHT BE THE PSYCHOPATH!!!

by Anonymousreply 3June 30, 2020 5:05 PM

Here in Philadelphia they are rethinking the July 3 reopening due to a spike in cases primarily among young people. About one out of every four I pass on the street is not wearing a mask.

by Anonymousreply 4June 30, 2020 5:08 PM

R2, that notion has been updated recently. There are more recent studies that show the proper mask can lessen the chance of the mask wearer's becoming exposed to aerosol particles - which is mostly how Covid spreads.

Further, you can never know when an anticipated "passing interaction" may become a more sustained interaction. Exposure in any given situation can change instantaneously given changed circumstances and human behavior.

The refusal to wear masks is certainly sociopathic and displays the arrogance of the ignorant and inexperienced.

by Anonymousreply 5June 30, 2020 5:10 PM

How very dare all of you. Just posting this information is breaking eleventy-twelve federal laws! I have literal diagnoses and literally cannot wear a mask. I am a sovereign citizen and I am not a puppet. This is not Tuskegee. Your science is politicized. I know my rights.

by Anonymousreply 6June 30, 2020 5:11 PM

Someone here said we should be calling them "germ spreaders", accurate and non-judgmental. Signs on doors should say "NO GERM SPREADERS"

by Anonymousreply 7June 30, 2020 5:17 PM

Totally agree with this. They are psychopaths and cunts.

by Anonymousreply 8June 30, 2020 5:26 PM

It is the governments own fault for lying to us to begin with, that masks wouldn't help so there wouldn't be a run on them and keep first responders from getting them first.

[quote] So, why weren't we told to wear masks in the beginning?

[quote] Fauci "Well, the reason for that is that we were concerned the public health community, and many people were saying this, were concerned that it was at a time when personal protective equipment, including the N95 masks and the surgical masks, were in very short supply. And we wanted to make sure that the people namely, the health care workers, who were brave enough to put themselves in a harm way, to take care of people who you know were infected with the coronavirus and the danger of them getting infected."

You can't lie to me one day and then expect me to believe you when you are telling me the truth tomorrow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 30, 2020 5:26 PM

It's almost as if America is filled with people who are selfish, narcissistic sociopaths...

by Anonymousreply 10June 30, 2020 5:28 PM

It was more important for health care workers to get masks at the beginning of all this.

We were told not to wear masks because people were hoarding them. And we were supposed to be staying home.

by Anonymousreply 11June 30, 2020 5:32 PM

So isn't it my choice not to protect and myself and get sick? It is old sick fat farts' responsibility to wear mask since they are the ones who spread the virus.

by Anonymousreply 12June 30, 2020 5:32 PM

R12, don't be fucking selfish. You know you could unknowingly be a carrier for the virus and spread the virus to the elderly and/or people with weak immune systems, right? You sound like those right wing Americans who are obsessed about people intruding on their "liberty".

by Anonymousreply 13June 30, 2020 5:35 PM

R12 most of the spreading now is coming from asymptomatic young people.

by Anonymousreply 14June 30, 2020 5:35 PM

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 15June 30, 2020 5:36 PM

r2 = sociopath!

by Anonymousreply 16June 30, 2020 5:37 PM

And 2.5% of that 5% is dead because of Governors sending infected people into nursing homes, which has fuck all to do with masks.

by Anonymousreply 17June 30, 2020 5:38 PM

R12 no it isn't your right or choice. That is like saying isn't it my choice to drive recklessly and if I hit and kill some old fart, well they should have stayed home.

by Anonymousreply 18June 30, 2020 5:38 PM

I believe it . So many of them you see not wearing masks (especially older people) have this belligerent looks on their faces like they are daring you to say something. I always wonder how empty their lives must be to crave such negative attention. Now I know why,they are psychopaths.

by Anonymousreply 19June 30, 2020 5:40 PM

I am American and I am free to infect who I want!!!!! Except those gays they need to use protection!!!!

by Anonymousreply 20June 30, 2020 5:41 PM

UNLESS ONE CAN 100% GUARANTEE that they won't get it, are NEVER EVER EVER EVER around anyone with weakened immune systems, the sick, the elderly, and so on, then wear a damn mask! it's a mask! just a mask! only a mask!...

by Anonymousreply 21June 30, 2020 5:45 PM

I have to take an elevator to get in or out of my apartment building. I’m on a high floor and I really want to kick people in the cunt bone when they wear no mask in the elevator.

by Anonymousreply 22June 30, 2020 5:46 PM

But mah freedoms!@s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 30, 2020 5:47 PM

R4 I'm glad to hear that. I hope that western PA can be lesson to the rest of the state. Wolf needs to grow some balls and adjust his whole silly traffic-light scheme to reflect current reality.

