Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gyms Going Bankrupt!

The NY Times reports the company Town Sports International may have to declare bankruptcy. The company owns 200 gyms, including New York Sports Club and ones in Boston, Philadelphia and DC. The ones in NYC are pretty crappy but cheap. They are at least marginally nicer than Crunch. If gyms disappear, what are the gays going to do?

by Anonymousreply 206September 19, 2020 10:47 PM

A gym where you have to make an appointment and wear a mask?

And NO showers for me to Showcase in??

by Anonymousreply 1June 17, 2020 8:52 AM

Link might be nice....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 17, 2020 8:56 AM

This is what established gyms are up against.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 17, 2020 8:58 AM

Don' t know where you girls live, but here in NYC any decent mid-tier to above apartment building has a gym or fitness center, especially new construction. Then you have all the latest at home fitness equipment like Peloton that have streamed live on-demand features.

Question then becomes how to lure people out of their homes to walk several blocks to a gym. This and of course membership dues and other issues.

by Anonymousreply 4June 17, 2020 9:08 AM

Back to cruising parks!

by Anonymousreply 5June 17, 2020 9:22 AM

Gyms without dark areas, gloryholes and private rooms have turned away from most of their potential business.

by Anonymousreply 6June 17, 2020 9:24 AM

Gyms have become glorified bathhouses

by Anonymousreply 7June 17, 2020 9:26 AM

How Equinox in NYC handling reopening post covid-19

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 17, 2020 9:29 AM

Everyone is going under. Didn't they have any money in savings in case of catastrophes?

by Anonymousreply 9June 17, 2020 9:34 AM

Years ago, if you went too early the 24 hour gym on 14th St. it still had used condoms all over the floors, and the guys would use the HVAC closet to avoid cameras.

by Anonymousreply 10June 17, 2020 9:38 AM

R9

What likely hurt many gyms is that local or state attorney generals (if not governors) stepped in and demanded they stop billing people for dues during months where places were shut down by PAUSE orders.

Here in NYC people were livid their credit cards were being charged for monthly gym dues they couldn't get to because everything deemed not essential was shut.

That put gyms in same situation as many other retail or commercial tenants. They were paying rent but weren't generating income due to lack of customers, and or being forbidden to bill during shut down periods.

by Anonymousreply 11June 17, 2020 9:47 AM

24 Hour Fitness also filed Chapter 11 today.

by Anonymousreply 12June 17, 2020 9:50 AM

OP

Those gyms were expensive, not cheap. Outside of NY gyms can charge 20 a month, offer more and make money.

by Anonymousreply 13June 17, 2020 10:20 AM

oh the hell with it, let em droop

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 17, 2020 10:52 AM

R13, everything in NYC is more expensive, but I was paying about $50 a month for New York Sports Club, which didn’t seem too bad.

by Anonymousreply 15June 17, 2020 11:22 AM

R15

Don't know when you joined NYSC, but things are a bit different now.

They hit you up for an annual membership, then you also pay a monthly fee. Some plans charge a joining or other fees as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 17, 2020 12:01 PM

Isn’t Equinox owned by the big Trump bundler? They say the public gyms are dirtier than a public toilet seat. FITTING!

by Anonymousreply 17June 17, 2020 12:14 PM

We bought a Nordic Track bike. - cheaper than Peloton...I love it and it is a tough workout. I do push up, pull up and have 20 lb barbells. I'm good.

by Anonymousreply 18June 17, 2020 12:16 PM

My LA Fitness has been closed for months and surprisingly they haven't been charging. I know that might odd, but they're known for all sorts of financial shenanigans - at least my location - so I'm surprised they didn't leave it up to us to call and put our memberships on hold and make it difficult to do so.

I just recently got free weights, a bench, and a standing rack I can use for bench or squats or other things. There was a run on free weights and other equipment at the beginning of quarantine and it took me a while to put my home gym together. I'm not sure I want to go back right when they open again.

by Anonymousreply 19June 17, 2020 12:20 PM

NYSC is basically across the street from me. I have no idea what I’m going to do when they go under.

by Anonymousreply 20June 17, 2020 12:30 PM

NYSC is not better than Crunch, OP. They are complete dumps.

by Anonymousreply 21June 17, 2020 12:39 PM

What are the real swank gyms in NYC? I'm not talking about athletic clubs where you have to be sponsored or be approved for membership or anything like that - just the gyms that have the nicest set up, cleanest, nicest equipment, and are probably more expensive.

by Anonymousreply 22June 17, 2020 12:43 PM

NYSC used to be terrible when it came to canceling gym memberships and such. Many people will be thrilled to see it go under

by Anonymousreply 23June 17, 2020 4:58 PM

I'm not, because it's the only thing that's convenient to me. Except for Blink, and that's a hard no.

by Anonymousreply 24June 17, 2020 5:01 PM

Bankruptcy does not mean the gyms will go under it just means they will run for president.

by Anonymousreply 25June 17, 2020 5:13 PM

But where can we proudly parade our crepe-like liver-spotted skin in front of all the hawt boys doing the Towel Dance?

by Anonymousreply 26June 17, 2020 5:37 PM

"Don' t know where you girls live, but here in NYC any decent mid-tier to above apartment building has a gym or fitness center, especially new construction."

I live in a high rise in suburban Philly and the gym in my building has been closed since mid-March by order of the state. A neighbor told me just the other day it may not open until fall.

by Anonymousreply 27June 17, 2020 5:51 PM

Traditional globo gyms are pretty much fucked during the pandemic.

People packed too closely together, too much equipment, no open windows or doors, people in close proximity for long periods of time.

Gyms in cities are even more fucked because they have no outdoor space-- outside of cities gyms are holding classes in parking lots and similar spaces and could conceivably continue with space heaters come winter.

