Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dan Stevens

What procedures before Eurovision?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150July 29, 2020 6:31 PM

He should have got Diana over K.Stew.

by Anonymousreply 1June 27, 2020 10:50 PM

I like him as an actor--DOWNTON was never the same after he left.

But I really fear he has some body dysmorphia issues, what with his weight gain, then weight loss, then RAPID weight loss. He looks odd to me in that picture but I think it's his lack of weight.

by Anonymousreply 2June 27, 2020 10:51 PM

He's gone Hollywood. Of course he lost weight.

by Anonymousreply 3June 27, 2020 10:53 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 27, 2020 10:53 PM

R2 Yes Dan was the heart and soul of Downton. It became a little silly after he left.

by Anonymousreply 5June 27, 2020 10:55 PM

He has to starve himself to survive in L.A., I believe it's the law there or at the very least a city ordinance.

by Anonymousreply 6June 27, 2020 10:56 PM

I don't know why he left an international smash hit show. That was the best gig an actor could get.

by Anonymousreply 7June 27, 2020 10:58 PM

I'd love to see him nude.

by Anonymousreply 8June 27, 2020 10:58 PM

Chin implant, for sure. In fact, he overdid it. Chin looks too long and pointy now. Also looks like he lost a lot of weight.

by Anonymousreply 9June 27, 2020 10:58 PM

Another skanky Brit - ewwww

by Anonymousreply 10June 27, 2020 11:00 PM

Off topic but I still can't believe Rob James Collier didn't become a bigger star after Downton either in England or the States. His good buddy Alan Leech does well for himself here in the U.S., couldn't he have opened some doors or made some calls for him.

by Anonymousreply 11June 27, 2020 11:00 PM

He's never been lacking in chin. He tends towards a double chin, actually.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 27, 2020 11:01 PM

Starving himself.

Nose job. Chin implant.

Got liposuction on his neck and jawline, which was a good move because his weak jawline was his worst feature.

He got so much praise — and work — from his first round of weight loss and surgery that it seems he's tried to repeat the trick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 27, 2020 11:04 PM

R13, it doesn't matter. Nobody needs another bland white guy. HW has tons of those. He is never going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 14June 27, 2020 11:06 PM

Is that him in OP's link? What's with the Siegfried &Roy hair?

by Anonymousreply 15June 27, 2020 11:48 PM

[quote]Is that him in OP's link? What's with the Siegfried &Roy hair?

Yes. It's from the Eurovision movie currently on Netflix starring Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams.

by Anonymousreply 16June 27, 2020 11:50 PM

He does look better now but he is basically devoid of any charisma and will be very lucky to have a career.

Then again, think of all the other bland actors who've made it.

by Anonymousreply 17June 27, 2020 11:56 PM

He had a lot of heat behind him after "The Guest" and but the films he was in post that were, for the most part, schlock. He lucked out with "Legion" for three seasons and the creator repaid him with a shit part in the terrible "Lucy in the Sky" starring Natalie Portman.

by Anonymousreply 18June 28, 2020 12:05 AM

[quote] Is that him in OP's link? What's with the Siegfried &Roy hair?

Yes, it does look like Dan's about to perform in Las Vegas. With exotic animals or maybe doing "illusions," i.e., magic tricks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 28, 2020 12:10 AM

Anybody who had to work with that bitch Lady Mary has probably suffered serious psychological scarring.

by Anonymousreply 20June 28, 2020 12:10 AM

R17 Dan may be bland but at least he's pretty.

And his blandness is preferable to the awful Jesse Eisenberg impersonating playing Marcel Marceau.

by Anonymousreply 21June 28, 2020 12:20 AM

Stevens is 38. He's famous in America... but not really. (Did people really watch "Legion," R18? I had no idea it lasted that long.)

He's also competing for roles with every other (younger) TV actor from England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Australia, NZ... you get the idea. They are ALL in LA. That supply far outstrips the demand, and the novelty's been over for a few years now. Some American actors are fed up, and a lot of behind-the-scenes people are over it as well.

