Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Black woman set on fire by white men in Wisconsin

On Wednesday (June 24), a Black woman in Madison, Wisconsin reportedly suffered third-degree burns after four white men threw lighter fluid and a lighter at her face while she was in her car. Speaking with Madison 365, 18-year-old EMT Althea Bernstein said the assailants yelled a racial slur at her before the attack.

“I was listening to some music at a stoplight and then all of a sudden I heard someone yell the N-word really loud,” she told the outlet. “I turned my head to look and somebody’s throwing lighter fluid on me. And then they threw a lighter at me, and my neck caught on fire and I tried to put it out, but I brushed it up onto my face. I got it out and then I just blasted through the red light... I just felt like I needed to get away. So I drove through the red light and just kept driving until I got to my brother’s [home].”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394March 10, 2021 6:59 PM

She is beautiful. I hope they all burn in Hell for what they did to her.

by Anonymousreply 1June 25, 2020 8:17 PM

Sadly all signs point to this being a hoax.

Her story keeps changing. She initially claimed the men threw lighter fluid on her, then that they used a spray bottle. Some were dressed in all black, some were in bright “floral” shirts.

She claims they yelled at her while she was driving, so her left side is exposed to them but the burns are all on the right side of her face.

She says after the event she drove to her brother’s house then her mom’s house. Her mother didn’t take her to the ER until the next day. This young woman is studying to be an EMT yet didn’t think to have her 2nd & 3rd degree burns attended to immediately?

No hair singe. Her brows and lashes are all there, even on the right side. The hair at her temples and the nape of the neck is all there and unsigned too.

These are not 2nd or 3rd degree burns. Even after scraping and cleansing at the ER, burns that deep don’t look like hers. These are most likely friction or abrasion burns.

She is very light skinned. At night, in the dark, a pack of roaming frat boys single out this girl in a car for a racist attack? Okay, then surely there is traffic cam footage?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 26, 2020 6:31 AM

Unfortunately this looks to be a young woman seeking out attention. She’s biracial and adopted, both her parents are white. This has been a common factor in some of these hoaxes: a biracial person, who is sometimes dismissed as “white” or an “Oreo” thinks being the victim of a racial hate crime will somehow affirm their blackness.

by Anonymousreply 3June 26, 2020 6:33 AM

Won't someone kill these guys who did this? The pay back needs to begin and I am not kidding.

by Anonymousreply 4June 26, 2020 6:50 AM

Those aren't burns, they're scrapes.

by Anonymousreply 5June 26, 2020 7:24 AM

Those are burns

by Anonymousreply 6June 26, 2020 7:26 AM

Yes. She hurt her own face all over for attention.

Whitey, I’ve invited you to come see me many times. You have yet to. Let’s see you be bold in person.

by Anonymousreply 7June 26, 2020 7:27 AM

People do crazy shit for attention.

by Anonymousreply 8June 26, 2020 7:29 AM

R7 a you are only 30 percent black, calm down.

by Anonymousreply 9June 26, 2020 7:30 AM

No. She didn’t permanently ruin her face for attention.

Again, come say this shit to my face.

by Anonymousreply 10June 26, 2020 7:32 AM

Yet another bullshit story from some mentally ill black with racial rage issues

She and jussie smollet should get a room to cry together

by Anonymousreply 11June 26, 2020 7:33 AM

R11 again, come run that mouth to my face. Or shall I expose your real identity and contact your employer? You pick.

by Anonymousreply 12June 26, 2020 7:39 AM

So sick of it all!!

by Anonymousreply 13June 26, 2020 7:39 AM

For r7

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 26, 2020 7:42 AM

R12 Try it!

by Anonymousreply 15June 26, 2020 7:42 AM

And to be fair from the other side

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 26, 2020 7:43 AM

R14 How do you know if R7 is white?

by Anonymousreply 17June 26, 2020 7:43 AM

R16 so are you admitting this woman made it up? I really don't see the point in posting that story...

by Anonymousreply 18June 26, 2020 7:44 AM

R7 and r10 seems to be expressing disbelief that a woman would injure her own face to fake a crime. I’m providing two examples that prove otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 19June 26, 2020 7:46 AM

Another example, discussed here on DL: Bethany Storro (sorry that the thread seems to have somehow gotten garbled).

Sadly, this is a real phenomenon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 26, 2020 8:22 AM

Here's the thread where we discussed the revelation of the Storro hoax.

This case is just like that one -- somethin' in the milk ain't clean.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 26, 2020 8:31 AM

R10 did you defend Jussie and call anyone that doubted his story a racist? I bet you did.

by Anonymousreply 22June 26, 2020 1:04 PM

R22 a is losing it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 26, 2020 2:59 PM

According to the local news the FBI has now taken over the case.

by Anonymousreply 24June 26, 2020 7:18 PM

Well, then it's probably just a matter of time before she confesses it was a hoax, r24.

Betting odds, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 25June 26, 2020 8:04 PM

They probably already have the confession. From here on out it’s just a PR strategy of when best to drop the news.

by Anonymousreply 26June 26, 2020 8:34 PM

Sounds like a hoax.

If I’m on fire or have suffered burns. I would pull over and try to get help, not drive through to my relative’s house.

Also if it’s true as some posts say, that her story has changed including important elements of the attack, then yes it’s looking like a hoax. Just like that girl who said some racist classmates cut off her hair at school.

I feel sorry for people who instigate hoaxes because they likely have unresolved psychological issues. On the other hand, their need to be victims is being encouraged by the current narrative and social climate promoted by hardcore left. Victim status is mow something to be coveted and proud of, so now we have young people clamoring to claim victimization. It induces some psychologically unbalanced people to commit hoaxes because the desire is so great to be an individual recognized as a victim, collective victimhood aside.

by Anonymousreply 27June 26, 2020 8:57 PM

They have a serious personality disorder.

by Anonymousreply 28June 26, 2020 9:18 PM

In somewhat related news, one of the black men found hanged to death in California was definitively ruled a suicide; there was surveillance video.

by Anonymousreply 29June 26, 2020 10:20 PM

I think it's a hoax too. Someone with mental issues or just your run of the mill attention whore. Her story and the "injuries" don't add up. Are there plenty of MAGAts who would do this? There are but I don't think that's what happened here.

by Anonymousreply 30June 26, 2020 11:49 PM

But OP and r10 a says no way it can not be a hoax who would hurt themselves for attention??

by Anonymousreply 31June 26, 2020 11:56 PM

People DO fake hate crimes all the time even if that is a small % of the crimes. Remember the Duke lacrosse case?

by Anonymousreply 32June 26, 2020 11:58 PM

She was free-basing in her Hyundai Sonata, and her hair caught fire! She doesn't want her parents to find out she been bangin' dudes after school (in spite of the quarantine) and is totally pregnant! So, she made up the story to soften the blow that she's a WHORE and smokes crack!!!!! Now she's gunning to get on "Teen Mom" to become an influencer, and become a rich and famous train wreck!

by Anonymousreply 33June 27, 2020 12:26 AM

Free-basing in a Hyundai, how gauche. Have the dignity of at least doing it in a Lexus. At the very least.

by Anonymousreply 34June 27, 2020 2:11 AM

[quote] Again, come say this shit to my face.

And it's such a big face too, a.

Almost as big as your big talk!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 27, 2020 2:18 AM

Faking hate crimes happens all the time

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 27, 2020 1:56 PM

Fake news

Women fake assaults all the time for attention

by Anonymousreply 37June 27, 2020 1:59 PM

I'm sorry - but as soon as I saw the interview, I thought this has a high chance of being a fake.

Sadly - she seems like a beautiful and lovely young woman. But there's a lot about this that is hard to believe.

by Anonymousreply 38June 27, 2020 2:10 PM

R38 Same here. Something about that her in that interview didn't seem right.

And if it turns out to be a hoax, the Trump cultists will gobble this up like a thick, juicy steak.

by Anonymousreply 39June 27, 2020 2:22 PM

Does anyone remember the Canadian woman last year who pretended to have been cut in the face by a random attacker? She put these shallow, neat fingernail wounds on one cheek and took selfies. It is really pathetic. Judging from FB, some people never outgrow this and post all the time about their various ailments.

by Anonymousreply 40June 27, 2020 2:23 PM

What was on her Walkman?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 27, 2020 2:27 PM

Meghan Sparkle has inserted herself into this incident.

Holy shit, when this hoax is revealed, Meghan's gonna have to run for cover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 29, 2020 5:41 PM

R42, finally a silver lining to all of this. Maybe she'll head back to England for good.

by Anonymousreply 43June 29, 2020 5:45 PM

I’m sorry, HOW does an 18-year old get hired as an EMT? That’s frightening. Although I recall a plot about that on “Shameless”.

Anyway, it does sound hoaxy. I’m always interested in these stories. Having something written or carved or branded on the body is a telltale sign.

by Anonymousreply 44June 29, 2020 6:10 PM

R44, 18 years is the mininum age threshold to be an EMT.

by Anonymousreply 45June 29, 2020 6:18 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how she got burned on the right side of her face when she says the guys came up to her while she was driving and threw lighter fluid onto her. That would burn the left side of her face. I find it hard to believe a bunch of racists would come up on the passenger's side of the car and throw lighter fluid on her when they could get to her more easily on the driver's side.

And if they did attack her from the passenger's side, you'd expect her to have burns kind of all over the right side of her face. Her injuries look very concentrated, like they were inflicted at close range.

There has to be surveillance camera footage out there if this really happened.

by Anonymousreply 46June 29, 2020 6:23 PM

the FBI has been on the case for a few days. surprised they haven't released any suspect sketches or surveillance video from the crosswalk or made any statements

by Anonymousreply 47June 29, 2020 6:25 PM

R46 i think the hospital photos were just reversed on the news. in another interview the wounds were on the left side

by Anonymousreply 48June 29, 2020 6:26 PM

R48 You're right. I just watched her interview and burns are on the left.

by Anonymousreply 49June 29, 2020 6:30 PM

Yes the photos were reversed.

But those are not 2nd or 3rd degree burns regardless. 3rd degree and you would see the skin peeled back in layers all the way down to the yellow fatty tissue and muscle. They’re not 2nd degree either since there is no blistering which is what happens when a burn penetrates the epidermis (top skin layer) down to the dermis (second layer).

They look like road rash. She might’ve fallen while running and hit her face. There were protests in Madison that night maybe three blocks from where she said this occurred. Maybe she was a part of them, the cops came and she and other protestors took off. Seems plausible.

by Anonymousreply 50June 29, 2020 6:33 PM

This still seems fishy. In her interview, she did the crying thing where no tears come out.

She said they used a spray bottle on her. A spray bottle would spread the lighter fluid all over her face. If her face caught fire, wouldn't there be burns all over her face and not just in those very concentrated spots? Wouldn't her hair be singed, too? Wouldn't she have burns on her left arm? Wouldn't her clothes have burns on them? Has anyone seen what she was wearing when she was attacked?

She said they tossed a lighter into the car. Was the lighter recovered?

by Anonymousreply 51June 29, 2020 6:34 PM

R50 The first thing I thought when I saw the scars was that they looked like scrapes, not burns. Even when I've burned myself, like when my arm hits the iron or I accidentally pick up a hot cookie sheet or something, I'll blister. And when the blistering subsides, the scars don't look like the scars she has.

by Anonymousreply 52June 29, 2020 6:39 PM

supposedly the claim is that the rash appearance is from the nurses scrubbing off the lighter fluid

by Anonymousreply 53June 29, 2020 6:43 PM

Watch her in this interview. Tell tale signs of attention seeking.

At the :37 mark, she "cries" without tears and talks about how she can't sleep and has no appetite.

Then at the 1:52 mark, she "cries" without tears again and says she hopes her attackers "see all the responses" (i.e, see how much attention I've gotten and how people love me now?) and that they know "they hurt her" (i.e., I've been hurt and victimized throughout my life and I want people to know it).

