Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When Exactly Did Johnny Depp Become Pathetic?

With the release of the megaton bomb "Lone Ranger"? Marriage to Amber? Divorce from Amber? Giving a speech at a televised awards show while visibly and audibly drunk/high? Other?

by Anonymousreply 55July 2, 2020 7:11 AM

The Lone Ranger destroyed his career, it was only greenlit to please him. It also destroyed Gore Verbinski's career.

by Anonymousreply 1June 29, 2020 2:46 PM

He was circling the drain with all those POTC films and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Alice in Wonderland. Just playing the same cringey character in every crappy Tim Burton film. That was well before the Lone Ranger.

by Anonymousreply 2June 29, 2020 2:48 PM

He was saved by his Disneyfication, but he wasn't very well regarded prior to PotC. Right around Sleepy Hollow he was basically seen as a joke, and even went a year or two without filming anything before PotC.

Then even that positive press wore off when he just went right back to the cringey characters R2 mentions, in between his dippy pirate movies.

by Anonymousreply 3June 29, 2020 2:52 PM

Turds like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, all the Pirate sequels, Alice in Wonderland and sequel, THE TOURIST, Dark Shadows, Lone Ranger, and Mordecai haven't helped.

by Anonymousreply 4June 29, 2020 2:56 PM

He was never all that. Nor Leonardo diCaprio.

Both got a too large serving of accolades for 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape?' and idiots thought they were brilliant -- approaching a level of Jack Nicholson brilliance, which is not that complimentary given that Nicholson had two or three good performances and, like the other two others: "Depp/diCaprio/Nicholson reprising the time polished role of himself in..."

by Anonymousreply 5June 29, 2020 3:07 PM

Did taking drugs ever lead someone to somewhere positive? Too bad he couldn't resist taking them.

by Anonymousreply 6June 29, 2020 3:12 PM

He looks like hell?

by Anonymousreply 7June 29, 2020 6:29 PM

He stopped sucking dick for roles and started sucking the meth pipe instead.

by Anonymousreply 8June 29, 2020 6:38 PM

Blowing all his money on inane shit, beating and abusing Amber; trying to sue Amber and his former lawyers when he ran out of money.

by Anonymousreply 9June 29, 2020 6:58 PM

I’d see MorTDecai, even with the silly spelling but the trailer and poster are a big turnoff...hint: it’s neither Depp not McGregor....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 29, 2020 7:21 PM

I did love Sweeney Tood, tho. He doesn’t get enough credit for that.

by Anonymousreply 11June 29, 2020 7:22 PM

Too much drugs, too much booze. It seems like a lot of his movies have just been money-driven. Like he just doesn't care anymore. And living a very lavish lifestyle. There was a time when I really would watch a movie if I saw he was in it. There's no way in hell now. And all this drama with Amber Heard. Will it ever end? They're both crazy. I'm really surprised he has not overdosed. He used to be so handsome too. Now he looks like Keith Richards younger brother. What a waste.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 29, 2020 7:30 PM

I remember reading somewhere one of his bodyguards actually talked. They were told under no certain terms were they ever to say no to his kids. Raised spoiled brats. His daughter Lily looks like she has an eating disorder. So she is saying no to food.

by Anonymousreply 13June 29, 2020 7:34 PM

I was over him after the horrid Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but he probably became pathetic when he started making millions from POTC and believing his own hype.

by Anonymousreply 14June 29, 2020 7:40 PM

Anybody got a smoke?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 29, 2020 7:40 PM

This was the final nail that sealed the coffin for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 29, 2020 7:44 PM

UK Judge Says Depp Broke Court Order in Sun Libel Case

LONDON (AP) — A U.K. High Court judge ruled Monday that actor Johnny Depp violated a court order by failing to disclose evidence relating to his drug use to lawyers for British tabloid The Sun, which he is suing for libel.

Judge Andrew Nicol deferred a decision on whether to throw out Depp’s claim against The Sun as a result.

Depp is suing the newspaper’s publisher, News Group Newspapers, and Executive Editor Dan Wootton over a 2018 article claiming the actor was violent and abusive to his ex-wife, Amber Heard.

The trial is due to open at the High Court in London on July 7. But The Sun’s lawyers argue the case should be dismissed because Depp failed to disclose text messages he exchanged with an assistant showing that he tried to buy “MDMA and other narcotics” while he was in Australia with Heard in 2015.

