Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Los Angeles Protesters Take Down Father Junipero Serra Statue

What the hell is going on in LaLa land? I grew up in Los Angeles and moved to Seattle two years ago for a job.

It's kind of sad to see this happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 1, 2020 6:46 AM

Oh leave Father Junipero Serra alone!

by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2020 4:50 AM

Shades of Pol Pot.

by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2020 4:50 AM

Can we get them to the SF Bay Area, and take down this one?It's been a public eyesore for decades.

It's at a rest stop on the 280 freeway in San Mateo, if anyone needs directions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2020 4:50 AM

This Junípero Serra guy sounds like an asshole and so you do, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2020 4:53 AM

**so do you

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2020 4:53 AM

How hard is it to find a statue of a person in your country who didn't own human beings or participate in the systematic genocide of Native Americans? What a total shithole.

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2020 4:58 AM

They don’t have a clue who or what these statues are or represent. Fucking morons. Say President Trump for four more years.

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2020 5:00 AM

There’s the rub, r6. Our nation was built on savagery and slavery.

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2020 5:03 AM

[quote] Say President Trump for four more years.

Furiously jerking off to this idea for the last 3 years doesn't make it any more plausible, buddy. He's done just like your racist statues. Bye! You're going to hell!

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2020 5:06 AM

Father Junipero Serra didn't do anything except convert all the barbarians to Christianity.

by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2020 5:09 AM

Father Junipero Serra on top of being a colonizing pig was statistically a child rapist. Let him burn.

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2020 5:09 AM

My neighbor had a great idea: just cut off the heads of the offending statues and have a new one commissioned for someone you approve of. Replace Jefferson Davis' head with that of Fred Rogers or some other nonthreatening character. I mean, why waste a whole statue?

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2020 5:42 AM

[quote] Father Junipero Serra on top of being a colonizing pig was statistically a child rapist.

History can be so intriguing. Please tell us more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2020 5:52 AM

They’re STILL protesting? Do these people have jobs? If not, shouldn’t they be spending their time looking for one? How are they paying their bills?

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2020 5:58 AM

Junipero Serra Blvd which runs from Daly City south to San Bruno and the Junipero Serra Freeway (which everyone calls 280 but that's besides the point) which runs from Daly City to San Jose need name changes STAT!

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2020 6:09 AM

We protest in shifts, Rose!

Ask these statues memorizing these horrible "Christian" men need to come downing stat. Genocide should not be celebrated.

by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2020 6:11 AM

[quote]Genocide should not be celebrated.

Then churches should be destroyed as well.

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2020 6:29 AM

All statues henceforth MUST be of TWOC. I graciously withdraw my name from the list of people whom statues will be erected in honor of.

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2020 6:33 AM

All these low life dirtbags running around vandalizing and looting deserves to be shot!

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2020 7:00 AM

"Can we get them to the SF Bay Area, and take down this one"

No I'm sorry. The SJWBLMs never do anything helpful or constructive.

by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2020 7:06 AM

R6 lol - Thanks for the sanctimonious moralizing about our nation’s history.

Coming from a German that really means a lot.

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2020 7:06 AM

[R6] talking shit from a city that placed children with paedophiles for 30 years. No country ever liberated itself by destroying it's history.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2020 7:15 AM

And in London:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 24, 2020 9:39 AM

People need to start considering the possibility that some of this is the work of people who just want to commit vandalism, or of infiltrators taking down statues to make the entire movement look bad.

There have been a lot of Confederate statues removed by cities in the wake of all this, but instead the media is focusing on the statues that maybe don't need to come down, or at the very least would be at the bottom of the list of statues to be removed. I find that odd.

by Anonymousreply 24June 24, 2020 9:44 AM

[quote]All these low life dirtbags running around vandalizing and looting deserves to be shot!

Vandalism doesn't get the death penalty, Gomer. Shooting people for suspected misdemeanors is how we got here in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 25June 24, 2020 10:31 AM

r12 we just found out Mr Rogers is a homophobe, no statue for him

by Anonymousreply 26June 24, 2020 11:37 AM

After St Junípero Serra statue torn down, Archbishop Cordileone offers exorcism prayers

After a mob tore down statues, including a figure of St Junípero Serra statue, in a San Francisco park, Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone was joined by several dozen Catholics Saturday in prayer and acts of spiritual reparation.

