Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why did Jackie Kennedy keep the Onassis name?

She was only married to that little Greek troll for a few years.

She even has it on her gravetsone next to JFK's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 28, 2020 11:26 PM

She never liked the Kennedys

by Anonymousreply 1June 27, 2020 5:30 PM

She never divorced Onassis; she became his widow. She wasn't going to give up the prestige of the Kennedy name. If she was going to keep the first late husband's name, it would look hypocritical to dump the most recent late husband's name.

by Anonymousreply 2June 27, 2020 5:31 PM

I admire her (or the children) for keeping the Onassis name on the stone. She never divorced him; she did not remain a Kennedy nor did she go back to being a Bouvier.

She got quite a lot out of taking his name, so she would have looked like a hypocrite if she had discarded it.

by Anonymousreply 3June 27, 2020 5:40 PM

Onassis hated her by the end of his life and was planning to divorce her. He even allegedly called the paparazzi on her when she was sunbathing nude.

by Anonymousreply 4June 27, 2020 5:42 PM

I think it's weird how the names are laid out on the headstone. It's so unbalanced having three names on the first row and just one name on the second row. I guess the top row represents Kennedy and the second row represents the second era, but it looks like an afterthought. (Or simply, the person who approved it didn't have the basic design since to notice it looks visually unbalanced, but didn't want to shrink the font to make it all fit on one row.)

If I were in charge, I'd put "Jackqueline Bouvier" on the top row, and then I'd place "Kennedy Onassis" on the second row. She deserved a row to herself independent of references to her shitty husbands.

by Anonymousreply 5June 27, 2020 5:45 PM

She kept the Onassis because she wanted her own identity - separate from the Kennedys

by Anonymousreply 6June 27, 2020 5:46 PM

I thought I read in Kitty Kelley’s book that her settlement with Christina required her to keep the last name . It kept the Onassis name in the media ,and it was a fuck you to Jackie, since she wanted nothing to do with that life anymore.

by Anonymousreply 7June 27, 2020 5:47 PM

The other thing to remember is that she was a practicing Catholic, so the religious practices about using husbands' names mattered to her.

by Anonymousreply 8June 27, 2020 5:50 PM

R7 that is not true - In fact Christina wanted Jackie as far away from the Onassis as possible.

Christina gave Jackie $27 million to go away - later saying the money was peanuts. Christina would've paid twice as much as she wanted Jackie out of the picture.

by Anonymousreply 9June 27, 2020 5:50 PM

[quote] If I were in charge, I'd put "Jackqueline Bouvier" on the top row,

Good thing you're not in charge then, since you misspelled her first name.

by Anonymousreply 10June 27, 2020 5:51 PM

Why was Christina O such a bitch?

She never did anything in her life but be rich and a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 11June 27, 2020 5:51 PM

R5, it is in keeping with the style of JFK's headstone, tying it to the Kennedy name, yet acknowledging her Onassis married name.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 27, 2020 5:53 PM

Better than On Assistance

by Anonymousreply 13June 27, 2020 6:01 PM

Christina’s parents were both monsters and they did not pay her much attention. Christina and her brother unfortunately both took after their father and not their mother, looks wise.

Jackie probably could have won over Christina , who was desperate for affection, but her brother Alex hated Jackie and Christina followed his lead. Jackie tried to develop a relationship with her early in the marriage but Christina rebelled against Jackie criticizing her table manners, appearance and weight.

Once Alexander Onassis died, Christina was done with Jackie-Christina ended up believing that Jackie was a black widow who cursed her family.

by Anonymousreply 14June 27, 2020 7:40 PM

The Onassis name is on the second line because that is where second billing goes.

by Anonymousreply 15June 27, 2020 8:05 PM

Christina remained in contact with Jackie, and even introduced her to Christina's prospective husbands. She was not "done" with her at all.

by Anonymousreply 16June 27, 2020 8:06 PM

She kept it because that was her legal name. And the grave marking was done appropriately.

by Anonymousreply 17June 27, 2020 8:08 PM

Widows don't have the same options of ex wives. And besides, by the time Ari died everyone in the world knew who "Jackie O" was, even if they didn't know who HE was.

by Anonymousreply 18June 27, 2020 8:57 PM

[quote] Christina remained in contact with Jackie, and even introduced her to Christina's prospective husbands

Bullshit

Christina DESPISED Jackie

by Anonymousreply 19June 27, 2020 8:58 PM

Jackie was very old-fashioned and traditional. She would never have dropped her second husband's name. She was widowed, not divorced.

