Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oscar revote Best Supporting Actress 1990

Who was your favorite?

Glenn Close in Reversal of Fortune, Winona Ryder in Mermaids and Shirley MacLaine in Postcards from the Edge were three great performances that didn't even get nominated. (the latter two at least got Globe nominations)

by Anonymousreply 57September 27, 2020 10:22 AM

Whoopi got it, Whoopi deserved it, Whoopi would get it again.

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2020 5:59 AM

Whoopi got it as a make up for The Color Purple. Hard to believe she lost that one. Whoopi would have been a much better first winner than half breed slutty Halle.

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2020 6:02 AM

R2 I love Geraldine Page in A Trip to Bountiful, and Whoopi in A Color Purple, but I do think Whoopi should have won. I think Page won one of those Lifetime Achievement type Oscars. Where the voters just decide it’s time to give them one after many failed nominations. For some reason Glenn Close has never reached that point.

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2020 6:21 AM

Don't laugh, but I thought Dianne Wiest in Edward Scissorhands gave the best female supporting performance that year. It was her relationship with Edward that was the real emotional heart of the film, especially because Wynona was terrible in it and had zero onscreen chemistry with Depp.

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2020 6:24 AM

I watched Postcards from the edge last night and have to say it is absolutely astonishing Shirley was not nominated for best supporting actress for this.. it’s a brilliant, slightly over the top, funny but heartfelt performance. She must have been guttered.

by Anonymousreply 5July 8, 2020 7:57 AM

Whoopi delivered a truly iconic and memorable performance in a monster hit movie that audiences still adore 30 years later.

by Anonymousreply 6July 8, 2020 8:25 AM

R4 Don't forgot Kathy Burke - she was great in Edward Scissorhands too. Her attempted seduction of 'Eddie' is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 7July 8, 2020 8:31 AM

Love Whoopi, but that Oscar belonged to Lorraine - she was fantastic, and the heart and soul of Goodfellas.

by Anonymousreply 8July 8, 2020 8:33 AM

Whoopi Goldberg .....meh.

by Anonymousreply 9July 8, 2020 8:36 AM

Annette Bening deserved the Oscar. Annette and no one else.

by Anonymousreply 10July 8, 2020 8:43 AM

[quote] Don't forgot Kathy Burke - she was great in Edward Scissorhands too. Her attempted seduction of 'Eddie' is hilarious.

I think you mean Kathy Bates!

by Anonymousreply 11July 8, 2020 8:49 AM

No, G, just no. You didn't get it. Stop it.

by Anonymousreply 12July 8, 2020 11:56 AM

The scene in goodfellas between lorraine & deniro “go back there and choose a dress” - i’ll never forget it. Whoopi was Ghost. Shirley mc doing i’m still here. More proof oscars are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 13July 8, 2020 12:05 PM

Remember when Datalougne used to obsess over Annette Bening?

by Anonymousreply 14July 8, 2020 12:08 PM

It was actually a great year for this category. I would take out Diane and replace with Shirley though. I really don’t know why she didn’t get nominated. Was something else involved? I get people can be omitted but it’s actually strange. She was better than Meryl in that and she was nominated.

by Anonymousreply 15July 8, 2020 12:28 PM

Wow. I had forgotten how many good movies there used to be in any given year before the major studio conglomerates starting gaming for box office and awards season.

I thought Whoopi was great in Ghost. I did love Winona as the lovesick teen in Mermaids too. Other posters have mentioned performances from Edward Scissorhands, they were great as well.

I haven’t scene Reversal of Fortune more than once, of even in its entirety, so I can’t speak to G. But I like her acting as well.

by Anonymousreply 16July 8, 2020 12:34 PM

It’s Kathy Baker

by Anonymousreply 17July 8, 2020 12:35 PM

Re:16 you are so right. The calibre of the films is out standing. You could watch all the ones mentioned on this thread right now and they stand up.

by Anonymousreply 18July 8, 2020 12:42 PM

Funny too with Annette’s cameo in Postcards. Short scene but she steals it. But Meryl lets her.

by Anonymousreply 19July 8, 2020 12:44 PM

Benning was wonderful in "The Grifters." Whoopi should have won for "The Color Purple," a performance that holds up.

by Anonymousreply 20July 8, 2020 12:48 PM

How come Glennie missed out on BSA nom? Her Co star Irons won Best Actor and the movie was well received.