I dunno. It could be legit, but she just comes across as very Munchausen-ey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 29, 2020 6:47 PM

R53 To the doctors and nurses on DL, are burns normally treated by scrubbing?

by Anonymousreply 55June 29, 2020 6:49 PM

R55 I don't know, but whenever I've burned myself, the last thing I'd think of doing is scrubbing the burn. Running water on it, putting ointment on it, yes. But scrubbing it? Hell, no,

by Anonymousreply 56June 29, 2020 6:50 PM

I will give her the benefit of the doubt until I hear otherwise -- but is it possible to throw a lighter and it stay lighted as it races through the air? People throw matches to terrorize people but the flame is out when it lands (I thought).

by Anonymousreply 57June 29, 2020 6:53 PM

She’s lying.

She’s lying.

She’s lying.

by Anonymousreply 58June 29, 2020 6:55 PM

As soon as I read the first two lines, I knew it was a hoax. All of these hoax stories just *sound* a certain way. Something about them never rings true.

by Anonymousreply 59June 29, 2020 6:55 PM

R57 Yeah. It seems they'd have to hold the lighter right up to her face.

And what kind of lighter was it? Most lighters I've seen, you have to hold the lighter down in order for the flame to come out. When you let go, the flame goes out. I can't see how tossing a lighter would actually burn her.

by Anonymousreply 60June 29, 2020 6:58 PM

I’m with R57 on this. I don’t want to rush to judgment because of past incidents. If it happened I truly feel sorry for her.

by Anonymousreply 61June 29, 2020 6:59 PM

Lighter fluid comes in a squirt bottle. Lighter fluid drips down and evaporates quickly. Zippo lighters are the only lighters that will stay lit without assistance. I can’t think of any other lighter that will stay lit without manual pressure on a trigger. Any other lighter will go out as soon as it leaves your hand. Zipped aren’t cheap or disposable.

A portion of her hair would have caught fire if there had been an accelerant-based flame on her face.

Fortunately for her, she’s built in her “I’m too traumatized to remember any details”.

by Anonymousreply 62June 29, 2020 7:00 PM

The other part of this story that makes me suspicious - she says it was a group of men who attacked her.

Most fake attack stories always seem to involve more than one person or a violent group - rarely a lone person doing the attacking.

It's like she's trying to create the most scary story she can to garner sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 63June 29, 2020 7:03 PM

R61 I would like to give her the benefit of the doubt. It's such a horrific story that I hope she wouldn't make up something so awful.

But the logical person in me just sees lots of flaws in this narrative. If she's lying, it really insults true victims of racism and just feeds the right wing fanatics intent on disproving systemic racism.

by Anonymousreply 64June 29, 2020 7:08 PM

No surveillance camera at a red light?

by Anonymousreply 65June 29, 2020 7:14 PM

[quote] supposedly the claim is that the rash appearance is from the nurses scrubbing off the lighter fluid

The lighter fluid would’ve evaporated long before she went to the hospital— which was hours after the supposed attack.

[quote] To the doctors and nurses on DL, are burns normally treated by scrubbing?

It’s called debridemebt and it is sometimes used in the case of very severe burns, like 3rd degree. It would not be used on the superficial wounds on this young woman’s face. A burn, if it is one, like hers would be treated with gel (KY no joke!) and gauze.

by Anonymousreply 66June 29, 2020 7:16 PM

R66 But didn't they say she had 3rd degree burns?

by Anonymousreply 67June 29, 2020 7:17 PM

[quote] No surveillance camera at a red light?

They are multiple cameras at the intersection where she claimed this happened. The cops said they’re reviewing them.

by Anonymousreply 68June 29, 2020 7:18 PM

[quote] But didn't they say she had 3rd degree burns?

No, she has claimed she had 2nd and 3rd degree burns. The doctors and the cops have not commented.

Read her statements and the news articles carefully. You’ll see that all of the info so far has come from this young woman, not authorities. Cops have only released what she’s claimed in her statement. And unless she has allowed her doctors to disclose her private medical history, they can’t say a thing about her thanks to HIPAA.

by Anonymousreply 69June 29, 2020 7:22 PM

Is the silence from law enforcement a clue here?

I hope not because hoaxes like this hurt true victims.

by Anonymousreply 70June 29, 2020 7:25 PM

R68 How come we haven't seen the surveillance camera tapes? The tapes in the George Floyd case were released before anyone was charged. Surveillance camera videos are on the news all the time.

I wonder if the videos haven't been released because there's nothing to be released.

by Anonymousreply 71June 29, 2020 7:28 PM

I have a feeling Meghan Markle's gonna end up regretting making this one of her pet causes.

by Anonymousreply 72June 29, 2020 7:35 PM

Sorry, but this story has way too many holes in it.

She'll only be hurting the BLM cause, once exposed.

by Anonymousreply 73June 29, 2020 7:47 PM

[quote] I'm still trying to figure out how she got burned on the right side of her face when she says the guys came up to her while she was driving and threw lighter fluid onto her.

Maybe she was driving an Astin-Martin

by Anonymousreply 74June 29, 2020 7:50 PM

Wow, R72.

Did MM really?

by Anonymousreply 75June 29, 2020 7:51 PM

R75 Yes, see R42.

by Anonymousreply 76June 29, 2020 8:22 PM

I also find it interesting that the only official statement we have from her family is the following:

“We feel it’s in the best interest of Althea to heal and to seek treatment.”

There's a whole lot to unpack in that statement.

by Anonymousreply 77June 29, 2020 8:34 PM

I think the family are setting up their defense if this proves to have been a hoax. They will claim she’s dealing with mental illness or trauma from her past abuse. The media’s angle will be something like, the racist microagressions of being a biracial woman in America caused her to do this!

Interesting to note the family have a spokesman doing their PR. This guy, Michael Johnson, posted on Facebook the other day that instead of donating directly to the family (from the start they refused any donations 🤔) they want people to donate to the Madison area Boys & Girls Club which just happens to be run by Michael Johnson.

by Anonymousreply 78June 29, 2020 9:31 PM

R78 Yes, I noticed that. The family won't speak publicly and won't accept donations. They know Althea's got some mental issues goin' on and the don't want to be seen as complicit in any of this.

But the family spokesperson seems to be taking full advantage. Donate to my Boys and Girls Club!

This story gets more and more weird with each passing day.

by Anonymousreply 79June 29, 2020 9:35 PM

Another hoax-like statement that she gave was her description of her attackers as typical white frat boys and something about them wearing dark shirts. When dumb people lie about fake attackers they’ll use trite or stereotypical words to describe the assailants while giving nonspecific details like color of clothing as opposed to physical descriptions.

The fact that law enforcement officials have not released any pleas to the public to help find these racist morons who attacked her, this is concerning for her supporters. I also do sense that she may have mental health issues that contributed to her actions. Maybe that is what her defense will be when truth is out.

by Anonymousreply 80June 29, 2020 9:46 PM

r79, interesting that the family has refused donations. I will withhold judgement until more facts are in.

I don't know why you would jump to this being an hoax for attention. My thoughts of it being made up are to get a Go FUND me account going. I don't think people are out there doing shit to themselves, making up elaborate hoaxes to be victims and get attention, they want money.

Jussie was in contract negotiations, he wanted to raise his profile to get more MONEY. Fuck mental illness if it's fake this teenager watched that starbucks employee get money and she thought I could get more money than my folks want to give me.

by Anonymousreply 81June 29, 2020 9:46 PM

R81 There are plenty examples of people making up attack stories or harming themselves for attention, not for money. That's Munchausen syndrome.

This girl seems emotionally unstable. Just based on her demeanor and what she said in the interview, I'm smelling a koo koo bird.

by Anonymousreply 82June 29, 2020 9:54 PM

It's crazy that she went so far as to set herself on fire, or try, but that story sounds made up.

Much too simplistic and politically convenient. If this was a real attack, it would have most likely been one guy and he wouldn't have done it out in full view. Odds are very heavy that he wouldn't be white, either. White men go on shooting rampages.

Since she claims this happened at a stoplight on a public street, there will security camera footage available to verify. It most likely won't show any white men in her vicinity.

Reminds me of Ashley Todd, the Republican who carved a B into her own face and claimed a group of big strong black men attacked her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 29, 2020 9:56 PM

R80 Yes, the vague "white frat boy" description is suspicious. True, she may not have gotten a good look at the attackers, but to describe them in such a stereotypical fashion kind of points to her concocting a very "good black girl victimized by mean white boys" fantasy in her head.

by Anonymousreply 84June 29, 2020 9:59 PM

R83 Oh, I remember this genius. She carved the "B" in her face while looking in the mirror, so it ended up being backward on her face. Brilliant!

by Anonymousreply 85June 29, 2020 10:23 PM

Google the murders of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom. There’s a real hate crime.

Not this fake news.

by Anonymousreply 86June 29, 2020 10:35 PM

[quote] R11 again, come run that mouth to my face. Or shall I expose your real identity and contact your employer? You pick.

Beware, r11! will not be afraid to report you to his uncle the lieutenant!

by Anonymousreply 87June 29, 2020 10:39 PM

This whole story is very Sherri Papini-ish.

by Anonymousreply 88June 29, 2020 10:44 PM

r84, well every one white always says it was a black guy, so why not do it back.

r83, you seem so sure of everything. Let's wait and see the security footage because if there are some white guys in her vicinity you will feel stupid. You can say you aren't buying this story but you aren't clairvoyant .

by Anonymousreply 89June 29, 2020 10:52 PM

R89 Therein lies another issue. The police say they're looking at surveillance footage. Why hasn't it been released, if for no other reason than to help identify the attackers?

I'm guessing we haven't seen the surveillance footage because there's nothing to see.

by Anonymousreply 90June 29, 2020 10:54 PM

This has got be the tenth thread in a week where evil white supremacists supposedly committed a hate crime and yet there is zero proof. Hoax after hoax after hoax has taught me that if it seems fake it's probably fake. Luckily for her (or not) the police are obligated to take this seriously.

by Anonymousreply 91June 29, 2020 10:58 PM

It’s Madison. Of course there are going to be white people R89. 🙄

But Madison is also liberal. Just like Chicago, but we saw what happened to poor hate crime victim Jussie Smollett.

by Anonymousreply 92June 29, 2020 11:00 PM

Looks like carpet burns...

by Anonymousreply 93June 29, 2020 11:00 PM

As soon as I saw this story on TV I immediately suspected a case of the Jussie’s.

by Anonymousreply 94June 29, 2020 11:00 PM

There’s a big old camera right at the intersection where this incident is supposed to have occurred.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95June 29, 2020 11:23 PM

It's easy to fool people. I'm also getting sick of Starbucks barista gets 80k from Gofundme because,ofcrazy anti-masker. So easy for scam artists to set this up and split the money.

by Anonymousreply 96June 29, 2020 11:46 PM

[quote] [R83], you seem so sure of everything. Let's wait and see the security footage because if there are some white guys in her vicinity you will feel stupid.

LOL

That will be proof positive!

by Anonymousreply 97June 29, 2020 11:48 PM

Her shallow superficial burns remind me of Jussie's noose made of string.

by Anonymousreply 98June 29, 2020 11:50 PM

Echoes of Tawana Brawley?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99June 29, 2020 11:53 PM

All of these fake racial attacks seem to involve a light-skinned biracial person.

by Anonymousreply 100June 30, 2020 12:07 AM

Tawana Brawley 2020

by Anonymousreply 101June 30, 2020 12:07 AM

[quote]A spray bottle would spread the lighter fluid all over her face. If her face caught fire, wouldn't there be burns all over her face and not just in those very concentrated spots? Wouldn't her hair be singed, too? Wouldn't she have burns on her left arm? Wouldn't her clothes have burns on them?

