Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you talk to yourself?

What's the last thing you said to yourself out loud?

If you have whole long monologues with yourself, just give the sentence that set you off or the last one you spoke before you shut up.

Last thing I declared out loud was "ALAS, IT IS A MYSTERY!" because I couldn't find something.

by Anonymousreply 67July 1, 2020 12:19 AM

I mostly grumble to myself, and it’s almost always work-related.

by Anonymousreply 1June 26, 2020 10:46 PM

All the time.

Last thing I said to myself out loud was about 20 minutes ago; "Stop thinking about shit that happened 35 years ago!"

by Anonymousreply 2June 26, 2020 10:47 PM

Of course I do.

No I don't.

Shut up!!

by Anonymousreply 3June 26, 2020 10:48 PM

Frequently. It's usually when I'm complaining about myself to myself. "Dumbass." "Get it together." "Why the fuck did I come into this room?"

by Anonymousreply 4June 26, 2020 10:48 PM

Last thing I said aloud to myself -

"AH HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA - That's some funny shit - ONLY ON THE DL!!!!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 5June 26, 2020 10:49 PM

All the time when I’m by myself and especially when I’m in the car driving. I might look crazy to some but I find it more cathartic to talk out loud. Call me crazy bc I probably am.

by Anonymousreply 6June 26, 2020 10:51 PM

"You can do it!"

by Anonymousreply 7June 26, 2020 10:55 PM

I own this thread.

by Anonymousreply 8June 26, 2020 10:57 PM

All the time! And when my husband asks me "What did you say?", I reply nothing - I was just singing.

by Anonymousreply 9June 26, 2020 11:03 PM

If there's nobody around, I talk to the cats, but occasionally I'll make a comment to myself. I went out to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee and there was a pool of water on the floor. We have a cat named Molly who has earned the nickname Messy Molly. She paws water out of the cats' drinking dish and can make quite a flood. My comment was "Shit, flooded again."

by Anonymousreply 10June 26, 2020 11:04 PM

I don't talk to myself, but I do talk to my dogs...all day long. "you crazy ass bitch" "I'm not in the mood for your shit today" "get your bony ass up here and take a nap with papa" I wonder what the neighbors think?

by Anonymousreply 11June 26, 2020 11:07 PM

I do affirmations. Recently -

I am calm, I am at peace, I have no worries, everything is fine.

I think you need to be your biggest fan so it is important to make sure you are mentally healthy. You take 30 minutes each day to get your physical appearance ready so you should place some time on the mental as well.

by Anonymousreply 12June 26, 2020 11:07 PM

I tend to use the royal “we” involved in listing, organizing,using, and cleaning shit up afterwards like there is a team. A split personality would be a relief; I’m bored of my voice.

by Anonymousreply 13June 26, 2020 11:27 PM

Oh I talk to myself all the time, I think the last thing I said to myself was "what the fuck" which is weird because I do not cuss when I speak to other people, not at all.

by Anonymousreply 14June 26, 2020 11:34 PM

At least I know I'm talking to someone intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 15June 26, 2020 11:36 PM

In the grocery store trying to remember items I need.

by Anonymousreply 16June 26, 2020 11:40 PM

GodDAMN it!!!

by Anonymousreply 17June 26, 2020 11:40 PM

I even crack myself up with stupid stuff I say - just have fun (no harm).

by Anonymousreply 18June 26, 2020 11:40 PM

R11 - 😂

by Anonymousreply 19June 26, 2020 11:40 PM

To those of you who talk to yourselves, how old are you? I don’t talk to myself, but my parents do and they’re middle aged. I’m wondering if it’s common for people to talk to themselves as they get older.

by Anonymousreply 20June 26, 2020 11:45 PM

Not really, but I did scream “Fucking Hell!” at my driveway gate when it wouldn’t open. Gate remained perfectly calm and acted like I didn’t exist, I was close to a heart attack.

by Anonymousreply 21June 26, 2020 11:46 PM

I'm such a gay man Frau.

I often tell myself "now I shall proceed..."

by Anonymousreply 22June 26, 2020 11:48 PM

I've always talked to myself, the radio, TV, the animals. I even talk to the plants and the earth and stars.

The last thing I said to myself out loud was, "shit! I need to write that down. Remind me to write that down later" since I was outside in the yard.

Talking to my beautiful roses.

by Anonymousreply 23June 26, 2020 11:50 PM

All the time....

Latest, this afternoon while watching a YouTube of Leonard Bernstein conducting the NY Philharmonic in his own creation, “West Side Story“. I jumped off the couch at his lightning quick and thunderous switch between “Cool Boy” and “The Rumble”. I just kept screaming; “fucking genius!!”, “to-die-for!!” , “ahhhhhhhh!!!”.

