Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trans Flag Controversy

There’s this controversy in WeHo about removing this giant trans flag that was painted on the sidewalk. All kinds of emotions are now involved. One of the comments made me wonder, why isn’t the rainbow flag enough? Everyone seems to need their own special flag these days. The bears have their brown flag, the leather people have theirs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 23, 2020 3:55 PM

Where is the flag for furries?

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2020 5:44 PM

R1, probably. There is one for asexuals, why not furries?

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2020 5:50 PM

The whole point of the rainbow GLBTQ+ flag was that it showed all colors of the spectrum. The idea that each sexual minority gets its own flag (except of course for gay men and lesbians) invalidates that idea.

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2020 5:51 PM

I live in WeHo and I think one is fine.

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2020 5:53 PM

Pink and blue? That's extremely sexist.

by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2020 5:54 PM

T’s ruin everything, including 8 year olds lives.

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2020 5:58 PM

WeHo is a gay Mecca. Trannies aren’t gay and have nothing to do with gay people. It should be removed and shame on those people who decided to paint it.

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2020 5:59 PM

[quote] each sexual minority gets its own flag (except of course for gay men and lesbians)

Who told you there is no lesbian flag ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2020 6:00 PM

Can't we all just agree to fly this Flagg?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2020 6:05 PM

Let them have their own flag. As long as they’re not fucking ours up like the black and brown stripes did. Keep the pink and baby blue (and everything else) away from our beautiful rainbow flag.

Is it too much to ask that we have our own space?

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2020 6:07 PM

God, all this bullshit makes me wish I wasn't gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2020 6:11 PM

What does the white stripe in the middle stand for?

by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2020 6:11 PM

The creme sandwich filling.

by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2020 6:12 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not for purity, that’s for sure.

by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2020 6:22 PM

[Quote]“The stripes at the top and bottom are light blue, the traditional color for baby boys. The stripes next to them are pink, the traditional color for baby girls. The stripe in the middle is white, for those who are intersex, transitioning or consider themselves having a neutral or undefined gender."

by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2020 6:29 PM

r12, white supremacy. Most trans activists are all straight white guys who can't get laid and become 'transbians' to guilt trip lesbians into sex. They're horrible people. They're not part of LGB and they need to back the fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 16June 22, 2020 6:34 PM

The white should really be a light gray, which would align with color theory principles. Should I let them/vir/xem/hir know?

by Anonymousreply 17June 22, 2020 6:34 PM

I agree with R10. The original rainbow flag is fine like it is and doesn't need any changes. I'm fine with any other group having their own flag - just don't mess around with our rainbow flag.

by Anonymousreply 18June 22, 2020 6:43 PM

The rainbow flag is inclusive of everyone... I refuse to acknowledge other flags when it comes to sexuality

by Anonymousreply 19June 22, 2020 6:46 PM

It's an act of aggression and disrespect to put it not only in the same intersection as the rainbow sidewalks, but to make it 3x as big and put in the middle of the intersection.

They want to take over everything gay as if it is theirs and act like gays and lesbian rights wouldn't exist without them.

They don't ask - they just do. Nobody should think this is alright. It is disrespectful, as usual.

by Anonymousreply 20June 22, 2020 6:53 PM

If you want your own flag theN perhaps remove the ‘T’ from LGBT. Own flag, own designation.

by Anonymousreply 21June 22, 2020 6:57 PM

I’m fine with it—zig that community wants to separate itself from the rest of the LGB rainbow, I wouldn’t think of trying to stop them.

by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2020 7:02 PM

The colors remind me of the little card placard they place on newborn cribs at the hospital. I find it rather regressive for a group that believes that gender is a social construct.

Yellow would have been a better choice for the filling.

by Anonymousreply 23June 22, 2020 7:03 PM

And, I suppose it would be pedantic to mention that blue is for boys and pink is for girls wasn't really codified until the late 1930s, early 1940s. Prior to that it was primarily "blue is for blonds /pink is for brunettes". Pink being considered the stronger color and more suitable for the stronger hair color. Throughout the 20th century it was common to find editorials advocating the strong pink for boys and denouncing the weak blue.

by Anonymousreply 24June 22, 2020 7:24 PM

LGB rights & T rights. Two separate things.

by Anonymousreply 25June 22, 2020 7:32 PM

R24 That is interesting.

by Anonymousreply 26June 22, 2020 7:33 PM

“T” “T” “T” “T” “T” “T” “T” “T” “T” “T”

by Anonymousreply 27June 22, 2020 7:34 PM

Because if there's only the Rainbow Pride flag, only the blue and purple people etc. are represented and I can't feel special!

by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2020 7:35 PM

[quote]God, all this bullshit makes me wish I wasn't gay.

What kind of fucking delicate baby are you to say something so melodramatic (not to mention homophobic) just because of a flag? Who the fuck cares? You probably don't even live in California, let alone WeHo.

by Anonymousreply 29June 22, 2020 7:37 PM

R23, you have it wrong. They believe that ‘gender’ (i.e. regressive sexist stereotypes, boys like blue and girls like dolls) is innate and that biological sex (i.e. man and woman, sperm and egg, xx and xy chromosomes) are a colonialist fiction that white people imposed upon indigenous people. They’re the stupidest people on Earth. 2nd & 4th Wave feminists believe that gender is a social construct which strangles self-expression with conservative ideals of masculinity and femininity. Those stereotypes are what the transcult embraces, as they zealously fight to destroy all sex based legal rights for women and gay people.

by Anonymousreply 30June 22, 2020 8:02 PM

[quote] It's an act of aggression and disrespect to put it not only in the same intersection as the rainbow sidewalks, but to make it 3x as big and put in the middle of the intersection.

