Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Boy Band TAKE THAT

Were they considered a good group? I’ve been checking out some of their videos and concerts on YouTube...they didn’t suck and in some ways better than their US counterparts. I like their gay sound. Their manager is gay, right? Because in some of their videos they look like they are attending a Sunday tea dance...and surprisingly, all of them are heterosexuals too. Married and with kids.

What say DLers?

by Anonymousreply 128a day ago

I unashamedly love Take That. Some fantastic tunes.

by Anonymousreply 106/15/2020

I like their version of COULD IT BE MAGIC...the video is a real hoot.

by Anonymousreply 206/15/2020

it's 10 years old, but gary barlow was aging nicely here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306/15/2020

I’m surprised at how handsome Gary Barlow is. Robbie had the star quality and it is hard to notice the others when they were onstage together. For me anyway.

by Anonymousreply 406/15/2020

Saw them perform on stage in a gay bar in Bournemouth, England before they got famous.

by Anonymousreply 506/15/2020

It blew my mind the twink dancing in a crop top ended up being straight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 606/15/2020

They may be all straight, but they had no problem in their early days grovelling for gay men's money before they got the young female market.

by Anonymousreply 706/15/2020

They were meant to be the U.K. version of New Kids On The Block (and they were), but unlike NK’s who had worldwide success, Take That never took off in America and only had one hit (Back For Good).

And I still think Robbie is gay even if he is married to a woman (that looks like a man).

by Anonymousreply 806/15/2020

I played "Back for good" so much my husband threatened to throw the stereo in the street . That is the gayest goddamn video Ive ever seen R6 ! They ALL look like screaming queens ! I loved Robbie most,but Gary was a very close 2nd. So handsome. I neither knew nor cared about the other 2 .

by Anonymousreply 906/15/2020

This is one of the gayest videos of which I know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1006/15/2020

I absolutely adore Take That. Only discovered them after they reformed in 2005. The Circus and Progress (for which Robbie returned) are their two best albums IMO.

I went to see them in concert once and got front row seats which was awesome in theory Until all the aging frau from the cheap seats swarmed up front. The crazy frau next to me was telling me how she stalks them and said she would tell me which hotel they were staying in if i wanted to know. I declined.

by Anonymousreply 1106/15/2020

Superficial comment: Robbie Williams (b. 1974) used to mock Gary Barlow (b. 1971) for being the "old" one in the group, but Barlow looks much more youthful than Williams in middle age.

by Anonymousreply 1206/15/2020

Robbie and Gary made a pretty sexy gaybait music video in 2010, very Brokeback-ish.

Gary is beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1306/15/2020

R13 Fucking lame. So sick of gay baiting shit. And idiots like you eat it up.

by Anonymousreply 1406/15/2020

I know they're a 90s band, but looking back on them, they seem so very 80s. Even Robbie's solo efforts seem to harken to the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 1506/15/2020

[quote] Were they considered a good group?

Were they a positive group?

by Anonymousreply 1606/15/2020

The Circus is a genuinely great pop album. Not a single track on the entire thing is even slightly bad, all of them are good, and at least half of them are all-time classics which will be played for decades.

Great, great record.

by Anonymousreply 1706/15/2020

Gary was always the fat one who wrote the songs. It honestly, he's aged the best out of all of them. Mark looks like an aging lesbian and Robbie is rough. The other two, Jason and Howie always seemed interchangeable to me.

by Anonymousreply 1806/15/2020

Why didn’t they win over US audiences?

by Anonymousreply 1906/16/2020

I remember seeing this on television when I would have been nine years old, and that it made me feel and think things that I had never done before. I had a distinct memory of thinking that I couldn't wait to be a grown-up, so I could also do things like this.

Take That made me gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2006/16/2020

R20, I love the sexy cheesiness of that! Euro men are not afraid of camp. Would N’Sync or 98 Degrees have done something like this?

by Anonymousreply 2106/16/2020

[quote]Why didn’t they win over US audiences?

Because their music sucked and was dated. Between 1990-1995, new jack swing, rap and grunge was what was popular in the US and pop had faded out of popularity.

