Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Perry Mason" on HBO

I couldn't find another thread on it yet, but the search function is messed up.

I was really impressed. it's much more like Raymond Chandler than Erle Stanley Gardner, but it was terrific. A first-class recreation of 1931 Los Angeles that looked both believable yet not too ugly and dark colored (the common mistake with contemporary movies and shows set during the Depression). The kidnapped baby's mutilation with the threads in its eyelids was memorably horrifying in an age when it's hard to horrify anymore, and Matthew Rhys might be the best male actor working in television today. So far the only thing I don't like is the obnoxious and unattractive fat aviatrix girlfriend (I like that she's a Latina character, but why can't he fuck someone reasonably attractive?).

by Anonymousreply 104Yesterday at 12:55 AM

I didn't even know it took place in the 30s. Now I'm interested!

by Anonymousreply 106/21/2020

[quote] it's much more like Raymond Chandler than Erle Stanley Gardner,

In that case they should have filmed Raymond Chandler characters. Not an Erle Stanley Gardner show.

by Anonymousreply 206/21/2020

Have you even [italic]read[/italic] the early Erle Stanley Gardner stories from "Black Mask" in the 30s, r2?

by Anonymousreply 306/21/2020

Sorry--the early stories were mostly in the Saturday Evening Post, not Black Mask.

by Anonymousreply 406/21/2020

I found it dull and derivative. Another hard-boiled fella who never has the time or energy to clean up. The music was great if not entirely original in its conception. But, Rhys is watchable so I’ll give It a few more episodes to hook me.

by Anonymousreply 506/21/2020

R5 I agree. However, I think I might just stick with it. There's nothing else to watch this summer (or so it appears), so whatever. It's not awful. I read that Nic Pizzolatto was originally connected to the reboot, thank god he doesn't appear to be involved anymore.

by Anonymousreply 606/22/2020

Any nudity?

by Anonymousreply 706/22/2020

God forbid they make a period piece detective show that isn't "gritty".

by Anonymousreply 806/22/2020

My biopics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 906/22/2020

Wrong thread, oopsie!

by Anonymousreply 1006/22/2020

[quote]Any nudity?

Yes, if you're a chubby chaser.

by Anonymousreply 1106/22/2020

Matthew Rhys is okay, but he's no me!

by Anonymousreply 1206/22/2020

I despise Lithgow, horrible actor in everything. I did the first episode but if they use him a lot I will stop watchin.

by Anonymousreply 1306/23/2020

I enjoyed the first episode, though the ratings were really underwhelming. (On the other Hand, ratings for Yellowstone’s premiere were double that of last year).

Matthew Rhys was great, and so was Lithgow. I don’t know how anyone can watch Lithgow and call him a horrible actor. His Churchill in The Crown was incredible.

by Anonymousreply 1406/24/2020

Is HBO doling this series out one episode at a time? I might watch it (although I'll have to pretend it's not Perry Mason), but I'll wait until they're all available and I can binge.

I think it would have been more interesting and perhaps gotten better ratings if they had set the show in the late '40s and had Mason as a young attorney, first building his reputation - that is, in keeping with the timeline of the familiar and still-popular TV series. And nothing beats late '40s-early '50s LA for noir atmosphere, if that's what they're going for.

by Anonymousreply 1506/24/2020

love it. best new show of season....star is hot, its yes gritty and amazing cinematography......good script.....YEA

by Anonymousreply 1606/24/2020

I gave up after 20 minutes. A whole lot of meh.

by Anonymousreply 1706/24/2020

Dark and rich in story, im digging it....matthew is sexy as fuk, a real man.

by Anonymousreply 1806/24/2020

[quote]I enjoyed the first episode, though the ratings were really underwhelming.

Perry Mason surprises with HBO's biggest ratings debut in years.

The legal-detective drama premiered Sunday night to the cable network's biggest series premiere ratings in two years.