“Evil has made itself present here. So we have gathered together to pray for God, to ask the saints…for their intercession, above all our Blessed Mother, in an act of reparation, asking God’s mercy on us and on the whole city, that we might turn our hearts back towards him,” Cordileone said in a June 27 video.

The St Junípero Serra statue was torn down in Golden Gate Park the evening of June 19 by a crowd of about 100 people. The crowd also tore down statues of Francis Scott Key, author of the National Anthem, and Ulysses S. Grant, U.S. president and Union Army general who defeated the Confederate States of America.

On Saturday, several dozen people joined the Archbishop of San Francisco to pray.

more at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 29, 2020 9:14 PM

Priests were crucified on icons in churches during the Russian Revolution. The Tsar was bad and all that but really...

by Anonymousreply 28June 29, 2020 9:27 PM

Ok so can conservatives take down statutes of Frederick Douglass and Martin Luther King now? If not, why not? I want to understand how groups of people can just unilaterally destroy public symbols now.

by Anonymousreply 29June 29, 2020 9:32 PM

We won't remove shit in our country !

by Anonymousreply 30June 29, 2020 9:41 PM

[quote] Ok so can conservatives take down statutes of Frederick Douglass and Martin Luther King now?

All statues of Martin Luther should be taken down, and the resulting metal used to create evidence of indulgences from the Church.

by Anonymousreply 31June 29, 2020 9:42 PM

R29 - the reason F&Fs were created

by Anonymousreply 32June 29, 2020 9:45 PM

R29 Conservatives are persona non grata, as evidence in R32

by Anonymousreply 33June 29, 2020 9:50 PM

Ulysses Grant? Why?

by Anonymousreply 34June 29, 2020 9:54 PM

R30 I bet Macron didn't use those words.

by Anonymousreply 35June 30, 2020 12:10 AM

[quote] [R29] - the reason F&Fs were created

You’re living proof of everything odious about Woke pseudo-progressivism ... including the totalitarian smugness in the belief that people whose ideas align with yours can do anything and everything they want without consequence, and anyone who sees things differently from you is a monster who should be annihilated.

And I say that not as a conservative, but as a paleo-liberal, from a bygone age in which we used to actually do things to make peoples loved better — not just scream with outrage on social media to make ourselves look good.

by Anonymousreply 36June 30, 2020 12:40 AM

^^^ lives, not loves, but after Stonewall, loves works too

by Anonymousreply 37June 30, 2020 12:42 AM

You're right R36, the smug Woke SJWS love to cancel just as much as the religious evangelist zealots love to cancel their opposition.

by Anonymousreply 38June 30, 2020 12:47 AM

So they're removing Latino statues now?

by Anonymousreply 39June 30, 2020 12:55 AM

R22: Did you cry about history when the statues of Stalin came down in 1990? No? Then shut the fuck up. The rest of you trash in this thread crying about this need to cry harder. CRY. HARDER!

by Anonymousreply 40June 30, 2020 1:02 AM

the archbishop of SF is a real conservative but I think that was the right gesture.

by Anonymousreply 41June 30, 2020 1:05 AM

R40 is clearly Stalin.

by Anonymousreply 42June 30, 2020 1:11 AM

The Gulags were necessary educational institutions. (R40)

by Anonymousreply 43June 30, 2020 1:14 AM

R43 is a troll. No one thinks that the gulags (where people were worked/starved to death) were necessary educational institutions. The only people who do think that are historically illiterate "useless idiots" as Lenin once said who have no place in civil discourse.

by Anonymousreply 44June 30, 2020 1:19 AM

R43 is Lavrenty Beria.

R42: The very people crying about history right now were cheering their balls off when Stalin statues came down in Eastern Europe 30 years ago. That's the point.

by Anonymousreply 45June 30, 2020 1:21 AM

R40 No, I didn't, but Communists like you probably did.

R45 Stalin murdered 100 million people in concentration camps, but I don't expect a sociopath like you to empathize with that.

by Anonymousreply 46June 30, 2020 1:23 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 30, 2020 1:26 AM

As far as I'm concerned, they can tear down any statue they want, as long as they don't touch Scary Lucy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 30, 2020 1:36 AM

R47 That picture is horrendous.