But there's a big difference between working out outside on a 30 degree day and jumping into your warm car afterwards and having to trek home on the subway or a bus.

by Anonymousreply 28June 17, 2020 5:59 PM

LA Fitness is open again where I live, but with limited access and limited amenities. The pools, sauna and steam rooms and showers are closed. Only workout areas and changing areas are available. As the economy is officially reopened here, some of these feature closures and restrictions seem to be done not for anybody's safety, but for the gym to save money on utilities and staff. There is no risk from going swimming, for instance. I don't go to LAF, but a friend worked for them until they closed. He said they are operating with only one or 2 people per facility on duty per shift.

My HOA has a gym and it's still closed, along with most of the other amenities. There has been a lot of complaining about that lately, and people are starting to talk about suing the HOA and management company to force things to re-open. The management company let the maintenance people go, but it is still collecting the same fees as before.

by Anonymousreply 29June 17, 2020 6:25 PM

my gym was charging thru the months of being closed until May 1. They are repopened now and they charged me June fee. I contested the April charge with my cc company and got aprils charges credited back. I havent been to the gym since they reopened. I have driven by the parking lot at various times and it looks like its getting about a third of the crowd. We arent in a high covid area but it isnt low either really...............

I read an article the other day that ranked variuos activities on a risk scale with 9 being the highest and gyms were an 8. The event like Trump is having in Tulsa was ranked a 9. I dont see gyms recovering really. Its going to be hard for me to eventually go back even if covid goes away. Im saving my my money for a treadmill and weights for home. In the meantime I walk and do sit ups and push ups at home but the gym situation is one of the hardest things for me to deal with with covid, as weird as that may seem.

by Anonymousreply 30June 17, 2020 6:35 PM

"here in NYC any decent mid-tier to above apartment building has a gym or fitness center"

That reeks of a cheap high rise. We who live in downtown pre-war don't know of that.

by Anonymousreply 31June 17, 2020 6:42 PM

[quote]. Im saving my my money for a treadmill and weights for home

Try that with an NYC apartment.

by Anonymousreply 32June 17, 2020 6:46 PM

All the more reason to flee NYC and its ridiculously high rents, R32, and get a place that one can actually live in, and not just exist.

by Anonymousreply 33June 17, 2020 6:49 PM

[quote]All the more reason to flee NYC and its ridiculously high rents, [R32], and get a place that one can actually live in, and not just exist.

And jobs are so easy to find.

by Anonymousreply 34June 17, 2020 7:07 PM

Well... a lot of people were without money or jobs with COVID. No one wants to be working out and having someone else breathing and perspiring near them or leaving sweat marks on shared equipment. It's a droplet nightmare. And the bathrooms and changing rooms aren't much better.

I think people "took back the outside" during COVID and still are. Guess what, you don't need a gym membership or expensive equipment to work out.

by Anonymousreply 35June 17, 2020 7:12 PM

R22 I don't know how it relates to 'swanky' but I always liked NYHRC, the one on east 13th st. Was nice as the pool was two levels below, steam rooms and showers a floor above, changing rooms on the ground floor, next was the cardio level, and a great selection of machines and some manufacturer variants (I prefer Precor) but above that was a floor for stretching, pilates machines that required a trainer, and the 'class rooms' although I never saw any classes happening, and strength training on the top floor, so six floors of gym. That was another area they excelled in because they had a huge variety in machines. Never had to wait to use anything. Other facilities of theirs had other things, and you could go to whichever you preferred, but I liked this one.

Far cry from the most expensive places in Philly, even farther in CT.

by Anonymousreply 36June 17, 2020 7:26 PM

R31

Well then your building needs to up their game. Plenty of pre-war rentals and co-ops added gyms/fitness areas in addition to redoing lobbies, adding children's playrooms, and other things . Many have had no choice but to add amenities or whatever to attract sales or tenants against so much new construction.

by Anonymousreply 37June 17, 2020 8:31 PM

R22

Maybe not a full gym but you have Racquet and Tennis Club on Park Avenue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 17, 2020 8:37 PM

I don’t feel bad for corporations

by Anonymousreply 39June 17, 2020 8:53 PM

NY Sports Clubs squeezes you for every penny. Their reps lie to you about contracts. It's nearly impossible to quit the gym--it will just keep charging you every month.

It can go to hell

by Anonymousreply 40June 17, 2020 9:27 PM

"Many have had no choice but to add amenities or whatever to attract sales or tenants against so much new construction."

Not if you live in a nice building. You don't seem that familiar with pre-war buldings in downtown Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 41June 17, 2020 9:56 PM

R32 / r33, ty doing that in any apartment -- not just NYC.

by Anonymousreply 42June 17, 2020 10:03 PM

Notoriously awful company----only the most persistent could ever get their membership to actually end and the gyms already were in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 43June 17, 2020 10:05 PM

r5 = Richard Quest

by Anonymousreply 44June 17, 2020 10:07 PM

The two old-school 24 hours fitness gyms I liked in Glendale and Pasadena are closing, so I'm out.

by Anonymousreply 45June 17, 2020 10:26 PM

There are cheap high-rise apartments in NYC?

by Anonymousreply 46June 17, 2020 10:30 PM

[quote]If gyms disappear, what are the gays going to do?

Burpees.

by Anonymousreply 47June 17, 2020 10:37 PM

Some of us don't have the joints for HIIT stuff.

by Anonymousreply 48June 17, 2020 10:38 PM

Bally's has a bankruptcy every few months, yet they still exist in some form.

Gyms are going nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 49June 18, 2020 11:43 AM

JEALOUS BITCHES- Since the 1990's I've my own weight set that I bought at Service Merchandise(anyone remember that catalog store?) years ago. It was a basic set of weights- plastic filled with sand- but it does the job. I only paid $19.99 for the weights and maybe $70 for the bench.

by Anonymousreply 50June 18, 2020 12:01 PM

There's always the YMCA!

by Anonymousreply 51June 18, 2020 1:28 PM

[R12] if you or others want to be added as claimants for refunds from 24HR Fitness, then here's where to go:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 19, 2020 3:40 AM

24 hour fitness announced they were closing several locations here in Jersey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 19, 2020 3:47 AM

Watched film "The Lineup - 1958) other night was was thinking who wholesome YMCA, The Embarcadero, San Francisco (formerly Seaman's Club) seemed.

