Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Olivia Newton-John

The pinnacle of her career was Grease, wasn't it? Why did she never try a Broadway show?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 27, 2020 10:53 PM

Please explain her double/hyphenated surname. Who's Newton? Who's John? Seems awkward.

by Anonymousreply 1June 27, 2020 1:46 AM

[quote]Please explain her double/hyphenated surname.

It's especially egregious coming from her. The double-hyphenated name is for upper crust British people. She's from that slave colony Australia.

by Anonymousreply 2June 27, 2020 1:49 AM

[quote] It's especially egregious coming from her. The double-hyphenated name is for upper crust British people. She's from that slave colony Australia.

She's associated with Australia, but she was actually born in Cambridge, UK. Her father Brinly "Bryn" Newton-John was an MI5 officer on the Enigma Project at Bletchley Park; her maternal grandfather, Max Born, won the Nobel Prize in Physics.

by Anonymousreply 3June 27, 2020 1:54 AM

R1 & R2 just gag and die because of R3 hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

by Anonymousreply 4June 27, 2020 1:56 AM

[quote]The pinnacle of her career was Grease, wasn't it?

Not even close. She had about seven years after Grease where she scored hit after hit. Physical was the biggest hit of the 1980's.

Grease is a great movie, but it's got to be annoying to ONJ when people act like that made or defined her. She had already won several Grammys and a couple of number one albums before doing Grease.

by Anonymousreply 5June 27, 2020 1:56 AM

She never did Broadway because it would've exposed the weakness of her breathy voice...

by Anonymousreply 6June 27, 2020 2:01 AM

R1, back for more gagging (FU, R3!). Please explain her father's double/hyphenated surname. Seems so wrong.

by Anonymousreply 7June 27, 2020 2:18 AM

[quote] (FU, [R3]!).

You wish to be blocked, you say?

Your wish is granted. Long live Jambi.

by Anonymousreply 8June 27, 2020 2:22 AM

Wasn't her pinnacle Physical, which was #1 on the charts for weeks.

by Anonymousreply 9June 27, 2020 2:23 AM

Olivia was able to reinvent herself many times. She started out as a very young folk-singer type with her first hit , Bob Dylan's "If Not For You". Then she hit with country songs like "Let Me Be There" and "If You Love Me (Let Me Know)". Then she became the pop balladeer with "I Honestly Love You" and "Have You Never Been Mellow". Grease let her become a movie star for one brief moment. Then harder edged songs like "A Little More Love" "Heart Attack" and her biggest hit "Magic" changed her image.

by Anonymousreply 10June 27, 2020 2:29 AM

DAME Olivia Newton-John.

Shame on you, OP!

by Anonymousreply 11June 27, 2020 2:52 AM

She gives off a nice vibe, plus no one has had any stories about her being mean to staff or other people. Her daughter is a mess though, a pothead who’s into plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 12June 27, 2020 2:55 AM

And didn't her lover stage a disappearance and death but then showed up in Mexico?

by Anonymousreply 13June 27, 2020 3:02 AM

"Physical" was ONJ's biggest hit single. It was also her last #1 on the Billboard Charts. Her previous #1s were "I Honestly Love You" and "Have You Never Been Mellow" during her saccharine sweet, soft pop/country phase; "You're the One That I Want" from Grease; and "Magic" from Xanadu.

She was a big recording artist in the 1970s and early '80s, but in the MTV era, I think she was done in by cheesy music videos that made her seem unhip amongst the younger artists.

by Anonymousreply 14June 27, 2020 3:53 AM

She still had another good 5 years OP. But people quickly tired of her sexy image, which was a stretch at 35. Madonna happily took over and Olivia soul kissed us goodbye.

by Anonymousreply 15June 27, 2020 4:03 AM

[quote]in the MTV era, I think she was done in by cheesy music videos that made her seem unhip amongst the younger artists.

Kind of ironic, since she made a video for every song on the Physical LP, much like Blondie did for Eat to the Beat. And like Debbie Harry, she was a crucial late 70s/early 80s precursor to Madonna. Without the insane drive and ambition, of course, which few others have ever possessed.

by Anonymousreply 16June 27, 2020 4:06 AM

She was offered Blood Brothers but turned it down.

by Anonymousreply 17June 27, 2020 4:20 AM

Once you're a female pop singer and you've been playing the virgin forever, and then suddenly act like you're slutty, you get an ENORMOUS sudden rise in popularity. But then it's all over because people get quickly tired of it.