Would it have been embarrassing to go from 2 lead Actress mom's back to Supporting?

by Anonymousreply 21July 8, 2020 12:50 PM

I read that Shitley absolutely DEMANDED to be campaigned in LEAD and would not go supporting for Postcards. Not sure if they actually campaigned her or not but she did get a lead BAFTA nomination.

by Anonymousreply 22July 8, 2020 12:54 PM

Oh wow. Thank you for the information. That was foolish of her! I get that but Meryl was the lead although Shirley was in a lot of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 23July 8, 2020 1:01 PM

I loved Kathy Najimy in Edward’s Scissoring!!! ❤️

by Anonymousreply 24July 8, 2020 1:24 PM

Shirley was campaigned as Supporting and got a Golden Globe nomination there. On the DVD commentary Carrie Fisher says Shirley was flabbergasted that she wasn't nominated.

I think the Academy got sick of her and her I deserve this speech. She was expected to be nominated in 88 for Madame Souzatzka, 89 for Steel Magnolias and then 90 for Postcards. She was snubbed all three times.

by Anonymousreply 25July 9, 2020 4:09 AM

I agree Shirley fucked herself over with the "I deserve this" speech. Many people watching didn't know (or didn't remember) she had been expected to win 25 years before for "The Apartment," so she sounded particularly entitled and arrogant.

by Anonymousreply 26July 9, 2020 4:56 AM

Precisely, even knowing her string of losses didn't mean she deserved to be awarded.

Meryl didn't say "Oh, about fucking time! " after she won following 12 straight losses. Geraldine Paige didn't rub the other nominees' faces in it when she finally won.

And I actually thought Julie Walters should have won instead of Shitley in 1983 for "Educating Rita". Apart from "The Apartment" Shitley didn't really deserve many of her other nominations either.

The Academy often do this, nominating a few times, then when the person finally wins they lose interest in nominating them again.

by Anonymousreply 27July 9, 2020 9:30 AM

I don’t think whoopi was anything special that ghost movie has aged horribly.

by Anonymousreply 28July 9, 2020 9:50 AM

Thank you for the discussion. Shirley absolutely deserved a nomination for postcards. She was right to be flabbergasted. I didn’t see her speech for Terms but tbh didn’t she deserve it? She had been in the business for 30 years. Interesting to see someone playing her in mrs America. I actually love Shirley MacClaine.

by Anonymousreply 29July 9, 2020 11:50 AM

R29 even if you're the most deserving winner to ever win you don't say that. It sounds beyond entitled, superior and condescending.

I think voters figured they aren't going to award her again so soon so why waste a nomination on her? And of course after Postcards she's done almost nothing worthy of a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 30July 9, 2020 12:22 PM

I’m not surprised Shirley MacLaine wasn’t nominated for Postcards From the Edge. She was entertaining, but there was nothing unexpected about that performance coming from her. She was better than Meryl, though, who was simply miscast.

What strikes me is how much stronger this group is than the nominees we tend to get these days. Laura Dern just won the category for a terrible performance in a small part.

I think the shift to awards season becoming a full on industry with more aggressive campaigning (including the ass-kissy Hollywood Reporter roundtables) from increasingly thirsty actors and studios has resulted in more substandard work being recognized and a cheapening of the whole process. We’re lucky if there are one or two genuinely good performances in a category, let alone the four we had in Supporting Actress 1990.

by Anonymousreply 31July 9, 2020 12:44 PM

R31 I agree, comparing the calibre of nominees from back then to nowadays, where anybody who doesn't duck up can be nominated so long as they have a good campaign behind them.

by Anonymousreply 32July 9, 2020 3:16 PM

I think Maclaine's I deserve this comment was actually meant to be inspiring to others to realize their potential. All the stuff she says before it and people just remember the "I deserve this" part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 10, 2020 3:39 AM

Debra Winger threatened to fart on every member of The Academy personally if they ever nominated that old crone again!

by Anonymousreply 34July 10, 2020 8:37 AM

R19 Bening cameo made it obvious she was headed for stardom.

by Anonymousreply 35July 10, 2020 9:44 PM

Of the nominees Annette should have won going away. Whoppi should have been nominated for The Long Walk Home and Winona or Shirley should've had Diane Ladd's begged for nomination

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2020 4:56 AM

It was a great year for BSA. I think it's Benning from those nominated. But there weren't really any weak links. Agreed with the poster who loved Dianne Weist in Edward Scissorhands. She was so damn good.

