Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The 30 Rock Blackface episodes are DEAD TO ME!

BLACKFACE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 10, 2020 12:06 AM

I knew this was coming.

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2020 11:36 PM

Sad :( it’s the best satire, but I know that doesn’t matter. But goodbye Two Black Swans :(

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2020 11:40 PM

Better order the complete series before the price skyrockets.

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2020 11:50 PM

Fair enough. But “white chicks” should be cancelled too for white face

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2020 11:54 PM

NOW this has all gone too far! They are censoring my Liz Lemmon, I will not stand for it!

by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2020 11:56 PM

Why is it always people who call themselves liberal who are the ones doing blackface?

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2020 12:20 AM

They were not ok when it aired, and I say this as someone who loved the show.

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2020 12:25 AM

This is why I am glad I still buy physical media.

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2020 12:31 AM

R7 I was pretty surprised at the time. It really didn’t make sense for them to do

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2020 12:32 AM

How much longer before Mixed Blessings from the Golden Girls and The Rowdy Girls from Designing women get pulled?

by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2020 12:39 AM

Blackface is harmless.

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2020 12:43 AM

R11 “it doesn’t affect me so it shouldn’t matter to anyone”

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2020 12:45 AM

[quote] Why is it always people who call themselves liberal who are the ones doing blackface?

Why is it always people who call themselves liberal who are now pro censorship and push themselves as the moral arbiters over the rest of us?

by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2020 12:47 AM

Jenna in blackface was one of the funniest episodes they ran.

Jon Hamm in blackface not so much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2020 11:06 AM

I bought the third season of The Simpsons on DVD last year after they pulled the Michael Jackson episode. Previously, I'd have said it was a complete waste of money, because The Simpsons airs multiple times a day. But I'm realising that physical media does have a place, because streaming services can "disappear" problematic content. (I fully believe Michael Jackson was a predator, as it happens. I just don't see the point in removing the episode. It exists, and if anything it's a reminder of how ubiquitous Michael Jackson was in those days, which was a big factor in how he got away with so much.)

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2020 12:33 PM

R12 it doesn't affect or harm anyone. Its just makeup. You think when an actor puts on blackface their head levitates off the tv to headbutt black people? Stroppy cunts come in every race and tribe.

by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2020 1:05 PM

It's too bad the East Coast live episode from Season 5 has now been deleted from history. It was much better than the West Coast version, where Alec Baldwin and Tracy Morgan fucked up their lines and it was lower energy.

The issues were a fake commercial Jon Hamm did for hand transplants where he had a black convicted killer's hand. And a chyron on a Fox News parody that described Obama as a "lying Kenyan." They could have just been edited out or replaced with the West Coast versions, which were different. (They changed a number of things between the two shows.)

by Anonymousreply 17June 24, 2020 12:44 AM

So it's Christmas Attack Show and Live Show. What are the other two with black face?

by Anonymousreply 18June 24, 2020 8:40 AM

When they’ve finished cancelling everything, will they come for people who speak with sassy Ebonics accents. The white people who say things like “Ain’t nobody got time for dat!” Or start their sentences with “Giiirrl...” Will they cancel black-acting white people next?

by Anonymousreply 19June 24, 2020 9:58 AM

Jenna dancing down the hallway in blackface singing "Ease on Down the Road" was one of the funniest things i've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 20June 24, 2020 10:04 AM

^What episode is that?

I loved the Rural Juror.

I hope there's nothing in that episode that's offensive. Besides casting aspersions on country folk's ability to be an impartial juror.

by Anonymousreply 21June 24, 2020 10:29 AM

I didn't think too much about the blackface episodes on "30 Rock" until Tina Fey devoted a whole season of "Kimmy Schmidt" to trying to "take down SJWs" with a plotline about cultural appropriation. It was dumb, too, the kind of thing you'd hear a troll on Datalounge say: "Oh yeah well what if a BLACK PERSON appropriated ASIAN CULTURE, huh? Huh? What would you PC thought police do THEN!?!?"

