Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hulu BANS Golden Girls Episode

The one where Blanche & Rose had mud mask treatments

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159September 7, 2022 12:49 AM

Is this the episode when Michael's in-laws show up?

by Anonymousreply 1June 28, 2020 1:49 AM

Potential in-laws, they were only engaged, not married

by Anonymousreply 2June 28, 2020 1:50 AM

LITERAL VIOLENCE

by Anonymousreply 3June 28, 2020 1:54 AM

This has gone too far now.

by Anonymousreply 4June 28, 2020 1:59 AM

Blanche and Rose didn't wear blackface to impersonate African American people. Rather, they had applied a mud treatment to their faces. Of course, it looked bad to Michael's future in-laws. Especially when his future mother-in-law had assumed that Michael was black, and without her glasses, she mistook Blanche and Rose for Michael's parents.

The episode delivers the message that family (even family-by-marriage) trumps race, when it's announced at the wedding ceremony that the couple are pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 5June 28, 2020 1:59 AM

Time to bring Rob and Laura Petrie to justice

The Dick Van Dyke Show Season 4, Episode 28:

Millie and Laura are home dying a costume for Richie's school play, and Laura immerses her hands into the vat of dye, not realizing that the dye is indelible. They run over to Millie's home to see if they can find some way to get the dye out of Laura's hands. Meanwhile, Rob comes home, sees the vat, and can't help but reach inside to see what it is. Thus both Rob and Laura end up with black hands. Rob becomes visibly upset, and he explains to Laura that they have to represent Alan Brady at an important community banquet celebrating racial progress. Try as they might, the only solution that they can think of is to wear white gloves to the banquet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 28, 2020 2:15 AM

Oh for fuck's sake.

by Anonymousreply 7June 28, 2020 2:31 AM

leftism is cancer

by Anonymousreply 8June 28, 2020 2:34 AM

This is why even liberals hate Hollywood liberals.

Activists: “Hire more people of color! Let minorities tell their own stories! Stop glorifying the police state!”

Hollywood: “CENSOR BLACKFACE UP TO AND INCLUDING MUD MASKS!”

by Anonymousreply 9June 28, 2020 2:34 AM

Only 3% agree with the ban

by Anonymousreply 10June 28, 2020 2:37 AM

Variety .com? I would’ve assumed this was from the onion.

by Anonymousreply 11June 28, 2020 2:38 AM

R11 which is why I provided the link

As I didn't think anyone would believe me

by Anonymousreply 12June 28, 2020 2:39 AM

Jenna Marbles, some Youtube star, just cancelled herself for impersonating Nicki Minaj in a 10 year old video. Critics claimed that Marbles was building on the legacy of blacks, as if the cultural contribution of Nicki Minaj is so profound. There should be a distinction between those who are doing a sincere homage, like Billy Crystal doing Sammy Davis Jr, and those who are obviously exaggerating someone's appearance.

BTW, Marbles apology video is a 10 minute cringefest.

by Anonymousreply 13June 28, 2020 2:44 AM

That is even more ridiculous then them removing the Community episode Advanced Dungeons and Dragons because Chang was dressed as a Dark Elf, and he was wearing black makeup - literally black

Watch out Friends and Seinfeld, the episodes where Ross and Kramer get overly tan are next.

I think the intentions are good here, but completely miss th point.

Can we cancel the shit-gibbon in orange face that's in the White House? That would do more good than re-casting Marshmallow on Bob's Burgers

by Anonymousreply 14June 28, 2020 2:46 AM

Ridiculous. Now the population is too fragile to watch the Golden Girls from the 1980s. Blanche & Rose aren't exactly Amos & Andy.

by Anonymousreply 15June 28, 2020 2:48 AM

Folks need to stop putting 2020 standards on 1980's television programming.

by Anonymousreply 16June 28, 2020 3:43 AM

This is fucking RIDICULOUS. And I say that as a 39-year old gay man of color who considers himself progressive. (I know, technically, 39 makes me an Eldergay, but still...)

I support #BLM, I support the removal of confederate statues and I certainly don't support literal black/brown face or white actors playing people of color. So, yeah, for instance, I think those Little Britain sketches are gross. And, yeah, I think Jimmy Kimmel was right for apologizing for wearing black face. And, yeah, I think it's great that The Simpsons says that white actors will no longer voice characters of color. That's all good.

But, as R5 said, that is NOT at all what this episode of Golden Girls was doing. Blanche and Rose weren't wearing black/brown face. They weren't even intending to or trying to make a joke, nor where they impersonating people of color. It was just a farcical gag. This particular instance of 'canceling' is just silly.

by Anonymousreply 17June 28, 2020 3:50 AM

r17, is woke but DRAWS the Line at the GOLDEN GIRLS!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 18June 28, 2020 4:10 AM

Has anyone reached out to Lamar Zbornaik yet?

by Anonymousreply 19June 28, 2020 4:17 AM

I have the box set already, so I’m losing nothing. However, I wonder if this will impact the planned blu ray remastering of the series

by Anonymousreply 20June 28, 2020 4:24 AM

Fuck, there goes the Designing Women "We're the Rowdy Girls" episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 28, 2020 4:28 AM

[quote] Only 3% agree with the ban

It has gone up to 6% now

by Anonymousreply 22June 28, 2020 4:42 AM

Why are some people so challenged when it comes to understanding nuance and context? R21 is a VERY clear example of black/brown face. Noted heifer Delta Burke is very clearly wearing black/brown face and deliberately impersonating a black Supreme. That is NOT the same thing as this Golden Girls episode in any way shape or form.

