Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I think it's time we revisit "Romeo + Juliet" (1996) and its beautiful and odd uniqueness

The film is bizarre in some ways, but it makes a very interesting watch, and very beautiful in many ways. The Directing choices worked, and the film had beautiful cinematography and a gorgeous soundtrack. The acting was also superb, despite some weird casting choices like John Leguizamo and Paul Rudd.

Clare Danes, someone who I usually find bland and plain, was great here and she looked so pretty!!! Her and Leo looked beautiful together.

The scene below is one of my favorites. It is poignant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 21, 2021 10:55 AM

Agree op, It was a great adaptation and made a lot of Shakespeare,’s before and after look full. I disagree that Clare looked beautiful (she looks better now) but worked for the part and gave the film a further edge. I still liste. To the soundtrack today.

by Anonymousreply 1June 15, 2020 10:05 PM

OP, were you "between homes" and staying with family friends when this movie came out?

by Anonymousreply 2June 15, 2020 10:06 PM

^Look dull, not full

by Anonymousreply 3June 15, 2020 10:06 PM

Danes was the selling point of this film for me, more so than DiCaprio (granted it came out before Titanic made him a mega star) because of My So Called Life. I loved it.

I did like him in Growing Pains also. I was a kid when this came out.

by Anonymousreply 4June 15, 2020 10:11 PM

Leonard Whiting’s ass > Leo’s ass

by Anonymousreply 5June 15, 2020 10:23 PM

Mercutio was the highlight of this film

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 15, 2020 10:25 PM

It sucked donkey dick.

by Anonymousreply 7June 15, 2020 10:25 PM

this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 15, 2020 10:26 PM

Almost teenage me was....strongly affected by Leo’s beauty haha. Not that I hated seeing Whiting’s gorgeous backside in 9th grade English a few years later.

by Anonymousreply 9June 15, 2020 10:31 PM

The two leads sucked, but everything else was great and trashy.

by Anonymousreply 10June 15, 2020 10:34 PM

Loved the soundtrack!

by Anonymousreply 11June 15, 2020 10:39 PM

I loved the preamble? prologue? intro? explaining the feud between the families- the visuals were so stunning. The rest of the film? Meh, still with great visuals.

by Anonymousreply 12June 15, 2020 10:59 PM

I agree. The opening was epic and awesome. The rest of the movie not so much.

by Anonymousreply 13June 15, 2020 11:08 PM

It’s one of my weakest films I don’t even acknowledge anymore.

by Anonymousreply 14June 15, 2020 11:25 PM

It’s beautiful

by Anonymousreply 15June 16, 2020 2:44 PM

Great music, too. I especially like Garbage's "#1 Crush."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 16, 2020 5:14 PM

^^^ Sorry, dead link above.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 16, 2020 5:16 PM

Absolutely love this film. It’s unique.

by Anonymousreply 18May 21, 2021 4:39 AM

I loved it too. But I’ve seen it get savaged in recent years.

by Anonymousreply 19May 21, 2021 4:44 AM

It will live on. Many teachers show this to their classes

by Anonymousreply 20May 21, 2021 4:45 AM

I was a kid when this came out and I keep meaning to give this a rewatch because exactly, it was unique and very different. The older 1968 one too, why not.

by Anonymousreply 21May 21, 2021 5:32 AM

I was in high school when it came out. It was THE movie to see that year. Much like Clueless was the year before. I actually had a picture of Claire Danes on my wall - my feeble attempt to pass.

by Anonymousreply 22May 21, 2021 6:37 AM

This was one movie where Luhrmann's unusual style and frenetic directing really worked. (I don't think it worked as well with Moulin Rouge.) Although my favorite scene was the "balcony" scene in the pool.

by Anonymousreply 23May 21, 2021 8:00 AM

I got to see this in the cinema and it really was a spectacular (spectacular) visual and aural experience.

It was mostly ignored at the Oscars in the English Patient year but it was released later in the UK so qualified for Titanic year. Baz Lurhman won best director and screenplay, it won best music and art design, but wasn't nominated for best film, won by The Full Monty.

The whole cast was great but Claire Danes in particular was perfect. I can't imagine Natalie Portman or Sarah Michelle Gellar in the role.

by Anonymousreply 24May 21, 2021 8:26 AM

I hated it back in 1996 and have no desire to ever watch the garbage again.

by Anonymousreply 25May 21, 2021 9:01 AM

[quote] The opening was epic and awesome. The rest of the movie not so much.

Yes, the first half was the in manic Luhrmann style to appeal to the teens. While the second half reverted to being very much like Zeffirelli's.

(I will never watch it again because I now know that Luhrmann is as fake and brainless as Las Vegas)

by Anonymousreply 26May 21, 2021 9:05 AM

[quote]Almost teenage me was....strongly affected by Leo’s beauty haha. Not that I hated seeing Whiting’s gorgeous backside in 9th grade English a few years later.

Leo was peak beautiful in this movie...I liked the weird, trippy take on R+J - I think it still holds up

by Anonymousreply 27May 21, 2021 9:53 AM

[quote]I actually had a picture of Claire Danes on my wall - my feeble attempt to pass.

🏳️‍⚧️

by Anonymousreply 28May 21, 2021 10:17 AM

I never found Leo beautiful

by Anonymousreply 29May 21, 2021 10:41 AM

The ONLY version to see is Romeo And Juliet (1968)

by Anonymousreply 30May 21, 2021 10:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!