Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Wow, SCOTUS Is on a roll

Supreme Court, in 5-4 ruling, strikes down restrictive Louisiana abortion law

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court ruled Monday that Louisiana's tough restriction on abortion violates the Constitution, a surprising victory for abortion rights advocates from an increasingly conservative court.

The 5-4 decision, in which Chief Justice John Roberts joined with the court's four more liberal justices, struck down a law passed by Louisiana's legislature in 2014 that required any doctor offering abortion services to have admitting privileges at a hospital within 30 miles. Its enforcement had been blocked by a protracted legal battle.

Two Louisiana doctors and a medical clinic sued to get the law overturned. They said it would leave only one doctor at a single clinic to provide services for nearly 10,000 women who seek abortions in the state each year.

The challengers said the requirement was identical to a Texas law the Supreme Court struck down in 2016. With the vote of then-Justice Anthony Kennedy, the court ruled that Texas imposed an obstacle on women seeking access to abortion services without providing any medical benefits. Kennedy was succeeded by the more conservative Brett Kavanaugh, appointed by President DonaldTrump, who was among the four dissenters Monday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 9, 2020 3:17 PM

Please, please, please rule later today that Dump’s taxes can be subpoenaed. PLEASE!

by Anonymousreply 1June 29, 2020 3:09 PM

The two Trump appointees ruled against this, thank goodness Roberts joined the liberals.

by Anonymousreply 2June 29, 2020 3:09 PM

I'm sure all the unborn preemies are so happy,

by Anonymousreply 3June 29, 2020 3:10 PM

And, the ruling on the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau was a slap on the wrist and didn't dismantle the entire org. Common sense prevails again!

by Anonymousreply 4June 29, 2020 3:12 PM

I know this is a great victory, but I’m waiting on pins and needles for the tax decision.

by Anonymousreply 5June 29, 2020 3:14 PM

At some point Senators should just stop believing any conservative judicial nominee who says Roe v Wade is "settled law." If they state that, then ask why anyone should believe them.

Waiting for Susan Collins to express her concern about Kavenaugh's vote. Another nail in her political coffin.

by Anonymousreply 6June 29, 2020 3:14 PM

Roberts HATES Trump.

by Anonymousreply 7June 29, 2020 3:15 PM

Funny thing, I am in Louisiana where one of the only abortion clinics is still operating. They protesters are out there only on Saturday and then if one little drop of rain falls, they scram like rats exiting a burning building. Is this what Jesus would do?

by Anonymousreply 8June 29, 2020 3:16 PM

F&F R3. “Unborn preemies” is a contradiction in terms.

by Anonymousreply 9June 29, 2020 3:18 PM

They are also allowing Federal executions to resume. Not a good way to roll.

by Anonymousreply 10June 29, 2020 3:18 PM

R7 I bet everyone of the justices hate him.

Especially the conservatives. Especially Judge Thomas. I bet it just galls Thomas that he and Trump belong to the same political party.

by Anonymousreply 11June 29, 2020 3:19 PM

John Roberts = David Souter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 29, 2020 3:20 PM

Roberts is also hedging against an anticipated push by the upcoming Democratic Executive Branch and Congress to pack the SC. Biden could be persuaded if the advocates are vocal and persistent. If Roberts demonstrates that he's able to join the 'liberals' on the issues that are most consequential to moderates and the left they may leave the Court alone.

by Anonymousreply 13June 29, 2020 3:24 PM

That is a good point, r13.

by Anonymousreply 14June 29, 2020 3:25 PM

Roberts threaded the needle carefully here. Sided with the liberals based on stare decisis while stating the previous case was incorrectly ruled (he voted in the minority then). Still a wobbly majority. A Kavanagh impeachment needs to be on Biden and Pelosi's first 100 days if the Senate flips too.

by Anonymousreply 15June 29, 2020 3:26 PM

[Quote]Especially the conservatives. Especially Judge Thomas. I bet it just galls Thomas that he and Trump belong to the same political party.

Yes, check out Thomas's wife on Parler and her love for racists. Totally not a Trumptard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 29, 2020 3:29 PM

I guess Trump has made Roberts’ burn book.

“This girl is the nastiest skank bitch I’ve ever met. Do not trust her. She is a fugly slut.”

by Anonymousreply 17June 29, 2020 3:30 PM

I think it more likely Roberts, wants the “Roberts Court” to be remembered for conservative judicial moderation and integrity.

A conservative court does not overturn precedent on a whim.

Judicial moderation means you don’t subject the public to wild swings in interpretation of the law.