Guess what? You can support progress, find black/brown face unacceptable AND understand that in this particular case, this Golden Girls episode is fine.

by Anonymousreply 23June 28, 2020 4:48 AM

It's this kind of thing that makes me, a white attorney who frequently represents black people pro bono, a person who has never had a racist thought before, feel fucking racist.

My point is that this is extremism is defeating the purpose.

by Anonymousreply 24June 28, 2020 4:50 AM

Golden Girls and 30 Rock are purged, yet some racists are given a total pass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 28, 2020 5:02 AM

One of the few episodes with black characters on The Golden Girls, now purged.

by Anonymousreply 26June 28, 2020 6:37 AM

R23 I guess people are too dumb and reflexive to understand CONTEXT. Anyone with a triple digit IQ who watches that scene knows the comedy comes from Rose & Blanche thinking that the black family is going to THINK they’re doing Blackface, not that they are actually doing blackface.

Wtf is wrong with people?

by Anonymousreply 27June 28, 2020 6:50 AM

The episode was written by a black woman...

by Anonymousreply 28June 28, 2020 6:52 AM

Why not just cut out the “offending” scene.

by Anonymousreply 29June 28, 2020 6:53 AM

Exhume Blanche, Sophia and Dorothy and axe the hoes why they did that!

by Anonymousreply 30June 28, 2020 6:58 AM

You mean Heauxs, r30.

by Anonymousreply 31June 28, 2020 7:02 AM

I noticed that in the episode where Blanche tries to sell Rose her old car, the syndicated versions all censor out Blanche's line about what her grandfather used to say about selling your friend a car or a slave.

by Anonymousreply 32June 28, 2020 7:12 AM

It's getting ridiculous.

This video will probably make SJW's heads explode. Billy Crystal imitates two black men AND two black women.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 28, 2020 7:16 AM

R23, but the episode of "Designing Women" actually does tackle the subject in more depth than the usually cringeworthy examples of blackface or yellowface do.

Julia tells Suzanne that wearing dark makeup would be racist. Suzanne argues that they are playing "The Supremes" and all she's doing is putting on makeup to look more like the character she's supposed to be playing. They even ask Anthony what he thinks about it and Julia rings up the NAACP to get some guidance.

I didn't think that the episode was making fun of black people at all. In fact it felt like the usual DW plot point showing how self-absorbed and clueless Suzanne could be and what a tiresome, nagging SJW scold Julia could be. It's too bad Meshach Taylor is dead. I wish someone had asked him what he thought of the episode and whether the writers consulted him or any other black people at the time.

by Anonymousreply 34June 28, 2020 7:20 AM

R28 - it was? IMDB credits Christopher Lloyd (and, of course, Susan Harris as creator)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 28, 2020 7:26 AM

Wait until they find the Letter to Gorbachev episode, where Rose runs out of the house in a Native American headdress!

by Anonymousreply 36June 28, 2020 7:53 AM

Dorothy was a racist in that episode. “Oh, god,” she says when her son confirms his fiancé is black. Rose asks what color dandruff black people get.

Don’t forget the Kim Fong Toy episode. Many episodes of The Golden Girls are going to be banned now.

by Anonymousreply 37June 28, 2020 7:59 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 28, 2020 8:11 AM

[quote]Can we cancel the shit-gibbon in orange face that's in the White House? That would do more good than re-casting Marshmallow on Bob's Burgers

In case you haven't noticed, no, we can't cancel Trump, which is why people are making changes everywhere else, in areas that they can change.

Everyone here is older than god so I don't know why you haven't experienced this before, and remembered that these things almost always swing back. In the 1990s there was a big movement to remove rape scenes from movies and shows on TV, and you'd get warnings and edits, but by the mid 2000s that was quietly discarded because the moment had passed. One of the Turner channels about 20 years ago stopped showing pre-code movies because of the offensive stereotypes but then started showing them again on TCM.

