Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Guy Who Reverse-Engineered TikTok Reveals The Scary Things He Learned, Advises People To Stay Away From It

Facebook got itself into a sensitive data scandal when it did shady business with Cambridge Analytica, Instagram confirmed a security issue exposing user accounts and phone numbers, but these apps are basically online security havens compared to TikTok, according to one senior software engineer with about 15 years of professional experience

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25Last Monday at 9:24 AM

If you're over the age of 22, staying away from it shouldn't be a problem...

by Anonymousreply 1Last Saturday at 12:56 PM

Scary stuff.

by Anonymousreply 2Last Saturday at 12:56 PM

If you use TikTok and you are out of your teens already, you have bigger issues than privacy concerns.

by Anonymousreply 3Last Saturday at 12:59 PM

[quote] If you use TikTok and you are out of your teens already, you have bigger issues than privacy concerns.

Yes, it means you're Edwin.

by Anonymousreply 4Last Saturday at 1:00 PM

They are tracking American teens and attempted to inflict them politically

by Anonymousreply 5Last Saturday at 1:01 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6Last Saturday at 1:02 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7Last Saturday at 1:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8Last Saturday at 1:03 PM

They will either read the link or not.

Just stop it.

by Anonymousreply 9Last Saturday at 1:07 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10Last Saturday at 1:10 PM

Such secrecy is understandable. TikTok’s earnings have risen proportionately with its increase in popularity and its owner ByteDance made a net profit of $3 billion last year, according to a report from Bloomberg. Bangorlol thinks that we as a society have normalized giving away our personal information and have no expectations of privacy and security anymore, so giving TikTok our data together with our money is nothing surprising. “The general consensus among most ‘normal’ people is that they can’t/won’t be targeted, so it’s fine. Or that they have nothing to hide, so ‘why should I even care?’ I think the apathy is sourced from people just not understanding the security implications (at all levels) of handing over our data to a foreign government that doesn’t discriminate against who they target, and also doesn’t really have the best track record when it comes to human rights,” he said.

by Anonymousreply 11Last Saturday at 1:11 PM

Edwin having a meltdown at r9.

by Anonymousreply 12Last Saturday at 1:12 PM

I watch it—yes, I’m 12. Seriously, it does pass the time away, but I did notice it was smart enough to know I hate Dump, and to only show me anti Dump TikTocs, without my liking any videos. So I keep my perusing on an iPad mini that is strictly for all my sock puppet social media sites.

by Anonymousreply 13Last Saturday at 1:14 PM
by Anonymousreply 14Last Saturday at 1:16 PM

I have an account but I only use it to watch videos. I myself have never posted a video and I never will. I'm far too old and ugly to be popular on there anyway.

by Anonymousreply 15Last Saturday at 1:20 PM

Idiot at r15

by Anonymousreply 16Last Saturday at 1:23 PM

These social media companies are all evil. But this one takes the cake.

by Anonymousreply 17Last Saturday at 1:28 PM

Remember this. Just your behavior is valuable in behavior systems like this. No birthday or SSN# needed. Plus, even if you have never logged into Facebook, they have a profile on YOU, most likely.

by Anonymousreply 18Last Saturday at 1:46 PM

It belongs to the PLA. Keep away.

by Anonymousreply 19Last Saturday at 1:52 PM

[quote]Even if you have never logged into Facebook, they have a profile on YOU, most likely.

Yes, for years there have been reports of "shadow accounts" gleaned from users' contacts lists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20Last Saturday at 1:55 PM
by Anonymousreply 21Last Saturday at 2:15 PM

I searched Facebook and found my shadow account.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22Last Saturday at 2:48 PM
by Anonymousreply 23Last Sunday at 9:49 PM

India has banned this spy app.

Why won’t the US?

by Anonymousreply 24Last Monday at 9:14 AM

Exactly, R24. That app does nothing good or safe for us, and if India can ban it, then so can we!

by Anonymousreply 25Last Monday at 9:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!