Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New Roy Cohn documentary on HBO

It shows what a prick he was (like representing the Catholic Church to prevent gay rights legislation in New York), but it also showed how he helped Trump and his family.

Trump Tower was made with concrete during a concrete strike because Cohn brought Trump together with the mob boss who controlled concrete.

Trump’s sister became a federal judge because Cohn worked on Reagan’s campaign. He got a new Republican representative who got in on Reagan’s coattails to nominate Trump’s sister.

by Anonymousreply 92August 23, 2020 5:26 PM

Evil Personified.

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2020 7:11 PM

He is the reason they hate us.

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2020 7:30 PM

Link?

by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2020 7:40 PM

Watched it tonight. God what a scumbag he was. It's really amazing how much power he had.

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2020 7:09 AM

R3 HBO

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2020 12:57 PM

I literally put him in my list with Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Papa Doc etc. Such an evil nasty little self hating man.

by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2020 3:18 PM

I just started watching it. Fascinating! Here’s a trailer:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2020 7:57 PM

He sounds like every stereotype of the slimy lawyer.

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2020 2:15 AM

I watched it this morning. He had no redeeming quality at all. Just a complete garbage person.

I found it very interesting about how he never wanted anything in his name (no property, credit cards, etc...) because he never wanted to pay anything to the IRS. He was laundering huge sums of money via his arm candy du jour.

Knowing what a POS he was it surprised me that none of his cast offs ratted him out to the IRS.

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2020 1:53 PM

It’s interesting though that a lot of people in power need a lawyer like this. A lawyer who will do anything to get them out of trouble. He had a lot of powerful friends. Mafia types, clergy, etc...... Why do you think Trump asked where is my Ray Cohn?

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2020 4:38 PM

He taught Trump to blatantly lie, even when it was obvious he's lying. In Cohn's last interview, he looked straight into the camera and said he wasn't gay. That same interview included video footage of him lounging beside a pool with a 20-something young man, both scantily clad. Come ON.

by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2020 4:43 PM

Another aspies sociopath

by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2020 4:50 PM

Do we think he made Trump fuck him?

by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2020 4:54 PM

[bold]Lubrication[/bold]

[italic]Roy Cohn usually traveled light.[/italic]

Jack Martin remembered the time George Barry, the top man at Fabergé, got married and Roy and friends flew to Las Vegas to help the happy couple celebrate. After the nuptials and the merrymaking, the newlyweds and their well-wishing friends spent the night at Caesar's palace, Roy sharing a room with a handsome young fellow. 'They were all to rejoin in the lobby of Caesar's Palace the following morning,' Jack related. 'I was there first. Then Mr. and Mrs. Barry came down, and Roy and the boyfriend on the elevator were the last to arrive. The elevator opened and Roy was carrying a paper shopping bag, which was his luggage, off of which, the minute the elevator door opened and he started to cross the lobby, tumbled what can only be described as an industrial-sized jar of Vaseline. It rolled, took on a life of its own, and made its way to the feet of the bride. Roy did not acknowledge this at all. He looked skyward and wistful or something, and I scooped up the Vaseline and put it in my flight bag. I didn't know such a size existed.

'Subsequently, on the Fabergé jet, I extricated this jar from my luggage. I noticed that it was down to its last drop. I said, "Roy you dropped this," and this man, the enormously generous Roy, said, "Oh you can keep it."'

[italic]from Nicholas von Hoffman, Citizen Cohn (1988)[/italic]

- Excerpt from Patrick Higgins, [bold]A Queer Reader[/bold] (The New Press, NY, 1993), pg. 167.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2020 5:19 PM

Someone explain Julius and Ethel.

by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2020 6:18 PM

I don't understand why we need two Roy Cohn documentaries in the same year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 22, 2020 6:55 PM

This new one is much better than Where...?

by Anonymousreply 17June 22, 2020 7:11 PM

The kween screeching at the protest against "HOMASEKSHULS!! THEY'RE COMMUNISTS!!!" is gayer than Roy Cohn's anal warts.

He's practically Billy Eichner.

by Anonymousreply 18June 22, 2020 7:35 PM

The harassment Cohn was receiving from Richard Dupont was creative and hilarious.