Yes. Yes. Yes. and Yes. And also her eyes would be seriously irritated and injured from being sprayed with lighter fluid.

by Anonymousreply 102June 30, 2020 12:20 AM

FAKE.

by Anonymousreply 103June 30, 2020 12:20 AM

It really puzzles me why Markle Sparkle would want get herself inserted into this. I mean, on its face (no pun intended), it just seems very suspicious. You'd think Markle would have "people" who would research this stuff for her and advise as to whether it would be a good PR move to get involved.

This whole case has so many red flags all over it, I'm surprised they let Markle get involved. This looks like a disaster in the making.

by Anonymousreply 104June 30, 2020 12:24 AM

If this is a hoax (and I strongly suspect it is), I do feel sorry for her in a way. She's basically ruined her life.

by Anonymousreply 105June 30, 2020 12:26 AM

I could see Meghan Markle pulling a scam like this at some point. This is right up her malignant narcissism alley.

by Anonymousreply 106June 30, 2020 12:27 AM

R104 Ellen Page got roped into Jussie's bullshit the same way. Some celebrities are looking for a certain victim to champion who suits their identity and area of activism. Some celebrities are none too bright.

by Anonymousreply 107June 30, 2020 12:37 AM

When you search Althea's name, five stories about Markle come up -- it's a PR type move to insert yourself into a story until it becomes about you.. She supposedly has a slick PR agency but this poor choice screams Markle's own hand. There are several GoFundMes by the way, with thousands collected.

by Anonymousreply 108June 30, 2020 12:55 AM

R107 A lot of celebs got duped by Hoaxssie. Meg is so dumb sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 109June 30, 2020 12:56 AM

I haven't heard any other celebs support this one, except for Markle and dumb Prince Harry.

by Anonymousreply 110June 30, 2020 12:59 AM

The burn injuries on her face just happened to miss her eyes/ eyebrows and hair. This is nearly impossible in an actual attack and I’m sure the medical staff at the hospital where she was taken for treatment a day later would note this on the medical chart. If this is a hoax her dumbest move was to go seek medical treatment since those records now are part of the official investigation. Medical staff are legally bound to chart their findings and the statements of the patient.

by Anonymousreply 111June 30, 2020 1:01 AM

She's telling da truff!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112June 30, 2020 1:03 AM

R111 Wasn't it her mother who urged her to get medical attention? Didn't she say she drove home instead of to the hospital at first, and that her mother convinced her to call the nurse's advice line or something? Then the nurses told her to call an ambulance, but the girl ended up driving herself to the emergency room instead.

Sounds like she probably didn't want to go the hospital, but after being pressured by her mother and the nurses on the advice line, she probably thought it would look more suspicious if she didn't go.

by Anonymousreply 113June 30, 2020 1:05 AM

She also said the hospital staff told her to wait to call the police until the next day when the pain medication they gave her had worn off. No fucking way any hospital personnel treating injuries from an alleged hate crime would tell a patient to wait to call the police.

This story is bullshit. And that pisses me off, because there are people out there who are ACTUAL victims of racist violence. Many of them have died because of it.

And now we're listening to this unbalanced, overweight, friendliess girl make up a BS story to get some attention and coin. Shame on her. I hope she's charged with filing a false police report.

by Anonymousreply 114June 30, 2020 1:10 AM

Well, she is mentally troubled if she did this to herself, so...

I feel sorry for her family.

by Anonymousreply 115June 30, 2020 1:10 AM

R108 Interesting, though, and very telling that her own family has refused any donations due to this alleged attack.

by Anonymousreply 116June 30, 2020 1:11 AM

Sparkly Markly's gonna have to fire her PR team once this story is exposed as a lie.

by Anonymousreply 117June 30, 2020 1:13 AM

R115 Which is why the only statement the family has released is this. And I think this says it all:

“We feel it’s in the best interest of Althea to heal and to seek treatment.”

by Anonymousreply 118June 30, 2020 1:15 AM

Someone that just had a flammable liquid sprayed in their face and then lit on fire... is not going to be capable of driving anywhere immediately afterward. This is complete bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 119June 30, 2020 1:17 AM

R114 Yeah that statement was self-incriminating because of course we medical professionals are going to lose our licenses by telling victims of assault to file police reports until they’re less high.

by Anonymousreply 120June 30, 2020 1:19 AM

^^^meant to say not file until they’re less high

by Anonymousreply 121June 30, 2020 1:20 AM

She needs treatment but not of the medical type. Voluntary confinement at inpatient psych hospital.

by Anonymousreply 122June 30, 2020 1:25 AM

R114 My partner is a nurse practitioner who works in the ER, and he said if a person came to the hospital with burns on their face claiming they had just been set on fire in a racist attack, the first thing he would ask them is if they called the police. If the person said "no," the hospital would call and have an officer come to the ER to take their statement, pain medication or not.

My guess is that she lied and told the ER personnel that she had already talked to the police.

by Anonymousreply 123June 30, 2020 1:26 AM

R114 My partner is a nurse practitioner who works in the ER, and he said if a person came to the hospital with burns on their face claiming they had just been set on fire in a racist attack, the first thing he would ask them is if they called the police. If the person said "no," the hospital would call and have an officer come to the ER to take their statement, pain medication or not.

My guess is that she lied and told the ER personnel that she had already talked to the police.

by Anonymousreply 124June 30, 2020 1:26 AM

R122 That's probably what her family was trying to convey by issuing that statement from R118.

by Anonymousreply 125June 30, 2020 1:27 AM

Althea Smollett.

by Anonymousreply 126June 30, 2020 1:38 AM

She first drove to her brother’s and then home to mom; she didn’t go to the hospital until hours later. She probably wanted brother’s help in figuring out a likely story for whatever trouble she was in.

Her mother seems fully invested in the narrative. Here’s her FB post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127June 30, 2020 1:48 AM

R127 That post was the day after the incident. Mom's been pretty quiet since.

So she gets set on fire and drives to her brother's place, then to her mom's, goes to the hospital later, and doesn't report it to the police until the next day?

Yeah, no.

by Anonymousreply 128June 30, 2020 1:52 AM

The family sounds crazy. Althea was homeschooled, I wonder why? Did she have adjustment or emotional issues at school or mom was one of those crazy parents who homeschool kids because schools are essential for intellectual and social development?

by Anonymousreply 129June 30, 2020 1:57 AM

^^^schools are not essential

I think the only mitigating factor is actual mental illness contributing to false police report/ hoax. That said, she is not mentally ill to the point of not knowing right from wrong. So she should still be charged with making false police report. Just because you’ve got emotional issues it doesn’t absolve you of legal retribution.

by Anonymousreply 130June 30, 2020 2:03 AM

The home schooling probably has a lot to do with her emotional state today.

She seems quite disconnected and probably hasn't had many opportunities to learn how to interact socially.

This "attack" seems like a cry for attention and help.

by Anonymousreply 131June 30, 2020 2:05 AM

I believe her.

by Anonymousreply 132June 30, 2020 2:05 AM

When I learned of this story I immediately thought of the recent footage of a cop set on fire during protests. I believe it was outside the US. The method was identical. Lighter fluid, then a thrown lighter That video was ubiquitous online

It could be it gave some MAGAs an idea to strike or it may have influenced this woman's actions

by Anonymousreply 133June 30, 2020 2:20 AM

^^the clip. Mexico

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134June 30, 2020 2:26 AM

This is what lighter fluid burns to the face look like r133.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135June 30, 2020 3:57 AM

R130

Also, her being charged could be a prelude to forcing her to get help. Something that gets lost in this emphasis on "depolicing" is that it's impossible to get mentally unwell people help unless they're facing criminal prosecution. Even then, they usually can only be cajoled into it via the carrot of mental health treatment vs. the stick of incarceration.

by Anonymousreply 136June 30, 2020 4:29 AM

R135. Those pics look very much like the accusers burns before they were cleaned

by Anonymousreply 137June 30, 2020 4:34 AM

How long does it take to review surveillance footage when the time of the incident is known?

by Anonymousreply 138June 30, 2020 4:42 AM

The longer time there is between reported attack and law enforcement imploring for public’s help in finding perpetrators, the more likely it’s looking to be a hoax.

I just watched her interview clip on GMA a few days ago. She looked rehearsed in body language. After each sentence describing how she felt and how she’s coping, she would pause to make a sad or emotional expression. There’s something off about her eyes, they don’t match her facial expressions. Her eyes dart left and right as well as open wide in almost astonishment. To me she came off from those clips as emotionally unwell.

by Anonymousreply 139June 30, 2020 4:48 AM

Could the work left please stop “helping?”

by Anonymousreply 140June 30, 2020 4:51 AM

[quote] In somewhat related news, one of the black men found hanged to death in California was definitively ruled a suicide; there was surveillance video.

Oh this is horrible. I hope his family has the good sense NOT to view it. The families of victims always think they should see the victim and know every gory detail of their deaths but in reality the facts can scar you for life and leave you with images of your loved one you shouldn't have to live with, and some people end up not being able to live with those images.

by Anonymousreply 141June 30, 2020 4:56 AM

BLM doesn't need looters, hoaxers and virtue-signallers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142June 30, 2020 5:20 AM

Beautiful girl. Shame she's just another lying sack of shit promoting more division. Hope she spends some time in jail.

by Anonymousreply 143June 30, 2020 9:56 AM

R139 It was watching her interview that initially made me suspicious of her story. You're right - her body language and reactions were "off," and the fact that she would cry without evoking tears was a big "tell" for me.

Overweight girl, home schooled, probably doesn't have a lot of, if any, friends, biracial, sees an opportunity to get some attention in the middle of these racially charged times.

Apparently, there are surveillance cameras all over where she says she was attacked. If the attack had been captured on any of those cameras, law enforcement would have released the footage and asked for the public's help to identify the attackers. No word from the police on surveillance camera footage. That's because it didn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 144June 30, 2020 11:35 AM

Her 'burns' don't add up.

by Anonymousreply 145June 30, 2020 11:37 AM

At least I was smart enough to get myself on a security camera.

by Anonymousreply 146June 30, 2020 11:58 AM

Marc Feldman is one of the world's experts on factitious disorders. This includes factitious victimization (as in, a hoax like this). It screams borderline personality.

It's a fascinating and depressing psychopathology. This book is interesting.

I wrote this on another thread, but factitious disorder is a milder form of Munchhausen syndrome. Real Munchhausen is a severe disorder. Most of its victims are male and homeless, and they wander from city to city in search of hospitals that will treat them. They also develop what's called "gridiron abdomen" -- basically a mass of scar tissue from so many surgeries. One Munchhausen patient (who eventually committed suicide) kept reinfecting wounds. He had had almost all of his fingers and toes amputated as a result.

Munchhausen patients very rarely admit to their behavior. When confronted, they flee. They sometimes kill themselves unwittingly, in their efforts to remain sick. (They have a penchant, for example, of reinfecting their wounds with feces.)

There is a subtype of factitious disorder, Ganser's syndrome, in which patients pretend to be mentally ill. I remember reading some study that concluded Ganser patients who fake schizophrenia have a worse prognosis (after ten years I think) than actual schizophrenics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147June 30, 2020 12:19 PM

R12 fuck you nigger.

by Anonymousreply 148June 30, 2020 12:23 PM

Revolt (magazine?) has won many Pulitzers, yes?

by Anonymousreply 149June 30, 2020 12:25 PM

I like how dumsbhit DLers believes this fabulist negress. She’s lucky her simian ancestors got shipped. If she tried that shit in Africa she’d be rolling on spit with a fork up her ass

by Anonymousreply 150June 30, 2020 12:28 PM

The only ones here who believe her are the unhinged New Yorker, and the Strong Independent Women Who Don't Need No Man (who are interlopers from that other board).

by Anonymousreply 151June 30, 2020 12:39 PM

You could make that point, R150, ut being racist scum. Take the fork, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 152June 30, 2020 12:39 PM

R137 is blind.

by Anonymousreply 153June 30, 2020 12:46 PM

Has Jussie Smollet commented yet?

by Anonymousreply 154June 30, 2020 12:50 PM

R149 The interview that appears on Revolt's website is from Good Morning America.

