Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do a lot of elderly Americans drive these little golf carts around? Or it just in warm climates?

MORE QUESTIONS: Do they actually own them? Take them into town? Do any of our own eldergays have one? Or do you know anyone who owns one?

When I first came to the USA in the 70s as a kiddie and saw them in the golf clubs I longed to drive one. I still do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 4, 2020 11:36 PM

Golf carts. Typically seen only in planned private retirement communities, and usually those with golf courses. You can't drive them on normal public roads. Many of these retirement communities, like The Villages, have their own shopping areas where you can drive them.

by Anonymousreply 1June 28, 2020 3:20 PM

OP, not that elderly but I lived in a coastal town where the locals had golf carts and we drove them everywhere. Mine had bigger than normal "mud" tires and a rear facing seat that flipped down with cargo space and a flat surface. Blinkers, rearview mirror, totally tricked out. We took it to eat, bar hop, go to the grocery/hardware store (I put a new trash can and other supplies on the back). The best thing was the cops tended to look the other way if we were driving with cocktails.

by Anonymousreply 2June 28, 2020 3:21 PM

They drive them in warm areas of the country in gated senior communities. For one thing, it’s hot walking in a place like Florida & snakes live in trees & can drop right down on you while walking. Fire ants can bite you while you’re walking in sandals. Seniors often have balance problems and they can use a golf cart rather than a cane. And best of all, they won’t get a DUI. All of these senior communities have bars, restaurants & clubhouses that serve alcohol. Oldies can get wasted while listening to the oldies and drive home in their golf carts.

by Anonymousreply 3June 28, 2020 3:23 PM

R3 - not true, you can get a DUI with a golf cart. You can also get a DUI on a bicycle.

Now if it is a gated community and their security looks the other way - that's one thing. But, you are not immune from arrest normally.

by Anonymousreply 4June 28, 2020 4:17 PM

You can drive them on public streets in Palm Springs. Not sure what their DMV classification is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 28, 2020 5:18 PM

Golf carts have to follow the same rules as cars. They should yield to pedestrians and cyclists.

by Anonymousreply 6June 28, 2020 5:20 PM

I've seen some amusing customized carts in Palm Springs. If one is just driving around town not going great distances they're practical . Inexpensive as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 28, 2020 5:29 PM

r5's pic is Palm Desert, not Palm Springs. A world of difference. Palm Desert has a golf cart parade the same day as Pride in Palm Springs.

by Anonymousreply 8June 28, 2020 5:42 PM

I love this one (& many others) from r7's link

[quote]“A truly rare original…they don’t make them like this anymore!”

oops they won't let me link it

by Anonymousreply 9June 28, 2020 5:56 PM

In many subdivisions in the south, people drive them around.

by Anonymousreply 10June 28, 2020 5:59 PM

I did my graduate degree at Princeton. the undergraduates there were often spoiled rich kids who would spend winter break skiiing and break a leg,. they would be given the use of golf carts by the university to get around from class to class. Since the drinking culture there was so pronounced, they would get drunk and try to ram their golf carts into lampposts on weekend evenings, with the goal of bringing down the lightbulbs in them.

I never saw a group of more entitled idiots than at that school.

by Anonymousreply 11June 28, 2020 6:03 PM

Very common in the warmer climates with a population of people over 60. Certain cities in the Palm Springs area allow them on public streets. Also they are allowed on public sidewalks. Not a big deal, it is very uncommon to have an issue with one, as they know they would die instantly with the slightest impact of your car and their cart. They tend to be more aggressive within the gated communities at times. There is parking for them in shopping centers near gated communities. Not really a bad way to get around, minus the inherent danger of being t-boned by a truck.

by Anonymousreply 12June 28, 2020 6:13 PM

On Catalina Island, it's the only way to get around!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 28, 2020 6:21 PM

I work for an insurance company and we had an insured person who lived in this exact racist fucking community in florida that is at OP's link. He drove his golf cart into a lake

There's a LOT of retirees from NY/NJ that live there. All deplorables. Each and every one of them

by Anonymousreply 14June 28, 2020 6:33 PM

Some towns have been built specifically for golf cart usage. Here in Georgia we have Peachtree City, west of Atlanta. They have 90 miles of paths used mainly by golf carts. Residents can leave their house in their cart and drive directly to the shops and big box stores on the paths. I have a friend who lives out there and she dearly loves being able to shop without having to crank the car up.

Margaret Cho lived there during her years filming Drop Dead Diva. May still live there for all I know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 28, 2020 6:50 PM

Honestly, I wouldn’t mind living in a car-free community like that when I’m old. But obviously not one filled with deplorables. Hopefully most of them will be dead soon.

by Anonymousreply 16June 28, 2020 7:04 PM

They drive them on the roads in the Sun Cities and Scottsdale. Just a few weeks ago there was a vehicle/golf car accident. Doesn't turn out very well.

by Anonymousreply 17June 28, 2020 7:15 PM

r12 How could you drive a golf cart on a sidewalk? Most sidewalks wouldn't be wide enough, and there are curbs.

by Anonymousreply 18June 28, 2020 7:57 PM

A lot of homes in more upscale retirement communities have a separate space and door to the garage specifically for golf carts. Along with a charging set-up, as well.

by Anonymousreply 19June 28, 2020 7:57 PM

I live in a multi building condo complex in the Chicago area. There are full time complex maintenance staff members.

Although we have a pickup truck for bigger jobs (and some snow plowing) some years back the PTB decided to try out a golf cart to be used by the maintenance staff. They loved it and apparently argued which of them would use it. As a result, we now have more than one golf cart used by maintenance to allow for faster movement between buildings. Much more efficient time wise and also I think for carrying tools on board.

I think they attach a step ladder to the back of the cart and, probably some commonly needed items, light bulbs, perhaps.

The carts are parked in one of the building's garages over night.

It's very common to see the guys zooming around from place to face.

Both energy efficient and time efficient for our use.

by Anonymousreply 20June 28, 2020 8:36 PM

^ should be "place to place".

by Anonymousreply 21June 28, 2020 8:45 PM

It's fun. My Dad lived in FL and they used these to get around. Not legal on the streets, but you can go the the shopping plaza adjacent to the complex, so groceries, pharm, barber, chinese food, pizza, dry cleaning and LIQUOR, Liquor, liquor, the only way to retire in FL.

by Anonymousreply 22June 28, 2020 8:57 PM

You have to be drunk off your ass on a golf cart for a cop to give you a DUI in the villages. Like 3x the limit and running-over-people’s-pink-flamingoes- drunk. They don’t have golf cart sobriety checkpoints on holiday weekends. You won’t see cop cars hiding behind the viburnum bushes waiting to pull people over when they’re putt-putting home from the poolside bar & grill.

by Anonymousreply 23June 28, 2020 9:20 PM

[quote] try out a golf cart to be used by the maintenance staff.

Aren’t those Cushmans?

by Anonymousreply 24June 28, 2020 9:22 PM

Sounds good for relaxed errands. How long does the power charge last for?

by Anonymousreply 25June 29, 2020 4:07 AM

You should charge them every night R25 but you can run around all day on a full charge.

by Anonymousreply 26June 29, 2020 3:43 PM

BBW on scooty-puffs are a lot more common.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 29, 2020 3:49 PM

No, R24.

They are golf carts.

by Anonymousreply 28June 29, 2020 10:42 PM

R18, many places have sidewalk widths of 10' that are near these golf cart type areas.

by Anonymousreply 29July 4, 2020 11:18 PM

I wish they were more common in towns, fewer cars. Don't need a car when you're just going down to the shops.

by Anonymousreply 30July 4, 2020 11:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!