The same is going to happen here. Golden Girls will go to another streaming service in 3 years or so, and they'll just start quietly showing this episode again.

by Anonymousreply 39June 28, 2020 8:12 AM

Miss. Suzanne Sugarbaker you're next ghurl!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 28, 2020 8:13 AM

R37 yeah but she was dumber than shit (they’ve also edited that line out recently I noticed). She also asked if “jewelry was made by Jewish people.” And my money is on a Jewish person having written that line.

by Anonymousreply 41June 28, 2020 8:16 AM

Just fuckin work! Yo, a lot of blacks got shot at this weekend in Chicago. No protests?! Wtf

by Anonymousreply 42June 28, 2020 8:22 AM

Dare I say Megan kelly covered this subject with more depth than the sjw scolds in the media. The ones I was most embarrassed for were the guests on her show who only pretended to be offended after the ridiculous backlash. Megan’s reputation for challenging the culture at nbc supports the narrative that her cancellation was either payback or damage control.

by Anonymousreply 43June 28, 2020 8:27 AM

Remember , there was long period when ‘Girl/Girls’ was taboo. You’re only supposed to say ‘Woman/Women’.

by Anonymousreply 44June 28, 2020 8:34 AM

Okay, something weird just happened. This thread put me in the mood to watch some Golden Girls. I randomly selected 'The President's Coming! Part 1 (S5, EP 25), in which the Secret Service interviews the girls to screen their place as possible photo op with President Bush.

At about 2 minutes 48 seconds in, the agent says "We chose this house as a possibility because there are 4 senior citizens living under one roof."

I have to imagine there was some kind of joke made after that comment -- most likely from Blanche denying she was that old. But instead, they immediately cut to a close up shot of Blanche just smiling before the scene continues. It appears that they've edited something out there.

You can check it out by watching the ep on Hulu and skipping to about 2:48. Anyone else catch this? Any clue what line(s) they removed?

Direct link to episode on Hulu below...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 28, 2020 8:41 AM

“Golden” is ageist AND offensive to statuettes, and “girls” is demeaning to women. The series will be renamed “The Cisgender Women in the Prime of their Lives”

by Anonymousreply 46June 28, 2020 8:44 AM

FFS if anything this episode is worth watching even more so at this time.

If I recall, Dorothy doesn't want him to marry primarily because Lorraine is too old for him. Her family doesn't feel comfortable that he's white.

In the end they all come together because they're having a baby and family trumps difference.

by Anonymousreply 47June 28, 2020 8:48 AM

If you're a "good liberal" and you've obediently supported the cancellations leading up to now--including the reasonable, progressive cancellations as well as the unhinged, divorced-from-reality cancellations--do you really have the moral high ground to complain about this one? The answer is likely no, since you failed to restrain and actually aided this insane cultural revisionism and now you're learning that the best part about purity spirals is sooner or later it's your ass on the line.

by Anonymousreply 48June 28, 2020 9:19 AM

By pulling this episode you are denying these vlavk actors the chance to be seen

by Anonymousreply 49June 28, 2020 9:28 AM

R48, yes.

It reminds me of the people on Reddit who say “Normally I oppose the death penalty, but this crime was so heinous, he deserves it”

by Anonymousreply 50June 28, 2020 9:35 AM

R48 / R50 - again with this bullshit argument? Are you not capable of nuanced responses? One can be opposed to blackface AND still appreciate that Hulu made the wrong call in this particular case.

by Anonymousreply 51June 28, 2020 9:38 AM

[quote]In case you haven't noticed, no, we can't cancel Trump, which is why people are making changes everywhere else, in areas that they can change.

I've been saying this exact same thing for a few years now. People feel powerless when it comes to holding real people in power accountable, so they're wasting all their energy in trying to change things that they can, even if its merely symbolic.

by Anonymousreply 52June 28, 2020 9:51 AM

[quote]Noted heifer Delta Burke is very clearly wearing black/brown face and deliberately impersonating a black Supreme.

I’m surprised they haven’t come yet for Designing Women. Two stars named Delta and Dixie? Seems like a target for cancellation.

by Anonymousreply 53June 28, 2020 10:46 AM

[quote]Remember , there was long period when ‘Girl/Girls’ was taboo. You’re only supposed to say ‘Woman/Women’.

Now you can only say “Cis/Trans”.

by Anonymousreply 54June 28, 2020 10:47 AM

Yes, Blanche snaps at the agent for suggesting she's a senior citizen. The edit has been there for a while, I found an Amazon review from 2016 saying the DVD had been edited.

I'd bet the 2007 DVD version wasn't edited. You can get copies of the 2007 version on Amazon for $7 or so.

Very odd edit, my memory is that the line isn't offensive at all, and apparently the agent saying he needs to interview everyone was also edited out. No reason to do that. Must have been an error and not a content edit.

by Anonymousreply 55June 28, 2020 10:47 AM

[quote] If I recall, Dorothy doesn't want him to marry primarily because Lorraine is too old for him.

And because she’s black. Too many differences.

by Anonymousreply 56June 28, 2020 11:47 AM

This will really fuck up the continuity of the series!!!!

by Anonymousreply 57June 28, 2020 1:40 PM

The line is not on the Dvd, R56.

by Anonymousreply 58June 28, 2020 1:46 PM

While I can't speak for all black people, I know the difference between blackface and satire. And i also know that if you ignore context you are going to end up banning everything.

