Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Happy 75th Birthday, Carly Simon!!!!

To honor Miss Simon I'm gonna have some clouds in my coffee, clouds in my coffee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158July 10, 2020 2:37 AM

Make sure you cradle it, hun!

by Anonymousreply 1June 26, 2020 7:04 PM

she was an unconventional and kooky beauty, I’ve always liked her.

by Anonymousreply 2June 26, 2020 7:05 PM

I don't know her.

by Anonymousreply 3June 26, 2020 7:09 PM

Always a cool chick. Love Carly.

My favorite Carly song: "Jesse"...with a special performance at Grand Central.

Happy Birthday, doll

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 26, 2020 7:12 PM

She is actually 78.

by Anonymousreply 5June 26, 2020 7:14 PM

OP - Who came in your coffee?

by Anonymousreply 6June 26, 2020 7:15 PM

Classic Carly on Martha's Vineyard. The wind is lovely on her.

Lots of other vids from that concert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 26, 2020 7:15 PM

I'm gonna give Mom the best gift I can give her.....me!

by Anonymousreply 8June 26, 2020 7:16 PM

Those hard nipples were worth million to her back in the day. Good job girls.

by Anonymousreply 9June 26, 2020 7:17 PM

I tiptoe past the master bedroom where my mother reads her magazines.

by Anonymousreply 10June 26, 2020 7:19 PM

Fuck that bitch.

by Anonymousreply 11June 26, 2020 7:22 PM

Their children hate them for the things they not. They hate themselves for what they are.

[that is some dark shit in that song but i love it]

by Anonymousreply 12June 26, 2020 7:25 PM

Still jealous she had that primo James Taylor cock.

by Anonymousreply 13June 26, 2020 7:35 PM

You can't do much with even a huge cock when it's limp from drugs.

by Anonymousreply 14June 26, 2020 7:39 PM

Carly Elisabeth Simon (born June 25, 1945), 75; The Bronx, NY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 26, 2020 7:42 PM

She was never a good singer and not pretty. Sexy and an okay songwriter. Forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 16June 26, 2020 7:43 PM

R16. How old are you? Run along. Carly Simon is not forgotten nor are her songs.

by Anonymousreply 17June 26, 2020 7:44 PM

Damn, that bitch is old

by Anonymousreply 18June 26, 2020 7:45 PM

Carly Simon with Howard Stern in 1995:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 26, 2020 7:45 PM

R16, are you mentally retarded?

Just asking.

by Anonymousreply 20June 26, 2020 7:50 PM

[quote] Damn, that bitch is old

Say that about ME and I'll put out my lit cigarette in your fuckin' eye!

by Anonymousreply 21June 26, 2020 7:51 PM

I didn’t know she was a cancer. Makes sense. I love her music. Great to get sad drunk too

by Anonymousreply 22June 26, 2020 7:52 PM

[quote] Still jealous she had that primo James Taylor cock.

And then later his son Ben's

by Anonymousreply 23June 26, 2020 7:53 PM

^ did anyone read her book about Jackie Kennedy?

by Anonymousreply 24June 26, 2020 7:54 PM

You mean his AND her son R23.

by Anonymousreply 25June 26, 2020 7:55 PM

How old of a white gay man are you sir @ R20? Over 75 to be sure. Who uses words like mentally retarded? I bet you love to call Beyonce names on a Friday night too. Carly Simon is almost 40 years older than I am. She is homely and can't sing. Facts are facts. That one song over and over again. Her classic covers are torture to the ears. Thin and flat, in voice and chest. Got hit by a shovel. Enjoy yourself racist GRAMPS, aka R20!!

by Anonymousreply 26June 26, 2020 7:55 PM

I eat piles and piles AND! PILES! of shit.

So much shit! I can barely fit it on my fork!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 27June 26, 2020 7:57 PM

Carly and her two sisters have a pact: They all subtract 3 years from their ages. That used to be more significant than it is now.

When the author of "Girls Like Us" was writing the book about Carly, Joni Mitchell, and Carole King, Carly was the only subject who agreed to cooperate and be a source. Her only condition: the author would not reveal the actual year Carly was born. She agreed.

If you read the book, it is very clear that the author gets suddenly vague about certain events (like high school graduation) that would tip off the reader to Carly's actual age.

by Anonymousreply 28June 26, 2020 8:59 PM

R16 = Joni Mitchell

by Anonymousreply 29June 26, 2020 9:04 PM

Why doesn't Carly sing anymore? Is she retired?

by Anonymousreply 30June 26, 2020 9:07 PM

Carly never really could sing. And yes, she's retarded now.

by Anonymousreply 31June 26, 2020 9:14 PM

When Carly married James Taylor in 1972, Time Mag said they were 32 and 28 respectivly. Hmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 32June 26, 2020 9:15 PM

Sounds like Carly is no stranger to the Lez Lez.