It's going to be a much leaner and meaner landscape for everyone post CV-19.

by Anonymousreply 22June 28, 2020 12:31 AM

Coke diet?

by Anonymousreply 23June 28, 2020 12:34 AM

It was the Watermelon Diet

by Anonymousreply 24June 28, 2020 12:38 AM

I had no idea he was married and had a couple of kids.

by Anonymousreply 25June 28, 2020 12:53 AM

BTW has anyone seen "Apostle?" Was it any good?

by Anonymousreply 26June 28, 2020 12:54 AM

R22 Are "Some American actors are fed up"?

I'm sure Brit actors are fed up when Spacey lords over the Old Vic, when Gillian Anderson gets the pick of plum UK TV roles. When geriatric Hoffman goes to the UK and exposes his cultural ignorance and when B grade American actors since the 30s and Douglas Fairbanks Junior have been using Britain as their playground.

by Anonymousreply 27June 28, 2020 12:55 AM

[quote]Off topic but I still can't believe Rob James Collier didn't become a bigger star after Downton either in England or the States.

Rob James-Collier destroyed his chances by becoming a fatass after season 1.

Allen Leech joined and immediately porked out too.

What the hell was craft services feeding the male cast?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 28, 2020 1:00 AM

R27, agreed. (And, BTW, I wonder how many British twinks Spacey terrorized....)

by Anonymousreply 29June 28, 2020 1:01 AM

Yeah, Leech and Collier really porked out. The DA costume designers obviously tried to camouflage it as best they could with the layered period clothing.

I read an interview with Collier years ago and he said he had no interest in going to America, he wanted to stay in Britain. So that's why he's never had a career in the US.

by Anonymousreply 30June 28, 2020 1:06 AM

Wether they are fat or not,Id kill to be Lady Mary in that pic ! The two hottest guys on the show . Dan neverdid anything for me,even on Dowton. Good lookingenough ,but blandly so . He looks like shit in Ops pic.

by Anonymousreply 31June 28, 2020 1:07 AM

Allen Leech is an exceptional actor, whose talent has yet to be showcased in a high profile role. He really wasn't given any challenging material on Downton. But the whole show was a little low key and bland as far as I'm concerned. I gave up in the final season and never finished watching the final season.

by Anonymousreply 32June 28, 2020 1:08 AM

R28 I hate women wearing bad shoes that don't fit their feet.

If you can see the cleavage between their toes it means the shoe gives insufficient support to their feet.

Very foolish ! !

by Anonymousreply 33June 28, 2020 1:08 AM

[quote] He had a lot of heat behind him after "The Guest" and but the films he was in post that were, for the most part, schlock.

???

by Anonymousreply 34June 28, 2020 1:08 AM

Looks like he could trans any time now.

by Anonymousreply 35June 28, 2020 1:29 AM

Is he homosexual?

by Anonymousreply 36June 28, 2020 1:52 AM

No, he's a boring straight guy

by Anonymousreply 37June 28, 2020 1:54 AM

[quote]No, he's a boring straight guy

Thanks, I knew there was something off about him

by Anonymousreply 38June 28, 2020 1:57 AM

He's lost weight but he's also obviously had a lot of work done.

by Anonymousreply 39June 28, 2020 2:01 AM

R17

[quote] Then again, think of all the other bland actors who've made it.

You are being overly optimistic about the Dan chap. With the state of the world right now no-one needs another racist, misogynist Brit

by Anonymousreply 40June 28, 2020 2:11 AM

How do you know he is either racist or misogynistic, r40?

by Anonymousreply 41June 28, 2020 2:54 AM

Is the sky blue?

by Anonymousreply 42June 28, 2020 2:55 AM

I see, r42.

You're a xenophobe.

BLOCKED

by Anonymousreply 43June 28, 2020 3:04 AM

I loved him in the Guest. I agree, why was he in that horrible Lucy in the sky. That director did him no favors.

by Anonymousreply 44June 28, 2020 3:20 AM

Allen Leech is hot as fuck, R28. I love his body type.

by Anonymousreply 45June 28, 2020 3:27 AM

Dan Stevens has NO sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 46June 28, 2020 3:29 AM

r46 nails it

by Anonymousreply 47June 28, 2020 3:45 AM

R11

We discussed this extensively on recent Downton Abbey thread.

