Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What if Joe Biden is Actually Running a Great Campaign?

[QUOTE] Normally, the media’s coverage magnifies the results of polls. The winning presidential campaign is rewarded with glowing coverage of its strategic acumen. But Biden has attracted shockingly little of the normal adulation a winning candidate receives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84October 4, 2020 3:01 AM

He’s not Trump; that’s all that matters.

by Anonymousreply 1June 25, 2020 2:39 PM

But that’s not all that matters, R1. There’s a number of Dem primary contenders who would not be polling as well right now should they have become the nominee.

by Anonymousreply 2June 25, 2020 2:58 PM

Agree, R2. He's getting the support of people Hilary and Bernie never did and would have loved to have had. And, he's continuing to gain supporters as time goes on.

The right guy for the job, at the right time in history.

by Anonymousreply 3June 25, 2020 3:04 PM

He is letting Trump hang himself with the daily barrage of stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 4June 25, 2020 4:08 PM

The media’s not doing him any favors, however. Chait rightly identifies the same old bullshit headlines I always see. They can’t give the guy credit for anything. And he’s apparently always one step away from collapsing and letting Trump win, like the eeyores around here who keep hollering about 2016.

Frankly I think it was tougher to beat the Dem field than it will be to defeat Trump, but what do I know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 25, 2020 4:13 PM

He’s not as scary to white men as Hillary was. Trump can’t use him as a boogey man effectively.

And old people love him.

by Anonymousreply 6June 25, 2020 4:16 PM

It's the "please proceed, Governor" strategy. Just sit back and let Trump steer the Titanic directly into the path of the iceberg. It's working brilliantly, and why waste the time and money on campaigning during a pandemic, anyway?

by Anonymousreply 7June 25, 2020 4:17 PM

As long as he keeps his mouth shut, he can't make any gaffes.

Good strategy as far as I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 8June 25, 2020 4:18 PM

R5 The beltway media is flailing because they always need a close race to boost ratings, etc. They don't know how to cover this since it appears that this could be a landslide of historic proportions.

by Anonymousreply 9June 25, 2020 4:19 PM

I'm probably alone in this, but I think Joe's "gaffes" make him relatable. Joe is a nice guy and a decent guy and it doesn't hurt that he looks like central casting's version of a president.

by Anonymousreply 10June 25, 2020 4:22 PM

the black people adore his ass

by Anonymousreply 11June 25, 2020 4:25 PM

They’re ridiculous with the gaffes. I’m young enough to be Joe’s grandson and I make some of the same mistakes when speaking. And I don’t even have a stuttering problem. Does that mean I’m suffering from dementia?

by Anonymousreply 12June 25, 2020 4:25 PM

I just saw a Trump ad that was all about Joe Biden's "dementia".

I really think that strategy is going to backfire--now they've opened themselves up for ALL of Trump's crazy statements, slurring, possible stroke (ie., can't lift a glass or walk down a ramp), gaffes, weird behavior, probable drug addiction (stimulants and opiates), etc.

by Anonymousreply 13June 25, 2020 4:30 PM

These people who actually think Biden has dementia fall into four groups: 1) lying Trump supporters, 2) whiney, butthurt Bernie Bros, 3) morons who think YouTube videos from randos (or bullshit 'experts') are the best way to find 'facts' and follow the news and 4) ignorant people who have never actually spent time with a human suffering from dementia.

With some overlap, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 14June 25, 2020 4:34 PM

Basically he was the only choice to win. Republicans who are moderate like him, dems love him, the lefter dems tolerate him. Not sure how any sane person can look at the state of our country under 4 years of Trump and go "we should do this four more years."

by Anonymousreply 15June 25, 2020 4:39 PM

"Basically he was the only choice to win." Agree.

by Anonymousreply 16June 25, 2020 4:43 PM

Joe is also periodically making speeches that are attacking Dump’s character and racism. He’s not holding back and playing nice. This is good and I hope he gets more aggressive. Dump is a coward and doesn’t like when people push back and Joe HATES him. Can’t wait till he goes full Irish on Ol’ Diaperpants.

by Anonymousreply 17June 25, 2020 10:20 PM

He’s probably saving full Irish for the debates.

by Anonymousreply 18June 25, 2020 10:39 PM

I have seem on bravo streaming constant attack ads on Biden - they have one where they claim he is too old to be president (as if Trump is a spring chicken) and another saying we don't want to go back to Obama years....YES YES WE DO!

by Anonymousreply 19June 25, 2020 10:54 PM

[quote]Basically he was the only choice to win

Because no one else was given much of a chance aside from Sanders and him. Moderate democrats clung to Biden as the only viable choice months before he even announced he was running while progressives clung to Sanders. Amusing that people bitched about Clinton clearing the field yet when we had an wide open field of great younger candidates, no one seemed to really give a shit.

