Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Donner Party

After seeing it mentioned in a thread here, I kinda went into a rabbit hole reading about it. Man what a tragic affair all around. And it wasn't even a one night/moment tragedy like the Dyaltov incident but tragic episodes one after another.

Such a shame a shame a good, accurate miniseries hasn't been done about it.

by Anonymousreply 25July 26, 2020 9:19 AM

It's a delicious story! Lip-smacking good.

by Anonymousreply 1June 29, 2020 7:14 AM

I'm going off memory from what they taught is school as a kid, but I believe they made some costly logistical mistakes -- took an untested shortcut in Utah which wasn't really a shortcut, and which ended up costing them more time and travel. By the time they reached the Sierra Nevadas, it was October.

No way can you traverse those Sierra Nevada mountains in October. Imposing, technically challenging, and ice-cold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 29, 2020 7:37 AM

*taught us in school as a kid^^

by Anonymousreply 3June 29, 2020 7:37 AM

You should watch the PBS documentary by Ric Burns - it is very compelling.

Fab facts: Lewis Keseberg, a member of the party who seemed to take most to cannibalism and was rumored to have killed Tamzene Donner and feasted on her liver, later opened a restaurant (I think in Sacramento). Someone brought their 70-year-old mother on the trip, who promptly died (early enough on the trip that she was not eaten. RIP). When they started going hungry, they drew lots to see who should be killed and eaten; they couldn't bear to kill the guy who drew the long straw, but when a few of them began to die off, the guy who drew the long lot was still the first to be eaten; I was amused by this - seems like they all had their eye on him once he drew the lot.

Anyway, it's all become a bit of a macabre joke, but the documentary is heart wrenching. They were just a bunch of thoroughly unlucky bastards.

by Anonymousreply 4June 29, 2020 8:04 AM

The only party I was ever invited to was the Donner party. And then they gave me the cold shoulder!

by Anonymousreply 5June 29, 2020 8:09 AM

The Donner Party Diet Breakfast: Jacks Lunch: Franks Dinner: Patties

by Anonymousreply 6June 29, 2020 8:12 AM

A few of them were forced to dine on their own parents.

by Anonymousreply 7June 29, 2020 8:18 AM

Mercy! I'm out.

by Anonymousreply 8June 29, 2020 8:21 AM

Did they eat them raw?

by Anonymousreply 9June 29, 2020 8:36 AM

Desperate Passage by Ethan Rarick is an excellent account of this tragedy.

by Anonymousreply 10June 29, 2020 8:42 AM

The little doll that Patty Reed carried all the way to California is kept in a museum at Sutter's Fort.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 29, 2020 8:47 AM

R9, yes. Like sashimi.

by Anonymousreply 12June 29, 2020 3:51 PM

What is a cannibals favorite way to celebrate?

by Anonymousreply 13June 29, 2020 7:26 PM

Here is Truckee where they got snowed in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 30, 2020 12:11 AM

[quote] And it wasn't even a one night/moment tragedy like the Dyaltov incident

What’s the Dyaltov incident?

by Anonymousreply 15June 30, 2020 2:05 AM

I saw a documentary on the Donner party. It was like watching a slow-moving train wreak. It said if they had been about 8 hours faster they would have been over the worst of the Sierras and could have made it. One family always claimed they were the one family who didn't end up eating human flesh. Mama fed them their dead ox. Sure Mama, that was ox meat, all of it.

by Anonymousreply 16June 30, 2020 2:56 AM

Raw Like Sushi

by Anonymousreply 17June 30, 2020 3:13 AM

Bumping because of Rush Limbaugh's idiotic comments

by Anonymousreply 18July 15, 2020 12:17 AM

[quote] A few of them were forced to dine on their own parents.

But I hate my mother's guts.

by Anonymousreply 19July 15, 2020 12:43 AM

Maybe Don Jr and Ivanka will dine on daddy and stepmom

by Anonymousreply 20July 15, 2020 1:00 AM

There’s a Donner Party movie on right now on the Weather Channel. Anyone know if it’s any good?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 26, 2020 5:12 AM

I recall reading that the guide, to whom they paid a good deal of money would make more money by going over Donner rather than taking the safer southern route. It was an early snow and he gambled with people's lives and lost.

by Anonymousreply 22July 26, 2020 8:51 AM

Total tragedy

by Anonymousreply 23July 26, 2020 8:53 AM

I've seen nearly every horror movie in existence and none of them ever scare me at all. But reading about the Donner Party on Wikipedia kept me awake for a week. Unimaginable horror.

And as someone mentioned upthread, this wasn't just a horrible event. This was people living, day-to-day, for months in an atmosphere of total physical and psychological horror. The survivors were deeply scarred for life.

by Anonymousreply 24July 26, 2020 9:15 AM

R24 If you think that's bad you should read about what happens at military black sites like Gitmo

by Anonymousreply 25July 26, 2020 9:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!