Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mayonnaise - Hellman’s or Duke’s

I like Hellman’s the best. Duke's doesn’t have that tang I like.

by Anonymousreply 72August 25, 2020 4:02 AM

Pootie Tang

by Anonymousreply 1June 28, 2020 10:42 PM

I prefer (insist on, actually) Hellman's, but this summer I've fallen under the spell of Stonewall Farms Horseradish Aioli for all my sandwich needs.

It's got a tang.

by Anonymousreply 2June 28, 2020 10:46 PM

Hellman's for me too, OP. Tried Duke's for the first time just recently and it's very good, but definitely 2nd choice.

by Anonymousreply 3June 28, 2020 10:48 PM

There, I said it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 28, 2020 10:52 PM

Tell us more about the tang that you like.

by Anonymousreply 5June 28, 2020 10:53 PM

Poo Tang

by Anonymousreply 6June 28, 2020 10:57 PM

Cain’s.

by Anonymousreply 7June 28, 2020 10:58 PM

Ann Page

by Anonymousreply 8June 28, 2020 11:01 PM

ANOTHER mayo thread?

I'll repeat myself then.

Making one's own mayonnaise is the only way to go. It is easy, quick, and you can control the "tang" (Christ) or other flavor nuances you want.

NONE of these products are half as good as even a mediocre homemade mayonnaise.

But if you're a lazy shit who can only burble about what commercial product you prefer because mumsie always served Duck's or you like Hellbenders because your ex used to use it as lube, then kindly eat your crap and shut up about it. It's the same level of low-end finger-up-the-nose passive consumerism as circular arguments over whether Cheetos Flamin' Hot Puffs or Ghost Pepper Doritos make your ass lips swell more.

by Anonymousreply 9June 28, 2020 11:03 PM

Yeah, Blue Plate.

by Anonymousreply 10June 28, 2020 11:05 PM

Duke’s all the way.

by Anonymousreply 11June 28, 2020 11:28 PM

I'm from the south. It's Duke's first and foremost. But in a pinch I'll settle for Hellmans.

by Anonymousreply 12June 28, 2020 11:32 PM

Duke’s.

by Anonymousreply 13June 28, 2020 11:37 PM

Watch this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 28, 2020 11:54 PM

HellmaNN's, people.

(And it's Best Foods for those of us in the west.)

by Anonymousreply 15June 28, 2020 11:56 PM

Ruh-Roh.

I've always been Team Hellman's, that is, until this year, when, for the first time, I tasted Dukes.

I'm going to be a pansy-assed fence sitter and declare it a tie.

by Anonymousreply 16June 29, 2020 12:06 AM

Calvé or D&L.

by Anonymousreply 17June 29, 2020 12:08 AM

Kewpie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 29, 2020 12:22 AM

R16, I'm on the fence with you, even though we know both-siderism is a mortal sin in these parts.

I grew up with Hellmann's. (I don't think Duke's was available in Maryland back then.) It was my go-to mayo; indeed, it was the only one I ever bought. The taste of Hellmann's WAS the taste of mayo to me. (And, yes, asshole at R9, I have made my own. It tasted OK, but it didn't taste like mayonnaise because mayonnaise tastes like Hellman's.)

Recently, however, Duke's became available in some local supermarkets in the Philadelphia area, where I live now. I suspect it was originally introduced by Walmart, with its Southern roots. Anyway, I tried it ... and I liked it. Duke's is less sweet than Hellmann's because it has no sugar. They must use less vinegar as well because Duke's definitely lacks some of the sweet-sour punch of Hellmann's. But it's smoother and creamier and goes very nicely on sandwiches. I think the flavor of Duke's is both richer and simpler than Hellman's, if that makes any sense.

So, both. Whatever is available in the large-size jar at the best price in my supermarket.

by Anonymousreply 19June 29, 2020 12:22 AM

Not this discussion again. I don’t even know what flyover brand “Duke’s” is and I still know Hellman’s (of course) is better.

by Anonymousreply 20June 29, 2020 12:26 AM

I have a lifelong dislike for mayo; it's not what I was raised eating, which was Miracle Whip whipped salad dressing, as a sandwich spread, in tuna salad, etc. ("Gasp!" says the DL collectively. I know. ) Mayo has a salty flavor to it that I just don't care for, although over the years, I've sampled different brands. If I had to choose one of them for a product that I just don't care for, I'd have to say Blue Plate. I was mildly impressed, 'tho not sufficiently to keep it available in my fridge.