Plus they were ugly like most British people.

by Anonymousreply 2206/16/2020

Has Jason found the right girl yet?

by Anonymousreply 2306/16/2020

This is nice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2406/16/2020

Never mind r22. 🙄🙄

by Anonymousreply 2506/16/2020

I can't think of another hugely successful boy band that bared as much onstage as Take That.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2606/16/2020

Howard again, writhing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2706/16/2020

Gary Barlow is a tax-dodging Tory cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2806/16/2020

[quote] it made me feel and think things that I had never done before

Have you ever been to you, R20?

by Anonymousreply 2906/16/2020

Charlene is from Manchester, England England, is she not?

by Anonymousreply 3006/16/2020

R30, she’s not from the Isle of Greece. I know that much.

by Anonymousreply 3106/16/2020

I forget who it was, either Gary or Robbie, but one of the them said in an interview that during their heyday, the band spent 80% or more of their time learning choreographer and basically told "don't worry about the music".

by Anonymousreply 3206/16/2020

They performed at lots of gay clubs when they were trying to make it, at a time when other mainstream acts would not have dared acknowledge that they had gay fans.They definitely played up to the gay press in a cheeky but friendly way. They maintained a gay fan base as a result. Their music was not to my taste, but even I recognise that Gary Barlow is a talented songwriter.

by Anonymousreply 3306/16/2020

The band was made as a vehicle to Gary Barlow, before luch his solo career. He was the star of the group, at least on paper because Robbie stole his spotlight pretty soon.

The clothes was quite audatious.

And yes, they were the uk response to nkotb and even they only had once hit in the USA (in the 90's usa charts were tough for foreigners) globally they had more success an lasted longer

by Anonymousreply 3406/16/2020

A still from their music video for "Do What You Like."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3506/16/2020

They didn’t really need US validation. They seemed to be loved everywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 3606/16/2020

I liked solo Robbie Williams but was never a Take That fan

by Anonymousreply 3706/16/2020

Barlow does seem a tad ballad heavy in his solo career. I liked the dance stuff better. The videos are so cheesy and fun.

by Anonymousreply 3806/16/2020

"Rule the World" is probably my favourite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3906/16/2020

R7, like Samantha in SATC said, first the gays, then the girls...

by Anonymousreply 4006/16/2020

It's strange how Gary was okay looking but plain while Robbie was the hot one when they were young, but now that they're old Gary is the silver fox and Robbie looks like a taxi driver.

by Anonymousreply 4106/16/2020

The Take That episode of Star Stories is a work of art

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4206/16/2020

Robbie Williams had a lot of bad habits. Gary Barlow married a dancer. She probably helped him keep his weight (and eating habits) in check.

by Anonymousreply 4306/16/2020

Nothing you can do for a lazy eye though

by Anonymousreply 4406/16/2020

Gary B. & son Daniel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4506/16/2020

Robbie is adorable.

by Anonymousreply 4606/16/2020

With all due apologies to the band as a whole, nothing they did even at the height of their popularity could ever equal Robbie at Knebworth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4706/16/2020

Here's the full Star Stories episode.

"I watched you tonight and I think you've got something."

"Really?"

"Yes. A fucking eating disorder."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4806/16/2020

Baby Barlow is hot...please tell me he’s above the legal age of consent.

by Anonymousreply 4906/16/2020

He’s 20.

by Anonymousreply 5006/16/2020

Fat Gary Barlow before the lap band.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5106/16/2020

Is that his mom at R51?

by Anonymousreply 5206/16/2020

His music is rather ballad heavy.

by Anonymousreply 5306/16/2020

R53, are you also R38?

by Anonymousreply 5406/16/2020

Robbie is fun to watch in Rock DJ.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5506/16/2020

R55 as a gayling I made my neighbor (same age as me, around 11) dance to this and strip off for my amusement. I also touched his peepee.

by Anonymousreply 5606/16/2020

Tell us more, R56.

by Anonymousreply 5706/16/2020

r56's friend is Mark Perper.

by Anonymousreply 5806/16/2020

I always preferred East 17 over Take That.

by Anonymousreply 5906/16/2020

As a teenager when TT were in their prime Howard was always first up in the wank bank. Amazing body, pierced nipple and super flexible.

But 25 years on I can look back and marvel at how beautiful Jason Orange was, especially in the Pray video. Rumour has it stoked Lulu's fire and she got quite attached to him. Jason Orange was big leggy.

Top 5 Take Take Tracks are: Pray, Patience, Rule The World, Love Don't Love Here Anymore, Back For Good

Really not a fan of solo Robbie, absolutely loathe Angels with a passion and can't understand why it became the anthem it did. No Regrets is his finest moment, elevated by Neils Tennant and Hannon. Robbie's greatest contribution to music remains Kylie's Your Disco Needs You, now two decades old.

