Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Guy Who Reverse-Engineered TikTok Reveals The Scary Things He Learned, Advises People To Stay Away From It

Facebook got itself into a sensitive data scandal when it did shady business with Cambridge Analytica, Instagram confirmed a security issue exposing user accounts and phone numbers, but these apps are basically online security havens compared to TikTok, according to one senior software engineer with about 15 years of professional experience

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 1, 2020 5:03 PM

If you're over the age of 22, staying away from it shouldn't be a problem...

by Anonymousreply 1June 27, 2020 8:56 PM

Scary stuff.

by Anonymousreply 2June 27, 2020 8:56 PM

If you use TikTok and you are out of your teens already, you have bigger issues than privacy concerns.

by Anonymousreply 3June 27, 2020 8:59 PM

[quote] If you use TikTok and you are out of your teens already, you have bigger issues than privacy concerns.

Yes, it means you're .

by Anonymousreply 4June 27, 2020 9:00 PM

They are tracking American teens and attempted to inflict them politically

by Anonymousreply 5June 27, 2020 9:01 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 27, 2020 9:02 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 27, 2020 9:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 27, 2020 9:03 PM

They will either read the link or not.

Just stop it.

by Anonymousreply 9June 27, 2020 9:07 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 27, 2020 9:10 PM

Such secrecy is understandable. TikTok’s earnings have risen proportionately with its increase in popularity and its owner ByteDance made a net profit of $3 billion last year, according to a report from Bloomberg. Bangorlol thinks that we as a society have normalized giving away our personal information and have no expectations of privacy and security anymore, so giving TikTok our data together with our money is nothing surprising. “The general consensus among most ‘normal’ people is that they can’t/won’t be targeted, so it’s fine. Or that they have nothing to hide, so ‘why should I even care?’ I think the apathy is sourced from people just not understanding the security implications (at all levels) of handing over our data to a foreign government that doesn’t discriminate against who they target, and also doesn’t really have the best track record when it comes to human rights,” he said.

by Anonymousreply 11June 27, 2020 9:11 PM

having a meltdown at r9.

by Anonymousreply 12June 27, 2020 9:12 PM

I watch it—yes, I’m 12. Seriously, it does pass the time away, but I did notice it was smart enough to know I hate Dump, and to only show me anti Dump TikTocs, without my liking any videos. So I keep my perusing on an iPad mini that is strictly for all my sock puppet social media sites.

by Anonymousreply 13June 27, 2020 9:14 PM
by Anonymousreply 14June 27, 2020 9:16 PM

I have an account but I only use it to watch videos. I myself have never posted a video and I never will. I'm far too old and ugly to be popular on there anyway.

by Anonymousreply 15June 27, 2020 9:20 PM

Idiot at r15

by Anonymousreply 16June 27, 2020 9:23 PM

These social media companies are all evil. But this one takes the cake.

by Anonymousreply 17June 27, 2020 9:28 PM

Remember this. Just your behavior is valuable in behavior systems like this. No birthday or SSN# needed. Plus, even if you have never logged into Facebook, they have a profile on YOU, most likely.

by Anonymousreply 18June 27, 2020 9:46 PM

It belongs to the PLA. Keep away.

by Anonymousreply 19June 27, 2020 9:52 PM

[quote]Even if you have never logged into Facebook, they have a profile on YOU, most likely.

Yes, for years there have been reports of "shadow accounts" gleaned from users' contacts lists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 27, 2020 9:55 PM
by Anonymousreply 21June 27, 2020 10:15 PM

I searched Facebook and found my shadow account.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 27, 2020 10:48 PM
by Anonymousreply 23June 29, 2020 5:49 AM

India has banned this spy app.

Why won’t the US?

by Anonymousreply 24June 29, 2020 5:14 PM

Exactly, R24. That app does nothing good or safe for us, and if India can ban it, then so can we!

by Anonymousreply 25June 29, 2020 5:24 PM

R.I.P.

by Anonymousreply 26August 1, 2020 5:50 AM

Don't worry, after we buy it, we will fuck it up.

by Anonymousreply 27August 1, 2020 6:39 AM

The good thing about TicTok is that it's a thorn in Trump's side.

by Anonymousreply 28August 1, 2020 7:06 AM

Do you have to have the app on your phone for it to do damage?

Or can just clicking on a tik tok link to watch a video wreck you as well?

by Anonymousreply 29August 1, 2020 7:20 AM

I admit I downloaded TikTok just because all the kids have it but, like Snapchat, I really don't need it or use it. So what if the Chinese have my info? It's of no use to them. I'm no spy and don't work for the government. I bet they're on top of all the high school gossip in Beijing.

by Anonymousreply 30August 1, 2020 9:15 AM

[quote]They are tracking American teens and attempted to inflict them politically

Weird that so many people who can't speak English are on Datalounge being Very Concerned about TikTok.

by Anonymousreply 31August 1, 2020 10:24 AM
by Anonymousreply 32August 1, 2020 4:58 PM

“So what if the Chinese have my info“

Americans are doomed.

by Anonymousreply 33August 1, 2020 5:03 PM

Wait till people find out what Google, Android, Apple, Facebook, Amazon, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Snapchat track.

by Anonymousreply 34August 1, 2020 5:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!