Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Black-ish' star Marsai Martin, 15, reacts to critics of her looks during BET Awards: 'Let me live'

Marsai Martin has a heartfelt message for her haters.

The 15-year-old "Black-ish" star took to Instagram on Sunday to respond to trolls who criticized her appearance during the 2020 virtual BET Awards.

According to Martin, not everyone approves of her style, particularly her hair and teeth. The teen said trolls have compared her blond hairdo to "a grandma's wig" and speculated that she wears dental veneers.

"I’m sorry to anyone that I offended or haven’t gotten to your expectations about how I’m supposed to be," Martin continued, seeming to tear up. "I apologize. I never want to hurt anyone’s feelings or have anyone worried about what my decisions are."

The teen media mogul then took a pause to wipe her crocodile tears — with a $100 bill.

Martin then dropped the emotion from her face and gave a deadpan look to the camera.

"Ya’ll, we are in quarantine, and we’ve got more things to focus on than just my hair," she said. "Justice for Breonna Taylor."

Taylor was a 26-year-old EMT who was killed March 13 by police officers who entered her Louisville, Kentucky, home with a no-knock warrant.

Martin also addressed the criticism in a tweet on Sunday.

"Sorry some of y’all don’t like my hair," she wrote. "Or teeth ... which are my actual teeth btw. Good thing I don’t put my effort into trying to please everyone. I like it. Chile I’m 16 this year, let me live. I’m trying to stay sane in quarantine."

In additional to starring in "Black-ish," Martin became one of the youngest executive producers behind a major studio film with the movie "Little," which came out in 2019. Accompanied by her parents, Martin first pitched the film when she was 10 years old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 30, 2020 9:13 PM

I’m looking forward to her reality show: ‘15 & Tedious’

by Anonymousreply 1June 30, 2020 3:30 PM

She'll be a stunner once she hits her adult stride.

by Anonymousreply 2June 30, 2020 4:08 PM

she is adorable looking and I agree, she will be stunning.

by Anonymousreply 3June 30, 2020 4:56 PM

Becky with the good hair.

by Anonymousreply 4June 30, 2020 4:57 PM

She really grew up fast over the past year. I loved her evil-little-girl character on Blackish. Now, she plays a somewhat frumpy young teen, and I think that some people were caught off guard by her real-life makeover. Her hairstyle looks like it was inspired by Beyonce's hairstyle, so I can't see why anyone would criticize a teenager for adapting a popular hairstyle.

This past season, Blackish did an episode on black women's hair, and the Diane character was the focus, visiting a salon for the first time.

by Anonymousreply 5June 30, 2020 5:09 PM

Have Willow and Jaden Pinkett-Smith commented yet?

by Anonymousreply 6June 30, 2020 5:11 PM

Meghan Markle, she’s gainin’ on ya!

by Anonymousreply 7June 30, 2020 9:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!