Again (and I'm not speaking for all black people) but all we asked for was for the police to stop murdering us and for you to stop honoring and turning racist confederates into heroes. I think all of this other stuff is woke white people losing their damned minds and going over board... but of course we are going to get the blame for all this while the woke white people just skate away untouched.

by Anonymousreply 59June 28, 2020 2:05 PM

[quote] It's this kind of thing that makes me, a white attorney who frequently represents black people pro bono, a person who has never had a racist thought before, feel fucking racist.

Why? It’s not as though black people asked Hulu to do this. You’re going to have to try a little harder to find justification for your racism.

by Anonymousreply 60June 28, 2020 2:28 PM

[quote] and now you're learning that the best part about purity spirals is sooner or later it's your ass on the line.

LOL. I know many DLers are ardent Golden Girls fans, but you need to get some perspective if you think the censorship of an episode equates to “your ass on the line.”

by Anonymousreply 61June 28, 2020 2:37 PM

And of course, the fact that Lorraine's parents don't want her to marry Michael BECAUSE HE'S WHITE can't be called "racist" because SJWs et. al. have redefined it to mean ONLY "systematic racism".

So the Greta and her sisters get a free pass, just like the "Brothas only" dudes on Grindr.

PS She was also homophobic - "What do you want him to be, a dancer??"

by Anonymousreply 62June 28, 2020 2:48 PM

^^^ actually that shoudl read "CHOREOGRAPHER", not "dancer"

by Anonymousreply 63June 28, 2020 2:49 PM

THOUGHT POLICE!

by Anonymousreply 64June 28, 2020 2:52 PM

Sophia was trying to end racism by fucking that old black man with alzheimers she met at the docks

by Anonymousreply 65June 28, 2020 2:56 PM

Actually, Sophia pretty much let her racist flag fly in this episode as well. If I'm correct, Dorothy reacted with trepidation when Sophia first enters the scene with Lorraine's family-so her saying something racist was not unexpected from her.

by Anonymousreply 66June 28, 2020 3:37 PM

The Golden Girls is going to end up banned. Too many comments about slavery, Asians, blacks, etc. The Left brought this on themselves.

by Anonymousreply 67June 28, 2020 3:39 PM

Sophia also fucked the Asian Gardener so she was an equal-opportunity slut

by Anonymousreply 68June 28, 2020 4:02 PM

[quote] That is even more ridiculous then them removing the Community episode

Oh, dear!

[quote] when her son confirms his fiancé is black.

Oh, DEAR!!

by Anonymousreply 69June 28, 2020 4:47 PM

This is very niggardly on Hulu’s part.

by Anonymousreply 70June 28, 2020 5:11 PM

Ok, so when are the SJWs going to demand that Chris Rock be canceled? He uses the f-word slur for gay men often in his standups. When does he get his career ruined for his shameless bigotry?

by Anonymousreply 71June 28, 2020 7:39 PM

I think this is an overreaction for a show that is now almost 40 years old. That being said, this is a terrible episode and felt dated even by the standards of the day in the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 72June 28, 2020 7:49 PM

More episodes that will probably get banned sooner or later:

- the episode with Blanche’s “mammy” - the episode where they believe their new black maid put a curse on them

by Anonymousreply 73June 28, 2020 8:00 PM

They came for 30 Rock and I didn't say a thing. They came for Community and I didn't say a thing. They came for The Golden Girls and, now, there will be blood.

by Anonymousreply 74June 28, 2020 8:24 PM

A word of advice, folks, do NOT get between r74 and his Golden Girls.

You have been warned.

by Anonymousreply 75June 28, 2020 8:38 PM

Have you seen the comments by black people on Twitter? They're not having it.

This is performative white woke bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 76June 28, 2020 8:47 PM

They should lead the call to have our beloved girls RESTORED! Golden Girls are for EVERYONE!

by Anonymousreply 77June 28, 2020 9:18 PM

Doesn't Sophia call the the new renter in her old New York apartment a "spic"? That's the only thing on Golden Girls I've ever found offensive, but I wouldn't want it edited. It is what it is.

by Anonymousreply 78June 28, 2020 9:28 PM

This may be, to our current moral panic about race, what the Aziz Ansari incident was to the "Me Too" movement: the point when people realize that it's gotten completely out of hand, they're over-correcting, and that everybody needs to sit down, take a deep breath, and calm their tits a little.

by Anonymousreply 79June 29, 2020 2:41 AM

R78 noooo sorry that never happened. But in a great subversion of political correctness (when it was first rearing it’s ugly head), Sophia had this to say:

Dorothy: what have have you got in there?

Sophia: Mexican jumping beans. Sorry, HisPANic jumping beans ...

by Anonymousreply 80June 29, 2020 2:44 AM

Trying to do something about systemic racism has not "gotten completely out of hand."

Everyone is conflating what private entertainment companies are doing with what governments are doing. You need to stop that. They're not the same thing.

An entertainment company is going to do things that will help them maintain good PR, maintain profits, and promote good will. That's what we're seeing with the BBC, Hulu, HBO Max, etc.

When you say "We don't want these episodes removed, we want police to stop killing people" you sound like a fool, because the people responsible for Golden Girls reruns have NO INFLUENCE on cops or politicians to stop the murder of black people at the hands of the police.