But thanks for stopping by.

by Anonymousreply 155June 30, 2020 12:54 PM

Chemical peeling gone wrong ?

Bitch needs a refund.

by Anonymousreply 156June 30, 2020 1:07 PM

In that interview, she's says, "I hope the men who did this see all the responses." That's it right there, folks. Attention seeker.

Instead of talking about the trauma of the incident itself, one of the first thing she talks about is all the responses she's gotten to her story. Definitely unbalanced.

Someone upthread also mentioned her darting eyes. Yes, they're all over the place, and she rarely looks into the camera. People who lie have a tendency to look away, rather than focus directly.

by Anonymousreply 157June 30, 2020 1:17 PM

R117 Nah. She'll turn her "cause" to supporting mental health for biracial children.

by Anonymousreply 158June 30, 2020 1:25 PM

I like her. She's got pretty eyes like me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159June 30, 2020 1:30 PM

There was another hoaxer who was faking a pregnancy and disappeared. After she reappeared, her family put out a gracious statement thanking everyone for their concern, made a discreet acknowledgment that she was getting the help she needed and asked for privacy. It put a stop to the speculation and that’s the last we ever heard of it.

Sounds like that’s what this family should do.

by Anonymousreply 160June 30, 2020 1:57 PM

I still cackle at Snow queen/tik tok troll a’s tough chola act at r12. This is a fat queen that loves to stay home wear a snuggie and sip tea and watch “sweet magnolias” on Netflix(she even thinks that show deserves emmy awards ) lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161June 30, 2020 1:59 PM

R160 Didn't they already kind of do that with their cryptic "let her heal and seek treatment" statement?

by Anonymousreply 162June 30, 2020 1:59 PM

Her skin does look fabulous after the chemical peel

by Anonymousreply 163June 30, 2020 2:01 PM

R161 in the Latina equivalent to Matt Anscher: unfuckable losers who spams DL with useless posts, threatens other posters and then expects love and respect.

He really should kill him self.

by Anonymousreply 164June 30, 2020 2:04 PM

She should have fought the fuck back.

by Anonymousreply 165June 30, 2020 2:16 PM

This hoax should not just quietly go away and the family should release more than just a cryptic statement of “let her heal”. Althea should apologize publicly for trying to publicly incite violence knowing full well the possible sequelae of racial events fomenting more animus and violence. She may have psych issues but she does know right from wrong. Being a fantasist dreaming of attention for being a victim and perpetuating lies, it speaks to a level of deception that’s consistent with traits of personality disorder, among other possible diagnoses. It does not mean that she’s so incapacitated that she doesn’t know the negative consequences of her lies.

by Anonymousreply 166June 30, 2020 2:35 PM

R166 I agree! And this young woman is supposedly studying to become an EMT.

Unless she gets some help, I don't want her anywhere near me in a medical emergency.

by Anonymousreply 167June 30, 2020 2:37 PM

This woman reminds me so much of a girl I worked with many, many years ago when I was just out school and was a bank teller. There was another teller there, a pretty girl who was very nice, but who always struck me as being a bit "off."

One day, she came to work with a big scratch across her left cheek and said she had been out jogging and a guy had run up to her and randomly attacked her, then ran off. Everybody felt awful for her, but I thought it was a weird story.

Shortly after that, one of the other tellers at the bank started getting threatening letters mailed to her home saying someone was going to kill her and that people hated her. There were details in the letters about this teller that I believed only co-workers would have known, and I was immediately suspicious about the odd girl.

I went to my supervisor and said I had a feeling this girl was mailing the threatening letters. My supervisor thought I was crazy, and since I didn't have any proof, nothing could be done. The other teller got the police involved, and within a couple of weeks, they had traced the letters back to the sweet, odd girl.

I remember being at work one day and seeing the girl's father come into the bank and quietly escort her out. She never came back to work. Apparently, the teller receiving the threatening letters had agreed not to press charges as long as the girl agreed to get psychiatric help.

I knew this girl was a little cuckoo from the start, and there's so much about this girl who claims she was set on fire that reminds me of this crazy teller girl - her demeanor, her darting eyes, the cadence of her speech.

by Anonymousreply 168June 30, 2020 2:54 PM

R168, you seem to have good instincts. Too many people try to make us doubt our instincts and our well honed intuition. Don't let them - they often are what keep us safe and alive.

by Anonymousreply 169June 30, 2020 3:47 PM

THIS GIRL IS ON FIRE!!!!

by Anonymousreply 170June 30, 2020 4:00 PM

You're terrible, r170.

by Anonymousreply 171June 30, 2020 4:06 PM

R169 I've always had a pretty good ability to sense crazy people. I think it's something in their eyes. And this girl definitely has something going on in her eyes.

by Anonymousreply 172June 30, 2020 4:31 PM

Okay, if you look at this girl, she's very light skinned and doesn't exactly have the features a dumbshit racist would react to. At night time, when this attack allegedly occurred, would four white frat guys (as she described them) really be able to see her in her car, recognize her as being African American, then call her the "n" word (like this girl claims) and set her on fire?

Hmmm. Not so sure.

by Anonymousreply 173June 30, 2020 4:49 PM

She claims to not be able to remember most of what happened. But somehow she remembers four white frat guy types? Four? Amazing how she got the exact number of attackers right, but can't remember much of anything else.

by Anonymousreply 174June 30, 2020 4:55 PM

I don't understand why the media runs with these dubious stories.

Remember this one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175June 30, 2020 4:57 PM

This is probably what’s going down right now. The FBI/ local law enforcement confronting her/ her family with proof that she lied. The family is trying to get her out of trouble by saying she’s cray cray here’s her psych team to attest for it. Now the ball is on FBI’s court whether or not to charge her while local officials hoping this will just quietly disappear without public demanding follow up. Media outlets also hoping the same because it runs counter to the popular narrative of believe all victims. Celebs including Meghan and her royal dullard husband will pray that no one calls tjem out for sheer stupidity and gullibility.

by Anonymousreply 176June 30, 2020 4:58 PM

My long term memory isn't what it used to be.

What happened with all the celebs who publicly supported Jussie when the hoax was revealed? Did they just ... lay low?

by Anonymousreply 177June 30, 2020 5:19 PM

[quote] At the :37 mark, she "cries" without tears and talks about how she can't sleep and [bold]has no appetite.[/bold]

At least some good came from this.

by Anonymousreply 178June 30, 2020 5:35 PM

R177 Most of them were conspicuous in their sudden silence.

by Anonymousreply 179June 30, 2020 5:36 PM

R178 You're terribuuuhl, Muriel!

by Anonymousreply 180June 30, 2020 5:38 PM

R177 I do believe Taraji P. Henson spoke out. She said she still loved Jussie, but that she was very disappointed in him. I don't recall reaction from other cast members from his show.

by Anonymousreply 181June 30, 2020 5:39 PM

I believe you're correct, R176. Although I still believe that when the truth comes out, Sparkle Plenty and Harry will end up spinning this as an example of how minorities - especially biracial individuals - are victimized and marginalized and bullied throughout their lives to the point that it takes a terrible toll on their emotional well being, and that we need to better support the mental health of biracial people.

by Anonymousreply 182June 30, 2020 5:44 PM

Meghan puts her foot in it again. Useless and THIRSTY.

by Anonymousreply 183June 30, 2020 5:48 PM

R169 Bullshit! You can't tell someone's crazy by looking at their eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184June 30, 2020 5:49 PM

Is everything about Megan Markle you insipid cunt r182?

News flash twat.....nobody care about Megan.

Stop trying to shoehorn your obsession with her into every thread, unfuckable cunt.

by Anonymousreply 185June 30, 2020 5:49 PM

R185 Sweetie, Meghan reached out to this girl and has made public statements about the incident. Try to keep up, okay?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186June 30, 2020 5:50 PM

Meth burns.

by Anonymousreply 187June 30, 2020 5:55 PM

In that picture of the girl in R186, she looks more Asian or Samoan than she does African American.

I can't see a bunch of guys looking at her in a car - AT NIGHT - and screaming "n**ger!"

I just can't see that.

by Anonymousreply 188June 30, 2020 5:56 PM

R188 She looks like a fat mexican soccer mom.

by Anonymousreply 189June 30, 2020 6:04 PM

Interesting how no friends of hers have stepped up to express support for her, which tells me that:

a) she either has no friends, or

b) the friends she does have know she's batshit crazy.

by Anonymousreply 190June 30, 2020 6:25 PM

This happened Jan 24th, the FBI is investigating, and any measured person would wait to hear their analysis of a questionable story -- NOT THE HARKLES. On Jan 30th they splash out big time in People with lots of super background factoids, plus bring in the slightly off "spokesman" for the girl and her family. Everyone relax, the Harkles have come to shine a light on a grievous situation!

by Anonymousreply 191June 30, 2020 7:09 PM

Bitch should've have had more diversity in her attackers. Mine were a Mexican dude and his white girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 192June 30, 2020 7:09 PM

R191 You mean June, not January, right?

by Anonymousreply 193June 30, 2020 7:12 PM

I don’t know what the fuck he means with that word salad, r193.

by Anonymousreply 194June 30, 2020 7:17 PM

For the suspect sketch, see OP's picture, r47.

by Anonymousreply 195June 30, 2020 8:17 PM

She looks Polynesian or Latina, not black.

Just 4 white frat boys cruising at evening hours looking for black driver to attack. Armed with unidentified flammable liquid and lighter. They sprayed the fluid into her face which miraculously managed to miss her eyes, eyebrows, and hair because the lighter thrown at her didn't light those places on fire.

by Anonymousreply 196June 30, 2020 8:39 PM

Meghan also wants to know when she can go talk to the people of Minnesota, to you know, talk to them about race relations because she's such an expert in Minnesota and racial politics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197June 30, 2020 8:42 PM

R196 Um, yeah. This isn't a girl a white racist would look at and scream, "N**ger!"

She said they squirted her with a spray bottle. Why would someone pour lighter fluid into a spray bottle? If your goal is to burn somebody, you just point the can of lighter fluid at them and squeeze it. It makes a direct hit. And her "burns" don't look like they're a result of lighter fluid sprayed from a spray bottle. If that were the case, she'd have burns all over her face.

Six days since the "attack" and no descriptions of the attackers, no sketches of them, no surveillance footage from the myriad of cameras in the vicinity, no pleas from the police to the public to help identify the attackers.

by Anonymousreply 198June 30, 2020 8:54 PM

Almost as fun as the "minister" in Austin who said Whole Foods, of all people, had written FAG on a cake he ordered. They had photos of how it looked when he took it home and of course he had written it himself. THIS is why I believe nothing blindly anymore, absolutely nothing. So many fucking nuts out there and we gays are not immune to it.

by Anonymousreply 199June 30, 2020 9:12 PM

R199 Oh, yeah. I remember that. Fucking idiot. That's something that can so easily be proven false.

by Anonymousreply 200June 30, 2020 9:16 PM

So sick of this shit. Up the fines for making up Hate Crimes. This crap hurts everybody.

This guy is a major asshole and if he is a minister, I'm Joan of Arc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201June 30, 2020 9:23 PM

Some of these people might as well just scream “I need attention NOW!”

by Anonymousreply 202June 30, 2020 9:28 PM

R202 Watch this girl's interview. She practically is.

by Anonymousreply 203June 30, 2020 9:29 PM

The only update today is the cops offering a $5000 reward for info, but that’s pretty standard even if they think the story is not quite kosher.