Cohn sitting two chairs away from one of the Rosenberg sons on that talk show was riveting.

Cohn had a definite type . . . young, tall, blond, blue eyed and athletic.

by Anonymousreply 19June 22, 2020 7:58 PM

[quote] Someone explain Julius and Ethel.

It's likely that Julius did give some info to the Russians, but he didn't give them all the info they needed to make the bomb. There's little proof at all that Ethel knew about this at any level.

Roy Cohn and his group made up evidence about the two so they would be found guilty. Because Jews were identified as Communists (many Jews had been arrested as the leads of the US Communist Party), Roy felt he had to go overboard, as a Jew, to show that not all Jews were commies.

by Anonymousreply 20June 22, 2020 8:16 PM

He was despicable. And to think that cunt Barbara Walters dated him.

by Anonymousreply 21June 22, 2020 8:34 PM

Sanpaku eyes

by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2020 8:37 PM

R21, Cohn was instrumental in Walters adopting her daughter. She and her then husband did not have to endure the red tape and waiting that almost all adoptive parents do.

by Anonymousreply 23June 22, 2020 8:40 PM

[quote] Cohn was instrumental in Walters adopting her daughter. She and her then husband did not have to endure the red tape and waiting that almost all adoptive parents do.

and that seems like a crime

by Anonymousreply 24June 22, 2020 8:55 PM

R22 what does that mean?

by Anonymousreply 25June 22, 2020 10:15 PM

R15, They made ugly children.

by Anonymousreply 26June 22, 2020 10:22 PM

Cindy Adams was in the new doc. Everyone knew he was gay & socialized with him & his boy toys. She said Roy called her up & told her to write in her column that he was engaged to Barbara Walters. And she did.

by Anonymousreply 27June 22, 2020 10:27 PM

R25

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2020 11:20 PM

Has anyone watched both docs? I tried to start the non-HBO one last night, as I'm acquaintances with one of the producers and like the other docs he's produced. I couldn't make it thru 10 minutes...there's nothing redeeming or entertaining about profiling such a vile human being. Does the HBO doc humanize him in any way?

by Anonymousreply 29June 22, 2020 11:45 PM

R29 the HBO is more entertaining. The prior doc made me feel slimy too.

by Anonymousreply 30June 22, 2020 11:47 PM

R28 interesting. Do you believe in that? What set of eyes would you say he has? #2 or #3?

by Anonymousreply 31June 22, 2020 11:54 PM

R1 We've had sufficient

by Anonymousreply 32June 22, 2020 11:54 PM

One of the worst Americans in history.

by Anonymousreply 33June 23, 2020 12:00 AM

R28 me checking my eyes 2 secs later to make sure none apply...

by Anonymousreply 34June 23, 2020 12:32 AM

But all lawyers are ultimately vile.

by Anonymousreply 35June 23, 2020 3:23 AM

R30, thank you...I'm watching the HBO now and it's heads and tails more appealing than the other one. I didn't realize the Rosenberg's granddaughter directed it! I don't want to give away the reason behind the title, but they reveal it about 21 minutes in.

by Anonymousreply 36June 23, 2020 4:14 AM

Yeah, Roy was a real SOB, but I adore his daughter Mindy.

by Anonymousreply 37June 23, 2020 4:57 AM

Okay, I just finished the HBO doc and am now compelled try to sit through the other one, just to compare and contrast. The most distracting thing in the HBO one is Nathan Lane playing Cohn in the revival of 'Angels in America'. He's like two Roy Cohns put together! I suppose I shouldn't make fun--as Lane won yet another Tony--but still. Couldn't anyone more slender have been available to play Cohn?

by Anonymousreply 38June 23, 2020 6:29 AM

R38 imagine Jim Parsons chewing scenery through that role....

by Anonymousreply 39June 23, 2020 6:33 AM

R39, good suggestion! This other documentary is using some much of the same footage and commentary from the other one that I may not finish it; it's like watching the other one over again. So curious how both got made so close together.