One of the music channels here keeps showing Gary's Love Won't Wait video, which was not his best, and you can see Madonna didn't bother recording the song. He gave up on of his songs for John Barrowman to record for one of his solo albums. What About Us isn't a Barlow classic but close your eyes and imagine Dionne Warwick recording it in the early 80s.

Oh and Mark's Clementine single was quite good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6006/16/2020

[Quote] Rumour has it stoked Lulu's fire and she got quite attached to him.

That story instantly made me think that Jason was gay, and their gay manager (Nigel Martin Smith) put the rumor out as a smokescreen.

by Anonymousreply 6106/16/2020

I love "Love Won't Wait" but I loathe Barlow's version. It should have been given to a Philly soul diva, like Loleatta Holloway.

by Anonymousreply 6206/16/2020

Never Forget is also an amazing track. One of the few that puts Howard on lead vocals. It’s definitely a fan favourite for that reason.

by Anonymousreply 6306/17/2020

I only learned in the past year that Howard sings "Never Forget." The music video is a montage. I thought for years that Barlow's voice was particularly nasal and "off" on that recording. Turns out it was the Donald.

by Anonymousreply 6406/17/2020

"Never Forget" was their final single (before their second lease of life comeback). It capped off their "boy" era. Its status isn't entirely down to Howard.

by Anonymousreply 6506/17/2020

Their sound is thin and flat. Production is off.

by Anonymousreply 6606/17/2020

I like the fact that when they now sing Never Forget live on tour, they often get their support act to fill in for Robbie Williams.

by Anonymousreply 6706/17/2020

Poor Gary - simply aching to be Dame Gary Barlow.

by Anonymousreply 6806/17/2020

A bit leggy? What does that mean?

by Anonymousreply 6906/17/2020

Not a bit leggy, but BIG LEGGY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7006/17/2020

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 7106/17/2020

I remember Gary and Mark giving advice to Ruth Lorenzo on the X factor. They were so good at giving advice that her version was better than the original

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7206/17/2020

if you were a gay euro in the 90's these guys were ALL you talked about

by Anonymousreply 7306/17/2020

[Quote] if you were a gay euro in the 90's these guys were ALL you talked about

Hardly.

by Anonymousreply 7406/17/2020

R73: It was so mainstream that there's a scene in How to build a girl where the protagonist and her gay brother go to a Take that concert after his coming out.

R74: Kylie had a tough time in the 90's, she had several hits (Confide in me was number 2) but no number one and the sales of her albums were no good. Spinning around rescue her with the change of decade

by Anonymousreply 7506/17/2020

EuroGays aren't concerned with album sales.

by Anonymousreply 7606/17/2020

[quote]Kylie had a tough time in the 90's, she had several hits (Confide in me was number 2) but no number one and the sales of her albums were no good. Spinning around rescue her with the change of decade

LIES

LIES

LIES

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7706/17/2020

And on the subject of Kylie, it still fucks me off they STOLE her Give Me Just A Little More Time video when they did Everything Changes.

It's a DISGRACE.

by Anonymousreply 7806/17/2020

R77: You are right, her only number one of the 90's was released on january of 1990. Everything went downhill after that.

Anyway, her problem weren't the singles, she had a good bunch of top 10 hits but the sales of the albums

by Anonymousreply 7906/17/2020

Musically, Barlow was the true talent of the band with writing most of their songs. He sang a duet with Agnetha from Abba!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8006/17/2020

[quote]I remember Gary and Mark giving advice to Ruth Lorenzo on the X factor. They were so good at giving advice that her version was better than the original

Leona Lewis benefited from Gary Barlow's X Factor intervention too. Telling Cowell not to fuck up her career and to treat her as an artist.

And he came out of the Misha B racism scandal well. She was complimentary about him, said he was supportive and refused to join in the bullying of her.

by Anonymousreply 8106/17/2020

Leona Lewis' career crashed and burned, did it not?

by Anonymousreply 8206/17/2020

Bleeding Love and the Spirit album both made #1 in the UK and US.