It's not that I dislike Tina Fey or anything, she just seems kind of immature and mean-girly.

by Anonymousreply 22June 24, 2020 10:34 AM

Don't worry. Casting aspersions on country folk is acceptable to woke Manhattan and Los Angeles sophisticates.

by Anonymousreply 23June 24, 2020 10:34 AM

The Tracy Jordan character was basically minstrel.

The gay characters Devin nas Dfwann were bad, too. Even the female representation was shabby; nas the writers were clearly aware of that.

I liked it, for most part, but it was a conservative show; just see how often Jack Donaghy was depicted as the voice of reason after all was said and done in the episodes.

by Anonymousreply 24June 24, 2020 10:44 AM

[quote]Why is it always people who call themselves liberal who are the ones doing blackface?

In the 1970s and early 1980s it was considered liberal humor to use blackface in a way that acknowledged how racist it had been, it was considered a way to acknowledge it and take away its racist power. Not sure that it actually worked out that way. In the case of Richard Pryor and "Silver Streak," he was metaphorically taking blackface away from whites. He'd done similar work in "Blazing Saddles."

People who grew up with that kind of humor also sadly grew up with fratboy white guy humor a la National Lampoon, and they appropriated blackface in a racist way, but pretending they were just "exposing the racism through humor." Overall, it was a mixed message.

A lot of young Boomer and GenX comedians grew up with that and this is the result, I think.

by Anonymousreply 25June 24, 2020 10:46 AM

[quote]It's not that I dislike Tina Fey or anything, she just seems kind of immature and mean-girly.

Let me tell ya about Tina Fey...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 24, 2020 10:52 AM

The episode where Titus performed as the geisha he was in a past life was brilliant, R22. I guess you could call it a “take down of SJWs”... sort of. I think Tina Fey is a smart, self-aware writer. There’s always a wink and a nod To her stuff, o matter how outrageous.

by Anonymousreply 27June 24, 2020 10:58 AM

The concept was obviously aimed at people complaining about cultural appropriation, R27. And it wasn't just one episode, that "Kimono You Don't" thing was basically the whole season.

The plot about Jackie being Lakota was exactly the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 28June 24, 2020 11:05 AM

Yet all the episodes feature homophobe Tracey Morgan can stay

by Anonymousreply 29June 24, 2020 11:30 AM

R21, the "Ease on Down the Road" episode was season 3, episode 2, "Believe in the Stars". It doubly sucks because it's the episode where Liz sits next to "Oprah" on a flight.

I can't believe that no one brings up the legit transphobic dialogue, i.e. referring to Will Forte as "shim" when he's dressed in women's clothing.

by Anonymousreply 30June 24, 2020 6:33 PM

Oh, I'm sure the transphobia is coming soon. I've already seen comments about it. I'm sure they'll end up pulling the entire show, which is a shame, because I never found any of the show terribly mean spirited.

People are even coming after Mrs. Doubtfire and Tootsie and saying they're transphobic, which I don't understand at all. Any movie with a man in a dress will probably be unavailable on streaming sites in the next decade. Hold on to your DVDs and Blu-Rays.

by Anonymousreply 31June 24, 2020 7:26 PM

The Kimmy Schmidt episode where the kids got so offended that they disappeared was hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 32June 24, 2020 7:27 PM

Everyone got roasted on 30 Rock. Liz Lemon's character got mocked just as much as, or more than, anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 33June 24, 2020 8:09 PM

Tina Fey was wrong to base a whole season of Kimmy to try to take down SJWs. She was butthurt over being called out on something and she thought, "I'll show you!" But demanding to be treated equally, and to not have "racist" (with a wink) jokes be a cover for actual racist jokes -- well, it's not the fad that Tina anticipated. Its a movement and it's the future. Full stop.