by Anonymousreply 40June 23, 2020 6:56 AM

R30 here; I finished the other doc and Roger Stone is the Nathan Lane of that one. (Not playing him in the play, but popping up irritatingly.) The only new thing I learned is that Cohn collected trinkets and stuffed animals of frogs and kept them on and around the huge, 70s credenza TV in his bedroom. I'm sure all the tricks just loved seeing those as they fucked Froggy himself.

by Anonymousreply 41June 23, 2020 8:56 AM

There’s no question of Julius Rosenberg’s guilt at this point; historians agree that the 1990s VENONA decrypts are clear on this point. Now, whether the punishment was fair (it wasn’t) is another question...I thought the HBO doc was too sympathetic to Cohn, who must surely be one of the most loathsome people who ever lived. Example: the doc spends time humanizing Cohn by emphasizing how distraught he was about his disbarment shortly before his death, but curiously there’s no mention of why he was disbarred. He was caught forging a rich dying client’s signature on a codicil that’s altered the will to leave his fortune to Cohn; he literally put the pen in the guy’s hand in the hospital room, and guided the hand to forge the signature. Cohn was fucking scum.

by Anonymousreply 42June 23, 2020 10:03 AM

I would like to watch the HBO documentary and I live in Europe. No idea where it can be found. Don't even know if there are HBO subscriptions in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 43June 23, 2020 10:21 AM

R43, it might be on Amazon Prime if you have that.

by Anonymousreply 44June 23, 2020 10:44 AM

R42 the other detail that makes it even more loathesome is that Cohn went full on Charlie’s Angels and dressed up as a nurse so he could slither into the man’s room without being questioned.

Just a sick, evil man.

Below is a pretty compelling interview with the director. She’ is clearly very smart and empathetic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 23, 2020 10:55 AM

The HBO documentary didn't show him as all the evil. While some people interviewed (including his own relatives) called him vile, it didn't show him as al that bad, just a man with a differing opinion.

I hope the other doc really emphasizes how truly awful he was

by Anonymousreply 46June 23, 2020 1:17 PM

R46 Wasn't the HBO doc directed by Rosenberg's granddaughter though??

by Anonymousreply 47June 23, 2020 1:21 PM

R45 That picture with young Orange on the NY Times article... Just his face is despicable.

by Anonymousreply 48June 23, 2020 1:22 PM

Cohen, Trump, Epstein through line.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 23, 2020 1:32 PM

MintPress News isn't necessarily a reliable source for information. Unless you also rely on RT, Sputnik, etc. Not to mention Iran.

by Anonymousreply 50June 23, 2020 1:43 PM

Fair point, but so few people are willing to even touch the subject.

by Anonymousreply 51June 23, 2020 1:50 PM

R47, Yes, and I think that made her extra cautious about the subject

by Anonymousreply 52June 23, 2020 2:26 PM

Yes, R52, she tries to do a "fair and balanced" piece to avoid attacks from the Right, but is much too kind to Cohn. I think it would have been better if she had not made it at all, since her family connection is probably the main reason she got it financed.

The Netflix documentary pulls few, if any, punches and gives you a better sense of how loathsome he was.

by Anonymousreply 53June 23, 2020 3:08 PM

R2 is correct. Roy Cohn went after us publicly and live on television to tell people how homosexuals were evil and trying to tear apart the fabric of America. It was called the Lavender Scare. He was relentless but never discussed his private life. Roy told people to be scared of homosexuals. There was a 1990s tv film starring James Woods as Cohn.

He was the prototype for Larry Craig, Congressman Mark Foley, Congressman Aaron Schock, Dennis Haystert, Ohio Legislator Wes Goodman, Ted Haggard, Marcus Bachman, Tennessee State Assemblyman Bill Sanderson etc., etc. etc. etc. Roy Cohn demonstrated that it's okay to berate, abuse, harass, fire, denounce, and persecute your own kind as a way to publicly demonstrate his dedication to morality and use such reprehensible actions to deflect attention from himself (while at the same time enjoying gay nightlife and anonymous gay sex).