Mason was watched by a total of 1.7 million viewers across all platforms — that's more than the comic drama Watchmen (1.5 million) or the Stephen King adaptation The Outsider (1.2 million). If the show continues close to this level in the ratings, a pickup is all but assured.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1906/24/2020

I tried watching but couldn't get into it. The whole time I was watching, I was thinking, "I bet he smells really bad". Smoking, drinking, never seemed to shower. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 2006/24/2020

Glad to hear it did well, eager for the rest of the season, he is an amazing actor, was terrific on The Americans..

by Anonymousreply 2106/24/2020

There’s the potential for that to happen r15. A second or third season could move Mason into the 1940s. HBO wants to get as much mileage as it can out of the property.

by Anonymousreply 2206/24/2020

Hated it. Didn't get in more than 15 minutes. Boring.

by Anonymousreply 2306/24/2020

It was grotty. I’m sick of directors putting green filters over camera lenses & filming on too-dark sets to make us feel gritty. I don’t want to see dirty looking people fucking. Matthew Rhys’s head seems to have grown too gigantic for his body & he looks like a circus geek. Dirty, dark, foul, smelly looking people doing uninteresting things with violence. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 2406/24/2020

R19, I got the Perry Mason ratings from show buzz daily.com, which say It came in 89th of 150 shows on Sunday Night.

Its 18-49 demo rating was 0.09 at 9 pm and drew 884k viewers. In comparison, at the same hour, Yellowstone had a demo of 0.89 and over 4M viewers, finishing in 1st place for the night. The difference is stark.

The article you cite mentions “across all platforms,” so I’m sure HBO prefers that spin, adding their different time zone airings, repeats , etc. Regardless, in its 9 pm time slot, the show did not get good ratings.

by Anonymousreply 2506/24/2020

[quote]The difference is stark.

As is the difference in standards of ratings success between cable and pay-cable TV. HBO is extremely happy with Perry Mason. That doesn't detract from the performance of Yellowstone, which is a huge hit (though a mediocre show).

by Anonymousreply 2606/25/2020

Very happy, !

by Anonymousreply 2706/25/2020

Need more Matthew Rhys nudity. That man is so beautiful

by Anonymousreply 2806/25/2020

Agreed, juicy as heck...smells like beer and irony...

by Anonymousreply 2906/25/2020

I loved it. It was beautiful to look at, but I love a slow burn story. I loved the way he fucked that chick. It was nasty/hot. Della was a surprise to me, I'm not sure what to make of her yet. They introduce Paul Drake next week. They made the character a black cop, so it will be interesting to see how his story evolves. The fat guy who was fucking the youngest Sheffield daughter had a huge cock.

by Anonymousreply 3006/25/2020

I loved it yet still have to agree with r24’s reservations.

by Anonymousreply 3106/25/2020

hope its ratings are fab, and has long run, best new show of the year....

by Anonymousreply 32Last Saturday at 2:01 AM

My husband is an actor and had a small part in this...gay cocksucking is coming up!

by Anonymousreply 33Last Saturday at 2:25 AM

hope it involves the hot/perry/matthew !!!!

by Anonymousreply 34Last Saturday at 3:40 AM

I’m with R23. It was trying SO HARD with the setting and the “vibe” but it was cliche writing and overdone everything. I I prefer more subtlety from cable shows.

P MASON made me realize how amazing most of THE AMERICANS was. And Rhys was just so excellent in that. This felt like a step down in quality.

by Anonymousreply 35Last Saturday at 5:10 AM

Perry Mason reminds me how boring nd tedious the Americans was, Mason is pure thriller detective fun. I adore matthew in his dirty wife beater and suckin on a Lucky as he downs whiskey.. I remain, his ass eating whore.

by Anonymousreply 36Last Sunday at 3:08 AM

That first episode was mighty slow.

I'm continuing to watch because I like the lead actor and the period genre.

But that first episode was awful slow.

by Anonymousreply 37Last Sunday at 3:12 AM

[quote]My husband is an actor and had a small part in this...gay cocksucking is coming up!