This is coming from someone who still loves Tina's shows. I'm a big 30 Rock fan and loved Kimmy Schmidt. But Tina has to put on her big girl pants and understand that the world is changing and she can either write to those changes or she can sit on her porch waving her cane at protesters. Unfortunately sometimes I get the feeling she'd rather have the porch option.

by Anonymousreply 34June 24, 2020 8:40 PM

Exactly r34. Ironic hipster racism, still racism.

by Anonymousreply 35June 25, 2020 3:02 AM

𝗔𝗻𝗱 𝗻𝗼𝘄 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝘆 𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗦𝗖𝗥𝗨𝗕𝗦

‘Scrubs’ Episodes Featuring Blackface Removed From Hulu

The episodes in question are “My Fifteen Seconds” (season 3, episode 7), “My Jiggly Ball” (season 5, episode 4) and “My Chopped Liver” (season 5, episode 17). One featured Zach Braff’s lead character in blackface at a party, while another saw Sarah Chalke’s character in blackface during a fantasy sequence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 25, 2020 3:11 AM

What about It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia? Will they be removing their blackface episodes? I don't think they should since they're true satires on race, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

by Anonymousreply 37June 25, 2020 6:46 PM

R36 Political correctness will kill all comedy. To all you precious snowflakes who are SO offended by blackface in any context, etc. FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't really care much for Jimmy Fallon. But his blackface was to imitate Chris Rock (quite well, BTW). It was not some degrading, minstrel show. So again, FUCK YOU!!!!! It must be terrible to be so butt hurt all the time. But when you raise a generation of people who always get a trophy and are always special, you get perpetual victims.

by Anonymousreply 38June 25, 2020 7:05 PM

Can't we cancel Tina Fey? Please!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 39June 25, 2020 7:15 PM

MORE, MORE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 26, 2020 8:25 PM

r40

that's fine... The Office wasn't funny then

by Anonymousreply 41June 26, 2020 8:28 PM

MORE, MORE! AGAIN, AGAIN!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 27, 2020 12:10 AM

Is "Soap" streaming anywhere? I'd hate to see this episode go away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 27, 2020 12:18 AM

Next, all images of blackface will be taken off youtube, then officially banned from the internet. Then no longer available on dvd/blu ray.

by Anonymousreply 44June 27, 2020 12:34 PM

well fuck... that is an awesome episode but they aren't doing blackface

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 28, 2020 5:25 PM

I was ok with all the other stuff, but The Golden Girls? Really? That's not even blackface? They even say it's not blackface. This has officially gone too far.

by Anonymousreply 46June 28, 2020 7:44 PM

We're rewatching Frasier in lockdown, and we watched the Dr Mary episode last night. Yikes. They would not get away with that today, although the episode makes some good points about Frasier's insular lifestyle and white guilt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 29, 2020 2:53 PM

It's sounding like they want to take Tina Fey's Mark Twain award from her.

by Anonymousreply 48June 29, 2020 6:57 PM

r48

where is that from?

by Anonymousreply 49June 29, 2020 7:03 PM

There it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 29, 2020 7:12 PM

R47, I was watching that episode recently, too, and could stop thinking that it wouldn't make it on the air today, because it's so uncomfortable. It makes some good points, though.

by Anonymousreply 51June 29, 2020 7:23 PM

[quote] I can't believe that no one brings up the legit transphobic dialogue, i.e. referring to Will Forte as "shim" when he's dressed in women's clothing.

How can this be transphobic when the character was never intended to be trans?

by Anonymousreply 52June 30, 2020 12:28 AM

I don't believe Soap is streaming anywhere, R43.

I have the DVDs and watch the whole series a few times a year. It's one of the best sitcoms ever made. That scene got some of the biggest laughs from a studio audience I've ever heard.

FWIW, Robert Guillaume (who was always an advocate for better black representation on TV) said it was his favorite episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 9, 2020 10:24 PM

Oh wow, you can’t even buy the episodes on iTunes. The Oprah one is a classic.

by Anonymousreply 54July 10, 2020 12:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!