Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lawn Mowers

Seems like a strange place to ask this question, but might as well.

Since moving to Ohio, my husband and I have been using my in-law’s riding lawn mower. Our yard alone probably just on the line of what I would be willing to push mow, but this year I’ve been mowing our yard, my in-law’s yard, and an 85 year old neighbor’s lawn, so there is definitely too much to push mow now.

Their mower seems to have taken a turn for the worst and I’m thinking we should get a new one. I’ve always used tractor style lawn mowers and I don’t think there is enough to justify a zero turn. We have a Cub Cadet dealer in town, so I will probably start there, but I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions!

Have a great evening everyone!

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2020 3:13 AM

I also live in Ohio on a suburban cul de sac. We took out the green concrete and with the help of a landscaper, planted a meadow. It’s attracted so much wildlife I’m considering a small pond. The neighbors either really love it or really hate it. Our house, while a cookie cutter 2 story traditional house, doesn’t look like the rest of the houses on the street. Conversely, the weekends are free of yard work and a saw a box turtle just this week.

by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2020 3:31 AM

That’s awesome, R1! We live near a major-ish creek and there are some good parks nearby that I enjoy.

Thanks for sharing! I am enjoying central Ohio quite a bit!

by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2020 4:14 AM

I bought a Toro Zero Turn riding mower about seven years ago. I was afraid of not being able to maneuver it as I was always accustomed to the tractor style (John Deere and Jacobson), but after a 20 minute spin (no pun), I got the hang of it and I love it. I can very quickly cut the yard. Dual blade mower. I bag and compost my grass but I’ve cut without the bagger when the grass was too tall and it didn’t discharge a ton all over. Mulched it down very fine.

Very easy to change the oil and wash the deck out (cane with a hose attachment that you screw to the hose nozzle and it clips onto a port on the deck. Run the water while stationary and the blades are engaged for a few minutes, and the underneath gets cleaned very well.

I also have a Toro self propelled mower. I honestly am not a fan of self propelled as they don’t roll very easily if you’re pulling the mower (when off) behind you, say dragging it to the next yard.

But I’m impressed with Toro’s mowers. The riding mower cost me about 5,600$ seven years ago. But a good investment.

by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2020 4:25 AM

I'm friends with a bear couple. One always wanted a John Deere riding lawn mower. His partner surprised him with one, and a pink John Deere hat that he had to wear while using it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2020 4:25 AM

Our family operated a large independent lawn equipment company. During that time, garden tractors were the choice of consumers. Zero turn mowers were few and very expensive. Today, the market has shifted such that the consumers are choosing zero turn mowers. If you wish a garden tractor, the major brands are Husqvarna, Troy Built (made by MTD), Cub Cadet, JD and Snapper. Toro no longer makes a garden tractor.

Of those, the top three are Husqvarna, Troy Built, Cub Cadet. JD is over priced and Snapper is an old design. I would look for a local lawn equipment dealer that provides good follow-up service and would avoid box stores like Home Depot or Lowes.

If you are interested in Zero Turn, then the best are Husqvarna, Toro, Ariens and Cub Cadet.

by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2020 6:57 AM

Thanks, R3! I appreciate your insight.

We have a local dealer that has all of the Cub Cadet options. I was planning to stop in there and ask some questions. I know some places allow for a test drive, I might try a zero turn out.

Our house runs up against an open field, I am using the edge of our property to pile up grass clippings. The University of Minnesota Extension Service recommends keeping grass clippings on the lawn as long as they aren’t too thick to act as a natural fertilizer, so I try to keep them in place as much as possible, but sometimes it is too thick.

I hadn’t thought to ask about easier clean out options. My in-laws have a John Deere that I just spray off with a hose. I’ve heard of/seen machines with the hose attachment, I’ll have to ask questions.

Thank you for the info, R5! I’m glad Cub Cadet ranks high on your list. One of my husband’s high school friends is the service manager at the dealer in town, so I know they provide those services.

I’ve spent part of the day researching and I think Cub Cadet is the best option. We will probably head over tonight when my husband gets home from work and look around.

It is a little weird for me, he’s much more into cars and mechanicy things than I am, but he’s really let me take the lead on this one. I hope I make a good choice!

by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2020 4:50 PM

You are getting to take the lead, r6. You are preemptively getting the blame. When the mice build nests in your engine this winter and you require a $200 repair visit from the local Cub Cadet dealer, you will be looked at with scorn by your husband for "picking the wrong one", even if the mice would have nested in any engine.

by Anonymousreply 7June 19, 2020 4:59 PM

r1, that sounds perfect.

by Anonymousreply 8June 19, 2020 5:00 PM

R7, Have you always had unhealthy relationships? Or is this a new thing?

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2020 2:13 AM

I have had a Troy-Bilt for 12 years. I take good care of it, and it has never failed me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2020 3:00 AM

FYI Zero turns are great as long as you don't have very steep slopes. I want one but they did not recommend one.

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2020 3:19 AM

Thank your in-laws then hire someone to mow your lawn. Let them deal with the lawn mower purchase.

by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2020 3:30 AM

So did you get a Cub Cadet?

by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2020 11:22 PM

R11, thank you! Central Ohio is rather flat. There is nothing I would even consider to be a hill in the area.

We went in last night and they actually brought out a test drive this morning (I think it was a side effect of knowing someone who worked there). I tried to get the hang of the zero turn and I failed. Miserably.

Husband jumped on and was able to do it easily. He said he would be willing to do all three yards with that machine, but I reminded him (as you petty bitches do so often) that I have nothing else going on, so I kind of like the task as it gives me something to do.

It looks like it’ll be a Cub Cadet, but I am not sure about the specifics. I didn’t think I needed the full test drive for a garden tractor (they drop off the zero turn and give up to five hours of use). They have a lot I can drive around at the store, we will probably do that next week.

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2020 11:25 PM

Congrats Ernst. It's such a huge step for your 6'6" husband to let you pick a lawn mower. Hopefully he will let you choose the color of your thongs next.

by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2020 1:48 PM

wore out their lawnmower and buying yourself a new one...

ok...

by Anonymousreply 16June 22, 2020 1:51 PM

The meadow thing at R1 sounds great!

Can I ask what you planted there R1?

by Anonymousreply 17June 22, 2020 1:55 PM

Yup....I had a Toro for many years - but it bit the dust at the end of last season.

I looked at some options - but then I also went with the Cub Cadet. It looks great, runs great, and is very easy to handle.

My nephew was using it - not my idea - and hit a rock and bent the blade. It was a quick fix at the dealer and you know who won't be using it again.

by Anonymousreply 18June 22, 2020 2:00 PM

I want a Gravely stand tractor. Way cool.

The Porsche of lawncare.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 22, 2020 2:01 PM

OP, it doesn't matter which one you get. They just mow the lawn.

I recommend test driving them and then buy the one whose seat vibrates the best.

by Anonymousreply 20June 22, 2020 2:14 PM

Well, R16, theirs is 20 years old, so I think it was doomed whether or not I was the one operating it for the past two months.

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2020 3:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!