Unlike most if not all of the main cast of DA Robert James-Collier does not have formal acting training. He took two degrees in business, became a model, then just decided to audition for a part in television series " Down To Earth". There was one other small television role, then a stint on Coronation Street.

Starting out at nearly age 30 in acting isn't bad I suppose, but Mr. James-Collier would be going up against those his own age with far more on their C.V.

You can see early on in DA Robert James-Collier's acting was a bit wooden. He obviously progressed , but others on show like Dan Stevens blew him out of water.

Not helping was that RJC began packing on weight as DA seasons continued, this did nothing for his looks. True Allen Leech put on weight too, but he carried it well, and also lost much of it before series ended.

Can't see why Hollywood would want Robert James-Collier. He doesn't have the looks nor acting chops for a lead or even co-star in film. Television might be another story, but think there are already more than enough British actors in America looking for work atm.

Dan Stevens started out about same time as Robert James-Collier with his first television break; but his C.V. since then and after DA is much different.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 28, 2020 7:47 AM

R25

Mr. and Mrs. Dan Stevens along with children were living in Brooklyn Heights back in 2013, don't know if they are still there or not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 28, 2020 7:53 AM

Before Brooklyn IIRC the Stevens family were somewhere in Manhattan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 28, 2020 7:57 AM

British actors in USA.....

If you go over to Broadway chat forums or similar sites, yes you'll read much about American actors complaining about British coming over here.

There is endless debate, words written, etc.... At some point SAG/AFTRA gets involved (again IIRC), especially when a British theater production wants to come to Broadway. Producers naturally want to bring original cast especially stars; Broadway may say not so fast.....

Basically large argument in favor of British actors is they largely are all classically trained with decent to extensive theater background, while many American actors are (or were) not. Say "were" because for a decade or so now many American actors are classically trained and have degrees.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 28, 2020 8:06 AM

More:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 28, 2020 8:10 AM

The idea that Dan Stevens' career isn't anything other than a total success is ridiculous.

He's not even 40 and has worked consistently since his early 20s.

3 years ago he played a titular role in the second highest grossing film of the year.

Who's career should he be emulating? Eddie Redmayne? Other actors the same age as Chris Hemsworth, Henry Cavill, Aiden Turner, Domhall Gleeson, Adam Driver, Andrew Garfield, Jesse Eisenburg, Aaron Tveit and Julian Morris.

by Anonymousreply 53June 28, 2020 8:11 AM

Mmmm I would love to pleasure both Dan and Julian Morris at the same time! Julian showed us everything in "Donkey Punch" but Dan has yet to do the same. Come on, do it for your art!

by Anonymousreply 54June 28, 2020 8:35 AM

R51 TL; dr

American film people have been complaining about a so-called British Invasion since 1962 with Albert Finney, Peter O'Toole, The Beatles etc.

by Anonymousreply 55June 28, 2020 8:54 AM

His career is very similar to Hayley Atwell, who got her big break in The Line Of Beauty alongside Stevens.

A mix of supporting roles in big budget films, smaller indie roles and BBC literary adaptations.

by Anonymousreply 56June 28, 2020 9:07 AM

The Line Of Beauty was better as a book than the TV mini-series. Did anyone else enjoy this?

Has anyone read other books by Alan Hollinghurst? I would love an adaptation of "The Swimming Pool Library" but who would be beautiful enough to play the main character?

by Anonymousreply 57June 28, 2020 9:19 AM

He’s doing just fine. He’s been part of a huge Disney hit, and is generally regarded as a talented actor. He’s definitely been earmarked as an eventual Oscar contender.

I would compare him to a Ryan Gosling. But if he wants it, some Marvel movie will snatch him up and validate his career in the eyes of the OP

by Anonymousreply 58June 28, 2020 9:30 AM

R28, I think both guys carried their weight well. My mum got me hooked on 'Downton' a couple of years in, and so I started watching the then-current eps and then backtracked. Both guys looked fine to me the whole time. I always fantasized about Collier fucking me in one of the servant stairwells, with stale smoke breath. And Allen Leech...let's just say there was more cushion for the pushin'...he should've been expected to gain weight after marrying into the family, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 59June 28, 2020 9:43 AM

R57 I really wanted to like 'The Line Of Beauty' because I say that Hollinghurst is one of the 3 top gay writers in the world now.