"In an interview published on May 1, 2008, with the Bay Area Reporter, an LGBT news service, Simon was asked about the possibility of a performance in the True Colors Tour. She responded, "The part that I could be involved in is the gay and lesbian part. The part that would be hard for me is to commit to a tour, because I'm not very comfortable being onstage. But the part that would be easiest for me would be singing on behalf of all of us. I don't consider myself to be not gay... I've enlarged all of my possibilities. I have a lot of extremely personal stories to tell about that, but we won't go into that right now. Let's just say that it just depends upon who I'm with."

by Anonymousreply 33June 26, 2020 9:20 PM

While she didn't have the vocal chops of a Ronstadt, Raitt, Mitchell, or Nyro, her voice worked very well with her own material. And she certainly has/had a better voice than Carole King ever did.

by Anonymousreply 34June 26, 2020 9:21 PM

Carly wrote better lyrics than Carole and better music than Joni. Carly sang better than both of them.

Joni wrote better lyrics than either of them, but Carole wrote better music than the other two. Joni sang better than Carole.

by Anonymousreply 35June 26, 2020 9:41 PM

[quote] better music than Joni

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

by Anonymousreply 36June 26, 2020 9:59 PM

Carl Simon is not any better singer that Carole King and doesn't have 1/100th of her talent. Carly was just around. She's lucky that Mike Nichols kept her shitty career going for another 20 years. Truly a terrible singer. At least Carole King knew he limitations as a vocalist.

Carly Simon doesn't belong in the same sentence as Ronstadt, Raitt, Mitchell, Nyro OR King. Don't be silly.

Carly Simon belongs in the same category as Jewel, Suzanne Vega and Janis Ian.

by Anonymousreply 37June 26, 2020 10:01 PM

Evidently the author of Girls Like Us begs to differ with Miss R37 as she felt Carly, Carole and Joni were in the same sentence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 26, 2020 10:03 PM

That's a trashy and poorly researched book R38. They're close to the same age. And they fucked some of the same men. The end. Carly Simon doesn't inhabit a place as singer or songwriter. As a singer - YUCK. She would be left out of a 12 hour Ken Burn's documentary.

Carly Simon is a footnote in Martha's Vineyard music history. A whiny dilettante with an annoying voice full of false emotion. She's grotesque.

by Anonymousreply 39June 26, 2020 10:12 PM

R35 That sounds like the beginning of an SAT word problem.

by Anonymousreply 40June 26, 2020 10:14 PM

Carly was my babysitter back when she was at Sarah Lawrence. All I can remember was that she seemed ENORMOUS to me. ENORMOUS. And very nice.

by Anonymousreply 41June 26, 2020 10:16 PM

[quote]Sounds like Carly is no stranger to the Lez Lez

Yikes can you imagine those chompers coming at your lady bits?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 26, 2020 10:25 PM

Carly looked like a less attractive Yvie Oddley. Covergirl won't cover boy.

by Anonymousreply 43June 26, 2020 10:27 PM

White Boomers LOVE Carly and James Taylor. Everybody else is kind of "meh" about both.

by Anonymousreply 44June 26, 2020 11:15 PM

Well, I'd rather give the boomers some credibility on that count, rather than any generation that foisted Iggy Azalea on us.

by Anonymousreply 45June 27, 2020 12:09 AM

Nobody foisted Iggy Azalea on anyone but herself. She's a universal joke and a weird name to bring up. Carly Simon sucked her way to the middle though, for sure. And SHE did heroin too sister. That bitch ain't some suffering wife. Save your old white gay pity for more deserving people. Not preppy Kennedy Centre hippies from the Vineyard. They flew private planes long before real superstars. James Taylor despises her. Carly is a toxic cookie and he got out the only way he knew how. Behave worse and hope she leaves. She's grotesque.

by Anonymousreply 46June 27, 2020 12:21 AM

Well, smell Miss R46.