by Anonymousreply 24June 30, 2020 5:52 PM

working out yesterday at the only gym in the area that is open (they said they were going on county guidelines, not state guidelines? didn't know that county overrules the state?) and people do not have to wear masks, but still STILL people were standing close, getting on machines right next to others because they couldnt' wait their damn turn and think of others and so on... gym etiquette has always been a rare thing and it continues even now!.. i literally had to stop doing a set on a machine and get up and walk away, because this person literally only a couple of feet away from me wanted to do another set on this machine next to mine and couldn't wait until i was done with my set to continue! WTF!.... monumental stupidity and selfishness...

by Anonymousreply 25June 30, 2020 5:53 PM

R25 why were you dumb enough to go into a gym, no matter that it was open?

by Anonymousreply 26June 30, 2020 5:57 PM

I refused to act like anything has changed since mid-March, because basically nothing has. No vacations, no gym or haircuts, no bars or restaurants, no house parties or drop ins, ever. All these reopenings are geared to make profit for the wealthy. They have no basis in medical or scientific fact.

by Anonymousreply 27June 30, 2020 6:00 PM

Just let me get my hair done this weekend in nyc - single process, highlights & a cut. Plus let me get takeout from my favorite Chinese restaurant across the street from the salon. I’ll keep it in a thermal bag & nuke it when I get home.

Then I’ll stay home for another 3 months, just going out for groceries & meds.

by Anonymousreply 28June 30, 2020 6:07 PM

R28 hair salons are vectors for infection, and it only takes once!

by Anonymousreply 29June 30, 2020 6:10 PM

R26... because it's a brand new gym, a huge huge gym that most areas are not used and hardly any people and the staff is constantly constantly wiping and cleaning every moment....

by Anonymousreply 30June 30, 2020 6:22 PM

R30 Its in the AIR, honey. It circulates in the AIR indoors. And people in a gym are breathing heavy, and deep breathing. There is no controlling or cleaning that. What don't you get?

by Anonymousreply 31June 30, 2020 6:37 PM

If everyone acts like R28 we will never beat Covid-19 without a vaccine, and since vaccines for viruses are extremely rare and a long time coming, we will all fucking die first.

by Anonymousreply 32June 30, 2020 6:52 PM

R30 thinks Lysol wipes are going to cure Covid.

Lord help us.

by Anonymousreply 33June 30, 2020 6:53 PM

[quote]So if you're quoting shit like that and refusing to wear a mask … YOU MIGHT BE THE PSYCHOPATH!!!

Or a redneck.

by Anonymousreply 34June 30, 2020 8:43 PM

I saw Goody Proctor dancing with the Devil!

by Anonymousreply 35June 30, 2020 8:45 PM

It's science.

by Anonymousreply 36June 30, 2020 8:57 PM

Wearing a mask should never have been explained to Americans as something that protects others. Because a large segment of Americans and by that I mean MAGAts are selfish odious cunts. They don't give a fuck about others, only themselves. It should have been explained that wearing a mask protects YOU. All that matters to these kinds of people. That's why most will wear a seatbelt or a motorcycle helmet. Because doing so protects THEM. But they won't wear a mask because that protects NOT THEM. One of the funniest things I've ever read on this site in a crowded field was a response to the question, "What happens when Covid starts hitting flyover country?" The response was, "Grave dancing becomes the next Macarena." I have my dancing shoes ready. I hope they die in droves and I will happily pitchfork their rotten, fetid, bloated corpses into the plague pits.

by Anonymousreply 37June 30, 2020 9:41 PM

Yeah the Trump administration authorities really fucked themselves (and the American people) by lying and saying that the masks didn't help ANYTHING unless you were in a hospital and were trained to use them. Intelligent people knew they were lying and masks obviously would help (because they were trying to preserve the criminally unavailable supply of N95 masks for healthcare workers) and wore masks anyway, and stupid/sociopathic people now use it as an excuse for not wearing masks at all because "they said this before and now they're saying this, therefore they don't know anything at all".

by Anonymousreply 38June 30, 2020 10:05 PM

For me, calling these people;le psychopaths is dignifying them with a fancy name....they're just ignorant, lazy slobs, and they adore their ignorant, lazy slob President. He leads, they follow.

by Anonymousreply 39June 30, 2020 10:12 PM

Isn't one of the characteristic of sociopaths that they take pleasure in hurting animals and start this behavior as children? It's not a stretch then that they would have no problem inflicting harm on innocent people for amusement.

