Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

SJWs discover CHESS is racist. Cancellation underway

๐—ช๐—›๐—œ๐—ง๐—˜ ๐— ๐—ข๐—ฉ๐—˜๐—ฆ ๐—™๐—œ๐—ฅ๐—ฆ๐—ง

The chess 'racism' debate: Why do white pieces move first?

Australian Chess Federation committee member Dr Kevin Bonham has refuted suggestions the rule of white pieces moving first was racially motivated.

Dr Bonham spoke to ABC radioโ€™s James Valentine on Wednesday afternoon after a man posted to social media his childโ€™s query about why white always moves first in chess.

Controversy arose when the ABC proposed a radio discussion on the matter and on Tuesday sought an interview with John Adams, an economist who represented the Australian Chess Federation in 2015.

Mr Adams declined the interview offer and went into a Twitter rage saying the ABC had taken the view that chess was โ€œracistโ€. He also referred them on to Dr Bonham.

โ€œThe ABC have taken the view that chess is RACIST given that white always go first,โ€ he said in his tweet.

Mr Adams further explained the ABC was looking for a chess offical to comment on whether the rules should be altered.

โ€œTrust the taxpayer funded national broadcaster to apply ideological Marxist frameworks to anything & everything in Australia,โ€ he added.

โ€œThe ABC have taken the view that chess is RACIST given that white always go first,โ€ he said in his tweet.

Mr Adams further explained the ABC was looking for a chess offical to comment on whether the rules should be altered. His posts led to further comments and articles criticising the ABCโ€™s line of questioning before any interview had taken place.

โ€œI mean weโ€™ve got bigger issues that are facing Australia and I donโ€™t want the ABC to be talking about this sort of nonsense,โ€ he said.

Dr Bonham was forced to defend the proposed radio discussion even before it took place.

-----------------

Youtube Takes Down CHESS PODCAST for Being HARMFUL or DANGEROUS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 29, 2020 11:32 PM

Would you say those chess pieces are white or crescent moon?

by Anonymousreply 1June 29, 2020 12:07 PM

Wasn't chess invented in Persia or something?

by Anonymousreply 2June 29, 2020 12:10 PM

That radio deejay James Valentine is a lame lightweight comedian but he's employed by the state-funded broadcaster which is so woke that they're annoying faithful viewers.

by Anonymousreply 3June 29, 2020 12:18 PM

Iโ€™ve played a lot of Candyland with my nieces and nephews. The youngest player goes first. Is that ageist?

So maybe the official chess governing body can change the rules and black will make the first move now.

Does everyone feel better now? After apple juice and cookies itโ€™s nap time!

by Anonymousreply 4June 29, 2020 1:43 PM

I mourn for the very funny Onion article this would have been.

by Anonymousreply 5June 29, 2020 3:30 PM

I've had a few chess sets in my lifetime, and the one I have now has white & brown pieces. I've also had yellow/green, red/yellow, along with some which were realistic painted figures rather than one color.

When I play someone, we roll a die to see who goes first, regardless of color chosen. Seems more fair that way.

by Anonymousreply 6June 29, 2020 3:44 PM

R6, I have a chess set thatโ€™s a heavy state board and brass pieces. The base of the pieces is how you determine which is which - round vs. square.

by Anonymousreply 7June 29, 2020 7:04 PM

^ slate board.

by Anonymousreply 8June 29, 2020 7:04 PM

The Australians need to start looking at the way they treat the Aborigines before they start worrying about whether chess is racist or not.

by Anonymousreply 9June 29, 2020 7:31 PM

The Klansman piece moves his hood diagonally

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 29, 2020 7:57 PM

Let's see OP's link is about YouTube who put the podcast back up. So OP is lying and no SJW was involved at all. The screaming about "Marxists" was a dead giveaway this was right wing trolling. And god know what the Australian Broadcasting Corporation has to do with YouTube hosting a podcast or not. Datalounge is being spammed by anti-trans bigots and racist right wing assholes trying to start shit. It's obvious, pathetic and sad.

by Anonymousreply 11June 29, 2020 8:02 PM

R11 Don't recall anyone mentioning trannies in a discussion about the racism of chess, but here you are unnecessarily crow-barring it in.

by Anonymousreply 12June 29, 2020 8:51 PM

Bitch, Iโ€™m done. Iโ€™m going to go on a walkabout through the Gobi desert.

by Anonymousreply 13June 29, 2020 8:53 PM

R13 Cultural appropriation. Sic him!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 29, 2020 8:57 PM

Funniest of all, besides this ridiculous waste of time and topic is that all this identity politics coming from "microaggressions" Black post-modernist activists is anti Marxist by definition. Conservatives know absolutely nothing about the straw man argument they create.

by Anonymousreply 15June 29, 2020 11:13 PM

Don't you know, r12? Everything is tangentially related to "trannies".

by Anonymousreply 16June 29, 2020 11:22 PM

Have we talked to the ghost of Bobby Fischer about this yet?

by Anonymousreply 17June 29, 2020 11:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!