You are stating your boundaries!

You are stating them [italic]now[/italic] so you don't have to state them [italic]then.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 31June 22, 2020 10:35 PM

Advances in science and plastic surgery have allowed people to change their identities. But their DNA doesn't lie.

by Anonymousreply 32June 22, 2020 10:42 PM

I am fine with regular trans people. I think it's a really difficult life to live. BUT! I am not fine with people identifying as genderfluid, genderqueer, demigender, etc, like the internet stuff, and then going over the top about the fact that they are trans. Are they? I can't tell. I don't actually mind if they use those words but I think that it's insulting to most average trans people. This is just my opinion, and I usually keep to myself. I think the trans flag is ok because they go through so many unique challenges. At the same time, that's why I think terms like genderfluid and demigender, especially, pale in comparison. I might be wrong. Who knows. I think that many younger gay kids use terms like those because of gender roles and simply means they aren't typical. That's ok. But trans, really? I don't know. Sorry, my rant is done now

by Anonymousreply 33June 22, 2020 11:31 PM

r33, what are 'regular' trans people?

by Anonymousreply 34June 23, 2020 1:34 AM

Crossing that intersection is LITERAL VIOLENCE.

by Anonymousreply 35June 23, 2020 2:54 AM

[quote] But their DNA doesn't lie.

Nor does skeletal structure

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 23, 2020 6:35 AM

The trans flag is so ugly. The rainbow is cool as hell.

by Anonymousreply 37June 23, 2020 6:46 AM

Why the fuck does anyone put a flag where cars can run over it? Dumb.

by Anonymousreply 38June 23, 2020 6:51 AM

well, I fully support Trans have their own flag, and next, their own cause, their own parade...

by Anonymousreply 39June 23, 2020 8:12 AM

The trans should have their own flag and separate from the gays entirely.

by Anonymousreply 40June 23, 2020 8:15 AM

It appears the trans flag took its inspiration from the Russian flag.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 23, 2020 8:17 AM

"The whole point of the rainbow GLBTQ+ flag..."

It was the gay/same-sex love flag. The TQ++++ then came and infiltrated us and made our flag and all our other symbols, community and organisations theirs. It's a good move if they now start to break away and do their own thing.

by Anonymousreply 42June 23, 2020 8:17 AM

"what are 'regular' trans people?" - r33, the ones who genuinely have a body dysphoria and feel the need to live as the other sex but don't deny that they were born male/female and don't try to claim things like "transwomen are women" as though there really were no difference between transwomen and women-women. The ones whose concerns are more things like workplace protections than men competing in women's sports. They also hate the gender ideology.

by Anonymousreply 43June 23, 2020 8:20 AM

"I think the trans flag is ok because they go through so many unique challenges." - Yes, the trans situation is unique. That's why it should be separated from the LGB and the trans should go their own way, as only they can explain or represent their unique situation. It's not our job or responsibility or even competence, and it does us harm.

by Anonymousreply 44June 23, 2020 8:22 AM

"Advances in science and plastic surgery have allowed people to change their identities." - "Identity" is a social construct that exists only in people's heads.

by Anonymousreply 45June 23, 2020 8:23 AM

Plastic surgery is not a civil right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 23, 2020 9:43 AM

Tangentially relevant to this thread: I watched "Disclosure" on Netflix the other night. I truly started watching with an open mind and was really hoping to learn things that would make me reevaluate some of my thinking about the whole trans issue, but half way through all I got from it was: "Victim, victim, victim. Wanh, wanh, wanh" I did watch it all the way through, though.

I loved Laverne Cox on "Orange is the New Black" but she really comes across as very entitled and whiney in this documentary.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming!

by Anonymousreply 47June 23, 2020 2:22 PM

"I loved Laverne Cox on "Orange is the New Black" but she really comes across as very entitled and whiney in this documentary." - she's a transwoman, i.e. a bio man who is astonished that the whole world isn't falling at his feet, so of course is being very entitled and whiney.

by Anonymousreply 48June 23, 2020 3:08 PM

Flip it around - imagine if someone painted the rainbow flag in front of Compton's Cafeteria. There would be hell and townhall meetings and all sorts of shit.

Plus - aren't there some safety issues with painting commercial intersections? That's why they had gay crosswalks only.

by Anonymousreply 49June 23, 2020 3:18 PM

According to Advocate fave Jasmyne Cannick, Compton, Inglewood or Crenshaw would gladly welcome a flag like this. It’s just WeHo where this is rejected.

by Anonymousreply 50June 23, 2020 3:39 PM

The Advocate is institutionally captured as well. I don't know a single gay person who actually thinks T belongs in LGB nor who wants them lumped with us. And, yet, without a vote all the LGB orgs and publications were overtaken by them simultaneously.

by Anonymousreply 51June 23, 2020 3:47 PM

Painting over the traffic lane lines as they did will cause accidents and injuries. We approve.

by Anonymousreply 52June 23, 2020 3:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!