Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WEHT Mena Suvari?

She was the "hot cheerleader" in American Beauty and the show choir cutie in American Beauty, making her the most hyped young actress of 1999.

Her subsequent filmography is filled mostly with stuff that I never heard of.

What happened?

by Anonymousreply 56July 2, 2020 7:18 PM

It's WHET you fat whore!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1June 28, 2020 7:42 PM

OP, you wrote American Beauty twice instead of American Pie for one of them, but yes, I recall the hype.

I remember watching both and thinking, “Why is this girl getting all the attention? She’s kind of odd looking and not very charismatic.”

And Thora Birch stole American Beauty and Shannon Elizabeth, Tara Reid and Willow stole American Pie.

She is one of those “It Girls” who turns out to be mistakenly pre-anointed by Hollywood hype machine until someone says, “Stop trying to make Mena Suvari happen!”

by Anonymousreply 2June 28, 2020 8:08 PM

I am having an off day.

by Anonymousreply 3June 28, 2020 8:16 PM

I saw her in a hotel lobby once and she is so ugly IRL she looks deformed. Her face looks like a melted rubber baby doll.

by Anonymousreply 4June 28, 2020 8:35 PM

I remember her popping up on Six Feet Under and lezzing our with Claire.

Didn’t she play Nicole Brown Simpson recently?

by Anonymousreply 5June 28, 2020 8:58 PM

I don't know. I'll ask Thora Birch and Wes Bentley, if I can locate them.

by Anonymousreply 6June 28, 2020 9:24 PM

Wes Bentley has been in some major movies.

Thora is a mess from a messy family. I watched her have a catty standoff with Erika Christensen many years ago when their stars were beginning to fall. It really was like watching two cats size one another up with claws ready to go.

by Anonymousreply 7June 28, 2020 9:29 PM

Thora Birch was great on the latest season of The Walking Dead (acting mostly alongside Samantha Morton).

by Anonymousreply 8June 28, 2020 9:45 PM

There are not enough good roles for women. Or for anyone other than a few.

by Anonymousreply 9June 28, 2020 9:52 PM

Mena was murdered by her ankles. Hollywood doesn't go for cankles. Also, Tori Spelling should have had that part. She WAS sexy. And just as good an actress.

by Anonymousreply 10June 28, 2020 10:06 PM

[quote] I watched her have a catty standoff with Erika Christensen many years ago when their stars were beginning to fall. It really was like watching two cats size one another up with claws ready to go.

R7, more details about this please!

by Anonymousreply 11June 28, 2020 10:08 PM

[quote] WEHT Mena Suvari?

Kevin Spacey drowned her in a bathtub of roses because she was getting in the way of some Wes Bentley & him alone time.

by Anonymousreply 12June 28, 2020 10:11 PM

Reese Witherspoon stole Mena's career in the early 2000s. "Legally Blonde", "Sweet Home Alabama", "Walk the Line". Coulda been Mena!

by Anonymousreply 13June 28, 2020 10:25 PM

R11 There aren’t really any further details to report. It was after an awards show. Thora sent for her car and was waiting, and she came over to my friend and me and asked us what time it was and sighed deeply and said she asked for her car 10 minutes ago—which she did; we watched the whole time. She seemed pretty sweet and was a little chatty. Then she went and stood closer to the door to watch for her car. Erika approached her and kind of circled, and the two of them looked one another up and down and put on hostile-looking fake smiles. It was just a very “real housewives feud” looking interaction. It seemed like they were opposite poles on a magnet repelling one another—or like two cats with bad chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 14June 28, 2020 10:27 PM

Wes Bentley is on Yellowstone which is basically Succession on a ranch.

by Anonymousreply 15June 28, 2020 10:38 PM

R15 So it’s Dallas?

by Anonymousreply 16June 28, 2020 10:42 PM

But without JR

by Anonymousreply 17June 28, 2020 10:48 PM

R17 The JR is a woman, yes?

by Anonymousreply 18June 28, 2020 10:49 PM

I just saw her in a fairly recent movie she did called "The Murder of Nicole Brown Simpson". It is difficult to exaggerate how bad it is. The actresses playing Faye Resnick and Kris Jenner seem to have wandered off an SNL skit.

But Mena is oddly effective.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 28, 2020 10:51 PM

She always reminded me of a young Natalie Schafer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 28, 2020 11:09 PM

R10 You might be onto something. Her entire lower half is weird.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 29, 2020 5:49 AM

Her character on SFU deserved a swift kick to the cuntbone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 29, 2020 5:56 AM

I always confuse Mena Suvari with Mira Sorvino.

by Anonymousreply 23June 29, 2020 12:44 PM

Besides initials and being blondes, they have nothing in common.

by Anonymousreply 24June 29, 2020 12:47 PM

Wasn't she rumored to be heavily into BDSM as a sub? I read it here over 10 years ago. She began appearing in pap shots with a shaved head for a while and looked kind of rough. Apparently, it wasn't for a role and she sported it for a while. Maybe her career was derailed for the time she was in such a relationship. Doesn't the control and humiliation extend to other aspects of a subs life?

by Anonymousreply 25June 29, 2020 3:07 PM

Here's the old thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 29, 2020 3:18 PM

She looked so matronly at the Oscars the year that shitfest American Beauty won.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 29, 2020 3:26 PM

R27, American Beauty shitfest. Hmmm. Which film should have won that year? The Insider? The Cider House Rules? That was a pretty bad year for films/awards.

by Anonymousreply 28June 29, 2020 3:36 PM

Wes Bentley has a serious drug problem that derailed his career but got his act together.