Integrity is something half the Senate and none of the White House has.

by Anonymousreply 18June 29, 2020 3:32 PM

We can expect a Trump rant in 3,2,1.

by Anonymousreply 19June 29, 2020 3:33 PM

Remember when Clarence Thomas's wife drunk dialed Anita Hill's office phone and asked her to apologize to her husband? Twenty years after his confirmation.

by Anonymousreply 20June 29, 2020 3:41 PM

Clarence Thomas’ has a good point in his dissent that third parties don’t have standing, but in abortion cases, the SC brushes that aside to rule anyway. Roberts doesn’t seem to care about that vital point.

by Anonymousreply 21June 29, 2020 4:14 PM

Many of the major court decisions have been decided by a single vote. Say a prayer that Ruth (and the rest of the liberal judges for that matter) hang on until after 1/1/21.

by Anonymousreply 22June 29, 2020 5:21 PM

Impeachment isn’t a realistic option R15. There’s no way Democrats are getting 67 seats in the senate next year, which means any attempt to remove him will fail.

by Anonymousreply 23June 29, 2020 5:26 PM

You can bet that McConnell has everything ready in case RBG dies before the start of 2021. That asshole will have a replacement ready in no-time.

by Anonymousreply 24June 29, 2020 5:42 PM

[quote] You can bet that McConnell has everything ready in case RBG dies before the start of 2021. That asshole will have a replacement ready in no-time.

November 3, 2020. He can't confirm a judge if Trump and his fellow senators are lame ducks.

by Anonymousreply 25June 29, 2020 9:46 PM

R25, is that legally? New Senators are sworn in Jan. 2, 2021.

by Anonymousreply 26June 29, 2020 10:28 PM

They can confirm a judge as long as they're in office, which is until January, 2021.

by Anonymousreply 27June 29, 2020 10:32 PM

I have no doubt that McConnell would rush through a Supreme Court nominee in record time if that were the case.

by Anonymousreply 28June 29, 2020 10:34 PM

Pray that RGB lives beyond November.

by Anonymousreply 29June 29, 2020 10:48 PM

You know I meant .... R B G .

by Anonymousreply 30June 29, 2020 10:48 PM

[quote]Clarence Thomas’ has a good point in his dissent that third parties don’t have standing, but in abortion cases, the SC brushes that aside to rule anyway. Roberts doesn’t seem to care about that vital point.

This is what makes me distrust all the liberals on the SC. They give no thought to the outcome. They just hear the word "abortion" and become Pavlov's dog without even thinking about consequences. This decision could end up killing more women than it helps.

by Anonymousreply 31June 30, 2020 12:27 AM

R12 Don't fall for it. No way is Roberts a true liberal like Souter or even an ally. As others have pointed out, what he does care about is maintaining the integrity of his court. However, he's someone to be wary of because he plans carefully and far in advance and chips away at precedents slowly with a scalpel until nothing of substance is left.

by Anonymousreply 32June 30, 2020 12:29 AM

So... are we thinking they punted the decision on Dump’s taxes? It’s kind of chickenshit of them if they did.

by Anonymousreply 33June 30, 2020 12:34 AM

Roberts is giving me hope they’ll rule against Trump in the matter of his taxes. His lawyers’ case is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 34June 30, 2020 12:39 AM

R34, I hope they do, but isn’t the spring session almost over? Anything that doesn’t get announced in June gets punted to the fall. I know we have one more day... but I also thought decisions were announced Mondays and Thursdays. I will be pissed if the tax decision doesn’t happen until the fall.

by Anonymousreply 35June 30, 2020 12:47 AM

[quote]Waiting for Susan Collins to express her concern about Kavanaugh's vote. Another nail in her political coffin.

I really hope this sinks her re-election. She tried to say all the concerns about him when it came to abortion were silly, she was just proven wrong.

by Anonymousreply 36June 30, 2020 2:16 AM

"I'll have the SCOTUS on a roll-- hold the mayo, light on the mustard. To go."

by Anonymousreply 37June 30, 2020 2:21 AM

When does SCOTUS announce their decisions? Do we know for sure today is the last day in this session? Waiting on pins and needles for the Dump tax case to be announced.

by Anonymousreply 38June 30, 2020 2:07 PM

I hope so too. But I wouldn’t hold my breath.

by Anonymousreply 39June 30, 2020 2:10 PM

Roberts will never live down the wretched decision on Citizens United.

by Anonymousreply 40June 30, 2020 2:14 PM

It would be so cowardly if they punted to the fall.

by Anonymousreply 41June 30, 2020 2:15 PM

People I follow on Twitter seem to think they’re making the decision today.

by Anonymousreply 42June 30, 2020 2:29 PM

If so, here's where it'll show up first

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 30, 2020 2:31 PM

R3, the alternative is being born to a severely mentally ill, abusive and neglectful mother like mine, who abandoned her small children for days on end while she shacked up with some random guy she met at a bar. They didn’t even know where she was. The eight year old was left alone with the three year old.

She used to tell me often, “I wish you were never born.” She screamed at all of us at the drop of a hat. She had delusions and was incapable of caring for herself after our fathers left. They hated her so much they abandoned their own kids with her to get away from her, remarried, and pretended we never happened. She couldn’t hold a job and we were desperately poor.

The end result was my sibs moved away as soon as they were able and separated from the entire family. One moved 3,000 miles away and cut every tie the second they could. The second she died, the gloves were off. The older kids had been pitted against each other and hated each other. We’ve all been out of touch for years.