I await her command to sashay away.

by Anonymousreply 47June 27, 2020 4:27 AM

I'd forgotten what a massive mouth she has. It's served her well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 27, 2020 4:36 AM

she was a big old heaux

by Anonymousreply 49June 27, 2020 4:42 AM

I really liked her "Anticipation" and "No Secrets" albums. But not much else. She's always seemed very neurotic, a neurotic rich girl. And no, she was never that much of singer. "Flat voiced" is what one critic called. She stupidly made her hair very blonde, to look younger I suppose. But the blonde hair doesn't become her, it makes her look like a hag. She was considered quite the sex symbol in her day, but looking back it's hard to see why. She was tall and skinny, with a wide nose and a huge mouth with prominent teeth. Not exactly a beauty.

by Anonymousreply 50June 27, 2020 4:48 AM

Mama needs a back rub, Ben, for old time's sake.

And bring the lotion.

by Anonymousreply 51June 27, 2020 4:55 AM

I met her on the vineyard and she attached herself to me! We were never friends. I never confided in her. She was so neurotic I felt compelled to be her friend least she do away with herself. She had the gall to ask me about the assassination ! Bunny and I laughed ourselves mercilessly at her sad little attempts to break into our clique.

by Anonymousreply 52June 27, 2020 5:04 AM

"I feel like a concert on Martha's Vineyard is like stepping out of my bathroom and into my bedroom. It's sort of like going downstairs. It feels as if the islanders are my family. Most concerts I feel it's me and them, the audience. On the island I don't feel that way. I feel that it's me and us."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 27, 2020 5:06 AM

[quote]She was considered quite the sex symbol in her day, but looking back it's hard to see why. Not exactly a beauty.

Carly was pretty glam for a pop singer.

And her hard nipples on the cover of No Secrets and spread legs with the light coming through her dress on the cover of Anticipation helped her sex symbol image. Sears banned her Playing Possum album because they deemed the cover too sexy.

She was provocative (the Boys in the Trees cover looks like she's just been fucked) before long Madonna came along.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 27, 2020 3:10 PM

Very spotty career. Chronicling the lives of the east coast elite has limited appeal. Much of her album work is filler. And she has released plenty of flat-out dreck.

That said, I kind of love her. She can be a wry lyricist, and always had a sexiness that seemed more from being than performing.

Her first album of American standards, Torch, was my gateway into the American songbook. While her voice is nowhere near as technically impressive as Ronstadt’s, her interpretations of classic torch and tin-pan-alley songs are superior.

And yeah, she got to ride peak JT, fight with a drunken Chrissie Hynde at a Joni Mitchell show, and date the original Stephen Carrington. And then marry a real-life gay! Plenty of drama in addition to decades of good music.

Speaking of which, where are the fucking YouTube previews?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 27, 2020 3:43 PM

R55 I love that version of I Get Along Without You Very Well. It is heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 56June 27, 2020 3:50 PM

I recommend her memoir "Boys In The Trees." It is very well written, candid, and interesting.

Her book on Jackie O is dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 57June 27, 2020 3:58 PM

Everything about her is dreadful and inky dinky special. Every time celebrates a few lightweights. Carly was the lightweight of the 1970s female singer/songwriters who made musical and personal history. Karen Carpenter is light years more important and loved. Carly is kind of grossly self indulgent. Who told her she could sing? I'm no fan of Ronstadt's dreck, but that bitch could sing. Real songs.

Anyway, RIP Carly. At first do no harm. I'm sorry for her children.

by Anonymousreply 58June 29, 2020 11:37 PM

I just bought a collection called Reflections, which is remastered old hits. It's wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 59June 29, 2020 11:53 PM

Funny how Karen Carpenter got so much shit in her day and Carly Simon and Linda Ronstadt were celebrated, and now it's the other way around. Simon and Ronstadt aren't really known that well to younger generations, but Karen Carpenter, who's been dead for nearly 40 years, is well-known.

by Anonymousreply 60June 30, 2020 12:07 AM

Carly Simon? She's so vain!

by Anonymousreply 61June 30, 2020 12:39 AM

In the 1970s, I actually heard Carly Simon say on a radio show* that she was better than Streisand - because Streisand used over dramatizing when singing like an ugly girl had a "good personality." In other words, Streisand had no looks, so she developed her singing voice to compensate.

I'm not a Streisand worshiper, but I found Simon's evaluation to be a real crock of sexist horseshit.