But I think r198 has it: no photos, no surveillance footage, no suspect descriptions have been released. The FBI and Madison PD have had plenty of time to review the evidence. I guess it’s now just a game of chicken.

by Anonymousreply 204June 30, 2020 10:19 PM

What needs to happen is heavy fines or some time in jail or suspended sentence where you have to do serious community service as payback for doing hoaxes like this. Also celebs who jump the gun to condemn nonexistent culprits and praise fake victims should have to proclaim just as loudly after the fact as they did with pre-judgement. If not then shit like this will continue to happen. It's not right.

by Anonymousreply 205June 30, 2020 10:37 PM

It will continue to happen regardless, r205, because these people possess a deep, probably ineradicable psychopathology.

by Anonymousreply 206June 30, 2020 10:39 PM

Why do people do this? Seriously - why?

Jussie had an actual goal: to get more famous, to get a raise at work, and also, it seems, to launch a political activism career via his friend Kamala's proposed (at the time of his fakery) anti-lynching bill.

But the rest of them? Why?

by Anonymousreply 207June 30, 2020 11:07 PM

Because they have a very deep, very pathological need for attention and sympathy, r207.

Basically, they equate sympathy and attention with love. This is what happens when their disorder manifests as faking illness. They want to feel loved and cared for by medical professionals.

by Anonymousreply 208June 30, 2020 11:09 PM

[quote]What happened with all the celebs who publicly supported Jussie when the hoax was revealed? Did they just ... lay low?

I don't know about the rest of them, but I'm about to be Vice-President y'all !!

by Anonymousreply 209June 30, 2020 11:27 PM

Pfft. She's an amateur.

In my story, a scary black man stole my car and drowned my kids!

by Anonymousreply 210June 30, 2020 11:32 PM

Did she have an uneaten tuna Sub in her car?

by Anonymousreply 211June 30, 2020 11:35 PM

Watch, the family and law officials will now say she's learning disabled or has developmental delay plus mental health issues, in order for her to avoid punishment. When this story first broke out, she was described by family as vivacious EMT. 18-year-old EMT who's dumb enough to not seek immediate attention for burns but instead drive to brother's house. Well, I guess that does make her seem like she rides the short bus.

by Anonymousreply 212June 30, 2020 11:37 PM

R207 If you watch this girl's interview, you can tell she's emotionally wounded and is begging for attention. She doesn't really talk about the incident itself and what actually happened (huge red flag, by the way), but instead, she talks about how it impacted HER.

"I haven't been able to sleep and have no appetite."

"I hope the men who did this see all the responses."

"I hope they know how much they hurt me."

"This is something that's gonna affect me for a while."

I don't know what specifically prompted her to do this, but it's pretty clear to me she's motivated by a need to be seen and noticed and to garner sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 213June 30, 2020 11:41 PM

Christ, they must be reviewing that surveillance footage frame by frame.

by Anonymousreply 214June 30, 2020 11:47 PM

God, I hope not.

by Anonymousreply 215June 30, 2020 11:58 PM

I'm a VICTIM, and I need CASH NOW!

by Anonymousreply 216July 1, 2020 12:44 AM

R216 Her family has turned down offers of donations, which should clue you in to what they think of her story.

by Anonymousreply 217July 1, 2020 12:45 AM

R216 Hey it worked for me

by Anonymousreply 218July 1, 2020 12:45 AM

She's probably not a malingerer or grifter. She doesn't care about money.

She wants attention.

by Anonymousreply 219July 1, 2020 12:49 AM

R219 That's my thought, too. Emotionally unstable. Attention and sympathy are her motivators, not cash.

by Anonymousreply 220July 1, 2020 12:51 AM

R220 Her gofundme ( that she approved) with a goal of 500 K says otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 221July 1, 2020 12:54 AM

R221 I'm sure that's a nice fringe benefit that she's not gonna turn down, but I still don't think money was the primary motivation with her.

Still, with a GoFundMe, she gets attention AND money. Of course, she's gonna approve that!

What I wanna know is who are all these stupid people giving this girl money? And will she be forced to return it when the hoax is revealed?

by Anonymousreply 222July 1, 2020 12:57 AM

Again, r221, it's about attention. And in 2020, a GoFundMe can get you a lot of it.

You can give money back. You can't give back attention, time, concern, compassion. Once they're given, and shitted on, they're gone forever.

That's why these people rankle me, although I realize they are sick. They shit all over the compassion of decent people.

by Anonymousreply 223July 1, 2020 12:59 AM

For me, the sobbing sans tears is the dead giveaway.

We've seen it before - Patsy Ramsey, Susan Smith, that nutjob Diane Downs who shot her kids - they all did interviews where they sobbed and sobbed and didn't shed a tear

by Anonymousreply 224July 1, 2020 1:01 AM

Jussie shed actual crocodile tears in his interview though, r224

by Anonymousreply 225July 1, 2020 1:05 AM

R224 Jussie's an actor. He damn well should've been able to conjure up a tear or two.

by Anonymousreply 226July 1, 2020 1:06 AM

R221 Hoaxssie is a “professional” actor.

by Anonymousreply 227July 1, 2020 1:06 AM

True. He is an actor, so I take your point there, but he's a pretty shitty actor, so originally I failed to remember that part of his life.

by Anonymousreply 228July 1, 2020 1:09 AM

R228 Even shitty actors like Hoaxssie know the tricks to cry on cue.

by Anonymousreply 229July 1, 2020 1:11 AM

She has a GFM? Link please?

by Anonymousreply 230July 1, 2020 1:18 AM

R230 Look it up yourself, Meghan.

by Anonymousreply 231July 1, 2020 1:27 AM

I did smartass r230 but there isn’t one with “$500k” raised. The only official one has raised $7k.

I’m not a Megstan either, I’m r2 and have been posting most of the info in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 232July 1, 2020 2:04 AM

R232 The post was meant as a joke, not a personal indictment of you. I was poking fun at Sparkle Markle.

by Anonymousreply 233July 1, 2020 2:13 AM

Any updates on this story? It's all gone strangely quiet.

by Anonymousreply 234July 1, 2020 2:15 AM

R234 Yeah. Imagine that.

by Anonymousreply 235July 1, 2020 2:16 AM

The Jussie case went strangely quiet too once police started reviewing the surveillance tapes.

by Anonymousreply 236July 1, 2020 2:22 AM

Apologies for the overreaction r233.

by Anonymousreply 237July 1, 2020 3:05 AM

R237 No problem. I should've been more obvious.

by Anonymousreply 238July 1, 2020 3:18 AM

Everything Megan touches goes to shit.

by Anonymousreply 239July 1, 2020 3:47 AM

Day 7 - no updates. Nothing but a lot of silence.

by Anonymousreply 240July 1, 2020 12:24 PM

[quote] Did she have an uneaten tuna Sub in her car?

*sigh*

by Anonymousreply 241July 1, 2020 12:32 PM

This is the latest. FBI is offering a $5,000 reward to anyone who has information that will help them with the case. This article is interesting; it says she was "waiting at a stop light in her vehicle at State Street, possibly while on Gorham Street..."

POSSIBLY?! Bitch didn't know where she was?

Also, she's saying two of the attackers were wearing masks. Yet she describes them looking like "white frat boys." How could she tell that if they were wearing masks?

And I'm sorry, but she doesn't look a bit African American in that picture. I think racist "white frat boys" would go for a more obvious target than this girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242July 1, 2020 1:19 PM

So if the FBI is offering a reward, are they pretty much saying they've got nothing to go on at this point? No surveillance camera footage, no accurate descriptions, no witnesses?

by Anonymousreply 243July 1, 2020 1:21 PM

The FBI knows there's something rotten in Wisconsin, r243, and it isn't their cheese!

by Anonymousreply 244July 1, 2020 2:07 PM

R244 There was another article where an FBI spokesperson said they take all reports of hate crimes seriously and investigate them accordingly. That, to me, was the FBI saying, "Her story is bullshit, but we have to go through the motions and make her think we believe her while we poke holes in her story and finally get her to crack."

by Anonymousreply 245July 1, 2020 2:12 PM

Where's Rev. Al Sharpton on this one?

by Anonymousreply 246July 1, 2020 3:24 PM

R246 Al learned his lesson with Tawana. He should be having a little talk with Sparkle Markle right now.

by Anonymousreply 247July 1, 2020 3:25 PM

Isn't 18 a bit young to be an EMT?

by Anonymousreply 248July 1, 2020 3:25 PM

R248, that’s what I was thinking. But apparently you just need to have a pulse and be 18? Maybe you take a first aid course and hope for the best?

by Anonymousreply 249July 1, 2020 3:32 PM

R248 She says she's "studying" to be an EMT, but she isn't one yet.

I'm even suspicious of that. Unless by "studying," she means reading a book called "So you Wanna be an EMT?"

by Anonymousreply 250July 1, 2020 3:37 PM

It would also be really out of character for Madison.

Madison is a supposedly lefty town that has its own struggles when dealing with actual black people vs the idea of them, for sure. But Madison is not a "let's set fire to black people" kind of town.

by Anonymousreply 251July 1, 2020 3:40 PM

R248, one can be at least 18 to become an EMT in Madison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252July 1, 2020 3:44 PM

R252 Being stupid enough not to immediately go to the ER after having her face burned should disqualify her.

by Anonymousreply 253July 1, 2020 3:46 PM

What really pisses me off about this girl is the fact that the Trump cult members are now all over this, calling her story a hoax, and using this to discredit not only the BLM movement, but the validity of white-on-black violence in general.

Thanks a lot, bitch, for fucking this all up just because no one wants to be your friend.

by Anonymousreply 254July 1, 2020 3:53 PM

Why are some of you so focused on this story. You've already accused and are convinced this was a hoax. Why are you so invested in a teenager being exposed, when there are a lot more nefarious things going on in the world?

Minorities have been falsely accused for centuries. Are you just so bothered that unnamed white men have been accused that you have to put alerts on this story and constantly watch for an updates? This is not national news. No one cares, but you need the girl exposed. Ask yourself why.

by Anonymousreply 255July 1, 2020 4:07 PM

r254, It's not Trump supporters, it's DL members.

by Anonymousreply 256July 1, 2020 4:07 PM

[quote] She says she's "studying" to be an EMT, but she isn't one yet.

She’s studying to be a paramedic. She is a registered EMT. You can even look up her certification on the Wisconsin state licensing site.

I don’t think her being an ENT at 18 is super unusual. People used to go to trade school and graduate with certification. Even now kids can go to high schools with programs specifically designed to give them medical education and training so they can get jobs right after graduating.

This young woman was homeschooled, so that wouldn’t apply in her case but a home school curriculum might allow her to study to be an EMT.

by Anonymousreply 257July 1, 2020 4:14 PM

R255 It IS national news. It's INTERNATIONAL news. It was on Good Morning America. It was covered by the BBC in England. Meghan Markle and Harry are championing her cause, for fuck's sake.

This is pretty damn nefarious, because she's unfairly and disgustingly using race as a means for getting attention. That someone would harm themselves and create a story rooted in racism and hatred around it is pretty nefarious, especially in these highly charged times we're living in. And doing this engenders more craziness from the already crazy right wingers and invites them to pile on more racism and more hate.

So, yeah. People care about this. And they should care about this.

Ask YOURSELF why you visited this thread if you don't care. And if you don't care, then you're part of the problem. So just move along.

by Anonymousreply 258July 1, 2020 4:15 PM

R255, because it's a cry-wolf thing, and when someone is actually brutally attacked for really next time, people will shrug and say 'it's probably a hoax, they want to be a victim.' That's the real tragedy.

The story sounds 'a little off' to a lot of people for a reason.

Also, it reflects so badly when people do this. It just looks so goddamned STUPID when one thinks they can perpetuate a big hoax like this (especially now, in the age of surveillance), and somehow they think they'll be able to pull it off. It's laughably stupid.

by Anonymousreply 259July 1, 2020 4:16 PM

R257 Well, that's even more frightening. She's an EMT and didn't have enough sense to go the hospital after being doused with lighter fluid and set afire?