Never understood when or how YMCA locations got the reputation as dens of homosexual activity..... Hahahaha

by Anonymousreply 54June 19, 2020 4:02 AM

Gyms like Equinox, NYSC, etc., have reserve funds on hand at the corporate level and can easily get carry-over funding. They don't operate month-to-month like a family-owned restaurant or a mom-and-pop bakery barely making ends meet to pay their rent. Plus, business with expert legal and tax personnel are expert at writing off losses. Some may close locations but only because their forecasted revenue won't be high enough to keep investors happy.

by Anonymousreply 55June 19, 2020 5:24 AM

R55

Says you....

Town Sports parent of NYSC has spoke of filing bankruptcy in recent media releases. They lost $18 million on revenues of $427 million last year, and only have $12 million in reserves.

Will NYSC survive? Who knows, but much is going to depend same as for other gyms going forward in a world post covid-19.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 19, 2020 9:25 AM

Revenues of $427 million last year, and it has only $12 million in reserves? Maybe it should close down due to poor fiscal management.

by Anonymousreply 57June 19, 2020 2:24 PM

They will go on and to attract members they will once again allow cocksucking in the steam room.

by Anonymousreply 58June 19, 2020 3:42 PM

Gyms in NYC won't be opening anytime soon....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 24, 2020 5:54 AM

My gym in LA probably won't make it.

I had some good times there, but eventually it started to remind me too much of high school gym class.

Nuff said.

by Anonymousreply 60June 24, 2020 5:57 AM

Equinox is now open in LA. I'm so on the fence. You walk in, they hand you towels wrapped in plastic, you book your 90 min session, and a mask must be worn except during exertion which is when you need the mask most. The pool and showers are open, but none of the amenities other than the bare bones. For $300/month, I want the full amenities and can work out at home, but actually miss going to the gym. I'm going to hold out for a bit.

by Anonymousreply 61June 24, 2020 6:27 AM

R61, Interesting, my location handed out towels (small and large) from behind the front desk as you checked in, no plastic wrap, just stacks like what you would have normally seen on the floor.

Wipes weren't so easily accessible so a lot of people weren't wiping down their equipment after (unless they were being assholes, which is definitely possible). Masks were 50/50; some wore them, some didn't. I did wear mine when I was lifting weights but ended up taking it off on the treadmill as I slowly increased my speed.

Every other shower was open, the Kiehl's pumps were still in there. I brought my own stuff but I guess they figure you're getting clean in the shower, it's okay to keep the pumps touched by however how many people are in there...?

Similar to your experience, I'm glad I visited once, but I haven't returned and don't plan on anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 62June 24, 2020 7:15 AM

Anyone who goes to a fucking fun during this time is a MORON.

by Anonymousreply 63June 24, 2020 1:22 PM

[quote]Gyms in NYC won't be opening anytime soon....

I am going to be so weak when all this is over.

by Anonymousreply 64June 24, 2020 1:58 PM

This coronavirus is highly airborne, so people breathing and coughing near you could be quite dangerous. It's already obvious that many people don't want to wear masks and/or don't believe that this virus is as serious as it is.

People with strong immune systems may not get sick or may get mildly sick, but become carriers to others. I don't plan on going back to a gym for a while. We're not even finished with our first wave (in the U.S.) yet.

by Anonymousreply 65June 24, 2020 3:33 PM

So the people who survive this are going to be fat, out of shape, gays who never got dates anyway?

by Anonymousreply 66June 24, 2020 5:16 PM

$300 a month for Equinox? Chelsea Piers isn't nearly that.

by Anonymousreply 67June 24, 2020 5:34 PM

Going bankrupt doesn't mean it will disappear. It allows them to not pay some bills. Many retail businesses should be playing hardball w their rent: the landlords can evict the tenant, but then the landlord will have an empty space. Retail tenants should be negotiating w the landlords to share the pain.

However, another matter is how little reserves these businesses have. It seems every time there is a recession, the gov't steps in w myriad complicated programs. So we get too many restaurants, bars, gyms, etc. that we have to support w gov't handouts. People shouldn't be starting businesses w no reserves.

Individuals and businesses should all have 6 months of reserves. Ultimately, we are all paying for these handouts!

by Anonymousreply 68June 24, 2020 6:18 PM

Landlords in NYC love empty spaces, thank you asshole Bloomberg.

by Anonymousreply 69June 24, 2020 6:52 PM

I've gone twice to my LA Fitness since it just opened up again last week. It was empty enough both times that it was easy to stay well more than six feet away from everyone else, plus I wore a mask. I'm not concerned. The only thing I was leery about was the weights, because obviously no one's wiping those down after they use them.

by Anonymousreply 70June 24, 2020 7:31 PM

I am making it work from home and can’t see why I would go back to spending $250 a month for Equinox in NYC.

I’m sure I’m not the only one.

I feel like this is going to severely damage their business model permanently. I certainly hope so. I hate that company.

by Anonymousreply 71June 24, 2020 8:24 PM

Don't understand why some of you joined these gyms that you "hate", and more so forked over a few hundred per month to remain members.

People have been complaining about Equinox, NYSC, Crunch and rest in NYC for years; which is was one reason never joined. Too much drama.....

by Anonymousreply 72June 24, 2020 8:43 PM

Out of shape resentful fattie alert at r72

by Anonymousreply 73June 24, 2020 9:19 PM

Far from it; speak for yourself.

There are more ways to keep in shape than paying huge sums to some bougie gym.