Dan was OK but the rest of the cast were flabby and lame (and the BBC luvvies made a weak joke by casting a Trotskyite actress doing a poor portrayal of Margaret Thatcher)

'The Line Of Beauty' is the only Alan Hollinghurst we're likely to see on film because his other stories are becoming increasingly obsessed with plots split over different generations.

by Anonymousreply 60June 28, 2020 9:43 AM

R60 did you like The Swimming Pool Library?

by Anonymousreply 61June 28, 2020 9:48 AM

R53

[quote] Who's career should he be emulating? Eddie Redmayne?

You mean living in the closet?

by Anonymousreply 62June 28, 2020 9:59 AM

R61 'The Swimming Pool Library is definitely his most approachable, sexy and entertaining.

Hollinghurst is brilliant at handling the English language but the plotting on his last one was, I thought, elusively fragmentary.

by Anonymousreply 63June 28, 2020 9:59 AM

With facial hair, like in Legion, he looks exactly like a young, Boogie Nights cokehead-era Paul Thomas Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 64June 28, 2020 1:42 PM

Judging by that one episode of Legion, Stevens is extremely rimmable.

by Anonymousreply 65June 28, 2020 1:45 PM

There's a rimming episode of "Legion"?!

by Anonymousreply 66June 28, 2020 1:47 PM

Bare ass shot

by Anonymousreply 67June 28, 2020 1:48 PM

There was a scene in DA in which Stevens was called upon to punch someone, and it came off ridiculously - he has all the masculinity of Bambi lost in the forest.

by Anonymousreply 68June 28, 2020 5:17 PM

The new chin wrecked the proportion so his face. He's no longer as handsome.

I kind of feel a little bit sorry for him because he was genuinely handsome and especially smart (he got a first in English literature at Oxford), but he let all the Internet buzz about his weight gain and weak chin get to him and so he dramatically re-shaped his body and then even got plastic surgery, and the effects did not have a payoff--his career is not what he wanted it to be.

There have been so many broken hearts among the talented British actors who made it in the UK and who then wanted to be superstars in the US but just didn't make that final cut. James Purefoy, Kate Beckinsale, Greg Wise, Rosamund Pike, Michelle Dockery, Hugh Dancy... more of them who couldn't make that final cut then the very few who did make it big here. The smartest among the men (like Richard Armitage) did the Tolkien movies... at least those were enormously lucrative.

by Anonymousreply 69June 28, 2020 5:32 PM

Dan should show his big cock

by Anonymousreply 70June 28, 2020 5:38 PM

What big cock?

by Anonymousreply 71June 28, 2020 5:49 PM

The big one swinging between his legs

by Anonymousreply 72June 28, 2020 6:15 PM

He doesn't have a big dick. DLers want to believe all semi-goodlooking men are hung while the busted ones are all tinymeats. Sorry, but in the real world it doesn't work that way

by Anonymousreply 73June 28, 2020 6:28 PM

He wants to look more like me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74June 28, 2020 7:38 PM

[quote]There have been so many broken hearts among the talented British actors who made it in the UK and who then wanted to be superstars in the US but just didn't make that final cut. James Purefoy, Kate Beckinsale, Greg Wise, Rosamund Pike, Michelle Dockery, Hugh Dancy... more of them who couldn't make that final cut then the very few who did make it big here. The smartest among the men (like Richard Armitage) did the Tolkien movies... at least those were enormously lucrative.

Do you honestly think Rosamund Pike and Michelle Dockery should be considered failures? Again, who's careers should they be emulating?

Kate Beckinsale might have aimed for the same roles as Winslet and Blanchett and she's better than the parts she gets, but is she really a failure?

James Purefoy is 56 and Greg Wise is 54 and are both acting consistently.