Good lord.

by Anonymousreply 260July 1, 2020 4:17 PM

R254 Google this story or look at Twitter and see what the Trump cultists are saying about this.

by Anonymousreply 261July 1, 2020 4:19 PM

R255 Because the DL is filled with sad, fat old queens and, these days, alt-right losers and rejects that are obsessed with this shit.

by Anonymousreply 262July 1, 2020 4:22 PM

R262 We have multiple hate crime hoax threads a week now, when was the last genuine one? George Floyd, I think.

Accusing everyone who catches onto an obvious cultural trend of being alt-right is dangerous.

You're basically saying truth is something that belongs to Republicans, the way tolerance or open-mindedness belongs to Democrats. They'll happily latch onto that and use it against you, hence the "red-pilling" phenomenon. Something to think about before you huff around trying to shut people up.

by Anonymousreply 263July 1, 2020 4:43 PM

R262 obviously you haven’t been here long. DL loves to rag on idiot hoaxers regardless of political persuasions and whether those dumbfucks are family or on our side. Those early Jussie threads were the epitome of how hard and fast DLers can turn on fucktard hoaxers, it doesn’t matter if they’re one of our own or how fuckable they are. These idiots and the supporters who believe them despite contrary evidence deserve all the scorn coming their way.

by Anonymousreply 264July 1, 2020 5:42 PM

Her story has changed. She initially said they were throwing lighter fluid on her. In another statement, she said they sprayed something out of a spray bottle onto her.

She said two of her attackers were wearing Hawaiian shirts. Reports on the news that day had talked about some anti-BLM protestors showing up to demonstrations in Hawaiian shirts. Her attack also came the same day there that there had been a televised press conference about protestors trying to topple statues.

And the big question she hasn't answered and no one has asked, to my knowledge - why was she driving to her brother's house at 1:00 am on a Wednesday? She didn't say where she was coming from or why at that hour - just that she was "driving to her brother's." Why would she need to go to her brother's at 1:00 am?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265July 1, 2020 5:48 PM

R255, After the Jussie Smollett and Bubba Watson incidents, people are now skeptical.

by Anonymousreply 266July 1, 2020 5:55 PM

^Wallace, not Watson.

by Anonymousreply 267July 1, 2020 5:57 PM

R264 I resent that remark,

by Anonymousreply 268July 1, 2020 6:12 PM

Bubba Wallace was not a hoax.

by Anonymousreply 269July 1, 2020 6:14 PM

She should call a support line.

1-800-GO#-SAND

by Anonymousreply 270July 1, 2020 6:32 PM

Bubba wasn’t a hoax. It was however, an extension of the current social climate of believe all victims without first judiciously weighing evidence. Jumping to conclusions depending on which narrative fits your political persuasions. Cancel first and ask questions later seems to be the m.o. of certain elements of hard-left that cultivate and elevate victimhood as something to aspire to. It appeals particularly to the psychologically unbalanced and vulnerable who see it as the ultimate way to bask in attention and praise. Bubba’s case is very different from this young woman’s case. I view Bubba as more of an innocent party caught up in the insanity of condemn first check evidence later culture.

by Anonymousreply 271July 1, 2020 6:35 PM

Bubba went on TV and doubled-down on the “it was definitely a noose”, even when everybody with two eyes could clearly see it wasn’t. Just like Jussie with his Robin Roberts interview, crying and claiming he “fought the fuck back” against his imaginary attackers. Total evidence of living in an altered reality.

by Anonymousreply 272July 1, 2020 6:44 PM

No, Bubba's incident is an example of NASCAR's reputation being such that a hanging rope in that environment in those circumstances was understandably perceived as a threat.

by Anonymousreply 273July 1, 2020 6:46 PM

Uh, R272, it was in fact a noose, stupid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274July 1, 2020 6:46 PM

In fact, it was the ONLY noose in all of NASCAR's 1600+ garages.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275July 1, 2020 6:48 PM

Part of me hope she is telling the the truth for her sake and another part hopes it is a lie because it is too awful if true.

I have read different versions of details but I also expect that since reporting is so shoddy. I also expect that since if it did happen people don't always remember all the details right away - especially after a harrowing event. Memory kicking in or remembering new details does not mean you were lying before. People too often talk before they think and also too often are very imprecise in their language. For instance, she did say she was going to her brother's a 1 am but I read in 2 local news articles that she said AFTER the incident she then decided to drive home instead and then called her mother from home. Or for instance, throwing fluid in her face is to me another way of saying spraying it on her face. People are careless with their words and in legal situations it can come back to haunt you.

There are a lot of red flags for me in this event, both factual and some - maybe unfairly - psychological assumptions I make about her from personal details. I know that may be completely unfair. Which is why I'll wait until we know the full details. She seems like such a sweet person.

I will add that the biggest red flag for me is the Molotov cocktail firebombing of the city council building just a few blocks from her alleged location (which I realize is imprecise) and just a very short time before (possibly as little as 15 minutes). If she has any involvement with that or her injuries are as a result of that group's activities even without her involvement, then she may never be willing to acknowledge that.

by Anonymousreply 276July 1, 2020 6:48 PM

R274, That had been photographically proven to have been in that garage since at least 2016, a garage that was assigned to Bubba Wallace just one month ago.

by Anonymousreply 277July 1, 2020 6:54 PM

^October of 2019.

by Anonymousreply 278July 1, 2020 7:02 PM

If is this really a hoax, better keep her away of any medical profession, the nurses who " just want some attention" are the most prolific serial killers, and the deaths are covered for the hospitals and very hard to prove.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279July 1, 2020 7:03 PM

Actually 2019 but thanks for telling me what I already know, R277. The pic was to refute R272's blundering lie that there was no noose.

by Anonymousreply 280July 1, 2020 7:04 PM

"WE LOVE YOU, UNHINGED BLACK WOMAN IN WISCONSIN!" - the entire cast and crew of "Big Bang Theory" still not embarrassed enough for their Jussie stupidity

by Anonymousreply 281July 1, 2020 9:56 PM

I think Bubba just made a mistake. I don't think it was a hoax in his case.

by Anonymousreply 282July 1, 2020 10:01 PM

R282, Bubba jumped on the BLM bandwagon.

by Anonymousreply 283July 1, 2020 10:28 PM

You can't compare this to the Bubba incident. Remember, Bubba didn't find the noose - someone on his team did and reported it. In light of the crazy right wing nutter sentiment around NASCAR and the stupid Confederate flag, what his team reported was credible and worthy of investigation.

This Wisconsin girl just made up some shit.

by Anonymousreply 284July 1, 2020 10:40 PM

"Molotov cocktail firebombing of the city council building just a few blocks from her alleged location (which I realize is imprecise) and just a very short time before (possibly as little as 15 minutes). If she has any involvement with that or her injuries are as a result of that group's activities even without her involvement, then she may never be willing to acknowledge that."

That's an interesting coinciding event, it does gives one pause as to the possibility that she was injured as a result of participating in the firebombing. Participation can be active or as interested bystander enjoying the show, or perhaps lending moral support to the actual criminals. If she was injured in the process then of course there has to be some sort of explanation for her injuries.

by Anonymousreply 285July 1, 2020 11:03 PM

Reward is now up to $10,000

by Anonymousreply 286July 1, 2020 11:04 PM

R284, But then Bubba pulled an "Avenatti" by accepting every invitation to appear on national television to play the victim card before the FBI investigation was completed . . . and he kept on making appearances after it was deemed not to be a hate crime, which it was not.

by Anonymousreply 287July 1, 2020 11:23 PM

If it was 1 AM when it happened and at an intersection with traffic lights, there should be some videos of the event if it did take place. No law enforcement official is calling news conference asking for the public's help in identifying the 4 typical frat boy racists. The local community deserves a follow up because there may possibly be 4 dangerous men on the streets ready to injure or possibly kill the next victim. But the silence is now going on 5 days now and not a peep from law enforcement, which to observers of recent hoax cases means they know it's a hoax.

by Anonymousreply 288July 1, 2020 11:39 PM

R285 That's an interesting take. And that would explain what she was doing out on a Wednesday night at 1:00 am. She still hasn't explained why she was driving to her brother's house at 1:00 am that night.

It looks more like she fell on her face and got cut up than burned. Maybe she was running after the Molotov cocktail was thrown and fell down.

by Anonymousreply 289July 1, 2020 11:46 PM

R286 If the reward amount has been doubled, that means there are no witnesses, no surveillance camera footage, no one coming forward.

My guess is that the FBI is continuing to interview this girl and will continue to do so until they can get her to admit she made it all up.

by Anonymousreply 290July 1, 2020 11:48 PM

The reward money doubling is courtesy of Jewish groups since Althea is half Jewish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291July 2, 2020 12:23 AM

Guess who else is half-Jewish?

by Anonymousreply 292July 2, 2020 12:26 AM

R292, So that Subway was ham free?

by Anonymousreply 293July 2, 2020 12:43 AM

R291 Well, that changes things a bit. The FBI's like, "Yeah, we're not doubling the reward. We know she's guilty."

by Anonymousreply 294July 2, 2020 12:46 AM

I wouldn't think that girl was black if I had happened to be with a pack of racists at a red light, in the middle of the night, waiting for a black person.

With that hair and face I'd think Portuguese-descent, and it would take me longer than one red light cycle to confidently draw that conclusion. I just wouldn't think "there's our black person!" in a split second at a red light.

by Anonymousreply 295July 2, 2020 5:30 AM

I'm a fan of the molotov cocktail conspiracy theory.

by Anonymousreply 296July 2, 2020 8:19 AM

This whole incident is starting to take a very Sherri Papini-esque turn.

For a couple of weeks with the Papini case, the media was all over it, the police were investigating, her husband gave a national TV interview. Then no arrests. No witnesses. No new statements from the FBI or local police. The story just died.

I read an interview with one of the police officers in the city where the Papini incident took place. He spoke anonymously and said the police department was no longer investigating. They all knew her story was bullshit, but they couldn't actually PROVE it was bullshit, and they didn't have the budget or resources to extend the investigation, so they just stopped.

Now I would expect Madison, Wisconsin would have a bigger police budget than Redding, California, and the FBI is involved in this girl's case, but the deafening silence tells me that maybe everyone knows her story is bullshit, too, and they're just choosing to let the whole thing die.

by Anonymousreply 297July 2, 2020 12:41 PM

An update from the family yesterday:

Notice the girl herself is no longer speaking.

The family says only, "our family is still asking for privacy at this time so that Althea may focus on healing.”

The only other statement they make can be interpreted in a number of ways:

"The family asked for thoughts and prayers from the community for Althea’s healing and the 'collective wounds of our society whose history of ongoing racial inequity has come to the forefront in recent years.'"

"Collective wounds of our society of ongoing racial inequality..." They're not exactly copping to the veracity of the attack. They could really be saying, "Our biracial daughter has been kind of fucked up because she feels unequal and has emotional and psychological wounds."

Almost like a preemptive excuse for the hoax that will be revealed.

by Anonymousreply 298July 2, 2020 12:51 PM

^ Sorry, forgot the link to the article:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299July 2, 2020 12:51 PM

Apparently, anonymous sources in the Madison police are saying they've found nothing on any surveillance cameras in the vicinity of where this girl says she was.

Hmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 300July 3, 2020 1:56 PM

Lying Jussie.

by Anonymousreply 301July 3, 2020 2:05 PM

[quote] and finally get her to crack."

She already got burned, now you want to turn her to drugs too?

by Anonymousreply 302July 3, 2020 4:41 PM

[quote] I resent that remark,

[quote]—Meghan Markle, Duchess of Hollywood

No, dear, you represent that remark.

by Anonymousreply 303July 3, 2020 4:42 PM

An interesting take on this story. Also, a week and a half later, no witnesses, no surveillance camera footage, no further statements from Althea herself:

"Somebody, using lighter fluid, firebombed the City County Building in downtown Madison in front of a number of spectators. The 911 call center had to be evacuated. Fortunately, the fire was put out before the 180 inmates in the jail had to be freed or die fiery deaths.

