Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ever Make a Warrantee Claim?

When I was replacing my last couch with a new one, at the same store at which I bought my last two couches, the saleswoman and I were closing the deal. As she was writing up the invoice, she pitched the fabric protection plan: “It’s $350 for five years! But you don’t have to do anything. We send someone out and they clean it and if they can’t get it clean we replace it...”

So I said, “just a minute, are the springs warranted?” She replied that they had a ten year warrantee, and I said, that I had told her a few times already that the springs on my 7 year old couch were shot, and that’s why I was replacing it, so let’s open a warrantee claim. She then had a fit, and rattled off a list of places she worked where no one had ever made a warrantee claim. This, right after she pitched a costly warrantee plan for the fabric.

These merchants use their warrantee as a selling point. The customer thinks, well, if they are that confident about the next 10 years, that’s a quality product. Of course, if you ever need a warrantee, you forget you have one, or can no longer find the paperwork.

Rather than fight them over getting a new couch for free as per the warrantee, I told them I was losing three years of use out of the ten year warrantee period, or 30%, so if they credited me for 30% on the new couch. We could call it even, and they agreed to that.

Anybody else make a warrantee claim?

by Anonymousreply 43July 1, 2020 12:24 AM

Made a claim under Totes' lifetime warranty for their umbrellas. Pretty painless process, you just have to mail in the strap from the old umbrella and pay $5 for shipping. Got an even better umbrella than the original!

by Anonymousreply 1June 25, 2020 3:46 AM

Warranty, not warrantee.

Guarantee, not guaranty.

by Anonymousreply 2June 25, 2020 5:01 AM

I noticed that Simmons used to have a 10-year full-replacement policy for springs. Sometime in the last 7 years, they changed the policy so that now, they will credit you on a prorated bases over ten years. This means in year 9 after purchase, if you file a warranty claim, you’ll only get 10% of the cost, towards the purchase of a new mattress. .

by Anonymousreply 3June 25, 2020 6:40 AM

I haven't ever made a warrantee claim, but I have made a warranTY claim.

by Anonymousreply 4June 25, 2020 11:45 AM

I don't watch television very much, so when I bought one from Circuit City years ago and it had a problem, I ignored it. As I moved through the channels, it would hit a certain numbered channel and shut itself off. If I was moving up in the channels, it did it. If I was moving down in the channels, same thing. So, just don't hit that number and forget about it.

In the days before the warranty expired, I took it back and told them to fix it. They declined and told me to go pick out a new television and they gave me a full credit for the entire purchase prices of the first television. Fine by me. I walked out with a bigger and better television that I still didn't watch very much.

by Anonymousreply 5June 25, 2020 12:12 PM

It's in the manatee family.

by Anonymousreply 6June 25, 2020 12:26 PM

Wow, R5, that sounds great., every once in a while a merchant does something surprisingly nice.

Your Circuit City reference reminds me of my recent experience with Best Buy. I bought a PC with the extended warranty, and it came with a 14 return policy. It took me a few days to get around to setting it up. I was unable to get it to work, so that took a few days before I gave up. Then I called the Geek Squad, who share ownership and a building with Best Buy, and they scheduled a geek to come by. That took a few days before he arrived. He couldn’t get the PC go boot either. He said “no charge”, which was cool. Finally, I brought the PC back to the store.

They refused to give me a replacement PC, but since I had purchased the warranty, they would fix it free. It took them three tries to reimagine it before it started working.

What grinds my gears is that the first thing they asked was, “did you check in the store to see if it was working when you purchased it?” What a stupid question. I told them I didn’t unbox the thing there, because I assumed they sold functioning electronics. If they recognized my call to the Geek Squad as notice under the warranty, they would have been obligated to replace the PC, but they said that the Geek Squad is a different company. So they tried to pass the buck, twice. I was just lucky I spent $200 extra on the extended warranty. I’ve had no problem with the PC since.