It's not like they're in Hollyoaks like poor Lysette Anthony (twice raped by Weinstein) or Jeremy Sheffield, third out on Dancing On Ice.

by Anonymousreply 75June 28, 2020 8:07 PM

Rosamund Pike had one hit and then all flops. She's not the ultimate failure but I wouldn't consider her a huge success, either

Michelle Dockery is mostly in flops. She works, but not usually in anything anyone cares about

by Anonymousreply 76June 28, 2020 8:14 PM

Rosamund Pike won an Emmy last year and was nominated for a Golden Globe the year before.

Michelle Dockery has received 4 Emmy nominations, the last of which was 2 years ago, and has just appeared in a very well reviewed series with Chris Evans. Her last two movies were huge box office successes. Considering she took time out from her career to care for her dying partner, her career is going just fine.

by Anonymousreply 77June 28, 2020 8:24 PM

Wasn't Dockery in that flop The Gentleman? How was that a hit? I doubt anyone is watching the show with Chris Evans, just like no one watched Good Behavior

by Anonymousreply 78June 28, 2020 8:29 PM

Michelle Dockery was also in the severely underrated 'Good Behaviour' on TNT. I watched the first ep on a plane and was immediately hooked. They had a great set-up for a third season, but I suppose the ratings weren't what they'd hoped for. It was a great show...she and Juan Diego Botto had such amazing chemistry. Ann Dowd and Terry Kinney co-starred.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79June 28, 2020 8:30 PM

What the fuck did Pike win an Emmy for?

by Anonymousreply 80June 28, 2020 8:30 PM

[quote]What the fuck did Pike win an Emmy for?

State Of The Union - written by Nick Hornby, directed by Stephen Frears

by Anonymousreply 81June 28, 2020 8:34 PM

[quote] Michelle Dockery was also in the severely underrated 'Good Behaviour' on TNT

I am also a fan of GOOD BEHAVIOUR. She was fantastic in that role.

by Anonymousreply 82June 28, 2020 9:23 PM

[quote]There is endless debate, words written, etc.... At some point SAG/AFTRA gets involved (again IIRC), especially when a British theater production wants to come to Broadway. Producers naturally want to bring original cast especially stars; Broadway may say not so fast.....

SAG/AFTRA doesn't have anything to do with Broadway. You're thinking of Actors Equity.

by Anonymousreply 83June 28, 2020 9:51 PM

I preferred him chunky. And I usually like thin men.

by Anonymousreply 84June 28, 2020 9:52 PM

Some men look horrible when they start losing too much weight. Desmond Harrington is one name that comes to mind.

by Anonymousreply 85June 28, 2020 9:54 PM

Can we get any confirmation on big dick Dan?

by Anonymousreply 86June 28, 2020 9:54 PM

R83

Thank you for correction, knew it was one of those unions......

by Anonymousreply 87June 28, 2020 10:00 PM

He had some great work done. The neck lipo and chin implant really improved his appearance.

by Anonymousreply 88June 28, 2020 10:06 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89June 28, 2020 10:07 PM

That article is from 1999

by Anonymousreply 90June 28, 2020 10:09 PM

I know Rose!

Asked in post if anything had changed, but DL redacted entire thing......

by Anonymousreply 91June 28, 2020 10:10 PM

I loved him in Legion and I was pissed when they cancelled it. At least they let them do a 3rd season to wrap up the plot.

by Anonymousreply 92June 28, 2020 10:14 PM

😜 Oh, please .........

You'd bang any one of them if they gave you a wink or a nod.🏅

by Anonymousreply 93June 28, 2020 10:14 PM

R93

It's funny because it's true.

by Anonymousreply 94June 28, 2020 10:30 PM

He was positively porcine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95June 29, 2020 3:39 AM

I thought he looked better in Downton. He looked like a lead actor then, he is more character actor in looks now.

by Anonymousreply 96June 29, 2020 3:48 AM

he looks way better now. he was the epitome of awg.

by Anonymousreply 97June 29, 2020 3:50 AM

He can tear up a bathroom something fierce, very messy BMs.

by Anonymousreply 98June 29, 2020 3:52 AM

stinky

by Anonymousreply 99June 29, 2020 3:54 AM

r97, he's still the epitome of awg

by Anonymousreply 100June 29, 2020 3:57 AM

No one has mentioned Hugh Bonneville was or is hardly svelte. But he wears it well, far better than Dan Stevens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101June 29, 2020 9:43 AM