This is not an either-or situation. You can't "trade in" the Golden Girls episode for police reform. You can't say "White people, stop giving us symbols and start giving us results" when the people responsible for symbolic change (reruns on Hulu) have no relationship to the people responsible for real change.

So why waste time blaming a handful of people at Hulu for "not doing the right thing" when they can't, even if they wanted to?

by Anonymousreply 81June 29, 2020 3:01 AM

When I wear my charcoal face mask I laugh a little, but no pictures because I don’t wanna be cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 82June 29, 2020 3:07 AM

[quote] When you say "We don't want these episodes removed, we want police to stop killing people" you sound like a fool, because the people responsible for Golden Girls reruns have NO INFLUENCE on cops or politicians to stop the murder of black people at the hands of the police.

No one thinks they do, you moron. People aren't saying that because they expect Hulu to effect social change; they are saying it because they are tired of hearing people like the hysterical queens in this thread blame BLM, SJWs, cancel culture, etc. for shit like the censorship of a tired old 80s TV show. They're merely pointing out that they don't care what happened in some ancient sitcom and never asked anybody to "cancel" it.

by Anonymousreply 83June 29, 2020 3:14 AM

I had a black friend and she started binge watching Golden Girls on HULU before this episode was removed... and she died.

by Anonymousreply 84June 29, 2020 3:26 AM

Beauty companies need to stop making charcoal masks black so this stuff stops.

by Anonymousreply 85June 29, 2020 3:31 AM

I'm talking about comments like R59, R83, plus all the stuff said on Twitter and Facebook about this lately.

I don't know why people like you insist on claiming "no one ever said that" when people right here in this thread did actually say that. Happens all the time. Your inability to read a whole thread or follow a conversation isn't my problem.

by Anonymousreply 86June 29, 2020 3:49 AM

[quote]When you say "We don't want these episodes removed, we want police to stop killing people" you sound like a fool, because the people responsible for Golden Girls reruns have NO INFLUENCE on cops or politicians to stop the murder of black people at the hands of the police.

If you need clarification of my statement then here it is. Stop with the empty fucking gestures. These entertainment companies, instead of removing television episodes, should put the power of their platforms behind police reform. That's good PR. Hiring more more minority creatives and performers and executives is good PR. Removing a silly episode of a silly little 40 year old sitcom does nothing. It solves nothing. And black people just end up getting blamed for it. Removing ancient problematic TV does not make up for lily white writers rooms and lily white boards of directors.

But this is always what happens. Woke white people go too fucking far, make a bunch of meaningless changes, post a few posts on social media, and then move on to the next cause without sticking around to see any real and meaningful and lasting results.

by Anonymousreply 87June 29, 2020 4:15 AM

I guess Hulu will start removing all the episodes of SNL that had white people playing blacks and Asians.

by Anonymousreply 88June 29, 2020 4:48 AM

[quote] I guess Hulu will start removing all the episodes of SNL that had white people playing blacks and Asians.

The removal of cisgendered men pretending to be women across the history of television will be one of the biggest purges of shows considered degenerate art.

by Anonymousreply 89June 29, 2020 7:54 AM

These entertainment companies, instead of removing television episodes, should put the power of their platforms behind police reform.

Not trying to be snotty, but what would that look like? How would that go? A ‘Very Special Episode‘ of some show? “Murphy Brown gets beat up by a cop”?

There are plenty of documentary, non-fiction shows about human rights violations and race. Nobody wants to have their comedy dragged down by horror like that.

by Anonymousreply 90June 29, 2020 8:23 AM

[quote] I'm talking about comments like [R59], [R83], plus all the stuff said on Twitter and Facebook about this lately. I don't know why people like you insist on claiming "no one ever said that" when people right here in this thread did actually say that.

FFS, I did not say “no one ever said that.” I took issue with your stupid assumption as to WHY they said it. R59 is actually a perfect example of what I was talking about. He’s not asking fucking Hulu to stop police brutality; he’s pointing out that stuff like the GG censorship is about “woke white people losing their damned minds and going over board... but of course we are going to get the blame for all this while the woke white people just skate away untouched.

He does not sound like a fool but you certainly do.

by Anonymousreply 91June 29, 2020 10:54 AM

By the 1960s , I LOVE LUCY had a racist line removed: In the episode where Lucy thinks the new neighbors are enemy agents who want to blow up the capitol (when they are only actors rehearsing a scene) , Fred adn Ricky go inspect the boiler and hear the 'enemy agents'. They burst into the Ricardo's apartment with their faces covered in soot from the boiler, Lucy gives them a withering look and says "Well, if it isn't the Gold Dust Twins!"