This arson set off a political struggle between the liberal Dane County political leaders, who said enough is enough with these Mostly Peaceful Protests, and the extremely liberal Madison political leaders.

You might think the authorities might want to get in touch with anybody who ended up in the emergency room shortly after the lighter fluid-fueled arson of the City County Building with what are said to be lighter fluid-fueled burns to see if that person could assist them in their inquiries.

But virtually nobody seems to have wondered yet if there is any connection between the lighter fluid arson at 12:40 am on June 24 and the reported attack with lighter fluid on Ms. Bernstein at 1:00 am on June 24 at an intersection a three minute drive away?

If Ms. Bernstein’s story of a roving gang of four white racist fraternity boys spraying lighter fluid on her biracial body is true, then it would seem likely that the white supremacist Haven Monahans staged a false flag attack on the City County Building to make Antifa and BLM look bad.

Alternatively, if Ms. Bernstein’s story isn’t true, perhaps she was a witness to whoever actually did firebomb the jail?"

by Anonymousreply 304July 5, 2020 1:15 PM

R304 It's sounding more like our "victim" was involved in the firebombing of the City County Building and was worried about getting in trouble for it. That would explain why she didn't immediately go to the emergency room after her alleged attack.

by Anonymousreply 305July 5, 2020 1:19 PM

Also, this from a paramedic:

"As a Firemedic with many experiences with flammable liquid burns, lighter fluid burns would have drip marks. Meaning smaller towards the bottom. Almost like a teardrop. Fluid runs down. Thanks to that crazy thing called gravity. Also, her hair would have gotten singed. Look at how close the marks are to her hair. If it was fire, I am guessing it had something to do with those peaceful protesting happening that night where people were throwing Molotov Cocktails at police and buildings.

There is a reason the media is not promoting this story much anymore. As for nurses at the hospital who supposedly told her not to call the police because she was high on meds she was given - not one person in the hospital would ever do that. They would open up themselves and the hospital for liability."

by Anonymousreply 306July 5, 2020 1:24 PM

Has she confessed yet?

by Anonymousreply 307July 5, 2020 2:10 PM

The media has buried this story, along with John Bolton's book.

by Anonymousreply 308July 5, 2020 2:12 PM

The media isn't following up on this story because it's falling apart and they'll look foolish for promoting it before actually researching its veracity.

by Anonymousreply 309July 5, 2020 2:42 PM

The media is caught again acting like Twitter mob when victims are black and supposed perpetrators are white. Automatically believe a story that is unsupported by evidence except for for far-fetched descriptions by the victim. They are also burying the story not because they’ve done shitty journalism, but because this story runs counter to their narrative of black victims never lie/ black people are always victims of crimes at the hands of white people.

Anyone with half a brain and common sense would gave seen red flags in Althea’s story. Except for mainstream media that’s now gone all woke, and of course rich, fake liberal celebs who jump on the woke bandwagon for fame and $$$. I’m looking at you Meghan Markle.

by Anonymousreply 310July 5, 2020 3:02 PM

It's one thing to report on this story, because it is newsworthy, and another thing altogether to report on this story as if it's already been proven to be true.

What the media should have done is report on the ALLEGATIONS, without bias, then done the research to uncover the facts within.

That way, they win, no matter what the outcome.

by Anonymousreply 311July 5, 2020 3:09 PM

Out of curiosity, I added "Althea Bernstein" to my Google alerts. The only hits I've gotten involve stories about Meghan Markle.

by Anonymousreply 312July 6, 2020 9:25 AM

I suspect we're not going to hear anything else about this story

by Anonymousreply 313July 6, 2020 3:16 PM

R313 I suspect you're right, unless an intrepid journalist pursues it.

by Anonymousreply 314July 6, 2020 3:56 PM

That would be a damn shame if we heard nothing more.

She tried to stage a race based attack. If nothing else she needs to be prosecuted and those who contributed to her GFM should get their money back and realize how stupid they were.

by Anonymousreply 315July 6, 2020 4:03 PM

I believe any donations should go back, r315. But I also think she should get a slap on the wrist at best. She is mentally unwell and needs help.

by Anonymousreply 316July 6, 2020 4:09 PM

R315 I agree, but the family will probably negotiate an agreement with the Madison police department that involves some kind of payment and an agreement to get the daughter into psychiatric treatment in exchange for no prosecution and no publicity.

by Anonymousreply 317July 6, 2020 4:11 PM

The media absolutely is fueling this phenomenon. People pathologically desperate for attention know that staging a racist attack will guarantee media coverage and an outpouring of sympathy. This is EXACTLY what they crave

by Anonymousreply 318July 6, 2020 4:12 PM

Which is why the consequences should be swift and severe for fakers.

by Anonymousreply 319July 6, 2020 4:38 PM

I don't think punishment will deter them r319

Consider that patients with Munchhausen are willing to have limbs amputated in order to receive ongoing medical treatment. It's a severe psychopathology.

by Anonymousreply 320July 6, 2020 4:40 PM

R320 I wonder, though, if this was a true Munchausen type of situation with Althea or just her making up something because she was participating in the Molotov cocktail burning of the city and county building and didn't wanna get in trouble for it.

by Anonymousreply 321July 6, 2020 4:44 PM

[quote][R320] I wonder, though, if this was a true Munchausen type of situation with Althea or just her making up something because she was participating in the Molotov cocktail burning of the city and county building and didn't wanna get in trouble for it.

r321, exactly, I have no idea where all these armchair psychologists are coming from as if they have spent months treating this woman and can definitively diagnose her. If this woman lied to further inflame race relations she should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. If you deliberately lie about being a victim of a crime (e.g. rape, gay-bashing, etc.) you should be prepared to receive the same punishment as the person you would have wrongfully convicted.

by Anonymousreply 322July 6, 2020 5:20 PM

The main reason I want this hoax exposed is to watch Meghan Markle and Harry squirm their way out of their support for this lying fat girl and her BS story.

by Anonymousreply 323July 6, 2020 5:25 PM

[quote]If this woman lied to further inflame race relations

MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 324July 6, 2020 5:37 PM

r324, I'm all for a good 'MARY!' when warranted but how does it apply to that statement? Have you been living under a rock and not noticed the powder keg that is current race relations? This woman's story, if widely believed, could have certainly contributed to making things worse than they already are.

by Anonymousreply 325July 6, 2020 5:54 PM

Not really an update, but she was mentioned in this article

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326July 7, 2020 5:17 PM

R326 Yet not a single update from the police or FBI on her case, even though it's been almost two weeks since it allegedly took place.

by Anonymousreply 327July 7, 2020 5:37 PM

No word from the FBI either, so definitely a hoax at this point. Perhaps they're trying to find the right charges to file against her? She should not escape punishment for perpetrating hoax and possible race riots. Maybe Meghan Markle could call Althea again to get the real dirt this time.

by Anonymousreply 328July 8, 2020 2:37 AM

Shouldn't she lose her job over this hoax?

by Anonymousreply 329July 8, 2020 7:49 AM

Do you want more riots r329 ?

by Anonymousreply 330July 8, 2020 8:15 AM

We will never hear about this story again. It's clear from the lack of FBI/police updates that there is a lack of evidence.

And nothing will happen to her, so that this trend will continue unabated because there are no consequences.

by Anonymousreply 331July 8, 2020 8:40 AM

R330, This incident has been totally ignored by the BLM movement. There would not be any rioting if she's fired from her job.

by Anonymousreply 332July 8, 2020 9:00 AM

On to the next one! They'll pop up tomorrow most likely, given that this girl's been out of the headlines a few days.

by Anonymousreply 333July 8, 2020 12:11 PM

But she'll keep the GoFundMe, so there's that.

by Anonymousreply 334July 8, 2020 12:12 PM

The call she made to report the incident has been released

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335July 9, 2020 10:14 PM

Well, right off the bat, the story she told on TV doesn't match the call. In her TV interview, she said she didn't go to the ER right away and that the ER personnel told her not to call the police right away. In the phone call, she says she was at the ER all night and they told her to call the police.

She sounds like she's high while she's making the call, and it's interesting that she never said it was 4 white frat boys who did it - just "a group of people." And it was a lighter or a match.

And I'm sorry, but if she told this story to the ER personnel, they'd have called the police and had someone interview her at the hospital. So it sounds like she never told the hospital what actually happened.

by Anonymousreply 336July 9, 2020 10:30 PM

This will go on her permanent record.

by Anonymousreply 337July 10, 2020 11:23 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338July 11, 2020 11:10 PM

I hope he doesn’t trust his soul to no backwoods southern lawyer.

by Anonymousreply 339July 12, 2020 12:46 AM

Something of an update:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340July 13, 2020 9:25 PM

R340 LOL! The silence is deafening, isn't it?

Yes, it's still an active investigation, because they're actively searching for a way to arrest this girl for filing a false police report and lying about being attacked in an act of racial violence.

by Anonymousreply 341July 13, 2020 9:28 PM

The article refers to her as a biracial woman instead of a black woman....seems like some shade.

by Anonymousreply 342July 13, 2020 10:00 PM

Any updates from Sparkle Markle?

by Anonymousreply 343July 13, 2020 10:11 PM

Good catch, r342

by Anonymousreply 344July 13, 2020 10:12 PM

She's lost her black card.

by Anonymousreply 345July 14, 2020 11:06 AM

I also love the other bit of shade at the end of the article:

"Unlike in other unsolved cases, police have not released any images from surveillance cameras that might have recorded the attack or the assailants."

That's because there aren't any.

by Anonymousreply 346July 14, 2020 11:54 AM

I almost feel like media is in an impossible position in these situations.

On the one hand, they know a lot of these stories turn out to be false.

On the other, if it isn't false, they'll be slammed for not reporting on it earlier.

by Anonymousreply 347July 14, 2020 11:59 AM

The media gets no sympathy from me, from sensationalistic headlines to not focusing on the stories that actually matter, fuck them.

The issue here is that the fakers are distracting from real issues that affect minorities. Instead of getting people involved and talking about racism the result is that people hear the news and shrug it off as another attempt at attention seeking.

by Anonymousreply 348July 14, 2020 12:18 PM

R347 I cut the media no slack when it comes to this story. They jumped on it as if it was true and reported it as if this woman was a tragic victim of racism, rushing to her side and patting her on the head and saying "there, there."

I didn't see or hear one story where they reported this alleged incident objectively. And now here we are - no witnesses, no footage, a story that's falling apart. And what do we hear from most of the media? Crickets.

When reporting is so lazy and shoddy like this, it just gives the right wing nutjobs more fuel for their "fake news!" talking point.

by Anonymousreply 349July 14, 2020 12:57 PM

Has there been any update on this story, or are they hoping it'll fade away without bein debunked? Can't blame the family if they're hoping for that...

by Anonymousreply 350August 17, 2020 6:28 AM

Nope. Nothing. That's because it never happened. Why do the police continue to say they're "investigating?" Why don't they arrest her for perpetrating this hoax?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351August 17, 2020 4:05 PM

I love this quote from the "victim":

"A month ago, she said she had advised the family against making statements to avoid compromising the work of investigators."

Uh-huh. She advised the family against making statements because she knows anything they say can and will be used against her.

by Anonymousreply 352August 17, 2020 4:06 PM

It's disgusting that you are just waiting for them to say it was a fake story. You don't know that but are really hoping it is.

by Anonymousreply 353August 17, 2020 4:59 PM

R353 Nah. We know it's a fake story. If it was real, the police would have released the surveillance camera tapes at the intersection where the attack allegedly took place. It's been verified that there indeed are surveillance cameras at that spot.