So they're doing an homage to Raymond Burr and William Hopper?

by Anonymousreply 38Last Sunday at 2:05 PM

R38, I think that would require two scenes, because, while Burr definitely enjoyed smoking the occasional pipe and many people say Hopper did (although I have never seen anyone present actual evidence of same), I don't think they enjoyed each's company in a carnal way, shall we say.

Burr seems to have preferred younger, more boyish types, which would rule out robust, manly Bill Hopper. Since no one has ever claimed direct knowledge of Hopper's supposed homo- or bisexuality, I have no idea what his type was.

by Anonymousreply 39Last Sunday at 4:30 PM

It's super-violent. The discovery of the corpse with its head split in two was something else.

It's also super-expensive--they've really spent a fortune on the sets. Last week they had the incredible re-creation of the original Angels Flight raillway at its original location, and this week the huge scene of the Dodson mother being arrested outside the Temple.

Matthew Rhys's face is incredible. It's about the most expressive face in acting. he looks like he's been in incredible torment. it will be interesting to see how Perry Mason once had sex with a man (which he admitted to the DA this episode).

I'm really glad to see Lili Taylor. It's weird to see her playing women in their fifties (I always think of her decades ago in "Dogfight"), but her face is perfect for the Great Depression.

by Anonymousreply 40Last Sunday at 7:20 PM

Trivia: the actress last episode who played the Joan Crawford-like star "Velma Duffy," aka "Red" (the beautiful woman who had sex with the Fatty Arbuckle-like character), is Madeline Zima, who played the youngest daughter on "The Nanny."

by Anonymousreply 41Last Sunday at 9:33 PM

That hussy is NOT based on ME!!!

by Anonymousreply 42Last Sunday at 9:47 PM

You were pretty much a hussy still in 1932, J. The world's most popular hussy, but still a hussy.

by Anonymousreply 43Last Sunday at 9:55 PM

I usually love Matthew.

Not so much in this.

by Anonymousreply 44Last Sunday at 11:58 PM

The quality of this is so beautiful. they know they have a winner as theyr spending so much on it.

Mr Rhys is amazing, and highly respected in the business.

Delighted the ratings are terrific.

by Anonymousreply 45Last Monday at 1:57 AM

r40

I thought he had the homo sex to get out of the army

by Anonymousreply 46Last Monday at 4:47 AM

Rhys is not even ugly hot. The least believable part of the Americans was that no one questioned why Keri fucking Russell was married to that.

by Anonymousreply 47Last Monday at 5:35 AM

The second episode was so much better than the first. This is going to be a good series and Perry Mason was "queer only once".

by Anonymousreply 48Last Monday at 5:35 AM

I'm always delighted when Stephen Root shows up.

by Anonymousreply 49Last Monday at 5:54 AM

R47 You haven't seen a lot of straight couples, have you?

by Anonymousreply 50Last Monday at 5:54 AM

Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell are a real life couple.

by Anonymousreply 51Last Monday at 5:56 AM

[quote] Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell are a real life couple.

Which negates your (ill-conceived) claim, r47.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I find Rhys hot, and so does Keri Russell.

by Anonymousreply 52Last Monday at 8:34 AM

It's almost like different people have different tastes!

by Anonymousreply 53Last Monday at 8:34 AM

It wants to be Rome & Game of Thones in 1930s California. Meh.

by Anonymousreply 54Last Monday at 9:32 AM

That makes no sense, r54. How does it want to be like Rome & Game of Thrones? because it is expensive?

by Anonymousreply 55Last Monday at 10:02 AM

Raymond Burr is Perry Mason. Plus, Burr was a hot hunky bear when he was younger, and a silver fox when he was older.

Ryhs is too thin and too average.

I'll pass.

by Anonymousreply 56Last Monday at 10:12 AM

[quote] How does it want to be like Rome & Game of Thrones? because it is expensive?