by Anonymousreply 40June 30, 2020 10:26 PM

The diagnoses for psychopathy etc. use a set of observed traits. If you have a certain number of them, you're a psychopath. If you have several you can be mentally disturbed but aren't labeled a psychopath. In this case they may or may not be full-blown psychopaths, but the behaviors they exhibit around mask-wearing fall squarely on the list of psychopathic traits.

by Anonymousreply 41June 30, 2020 10:29 PM

R37, what you are saying is so true. If the media said "wear masks--it kills everyone else around you but you will be great!", I think at least 95% of Americans would be wearing masks.

by Anonymousreply 42June 30, 2020 10:31 PM

R31.. so covid is "in the air" and hangs in the air just like oxygen and travels a great length and stays in that same area for a long, long time? no matter what? so should people ONLY be working out in a gym if they are wearing a mask too?....

by Anonymousreply 43June 30, 2020 11:26 PM

R43. Do you really think air circulation is really that good in your gym?

Outdoors is safer than any indoors that isn’t your own.

by Anonymousreply 44June 30, 2020 11:53 PM

R44... i just figured since it was a brand new gym, and it was HUGE and at most maybe 10 to 15 people at one time (if that) in the entire warehouse size gym it would be okay along with the around the clock wiping down of all weights and equipment and over night they spray all the machines and weights down and mop the floor and the employees all wear masks...

by Anonymousreply 45July 1, 2020 12:00 AM

I believe it. And most of them are Republicans (go figure) who think they don’t have to follow rules and that it “violates their rights.”

by Anonymousreply 46July 1, 2020 12:05 AM

Awful lot of variables you’re depending on there, r45

by Anonymousreply 47July 1, 2020 12:09 AM

No way will I go back to my gym and I'm bummed about that. I don't even want to be indoors arounId others, but especially if they are huffing and puffing. They just don't know enough about this virus and how to treat it. And for those that get it and are sick for a long time, but not sick enough to be in the hospital, there is not much they can do for them or explain to them what is happening in their bodies.

If I catch this thing, I hope it is much further down the road when they no what it is and how to treat it.

by Anonymousreply 48July 1, 2020 1:10 AM

Just wear the fucking mask. If it is true that it is effective you are saving a life. If it isn't true, you've been mildly inconvenienced by wearing a piece of cloth over your mouth and nose..

by Anonymousreply 49July 1, 2020 1:25 AM

Are people who don’t wear condoms psychopaths too?

by Anonymousreply 50July 1, 2020 1:41 AM

r50 I don't know, run a study and let us know when it's peer-reviewed like this one.

by Anonymousreply 51July 1, 2020 1:42 AM

These same nuts who claim their “freedom” is imperiled by a small piece of cloth are quick to tell women they don’t have the freedom to have an abortion or gays and lesbians they don’t have the freedom to marry whom they choose.

by Anonymousreply 52July 1, 2020 2:13 AM

In my state, North Dakota, 151 out of today's 302 active COVID cases (not dead, not recovered) were for people between ages 20-39. We've yet to have someone under age 40 die (the majority of the 79 dead have been age 80 or older), but the way things are going, it feels inevitable once school begins.

by Anonymousreply 53July 1, 2020 2:27 AM

Well, if there's one thing that's going to convince conservatives, it's science!

by Anonymousreply 54July 1, 2020 3:18 AM

[quote]Are people who don’t wear condoms psychopaths too?

At the height of a deadly pandemic, with a high rate of death, without any effective treatment or cure, spread sexually, yes, moron, people who didn’t wear condoms were considered psychopaths.

Are you 12 or just very stupid? I can’t believe you posted this on a gay website. A lot of us lived through AIDS. We remember.

No, bareback sex isn’t the same risk now; it’s not a moral absolute.; the times and the risks have changed. We have better drugs and people are more educated. When we can stop Covid with a preventative or a cure, then you can stop wearing masks in public, because the risks and the available treatments will have changed.

The stupidity of the anti-maskers is glaringly obvious in every post.

by Anonymousreply 55July 1, 2020 1:11 PM

Misleading subject header.

Hermits and agoraphobes who don't go out aren't psychopaths. One doesn't have to wear a mask if one isn't in close proximity with other people, indoors or outdoors. Recognizing the risk that milling about with dumbasses, psychopaths and Deplorables and choosing not to is, at worst, misanthropy but not psychopathy.

This is hard for people in a crowded country to believe, but people in places like Iceland and New Zealand would understand.

by Anonymousreply 56July 1, 2020 1:51 PM

The infuriating thing is, because Trump keeps talking about "fast tracking" a vaccine, a lot of normally pro-vaccine people are thinking they may wait on getting it because they don't want a risky untested vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 57July 1, 2020 3:41 PM

(quote) [R28] hair salons are vectors for infection, and it only takes once

I have a box of N99 filtering facepiece respirators. Not N95, but N99 NIOSH masks. They're fine. And I’ve got Wet Ones individually wrapped wipes & a bunch of pocket sized hand sanitizers.