At least when I do to a gym it is with purpose of using the place as intended. Most of you old to ancient out of shape gays only go to lurk about in steam rooms, saunas or other areas for sex.

by Anonymousreply 74June 24, 2020 9:23 PM

I've been going @ 5a since last wknd and only about 1/3rd of regulars have returned (& everyone's masked), so have been able to socially distanced most times. Plus gym has provided individual sprayers to disinfect pre and post. So far so good. However I won't be returning to classes anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 75June 24, 2020 9:29 PM

I had a trainer at my gym and he was really getting me in shape. and he charged me maybe 1/3 of the going rate. He made working out fun and it was nice having a buffer between me and the steroid freaks on the gym floor. Memories of high school bullies can stick with you.

we bantered a lot and I worked hard. He was always making gay jokes. Like left and right. Constantly. The remarks stood out.

He wasn't gay though. He was married.

And divorced.

Twice.

But he wasn't gay because he said he wasn't and then he confided in me he tried gay sex and 'didn't like it.' He was a little old to be experimenting, I thought. But that's just me.

He got weird. We stopped training. His call. It was hard to keep up. But seeing him at the gym has been awkward. I need to not go back when things open up and, hopefully, get better. I wish I could really learn to get in shape by myself.

by Anonymousreply 76June 24, 2020 10:07 PM

All of these chemical disinfectants can't be good.

by Anonymousreply 77June 24, 2020 11:06 PM

mine just announced reopening in a week, after more than four months closed

by Anonymousreply 78June 24, 2020 11:08 PM

[quote]Gyms Going Bankrupt!

What the fuck? I am?

by Anonymousreply 79June 24, 2020 11:10 PM

Pre-Covid, I used to go to Equinox 5 or 6 times a week. You couldn’t pay me to go back right now.

by Anonymousreply 80June 25, 2020 1:12 AM

NYSC deserves to go out of business. What a dump!

by Anonymousreply 81June 25, 2020 1:52 AM

My condo complex does have its own little excuse for a small gym area--but, alas, it's also been closed still due to the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 82June 25, 2020 3:49 AM

Same as R80 here. In fact, I canceled my membership 2 months ago, I figured it would reopen - and restart the monthly membership charges - before I am ready to return. I definitely don't trust the hordes of soccer moms and YouTube "influencers" to wear masks, clean, etc.

by Anonymousreply 83June 25, 2020 4:12 AM

Lean, ‘70s style bodies will be all the rage again. Not of this gross steroid body shit.

by Anonymousreply 84June 25, 2020 4:53 AM

R84 has never set foot in a gym, ever.

And he’s at least 70 years old.

And pear shaped and judgemental.

by Anonymousreply 85June 25, 2020 5:00 AM

Can Gym Jordan go bankrupt, too? Please?

by Anonymousreply 86June 25, 2020 5:03 AM

Equinox is a lifestyle and you pay for the entire luxury gym experience. I can grab a bite, work out, take a long steam/sauna/possible hookup, have as many towels as I like, and use all the nice products. You can spend a whole afternoon there and feel amazing afterwards. Right now with all the restrictions it is not worth the money and it does feel risky. Numbers are spiking where i am. Ultimately, Equinox is a terrible, soulless company that produces a product that is hard to surpass for now (assuming things open up eventually). Next level up would be clubs the require nominations or proposers.

by Anonymousreply 87June 25, 2020 5:15 AM

[quote] and it does feel risky

It *IS* risky.

by Anonymousreply 88June 25, 2020 7:13 PM

Will this be the end of the pumped up bod aesthetic?

by Anonymousreply 89June 26, 2020 3:14 AM

Fat out of shape nerds will survive this.

by Anonymousreply 90June 26, 2020 5:09 AM

You can change your body but you can’t change your penis, that’s what I say.

by Anonymousreply 91June 26, 2020 5:26 AM

Silly R68. No sole proprietorship opens with 6 months of operating capital. No mom and pop restaurant opens with six months of operating capital. What a tool.

Malls are already on the brink. One announced its total closure in my city this week. There aren't that many left open. Some shops are playing hardball with the rent, and the landlords are playing hardball back, locking up stores and restaurants that were still open. It's going to be a mess for years.

by Anonymousreply 92June 26, 2020 3:38 PM

I probably won't return to my gym and HIIT boutique until 2021.

They are still closed here in SF, but I will freeze until they let me, and then resume my monthly memberships (I've been a member for 10+ years at the gym and a founding member for studio so I pay lower monthly dues for both and don't want to lose that). Still I won't go until we've seen what reopening really looks like down the road.

Those things were petri dishes before filled with nothing but the grossest displays of human filth and selfishness. Ain't got 2 weeks or more to get the 'rona from there.

by Anonymousreply 93June 26, 2020 4:16 PM

[quote]Revenues of $427 million last year, and it has only $12 million in reserves? Maybe it should close down due to poor fiscal management.

Wrong. Revenues, profits and reserves are three completely different things. Revenues don't include any expenses. And many companies who aren't generating any revenue because of the virus will have dwindling cash reserves. That's exactly what's happening at my company. I work on Broadway and we've been paying bills with NO revenues via cash reserves.

R82 - Same with me. Building gym is closed & they put paper around the windows.

by Anonymousreply 94June 26, 2020 7:53 PM

Gyms along with malls in NYS are now toast. Per announcement yesterday by governor they will not be allowed to reopen as part of phase IV due to worries about spikes in covid-19 cases elsewhere.

Cuomo is going to drag this thing out until 2021 or beyond at this rate.

Unless or until some firm guidance about reopening comes soon, expect to see scores of small or even chain gyms/fitness places wind up. People can't continue paying rent on spaces without income, and not knowing when they will be allowed to restart.

This comes after many gyms, fitness and other such places already spent money on redesigning their spaces to suit post covid-19 world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95June 26, 2020 8:13 PM

No large or publicly traded company has large reserves of cash sitting around; it makes them a tempting target for the Carl Icahn's of the world.

by Anonymousreply 96June 26, 2020 8:15 PM

R91 - You actually can change your penis. The fat in your lower gut can effect the size of your dick, especially if you are very overweight. Guys who lose weight are surprised that their dicks are bigger than they thought.

"For every 30-50lbs, you lose an inch of visible penis".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97June 26, 2020 11:21 PM

Just got off a Reddit discussion on gyms opening up.