[quote]dems love him,

That's debatable. They love him because of his association with Obama. As a solo, most people are tolerating him because they have to. It's his VP choice and his cabinet that is exciting most people. A lot of young people aren't buying his "aw shucks" routine.

by Anonymousreply 20June 25, 2020 11:03 PM

Who were you supporting in the Dem primary, R20?

by Anonymousreply 21June 25, 2020 11:22 PM

Gee, could it be that he’s running against Trump?

by Anonymousreply 22June 25, 2020 11:26 PM

The truth is, modern political campaigns are won online now. Most people of all ages get their news from Facebook and Twitter, with a little cable news thrown in. Biden is running a fantastic online campaign, and he's getting a huge assist from the Lincoln Project.

In-person rallies, speeches, debates and big conventions are becoming obsolete. Biden swept Super Tuesday without stepping foot, or even having campaign offices, in most of the states he won by huge margins.

by Anonymousreply 23June 25, 2020 11:44 PM

[QUOTE] Joe Biden says that if he were president, he would require people to wear masks in public to slow the spread of COVID-19.

[QUOTE]As coronavirus case counts soar in 30 states and hit record levels nationally, a new Yahoo News/YouGov poll shows that two-thirds of Americans now share Biden’s position — even as Republicans, and President Trump, continue to oppose it.

[QUOTE]“The one thing we do know, these masks make a gigantic difference,” the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee said Thursday (while sporting a mask himself). “I would insist that everybody in public be wearing that mask.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 26, 2020 9:28 PM

[quote] He’s probably saving full Irish for the debates.

I still think Plump will chicken out and not debate. Joe will mop the floor with him, and he is a chickenshit coward.

by Anonymousreply 25June 27, 2020 1:28 AM

I think making the mask announcement was a big mistake. Taking a stand on that issue was unnecessary at this point -- Biden won't even be sworn in until the end of January, and who knows what will happen between now and then? No one likes being told what to do -- that's why we're seeing the backlash (and the increase in cases) we're seeing now. And for him to speak about it when he didn't need to was foolish.

We need a great orator to unite this country and inspire people to band together to protect our fellow citizens. And while of course I'm going to vote for Biden, he is decidedly not that man. This announcement was a mistake. He should just keep his head down and his mouth shut and let Trump's mouth lose the election for him (barring Russian interference, knock on wood).

by Anonymousreply 26June 27, 2020 3:40 PM

R26, yeah, that was stupid and unnecessary. I’m pretty sure everyone has chosen their teams and now it’s just a matter of getting everyone out to vote.

by Anonymousreply 27June 27, 2020 3:45 PM

EX-SQUEEZE ME? So now Joe Biden advocating for wearing masks means he sucks? You do realize that Covid is out of control in every last one of the southern states with governors that refused to enforce social distancing, wearing masks, and flung the doors open again?????

And we have a President that openly says he's telling agencies to slow down testing for covid. OK, but Biden is the problem for advocating wearing a mask. Sure, Boris.

by Anonymousreply 28June 27, 2020 3:55 PM

The Governor of Arkansas is now publicly begging for the White House to tell people to wear masks...

But Biden was stupid for saying the same thing?

Sit down.

by Anonymousreply 29June 27, 2020 4:05 PM

I'm afraid Biden's just running on Trump hate right now. Is that enough? We'll see.

But I wonder if the Dems had a young, passionate, inspiring multi-racial candidate... if Trump would only be polling in the teens- and not trailing uncomfortably close?

by Anonymousreply 30June 27, 2020 4:11 PM

Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson (R) told MSNBC there needs to be a “consistent national message” from President Trump on wearing face masks during the coronavirus pandemic.