The line was put back in the DVD release,

Another racist moment is one of the funniest skits in the entire series where screaming Lucy is chased around the floor of the Tropicana by the "Zulu King",

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92June 29, 2020 11:13 AM

From "Cuban Pals" (1952)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93June 29, 2020 11:21 AM

People have way too much time on their hands right now!

by Anonymousreply 94June 29, 2020 11:38 AM

Isn’t goldust a wrestler?

by Anonymousreply 95June 29, 2020 3:06 PM

Shirley Q. Liquor must be shitting her britches.

by Anonymousreply 96June 29, 2020 3:11 PM

Goldusts originalpersona, not to mention iconic face paint, would make sjw heads explode.

by Anonymousreply 97June 29, 2020 3:12 PM

If only Rose and Blanche had used Queen Helene Mint Julep faces masks this wouldn't be happening..

by Anonymousreply 98June 29, 2020 4:25 PM

[quote]I think all of this other stuff is woke white people losing their damned minds and going over board... but of course we are going to get the blame for all this while the woke white people just skate away untouched.

That's exactly right! Its mainly white liberals, namely female. They are the worst and are so desperate to be seen as 'woke.'

by Anonymousreply 99June 29, 2020 7:01 PM

Actual people of color couldn't possibly care less about this dumb shit. They want police reform and for people to stop killing them, which I believe, is a reasonable request.

by Anonymousreply 100June 29, 2020 7:21 PM

what it supposed to accomplished? is there a clamor for hulu to do it? any threats?

by Anonymousreply 101June 29, 2020 7:27 PM

No, there's no clamor for Hulu to do it; it's a cynical business decision by a company hoping to jump on the woke bandwagon.

by Anonymousreply 102June 29, 2020 9:41 PM

This is such bullshit. Get over it. The show is 40 years old. What about All in the family or The Jefferson’s? Where does this shit stop?

by Anonymousreply 103June 29, 2020 9:52 PM

R103 There is literally no end to this crap. What happened to the counter culture of the 60s and 70s. What about the artists and musicians who pushed the envelope? We live in a world where the feminists who tried to get horror and adult films banned back in the 70s and 80s are now considered not woke for their stance on biological sex. We now live in a world that punishes what would be considered formerly progressive artists for wanting to tell stories about women or African Americans but can't because of their race or gender. We live in a world that cancels people for hurting peoples' feelings even when they shed light on uncomfortable truths? This is not the progressivism of my generation and am disappointed that the people who I looked up to for not giving a fuck have become so pussified in their advanced age that they won't say anything.

by Anonymousreply 104June 29, 2020 10:40 PM

hundreds of thousands of likes on this tweet, the censors went too far when they came for Golden Girls!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105June 29, 2020 11:19 PM

*THE Golden Girls

by Anonymousreply 106June 29, 2020 11:21 PM

Wow, that Gold Dust Twin shit was clearly racist; they look like a minstrel show in some of the pics.

They used those images until the mid-50's? Damn.

by Anonymousreply 107June 30, 2020 1:57 AM

R104 these militants are canceling and controlling the people who pay attention to them. The Rednecks & Republicans would tell them to go fuck themselves.

by Anonymousreply 108June 30, 2020 2:01 AM

Even Roxane Gay thinks this is stupid!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109June 30, 2020 2:02 AM

What’s next? Bernice from Designing Women singing “black man, black man.. where did come from” you

by Anonymousreply 110June 30, 2020 2:10 AM

The episode where a racist Designing Woman puts black face on to be a "Supreme" should be the next one to go.

by Anonymousreply 111June 30, 2020 2:26 AM

R111, yes cuz then the actual message of the episode---that blackface is bad and explains WHY, the historical significance, etc.--- will be ERASED.

Let's actually just BAN all movies/plays/books that talk about slavery at all. I mean, if we erase history, what could happen? We'd never be "doomed to repeat it, would we??"

Why are SJWs so "limited?"

by Anonymousreply 112June 30, 2020 4:32 AM

[quote]The line was put back in the DVD release,

I'll have to go back and look.

by Anonymousreply 113June 30, 2020 7:13 AM

[quote]Actual people of color couldn't possibly care less about this dumb shit. They want police reform and for people to stop killing them, which I believe, is a reasonable request.

Not all POC face the same kind of racism. Asian-Americans need Harvard and other Ivy Leagues to stop limiting how many of them can attend and for white people to stop thinking that Asian men have small penises.

by Anonymousreply 114June 30, 2020 7:18 AM

Are they going to ban every episode that features ‘Florida’?

by Anonymousreply 115June 30, 2020 7:26 AM

I lost a Facebook friend for pointing out that it was a mud mask.

by Anonymousreply 116June 30, 2020 7:34 AM

They can't ban me! I'm a former countess AND top-selling dance artist!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117June 30, 2020 7:41 AM

R116 I'm sorry for your loss!

by Anonymousreply 118June 30, 2020 8:36 AM

R116, they don't sound very mentally stable. Even my super SJW friends think this is insane.

by Anonymousreply 119June 30, 2020 6:54 PM

I thought if any episodes were to go it would be the one where they hire the black woman as a maid, fire her because she's useless, think she's worked voodoo on them, hitre her back so she'll lift the curse

by Anonymousreply 120June 30, 2020 7:16 PM

Ah, but that would make too much sense R120

I'm still waiting for that Supremes episode of Designing Women to get pulled. I'm shocked we haven't heard anything.

by Anonymousreply 121June 30, 2020 8:30 PM

[quote] [R111], yes cuz then the actual message of the episode---that blackface is bad and explains WHY, the historical significance, etc.--- will be ERASED.

