Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Researchers uncover six-year Russian misinformation campaign across Facebook and Reddit

“For six years, a mysterious group has used forged documents and a network of burner accounts to spread misinformation promoting Russian national interests, according to a new report from Graphika.

Dubbed “Secondary Infektion,” the campaign spanned a number of online platforms, beginning on the Russia-based LiveJournal in 2014, and moving to Twitter and YouTube later that year. In the years that followed, the campaign shifted to Reddit, Medium, and even the user-generated portion of BuzzFeed. All told, the report spans more than 2,500 pieces of content, posted across seven languages and more than 300 different forums, websites, and social networks.

“By April 21, 2020, Graphika had identified some 250 images that the operation had planted in its articles, almost all of them suspected forgeries,” the report states. “We expect that more remain to be found.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 29, 2020 9:44 PM

“According to researchers, the content tended to promote themes that align with Russian national interests during the period, including the unreliability of Ukraine, hostility to NATO interventions, or personal attacks on critics of the Kremlin or Russian government. The campaign took particular aim at the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), which instituted a four-year ban on Russian involvement in international sports after finding evidence of doctored lab results.“

by Anonymousreply 1June 17, 2020 6:06 AM

“Despite the broad scope and long duration of the campaign, few of the posts reached a broad audience, suggesting that the groups coordinating the effort may not have succeeded in their aims. “If Secondary Infektion was aiming at viral impact,” the report concludes, “it failed.”

In many instances, users appear to have dismissed the troll posts as untrustworthy, tipped off by poor grammar or idiosyncratic political agenda. “Repeatedly in the course of this research, Graphika came across comments below Secondary Infektion stories that questioned or ridiculed them, or called them out as ‘Russian trolls,’” researchers say. “It is therefore especially important to maintain a sense of perspective when crafting responses to such online operations.””

by Anonymousreply 2June 17, 2020 6:08 AM

I could tell that reddit has been hijacked since around 2015 or so. Not surprised.

Just wonder how all those smart people on there don’t realize they were being manipulated so obviously. Maybe they aren’t as smart as they used to be.

by Anonymousreply 3June 17, 2020 6:12 AM

I don't know why Russia even bothers, Fox News has brainwashed enough people in this country.

by Anonymousreply 4June 17, 2020 6:40 AM

I appreciate this thread!

by Anonymousreply 5June 17, 2020 6:41 AM

I've heard stories of Russian malfeasance over the web for quite some time. For what it's worth, I do feel there is some concern, but I still don't really understand what the over-arching purpose of the whole sneaky operation really is. What is their primary mission in doing this, and in doing so, what do they hope it will accomplish?

by Anonymousreply 6June 17, 2020 7:02 AM

If Russians put as much energy into making their country a better place as they do trying to make the world think their country is a better place, it would actually be a better place. What the fuck is wrong with that entire country mentally? Trump should move there. He'd fit right in.

by Anonymousreply 7June 17, 2020 7:16 AM

Putin just made a comment to (of course) Maggie Haberman about how the US is a mess politically because of racial and economic tension.

Like, fuck off, you short bald bitch. Go ride a horse with no shirt.

by Anonymousreply 8June 17, 2020 7:41 AM

R6, the overwhelming desire is to create a climate that enables the ending of sanctions against Russia. It's one of the great ironies that Putin is presented as this hugely successful, Bond-villain type genius, but he hasn't got anywhere near his main international objective and, indeed, his ineptness or lack of control over underlings makes it less likely (cf the Salisbury poisonings).

by Anonymousreply 9June 17, 2020 8:22 AM

The Ottoman Empire was once called the Sick Man of Europe because it was a once-great powerhouse that was crumbling and in a rapid decline. I feel like that's an apt title for Russia this century. They enjoy nowhere near the status they once possessed during the Soviet years. Their internet guerrilla warfare is the only thing providing any victories, and even these will be short-lived and aren't exactly helping their average citizen.

by Anonymousreply 10June 17, 2020 8:38 AM

[quote]few of the posts reached a broad audience, suggesting that the groups coordinating the effort may not have succeeded in their aims

Sounds like 2016. Their Boris and Natasha type Facebook posts have always been a flop, but they did have huge success with the Steele Dossier. Probably much more than they had imagined.

by Anonymousreply 11June 17, 2020 8:53 AM

Isn't Pooty supposedly worth something like $200 billion? I'd say running his country into the shitter is working out quite nicely for him.

by Anonymousreply 12June 17, 2020 10:57 AM

[quote]Maybe they aren’t as smart as they used to be.

Reddit used to be smart?

by Anonymousreply 13June 17, 2020 11:01 AM

Let me guess Facebook turned the other cheek?

by Anonymousreply 14June 17, 2020 4:42 PM

Wonder if this has anything to do with Reddit banning a bunch of groups today like r/The_Donald, r/ChapoTrapHouse and r/gendercritical?

by Anonymousreply 15June 29, 2020 6:05 PM

Yes. And we will fall for it every time. Americans are the dumbest cunts on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 16June 29, 2020 6:16 PM

Did Datalounge make the list? Probably not.

by Anonymousreply 17June 29, 2020 6:30 PM

Took them long enough.

by Anonymousreply 18June 29, 2020 6:35 PM

R15, that's great news. Good for Reddit (for once).

by Anonymousreply 19June 29, 2020 6:51 PM

Realllllly? Noooooooooo!

You don’t say?!?!?

by Anonymousreply 20June 29, 2020 9:03 PM

Probably r15. The crackdowns are starting. Barr and Dump are on wafer thin ice.

by Anonymousreply 21June 29, 2020 9:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!