Violence, death & explicit sex

It’s HBO. Sunday night, 9pm. It’s required.

by Anonymousreply 57Last Monday at 12:05 PM

We’re we supposed to recognize they guy who killed his co-conspirators in ep. 1?

by Anonymousreply 58Last Monday at 12:13 PM

SPOILER ALERT

So we now know Ennis, a cop, is in on the kidnapping.

What's more to know, why should I keep watching?

by Anonymousreply 59Last Monday at 12:47 PM

So it was the junior cop who (cliche alarm) has some history with the hero PI?

by Anonymousreply 60Last Monday at 1:30 PM

If you are going to post spoilers R60 alert us. I don't plan on watching the show until I have DVR-ed all episodes.

by Anonymousreply 61Last Monday at 1:32 PM

R61

Then maybe you shouldn’t be reading this thread until you have watched it

by Anonymousreply 62Last Monday at 1:34 PM

If you are not going to watch the show for a couple of months, you should stay out of the thread in which people who are watching it now discuss it. Spoilers are inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 63Last Monday at 1:36 PM

I’m not sure anything revealed in episode 1 can truly be called a spoiler.

by Anonymousreply 64Last Monday at 1:36 PM

It wouldn't hurt you to be courteous R62 and R63 and just say "spoiler alert" before you post. Many people read threads about a show or movie before they have watched it and most people have been courteous. It is assholes like you two that make coming here less enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 65Last Monday at 1:38 PM

[quote]Violence, death & explicit sex

It's Boardwalk Empire all over again, especially seeing that BE director/writer/producer Tim Van Patten shot this week's and last week's episode, Stephen Root turned up in this episode and Shea Whigham costars.

by Anonymousreply 66Last Monday at 1:41 PM

The reason HBO still releases series one episode at a time is so that watching the show can be a communal experience. It is not reasonable for someone to expect every plot point mentioned all season to be proceeded by a spoiler alert for the benefit of someone who wishes to participate in a conversation about a show they haven’t watched yet. And I did not find your complaint particularly polite.

by Anonymousreply 67Last Monday at 1:50 PM

R65 Adult yourself.

by Anonymousreply 68Last Monday at 1:59 PM

If you're going to go onto a thread about a TV show on Datalounge, r65, then you can alwaus expect people on the thread to reveal what last happened after the episode of that show airs. That has [bold]always[/bold] been the way with TV show threads on Datalounge: people would talk about what happened during the last aired episode on the last Game of Thrones or Mad Men thread without posting "spoiler alert!"

If you don't like that tradition, then just don't click on DL threads about TV shows you haven't seen. And if you do, expect you'll get things spoiled for you.

And by the way: you might as well can it with the prissy "this is an outrage to my wounded sense of etiquette!" tone when you yourself are calling other people "assholes."

by Anonymousreply 69Last Monday at 2:30 PM

[quote] What's more to know, why should I keep watching?

You do not have to keep watching if you do not want to do so.

by Anonymousreply 70Last Monday at 2:31 PM

So Perry likes cocks?

by Anonymousreply 71Last Monday at 2:35 PM

R69, I agree with your point about spoilers. Back in the day, Television Without Pity used to create non-spoiler threads for popular shows so people who hadn't seen the latest episode could still talk about it. At IMDB, people used to put [SPOILER] in thread titles, but there were always lots of threads that weren't spoilery. Nowadays, with the severely shrunken discussion options online, if you read a thread about movie or TV show, you have to expect spoilers.

As for the communal experience, I do miss it. I recall with nostalgia rushing to TWOP to discuss the latest episode of Mad Men. There would be such a tidal wave of comments, I sometimes took the day after the premiere and final episodes off from work just to keep up with the fun. It was part of the movie experience to come home and see what others had to say on IMDB. But all that's gone now.