When I order Whataburger's Double Meat with Cheese, add jalapeños to the burger, and I tell them, 'add mayo, no mustard,' I have no idea what brand of mayo they're using. But that's probably the only mayo I eat on a semi-regular basis (I do Whataburger maybe once a month).

by Anonymousreply 21June 29, 2020 12:31 AM

r19, you described exactly my taste buds reaction to Duke's!

I detected Duke's is a bit saltier and creamier than Hellman's and I really enjoyed that.

by Anonymousreply 22June 29, 2020 12:33 AM

Duke's is first choice.

by Anonymousreply 23June 29, 2020 12:40 AM

Duke's is the mother sauce of the south.

by Anonymousreply 24June 29, 2020 12:41 AM

I'm surprised no one has spoken up for Hienz. I find it superior to the vile people-chow that you plebeians are consuming.

by Anonymousreply 25June 29, 2020 2:20 AM

I'm glad R9 was able to step away from the glory hole down at the bus station long enough to enlighten us.

by Anonymousreply 26June 29, 2020 2:22 AM

[quote]I'm surprised no one has spoken up for Hienz

perhaps because 'Hienz' doesn't exist

by Anonymousreply 27June 29, 2020 2:25 AM

You can make a delicious chocolate cake with mayonnaise. The mayo replaces the eggs and butter or oil. The finished cake is very soft and delicious. I have a recipe if anyone is interested.

by Anonymousreply 28June 29, 2020 2:26 AM

It's all about the TANG.

by Anonymousreply 29June 29, 2020 2:26 AM

I prefer Hellmann's tang as previously mentioned and use it on sandwiches and in salads (potato, macaroni, etc.).

However, I found this GREAT burger recipe that calls for Duke's specifically IN the meat mix. So I keep it on hand for burgers. If you try the recipe, don't be worried about using the fish sauce, it adds great umami flavor, so good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 29, 2020 2:29 AM

Best Foods/Hellman's is better. From the west. I brought home some Duke's last time I was in Florida and it was not bad, just greasier than I like. Best Foods as a lighter, "whipped" consistency. I get enough of greasy from other stuff... don't need it in no mayo Bubba.

by Anonymousreply 31June 29, 2020 2:38 AM

Homemade is best, but you have to be willing to deal with the raw egg situation. For storebought, we have something called Sir Kensington's which is really good but spendy.

by Anonymousreply 32June 29, 2020 2:38 AM

Never heard of Dukes

by Anonymousreply 33June 29, 2020 2:42 AM

[bold]Is homemade mayonnaise safe?[/bold]

Homemade mayonnaise is made with raw eggs that will not be cooked. The United States Department of Agriculture does not recommend eating raw shell eggs that are not cooked or undercooked due to the possibility that Salmonella bacteria may be present. However, homemade mayonnaise can be safely made if raw, in-shell pasteurized eggs or pasteurized egg products are used. It is not possible for consumers to pasteurize eggs in the home. After making homemade mayonnaise with pasteurized eggs or egg products, keep it refrigerated and use it within four days. Do not freeze mayonnaise. Emulsions such as mayonnaise will separate and appear curdled after freezing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 29, 2020 2:43 AM

Duke's as in Daisy. The brand that your racist mother-in-law puts on pimento cheese wonderbread sandwiches.

by Anonymousreply 35June 29, 2020 2:44 AM

Revolting either way.

by Anonymousreply 36June 29, 2020 2:45 AM

Interesting OP

We bought some Duke's online because we could not find Hellman's online during the pandemic and everyone thought the Duke's was tangy versus Hellmans

by Anonymousreply 37June 29, 2020 2:45 AM

R34, we don't have pasteurized in-shell eggs at the store. I think I might have done it myself a couple of times (put them in hot water), but usually I don't worry about it.

by Anonymousreply 38June 29, 2020 2:46 AM

I make my own. It's surprisingly easy and it tastes wonderful.

For some strange reason this posted in the lee Daniels Brokeback Mountain thread too, and it has nothing at all to do with Lee Daniels and BBM.