God knows what my neighbors might have thought.... I also throw soft objects at the TV, when appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 24June 26, 2020 11:53 PM

No, I bore me.

by Anonymousreply 25June 26, 2020 11:56 PM

R20, I'm 58. I think affirmations are great and can have other conversations too.

by Anonymousreply 26June 27, 2020 12:00 AM

I've always heard (not from myself, btw) that talking to oneself is the sign of high intelligence. I've done it since I was a child...my sister used to catch me and make fun, but I didn't care.

The main thing I've been talking about lately is my wifi being on the fritz. Lots of cursing, sighing, and telling myself to calm down, as the tech is coming out tomorrow to fix it.

by Anonymousreply 27June 27, 2020 12:01 AM

Ongoing internal dialogue about daydreams and talk to self a lot but not really out loud.

by Anonymousreply 28June 27, 2020 12:05 AM

I sing a lot. Make up little songs about whatever I’m doing. Insert ribald lyrics into show tunes.

by Anonymousreply 29June 27, 2020 12:07 AM

Yes. Usually when I'm working but lately when I'm at grocery store with my mask on I'll complain about not finding something or if I think it's overpriced. I figure no one can hear me since the mask muffles my voice.

by Anonymousreply 30June 27, 2020 12:19 AM

Girl, get that dick!

by Anonymousreply 31June 27, 2020 12:19 AM

I frequently say [bold]YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH![/bold] to myself.

by Anonymousreply 32June 27, 2020 12:24 AM

Earlier today I said: “I am going to have a stroke” due to work. Thankfully, I didn’t and by the end of the day my manager had good stuff to say to and about me on our end of week Zoom.

by Anonymousreply 33June 27, 2020 12:26 AM

"Give me a fucking break". Said out loud to myself more than I care to admit.

by Anonymousreply 34June 27, 2020 12:29 AM

Yes. Not habitually, but the punch lines. Or, if I have a presentation/speech coming up,

OP, a good topic,:see the closed link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 27, 2020 12:30 AM

Never, but I used to talk to my dog frequently... entire conversations actually. I thought it was normal, until I read on Datalounge that others find it annoying.

by Anonymousreply 36June 27, 2020 12:35 AM

The Christmas Moose talks to his stuffed Eeyore doll when he thinks no one us looking. Unless it’s in his mouth, which is often.

by Anonymousreply 37June 27, 2020 12:35 AM

I'm in my 30's and talk to myself constantly, but I try not to in front of others. Growing up, my dad used to (probably still does) have whole conversations with himself when he showered. At the time I thought it was crazy. However, as I age I find it very cathartic and helpful when trying to organize my thoughts and feelings.

by Anonymousreply 38June 27, 2020 12:35 AM

“Do you have to eat all of it? Fuck yeah. Neener”

by Anonymousreply 39June 27, 2020 12:36 AM

I had a habit of whispering to myself, but one of my cats gets terrified when I do that. “Wait....what am I doing now? I forget. Was I coming into this room to do something or was I going into the kitchen?” That sort of thing. Freaked him the fuck out. Maybe he thought I was talking to a ghost.

by Anonymousreply 40June 27, 2020 12:46 AM

When I was little my mother would be in the kitchen washing the dishes & she’d tell me to go sit in the living room & watch tv. Then she’d start whispering to herself. She would do 2 voices — like she was having a conversation between 2 different people. One of the whisper voices would get progressively meaner and the other whisper voice would be pleading & crying. I would yell “Mommy what’s the matter?” and she would say, in this fake sounding happy voice “Oh nothing! Nothing’s wrong! Don’t be silly. I’m just doing the dishes. You stay in there & watch tv.”

And if I sat quietly, after a few minutes she would start whispering again, the same 2 voices. If I turned down the volume of the tv so I could hear what she was saying, she’d stop whispering.

I could never make out the words the mean person was saying. I could make out the other person saying “please don’t.. Please no, no, no”

That’s all I could ever make out.

Yes, she was nuts, but she was the only mother I had, so I didn’t tell people how crazy she was. I was embarrassed. I didn’t want anyone to know,

by Anonymousreply 41June 27, 2020 12:59 AM

Some one has to.

by Anonymousreply 42June 27, 2020 1:16 AM

All fucking day long. I used to worry that someone would overhear my crazy-ass blurtations, but now I think they'll assume Tourertte (or whatever) and go back to their pressing business.

by Anonymousreply 43June 27, 2020 2:09 AM

Of course I talk all the time to my two Siberian Huskies, but for some reason I also talk to myself in the supermarket. [italic]Where the fuck is the cayenne?[/italic] I'll mutter. Often, people nearby will think I'm talking to them and reply: [italic]Umm, it's over here.[/italic] This can get embarrassing. I save my best dialogue for my car, usually when it's giving me grief: [italic]Get into gear you goddamn whore![/italic]

by Anonymousreply 44June 27, 2020 2:28 AM

Yes, I swear at myself for everything wrong thing I've done, usually I say, "What the fuck was I thinking?" I need to stop.

by Anonymousreply 45June 27, 2020 2:46 AM

Another supermarket where the fuck is? mutterer. Also audibly chastise myself when I spill or break something, e.g., "What are ya gonna do for an encore, asshole??".

by Anonymousreply 46June 27, 2020 2:50 AM

Sometimes, if I'm having a bad day and nothing is working right, I'll start yelling (at the lawnmower, the power tools, the garage door opener, the WiFi, etc), "Am I the only fucking thing that works around here?"