Week-by-week watching isn't worth it, especially now that so many people binge watch that there just isn't that much discussion anymore. (Note that there are only 71 replies after two episodes of PM.) I'm just barely enough of a grownup to wait to find out what happens next, but I can't stand having to organize my schedule around watching a TV show; and, if you're going to leave the show in your DVR or on Amazon for several weeks, you might as well binge watch the whole series. This is more than a bit ironic because, as an eldergay, organizing my entertainment time around the TV schedule was essential for most of my life. Now that I've been liberated, though, I'm not going back.

by Anonymousreply 72Last Monday at 3:01 PM

Perry didn't seem very into fucking that fat Latina.

by Anonymousreply 73Last Monday at 3:02 PM

Even the Guardian's threads about TV shows contain spoilers these days, people should learn to live with them.

I will give this HBO series a try since it's HBO.

by Anonymousreply 74Last Monday at 3:30 PM

I'm enjoying the show, so far, but I didn't grow up with the original Perry Mason so I have an admittedly (dumb) question. Maybe it's just that the remake is bland and generic with the characterization, but can someone explain what makes the character of Perry Mason PERRY MASON? Maybe a better way to ask it is, what is/was the character of Perry Mason known for? Right now, the actual character seems pretty typical of other tv detectives. Does he have anything special?

by Anonymousreply 75Last Monday at 4:06 PM

He's the prototype for all detectives.

by Anonymousreply 76Last Monday at 4:12 PM

[quote] He's the prototype for all detectives.

***ahem***

by Anonymousreply 77Last Monday at 4:22 PM

[quote] Maybe it's just that the remake is bland and generic with the characterization, but can someone explain what makes the character of Perry Mason PERRY MASON? Maybe a better way to ask it is, what is/was the character of Perry Mason known for? Right now, the actual character seems pretty typical of other tv detectives. Does he have anything special?

This is from the wikipedia page on the character Perry Mason, and answers you question:

"Julian Symons has noted that Erle Stanley Gardner "had spent more than twenty years practicing law in California, and the knowledge he gained was put to good use in the Perry Mason stories, which hinge on points of law, forensic medicine or science as clever as a watch mechanism … and also the total lack of characterization".

While the Mason novels were largely a form of pulp fiction of the sort that began Gardner's writing career, they are unusual in that the whodunit mysteries usually involved two solutions: one in which the authorities believed (wherein Mason's client was guilty) and an alternative explanation (wherein Mason's client was innocent). Almost always, the second half of each novel is devoted to a courtroom scene, during which Mason arrives at the alternative explanation and proves it to the satisfaction of the court. "It is perfectly true that our author works to formula; in one sense, the plot never varies," wrote Jacques Barzun. "Having said this, one must add that the variety of persons and circumstances and the ingenuity in contriving the details that Gardner dreamed up in his dozens of cases are astonishing and entrancing.""

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78Last Monday at 4:27 PM

R78 Thank you. I had looked on the wikipedia page for the original tv show with Raymond Burr, but NOT the actual character Wikipedia page (obviously). And, well, this explains a lot: "and also the total lack of characterization."

by Anonymousreply 79Last Monday at 4:32 PM

Robert Downey Jr. was originally cast as Mason. His smugness and smirking would have been unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 80Last Monday at 4:37 PM

I turned it off pretty quickly. Not because it was bad; I wanted to enjoy it. But when they showed the baby. . .that just bothered me. What the hell did they do to it? It looked like they tattooed crosses on its eyes. I turned it off right there; it just seemed sick.

by Anonymousreply 81Last Monday at 4:39 PM

They sewed his eyelids open to make the parents think he was alive.

by Anonymousreply 82Last Monday at 4:40 PM

I'm liking it more and more, but as I said above, it repeats and plays to what we all think Los Angeles was in the 1930s. It's not terribly original to show us the seamy underbelly of a town running on glamour and beauty. We get it -- it was all just Day of the Locust, and every cop is crooked, every dame is hard-boiled, every detective holds a secret that makes him a chick magnet, and every lawyer is not to be trusted. I'll stick with it because my husband is hooked.