Look into other details of the story. None of it adds up. This girl was looking for attention. She needs help. But first, she needs to pay a hefty fine for filing a false police report, she needs to issue a public apology, and she needs to do community service, preferably among people who have been actual victims of race-based crime.

by Anonymousreply 354August 17, 2020 5:03 PM

Agreed. We need to start publicly punishing people who file fase reports.

You want to go easy on her? Just convict her and give her probation w/counseling.

She did this. Her future employers do actually need to know that she did this, especially if she's supposed to be working in high stress situations. The people she lied to need to know she did this.

by Anonymousreply 355August 17, 2020 6:05 PM

R355 File false reports, not fase.

by Anonymousreply 356August 17, 2020 7:00 PM

R356 Well, she DID file a FACE report...burned up and all that.

by Anonymousreply 357August 17, 2020 7:40 PM

by Anonymousreply 358August 17, 2020 9:18 PM

[quote]The article refers to her as a biracial woman instead of a black woman....seems like some shade.

r342, I'll never understand the US's relationship with race. How is calling a biracial woman 'biracial' shade? How is it you say that the one-drop rule is antiquated and rooted in racism and yet it'a liberally applied today. Right now there are many Americans claiming that Kamala Harris, who is 25% black, is a black woman. I'm a black non-American and I find the contradictions confusing.

by Anonymousreply 359August 18, 2020 12:01 AM

r358, your assumption that I'm is just as bad as your assumption you know what actually happened with this situation. I know I live in a country where you are innocent till proven guilty. All those waiting for the truth to come out, how about you wait before you post like you know everything.

by Anonymousreply 360August 18, 2020 3:41 PM

R359 It's political, it revolves around national racial politics. There's an idea that if you disobey, your blackness is in question or is diluted and if you obey, you're as black as you want to be.

For instance progressive activist Shaun King was outed years ago as a white man passing himself off as black, Rachel Dolezal style. He has some convoluted excuse, but he's demostrably not black. He toes the line of whatever the current political aims of upper class black political figures is, and helps create them, so he gets to still play black. Dolezal, ironically enough, was also a vocal critical race theory proponent like King is.

There can be advantages for mixed race people in identifying as black with the one drop rule. They can sort of bundle advantages, because they mostly aren't victimized by any prejudice but they can gain access to the support system and resources of the black community- which are considerable, but are designed for people who are deprived and marginalized. Not someone like Kamala, daughter of college professors.

by Anonymousreply 361August 18, 2020 4:07 PM

Wonder what Miss Bernstein's up to these days. There have been riots in Madison for the past three nights.

by Anonymousreply 362August 26, 2020 7:21 PM

No statement from the FBI or local authorities then?

by Anonymousreply 363August 26, 2020 8:41 PM

Any news on this story? Or has everyone dropped the ball and just decided to let it die without investigation?

I'd like at least to have some confirmation of the fact that it was presumably all invented for attention.

by Anonymousreply 364August 27, 2020 6:27 AM

My guess is that the police and FBI have stopped investigating and know she made up the story. They may be waiting for her to confess she made the story up or are putting together a quiet deal that will involve her agreeing to psychological therapy and community service in lieu of prosecution.

by Anonymousreply 365August 27, 2020 11:13 AM

Has Duchess Meghan given her pronouncement yet?

by Anonymousreply 366August 27, 2020 12:49 PM

The family's statement is suspiciously absent of any references to a "hate crime," but quite full of references to the "emotional well-being" Althea needs. That cray cray girl done made this all up:

"We appreciate the overwhelming outpouring of support that Althea is receiving from friends, family, neighbors, and others from near and far. As you can imagine, this has been a traumatic experience physically, mentally, and emotionally for Althea. Our family is still asking for privacy at this time so that Althea may focus on healing. We ask for your continued prayers and positive thoughts not only for Althea’s healing, but for the healing of the collective wounds of our society whose history of ongoing racial inequity has come to the forefront in recent years. Althea wants you to know that she sends her love and appreciation to each of you. With the support of Michael Johnson, our family has assembled a team of professionals that will provide medical, spiritual, and community support to Althea. Thank you all for your concern for our beloved daughter.”

by Anonymousreply 367August 28, 2020 9:14 PM

She doesn't "pronounce" -- she has Friends speak for her and Femin Harry.

by Anonymousreply 368August 28, 2020 10:49 PM

The big announcement- DL was right:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369October 2, 2020 7:46 PM

R369

Incredible that the police has incontrovertible evidence that she lied, and they're still claiming they're not sure.

by Anonymousreply 370October 2, 2020 8:11 PM

The lying bitch! I knew it!

I'm guessing there was some kind of deal between the family and the police to not charge her in exchange for an agreement that she get some kind of psychiatric treatment. This statement from the family makes it pretty clear:

"Bernstein's family said in a statement that it appreciated 'the detailed investigative efforts by all involved in this case,' asked for privacy and said it would not be granting interviews. 'Althea's injuries are healing and the support of our community has been invaluable in that regard,' they said."

by Anonymousreply 371October 2, 2020 8:50 PM

So all you DL queens who clutched your pearls at those who knew this girl's story was BS from the start - any comments?

by Anonymousreply 372October 2, 2020 8:51 PM

Nobody is claiming she lied except DL's trolls.

From the link at R369:

Wahl said there is a difference between actively trying to deceive law enforcement and law enforcement not being able to corroborate a report of a crime, and he said Bernstein and her family have been cooperative throughout the investigation.

"We were unable to corroborate (Bernstein's story), but we are not speculating on what did and did not happen," he said. He also confirmed that Bernstein's injuries were consistent with being burned, and said she has offered no "alternative explanation" for what happened to her.

Police noted that Bernstein has been consistent in her description of the attack to friends and family, her phone's GPS locations matched up with what she reported to police and her phone messages did not indicate an intent to deceive law enforcement or the public.

by Anonymousreply 373October 2, 2020 11:31 PM

R373 Oh, please. They all knew she made it up. They struck a bargain with her and said, "Listen, you crazy bitch. If you get yourself into therapy, we'll forget this ever happened."

Did you see the pictures of her car? It never even stopped where she said it did. Her fucking window was never even rolled down!

by Anonymousreply 374October 2, 2020 11:45 PM

R373

You might want to read a little deeper:

Point 1: There's zero surveillance evidence of the attack or of four white men fitting the "attackers'" descriptions.

An exhaustive search of video from city- and privately owned surveillance cameras, however, turned up no evidence of the attack, and the investigation identified a number inconsistencies in Bernstein's story.

A surveillance camera at West Gorham and State. for example, captured images of the Elantra at 12:44 a.m. but nothing to substantiate the alleged attack.

Surveillance cameras did not capture Bernstein’s vehicle at two intersections: University Avenue at North Bassett Street, and University Avenue at North Lake Street. The cameras at the first intersection skipped recording when Bernstein drove through and were positioned away from the street at the second intersection.

But a detective said Bernstein likely had not been stopped at red lights at these two intersections because “the vehicle was almost continuously captured on video as it traveled through the Downtown entertainment zone, without stopping.”

A review of 17 city cameras in the Downtown area from 12:15 a.m. to 1:15 a.m. found no groups of white males matching Bernstein’s descriptions.

Point 2: The car suffered no fire damage and had no lighter fluid within it.

Police also did not find any fire damage in the Elantra, according to police reports, and a dog trained to sniff out accelerants did not find evidence of them of in the car.

Point 3: She did have lighter fluid on her shirt, but not on her shorts. Those "attackers" have amazing aim.

A forensic analysis of the shirt she was wearing at the time of the attack did turn up evidence of a "medium petroleum distillate," such as charcoal lighter fluid, according to the police investigation. But no such evidence was found on the shorts she was wearing at the time, nor on swabs taken of the vehicle.

Point 4: She had her car window rolled up the entire time.

The police investigation also found evidence that Bernstein had her window rolled up at the time of the alleged attack and hadn't stopped at stoplights where it might have occurred. It also determined she had been driving in a different lane than she told police and was uncertain about where exactly the incident occurred.

Point 5: Investigators absolutely call her a liar but claim they can't find evidence of "mal intent" or that she planned it in advance.

Investigators told the Bernstein family's attorney that "the attack, as Bernstein had described it, had not occurred," according to police reports, but also told her that there was "no evidence that Bernstein had colluded with anyone to make a false report or that there was any mal-intent or pre-planning that occurred in regards to Bernstein's statement to police."

by Anonymousreply 375October 2, 2020 11:50 PM

To summarize r375’s post:

We know the bitch lyin’, but we ain’t gonna charge her or call her out on it.

by Anonymousreply 376October 2, 2020 11:54 PM

See? You can't throw a cigarette lighter and have it stay aflame. I feel better now, not so cynical.

by Anonymousreply 377October 3, 2020 2:27 AM

People don't fake stories like this! You are all so unkind!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378October 3, 2020 2:42 AM

Now added to the long list of fake hate crimes. Of course only a small percentage of those who were horrified by the crime report will see the debunking

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379October 3, 2020 4:10 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380October 3, 2020 6:01 AM

People get attacked for real and this silly cow gives racists the reason to call them all liars.She is scum.

by Anonymousreply 381October 3, 2020 7:56 AM

Do we have any reaction from Meghan Markle this morning? After all, she came out in support of this lying little bitch when she first made up her story.

by Anonymousreply 382October 3, 2020 10:35 AM

I knew her story was bullshit when I saw her on Good Morning America. Crying, but with no tears, and the big tell:

"I hope these men see all these responses and know that they hurt me."

Me, me, me! Look at me! I need attention! People are responding and feeling sorry for me! I need attention and love so much that I'll make up a hate crime to get it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383October 3, 2020 10:41 AM

She made international news. Wasn't she interviewed on the BBC?

by Anonymousreply 384October 3, 2020 12:20 PM

Why I never believe ANYTHING blindly anymore, especially involving women. Too many nutcases out there, too many lives potentially being ruined with lies. "BELIEVE WOMEN", my ass.

by Anonymousreply 385October 3, 2020 4:00 PM

I wonder if Good Morning America will do a follow up story on this. Ya know, saying THE BITCH LIED.

by Anonymousreply 386October 3, 2020 7:39 PM

[quote] I wonder if Good Morning America will do a follow up story on this. Ya know, saying THE BITCH LIED.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387October 3, 2020 9:08 PM

This pic from her GMA interview says it all. Normally, I'd blame her behavior on a mental break, but that face is 100 percent duper's delight. She knew what she was doing. I'll credit her parents for mostly keeping her out of the spotlight for the past few months. I wonder if they threatened to expose her if she didn't lay low.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388October 4, 2020 12:20 AM

Oh no...why’s she being a Jussie?

by Anonymousreply 389October 4, 2020 12:53 AM

Yeah but the point is it COULD have happened, even though it didnt happen

by Anonymousreply 390October 4, 2020 4:20 PM

Cunt.

She won't be held accountable, just coddled. She could've destroyed someone's life if they had found some poor schmuck who was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

by Anonymousreply 391October 4, 2020 4:54 PM

Is she gonna go back on TV now and double down on her story and tell everyone how she fought the fuck back??

by Anonymousreply 392October 4, 2020 6:20 PM

As soon as I read this headline, I had a feeling it was fake. I'm not one of those people who denies that racism exists, but the hoaxers always take it a step too far to be believable. Such as that girl who claimed a group of white boys had held her down and cut off her hair because it was "nappy" - it just felt a bit too on-the-nose to be true.

by Anonymousreply 393October 4, 2020 6:42 PM

Hey, folks, Althea here! Remember me? Are you still feeling sorry for me? I totally was set on fire by those frat boys and there's no way I did it myself because I'm a psychotic mess desperate for attention. Honest!

I'm just here to let you know that I also totally believe Meghan Markle and Harry because they totally believed me.

by Anonymousreply 394March 10, 2021 6:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!