I absolutely hate Best Buy, but since Circuit City closed, there really isn’t a convenient alternative.

by Anonymousreply 7June 25, 2020 12:53 PM

I had a Dodge Caravan years ago back when they had the 7 yr/70,000 mile warranty. My transmission went up at like 69,900 miles. Got a new transmission free of charge under warranty.

by Anonymousreply 8June 25, 2020 2:30 PM

I once bought a DVD player on sale at Circuit City for $30. At check out they said I could buy the warranty for $35. I said, why don't I just go buy a second $30 dvd player and just plug it in when the first one breaks?

by Anonymousreply 9June 25, 2020 3:38 PM

I can't remember anyone anywhere ever having spelled out that word as "warrantee."

How odd.

by Anonymousreply 10June 25, 2020 3:40 PM

a warranty is warranty and I would never settle for anything less than what was promised me on my purchase. When I first moved to the small town that I live in if anyone bought anything that didn't work they just threw it away and then went and bought another one. They never took anything back. I was amazed. I changed that. They were grateful.

by Anonymousreply 11June 25, 2020 3:47 PM

^ There's a new Karen in town.

by Anonymousreply 12June 25, 2020 3:55 PM

And she's....feelin' GOOD

Has a lecture and a smile

for the NEIGHBORHOOD

by Anonymousreply 13June 25, 2020 3:57 PM

10 full years into my relationship with my now deceased partner, I saw him filling out a little form and packing it into an envelope along with one of those self inking hand stampers that have your return address imprinted onto them. He had a file of papers out while he was doing this. So, I inquired.

He told me that he ordered it from a Sunday advertising supplement for a few dollars... several years before he met me. The promise was that if you moved, just send it back and they would update the address at no charge. We had just moved. Every time we moved in those years, he sent it back and they updated the damned thing. My estimate is that the had it updated at least six times in 12 years. Free.

I would never ever ever have saved that original advertisement with "FREE!" printed on it. Nor would I have carried the file from coast to coast. He did. He made copies and he sent one in every time. I was so surprised by the whole thing. Not just that he did it, but it was a perfect example of just how he was.

by Anonymousreply 14June 25, 2020 4:02 PM

Miss R11 is single-handedly raising standards in Bumfuck.

by Anonymousreply 15June 25, 2020 4:57 PM

Yes, R14, you have to be organized.

by Anonymousreply 16June 25, 2020 5:42 PM

I have a Moen kitchen faucet, that if you buy it, you buy it for life. It has been replaced 4x's for free in the last 35 years, each time with a new updated faucet.

by Anonymousreply 17June 25, 2020 5:54 PM

R17’ that’s great! I got my Kohler faucet replaced after 10 years for free, even though I only needed a filter, but I wasn’t going to argue with them.

by Anonymousreply 18June 25, 2020 6:17 PM

99% of product warranties are just money thrown to the wind. They're never used. I NEVER buy them.

by Anonymousreply 19June 25, 2020 6:23 PM

Still, some warranties are free.

I bought the warranty for my cherrywood desk and had the repair guys here for scratches. The first time the guy was a pro. The second time, the guy made it worse, but I didn’t want to complain.

I’ve heard that the warranties that you purchase aren’t worth it, on average.

by Anonymousreply 20June 25, 2020 6:29 PM

I purchased an extended warranty for my current car and the one before it. In both cases, the warranties more than paid for themselves. I think that warranty companies sell their policies on the assumption that most people will get rid of a car before they're old enough to need serious repairs.

by Anonymousreply 21June 25, 2020 7:21 PM

I had a boss who was a huge asshole, he was telling me about buying a refrigerator from Montgomery Ward, and them trying to sell him an extended warranty. He told the salesman that after spending that much money on a new refrigerator if it broke that soon he was going to throw it through their window. He probably would have too.

by Anonymousreply 22June 25, 2020 7:44 PM

The refrigerator probably lasted longer than Montgomery Ward did.

by Anonymousreply 23June 25, 2020 9:14 PM

I bought a set of Dunlop tires and replaced two of them under warranty.

Another Totes replacement here - The pop-up mechanism jammed. Totes replaced it with a better umbrella.