I suppose your argument to that is aren’t I lucky to be born, and isn’t life wonderful? NO. Nobody’s life is wonderful after growing up like that, then spending years as an adult caring for an ailing mother alone, abandoned by all the other children. I missed my teens and twenties. I can never get those years back.

People like this are exactly why abortion was invented. She never should have had any children at all.

And you should mind your own business. You’ll never know what living like that is like, and you’re too arrogant and hateful to ever understand or care. Don’t bother telling me from your ivory tower how grateful I should be to have to live through that. I’m not, and there’s nothing to be grateful about. Most of my life has been sheer unmitigated hell, with no fun, no dates, no proms, no dances, no friends when I was young and everyone but me was learning how to be a human being. You can’t do that with a crazy lady deliberately ruining your relationships and getting you fired from jobs by stalking you at work. Don’t bother arguing with me about how wonderful that was or how it can all be erased by therapy. That was thirty years of my life and nothing will ever erase it. My family hate each other as a result of what happened, so I have no other family either. And there is no social services help for people in that situation, either as a kid or as an adult, believe me, I tried everything. There’s nothing.

Go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 44June 30, 2020 2:35 PM

No decision today, says George Conway.

by Anonymousreply 45June 30, 2020 2:54 PM

The SC should want to avoid doing anything to influence the election.

by Anonymousreply 46June 30, 2020 5:51 PM

R46 "The SC should want to avoid doing anything to influence the election"

Ahem says 2000.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 30, 2020 6:55 PM

So does this mean they are done for this term?

by Anonymousreply 48June 30, 2020 7:00 PM

Where is the ruling on the taxes?! They better not punt to the fall.

by Anonymousreply 49June 30, 2020 7:41 PM

I've always expected they will. Maybe that's a good thing, closer to the election, more fresh in voters' minds.

by Anonymousreply 50June 30, 2020 8:14 PM

SCOTUS hasn’t announced they’re done this session, so we have a few more rulings to go.

by Anonymousreply 51June 30, 2020 8:21 PM

R51 If so, when is the next "Opinion Day?" Their calendar doesn't show another one through the end of the 2019 term nor into the 2020 term that starts in the Fall.

by Anonymousreply 52June 30, 2020 8:23 PM

R52, my understanding is that the day before the last day of the session, an announcement is made that the next day is the last day. I think I read that somewhere. Experts, please chime in! What calendar are you referring to?

by Anonymousreply 53June 30, 2020 8:29 PM

R53, nm I found it and you’re right, they have a conference day tomorrow and no opinion days. Hmmm that is strange, they did not announce they are done.

by Anonymousreply 54June 30, 2020 8:32 PM

Opinion dates are Mondays and Thursdays. What’s the scoop folk? Are we getting a decision today on Dump’s taxes?

by Anonymousreply 55July 2, 2020 12:43 PM

It would be scandalous and delicious. Doubt it will happen.

by Anonymousreply 56July 2, 2020 12:55 PM

Ok, here we go again. I’ll be watching the news tomorrow hoping for a good decision on Dump’s taxes.

by Anonymousreply 57July 6, 2020 1:27 AM

Can you imagine the kind of vitriolic letters, emails and voicemails the Xtians are sending their representatives for failing to deliver their agenda?

by Anonymousreply 58July 6, 2020 1:30 AM

What’s Twitterverse saying? Are we getting a Dump tax decision today?

by Anonymousreply 59July 6, 2020 2:28 PM

No rulings on the Trump cases today.

by Anonymousreply 60July 6, 2020 2:43 PM

I guess the ruling is coming tomorrow. SC announced tomorrow is the last day of the session and decisions on all remaining cases will be announced then.

by Anonymousreply 61July 8, 2020 3:14 PM

Trump's been in a good mood lately, so his SCOTUS spies must have assured him the financials will remain secret.

by Anonymousreply 62July 8, 2020 4:04 PM

R62, I actually think he’s very heavily medicated. He definitely was out of it at Mt. Rushmore.

by Anonymousreply 63July 8, 2020 5:05 PM

Will there be no decisions today or will there be a dump before EOB?

by Anonymousreply 64July 8, 2020 7:00 PM

R64, the decisions will be tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 65July 8, 2020 7:04 PM

Thanks, R65. I thought R61 was posted yesterday

by Anonymousreply 66July 8, 2020 7:09 PM

So... are we ready? Will we be celebrating? Or bitching?

by Anonymousreply 67July 9, 2020 1:06 PM

The NY DA gets the Trump tax filings, per the first ruling this AM, although for Grand Jury purposes, so they may not become public by that route before the election.

by Anonymousreply 68July 9, 2020 2:42 PM

Yes the Supreme Court ruled Trump doesn't have to turn the tax returns over to congress, but he does have to turn it over to the New York DA as part of their case.

by Anonymousreply 69July 9, 2020 3:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!