These young dopes want to demolish handsome realistic bronze statues and replace with it with meaningless stainless steel junk like this!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 30, 2020 1:43 AM

R47 Horrifying. What are they teaching in college today?

by Anonymousreply 50June 30, 2020 1:49 AM

Junipero Serra should not be treated with respect and honor. He should have kept his damned stinking Catholicism in Spain.

by Anonymousreply 51June 30, 2020 1:55 AM

The Catholic Church is the one and only true Christian church!

by Anonymousreply 52June 30, 2020 1:57 AM

They want to take down every status of white person!

by Anonymousreply 53June 30, 2020 2:27 AM

If you don't understand why these protestors are destroying all these statues and basically on a mission to erase American history, I'm think you are going to wake up to a surprise one day.

Here is a hint:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 30, 2020 2:27 AM

I'm too dumb to understand your hint, R54. Could you be more explicit?

by Anonymousreply 55June 30, 2020 5:28 AM

Serra was a true intellectual: courageous, fanatical, humorless, and cruel.

by Anonymousreply 56June 30, 2020 8:36 AM

Goldsmiths was the same gay student group that allied with the Muslim students even after it came out that the Muslim students leader was calling gays an abomination on Twitter. Chickens for KFC. Jews for Hitler. Mice for cats.

by Anonymousreply 57June 30, 2020 3:23 PM

[quote] Goldsmiths was the same gay student group that allied with the Muslim students even after it came out that the Muslim students leader was calling gays an abomination on Twitter.

Thanks for the refresher, R57. I knew that name sounded familiar. I saw a video about some event in the UK where they showed their true colors.

by Anonymousreply 58June 30, 2020 3:32 PM

The hysteria on these threads is, well, hysterical.

I see you, Boris!

by Anonymousreply 59June 30, 2020 3:48 PM

Goldsmith Queer Group apparently had no gays or lesbians in it. The student government shut it down (it was they not the university that had power to do that). They also joined with the Muflim in harassing a Muslim feminist who come on campus to speak. These are the ones we have to watch out for. Police brutality and murder of Black folk is unacceptable and I am glad something is being done about it because of the demonstrations. They remind me of ACT-UP on a larger scale. But hopefully the far and hard left doesn't exploit this injustice.

by Anonymousreply 60June 30, 2020 3:51 PM

Not Muflim, rather Muslim group ^

by Anonymousreply 61June 30, 2020 3:53 PM

I like the sound of the name Junipero Serra. I'll miss it. I'll miss Columbus Avenue too.

by Anonymousreply 62June 30, 2020 4:03 PM

[quote] Vandalism doesn't get the death penalty, Gomer. Shooting people for suspected misdemeanors is how we got here in the first place.

Understood. It's totally acceptable to break the law. People get away with murder after all. Why should I care?

by Anonymousreply 63June 30, 2020 4:05 PM

R36, at least I'm alive enough to recognize a load of horseshit being shoveled around. Bitch knows why conservatives can't remove MLK statues in retaliation for the removal of monuments to traitors.

Woke? Guess if you're going to be labeled.....

Poor babies don't like the F&Fs - what are you afraid of? Censorship of your right to stir up shit? This may be a public forum, but we have rules, no matter how many trolls infest the joint.

I know my bias is real, and yep, I'm 'woke' enough to admit it and keep checking myself. I know my heart.

You and your ilk? You show your ass everytime you post.

by Anonymousreply 64June 30, 2020 8:38 PM

Wait! This took place in Olvera Plaza? Isn't that where the San Junipero statue was located?

by Anonymousreply 65June 30, 2020 8:49 PM

R55, you are not too dumb. You just refuse to see what is in front of our own face.

by Anonymousreply 66July 1, 2020 6:34 AM

R56, is your dick too small too?

by Anonymousreply 67July 1, 2020 6:36 AM

R48 Hate to tell you, but Scary Lucy has been gone since 2016. She was replaced with a new statue that looks more like Lucy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68July 1, 2020 6:43 AM

^^^eta: Scary Lucy looked more like Scary Eleanor Roosevelt.

by Anonymousreply 69July 1, 2020 6:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!