Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

47% of Americans are now jobless

And most of those jobs are never coming back or will be replaced by robots and AI.

Don't see any other remedy to the situation other than implementing some sort of universal income program, not welfare, maybe some form of jobcore or volunteer program where individuals would receive a stipend for doing things like , babysitting, cleaning the streets or preparing meals at foodbanks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 1, 2020 10:36 PM

this is awful. what shit storm.

by Anonymousreply 1June 29, 2020 7:59 PM

What do you have to lose?- djt

by Anonymousreply 2June 29, 2020 8:02 PM

Trump is a billionaire. He's going to show you how to be a billionaire to.

MAGA!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3June 29, 2020 8:08 PM

just wait till compressive deflation rears its head............

by Anonymousreply 4June 29, 2020 8:17 PM

R4- No. STAGFLATION.

by Anonymousreply 5June 29, 2020 8:26 PM

I am glad I have a job.

by Anonymousreply 6June 29, 2020 8:34 PM

WTF half the US is without a job ?

by Anonymousreply 7June 29, 2020 8:35 PM

I’m grateful to have a job but I have absolutely no clue what I’m doing and it’s so stressful that I’m thinking of quitting. Should I just force myself to stay with it?

by Anonymousreply 8June 29, 2020 8:37 PM

What about us elder gays who are already retired? Why don't we get an item in your survey? Bitch!

by Anonymousreply 9June 29, 2020 8:37 PM

What is going to happen after July 31st with no more unemployment stimulus and rent/mortgage postponements? Things will be closing down more by then - not less.

by Anonymousreply 10June 29, 2020 8:41 PM

I lost my high-tech job about a year and a half ago. I finally got a job offer after looking for a year. Unfortunately, after I agreed to take the job, the offer was put on hold thanks to COVID-19. In a couple of months I my COBRA health insurance (which costs a small fortune) will be gone. And Donald Trump thinks now is a perfect time to get rid of Obamacare. Yeah, this just sucks. The year 2020 can just go fuck itself.

by Anonymousreply 11June 29, 2020 8:54 PM

I'd love to work or volunteer at a food pantry or homeless shelter. I believe we're on this Earth to help others and give back to our community. That would be a dream job for me.

I worked in a homeless shelter for women many years ago, and it was some of the most fulfilling, satisfying work I've ever done.

by Anonymousreply 12June 29, 2020 9:17 PM

R12, you should retrain to become a Social Worker. Going to need a lot of them when/ if this is all over.

by Anonymousreply 13June 29, 2020 9:24 PM

Well-off retired potential sugar daddy here. I'm awaiting your résumés. (Photos mandatory.)

by Anonymousreply 14June 29, 2020 9:55 PM

This is the 47% I was talking about, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 15July 1, 2020 2:31 AM

The Queen, Madame Corona , will make her super reentry to America in late September. It's like when the rollercoaster is slowly going up the second turn. And then boom, let's go! Y'all ain't seen nothing yet. Go to bars, and hang out.

by Anonymousreply 16July 1, 2020 2:43 AM

R16: reentry?

by Anonymousreply 17July 1, 2020 3:03 AM

I think this number is misleading. A large percentage of adults have always been unemployed.

by Anonymousreply 18July 1, 2020 3:03 AM

What do people expect?

One of the largest sectors for job growth in USA was hospitality, hotel, retail, service, tourism and similar sectors. Much of those areas are either wholly or partially shut down. International tourism alone is closed until new year, and no one knows if POTUS (whoever it it is by then) will reopen borders.

Meanwhile whole WFH thing is has decimated offices, and many places either aren't in any rush to bring everyone back, or may make WFH permanent for more people. When people don't go into offices businesses and others who depend on that "9-5" traffic feel the pain. They in turn will be forced to layoff staff or just close.

GOP would rather die than think about it; but some sort of limited UBI just needs to happen. Another stimulus check isn't going to cut it for many.

by Anonymousreply 19July 1, 2020 3:14 AM

[Quote]What about us elder gays who are already retired? Why don't we get an item in your survey? Bitch!

Apologies, you are not chop liver.

by Anonymousreply 20July 1, 2020 2:13 PM

47% without a job and the Dow Jones is still doing ok. How is that even possible?

by Anonymousreply 21July 1, 2020 2:53 PM

R21

Wall Street has very little to do with Main Street nowadays, a trend that has gone on for years now.

Number of publicly traded companies has declined since the 1980's, and that too is an ongoing trend as places find other ways to raise money other than selling shares. Much of what activity does occur is companies buying back their own shares.

If you look at who still is listed, they are making profits hand over fist atm; Telsa, Amazon, etc.....

Of course other reason money is pouring into stock market is that thanks to Federal Reserve interest rates are nil to negative. One of few places to make any returns is in stock market. Savers have been crushed pretty much since 2008 recession when Fed began various low interest rate schemes, and sadly don't expect anything to change in immediate future. Inflation has been nil to nothing past few decades and worse you have economies that are addicted to low interest rates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 1, 2020 5:12 PM

There are a shit ton of wealthy retirees on DL, if you believe the posts. Unsurprisingly they’re usually conservative assholes too. I wonder how many are even gay, though.

by Anonymousreply 23July 1, 2020 5:19 PM

ADP released June unemployment numbers today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 1, 2020 6:19 PM

"WTF half the US is without a job ? "

Well if you survey ALL Americans, then you include the retired, children, students, housewives, the long-term homeless, prisoners, and other people who are not normally part of the workforce.

I'd like to know what percent of the workforce is currently unemployed.

by Anonymousreply 25July 1, 2020 9:16 PM

R25, the methodology has not changed since before the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 26July 1, 2020 10:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!