I’m good.

by Anonymousreply 58July 1, 2020 4:47 PM

R58, can I have your stuff?

by Anonymousreply 59July 1, 2020 7:51 PM

‘Friday the 13th’ villain Jason pushes mask-wearing in coronavirus PSA

This PSA is kind of cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 2, 2020 12:31 AM

[quote] Nebraska governor threatens to withhold coronavirus relief funds from counties that require masks, even a tiny county with only 20,000 citizens that have more people with coronavirus than any other county in Nebraska.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 2, 2020 12:37 AM

R58 better wear goggles too, it gets in through the eyes.

by Anonymousreply 62July 2, 2020 12:59 AM

Hell most Eastern Europeans do wear one out of sheer lack of conscientiousness.

by Anonymousreply 63July 10, 2020 2:16 AM

R1 nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 64July 10, 2020 2:22 AM

ASSASSIN!

by Anonymousreply 65July 10, 2020 2:27 AM

I'm a psychopath and I've been wearing masks outside since March.

by Anonymousreply 66July 10, 2020 2:32 AM

r66 if you were really a psychopath, you're probably lying.

by Anonymousreply 67July 10, 2020 8:42 PM

You can be a psychopath and still conform to norms outwardly. You can even be a psychopath and hold a set of admirable beliefs or engage with others in a seemingly positive manner. Pretty sure John Waters covered this almost 30 years ago in Serial Mom.

by Anonymousreply 68July 14, 2020 4:42 PM

If masks work, then why aren't all businesses open?

by Anonymousreply 69July 14, 2020 4:49 PM

I go to a conservative website/forum to read their POV. Here are the reasons they say you should never wear a mask—mind-control by the libs/dems, masks cause brain damage, masks kill you by inhibiting your oxygen intake, you’re not a true Christian if you’re not willing to catch the virus and potentially be “with God”, it is their right as a citizen to not wear a mask, businesses are denying their freedom by requiring masks, and other equally stupid and insane justifications.

by Anonymousreply 70July 14, 2020 4:59 PM

Every point that R70 relayed is a sign of mental illness.

Surgeons wear masks for hours and never suffer from lack of oxygen. They perform SURGERY. These loons can't even mask up for 10 minutes at a grocery store.

by Anonymousreply 71July 14, 2020 5:03 PM

I’m in a huge building. I shake like a fucking leaf when going down the 22 floors in the small elevator as it stops to pick up people never wearing masks. Today my anxiety went into overdrive. My mother passed of covid in fla. I’m now too scared to get in the elevator... I’m really overwhelmed by this all. My chest is pounding. Does anyone else deal with elevators? How do you cope while in it?

by Anonymousreply 72July 14, 2020 5:04 PM

If condoms work, why isn't everyone having orgies?

by Anonymousreply 73July 14, 2020 5:05 PM

R69, because of conservative psychopaths refusing to wear masks, social distance, and wash their hands, you know, follow medical advice. If everyone had starting do that at the beginning of the pandemic we'd be reopening safely like all the countries out there that aren't filled with crazy assholes.

by Anonymousreply 74July 14, 2020 5:09 PM

What's with all of the liberals in LA (blue counties) who aren't wearing masks, aren't really social distancing, and the numbers are soaring? It's clearly NOT just the conservative loons who aren't doing all that they can.

by Anonymousreply 75July 14, 2020 5:14 PM

I thought they were just mean and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 76July 14, 2020 5:14 PM

I've been noticing a lot more people that wear a mask, but it's sitting under their nose, barely covering the mouth. I shake my head and wonder if this is their way of saying "Fine, I'll wear your fucking mask, but you can't make me wear it correctly." It's always men, too. Ditto for family groups, I see a lot where the woman and kids have their masks on, but the man has his dangling under his chin or some other such nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 77July 14, 2020 5:19 PM

R75, I can't speak for LA liberals, but here central Ohio it's all conservatives bitching about wearing masks, every single damn one of them either refuses to wear a mask or only wears one when they absolutely have no choice.

by Anonymousreply 78July 14, 2020 5:24 PM

R75 is so stupid they think only “liberals” live in “blue counties.”

The trolling here has gone way down in quality lately. They’ve got to be from foreign troll farms with drivel like this and R69.

by Anonymousreply 79July 14, 2020 5:29 PM

R75 is so stupid they think only “liberals” live in “blue counties.”

The trolling here has gone way down in quality lately. They’ve got to be from foreign troll farms with drivel like this and R69.

by Anonymousreply 80July 14, 2020 5:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!