Hair and makeup are spot on. Sets are great and the war scenes are unexpectedly involving. Rhys is good and looks good in a fedora. Lithgow is wonderful, and so is Rylance in. a great new version of Della Street.

by Anonymousreply 83Last Monday at 4:42 PM

Well, it's a lot better than the new season of Penny Dreadful which is set in the same time and location.

by Anonymousreply 84Last Monday at 4:45 PM

Stephen Root, John Lithgow, and Shea Whigham. It's a trifecta of my favorite character actors.

by Anonymousreply 85Last Monday at 6:36 PM

R81 Sick indeed, but also a reference to this historic LA murder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86Last Monday at 6:51 PM

R83, I think the wigs are terrible. Emily Dodson’s is probably the worst wig I’ve seen in years. Sister Alice’s is the second worst. Della’s is the third.

by Anonymousreply 87Last Monday at 6:51 PM

Anyway, wigs aside, this is very enjoyable. Top-drawer talent.

Matthew Rhys reminds me of Paul Dooley around the eyes. Like a Bassett hound, capable of looking so so sad.

And are we to assume that Perry’s extreme reaction to Emily’s infidelity is some kind of PTSD due to his own wife?

by Anonymousreply 88Last Monday at 6:54 PM

R87 I imagine it was difficult to decide whether to recreate the Angels Flight OR buy good wigs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89Last Monday at 7:03 PM

sposed to have some hot gay moments in the series.....I think its beautiful.....wish we could binge on the whole thing. FUN SHOW

by Anonymousreply 90Last Tuesday at 10:24 AM

no kidding, penny dreadful is shit, cept for the gay stuff......super dum plotlines,,,,,,,,gag

by Anonymousreply 91Last Tuesday at 10:31 AM

Penny Dreadful is supernatural shit.

by Anonymousreply 92Last Tuesday at 1:34 PM

[quote] super dum plotlines,,,,,,,,gag

LOL!

by Anonymousreply 93Last Tuesday at 2:58 PM

I didn't know that there was a real-life original for the dead Dodson baby (even down to the corpse's eyes being forced artificially open to fool the parents paying the ransom). Thanks r86--I'm always surprised when Datalounge brings up another crime that was notorious in its time that I had never heard about before.

I did a little checking on line--here's one of the creepy ransom notes that was sent to Marion Parker's father.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94Last Tuesday at 3:09 PM

I'm loving it so far. I live in DTLA and wish they'd kept the sets up-it's a shithole down here! I enjoyed Penny Dreadful but the writing was bad. Perry Mason has tighter writing and the plot is moving faster. I find it odd that both shows feature an Aimee Semple McPherson plotline. I guess she's 2020's "It Girl".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95Last Tuesday at 3:37 PM

She really is having a moment, R95. They released a movie about her pretty recently, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96Last Tuesday at 3:42 PM

"Aimee Semple McPherson plotline. I guess she's 2020's 'It Girl'."

And I played her in 1976!

by Anonymousreply 97Last Tuesday at 3:43 PM

R97 Yes, bitch, you did.

by Anonymousreply 98Last Tuesday at 3:53 PM

God, it took me forever to place the grieving mom!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99Last Tuesday at 3:57 PM

R99 OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, I was wondering why she looked so familiar, but never cared enough to look it up!!

by Anonymousreply 100Last Tuesday at 4:14 PM

I knew that was Sheila from GLOW from the first moment, but it was Juliet Rylance that as driving me crazy because I couldn't place her. Then I looked up the cast. She looks so different from her role in The Knick with short black hair.

by Anonymousreply 101Last Tuesday at 4:16 PM

I think the look of the show is very impressive, but I thought that Penny Dreadful also pulled that off and it was the highlight of that series. It was a shock that the Perry character isn't an attorney, but I also never read any of the books.

by Anonymousreply 102Last Tuesday at 4:23 PM

The grieving mom also played Queen Victoria in "The Greatest Showman".

by Anonymousreply 103Last Tuesday at 4:31 PM

The grieving mom looks a lot like my mother and her sisters when they were young. (They were blonde and rosy, though). Freaks me out.

by Anonymousreply 104Yesterday at 12:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!