Exactly, it seems like people are "cancelling" things without actually viewing and understanding them. I'm glad to report that as of right now "The Rowdy Girls" episode of Designing Women, is still on hulu. It is a great episode that manages to be laugh-out loud funny, while also tackling the serious issues of domestic violence and blackface. Plus, the guest star soap opera queen Kim Zimmer is perfect on it.

It is like when people routinely say the Bewitched episode "Sisters at Heart" is blackface and should be banned. They don't take into consideration that it was written by a class of 26 African American tenth graders and that the whole point of the episode was anti-racism. Yes it might be clunky and nieve but it was a major step forward, that should be honored not forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 122July 3, 2020 3:02 AM

You mean Marg-your-reet, r120?

by Anonymousreply 123July 3, 2020 7:27 AM

R114, just so you know, “people of color” is beginning to be reserved for black people. I recently heard a white woman scoff at the idea that an Indian (from India) woman was a POC. The woman in question is highly successful in her career and a threat to the white woman. “She’s not even a person of color! She’s Indian!”

by Anonymousreply 124July 3, 2020 11:49 AM

I was on the brink of cancelling Hulu because what they have to offer is lame. This was the straw that broke the camel's back. When they sent me a "sorry to see you go, how about a second chance" email, I let them have it and went off on a Julia Sugarbaker rant. Then I popped in my season 3, disc 3 Golden Girls DVD and watched the episode with a glass of wine. It was red, not white. I'm not racist.

by Anonymousreply 125July 3, 2020 1:49 PM

[quote][R114], just so you know, “people of color” is beginning to be reserved for black people. I recently heard a white woman scoff at the idea that an Indian (from India) woman was a POC. The woman in question is highly successful in her career and a threat to the white woman. “She’s not even a person of color! She’s Indian!”

I posted in another thread how the whole "POC" and "Black and brown" thing is such bullshit and is used by people with specific agendas, often hypocritically. Some examples include:

1. Indians sometimes being "brown" or POC, yet as a demographic group in the US, they over index on socio-economic factors (income, education, wealth), and often come from immigrants who were of the upper classes/castes of Indian society to begin with (and their own society is super classist itself).

2. "Hispanics/Latinos" all being included in "black and brown"/POC when most scholars and the US Census Bureau consider Hispanic/Latino descent and Race as 2 separate factors, as they should, since people in various Latin countries can be anywhere form the darkest black/African descent to the blondest/blue-eyed/European descent, and everything in between including Native. The worst is when clearly white/mostly european Latinos who are also wealth and upper class pull the "brown/POC" card, as if they are marginalized or privileged.

3. Pretty much the same for Muslims. Islam is a religion, not a race, and Muslims also come in every race and color from pure Africans to Middle Easterners, to blond/blue eyes people in the Middle East to Asians in Indonesia. Yet "Muslims" are now included in "POC" and "black and brown" as well, e.g. "the Muslim Travel Ban is racist against brown people.".

Of course, now you can cue the morons screaming "Nazi", "Russian", "Boris", Republican" blah blah blah.

by Anonymousreply 126July 3, 2020 5:41 PM

[quote] just so you know, “people of color” is beginning to be reserved for black people

Yeah, the powers that be took care of that shit. They invented a new BIPOC designation. Those POC folks need to go to the back of the line.

by Anonymousreply 127July 3, 2020 6:37 PM

R116 I wanna know what you said to her!

by Anonymousreply 128July 3, 2020 6:40 PM

Dang, some pressed white folks on this thread. (But, yes, in this particular case, Hulu made a stupid decision)

by Anonymousreply 129July 3, 2020 8:06 PM

Fortunately you can still enjoy real black people doing inoffensive comedic real black people things on the YouTube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130July 3, 2020 8:38 PM

Lookin' at you, Star Trek. You're next.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131July 5, 2020 8:10 AM

I think that this, and the many other recent instances of boneheaded corporate attempts to be "woke," are what happens when rich white men try to put themselves into somebody else's shoes for five fucking seconds.

They have NO idea what other people are up against, and what are therefore reasonable means to remove those barriers. Totally clueless.

The result is idiocy on a cosmic scale. Not to mention a comic scale. But hang on, everyone...this, too, shall pass.

by Anonymousreply 132July 5, 2020 11:09 AM

Cancel this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133July 5, 2020 2:53 PM

Honestly don't care, only reason I am responding that I don't care is, I don't get why anyone cares. Keep it cancel it, it is over and done, if there was any attempt at racism with the episode all the people who did it are gone or soon will be. I have no clue whether this was racism, was mocking racism, whether it was mocking those upset with racism or if they were just going for cheap laughs.