Cowell would have had her doing Barry Manilow covers if he had the chance, rather than linking her up with Clive Davis and Ryan Tedder.

by Anonymousreply 8306/17/2020

I had never heard of them until I watched the HBO series Lookng...........Kevin (Russell Tovey) was telling the character Patrick (Jonathan Groff) in Bed, post coital, that he had a huge thing for that boy band when he was growing up.

by Anonymousreply 8406/17/2020

R83: Cowell simply wants to cash on the talent show contestants while they are popular (it's very usual in the talent show world). He doesn't see them as artists.

People like Olly Murs or Will Young survived because they knew what they wanted to do, but when the singer is very young or naive the posibilities of a long career are crushed.

And he is very manipulative, i remember the first pop idol and he made believe everyone Gareth Bates was the big favourite because he wanted him to win because he was just a teen and easy to manipulate and of course Young was gay (and he came out eight months before even release the first album). Then the numbers came and Young was the one with more votes most of the weeks. Anyway he made everything in his hand to make look like Bates was the one having more success (even when sales said otherwise).

The fact that Young's second album was a big success was a big fuck you to him

by Anonymousreply 8506/17/2020

If Cowell could have sold Westlife to the US, he would have. The US was more receptive to Leona Lewis. It is as simple as that.

by Anonymousreply 8606/17/2020

The problem with Leona was the fact that they didn't planned the whole thing well.

Yes, Bleeding love was a huge success but release ballad after ballad after ballad is never a good idea. Sam Smith survived but for Leona was the kiss of death when the first single of her second album flopped

by Anonymousreply 8706/17/2020

[quote]And he is very manipulative, i remember the first pop idol and he made believe everyone Gareth Bates was the big favourite because he wanted him to win because he was just a teen and easy to manipulate and of course Young was gay (and he came out eight months before even release the first album). Then the numbers came and Young was the one with more votes most of the weeks. Anyway he made everything in his hand to make look like Bates was the one having more success (even when sales said otherwise).

GATES. Gareth GATES.

by Anonymousreply 8806/17/2020

R88: Yes, i'm sorry. Gates, it's Gates

by Anonymousreply 8906/17/2020

[quote]Yes, i'm sorry. Gates, it's Gates

It could happen to anyone of us

by Anonymousreply 9006/17/2020

[quote]It could happen to anyone of us

A (very) stupid mistake

by Anonymousreply 9106/17/2020

I never really heard Jason speak so I searched him up on YouTube and boy does he ping. Also watched a live performance of him singing Wooden Boat. He has a lovely voice so it’s a shame he was never given the chance to sing lead as often as the some of the others.

by Anonymousreply 9206/18/2020

Robbie is said to have a big ego...what stories do y’all have? Didn’t he and Gary almost come to blows?

by Anonymousreply 9306/18/2020

I haven’t thought about the band, or more specifically, Robbie Williams for decades. But when I read his name, I went back to my younger 90’s ideology that he was gay. I was very surprised and dismayed to see he’s straight.

It’s an interesting feeling to realize some time after the fact that you were a victim of gay baiting. Those bastards!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9406/18/2020

I wouldn't be surprised if he's lying.

by Anonymousreply 9506/18/2020

I like Jason. He was clearly anxious about his level of talent; was the most reluctant of the four to reform the group; had obviously been given a hard time by Robbie, who apologised for this specifically; was uncomfortable with the short-lived Robbie return Barlow fixed up; was the only one not to get involved in the tax dodging business and has now returned to a quiet life again.

by Anonymousreply 9606/18/2020

[quote]I wouldn't be surprised if he's lying.

What's more likely?

1. Robbie Williams is gay and has deliberately concocted a string of fake relationships to hide this, including Nicole Appleton from All Saints aborting her pregnancy and his current relationship with Ayda Field who has given birth to 4 of his children.

2. Robbie Williams is straight and likes fucking women, and especially enjoys fucking his wife who has given birth to 4 of his kids.

3. Robbie Williams is bisexual and mostly has relationships with women but likes some cock on the side.

by Anonymousreply 9706/18/2020

I'm obsessed with Robbie Williams. Like, to the point that it's a bit detrimental to my life. But I never liked Take That.

by Anonymousreply 9806/18/2020

But I have never heard anything about Robbie and a man. Gordon Ramsay, yes. More than once. So I can believe that Ramsay is bisexual...but other than his camp image...I don’t think that he is. He’s made comments about his sexuality in the press, but it was more like he was having a go with the reporters. He loves talking smack.

by Anonymousreply 9906/18/2020

Wasnt there some scandal of a gay guy killing himself at Robbies mansion ? Too lazy to google ,but my memorys pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 10006/18/2020

That was Michael Barrymore's downfall.

by Anonymousreply 10106/18/2020

Ha ! I still got it !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10206/18/2020

Wow...I’m gonna guess that Robbie was not involved...maybe his hairdresser asked him for a loan and Robbie refused?

by Anonymousreply 10306/18/2020

Reading that hairdresser story I'd completely forgotten about Jonathan Wilkes.