Basically the same thing happened with Christina Aguilera and with Miley Cyrus.

by Anonymousreply 18June 27, 2020 4:31 AM

The Soul Kiss cover art shot by Helmut Newton showed us a sexier (kinkier?) side to Olivia. But it was 1985, and the music world was already saturated with hypersexed pop tarts in skimpy clothes--Madonna, Dale Bozzio, Terri Nunn, Vanity, Apollonia, the Mary Jane Girls, etc., so poor Olivia went and covered herself up on her next album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 27, 2020 4:33 AM

and Sheena Easton

by Anonymousreply 20June 27, 2020 4:33 AM

[quote]But it was 1985, and the music world was already saturated with hypersexed pop tarts in skimpy clothes

But you could say that Olivia started that trend by wearing that black leather outfit in Grease. The whole world could see her hoo-hah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 27, 2020 4:38 AM

[quote]Olivia soul kissed us goodbye.

It’s funny because I thought the Soul Kiss album was way better than the Physical album.

by Anonymousreply 22June 27, 2020 4:40 AM

R21, Grease was a huge international hit, so I don't doubt that Olivia's transformation from wholesome high school teen to slutty Cinderella influenced a lot of impressionable young ladies.

by Anonymousreply 23June 27, 2020 4:45 AM

Olivia had a couple years' great run as a skank, from 1978 in "Grease" to 1981 with "Physical," but then it got old, and so was she.

by Anonymousreply 24June 27, 2020 4:50 AM

Every boy in the world was in love with her in 1978.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 27, 2020 5:04 AM

Even mic-ed, her voice could not do BroadWAY.

by Anonymousreply 26June 27, 2020 5:08 AM

nah r26. She has a strong voice in concert. She could easily have done a Broadway show.

by Anonymousreply 27June 27, 2020 5:14 AM

Xanadu is the personal pinnacle for me.

A monumental misfire turned beloved, misguided masterpiece four decades later.

I genuinely love it now. I loved the soundtrack then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 27, 2020 5:20 AM

Olivia's putting her arms over her head than slowly lowering while rocking to the music at the .24 mark is about as close to perfection as you can get on earth. +

and her future husbands gyrations at 2:24 are pretty good too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 27, 2020 5:55 AM

R29 thank you for that in all these years of loving Livy and Xanadu, I have never been able to spot Matt in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 30June 27, 2020 6:04 AM

He gets the most screen time of the male dancers!

by Anonymousreply 31June 27, 2020 2:47 PM

I think her voice is underrated. it's not exceptional but pop singers rarely are. She sings live and sounds pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 32June 27, 2020 3:01 PM

It's a pretty voice, for a pretty woman.

by Anonymousreply 33June 27, 2020 3:08 PM

Why on earth would she have to do anything on Broadway?

Why would she even want to?

by Anonymousreply 34June 27, 2020 3:16 PM

DiDi Cohn was her gf.

by Anonymousreply 35June 27, 2020 3:17 PM

Broadway is not very renumerative, and its exhausting if you're not used to doing it.

by Anonymousreply 36June 27, 2020 3:17 PM

She's a pop star but not a legitimate actress.

by Anonymousreply 37June 27, 2020 3:21 PM

Her voice is very pretty with an unusually sweet sound. Yes, she is too breathy but like Diana Ross she can sing the quiet breath part of a song with great intimacy and no loss of control or intonation. It's hard to do. If she's not the world's greatest Broadway of popstar belter and her voice lacks a bit of resonance, it doesn't really detract because she is powerful enough in her belting voice and it get more clear and pretty and melodic at the top of her range - like Ross she became a better and more powerful singer as she aged. A light lyric soprano. Her big fame is before my time, but I think ONJ is kind of underrated as a singer. It's no accident that Olivia, Karen Carpenter and Dionne Warwick were all good friends. Understated and underrated singers. Carpenter and Warwick were much better vocalists, but what a very pretty and evocative sound Olivia had. RIP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 27, 2020 10:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!