Said Hutchinson: “A consistent national message supporting the importance of wearing a mask and social distancing is very important to making sure everybody understands the importance of it. Nothing beats leadership. Certainly it’s important to convey the importance of that.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 27, 2020 4:12 PM

"Enough about me. What about you? Is your life better than it was four years ago? When you thank your president, what specifically happened for you that makes you say he did a great job? For you. Not 'the economy' (whatever the heck that means). Where were you then? Where are you now? How's your family? Yourhealth? Let's get your stories but only the facts; I know you hate all that fake news bullshit. Well, maybe you're right. Time for the truth. Tell us your truth."

That's how I would talk to the working-class Trump supporters in my life. It's so fucking condescending, true. Call it a strategy. I wonder how they'd respond, though, if the main stream media were to say, "We haven't heard from you enough, MAGAts. We're going to profile you individually, though. SO if you can provide an answer, we'll do a profile of you."

by Anonymousreply 32June 27, 2020 4:23 PM

R31 Trump doesn't give a shit what Asa Hutchinson, governor of Arkansas, thinks. He looks down on it as a shithole state full of deplorables. This might piss him off though and result in some sort of retaliation. It's fun to see Trump destroy the Republican party, couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of assholes.

by Anonymousreply 33June 27, 2020 4:29 PM

R33, the point of sharing the article was showing that Biden saying he would insist on the public wearing masks isn’t some radical move. It’s demonstrating leadership which the majority of the country desperately wants.

Who would get upset and not vote for Biden over this?

Maybe this woman. We can win without her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 27, 2020 4:43 PM

No, R34. Leadership is making people WANT to wear masks to protect their fellow citizens. Just telling them, "I'm gonna make you" is positively Trumpian.

by Anonymousreply 35June 27, 2020 6:37 PM

No, R35. Biden was asked what he would do as President. He answered the question very clearly.

He has already been leading on this issue by speaking on it and by showing up in public in a mask. And the majority of the country agrees that it’s the right thing to do.

Biden is focused on saving lives. That’s one reason why he’s winning with seniors.

by Anonymousreply 36June 27, 2020 6:42 PM

R35 Then why wear seat belts or have stop signs. Isn't that "making" people do something for the greater good of society?

Why have any laws at all?

I'll get shitfaced drunk tonight and drive around town, because you can't make me not drunk drive!!!

You see why we need rules like you must wear a mask in public, R35?

by Anonymousreply 37June 27, 2020 7:40 PM

Seat belts and stop signs are LOCAL and STATE jurisdictions, R37. Just sayin'. If the Feds want the states to do something, they often bribe (give the state money to implement it) or threaten (cut off other funds) to get them to make laws at the state level.

For example, see: raising the drinking age to 21.

by Anonymousreply 38June 27, 2020 8:43 PM

What is your point R38? I was responding to the tone of R35 and "you can't make me do it". That attitude makes you sound just as ridiculous as all of these Karens screaming about not wearing masks. Are you just trying to be a contrarian?

by Anonymousreply 39June 27, 2020 9:00 PM

[QUOTE] Leadership is making people WANT to wear masks to protect their fellow citizens.

How the hell do you make crazy rightwingers in red states WANT to wear a mask, R35?

by Anonymousreply 40June 28, 2020 12:19 AM

As long as Biden gets rid of Trump - that's all that matters. I don't care about anything else.

by Anonymousreply 41June 28, 2020 12:24 AM

Joe Biden responds....

DAMN!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 28, 2020 12:38 AM

Thought he couldn’t string two sentences together?

Can’t wait for the debates. 😎

by Anonymousreply 43June 28, 2020 1:21 AM

Never letting anyone tell you what to do is positively Trumpian. Having to coax and convince--instead of just saying, Hey Goober, fucking wear a mask to show others you give a shit if they live or die--that is craven.

by Anonymousreply 44June 28, 2020 1:35 AM

Do those idiots really think Biden prevailed in the primary “through a fantastical set of circumstances?”

by Anonymousreply 45June 28, 2020 1:57 AM

I was afraid that Joe would allow the whole Trumpster golf cart Villages tweet debacle to go by without mention, but Mighty Joe was right there to take a stab and twist the knife. Beautiful. Once again, Joe Biden has won the day.

[QUOTE] Today the President shared a video of people shouting “white power” and said they were “great.” Just like he did after Charlottesville.