I do care about real racism, about people dying because of their skin color, about people being disadvantaged because of their skin color or who they love or who they perceive they are. I just don't care about some TV show that was done over 35 years ago, I care about today.

by Anonymousreply 134July 5, 2020 3:03 PM

Never really been clear how Amos and Andy was any worse than the Honeymooners ,the Flintstones or others of their time. Each was bumbling husbands trying to outsmart their smarter wives and spend the evening at the Lodge Hall. At least The Kingfish never threatened his wife with physical violence.

And a generation later this was the biggest thing on TV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135July 5, 2020 9:27 PM

R135 Most of the complaints about Amos and Andy are because of the radio version and was just carried over to the tv show. If you ever watch it, you would see that in addition to Andy and the Kingfish, it also shows Black judges, lawyers, doctors, etc. all with various levels of competence and ability, just like white people.

by Anonymousreply 136July 5, 2020 9:31 PM

"White Chicks" is not racist because unlike with black face, black people were never in any position of authority against white people. White people used black face to simply mock and jeer at the black people that they felt were inferior to them, and society agreed at the time. No such equal position was ever held by black people towards white people in this country.

WC is stupid, classless and unfunny perhaps, but not racist.

by Anonymousreply 137July 7, 2020 12:49 AM

R137 Only by the "new" definition of racist. The older, and better, definition doesn't require a person to have power to oppress. It is simply viewing your race as superior to others, stereotyping another race, being prejudiced against another race, and/or making fun of another race. Archie Bunker AND George Jefferson were both classified as racists in the 1970/80s. It was still the definition in use when I graduated from high school in 2002.

by Anonymousreply 138July 7, 2020 1:03 AM

R137: LOL. Sure, Jan. Someone whose cultural touchstones are Archie Bunker and George Jefferson graduated high school in 2002. Were you held back 20 years?

by Anonymousreply 139July 7, 2020 5:01 AM

Try this moron R139.

Not ALL racism is "systemic racism". The latter is a SUBSET of the former, but that is probably too complex for you to understand.

by Anonymousreply 140July 7, 2020 3:25 PM

Don't look at me.

by Anonymousreply 141July 7, 2020 3:38 PM

R139 I graduated in 2002. But I grew up watching reruns of classic 70s and 80s shows on my local FOX affiliate, The Jeffersons, All In The Family, Goodtimes, Amen, 227, Gunsmoke, Little House on the Prairie, etc. Cable didn't arrive, where I lived, until several years after I graduated. In college, me and my friends were obsessed with the 1970s Match Game. Just because you are a millennial doesn't mean that you don't know anything about what came before. Lucy is still cultural touchstone even though I Love Lucy was in the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 142July 7, 2020 4:38 PM

[quote] [R137] Only by the "new" definition of racist. The older, and better, definition doesn't require a person to have power to oppress.

I first learned the (not) "new" definition when I was in college in the mid-1980s. You can always use "bigoted" or "prejudiced" if you feel the need to describe someone who hates white people because they're white.

by Anonymousreply 143July 7, 2020 4:42 PM

Learn morons:

Definition of racism 1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2a: a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles b: a political or social system founded on racism

3: racial prejudice or discrimination

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144July 7, 2020 4:51 PM

At first, Amazon kept this episode up. But I noticed tonight that it's "currently unavailable."

by Anonymousreply 145July 27, 2020 11:43 PM

More problematic is the episode where Dorothy claims Stan raped her.

by Anonymousreply 146July 27, 2020 11:45 PM

[quote] Learn morons:

Why would we want to learn morons? And how can you learn morons? Is that some sort of skill?

Irony.

by Anonymousreply 147July 28, 2020 12:47 PM

Has Hulu and Amazon unbanned the episode yet?

by Anonymousreply 148January 1, 2021 3:42 AM

While you are at it cancel the D Day paratroopers for cultural appropriation

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149January 1, 2021 4:43 AM

They'd better BAN the episode where Blanche and Rose dress as nuns.

by Anonymousreply 150January 1, 2021 4:46 AM

[quote] Hulu BANS Golden Girls Episode. The one where Blanche & Rose had mud mask treatments

Thank god someone finally had the GUTS to do it.

by Anonymousreply 151January 1, 2021 5:20 AM

[quote]R4 This has gone too far now.

Yeah... it’s the End Days for sure, now that the world’s lost one 24-minute sitcom episode made for geriatrics.

by Anonymousreply 152January 1, 2021 5:24 AM

FYI the episode is unbanned now on Hulu

by Anonymousreply 153July 21, 2021 1:40 PM

It is BANNED

by Anonymousreply 154January 1, 2022 10:35 PM

I actually saw it on Hulu the other day. Its on again. Thank Jesus. God that ban was one if the dumbest shit I ever heard

by Anonymousreply 155January 1, 2022 10:43 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156January 1, 2022 10:56 PM

It's been unbanned for a while, since at least last summer.

by Anonymousreply 157January 1, 2022 10:57 PM

The episode has been restored on HULU

by Anonymousreply 158September 7, 2022 12:38 AM

I'm glad they restored one of the few episodes WITH black people.

by Anonymousreply 159September 7, 2022 12:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!