I had an American Tourister black-nylon briefcase with shoulder strap. One of the metal pieces in the strap just broke. It turned out it wasn't metal, rather metallicized ceramic. I had to take it to an authorized repair shop, which put in an actual metal replacement piece.

by Anonymousreply 24June 25, 2020 9:17 PM

Furniture warranties are a huge scam. Don’t ever take them out. I know because I used to work in the business and saw how shady they were.

by Anonymousreply 25June 25, 2020 9:26 PM

OP, what furniture store?

by Anonymousreply 26June 25, 2020 9:38 PM

R7 I had similar bad experience with Best Buy. I bought a laptop, didn't buy the extended warranty, but I returned it within the 14 return policy b/c the screen was broken. They looked at it and said "it's broken so we can't take it back." I argued with them and it did no good.

by Anonymousreply 27June 25, 2020 10:06 PM

Years ago I bought a bathmat at Bed, Bath, and Beyond (I think it was) that had a 5-year warrantee. After maybe 4-1/2 years I returned it, as the back was peaking off, and they wouldn't honor their warrantee. I think they claimed it was abused with too much dryer time. I was frustrated but bought two identical replacementS because they marched my bathroom perfectly.

Lesson learned. The next time the bath mat was nearing its end life, I made sure I returned it, using the most recent receipt, and bought an identical replacement, so my out of pocket expense was a wash. Then, I went back more times years later, with receipt for the most recent mat, for a free replacement. So, I purchased it 3 times, but got more than 15 years use out of multiple mats.

Then I think they declared bankruptcy.

by Anonymousreply 28June 27, 2020 2:10 PM

No but I’ve made lots of manatee claims

by Anonymousreply 29June 27, 2020 2:23 PM

Unfortunately yes. This was back in the early 2000's. Bought a stupid protection warranty from Verizon for my cell phone. They charged me a $35 "processing fee" to replace my phone, and replaced it with a lower quality refurbished phone.

by Anonymousreply 30June 27, 2020 2:29 PM

[quote] The next time the bath mat was nearing its end life, I made sure I returned it, using the most recent receipt

How can you return a bath mat years later?

by Anonymousreply 31June 30, 2020 1:04 AM

R31,if it has a five year warranty that says “we will replace this mat...”

by Anonymousreply 32June 30, 2020 1:07 AM

[quote] This means in year 9 after purchase, if you file a warranty claim, you’ll only get 10% of the cost, towards the purchase of a new mattress. .

You mean after using it without issue for nine years?

How DARE they.

by Anonymousreply 33June 30, 2020 1:15 AM

Yes only once for my sonee teevee.

by Anonymousreply 34June 30, 2020 1:17 AM

[quote] R31, if it has a five year warranty that says “we will replace this mat...”

But the post says "lesson learned" because they wouldn't honor the warranty.

by Anonymousreply 35June 30, 2020 1:23 AM

R33, a warranty is like a contract. If a manufacturer uses a warranty as a selling point, they should honor it. Not say, before the end of the warranty period, that they were just kidding. If they can’t make money with a 10-year warranty, they should make it a 5 year warranty.

by Anonymousreply 36June 30, 2020 1:30 AM

Is that where you try to return a damaged manatee you purchased, OP?

by Anonymousreply 37June 30, 2020 4:41 AM

Yes, exactly, R37!

by Anonymousreply 38June 30, 2020 5:28 PM

R26, I don’t want to mention the furniture store‘s name, as I am considering a warranty claim now. That’s why I opened the thread. Not that this would sway me. I was just curious.

by Anonymousreply 39June 30, 2020 6:36 PM

R39 it’s Bob’s Discount Furniture right? Notorious for not paying out. Cheap crap.

by Anonymousreply 40June 30, 2020 9:29 PM

No, R40, but their commercials look cheap.

by Anonymousreply 41June 30, 2020 9:48 PM

Lol, I doubt Bob’s Discount Furniture has warranties.

by Anonymousreply 42July 1, 2020 12:12 AM

The last few extended warranties on my laptops from Best buy they've replaced cause usually they can't fix. For the tablets also on the last year they don't bother fixing, they just replaced. Well worth it for electronica.

by Anonymousreply 43July 1, 2020 12:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!