* the radio show was Jonathan Schwartz' local NYC

by Anonymousreply 62June 30, 2020 1:58 AM

Streisand has awful taste. Simon's work form the 1970s and 1980s has aged better, on the whole.

by Anonymousreply 63June 30, 2020 2:00 AM

75? Son of a gun.

by Anonymousreply 64June 30, 2020 2:03 AM

R63, this is about talent, and encompasses ALL of Streisand's singing career. It is not about some stupid singles Streisand out out in the 1970s. Not think about that. If necessary, look it up.

by Anonymousreply 65June 30, 2020 2:04 AM

Ok. I will not think about that.

by Anonymousreply 66June 30, 2020 2:06 AM

Streisand's pop stuff in the late 70s/early 80s is the only music of hers I've ever liked.

by Anonymousreply 67June 30, 2020 2:34 AM

You like this crap?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 30, 2020 2:38 AM

r68 I don't know that one. I was thinking more of "Prisoner," the theme song from the craptastic "Eyes Of Laura Mars" starring Faye Dunaway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69June 30, 2020 3:14 AM

I was playing this repeatedly a few weeks ago. God how I miss the days of actual talent. Carly looks and sounds just amazing in this clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70June 30, 2020 4:16 AM

Streisand can't sing for shit. Zero emotion.

by Anonymousreply 71June 30, 2020 4:16 AM

Don't be an idiot, r71. There are criticisms you can make of Streisand, but "zero emotion" isn't one of them.

I love that clip of Simon, r70. I don't remember her performing live in the 70s but maybe I just missed it.

by Anonymousreply 72June 30, 2020 6:54 AM

She could've made bank as a touring artist in the 70s and 80s but she had horrible stage fright. I bet she regrets that now.

by Anonymousreply 73June 30, 2020 7:14 AM

A rich Jewish girl without proper orthodontics. Something doesn't ad dup.

by Anonymousreply 74June 30, 2020 7:36 AM

"Streisand can't sing for shit. Zero emotion."

Very funny. Streisand was criticized relentlessly for being overly emotional when singing. Unless you only know "The Way We Were" and all that 70s shit.

by Anonymousreply 75June 30, 2020 2:26 PM

[quote]Karen Carpenter, who's been dead for nearly 40 years, is well-known.

Meanwhile, back in the real world . . .

by Anonymousreply 76June 30, 2020 2:45 PM

Carpenter's music and Karen Carpenter's gorgeous voice and tragic legend are far more alive in people's minds that Carly Simon. Karen Carpenter had one of the most beautiful and evocative recorded voices of all time. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 77June 30, 2020 4:02 PM

Fanatics are weird, but everyone is a secret Carpenter's fan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78June 30, 2020 4:03 PM

A voice from Beyond The Grave. Superstar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79June 30, 2020 4:05 PM

[quote]Funny how Karen Carpenter got so much shit in her day and Carly Simon and Linda Ronstadt were celebrated, and now it's the other way around. Simon and Ronstadt aren't really known that well to younger generations, but Karen Carpenter, who's been dead for nearly 40 years, is well-known.

Linda had a documentary movie done on her last year and was inducted into the Kennedy Center Honors a few months back.

by Anonymousreply 80June 30, 2020 4:08 PM

Carly who?

Year: 1983; Age: 32

After the singer’s sudden death, her legacy felt cloudy – thanks to the then-misunderstood illness, anorexia, which took her life, and a prevailing lack of critical respect for the hugely popular music she and brother Richard produced as the Carpenters from 1970 onward. Many dismissed trademark hits like “Yesterday Once More”, “Close to You” and “Rainy Days and Mondays” as schmaltzy and Lawrence Welk–level square; others were haunted by images of an alarmingly frail, thin Carpenter in performance. She was the first celebrity to posthumously make eating disorders a part of the national conversation; her complicated relationships with her brother and her mother, Agnes, and lack of control over her own artistry have been explored extensively since her passing. What ultimately redeemed her has been a gradual reassessment and celebration of her extraordinary contralto and The Carpenters’ catalog. An early, now-impossible-to-find Todd Haynes documentary Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story became an underground classic after its 1988 debut, and Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth wrote and recorded “Tunic (A Song for Karen)” in her memory in 1990. “I wanted to put Karen Carpenter up in heaven playing drums and being happy,” Gordon told Rolling Stone in 1997. Similarly, Elton John called her “one of the greatest voices of our lifetime,” and Madonna professed that she is “completely influenced by her harmonic sensibility.” In her final years, she was eager to take her lush, understated and crystal-clear voice into a new, independent direction. A 1979 solo album produced by Phil Ramone – not released until 1996 – had her singing about sex and liberation on tighter songs inflected with rock and disco. “It was a beginning,” Ramone told the New York Times. “I’m not saying that Karen was Ella Fitzgerald or Sarah Vaughan, but a voice like that could have done anything.”

by Anonymousreply 81June 30, 2020 4:09 PM

Will Pet Clark do this for Carly Simon? I don't think so. ONJ and Dionne Warwick, Burt Bacharach and Herb Alpert and Phil Ramone all showed up for Karen Carpenter too. A special voice she had. A wonderful musician and a great vocalist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82June 30, 2020 4:21 PM

[quote]Carpenters' music and Karen Carpenter's gorgeous voice and tragic legend are far more alive in people's minds than Carly Simon.