The newspaper’s lawyer, Adam Wolanski, said withholding the texts was a breach of a previous court order requiring Depp to provide all documents from separate libel proceedings against Heard in the United States. He said the lapse endangered the defendants’ ability to get a fair trial.

more at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 30, 2020 2:25 AM

I may not be making millions from films but I'm doing pretty good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 30, 2020 2:32 AM

He was terrified of getting old. He was drinking and drugging and cheating until Vanessa Paradis threw him out. Finding Neverland was the last decent movie he ever made, IMO

by Anonymousreply 19June 30, 2020 2:40 AM

"You can take the boy out of Kentucky..."

by Anonymousreply 20June 30, 2020 2:45 AM

His son Jack looks a lot like him. Neither of them seems to bathe much. (That's his girlfriend with him, btw. They both look like street kids.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 30, 2020 2:55 AM

I worked with Johnny. He is sweet, self-effacing, and talented. I have an autistic and mentally challenged younger brother. Depp's performance in the film What's Eating Gilbert Grape was a brilliant and accurate portrayal of what it is like to have a mentally-challenged brother.

I also worked with Gore. The same is true for him. He is kind and talented. The Lone Ranger would have been the film that Gore envisioned if he had the money to shoot the supernatural sequences.

Lone Ranger had the best train sequence ever shot.

by Anonymousreply 22June 30, 2020 3:16 AM

A lot of the problems started around the time he took Pirates of the Caribbean role. At first his mannerisms seemed clever and unusual but then he started using the Jack Sparrow act in every single film. It was like he was trying to morph into the character, with a dash of Hunter S. Thompson. Tim Burton sees Depp as a muse so continued to employ him but never gave him the long hard talk he needed. I think he wants to be seen as a throwback to the wild, unstable stars of Old Hollywood but it's so forced that it's become embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 23June 30, 2020 3:24 AM

Johnny has heart. Tim Burton doesn't. It's why every Burton film is missing something (and always being set to a Danny Elfman track doesn't help matters... And yes, I worked w/ Elfman too).

by Anonymousreply 24June 30, 2020 3:30 AM

It was the Pirates of the Caribbean film. He sold out. He used to make quirky interesting films and then he became a Disney theme ride. Plus, the sequels got bigger and more bloated. I love a good popcorn film but they were a chore to sit through.

And, has been said, he and Tim Burton made films they thought would for sure be hits but they were not very good, except Sweeney Todd which I must admit was excellent. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was unwatchable. He really is no Gene Wilder.

by Anonymousreply 25June 30, 2020 3:31 AM

I always thought he was boring, minimally talented, pretentious, dumb and try hard. I have no idea why this guy became a movie star. He also creeps me out ... in a big way ...

by Anonymousreply 26June 30, 2020 3:38 AM

As others have pointed out, Tim Burton was probably a deciding factor in Depps career descent, even though he obviously had massive problems already. He was in a series of Burton films where he came across as skin crawlingly repulsive, most notably Charlie and the chocolate factory and Alice in wonderland. To be fair the films were repulsive and off putting so it wasn't a hundred percent Depps fault but people started to associate him with grotesqueness rather than quirky oddball weirdness. It's a fine line sometimes. He needs to play a role where he appears to be something resembling a human. And lose Burtons number.

by Anonymousreply 27June 30, 2020 3:40 AM

When started doing the Madonna accent covered in Hidden Valley Ranch.

by Anonymousreply 28June 30, 2020 3:46 AM

Who ISN'T this junkie suing, R17? Wow.

by Anonymousreply 29June 30, 2020 4:01 AM

All the kids movies and the 20 years younger wife. At certain age you switch from "edgy" to " creepy"

by Anonymousreply 30June 30, 2020 4:14 AM

The only time he seemed SOMEWHAT okay was in 21 Jump Street. As soon as he did Edward Scissorhands it’s like he took on the creepiness of that character in his real life.

He never seems happy or nice in interviews and the long greasy hair should have been cut about 20 years ago. Don’t understand the hype about him.

by Anonymousreply 31June 30, 2020 4:40 AM

"The Lone Ranger" became so expensive to make that the studio heads seriously thought about closing it down. But they eventually carried on because it was a Johnny Depp movie. It was a critical and financial flop, and it didn't help that Johnny's character looked ridiculous with a crow on his head.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 30, 2020 4:51 AM

R32 That crow looks like it's about to take a nasty dump.

by Anonymousreply 33June 30, 2020 4:56 AM

The "disappearance" (read: MURDER) of his business partner/co-owner of the Viper Room was the first major chink in Depp's armor...

by Anonymousreply 34June 30, 2020 5:15 AM

R32 The crow on his head was a rip-off of a painting of a Native American. What was ridiculous was ripping off the artist. The imagery was not ridiculous, you ass.

by Anonymousreply 35June 30, 2020 5:17 AM

^^^ Here is a side-by-side of the rip off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 30, 2020 5:19 AM

