Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Mucho, Mucho Amor” the Walter Mercado documentary is coming to Netflix!

¡Siiiiiiiiii, hunty!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 16, 2020 3:23 AM

Anne Murray and Liberace's forbidden love child.

by Anonymousreply 1June 29, 2020 7:40 PM

I cannot wait!

by Anonymousreply 2June 29, 2020 8:03 PM

¡Ay, Díos mío!

by Anonymousreply 3June 29, 2020 8:08 PM

I don't know about the production quality of this doc, but I'll take it. La abuelita adored him while not for a moment thinking he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 4June 29, 2020 9:12 PM

Walter checked out last fall because he saw what 2020 would bring.

by Anonymousreply 5June 29, 2020 9:24 PM

Who is watching it today?

by Anonymousreply 6July 8, 2020 8:08 PM

Somebody call G's agent. She's tried everything else.

by Anonymousreply 7July 8, 2020 8:11 PM

Yass! Gracias for the reminder. Watching it now. Just began.

by Anonymousreply 8July 8, 2020 8:16 PM

I am SO watching this.

by Anonymousreply 9July 8, 2020 9:09 PM

I am making a coconut flan for this tonight!

by Anonymousreply 10July 8, 2020 9:26 PM

This is a great doc. He was a genuine sweetheart.

by Anonymousreply 11July 8, 2020 9:51 PM

I think Matt Damon should play that role. He's got experience playing a queen.

by Anonymousreply 12July 8, 2020 10:01 PM

I’ll watch this weekend, excited to see it!

by Anonymousreply 13July 9, 2020 1:50 AM

That Bakula manager is quite the villain!

by Anonymousreply 14July 16, 2020 4:07 AM

I really enjoyed it. He was a cutie.

by Anonymousreply 15July 16, 2020 4:14 AM

I thought it was boring as hell.

by Anonymousreply 16July 16, 2020 11:25 PM

When Alexis Mateo did Walter on Drag Race All Stars recently, I remembered Walter from my childhood in New Zealand. He was even known there. He had regular spots in the weekly tabloid mags. The documentary was a light and enjoyable watch. My Spanish husband had never heard of him! Seemed to be famous everywhere but España.

by Anonymousreply 17August 1, 2020 9:12 PM

The documentary is fairly interesting but pretty biased. No criticism of Walter for not reading the contract??? That being said, what kind of slimy lawyer would create such a restrictive, unfair contract to start with.

by Anonymousreply 18August 3, 2020 2:25 PM

Saw it - hard not to like him. Naive - but seems like a very decent, loving person. I’ll never understand these entertainment people who are bilked by shady lawyers and managers. But then I’m a finance guy so I enjoy this stuff. He was able to live out his life simply in PR with his non-sexual partner. His nieces deserved money - they were so good to him.

That house though! The eldergay hoarding prototype.

by Anonymousreply 19August 3, 2020 2:37 PM

I thought it was boring also, R16.

by Anonymousreply 20August 3, 2020 2:49 PM

I thought it was mildly interesting. Certainly not a waste of time. Although he seems to have been wildly popular, I had no idea who he was, I wasn’t his target demographic. But regardless...

He was an interesting guy, and I’m glad his mother loved him so much.

by Anonymousreply 21August 3, 2020 2:55 PM

R17 Your husband must have lived under a rock. Walter was famous across the entire Spanish-speaking world (and beyond), including Spain. Did you miss the Spaniard fan who traveled specifically to attend the event in Miami?

by Anonymousreply 22August 10, 2020 1:16 AM

He does come across as a genuine, empathetic man.

I totally understand why he was such a popular TV star

by Anonymousreply 23August 10, 2020 1:32 AM

My hubby is Puerto Rican and said his mom would watch all the time

by Anonymousreply 24August 10, 2020 1:33 AM

People believe that the marginalized in society- fats, LGBTQ, gypsies, Wiccans, disabled, midgets- have magickal powers.

by Anonymousreply 25August 10, 2020 1:46 AM

When I was a kid, we had to be quiet when Walter came on the TV everyday. My mom just gave us the evil eye if we dared to breathe or make any kind of noise.

If she couldn't hear her horoscope that day? We knew we were gonna get it with la Chancla!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 10, 2020 2:55 AM

[quote]Somebody call G's agent.

Don't bother. Matt Damon has a lock on the part.

by Anonymousreply 27August 10, 2020 3:18 AM

I found it a little too light and trivial. Walter was a weird figure for me as a kid because he was fetishized for his "magical" abilities, but, as the documentary touched on briefly, he was also the end of much homophobia. Women (mostly) loved him but men rolled their eyes and let their wrists drop in mockery. As a latino gayling, he and some drag queens were the only visible gay people we had on tv. Many of the people sanctifying him in the documentary were not old enough to really experience that dichotomy and mostly knew him from the relative safety of the diaspora. I guess I wanted to know more about the man and his struggles and less about how Lin-Manuel clutched on to him like a lifeline to a Puerto Rican connection.

by Anonymousreply 28August 10, 2020 1:26 PM

Interesting documentary. Was he asexual or closeted? I liked seeing glipses of his childhood photos. The family was poor, so how did Walter attend college?

by Anonymousreply 29August 15, 2020 8:21 PM

His name is an anagram..

by Anonymousreply 30August 16, 2020 2:24 AM

It’s not Polly Bergen?

by Anonymousreply 31August 16, 2020 2:52 AM

[quote]No criticism of Walter for not reading the contract???

You'd think being a mind reader....psychic....fortune teller.....whatever.

by Anonymousreply 32August 16, 2020 3:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!