I thought Rosamund Pike did a lot of work on the stage, so was looking in to that, then I find out she is the daughter of opera singers! I hear a musical in her future

by Anonymousreply 102June 29, 2020 9:45 AM

Dan would have been terrific as Simon Doyle in the upcoming, unnecessary remake of "Death On The Nile" instead of..

by Anonymousreply 103June 29, 2020 4:42 PM

The entire remake of Death On The Nile would have been improved if only Downton alumni had been cast

by Anonymousreply 104June 29, 2020 4:58 PM

LOVE that suit Hugh is wearing ! Ialso think hes quite fuckable .

by Anonymousreply 105June 29, 2020 10:51 PM

R101 = R105, surely.

I think the guy is satisfactory at reading lines. But he's too porky and ordinary to play the HANDSOME and charismatic Mountbatten in this amateurly-directed movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106June 30, 2020 5:40 AM

R57/R60 - I love Hollinghurst. Agree that Line of Beauty was better as a book, but thought Stevens and Hayley Atwell were both fine in the TV adaptation. Also, R8, I thought Stevens had nude scenes in Line of Beauty, but this was the closest I could fine on YouTube

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107June 30, 2020 6:11 AM

Downton On The Nile

Hugh Bonneville as Robert Crawley as Peter Ustinov as Hercule Poirot

Michelle Dockery as Lady Mary Crawford Jane Birkin as Louise Bourget

Lily James as Lady Rose MacClare as Lois Chiles as Linnet Ridgeway Doyle

Maggie Smith as Violet Carson as Bette Davis as Marie Van Schuyler

Sophie McShera as Daisy Mason as Mia Farrow as Jacqueline de Bellefort

Allen Leech as Tom Branson as Jon Finch as James Ferguson

Jessica Brown Findlay as Sybil Crawley as Olivia Hussey as Rosalie Otterbourne

Iain Glen as Sir Richard Carlisle as George Kennedy as Andrew Pennington

Penelope Wilton as Isobel Crawley as Angela Lansbury as Salome Otterbourne

Dan Stevens as Matthew Crawley as Simon MacCorkindale as Simon Doyle

Jim Carter as Charles Carson as David Niven as Colonel Race

Elizabeth McGovern as Cora Crawley as Maggie Smith as Miss Bowers

Kevin Doyle as Joseph Molesley as Jack Warden as Dr. Bessner

by Anonymousreply 108June 30, 2020 7:20 AM

R106

Wrong! Don't know R105 from Adam, but thank you for playing...

by Anonymousreply 109June 30, 2020 7:32 AM

R107 I've half-forgotten the TV series but I half remember the heroes in both 'Line of Beauty' and 'Swimming-Pool-Library' were both obsessed with large-bodied, large-penissed Africans.

by Anonymousreply 110June 30, 2020 7:58 AM

[quote] I've half-forgotten the TV series but I half remember the heroes in both 'Line of Beauty' and 'Swimming-Pool-Library' were both obsessed with large-bodied, large-penissed Africans.

The rough sex scene with the cooking oil in Swimming Pool Library was quite something.

by Anonymousreply 111June 30, 2020 8:15 AM

R111 I remember that! With Abdul in the kitchen! I don't know any svtor who could play Will, given how beautiful he's meant to be.

by Anonymousreply 112June 30, 2020 8:17 AM

R108 bloody fantastic! My only reservation is I don't see the Daisy actress being able to pull off the main role

by Anonymousreply 113June 30, 2020 8:19 AM

R111. That was horny.