Not in mine. I hated the Carpenters. Never spent one cent on their recordings until I got an SACD player around 1999. Still the sappiest fucking shit in the universe: on a par with other seventies misery makers Barry Manilow, the Captain and Tennille, England Dan & John Ford Coley, John Denver, Afternoon Delight, and Bread. I never listened to the Carpenters disc, and gave it away.

by Anonymousreply 83June 30, 2020 5:38 PM

"Fanatics are weird, but everyone is a secret Carpenter's fan."

R83 is right. I remember them where they had their first hits - I ALWAYS disliked The Carpenters, always disliked Karen. They were gooey pop pablum, and gave me the creeps on top of that. It's younger audiences that are in love with Karen's voice because they don't know any of good voices. I don't even refer to Karen as a vocalist because she has a unique sound but no technique.

by Anonymousreply 84June 30, 2020 6:30 PM

Nonsense. Madonna is as old as most of you and she liked Karen's voice. Ditto Sonic Youth.

by Anonymousreply 85June 30, 2020 6:32 PM

Sonic Youth / Superstar

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86June 30, 2020 6:34 PM

Whether Madonna, Sinatra, Robert Q Lewis or Soupy Sales "liked" Karen Carpenter's voice does not make her a good voice or a good singer. Odd some list names who said they liked her somehow makes her good. It's like the idiots here who claims something's good because it sold.

by Anonymousreply 87June 30, 2020 6:36 PM

Oh, yeah, r85...Madonna has always been my first reference in matters of taste. (Smirking My Ass Off.)

Do you perform nincompoopery for a living? You're good at it.

by Anonymousreply 88June 30, 2020 6:36 PM

Muriel, can we please have an Idiot Of The Thread button? Please? r85 deserves—nay, needs—one desperately.

by Anonymousreply 89June 30, 2020 6:38 PM

Call be overly sensitive, but I just couldn't get into a brother-sister act who were fucking.

by Anonymousreply 90June 30, 2020 6:43 PM

[quote] Whether Madonna, Sinatra, Robert Q Lewis or Soupy Sales "liked" Karen Carpenter's voice does not make her a good voice or a good singer. Odd some list names who said they liked her somehow makes her good. It's like the idiots here who claims something's good because it sold.

This is like on every Judy Garland thread -- all 12 trillion of them -- some idiot will always trot about some purported Frank Sinatra quotation about Garland being the only singer who won't be forgotten -- as if whatever that mean, old drunk said matters.

by Anonymousreply 91June 30, 2020 6:46 PM

[Quote] Whether Madonna, Sinatra, Robert Q Lewis or Soupy Sales "liked" Karen Carpenter's voice does not make her a good voice or a good singer. Odd some list names who said they liked her somehow makes her good. It's like the idiots here who claims something's good because it sold.

The poster up thread write that younger audiences don't know a good voice, so I named some old people who are Karen fans...

by Anonymousreply 92June 30, 2020 6:46 PM

r88

The woman knows talent. Madonna wouldn't have a career based just on her own skills.

by Anonymousreply 93June 30, 2020 6:47 PM

[Quote] Around 1970, I was invited into Herb Alpert's office at A&M Records to listen to the Carpenters' version of "Close To You," a song that I had recorded in the mid 1960's. I was pleasantly surprised. I loved the way Karen sounded. They also recorded a song I considered one of my biggest Bacharach challenges from the Broadway play PROMISES PROMISES titled "Knowing When To Leave." Karen nailed it.

[Quote] I do miss her, but her legacy is her music, and that will live on long after we are all gone.

by Anonymousreply 94June 30, 2020 6:49 PM

Love them both. Who I don't love is the talent free Carl Simony.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95June 30, 2020 6:50 PM

Knowing Dionne, she would only ever compliment someone she didn't consider a threat. "I got your number, skinny white hussy."

by Anonymousreply 96June 30, 2020 6:57 PM

Dionne loved Karen Carpenter. Everyone knows that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97June 30, 2020 7:00 PM

What did Lainie Kazan say about Karen?

by Anonymousreply 98June 30, 2020 7:12 PM

Don't try this Carly Simons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99June 30, 2020 7:12 PM

Karen Carpenter's voice is discovered every day. Her sound is very, very special. To say she had no technique displays incredible ignorance. She had a great gift which she used beautifully.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100June 30, 2020 7:18 PM

[Quote] What did Lainie Kazan say about Karen?