We see the same pattern over and over and over as new congressmen are elected every year, but the pattern was developed by Roy Cohn.

by Anonymousreply 54June 23, 2020 3:09 PM

OP, your first sentence doesn’t need the “but”.

by Anonymousreply 55June 23, 2020 3:12 PM

I’m fascinated by people like this asshole and Roger Stone. Their relentless attacks and evil and they only seem to get caught decades later when their protectors or high up connections die off or lose influence. Newt Fuckface is another one of these. Why is it nobody splashes their flaws all over the papers minute of every day.

by Anonymousreply 56June 23, 2020 3:45 PM

DL is slipping. How big was his cock?

by Anonymousreply 57June 23, 2020 5:12 PM

ANGELS IN AMERICA alleges anal warts being treated by Cohn's doctor, so the little reptile may have been a bottom.

I'd be interested if that's based on medical records or real witnesses.

by Anonymousreply 58June 23, 2020 6:39 PM

Another sociopathic mafiarch.

Of course he worked with the mob and Trump.

by Anonymousreply 59June 23, 2020 6:40 PM

I was amused by the contributions of John Waters, who seems to pop up in every documentary.

by Anonymousreply 60June 23, 2020 6:41 PM

R57, in one or two interviews he claimed it was huge and that lots of men were jealous.

by Anonymousreply 61June 23, 2020 9:11 PM

Bet he loved to show it off at urinals. I know the type.

by Anonymousreply 62June 23, 2020 9:23 PM

R62, sometimes if a guy looked at Roy when he was showing off in the rest room, he'd have them arrested.

by Anonymousreply 63June 23, 2020 9:33 PM

R58 there's a story in the unofficial Cohn bio that R14 referenced about him having a meeting with his clients in his limo. His clients were in the back seat and he was in the front seat facing them with his pants around his ankles and the car AC blasting on his bare ass because the anal wart cream was burning so badly.

by Anonymousreply 64June 23, 2020 10:47 PM

R58, one of his (obviously gay) cousins said in the non-HBO doc that he used to hang out at Cohn's townhouse in NYC and saw the parade of young, tall, blonde men come and go. Lots of drugs, etc. Anyway, he said he'd always go into Cohn's bedroom after the gentlemen callers left and he and Cohn would lay on the bed and talk, while looking up at the mirrored ceiling. He said he finally asked Cohn one time if he was "the boy or the girl," and Cohn said he was the girl.

by Anonymousreply 65June 23, 2020 11:44 PM

Did he infect any of his boy toys?

by Anonymousreply 66June 24, 2020 12:32 AM

R66 no, Silly! R65 just said he was the bottom.

by Anonymousreply 67June 24, 2020 3:22 AM

Yes, he got HIV so likely a bottom

by Anonymousreply 68June 24, 2020 3:26 AM

R66, the lady who rented him a cottage in Provincetown for a couple of years said in one of the docs (the HBO one, I believe) that she felt sorry for the boys who came in and out of the cottage, because surely he had infected them. But I got the impression she didn't hear Roy's moaning, screaming, and begging for more cock (and she lived in the main house, perhaps 10 yards from the cottage). Perhaps he had a gag ball in his mouth? She did say the only time he was alone in Provincetown--and not surrounded by young men--was when he went swimming in the ocean...she said she thought it was sad that he didn't seem to be able to be alone in his thoughts for any more time than that.

by Anonymousreply 69June 24, 2020 3:31 AM

"He was despicable. And to think that cunt Barbara Walters dated him."

So is she. Remember when she muscled her way onto that news show with Harry Reasoner? How she ambushed interviewees and made them cry on camera? All the behind the scenes shit with "The View"?

Two peas in a pod.

by Anonymousreply 70June 24, 2020 4:31 AM

Roy Cohn threatened lawsuits, publicly humiliated and persecuted anyone who suggested that he was homosexual or that he had contracted HIV, anal warts, genital herpes or gonorrhea.

Roy taught his proteges (Roger Stone, David Schine, Senator McCarthy, etc. ) to never apologize, never back down, never admit a mistake, always always attack those who don't have a public platform from which to defend themselves.

He advised that the best political and legal strategies meant one can say whatever is necessary to debase someone and that whenever confronted with one's own hypocrisy / contradictions / lies, one should always always distract and deflect attention onto someone else.