[QUOTE]We’re in a battle for the soul of the nation — and the President has picked a side. But make no mistake: it’s a battle we will win.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 28, 2020 6:56 PM

Mighty Joe Biden came out swinging today!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 30, 2020 11:21 PM

Well I hope he knows how to run for president by now. How many times has he tried and fucked it up already? Three or five or something?

by Anonymousreply 48July 1, 2020 1:58 AM

Less times than Dump has declared bankruptcy, R48 and less times than the number of wives Dump has cheated on.

Hope that helps to put it into perspective for you, little buddy!

by Anonymousreply 49July 1, 2020 2:15 AM

Oh you are right, R49, I am the only little buddy who noticed that Biden is a gaffe machine. I will shut up and crawl back under my rock and be silently idiotic now.

by Anonymousreply 50July 1, 2020 2:18 AM

I’m actually shocked at how well Biden is doing so far. I just hope he can sustain it. I mean I’d crawl over broken glass to vote for him regardless but it’s nice to not have to cringe every time he opens his mouth. And I really love how stupid and powerless he’s making Trump look.

by Anonymousreply 51July 1, 2020 2:22 AM

Hey now, R50! Let's have a hamberder and a bigley covfefe together, sometime. We'll plan something after COVID isn't ravaging the United States because of Dump's inefficiency and callousness, ok?

by Anonymousreply 52July 1, 2020 2:24 AM

I can't stand the Democrat Party enforcers around this place. Just because I think Biden is a dog faced pony soldier doesn't mean I won't vote for him. Ease up a little, R49.

by Anonymousreply 53July 1, 2020 2:33 AM

Er, that should be R49 who has never blah blah. You know what I'm saying.

by Anonymousreply 54July 1, 2020 2:36 AM

I mean, what is this, the gay Comintern of Democratic Party Fidelity?

by Anonymousreply 55July 1, 2020 2:44 AM

It's been a crazy week, R49. Apologies for being a jerk. I take full responsibility for you not feeling comfortable expressing yourself. That is, after all, your right under the Constitution.

Thanks for throwing in that "dog-faced pony soldier" bit! Lol

by Anonymousreply 56July 1, 2020 2:48 AM

It's been a crazy 4 years!!

by Anonymousreply 57July 1, 2020 2:49 AM

Because the media always shits all over EVERY Democrat and develops "(blank) is running a terrible campaign!" narrative.

by Anonymousreply 58July 1, 2020 2:52 AM

It has, R57. It's only fuckin Tuesday but it feels like this week has been twenty days long, already.

by Anonymousreply 59July 1, 2020 2:52 AM

You are right, R58, and then Trump retweets a video with his head pasted on a guy shooting other people pasted with logos of those same news outlets.

by Anonymousreply 60July 1, 2020 2:59 AM

Fucking NPR had Bill Barr on the other day talking about how racism in policing is imaginary.

by Anonymousreply 61July 1, 2020 3:23 AM

Most of the media are furious that they can’t attack Biden for anything specific because he’s been doing well, so instead they’re expressing “concern” for whether he’s doing enough. They’re also searching for another “But her emails” since Tara proved a lying dud. Because both sides. Always both sides with the media.

They’ll crucify him for two weeks if he announces someone other than a African-American woman as his VP choice.

by Anonymousreply 62July 1, 2020 3:40 AM

[quote]How the hell do you make crazy rightwingers in red states WANT to wear a mask,

Put one over the mouth of their orange god.

by Anonymousreply 63July 1, 2020 9:22 AM

[quote]...the Democrat Party enforcers...

If you use that name, you haven't voted for the party. 🖕🏾

by Anonymousreply 64July 1, 2020 9:52 AM

"I can't take another 4 year of trump!" Is not a great campaign strategy, it is just want every American is saying. It is the truth.

by Anonymousreply 65July 1, 2020 10:14 AM

You know with or without corona, national political campaigns have changed dramatically. Grassroots organizing is still pretty much the way to go for local and statewide elections for sure. Getting the candidate out to town halls, GOTV rallies, and fundraising/pep rallies is important. Lawn signs and bumper stickers still work. But PResidential campaigns, once we move out of the primary stage, are dramatically different. The ad buys are more targeted thanks to social media and technology. And candidates are not required to make as many personal appearances as they once did. It's a lot more hit & run. Trump's 2016 campaign was one of the most unorthodox I've ever scene with almost no field organization at all. In the general election they relied a lot on what the state GOP had available for GOTV. He ran with no local organization and relied on his celebrity in the primaries.