Yuck city. Lots of people in TX regret their decision to jump on the reopening bandwagon.

Gyms say they will do X, Y, Z but really only care about getting you a$$ back.

by Anonymousreply 98June 26, 2020 11:27 PM

R97, you gain an inch, right?

I learned that from Debbie on QAF.

by Anonymousreply 99June 27, 2020 6:01 AM

The virus is merely a tool of the New World Order.

by Anonymousreply 100June 27, 2020 6:09 AM

Mark Wahlberg seems to believe gyms will not only bounce back, but have a rock solid future.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101June 27, 2020 11:54 PM

On MSNBC, they reported that some gym just infected 200 plus members from one guy.

by Anonymousreply 102June 30, 2020 4:46 PM

My gym is closing the two locations in my area. I guess I'm not renewing my membership I've had since 1993.

by Anonymousreply 103June 30, 2020 4:54 PM

We lost all the 24 Hr Fitnesses in my state.

There is a huge hole in the downtown area now for full-size gyms.

by Anonymousreply 104June 30, 2020 5:00 PM

Now those roided-out gym queens can just get bloated, gag and die. hahahahahaha

by Anonymousreply 105June 30, 2020 5:29 PM

Nooooo! Now I'll have to limit my cruising to the bathhouses

by Anonymousreply 106June 30, 2020 5:30 PM

Gyms should have made better choices! Should not have made babies if they couldn’t support them!

by Anonymousreply 107June 30, 2020 5:38 PM

Even without COVID, many gyms have always teetered on the brink because their revenues are based on memberships. And many gyms never generate enough memberships to cover costs.

by Anonymousreply 108June 30, 2020 6:55 PM

New York gym owners aren't going down without a fight; they are getting lawyered up and telling Cuomo "see you in court".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109June 30, 2020 10:38 PM

Can't these gym owners just sell their PED's and roids on the street, like any other respectable drug dealer?

by Anonymousreply 110June 30, 2020 10:45 PM

Yup. Cancelled Equinox on reopening day in LA.

by Anonymousreply 111June 30, 2020 10:49 PM

Gays and their Gyms have the same relationship Black Women have with their churches: Yes, they could "worship" at home, but then they could not show off their "new hats".

by Anonymousreply 112July 1, 2020 12:08 AM

First case at Equinox Bev Hills - the person who tested positive took a group fitness class and used the stretching mat on the lower floor. Equinox opened about 10 days ago in LA w/ very strict regulations. Bottom line is that unless you enforce masks during heavy exertion (this the time equinox allows you to take off your mask), the money spent on all the bells and whistles to appear overly compliant mean little.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113July 1, 2020 2:25 AM

I overheard the front desk guy at my LA Fitness tell someone on the phone that he spends his entire day cancelling memberships and giving refunds since the gym reopened.

by Anonymousreply 114July 1, 2020 3:37 AM

A great time to score bargains on gently used gym equipment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115July 1, 2020 2:01 PM

Have you noticed the many testosterone-fueled rants from gym owners who are threatening to sue governors for daring to keep their gyms closed because of Covid-related concerns? So many of these meathead owners feels that gyms should be exempt from the rules because....well, they don't really have a good reason, but they're bellowing about it at the top of their lungs.

by Anonymousreply 116July 29, 2020 4:28 PM

Sounds like the gay porn industry is about to be overwhelmed by former personal trainers.

by Anonymousreply 117July 29, 2020 4:39 PM

My LA Fitness reopened and I was charged my 19.99. I need to go cancel. I was impressed they actually stopped billing during the quarantine without my requesting it.

by Anonymousreply 118July 29, 2020 4:42 PM

You mean like these two roided out freakezoids, R116?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119July 29, 2020 4:42 PM

Yes, those two idiots are prime examples, R 119.

by Anonymousreply 120July 29, 2020 5:25 PM

Guess corporate gyms will die out. The new wave will be small mom & pop gyms followed by home gyms.

by Anonymousreply 121July 30, 2020 12:01 AM

Link to reddit thread r98?

by Anonymousreply 122July 30, 2020 12:03 AM

"Gyms say they will do X, Y, Z but really only care about getting you a$$ back."

Rental car companies say their going to sanitize cars after every use. Airlines say their going to sanitize planes everyday. Target and Walmart all say their going to clean their stores top to bottom every day.

Guess what? It's all PR bullshit. It would cost money to do all this, and these mother fuckers aren't about to part with a buck just to keep their customers safe.

by Anonymousreply 123July 30, 2020 12:53 AM

Gyms will return one day. Most of my bodybuilder friends have bought equipment to work out at home, but they're itching to get back to all of the equipment which helped them develop muscle which can't be conveniently brought inside a home.

I once worked out at a musclehead gym, no air-conditioning, you didn't have to wear a shirt or tank, a big garage door opened up at the back of the building during spring and summer, one single showerhead which was used by multiple men simultaneously. (That wasn't a bad thing.) Bodybuilders will put up with anything as long as they get their workout in. Those gyms will be the first ones to reopen when restrictions are lifted, I'll wager.

by Anonymousreply 124July 30, 2020 1:31 AM

I'm a member of Elite in Hell's Kitchen (formerly David Barton's TMPL) which is a top tier club owned by Town Sports International. I pay $130 a month, but they haven't charged my card since April, which was after the gym had already closed. They said they'd give credit for the paid weeks that the gym wasn't open. I've missed going there, but it's not worth getting sick. I've been working out with elastic bands, push up handles, and doing body weight exercises in a park not far from the gym and it's filled with many of the same guys who I'd see at Elite doing the same thing. There's one group of guys that have a full-on weight set up, barbells, dumbells and all kinds of stuff that they pull there in a wagon.

by Anonymousreply 125July 30, 2020 6:10 AM

[quote]f gyms disappear, what are the gays going to do?