by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2020 5:05 AM

1)Annette Bening 2)Lorraine Bracco 3)Whoopi Goldberg-TLWH 4)Winona Ryder 5)Mary McDonnell/ Shirley MccLaine

by Anonymousreply 38September 17, 2020 5:05 AM

It was hilarious reading on another thread Jennifer Lopez criticize Winona Ryder who has two Oscar nominations and probably just missed on another. Not to mention numerous big time iconic movies. On what planet are these two even get measured as actresses in the same league. By age 25 Ryder was what anyone would consider an acclaimed actress. With numerous critics awards and major nominations to her name.

by Anonymousreply 39September 17, 2020 5:24 AM

It's extremely bad luck to even SUGGEST that Whoopi didn't deserve her Oscar for "Ghost," R8 and R9.

You in danger, gurrls.

by Anonymousreply 40September 17, 2020 6:13 AM

I love Glenn in "RoF." The scene where she eats the enormous hot fudge sundae in a cashmere twinset and pearls and dark glasses (as her family looks on in horror) is brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 41September 17, 2020 6:16 AM

Postcards from the Edge is on TCM now. HOW was Shirley not nominated? So strange. She is phenomenal.

by Anonymousreply 42September 22, 2020 5:53 AM

Diane Ladd's nomination was the result of her self-described "exhausting" campaign, which included taking out her own ads in the trades, sending out VHS tapes of WaH to everybody, and cooking dinner for two dozen Academy members.

Interesting that nobody has mentioned Mary McDonnell. Was she any good in Dances with Wolves? I never saw it but apparently it was a huge success...

by Anonymousreply 43September 23, 2020 6:56 PM

Yes, McDonnell was very good.

by Anonymousreply 44September 23, 2020 7:03 PM

R41 I voted for Glen, too. She's the first actor that comes to my mind when Reversal of Fortune is mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 45September 23, 2020 7:26 PM

FFS. 30 years ago. Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 46September 23, 2020 7:32 PM

Whoopi deserved it. She's brilliant in Ghost and incredibly funny. It's nice to see a comedic performance win something every now and then. Plus, people still remember her performance and the film 30 years later. That's better than anything or anyone that's won in the past decade. I couldn't even tell you what's been nominated or won recently. It seems like these movies are only made to win awards, not to capture an audience's imagination and heart.

by Anonymousreply 47September 23, 2020 7:36 PM

I always get Sunny Von Bulow confused with Sunny Mann.

Why hasn't anyone made a film about Sunny Mann yet? Helen Mirren would surely get Oscar No 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 23, 2020 7:46 PM

Love love love Mary McDonnell in “Passion Fish” but don’t remember anything special about her performance in DWW. I remember one critic saying her hair in the film looked like she had just been visited by Vidal Sassoon. Or that might have been from Paul Rudnick in his “Libby” column.

by Anonymousreply 49September 23, 2020 7:57 PM

McDonnell is very good in DWW but she was probably riding the wave of the success of the film. As a result three actors in the film were nominated. I think Graham Greene was really the only deserving one in terms of acting in that film but I can't hate McDonnell's nomination.

by Anonymousreply 50September 23, 2020 9:04 PM

Did Mary show her bosoms in DWW? That usually gives them the edge.

by Anonymousreply 51September 24, 2020 4:28 PM

R51 no but she was good and effective, spoke two languages, was not only the love interest but also the "translator" between the lead character and tribal members that brings them together which is the very definition of a supporting character.

by Anonymousreply 52September 24, 2020 4:35 PM

Winona was so wonderful in Mermaids. It's still my favorite performance of hers. Even more than Age of Innocence which she was sneaky excellent. And her marvelous Jo. But this performance was so sweet and innocent and touching. "I can't ever imagine being inside you. I can't ever imagine being anywhere where you'd let me hang out for nine straight months".

by Anonymousreply 53September 26, 2020 5:55 AM

Fourth place? Please don’t show this to poor Glenn. She’ll be crushed.

by Anonymousreply 54September 26, 2020 6:26 AM

Winona Ryder was so winning in Mermaids it was impossible not to love her. That said anyone who doesn't understand her AOI performance didn't get it. She was pretending like Trupmers today not know what was happening around her. There's a wonderful scene in the bedroom with Newland where you have to pay attention to know she's being manipulative and knows what's going on.

by Anonymousreply 55September 27, 2020 1:11 AM

Underrated film too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56September 27, 2020 1:52 AM

Haha Shitley's out again.

by Anonymousreply 57September 27, 2020 10:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!