"Can I have your stuff?"

by Anonymousreply 101June 30, 2020 7:29 PM

Geez, I love both Carpenter's and Simon's sound.

I'll leave the technical debate to those who know what they're talking about.

I give the nod to Carpenter, though, for sheer talent.

Nobody else's voice creates such poignancy within me. I love to feel sad when I hear Carpenter sing.

by Anonymousreply 102June 30, 2020 11:22 PM

[Quote] Carpenter's

Mary Chapin?

by Anonymousreply 103June 30, 2020 11:32 PM

No, r103, Karen Carpenter's

by Anonymousreply 104June 30, 2020 11:35 PM

R101, at first I thought you mean that Lainie wanted to seduce Karen. But even old fat Lainie had standards.

by Anonymousreply 105June 30, 2020 11:36 PM

Carly has a bright, funny, observant personality that is surprising to those who know only her neurotic celebrity persona (although there's is certainly plenty of neurosis there too)...

But Carly is a "Pleaser" personality type and has never been particularly good at protecting herself, which has provided plenty of fodder for her enemies - kind of amazing that she still inspires such a range of strong opinions here.

Her personality came through in both of her books "Boys in the Trees" and "Touched By the Sun: My Friendship with Jackie" - she's known a lot of famous persons and has some amazing stories. She's obviously a talented writer, as well.

At this stage of her life, Carly has finally found a kind of completeness and contentment that eluded her earlier. I won't say she no longer cares - but she's no longer likely to be devastated by the disapproval of others...

And if you think Carly's not a talented lyricist, give a listen to "Libby" or "Boys in the Trees" (Tori Amos calls it the song she WISHES she had written), and some of the lesser known songs in her catalog that spans over three decades....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106July 1, 2020 12:33 AM

When Carly was on "Finding Your Roots", Henry Louis Gates called Carly the "blackest White woman" they had ever had on the show.

BTW, that was a great episode - they uncovered some interesting stories in her genealogy.

by Anonymousreply 107July 1, 2020 12:41 AM

Carly can't sing though.

by Anonymousreply 108July 1, 2020 1:45 AM

And you don't have any interesting thoughts, R108

by Anonymousreply 109July 1, 2020 3:09 AM

Carly's maternal grandmother claimed to be the illegitimate daughter of the Infante of Span

Carly's mother Andrea had Caucasian features and hair and she generally "passed" as White in Segregated America

Her mother's brothers had black features and struggled to earn a living but they both were talented musicians

by Anonymousreply 110July 1, 2020 3:13 AM

*Infante of Spain

by Anonymousreply 111July 1, 2020 3:14 AM

Many of the best and most informed post on this thread come from me, R109. What a shame you can't track them. Can't afford a buck fifty?

by Anonymousreply 112July 1, 2020 3:18 AM

Carly's mother Andrea Simon

by Anonymousreply 113July 1, 2020 3:20 AM

Carly & Andrea

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114July 1, 2020 3:21 AM

Carly's mother was mixed race?

by Anonymousreply 115July 1, 2020 3:23 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116July 1, 2020 3:24 AM

Was Carly a prize fighter or just a battered bitch? What a busted up face. She's a cutter kind of gal. Proud of her neurosis. She draws attention to her victim pains. Weak. Maybe that's why her songs are so putrid?

by Anonymousreply 117July 1, 2020 3:25 AM

Yes, Carly's mother had a quarter African-Caribbean ancestry through her mother Andrea Heinemann

Carly has said she would have been considered an "Octoroon" or a person of 1/8 African ancestry, in the parlance of Segregated America

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 1, 2020 3:28 AM

I didn't realize Carly's younger brother Peter Simon died in 2018

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119July 1, 2020 3:33 AM

Carly's mother Andrea

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120July 1, 2020 3:35 AM

So some of Carly's photos were clearly G-Rated

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121July 1, 2020 3:42 AM

Sloan Wilson, author of "Man in the Gray Flannel Suit" wrote about visiting his publisher Richard Simon at Simon's country estate in Connecticut in the 1950s

Wilson wrote in one of his books that seeing Simon and his family in the setting of their estate, they all seemed to have a sort ethereal bronze glow of success, except for Simon's daughter Carly who was not as attractive

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122July 1, 2020 3:48 AM

At what age was Carly lobotomized? No wonder Jackie fake friended her.

by Anonymousreply 123July 1, 2020 3:53 AM

James Taylor and Carly celebrating Thanksgiving with Carly's family

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124July 1, 2020 3:54 AM

r121 - That looks an awful lot like a young Lauren Bacall.