Punky Brewster's workout video.

by Anonymousreply 126July 30, 2020 7:22 AM

Just in from CNN (sorry didn’t see a link): San Diego gym that defied a shutdown order linked to a coronavirus outbreak

by Anonymousreply 127July 31, 2020 5:35 PM

Uh oh. This notice was attached to the door of the NY Sports Club on West 73 on the UWS. They haven't paid their rent for the past four months. I wonder how many of their branches in the city will be closed...assuming any of them reopen. I REALLY don't want to switch to Crunch, which is even shittier than NYSC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128August 25, 2020 1:07 PM

That’s my old gym from years ago r128 when I lived in the city. Sad. I took my very first spin class there, ran into Tom Cruise on the corner at Columbus (literally), and had my first instructor crush.

Memories..

I hope they don’t go under.

by Anonymousreply 129August 25, 2020 1:24 PM

Is this the gym you’re talking about r127?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130August 25, 2020 1:37 PM

Yeah, lots of small non-corporate private gyms doing lots of shady stuff. I see bros working out on IG in gyms where they aren't even suppose to be opened or before they reopened. Surprised the government doesn't crack down via social media. Lots of people tell on themselves.

by Anonymousreply 131August 25, 2020 2:42 PM

Please give reviews or experiences or memories of the Limelight Gym in NYC. I have seen it from the outside but never gone inside nor worked out there. What's it like ? Especially if you frequented the original Limelight club and now have experienced the new gym ? Just asking. ❔

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132August 26, 2020 5:18 PM

I can't believe it was turned into a gym. How funny. I used to go to the club quite often I think. Never liked it much.

by Anonymousreply 133August 26, 2020 5:56 PM

Equinox deserves to for the prices they charged.

by Anonymousreply 134August 26, 2020 5:57 PM

r133 - If I could afford it and if there were no pandemic I would give the Limelight gym a try for say a year just for laughs , kicks and memories or ghosts from the old 90's space. I bet the amenities are nice, the restrooms, etc.

by Anonymousreply 135August 26, 2020 6:47 PM

24 hours gyms need to cleaned more often

by Anonymousreply 136August 27, 2020 11:59 PM

NYSC is reopening next week. Although frankly, I don't know how they're going to be able to enforce distancing.

Frankly, I feel like jello.

by Anonymousreply 137August 28, 2020 12:09 AM

R137 Did you get a notice from NYSC that they are reopening next week? I didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 138August 28, 2020 8:49 PM

It was on their Facebook and webpage.

by Anonymousreply 139August 28, 2020 10:57 PM

I was a member of the Limelight. I met a fantastic trainer there that I still use today. It was like any other David Barton gym. Only the hip and beautiful people were there. You did and would do whatever was necessary to get the look and/or look perfect for the photo shoot. Funny... I just ran into the munchkin (David Barton) yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 140August 30, 2020 5:53 PM

NYSC must have paid the four months of overdue rent on the West 73 Street location, because that branch was open today.

by Anonymousreply 141September 2, 2020 6:08 PM

Went and worked out. I don't know if it was just the first day, but I had to wait on the street for 20 minutes before I could actually go in. Half fo the equipment is either blocked off or unavailable.

Looks like the home equipment was a wise purchase even if by some miracle there is no second wave.

by Anonymousreply 142September 2, 2020 11:40 PM

R142 I assume you go to Equinox?

by Anonymousreply 143September 3, 2020 6:30 AM

My gym has a Gofundme

I can’t contribute

Too poor and a trainer I had there was a dick to me so...

by Anonymousreply 144September 3, 2020 7:03 AM

R132, R133, et al

That old church is landmarked so after Limelight was closed as a club, and area residents saw to it things remained that way, other uses for space had to be found.

First off came a shopping center (2010-2014), but that didn't workout; and folded.

Next came David Barton's gym company (2014 and ongoing) whose original location was several blocks south on Sixth Avenue IIRC.

Am really feeling old now as recall going to David Barton and Suzanne Bartch wedding "party" at Palladium (it was one of her famous signature parties). Also attended another equally grand SB party for birth of their son; who must be well over twenty by now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145September 3, 2020 7:27 AM

No fucking harm.

Perhaps people might know learn to go to their local park put 1 foot in front of the other and jog naturally.

by Anonymousreply 146September 3, 2020 7:33 AM

Good!! Now roided-out gym queens can just gag and die while being so out-of-shape.

hahahahahahaha

by Anonymousreply 147September 3, 2020 8:09 AM

Bailey Barton is all grown up; not so bad looking either. Far better than his father IMHO

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148September 3, 2020 9:22 AM

Also considerably taller as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149September 3, 2020 9:24 AM

[quote] [R142] I assume you go to Equinox

Oh, honey, I’m neither rich nor hot enough did Equinox. I mean, I’m barely NYSC level acceptable. I’m surprised they didn’t encourage me to go to Planet Fitness.

by Anonymousreply 150September 3, 2020 1:21 PM

Did David Barton pose nude for any photographers? He seems like he would.

by Anonymousreply 151September 3, 2020 11:53 PM

R151

Highly doubt it; even when younger DB wasn't exactly attractive. Just an overbuilt pocket gay of average looks.

Yes, there were all sorts of interview/promotion pictures; but those like cover of HX were more about PR and advertising his business than anything else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152September 4, 2020 12:56 AM

From a NYT 2011 piece

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153September 4, 2020 12:57 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154September 4, 2020 12:59 AM

Even NYC's elite, exclusive and restricted private clubs are feeling pain.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155September 4, 2020 1:01 AM

Unbelievable! These gyms are just reopening and are already billing! I was just told by Equinox that members will be billed on the 9th rather than the 23rd.

by Anonymousreply 156September 5, 2020 6:16 PM

David Barton's son is a gay people, yes? And David Barton as well, despite the wife?

by Anonymousreply 157September 5, 2020 6:28 PM

David Barton was gay when he married Suzanne Bartsch....

She wanted a kid, and he needed money to expand his gym empire...... The marriage didn't last very long IIRC, and both went separate but happy ways. However none of this affected the child who was loved and raised well by both parents.