Hollinghurst uses words the way a good prostitute uses his tongue.

by Anonymousreply 114June 30, 2020 8:22 AM

Dan must have had to beat off a lot of American men for his part in The Guest

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115June 30, 2020 9:32 AM

Has Dan ever shown more than ass?

by Anonymousreply 116June 30, 2020 5:59 PM

I'm thinking he's probably hung nicely.

by Anonymousreply 117June 30, 2020 9:46 PM

I love that he sports two earrings to show everyone he's no longer Matthew Crawley. He's edgy now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 1, 2020 6:50 PM

Now he looks like a meth-addicted hillbilly

by Anonymousreply 119July 1, 2020 11:14 PM

The first thing I saw him in was The Line of Beauty and I liked him a lot. I also read an article by Alan Hollinghurst published several years after the show where he seemed ambivalent about the adaptation overall, but had a lot of praise for Dan's performance. He was very lucky though to get the lead role in a BBC drama like that so early in his career. I remember after he left Downton Abbey he gave an interview complaining about not knowing where the story was going when doing a show like Downton and not being able to read all the scripts in advance. It felt like he didn't appreciate how lucky he had begin to be able to bypass all the soaps and long running dramas on British TV that most actors have to go through, where not knowing where the story is going comes with the territory, before they get the chance to play, or even just to audition for, major roles in more interesting projects,.

by Anonymousreply 120July 8, 2020 9:57 PM

Gay author (over-)praises twinky actor from adaptation of his work? Surprise, surprise.

by Anonymousreply 121July 8, 2020 10:01 PM

r118

He looks like Joey Graceffa's aging brother.

by Anonymousreply 122July 8, 2020 10:02 PM

I read that he did full frontal on stage in "The Romans In Britain" at age 23. Yum

by Anonymousreply 123July 8, 2020 10:24 PM

R118 Not sure where having your ears pierced is edgy? A lot of British men have both ears pierced, half of them are probably Grandfathers by now.

David Beckham will be soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 124July 8, 2020 10:28 PM

At R118 he reminds me of actor Cody Linley from Hannah Montana.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125July 9, 2020 2:39 AM

THE LINE OF BEAUTY adaptation for TV was pretty terrible. Young and pretty Dan notwithstanding.

I admired (but didn't love) the Hollinghurst novel and had been looking forward to the dramatization. Unfortunately, the screenwriter was Andrew Davies who was 1) straight and married and 2) already 70 at the time. Has any TV/film writer been more overrated? Has any been less qualified to write about the lives and loves of young gay men?

TLOB is a really good case for LGBT people having (and enforcing) the right to tell our own stories.

by Anonymousreply 126July 9, 2020 4:22 PM

If you liked the novel, I'm surprised you were looking forward to the dramatization.

by Anonymousreply 127July 9, 2020 4:26 PM

[quote] I don't know why he left an international smash hit show.

Same reason Lady Sybil did.....Hollywood.

But Dan went about it in a smarter way. Moved to Brooklyn & started acting onstage at BAM. That brought in a large NY audience, including other actors & film directors & gave him indy cred. Hasn’t been out of work since.

by Anonymousreply 128July 9, 2020 4:35 PM

Where is this.... Brooklyn?

by Anonymousreply 129July 9, 2020 4:38 PM

I would love an adaption of Hollinghurst's The Swimming Pool Library, which isn't nearly as long or heavy as The Line of Beauty.

Dan was good in the 3 part adaptation but a lot of the other cast were wrong for their roles and it didn't flow as well as in the books.

by Anonymousreply 130July 9, 2020 5:16 PM

Casted.

by Anonymousreply 131July 9, 2020 6:15 PM

R128

That question question keeps popping up again and again; with always pretty much same answer.

British actors by and large tend to move about between stage and screen (small and large), thus aren't always interested in remaining with even a hit television series until it dies a natural death. Yes, you have actors on shows like Cornination Street, or EastEnders that began and or ended their days there; but those are soap operas, not dramas for most part.

Many actors on DA signed on the way British talent does for a television project, a contract for set number of shows. This among other things gives British actors some sort of certainty to make plans elsewhere. It also fits in well with how television dramas are done in UK; a whole season usually shot, done, dusted and in the can so to speak at a go. If a series doesn't do well with first series it likely won't be picked up for a second.....

Keeping Up Appearances ended because Patricia Routledge said "enough" and wanted to do other work, this while series still enjoyed high ratings. Richard Coyle who played Jeff Murdock in highly rated series "Coupling" left after season 3 for pretty much same reasons.

Someone like Jack Davenport is probably sort of career Dan Stevens is after; stage (UK and USA), television (UK and USA), film (ditto). Throw in voice work and producing as well..

Why America? In a word; "money".