You all are comparing apples and oranges. Streisand, Rondstadt, Karen Carpenter were all singers. They didn't write music , they sang others music. King, Simon, Mitchell, were all troubadours. You don't need to have a great voice to be one, just a good one. I'm 64 years old and just became a real Joni Mitchell fan since I've been in quarantine.

by Anonymousreply 125July 1, 2020 3:55 AM

Joni Mitchell is a genius. And she could SING. Her musicality and phrasing and timing and tuning are impeccable. Carly Simon never even resembled young Lauren Bacall's foot. And she has no place in the same sentence with Joni Mitchell either. Drink your vodka and cry over her "singing" old white DL posters - but don't try to convince the rest of us that Carling Simmons was anything but rich and lucky with connections. She SUCKS ass. Literally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126July 1, 2020 4:14 AM

Carly Simon and James Taylor's Wedding Reception

I hope Yoko didn't insist on singing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127July 1, 2020 4:48 AM

I've never been into Carly Simon or James Taylor but by Boomer parents, aunts, uncles and their friends (east coast, upper-middle class types) loved them.

by Anonymousreply 128July 1, 2020 5:01 AM

Damn fine looking woman in her day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129July 1, 2020 5:07 AM

I love that Carly's mother kept a lover half her age in the same house as her husband.

My kind of gal!

by Anonymousreply 130July 1, 2020 3:06 PM

According to DL, Carly herself carried on her mother's "younger lover in the house" tradition with Ben.

by Anonymousreply 131July 1, 2020 4:53 PM

Your son can't be your lover. That's abuse.

by Anonymousreply 132July 1, 2020 4:55 PM

Her song Jessie is a benchmark in payola. She was a major artist in the 70’s then, as said above, began to slide. Because she was paid the big bucks & had the decline her record company paid radio stations in money, travel $ coke to get it across. It worked with the song & somewhat the album She followed it with another that bombed (single was tired of being blonde) Mike nicols (sp?) did bump her career after that with all the movie soundtracks. This was from the payloa book i read (look up the title i don’t want to) I remember it because most of the book was about Arthur freed in the 50’s & The arthur pointed out it was still going on. The other problem with the 70’s artists (carly,etc) was Generation X wanted their own stars & the birth of mtv. So all these high paid singers were not returning on their investment. If i’m long winded it because I’m high.

by Anonymousreply 133July 1, 2020 5:52 PM

[quote]The other problem with the 70’s artists (carly,etc) was Generation X wanted their own stars & the birth of mtv. So all these high paid singers were not returning on their investment. If i’m long winded it because I’m high.

Absolutely. Also, the singer/songwriter type of artist fell out of favor in the 80s in favor of the big flashy pop stars like Madonna, Prince and Michael Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 134July 1, 2020 5:56 PM

"Carly Simon never even resembled young Lauren Bacall's foot."

That's correct. Carly Simon resembled Lauren Bacall's horse.

by Anonymousreply 135July 1, 2020 8:04 PM

I read that stations were paid to play "Jesse."

That surprised me, as it is a very catchy song. Unlike almost everything else on that album. It was about the only song on "Come Upstairs" that sounded like a Carly Simon song.

by Anonymousreply 136July 1, 2020 8:04 PM

Only other song from Carly Simon have liked is "Coming Around Again". Liked as it didn't turn radio off or change channel when it came on, but wouldn't go out and actually buy.

Thanks to film Heartburn the song was everywhere it seemed.

Like her earlier work "That's The Way I've Always Heard It Should Be", CAA is about a woman's view point on life. This time instead of a hesitant young woman about to marry, we have an older wife/mother from the same sort of suburban upper middle class background wondering about her life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137July 1, 2020 8:18 PM

Coming Around Again's lyrics are like a poem. Very clever.

by Anonymousreply 138July 1, 2020 9:53 PM

Coming Around Again's lyrics are like a poem. Very clever.

by Anonymousreply 139July 1, 2020 9:53 PM

R60, huh?