R36 People didn't understand the "inspiration" behind his crow headdress and it got a lot of unintentional laughs. With the dreadful white and black face makeup and the bird on his head he looked like a corpse ready to keel over. He should have found a more understated look.

by Anonymousreply 37June 30, 2020 5:25 AM

He isn't even First Nation.

by Anonymousreply 38June 30, 2020 5:32 AM

took the partying too far. you have to give it up by the time youre 30.

by Anonymousreply 39June 30, 2020 5:42 AM

Inspiration? Nah, rip-off. There's no excuse for it either.

by Anonymousreply 40June 30, 2020 6:36 AM

For me, it wasn't the way Johnny looked in Lone Ranger, it was how he spoke his lines as if it was a farce. The same mistake was made in Burton's film Dark Shadows. If both of these films were played as serious paranormal fare, they might have been better films.

by Anonymousreply 41June 30, 2020 6:39 AM

I loved him in Donnie Brasco. In Finding Neverland. The Jack the Ripper movie, From Hell. I even enjoyed the first two Pirates and Sleepy Hollow. But I walked away from Lone Ranger. It was embarrassing and the Tim Burton movies never held much interest for me. Johnny was a talented actor. Then he morphed into a Keith Richards wannabe. He always partied and drugged. I Remember back when he dated Kate Moss. The two of them trashed hotel rooms and were ridiculous. But as he got older the drugging and the alcoholism took over his life. He wanted to be a rock star. It's kind of sad watching him unravel. I thought he was a physically beautiful man. He's only 57.

by Anonymousreply 42June 30, 2020 2:38 PM

It was gross when he was grooming then fucking Winona Ryder.

by Anonymousreply 43June 30, 2020 2:44 PM

And hanging out with other drug addict poser dork Marilyn Manson doesn't help

by Anonymousreply 44June 30, 2020 2:47 PM

I always loved Depp. I thought he was not only talented but thought a lot about the roles he played. I remember when he said it would be a great challenge but his dream was to play Carol Channing in a story about her.

by Anonymousreply 45June 30, 2020 2:48 PM

Oh ffs, the article you linked to even *says* the artist licensed the image to Disney. How is that a rip-off?

by Anonymousreply 46June 30, 2020 3:32 PM

R23 it’s not Tim burtons job to talk sense into Johnny Depp. Nor is it agents or managers. When dealing with crazy multi millionaire celebs, no amount of straight talk helps. The smart ones listen and reign it in. But when an agent says “you’ve got to start showing up on time” or “you’ve got to read a script” or “make this phone call” and they don’t the agents turn their attention elsewhere and just hang around collecting fees until the problematic actor leaves the agency.

by Anonymousreply 47June 30, 2020 3:34 PM

R46 It only became licensed AFTER the painting was rip-offed for Tonto's makeup and costume design and the artist found out . It should not have happened that way.

by Anonymousreply 48July 1, 2020 6:36 AM

I’ve seen detergents leave a better film than this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 1, 2020 7:37 AM

He was really awesome in his first Tim Burton film, the wonderful "Ed Wood". Depp gave a great performance, funny and off-kilter yet very real, and I think it remains Burton's best film. That was in 1994 (a year after "Gilbert Grape"), and for the next ten years Depp made some very good films and gave some very good performances.

Now "Lone Ranger" may have been the beginning of his end within the industry, but for me, the real end was "Dark Shadows". Lazy, schticky performance which relied on really terrible makeup, with his old pal Burton letting him indulge all his worst tendencies, plus age and bloat. That was the point at which I realized that Depp had frittered away his talent, and a few years later I found out that the self-indulgent fool had been frittering away his fortune at the same time. I'm through with him, most of his former fans are through with him, and Depp has nobody to blame but himself.

by Anonymousreply 50July 1, 2020 10:17 AM

Edward Scissorhands was his first collaboration with Burton, R50.

by Anonymousreply 51July 1, 2020 12:30 PM

What year did Depp stop brushing his teeth? Whatever year that was, was when the downhill slide started. Hobo scarves are one thing -- hobo teeth is another.

by Anonymousreply 52July 1, 2020 2:02 PM

He really seemed to go off the rails when the relationship with Vanessa broke up. She seemed to stabilize him in a way none of his other partners did.

by Anonymousreply 53July 1, 2020 2:34 PM

I don't know if he was stable so much as away in France.

by Anonymousreply 54July 1, 2020 3:27 PM

The reason they never found Anthony Fox' body was because it was a professional hit job. I'm sure Depp knew what was going on.

by Anonymousreply 55July 2, 2020 7:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!