If Suzanne Bartsch were going to do it all over again today she'd probably join legions of women and just hire a surrogate with a close male friend providing sperm.

by Anonymousreply 158September 5, 2020 10:55 PM

From Crain's New York

Members of New York Sports Clubs, the fitness chain that has warned it is close to bankruptcy, woke this week to find that an automated monthly charge for dues has been fully reinstated as the gyms partially reopened.

The club’s owner, Town Sports International, billed its members for full September dues despite the gyms’ limited operating hours and reduced capacity. The charges are drawing ire from some members and facing fresh scrutiny from state Attorney General Letitia James, who in April struck a deal forcing the company to credit thousands of members for the weeks they’d been barred from the facilities during the early stages of the pandemic.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo gave fitness centers in the state the OK to reopen, though locations must limit capacity to 33%, require masks and meet ventilation guidelines. With gym-going hardly back to normal, some NYSC members were surprised to face full dues charges on short notice.

/quote

If link doesn't work you may have javascript turned off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159September 5, 2020 11:00 PM

The link doesn’t work because it’s behind a paywall.

by Anonymousreply 160September 5, 2020 11:02 PM

R160

No it's not; and some of you old Luddite queens need to up your internet skills.

Have read that Crain's article like many others with no problems what so ever. Only thing had to do was set my browser to allow use of javascript which normally is blocked.

Every single link inhabitants of DL moan about being behind a paywall (including NYT articles) works fine for myself and many others. So I guess it's just *you* that has issues.

by Anonymousreply 161September 5, 2020 11:09 PM

Gyms have no choice but to start billing soon as they can and or even accelerate where possible. They've been shut down for several months and in many states like NY beaten down to stop billing during that period, thus had no income.

Now they are being forced to upgrade ventilation systems and take other measures to be in compliance with rules for reopening, money has to come from somewhere. Am guessing atm fitness club and gym owners get the stink eye when applying for any sort of traditional financing. Many may have gotten PPP loans from SBA, but have blown through that money and still need more.

All this playing out while in background thanks to various covid-19 restrictions most gyms/fitness clubs aren't operating at anywhere near full capacity.

by Anonymousreply 162September 5, 2020 11:17 PM

Didn’t these gyms get billions in bailout funds?

by Anonymousreply 163September 5, 2020 11:26 PM

R163

Only pool of federal funds for gyms was whatever various owners could get from SBA PPP loan scheme. Individual states may have given some direct assistance (including from their share of funding from first stimulus bill), but other than that don't believe so.

Individual gym/fitness club owners and employees could have gotten UI and that $600 per week if shut down due to covid-19. But obviously large chains like NYSC only employees could get the latter.

There are several small Pilates places and "gyms" located in residential buildings in my area of NYC. Ran into a few owners over past few weeks and they all said got the UI/$600 when state shut them down. Since they don't have employees weren't eligible for PPP loans, and most are now trolling for clients as city has allowed them to reopen.

by Anonymousreply 164September 5, 2020 11:34 PM

my credit card on file expired at my gym; I need to check the balance to see what they last charged me. and when.

I'd love to help my neighborhood gym out, but right before the shut down he hired this guy from another gym where I used to go to and he was a complete asshole to me.

There's no way I'd want to help out my current gym. I won't go back to it once there's a vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 165September 7, 2020 1:21 AM

NY Sports deserves to go out of business. Shittiest gym in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 166September 7, 2020 1:43 AM

[quote] NY Sports deserves to go out of business. Shittiest gym in NYC.

Hey, what about me?!

by Anonymousreply 167September 7, 2020 9:40 AM

NYSCs vary wildly. Some of them are nasty like the staff isn't even trying. They have hundreds of people coming through any no one cleaning on weekends? Mountains of used towels everywhere. Don't miss it.

by Anonymousreply 168September 7, 2020 10:58 AM

[quote] ... a trainer I had there was a dick to me so...

Lucky you!

Oh wait, I read that wrong.

by Anonymousreply 169September 7, 2020 12:01 PM

Massive amount of businesses going bankrupt. There, fixed that for you.

by Anonymousreply 170September 7, 2020 3:00 PM

David Barton gyms must have been a sensory and olfactory delight to visit. I felt bad when he sold his gyms and then again when they eventually closed, pre-COVID. I thought the gyms would lose their magic without Barton attached to it. Did someone say that the Limelight gym is considered to be a David Barton gym ? I waited on line with him at Whole Foods years ago, I think he is nice.

by Anonymousreply 171September 12, 2020 6:03 PM

R169, I had a crush, I admit it. He is deeply closeted I came to discover.

Recipe for disaster.

Alas, he was really good at training me. I was getting biceps and a core.

It really did a number one me.

by Anonymousreply 172September 12, 2020 6:52 PM

R171

Don't feel so bad for David Barton, he landed on his feet in a way I suppose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173September 12, 2020 9:53 PM

More with DB

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174September 12, 2020 9:53 PM

What look would you say DB was going for in that video?

by Anonymousreply 175September 13, 2020 4:00 PM

R175

Someone they found next morning in backrooms of Alex in Wonderland when lights were turned on; probably scrapped off the floor.

by Anonymousreply 176September 13, 2020 9:48 PM

NYSC parent company has filed for bankruptcy.......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177September 14, 2020 9:12 PM

[quote]NYSC parent company has filed for bankruptcy

I don't want people to lose their jobs, but NYSC needs to close. Worse. Gym. Ever!

by Anonymousreply 178September 14, 2020 11:14 PM

Crunch might be worse. Although it’s close.

by Anonymousreply 179September 15, 2020 1:21 AM

NYSC was expected. The pandemic just have them an excuse. GNC bankrupt and Flywheel declared bankruptcy too.

by Anonymousreply 180September 15, 2020 11:22 PM

Equinox has been very quiet. I wonder if members are complaining about the high cost of membership yet lack of a full use of the gym and amenities?

by Anonymousreply 181September 15, 2020 11:26 PM

There was a hardcore gym here which went bankrupt in the early 90, so about 20 bodybuilders purchased it to make it their own private gym. I was invited by a friend to come over. All of the guys were barechested. At the end of their workouts, some would drop their shorts and pose in front of the mirror naked. My friend told me they were looking closely at the muscles in their groin, because posing suits were getting smaller and smaller and these muscles would be visible. It wasn't even noticed by the others. Nice dicks on some, balls too, varying size of bushes, from shaved clean for a contest to a Cypriot man who was heavily-forested.