Followed by, "cause it sure the hell seems like it!"

by Anonymousreply 47June 27, 2020 5:16 AM

Same as R38!

by Anonymousreply 48June 27, 2020 5:20 AM

R44, you've made my night! I needed a good belly laugh. Thanks for being so witty.

by Anonymousreply 49June 27, 2020 7:38 AM

Thanks, r49. I'm guessing that the people I sometimes startle at Albertsons when I chatter to myself might think I'm just a better-dressed street person.

by Anonymousreply 50June 27, 2020 7:53 AM

R50, I was in the library on Thursday--the first day they reopened for browsing. Most of the patrons were homeless-looking, but were at desks using the wifi or reading newspapers. I was looking for the celebrity memoirs I love to devour, and found myself wandering among the stacks and saying under my mask, "Where the fuck are the memoirs?" They probably thought I was crazy as well.

by Anonymousreply 51June 27, 2020 8:01 AM

I talk to myself... usually I am bitching about Trump.

by Anonymousreply 52June 27, 2020 9:23 AM

R41 That must have been dreadful, yet I suppose you were still curious enough to wish to listen, so perhaps it was somewhat fascinating at the same time?

You have my sympathy, and thanks for your post. I have a friend who has shared with me similar things: her mum not only talked to herself, with the role playing as you have described, but also a penchant for counting. When she was nervous or acting unusually high strung, she would fly off the handle when anyone interrupted her "counting" out loud. Later in life my friend asked her mum, she said she felt a compulsion. She still does it apparently, yet not so angry when others interrupt now.

by Anonymousreply 53June 30, 2020 3:16 AM

I talk to myself because I'm the only one who understands me.

by Anonymousreply 54June 30, 2020 3:26 AM

I don’t do this as much now, but I enjoy it when I do.

When I’m alone in my bedroom or on the couch, I’ll give myself Barbara Walters 90s-style interviews. The interviewer is in my head and then I answer aloud in a low voice. I’m a huge Hollywood success and Barbara wants to know about my childhood & how I managed to overcome all the horrible people in my life. It’s like therapy.

by Anonymousreply 55June 30, 2020 3:42 AM

R52 #metoo

by Anonymousreply 56June 30, 2020 3:44 AM

I always pretend I’m on Oprah getting interviewed about my new book whilst taking a dump.

by Anonymousreply 57June 30, 2020 3:47 AM

"Put that back. I didn't give you permission to touch me there! I'm going out for a while."

by Anonymousreply 58June 30, 2020 3:51 AM

R57 I pretend I'm on the Oscar red carpet talking about how thrilled I am to be nominated...whilst taking a dump.

But seriously, some of the best conversations I've ever had have been with myself. I guess I'm not really a people person.

by Anonymousreply 59June 30, 2020 3:52 AM

You're not crazy if you suspect you might be crazy, right?

by Anonymousreply 60June 30, 2020 4:54 AM

I look in the mirror and say,[italic] "Hey, whore face!"

by Anonymousreply 61June 30, 2020 5:22 AM

I think more than 90% of people talk to themselves in private, but some are just to scared to admit it. Fun fact: Psychology says that talking to yourself is healthy.

by Anonymousreply 62June 30, 2020 3:08 PM

No, I don't.

Yes you do!

No I don't!

Hahahahahaha.....

by Anonymousreply 63June 30, 2020 5:46 PM

Absolutely. I have an office cat and I talk to her all the time about my cases and what we need to do. My paralegals and receptionists laugh at me and probably talk about me behind my back but I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 64June 30, 2020 5:50 PM

My mother muttered to herself, constantly. Her inner monologue, aloud, basically, although she never seemed to understand that PEOPLE CAN HEAR HER. And what shifts it from kinda funny to kinda sad is that the outer monologue was just nonstop muttered criticisms of everything a little boy ever did.

by Anonymousreply 65June 30, 2020 9:32 PM

Just when I look in the mirror.

"You are so handsome, why hasn't some hot guy snapped you up yet?"

by Anonymousreply 66July 1, 2020 12:16 AM

usually "where am I?"

by Anonymousreply 67July 1, 2020 12:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!