British television and film don't nearly pay well as what actors get in USA, especially if a television series makes syndication.

Finally it should be noted it is only rather recently what British television drama series have been extended to their "hit" status. Usually once a book or whatever material show was based upon ended, so did the program. But rise of international markets (especially USA) has prompted changes. Call The Midwife, Downton Abbey, Inspector Morse/Endeavor and others continued beyond original book largely due to certain people seeing there was money to be made.

As noted above extending a series often causes problems when one or more cast members leave for various reasons. Call the Midwife like DA had changes due to actors leaving for other work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132July 10, 2020 12:36 AM

R130 Amazon tells me that the 'Swimming-Pool Library' paperback is 352 pages while the 'Line of Beauty' paperback is 448 pages.

So I guess the latter book is longer but what do you mean by 'heavy'? Boring? Forceful, intense, turbulent? Too many scenes or characters?

by Anonymousreply 133July 10, 2020 1:48 AM

R133 I mean the narrative of TSPL is pretty much focused on Will alone and is fairly linear. There aren't as many themes and motifs. It doesn't touch on death and the AIDS crisis as it ends in summer 1983 (the same time TLOB picks up).

For me, TLOB was more complex, there are more historical references and the tone was a fair bit darker. It also had a more pessimistic tone throughout and an uncertain ending.

Please tell me what you think? I would say Hollinghurst is a terrific writer (when he doesn't get too bogged down by his own artistry..!)

by Anonymousreply 134July 10, 2020 8:49 AM

He took a HUGE risking leaving Downton and fortunately for him, it paid off.

by Anonymousreply 135July 27, 2020 4:48 AM

[quote] the screenwriter was Andrew Davies who was 1) "straight" and married

FIFY

by Anonymousreply 136July 27, 2020 4:52 AM

[quote]Many actors on DA signed on the way British talent does for a television project, a contract for set number of shows.

Siobhan Finneran made it clear from the start she would only do 3 seasons of DA and then she was out. Then Julian Fellowes got pissed because her character was very popular but she didn't want to continue after her agreed upon 3. When she left, the show never regained its mojo.

by Anonymousreply 137July 27, 2020 4:58 AM

Finneran was smart to leave, she went right into Happy Valley which was fucking brilliant and gave a tour de force performance.

by Anonymousreply 138July 27, 2020 5:00 AM

It lost its "mojo" when it lost Dan!

by Anonymousreply 139July 27, 2020 5:00 AM

I don't get Dan's appeal. So bland. Even his name is dull.

by Anonymousreply 140July 27, 2020 5:05 AM

[quote]Finneran was smart to leave, she went right into Happy Valley which was fucking brilliant and gave a tour de force performance.

She didn't need to worry, she had already been brilliant in Benidorm. She had the actor's dream of versatility in roles. A few seasons as the loud-mouthed, broadly comic wife on Benidorm and then the quietly scheming, tight-lipped servant drama of Downton Abbey. And for the years 2011 and 2012, those shows overlapped, so she could really show her versatility.

by Anonymousreply 141July 27, 2020 5:08 AM

Pretty gorgeous, but can't move for shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142July 27, 2020 5:17 AM

Wish Dan would pork out again, I think he'd make a hot fat guy

by Anonymousreply 143July 27, 2020 5:43 AM

He follows Tom Daley on Instagram and paints his nails. He’s totally gay.

by Anonymousreply 144July 27, 2020 5:55 AM

He looks hot in The Rental.

by Anonymousreply 145July 27, 2020 6:17 AM

He's better as a blonde with a bit of weight.

by Anonymousreply 146July 27, 2020 6:55 AM

[R146] Seriously agree. I wish someone would make Dan eat for a while and he'd get nice and thicc again.

by Anonymousreply 147July 29, 2020 9:48 AM

He looks great.....dear they all ! get a nip here and tuck there,,,,,,good on him....nice job.

by Anonymousreply 148July 29, 2020 11:00 AM

One of the best examples of neck lipo and a chin implant I've ever seen. His appearance was dramatically improved.

by Anonymousreply 149July 29, 2020 1:14 PM

I'd rim him til his eyes rolled back in his head!

by Anonymousreply 150July 29, 2020 6:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!