He's like the male version of Lizzie Cundy he's so undeserving of any notoriety.

by Anonymousreply 10406/18/2020

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10506/22/2020

there are rumors of gordon ramsay with men???

by Anonymousreply 10606/22/2020

They’ve been whispered about forever.

by Anonymousreply 10706/22/2020

I knew about the one where he was arrested with two other guys naked in a public restroom, but the story was they were drunk and just having a laugh.? Oooh I bet Gordon is an aplha top.

by Anonymousreply 10806/23/2020

Allegedly Gordon likes the occasional boy twink. Sort of the way that Gary Barlow looks in the Instagram photo upthread.

by Anonymousreply 10906/23/2020

Jason is the only one that hasn't bred multiple times. And if he fucked Lulu, I'm Meghan Markle.

by Anonymousreply 11006/23/2020

Reading the older threads about TT it sounds like Barlow has a bit of an ego too. I think that Robbie Williams would have pummeled him.

by Anonymousreply 11106/26/2020

Of course he had an ego. He could write and sing. Some of his bandmates could do little more than shake it.

by Anonymousreply 11206/26/2020

He’s very good. Why’d he struggle with a solo career while Williams seemed to flourish?

by Anonymousreply 11306/26/2020

He's lacking in charisma.

by Anonymousreply 11406/26/2020

I’ve been enjoying Gary’s Crooner sessions on YouTube and Instagram. His concerts are decent too. But one of the members, Orange, quit the group because he “realized” that he wasn’t all that talented and blamed the group’s manager, Nigel, for filling his head with ideas that he was.

by Anonymousreply 11506/29/2020

[Quote] But one of the members, Orange, quit the group because he “realized” that he wasn’t all that talented and blamed the group’s manager, Nigel, for filling his head with ideas that he was.

What? Jason Orange only left in the last few years. His attempts at an acting career brought him down to reality - long before Take That regrouped.

by Anonymousreply 11606/29/2020

Yes r116. You’re right. What acting did he do? He and Donald were the closest thing to models in that group.

by Anonymousreply 11706/29/2020

Robbie Williams has done albums with standards/Great American Songbook-type stuff. Has Gary Barlow ever released anything like that, or does he mostly do his own stuff?

by Anonymousreply 11806/29/2020

You can peruse some of Barlow's album credits here. It's funny how they US release cropped the cover image of his debut to lesser effect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11906/29/2020

His second album isn't listed at the link above, though.

by Anonymousreply 12006/29/2020

I’ll say this much after watching X Factor clips on YouTube and I will gladly take hits for it.

Gary Barlow PINGS! He does. His hand movements, the way he sits, the slightly femme way he talks. Maybe it’s a European/UK thing. There’s a lot of straight men who have effeminate mannerisms.

by Anonymousreply 121Last Sunday at 10:39 AM

Gary Barlow, Tory lackey and would rim Boris Johnson if Boris told him to, tax dodger, wants a knighthood before Beckham receives one.

He could have been very successful in Hollywood with his backstabbing skills.

by Anonymousreply 122Last Sunday at 6:38 PM

Too tubby for Tinsletown.

by Anonymousreply 123Last Sunday at 6:40 PM

Has Barlow ever explained why he was involved in this tax dodging scheme? Has anyone ever read his autobiography?

by Anonymousreply 124Yesterday at 2:03 AM

You want to know why Gary Barlow wanted to keep more of his money? That's a head scratcher, alright.

by Anonymousreply 125Yesterday at 5:01 AM

Lol r125, I want to know his spin on it.

by Anonymousreply 126Yesterday at 7:16 AM

According to his autobiography, Barlow claimed to not checking up on his books and where is money was going, and when he found out, paid the back taxes. But he made no public apology and got dinged for it.

by Anonymousreply 127a day ago

DIdn't they do a photo spread in some magazine/website that they were all sorta naked in a spa like environment?

by Anonymousreply 128a day ago
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!