I hope Thora got away from her awful parents they derailed her career for at least 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 29June 29, 2020 4:06 PM

She was also in Loser with Jason Biggs. And I liked the movie Sugar and Spice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 29, 2020 4:09 PM

R28 The Insider is great.

Also, 1999 is considered one of the great movie years; there was even a book about it last year. Other movies released that year: Election, Go, The Straight Story, Fight Club, Bringing Out the Dead, The Green Mile, The Limey, Office Space, The Iron Giant, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Magnolia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 29, 2020 4:17 PM

I just spent 10 minutes trying to find the SNL clip where she played Aaron Carter but Lorne/SNL is so fucking stingy you can't watch old clips anymore. God he's a prick.

by Anonymousreply 32June 29, 2020 4:17 PM

Here's a pic anyway. It was hilarious if anyone can find it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 29, 2020 4:20 PM

R31, 1999? Meh.

by Anonymousreply 34June 29, 2020 4:47 PM

Was she one of Harvey's Girls?

by Anonymousreply 35June 29, 2020 5:15 PM

R35 I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 36June 29, 2020 6:01 PM

She shaved her head for the lead role in the 2008 movie Garden of Eden.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 29, 2020 6:56 PM

American Beauty was a masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 38June 29, 2020 11:32 PM

My great uncle thought American Beauty was obscene and immoral and he stormed out of the movie theatre!

And yet he loved Donald Trump.

by Anonymousreply 39June 29, 2020 11:35 PM

I liked her, but she seemed to fizzle out pretty quickly. It also doesn't help that there aren't a lot of roles for women from sexpot to mother of teenager/college kid. I don't really see Mena as a mom.

by Anonymousreply 40June 29, 2020 11:48 PM

Except that Mena is not sexy. She didn't even give a performance. She was photographed as an object of that ugly man's lust. She didn't have to do anything. She's resembled a young Nia Vardalos.

Look at Reese Witherspoon's pic upthread. Say what you want, but that girl was a STAR. From the beginning. She's also a very fine actress and YES, she was pretty.

Mena was down the hallway on another floor from being a Harvey Girl. Choices never got that unattractive for him until recently.

by Anonymousreply 41June 30, 2020 12:25 AM

R33, that skit was indeed hysterical. I've not seen it in years, but I remember it being funny now that you mentioned it. You have a good memory!

I think Mena's main issue was taking most any role that was offered to her. Granted, the teenage gross out films were huge at the time (let's not pretend 'American Pie' was Shakespeare). It was easy money, but at the same time, she could've been more selective after 'American Beauty' (even if she had a contract for the 'American Pie' sequels...those kids made bank for those). She's not a bad actress, and looks just different enough to not've been pigeonholed into the blonde startlet curse like Tara Reid or Heather Graham.

by Anonymousreply 42June 30, 2020 12:36 AM

Heather Graham is an acting genius compared to Mena Suvlaki. And much more attractive.

by Anonymousreply 43June 30, 2020 12:38 AM

I know people laughed at the 50s kitsch, but I thought Mira Sorvino looked spectacular at the Oscars that year she was nominated, I remember there was a red carpet interview with her father and he actually got a catch in her throat because he was so proud of her. She looked so much better than Gwyneth looked a few years later for HER oscar win.

by Anonymousreply 44June 30, 2020 12:49 AM

R43 Sorvino has always dressed beautifully and I'll never understand why she isn't considered one of the Hollywood fashion icons like Goop is. Though she did make People's "Best Dressed" list in 1997.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 30, 2020 12:53 AM

This is why, R45.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 30, 2020 12:59 AM

Erika Christensen and Julia Stiles both had fat faces and monotone voices. I think Stiles' career lasted longer because she was willing to fuck black guys in her films.

The fat face monotone came back in style with Jennifer Lawrence.

What will the 2020s hold?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 30, 2020 1:00 AM

Erika Christensen and Julia Stiles both had fat faces and monotone voices. I think Stiles' career lasted longer because she was willing to fuck black guys in her films.

The fat face monotone came back in style with Jennifer Lawrence.

What will the 2020s hold?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 30, 2020 1:00 AM

Erika is proudly defensive of her cult.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 30, 2020 1:02 AM

R46 I was gonna ask if Weinstein controlled the fashion press, but looking back, a lot of Harvey Girls did get covers/magazine spreads. I also remember a truly terrible insert for Levi's khakis featuring only Harvey Girls. It was right after those Gap swing ads and every company pushed their khakis.

by Anonymousreply 50June 30, 2020 1:03 AM

R50 Harvey Weinstein was the producer of Project Runway. He had models who fucked him cast on the show, in addition to his wife, The Gorgeously Complicit Georgina Chapman. So yes.

by Anonymousreply 51June 30, 2020 1:06 AM

[quote]Mena was down the hallway on another floor from being a Harvey Girl.

Oh, don't even!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 30, 2020 1:16 AM

Mena is 41 and on her third husband. Maybe she's trying to make this one work.

by Anonymousreply 53June 30, 2020 1:25 AM

Her first husband was way older than her.

by Anonymousreply 54June 30, 2020 2:53 AM

R49. Ew. Brainwashed and delusional freak.

by Anonymousreply 55July 2, 2020 3:23 PM

[quote] saw her in a hotel lobby once and she is so ugly IRL she looks deformed. Her face looks like a melted rubber baby doll.

That was Helen Hunt

by Anonymousreply 56July 2, 2020 7:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!