Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

More than 24,000 sign petition to replace New Jersey city's Columbus statue with one of Marsha P. Johnson

More than 24,000 people have signed an online petition to replace a statue of Christopher Columbus in Elizabeth, N.J., with one of Marsha P. Johnson, an LGBTQ activist who was born there.

“We should commemorate Marsha P. Johnson for the incredible things she did in her lifetime and for the inspiration she is to members of the LGBT+ community worldwide, especially black trans women,” wrote Celine De Silva, the organizer of the Change.org petition, which had nearly reached its goal of 25,000 signatures as of Monday afternoon.

Johnson, a black trans woman, was a central figure in the 1969 Stonewall uprisings in New York. She also helped found the Street Transvestite Action Revolutionaries (STAR), a group that housed homeless and transgender youth, with fellow activist Sylvia Rivera.

De Silva wrote that Columbus, whose history of slavery and genocide has come under renewed focus amid ongoing protests against racial inequality, “is not a figure to be celebrated."

The Hill has reached out to Elizabeth, N.J., Mayor Christian Bollwage (D) about the petition.

Earlier this year, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) said the East River State Park, located in Brooklyn, would be renamed after Johnson. It is the first New York state park to be named after an LGBTQ person.

Statues of Columbus have been targeted by activists in multiple cities across the country, as have those of Confederate leaders and others associated with slavery or white supremacy.

Cuomo has declined to call for the removal of a statue of Columbus in New York City, calling it a representation of the “Italian American legacy.”

Two other statues of Columbus have recently been removed from New Jersey cities, specifically West Orange and Camden, according to NJ.com.

by Anonymousreply 21June 30, 2020 5:27 PM

So why can't they add a lovely statue honoring Ms Johnson? Why does a statue honoring a history I identify with have to be removed? This makes no sense. Because we're all bored by the covid self isolation, people are not using their heads for anything except as a hatrack anymore. The internet allows every idea be it good or bad to be given far more consideration than it deserves.

by Anonymousreply 1June 30, 2020 4:38 AM

Cool.

by Anonymousreply 2June 30, 2020 4:38 AM

Except Marsha:

1. Was a self-identified GAY MAN

2. Did NOT lead the Stonewall riots as one can hear in an AUDIO INTERVIEW in Marsha's OWN VOICE at the link below!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 30, 2020 4:46 AM

[quote]Johnson, a black trans woman, was a central figure in the 1969 Stonewall uprisings in New York.

Except SHE WASN'T!!!!!

She wasn't even TRANS!!!!! She was a bipolar, sex hustling homeless street person, man in drag!

Jesus Fucking Christ, why are there journalism schools when one can create entire social movement histories by retyping what you read on Facebook?

by Anonymousreply 4June 30, 2020 4:51 AM

Even the Marsha Johnson documentary on NETFLIX explians all this R4. I don't think any of these morons have even seen it!

by Anonymousreply 5June 30, 2020 4:52 AM

Stop the Insanity. Are we all being punished for some collective misdeed in our previous lives?

by Anonymousreply 6June 30, 2020 5:02 AM

At the base of the statue will be a bronze plaque with a list of her johns.

by Anonymousreply 7June 30, 2020 5:03 AM

Google Doodle today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 30, 2020 5:10 AM

All I hear all day long on the Niña is how great Marsha is at this and how wonderful Marsha did at that. Marsha, Marsha, MARSHA!

by Anonymousreply 9June 30, 2020 6:40 AM

How about erecting a statue in honour of those who participated in the first public gay rights demonstration?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 30, 2020 8:06 AM

Is that high school in Virginia, Robert E Lee High changing its name to Martin Luther King, Jr High School?

by Anonymousreply 11June 30, 2020 8:12 AM

DONKEY TOOFS IS TRIGGERED, Y'ALL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 30, 2020 8:21 AM

She was a junkie whore with serious mental problems.

Now she's being revised as some sort of Disneyesque character. It's insane.

by Anonymousreply 13June 30, 2020 1:16 PM

Supposedly there is also petition to rename some place on Fire Island after Marsha P. Johnson.

by Anonymousreply 14June 30, 2020 2:20 PM

Absolutely ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 15June 30, 2020 2:22 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 30, 2020 2:47 PM

First time in my life where I've ever heard of a statue been made of a mentally ill, drugged addicted prostitute. I've got an idea - make a statue of her passed out on a park bench.

by Anonymousreply 17June 30, 2020 3:11 PM

[quote]Now she's being revised as some sort of Disneyesque character. It's insane.

It's nothing more than the timeworn, patriarchal Hollywood "Magical Negro" trope found everywhere lazy, hackneyed white people exist.

It grows more powerful, insulting and phoney by the hour.

by Anonymousreply 18June 30, 2020 3:14 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 30, 2020 3:18 PM

This is sad. But I don't want to put Marsha in the same category as Rivera.

There are some brave souls speaking the truth on Twitter - but you know what that leads to - vitriolic hatred and and suspended accounts.

Like Fred Sargeant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 30, 2020 3:27 PM

R18 is right. I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. Is this what it’s like, getting old? Maybe the way I feel is just fatigue and being jaded. Does all this seem normal and good to young people?

And, as r1 said, can’t they just make a new statue?

by Anonymousreply 21June 30, 2020 5:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!