I think Vann Jones did this behind my back.

by Anonymousreply 39June 29, 2020 3:05 AM

My homemade is best, when I can get pasteurized shell eggs. If not mine IA with Blue Plate. I tried it once and I never went back to Hellman's. But Hellman's does come next. I really disliked Duke's. I can't believe I waited all my life to find that crap and was so disappointed when I finally got a jar of Duke's.

by Anonymousreply 40June 29, 2020 3:10 AM

Another vote for Kewpie. Drizzle it over a plate of sliced, summer-kissed tomatoes and taste what happens!

by Anonymousreply 41June 29, 2020 4:13 AM

I grew up in the South and had plenty of Duke's and Hellmann's both as a kid. My mother preferred Blue Plate, my grandparents would only eat Hellmann's and my father would only eat Duke's - as a rule. I have moved all over the country with for work and had lost touch entirely with Duke's until maybe 2 years ago when I started seeing it on the shelves again. I was in for a little nostalgia so I bought a jar and was rather disappointed. To me, the flavor was "eggy" and as others have pointed out above - somehow "greasy". I'll stick with Hellmann's from here on out.

by Anonymousreply 42June 29, 2020 6:31 AM

I also grew up in the South and my mother would never cook with anything but Duke's. But, once I left and starting cooking myself, I started using Hellman's and have been ever since. A while back I thought I'd give Duke's a try once again and it wasn't nearly as tasty as Hellman's. And I like the new upside-down squeeze bottle. Hellman's forever!

by Anonymousreply 43June 29, 2020 6:49 AM

Found Duke's at my local supermarket last week and bought a jar. Tried it last night. It's good, better than Kraft or store brands, but not better than Hellman's, just as good maybe.

by Anonymousreply 44June 29, 2020 7:22 AM

Bring out the Hellmann's and bring out the best!

by Anonymousreply 45June 29, 2020 7:37 AM

Walmart’s Great Value Mayonnaise is made by one of the majors. Surprisingly good.

by Anonymousreply 46June 29, 2020 7:39 AM

Duke’s is definitely tangier than Hellman’s, and Duke’s has no sugar added, which is a plus, but for certain things I’d rather have the more neutral flavor of Hellman’s. I do like Sir Kensington’s quite a lot too.

by Anonymousreply 47June 29, 2020 7:41 AM

Trader Joe's Organic is very good also.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 29, 2020 8:54 AM

[Quote] Trader Joe's Organic is very good also.

NO it isn't.

by Anonymousreply 49June 29, 2020 6:14 PM

Never had Duke’s. I grew up on Hellmann’s and I’m loyal to it. I remember watching my mom make potato salad once. She ran out of Hellmann’s and had to open a store brand. The color and texture were completely different! Really grossed me out.

by Anonymousreply 50June 29, 2020 6:19 PM

I thought Kewpie was nasty. I so wanted to like it, but I hated it.

by Anonymousreply 51June 29, 2020 6:22 PM

I've tried Duke's, but I prefer Bikes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 29, 2020 10:33 PM

In chef school, we had a sauce test. We could make any of a number of sauces. I chose boiled dressing, which is miracle whip. I mixed up vinegar and water and vegetable oil and sugar and flour and salt and mustard and white pepper and boiled it into paste. The fumes from the boiling vinegar were like tear gas I remember. I made a second version of the boiled dressing with some bacon fat and horseradish for a dressing for an aspic - I loved making weird shit that nobody else would go near.

by Anonymousreply 53July 1, 2020 5:55 AM

R48 - never tried the "Organic Mayonnaise", but Trader Joe's plain old "Real Mayonnaise" is SO GOOD. Far more flavorful than Hellman's or Duke's with a much stronger vinegary 'zip!'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 1, 2020 5:59 AM

R52 if you can’t be an athlete, be an athletic supporter!

by Anonymousreply 55July 1, 2020 6:01 AM

I will have to try the "Real" version now; thanks R54! I liked the Organic so much on the first try that I stuck with it (although I always have Hellmann's/Best Foods in the fridge as well). Thank you for the recommendation.

by Anonymousreply 56July 1, 2020 6:06 AM

Chef school = cock sucking school, wasn't it?