In Jackie's eulogy (given by Ted) the name Onassis was not mentioned once.

by Anonymousreply 20June 27, 2020 9:04 PM

I wonder if Caroline and her children hate having "Schlossberg" tacked onto their names.

by Anonymousreply 21June 27, 2020 10:00 PM

She would be turning 91 today.

by Anonymousreply 22July 28, 2020 3:45 PM

To crawl into bed with Onassis means you are one thirsty whore looking for $$$.

by Anonymousreply 23July 28, 2020 4:02 PM

She was a trophy wife, for JFK as for Onassis. And she was well aware of it.

What kind are of a guy was her boyfriend she had after Onassis? Was this a relationship of love?

by Anonymousreply 24July 28, 2020 8:32 PM

I love that she only got $27million to fuck off from one of the wealthiest families on earth at the time. Given a few pieces of silver and shown the door.

by Anonymousreply 25July 28, 2020 9:09 PM

I distinctly remember at the time hearing on the radio that the family's wish was for Onassis not to be on the tombstone but it was Arlington's policy that the legal name be on the tombstone.

by Anonymousreply 26July 28, 2020 9:19 PM

^ Hence the Onassis was never mentioned at the funeral. The family would rather it not be mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 27July 28, 2020 9:22 PM

Jackie was a class act who brought modernism to the White House. She was regal and elegant and dignified in a way that very few women have been.

She was never coarse or vulgar in public, and she did a lot of humanitarian work. And give her credit, she went out and got a job because she wanted to be one of the working class people.

by Anonymousreply 28July 28, 2020 9:33 PM

Maybe Ari insisted, being a traditional Greek? I'd take his name - or any name he wanted me to - for that kind of money.

by Anonymousreply 29July 28, 2020 9:37 PM

Did Princess Lee pay for the funeral and tombstone, what with Jackie on assistance? And then to have Jackie cut Lee out of the will...how rude.

by Anonymousreply 30July 28, 2020 9:41 PM

R28, Jackie NEVER wanted to be one of the great unwashed masses. Please! 🙄

by Anonymousreply 31July 28, 2020 9:52 PM

Did Jackie convert to Greek Orthodoxy and then revert back to the One True Faith after Ari's death?

by Anonymousreply 32July 28, 2020 10:02 PM

Did Jackie ever convert to Judaism while she was living with Maurice Tempelsman? She was with him 14 years, way longer than she was with either of her husbands. He is an Orthodox Jew, whose family spoke Yiddish. And he is the one who took her $26 million pile of money and turned it into over $100 million. Interesting how both Jackie and Caroline ended up with Jewish men. I can remember in the 1960s it was a scandal that there were Catholics in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 33July 28, 2020 10:17 PM

She liked money and there is nothing wrong with it, esp if all the men in your life never married you out of love.

by Anonymousreply 34July 28, 2020 10:35 PM

You made her money the old fashioned way.

by Anonymousreply 35July 28, 2020 10:56 PM

R25, the $26,000,000 settlement in 1975 is the equivalent in 2020 dollars of about $125,000,000.

by Anonymousreply 36July 28, 2020 10:57 PM

I want my headstone to be simple, as well. Just my name & the years of my birth & death. No beloved this or that.

by Anonymousreply 37July 28, 2020 10:59 PM

There was some question whether she’d be buried next to Pres. Kennedy. She put that to rest by saying her place in history was next to him.

by Anonymousreply 38July 28, 2020 11:02 PM

For the things she let him do to her, she earned it.

by Anonymousreply 39July 28, 2020 11:15 PM

[quote]I want my headstone to be simple, as well. Just my name & the years of my birth & death. No beloved this or that.

No worries, R37, no one can stand you. Crickets and tumbleweeds at your service.

by Anonymousreply 40July 28, 2020 11:16 PM

To avoid having to go to the DMV.

by Anonymousreply 41July 28, 2020 11:18 PM

She was too cheap to order new monogrammed towels.

by Anonymousreply 42July 28, 2020 11:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!