Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

COVID Vaccine No Time Soon

My doctor told me today that the earliest would be Fall 2021.

by Anonymousreply 5June 30, 2020 6:55 PM

I really couldn't care less since I will not be forced to get covid shot anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1June 30, 2020 5:57 PM

Well, if your doctor said it, it must be true.

by Anonymousreply 2June 30, 2020 5:59 PM

Nobody knows for sure.

What we do know is that several companies are already conducting trials and governments are cutting the red tape.

Some estimates say we could have a vaccine in Fall this year.

by Anonymousreply 3June 30, 2020 6:37 PM

The general consensus is that a vaccine won't be available for mass distribution until Spring 2021. And I anticipate that being vaccinated will be a requirement if traveling internationally (like Yellow Fever is for some parts of the world).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 30, 2020 6:50 PM

Personally, now that Remdesivir (along with better drug regimens to manage cytokine storm) are available, I'm in no hurry to jump on the first 'vaccine' bus to arrive in the station. I'm not opposed to vaccines per se, but I won't take even a "one in a million" risk of suffering personal harm for the abstract good of society

Like when I was forced to get vaccinated for measles... I spent $100 out of pocket to get the killed-virus version (which has close to zero personal risk, but protected only me instead of conferring herd immunity to others) instead of getting the free live-virus version (which public health authorities willing to gamble individuals for the greater common good) preferred.

Right now, there ars multiple vaccines under development in the US alone. Chances are, one of the first TWO or THREE will be significantly better than at least one of the others. Unless the virus becomes markedly worse in the next year or two, gambling on waiting a few months to compare 2 or more instead of blindly pouncing on the first might not be a bad idea.

From what I've read, the main reason we've never had coronavirus vaccines is the risk of cross-sensitization... the risk it'll basically induce an allergy to something harmless. If authorities are *desperate* to get out a vaccine, they might very well decide making 1% of Americans permanently allergic to something is acceptable. I reserve the right to make a fully-informed decision for myself.

by Anonymousreply 5June 30, 2020 6:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!