Love her music- and Joni, and Judy, and Carol. All of them light years more creative and original than any current artist. Joni’s music is towering.

by Anonymousreply 140July 1, 2020 10:02 PM

r140 I'm Gen X and Karen Carpenter is more well-known and listened to among us than Linda or Carly. I know Boomers hate this because she's one of their icons, but Linda Ronstadt is not well-known at all among younger generations.

by Anonymousreply 141July 1, 2020 10:09 PM

Carpenters were smart to cover lesser known songs/hits. Linda covered big hits (e.g. Motown standards). Her versions were never going to endure.

by Anonymousreply 142July 1, 2020 10:10 PM

Linda Ronstadt was such a huge star in her day, but her legacy has not lasted much at all. Most people today who weren't around back then are like "Linda who?"

by Anonymousreply 143July 1, 2020 10:13 PM

"Coming Around Again"

Baby sneezes

Mummy pleases

Daddy breezes in

So good on paper

So romantic

But so bewildering

I know nothing stays the same

But if you're willing to play the game

It's coming around again

So don't mind if I fall apart

There's more room in a broken heart

You pay the grocer

You fix the toaster

You kiss the host Good-bye

Then you break a window

Burn the Souffle

Scream a lullaby

It's coming around again

So don't mind if I fall apart

There's more room in a broken heart

And I believe in love

But what else can I do

I'm so in love with you

It will be coming around again

[repeat and fade]

by Anonymousreply 144July 1, 2020 10:20 PM

Carly Simon, James Taylor, Janis Ian, Gordon Lightfoot, Jane Olivor, Christopher Cross and so many more songwriters/singers from 1970's and 1980's were just from a different time in music. Some of their works and or artists themselves have endured, others either way not so much.

Then again when you turn on the radio or however you listen to tunes it isn't any wonder. Much of what is out there today is garbage sung (if you could call it that) by people who cannot sing.

Back in 1970's or 1980's you could turn on radio and hear songs that moved you and or at least understood emotions behind the words.

by Anonymousreply 145July 1, 2020 10:25 PM

LInda Ronstadt for one was one of the most emotionless singers ever. She had a pretty and powerful voice but she didn't really know how to sing. She just blares or trembles her way through shit. That's why she's not remembered. Her musical interpretations are hollow and meaningless.

by Anonymousreply 146July 1, 2020 10:33 PM

Couldn’t agree more, Charlie (r140)...Joni deserved the Nobel for her lyrics as much or more than Dylan...

by Anonymousreply 147July 1, 2020 10:41 PM

I think that the album cover for Playing Possum was the sexiest and prettiest photograph of Carly Simon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148July 2, 2020 5:46 AM

exactly R128. she's very appealing to a certain demographic. i find her stuff unlistenable.

by Anonymousreply 149July 2, 2020 6:10 AM

Probably one of the few Linda Ronstadt songs have liked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150July 7, 2020 10:26 AM

My father had that album (the one OP’s photo is from). The photo is 70s style perfection. The nipples are mesmerizing.

Love Carly. Society girl made good.

by Anonymousreply 151July 7, 2020 10:41 AM

Her Greatest Hits Live album recorded in Martha’s Vineyard ~1986 is a masterpiece. Probably one of my top 5 favorite albums of all time. She is underrated in my opinion. I’m guessing she will eventually get the Linda Ronstadt treatment (adoring documentary, Kennedy Center Honor), and I would be ok with that.

by Anonymousreply 152July 7, 2020 11:19 AM

I'm not Linda's biggest fan (she has a couple stans on the DL music threads) but she can do heartfelt songs with plenty of emotion.

Exhibit A =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153July 9, 2020 5:38 PM

Rosemary Clooney wasn't far off needing an oxygen tank onstage but there's no comparison. Linda could produce sound. Rosemary Clooney was a singer. Rosie brought lyrics to life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154July 9, 2020 5:44 PM

She probably thinks this day is about her.

by Anonymousreply 155July 9, 2020 5:51 PM

Christopher Cross? Ewwww.

by Anonymousreply 156July 10, 2020 1:43 AM

R154 At least both women sang live. Poor Ella had to lipsynch her duet with Karen (to the Carpenters original recording!?), because Miss Carpenter didn't want to do it live. It had to be perfect.

Karen doing her white girl shimmy while Ella sitting at the bar looking like she's counting the seconds until this medley was over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157July 10, 2020 1:53 AM

That duet was gorgeous, whether it was lip synched or sung live.

by Anonymousreply 158July 10, 2020 2:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!