On his softer side, Roy did enjoy Liza Minnelli, Studio 54, Truman Capote, dancing to disco, Broadway showtunes, and young boys dressed like fairies and gladiators.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 24, 2020 2:04 PM

Roy Cohn also lied pathologically, r61. He was just like Trump.

He was a total shyster who never paid his bills.

by Anonymousreply 72June 24, 2020 3:56 PM

What a fucking idiot. Nobody wins in life by being a bully. It's a loser's perspective.

by Anonymousreply 73June 24, 2020 5:42 PM

R71 Is that Donalde J Trump on the right of that picture?

by Anonymousreply 74June 24, 2020 5:44 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if Roy was involved in offing the Kennedy brothers, especially Bobby with his opposition to McCarthy.

by Anonymousreply 75June 25, 2020 3:05 PM

Roy Cohn was really hot!

by Anonymousreply 76June 25, 2020 3:41 PM

He had so many facelifts but was so vain that he never had a nose job because he thought everyone would know he had cosmetic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 77June 27, 2020 10:06 PM

R77 that’s funny. And actually a face lift would make your nose look bigger because everything else is going up and so your nose droops more down in comparison. You need to lift your nose w the rest of it.

by Anonymousreply 78June 27, 2020 10:19 PM

Trump went to Cohn's funeral, but only stood in the back.

by Anonymousreply 79June 28, 2020 2:42 AM

Equal to Hitler!

by Anonymousreply 80June 28, 2020 2:45 AM

Another ROY COHN type was the head of the FBI-J Edgar Hoover. Hated faggots, Anti Communist, was ruthless and GAY.

by Anonymousreply 81June 28, 2020 4:05 AM

Trump let him stay in one of his hotels when he was dying, then when he heard it was AIDS tried to evict him. Then he let Cohn stay but billed his estate after he died.

by Anonymousreply 82June 28, 2020 1:07 PM

Too bad he didn't live long enough to be Trump's attorney general

by Anonymousreply 83June 28, 2020 5:11 PM

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Joke. Trump says 'My greatest accomplishment? Not getting AIDs from Roy Cohn.

by Anonymousreply 84June 30, 2020 12:45 PM

White gays, when you say you don't recognize your privilege.... Watch this documentary....

by Anonymousreply 85July 1, 2020 3:06 AM

Anyone know whatever happened to the then-hunky Peter Fraser?

by Anonymousreply 86July 1, 2020 3:25 AM

R77, he did have a nose job. It was so botched, though, it left him with a lifelong scar.

by Anonymousreply 87July 1, 2020 3:29 AM

How did a young, good-looking guy like Peter Fraser let that gross pig touch him?

by Anonymousreply 88July 1, 2020 3:30 AM

Cohn's plastic surgery looked like it was done in a garage. You could see the scars.

Roy told his nephew that during the sex act, he played the female role.

by Anonymousreply 89July 1, 2020 4:06 AM

tttttttttt

by Anonymousreply 90July 1, 2020 2:56 PM

Here's Roy at Studio 54 with someone who learned political strategy from him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91July 1, 2020 8:25 PM

[quote]I would like to watch the HBO documentary and I live in Europe. No idea where it can be found. Don't even know if there are HBO subscriptions in Europe.

This was shown on Sky Atlantic in the UK last night. I only know Cohn through Angels In America and his mention in We Didn't Start The Fire reference. A great 2 hours of tv, it humanised Cohn as a sad pathetic lonely little hollow man, but I was left in no doubt he was one of the nastiest people to have ever wielded power, and just how people maintain power. The enablers were just as sickening.

[quote]How did a young, good-looking guy like Peter Fraser let that gross pig touch him?

$$$$$.

[quote]On his softer side, Roy did enjoy Liza Minnelli, Studio 54, Truman Capote, dancing to disco, Broadway showtunes, and young boys dressed like fairies and gladiators.

I feel comforted that he never lived to see Liza's video for Losing My Mind. He didn't deserve that joy.

by Anonymousreply 92August 23, 2020 5:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!