by Anonymousreply 57July 1, 2020 6:19 AM

Unfortunately I didn't get my cock sucked in chef school, sad troll R57. There may have been one or two cocksuckers, but they weren't to my taste. It was a small school,. Only 8 graduated from my class.

by Anonymousreply 58July 2, 2020 4:31 PM

Only Blue Plate for me.

by Anonymousreply 59July 2, 2020 5:33 PM

I also grew up with Hellmann’s. I never heard of Duke’s.

by Anonymousreply 60July 2, 2020 10:17 PM

I tried Duke’s for the first time today, and I’m going back to Hellmann’s. I will never stray again.

by Anonymousreply 61August 24, 2020 11:32 PM

It’s all crap

by Anonymousreply 62August 24, 2020 11:42 PM

ff op

by Anonymousreply 63August 24, 2020 11:44 PM

It's no really mayo, but if I'm going to use it for something, I vote Miracle Whip.

by Anonymousreply 64August 24, 2020 11:47 PM

[quote]Another vote for Kewpie. Drizzle it over a plate of sliced, summer-kissed tomatoes and taste what happens!

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 65August 24, 2020 11:59 PM

If you can’t spare the 15 minutes it takes to make real, fresh mayonnaise, don’t bother. Have some miracle whip.

by Anonymousreply 66August 25, 2020 1:00 AM

I’m a Duke’s believer. Good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 67August 25, 2020 1:02 AM

Duke's is made by tweeners in all the reform schools in North Carolina poppin' their zits.

by Anonymousreply 68August 25, 2020 1:03 AM

So many mayo threads here over the years. And I always mention that in the early 1980s I worked part-time as a technician in the Microbiology QC Lab at the Best Foods Mayonnaise factory in San Francisco when I was an undergrad. I called it "The Mayo Clinic". Owned by CPC (aka Corn Products Company) International, I had to run around the vast factory, sometimes on narrow catwalks four stories high -- above all of the pipes, vats, and tanks, and take samples for bacterial culturing at every step in the process. It was a relic from the 1940s or 50s. Very few safety provisions. I had a moderate fear of heights, which became severe.

I also had to take samples of incoming raw ingredients. One of them was The Scary Egg Tanker Truck. It would arrive on Tuesdays and Fridays at 5:00am. When I left the lab to get an egg sample, I had to put a large orange magnetic button on the metal door. I had to grab a wrench, sterile sample cup, and a ladle, march down 4 flights catwalk stairs to the loading dock, climb up the ladder on the side of the tanker to the top, loosen the 6 lug nuts, turn the wheel and open the hatch, and hang my body over 10,000 gallons of cold cracked eggs to take the temperature and take a sample. Had to run for my life back up those metal stairs to the lab and remove the orange button, because if I didn't return in seven minutes, they'd call the fire department, assuming I was getting hypothermia and drowning in eggs. What away to go at age 21, I thought. But I was saving the World from Salmonella because I was -- and still am -- Lotionman, Superhero!

Every time I left the Micro lab to go out to get samples, I would have to pass through the Chemistry Lab which produced the "natural flavorings". One of them was the pungent tert-butanol (CH3)3COH . The concentrated smell would almost knock me out. It is the key ingredient in artificial butter -- it's the smell of the stuff that they put on your popcorn at the movie theaters, which is much more dilute.

This gig paid twice minimum wage. But I got tired of getting up at 3:30 am to take the MUNI Night Owl bus with the freaks to get to the factory by 4:30 am, so I quit after six months.

Despite all that, I think Best Foods mayo really is the Best (so... Be Best?). No one has mentioned "Miracle Whip". That factory should be carpet bombed. Never had this Duke's stuff. It's not available here, but I'd boycott it anyway because it is from the Red States. Have tried "Organic Canolo Oil Spread" and "Veganaisse" Just, No.

by Anonymousreply 69August 25, 2020 1:14 AM

[quote]No one has mentioned "Miracle Whip".

Miracle Whip is marketed as "salad dressing" rather than mayonnaise.

by Anonymousreply 70August 25, 2020 2:56 AM

It’s all crap. Real mayo is fab and takes a minute to make in a food processor. Now if I could just find some of those orange colored yokes that one sees on UK cooking shows...

by Anonymousreply 71August 25, 2020 3:57 AM

I was wondering when the make your own mayo troll would show up.

by Anonymousreply 72August 25, 2020 4:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!