by Anonymousreply 66July 1, 2020 10:27 AM

R64 you don't know shit.

by Anonymousreply 67July 1, 2020 12:12 PM

AND you prove my point. Are you people on the party payroll? Or do you erase people from photos all day for free?

by Anonymousreply 68July 1, 2020 12:13 PM

So will Drumpf debate Joe? I'd love to see an exchange about how Putin is paying to have our service men and women killed, Rump knew about it and did nothing. What will he say to that? Joe will mop the floor with his fat orange ass.

by Anonymousreply 69July 1, 2020 4:35 PM

Watch for "Lazy Basement Joe is too scared to have 27 debates with me" or something. If Team Orange wants more than the usually three plus one for VP, then we'll know THEY know they're fucked. First time in a long time the incumbent, with all the power in the world, is really a challenger.

by Anonymousreply 70July 2, 2020 10:29 AM

[QUOTE] They’ll crucify him for two weeks if he announces someone other than a African-American woman as his VP choice.

I agree with everything you said, R62, but I’d add that there’s one exception to this last point: Elizabeth Warren. The media adores her. So since it’s down to Warren and Harris (in my opinion), Biden can’t lose when it comes to media castigation over his decision.

by Anonymousreply 71July 2, 2020 11:40 AM

Biden is defaulting to the time-tested play that says when your opponent is busy self-destructing, stay out of his way, lest you get hit by shrapnel.

Another huge Biden advantage: Team Trump is trying to push a narrative that Biden will be controlled by "radical leftists" like AOC and destroy to country.

People might have believed that about Warren or even Harris. (And definitely Bernie)

But Biden? No way,

by Anonymousreply 72July 2, 2020 11:45 AM

Biden's "I'll read my briefings." tweet was another good one. Really simple message: Hit the ball and hit your mark. The message is: I succeed. I got this. Even if I do the minimum, I'll be a better president.

Really his whole campaign can be reactions to DT's tweets and actions. It's vex Trump because Biden can always be the last word, the retort. And then disengage from that topic and watch Trump spin his wheels responding to Biden's response and explaining and blaming and spluttering.

by Anonymousreply 73July 2, 2020 1:18 PM

Funny, very few actual black people were offended by the "you ain't black" gaffe. Some are amused by his attempts to coopt black-speak. Similar to the even cringier "they gon' put y'all back in chains" one.

by Anonymousreply 74July 3, 2020 2:19 PM

Everyone who criticized Joe Biden over that comment had some sort of ulterior motive behind it.

by Anonymousreply 75July 3, 2020 10:32 PM

Message from Mighty Joe Biden: wear a mask.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 3, 2020 10:34 PM

This is what Joe gets from the mainstream media for his now unprecedented run as a candidate: yeah he’s doing great but he still might blow it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77July 4, 2020 11:17 AM

Biden should pick a few people who would really annoy DT and do "fact checking with Joe Biden." If DT says some horseshit about black people, JB responds with, 'Well, I actually HAVE a black friend. Let's check some facts" and he FaceTimes, a little croooked (you can see the ceiling fan and half of his masked face) Barack Obama and all my President Obama needs to do is that "come ON" smirk and that's that campaign.

DT says some shit about immigrants? There's Joe fact checking with (who's an immigrant bete noire for DT?)---

you get the picture.

by Anonymousreply 78July 5, 2020 11:17 AM

The VP rollout was a masterstroke. It was very suspenseful and resulted in the most sensible choice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79August 11, 2020 11:02 PM

Joe Biden is killing it and he still gets no credit for anything.

by Anonymousreply 80September 16, 2020 8:30 PM

I've thought about this. I think he picked Kamala as VP a couple years ago, then had her run for POTUS to get her face out there.

by Anonymousreply 81September 16, 2020 8:36 PM

Dump is not going to like the fact that Mighty Joe Biden seems to be sticking as a nickname.

Mighty Joe is a great catchphrase from a marketing perspective. It sticks. Nothing Diapers is doing is sticking.

by Anonymousreply 82September 16, 2020 11:30 PM

This is the only Mighty Joe I acknowledge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83September 17, 2020 12:38 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84October 4, 2020 3:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!