I had to sit down most of the time I was there. I made the mistake of wearing tights. My friend enjoyed the unfolding situation.

by Anonymousreply 182September 16, 2020 1:21 AM

R181 Oh, they have been.

by Anonymousreply 183September 16, 2020 2:59 AM

R183 here again, after pushing 'Post' too soon.

If you're on the EQX App under Member Communities, there's all sorts of complaining going on-a lot of it rightfully so-and then your usual bitching and moaning that you find anywhere else...

by Anonymousreply 184September 16, 2020 3:02 AM

There is no point in going to the gym while you have to wear a mask and can't even take a shower or use the sauna/Jacuzzi, fuck that!

by Anonymousreply 185September 16, 2020 3:06 AM

I'm paying $320/month for all access at Equinox. My home gym has a huge pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steam, sundeck, restruarant, and cafe. We were open about 4 weeks in LA before we had the surge and everything closed down. All of the above = cancelled. Although now, if they reopen I might just be desperate enough to pay the fee. I was reading the app as well R184. While it's scaled down, it's still the nicest and cleanest indoor gym experience if that is the route you choose to go. You are paying for it to be spotless now which I guess is the new normal amenities. Clean, socially distant, practically empty space.

by Anonymousreply 186September 16, 2020 5:37 AM

I was bullied as a kid in high school during gym class.

I came to LA and joined a gym; some guys were nice, but a few were real assholes.

They're out of luck now.

by Anonymousreply 187September 16, 2020 5:50 AM

the whole business model of gyms is to enforce contracts on people who do not come in. Then on the people who do come in, make all the classes and amenities they want cost extra.

Let these businesses go under. Get the equipment if you have space. Something better will come along.

by Anonymousreply 188September 16, 2020 5:50 AM

R187 here; I feel badly for the nice guys there.

The jerks are just terrible tho; homophobic, cruel.

by Anonymousreply 189September 16, 2020 5:56 AM

A lot of people, myself included, have the gym as a key part of the day. Either before of after work, it's both mental and physical. It can be nice to see acquaintances, etc. Obviously that part of life is on pause for many of us and may be gone. People are willing to pay for amenities. I thought after the first lockdown that people might be more cautious, but as soon as things opened up, people rushed in. I'm just watching and waiting for now. I'm deciding if it's time to spend 2K for a peloton and quitting the gym. I don't think I can do another online yoga or cardio class.

by Anonymousreply 190September 16, 2020 5:57 AM

Gyms quickly re opened in the EU with showers and everything with no known cases of transmission.

Exercise is good for the immune system.

by Anonymousreply 191September 16, 2020 6:06 AM

NYSC members in New York better check their credit card statements!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192September 16, 2020 7:06 AM

This gym in Ohio is open—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193September 16, 2020 7:11 AM

Isnt if funny how before the pandemic, the gyms were like "we are super mega successful with hundreds of gyms across the nation" Then the minute they get their memberships on pause (most of which are from people who actually never go) They be like "OMG we need to BK, it's not our fault, we live pay check to pay check and never though about putting those hundreds of millions away in case of an emergency!"

by Anonymousreply 194September 16, 2020 7:22 AM

I think it's ironic that a business model that profited from signing up large volumes of people with a monthly charge knowing 80% stop going after the first month but keep paying are now begging those people to come in.

by Anonymousreply 195September 16, 2020 7:24 AM

I go to equinox and don’t really care about the amenities that are closed. I pay the extra money because NYSC is so disgustingly dirty and some of the members look like they’re covered in body louse. Home workouts are fine in a pinch, but being in a gym is more motivating and comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 196September 16, 2020 2:15 PM

It's like indoor dining--yes it's probably safe and restaurants are limiting capacity but it's just too stressful to be enjoyable right now. Ditto the big globo gyms.

Crossfit, yoga and other boutique type gyms where they can limit classes to less than 10 people, often do them outdoors and don't require a lot of equipment will be okay and also tend to have more dedicated clientele.

As far as at-home, I suspect many Peletons will revert to mostly being used as clothes hangers by the end of the year.

by Anonymousreply 197September 16, 2020 2:25 PM

All business going bankrupt need to sue the government that forced their closure.

by Anonymousreply 198September 16, 2020 2:36 PM

Sue the government because they closed? That's asinine. This is a PANDEMIC. People are dying. Closing and distancing were the only good options, and many idiots couldn't even do that correctly. Instead, people whose loved ones died should sue the current federal administration and some state govt's for dereliction of duty.

by Anonymousreply 199September 16, 2020 9:28 PM

So fucking what R199?

The pandemic did not force the closure the government did. They need to pay.

by Anonymousreply 200September 16, 2020 9:37 PM

The "no shower no sink" rule, has nothing to do with Covid Public Health ordinance. You are suppose to wash yourself MORE. They are so cheap and do not want to pay their water bill.

by Anonymousreply 201September 16, 2020 10:58 PM

The bathroom sinks are still functional in my NYSC since it reopened. Not the showers, though.

by Anonymousreply 202September 17, 2020 12:06 AM

Totally agree R196. I cannot do another home workout and while I'll miss the amenities, getting a good, relatively safe, clean workout in is a luxury in and of itself.

by Anonymousreply 203September 17, 2020 3:07 AM

NYC opens up indoor pools!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204September 18, 2020 10:24 PM

Gyms are disgusting and they attract awful people. Happy with my Peloton and free weights.

by Anonymousreply 205September 18, 2020 10:52 PM

Should I visit my local Crunch? They have been charging me from September 1 after all.....

by Anonymousreply 206September 19, 2020 10:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!