Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dan Fogelberg’s music sucks donkey dick.

Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 61February 13, 2021 11:41 AM

Well, I have always detested 'The Leader of the Band' for reasons I've never been able to fully articulate.

by Anonymousreply 1June 12, 2020 7:33 PM

I don't agree at all. And he was so sexy too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 12, 2020 7:35 PM

I like a lot of his stuff.

Some of it is a bit corny, but it's well done.

"Leader of the Band" is one of the nicest ones, I think, because he was honoring his father, and you can hear the emotion as he sings that song.

by Anonymousreply 3June 12, 2020 7:36 PM

Now, Christopher Cross is another topic entirely....

by Anonymousreply 4June 12, 2020 7:37 PM

As a teen in the 70s, I was extremely high with some friends in a cabin in the woods one night. Somebody played "Netherlands" and it sounded celestial to me. Now, of course, I realize it was the dope.

by Anonymousreply 5June 12, 2020 7:38 PM

THANK YOU, OP. I've been saying this forever...

by Anonymousreply 6June 12, 2020 7:38 PM

OP is always so on trend.

by Anonymousreply 7June 12, 2020 7:39 PM

R5 I actually didn't know that song at all in his early years, but a few years back, on the Fogelberg tribute album, they released Donna Summer's version, which is, apparently, the last thing she recorded before she died.

And it WRECKED ME. Devastating. And beautiful. Goosebumps and tears every time I hear it.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 12, 2020 7:42 PM

R8, Mary!

by Anonymousreply 9June 12, 2020 7:45 PM

I know, R9. I am sobbing.

by Anonymousreply 10June 12, 2020 7:46 PM

R8 Really beautiful song. I'd never heard it before. Thanks for sharing!

Donna had such an incredible voice. She was underrated as a singer.

I liked some of Fogelberg's songs; others not so much. But the lyrics to this one are great.

by Anonymousreply 11June 12, 2020 7:48 PM

One more post re Donna and I will let y'all be. From Dan Fogelberg's website, a comment by his wife on the whole tribute:

“On June 3, 2010, I got an email from Norbert telling me that Donna Summer wanted to record ‘Nether Lands’ for the tribute. Coming of age in the 70’s, I was a huge fan, and for a long time I’d thought that one of the great divas should cover this, one of Dan’s most ambitious recordings in regards to the instrumentation, and the key! So I was beyond thrilled with Donna’s participation and her choice of song.

We determined that it would be much too costly to try to recreate the track, with its lush orchestral arrangements, so we had Sony dig up the master. Norbert was concerned about the key and asked Donna if it would be too high for her. She laughed and told Norbert that during a very difficult time in her life she’d had some tough decisions to make and she would start each day by playing ‘Nether Lands’ to inspire her. She’d been singing along with the record for years, knew it by heart, and the key was perfect for her.

Unaware that Donna was still performing, I was prepared to hear some diminished vocals now that she was in her 60’s. When Norbert sent me the track, I was blown away. If anything, her voice was richer and more powerful than ever - the track gave me goosebumps and still brings me to tears every time I play it.

With much still to give, Donna Summer died of lung cancer on May 17, 2012. I’m so grateful to her for gracing us with her incredible version of one of Dan’s most majestic songs, and to her husband, Bruce Sudano, for his assistance since her untimely death.

Five years after her passing, Donna and Bruce’s daughter Amanda Sudano and her husband Abner Ramirez performed ‘Nether Lands’ at the tribute concert as the duo ‘Johnnyswim.’ Amanda and Abner thrilled the audience with their duet rendition of the song, and their powerful and amazing voices. Donna would have been proud.”

~ Jean Fogelberg

by Anonymousreply 12June 12, 2020 7:51 PM

That Donna Summer cover is incredible.

I like a few of Fogelberg's songs, but don't know the whole catalog.

Here's a great cover of Song From Half Mountain by Tori Amos, which was how I first heard of him years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 12, 2020 7:54 PM

I’ve always liked Same Old Lang Syne.

by Anonymousreply 14June 12, 2020 7:59 PM

That Same Old Lange Syne song has a nice melancholic feel. Other than that, I don't know much of his music.

by Anonymousreply 15June 12, 2020 7:59 PM

Only The Heart May Know with harmony sung by Emmylou Harris is gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 16June 12, 2020 8:03 PM

This is one of his more upbeat songs, although it's still sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 12, 2020 8:04 PM

R17 I haven't heard that one in years. I like this one.

by Anonymousreply 18June 12, 2020 8:05 PM

I think this was one of the earliest things I remember ever hearing of his on the radio as a kid.

(but he was part of a duo here.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 12, 2020 8:07 PM

R19 LOVE this song.

by Anonymousreply 20June 12, 2020 8:08 PM

R8 That was beautiful! I always liked this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 12, 2020 8:55 PM

Has DL been caught in a time warp, so that everyone on this thread is suddenly posting from 1983?

by Anonymousreply 22June 12, 2020 9:24 PM

Hiss.

HISSSSSSSSS!

by Anonymousreply 23June 12, 2020 9:37 PM

I just heard one of his songs on the Gap Playlist and I have to agree.

by Anonymousreply 24June 12, 2020 9:45 PM

"Part of the Plan" is a good song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 12, 2020 10:07 PM

This . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 13, 2020 12:43 AM

. . . might as well be this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 13, 2020 12:43 AM

Longer is the one song of his that works my nerves a bit. And I really like almost everything else he ever did.

by Anonymousreply 28June 13, 2020 1:52 AM

Thanks for post that song, r8, and the story, r12.

by Anonymousreply 29June 13, 2020 1:57 AM

Fogelberg on that steaming pile he called "Longer":

[quote]Fogelberg told an interviewer that he wrote his biggest hit while lying in a hammock in Hawaii “looking up at the stars.” “This song was drifting around the universe,” Fogelberg recalled, “and I decided I’d give it a good home.” Somebody — the stars, the universe — effed-up bad. “Longer” plays like a parody of a parody of sensitive singer-songwriter schlock, from the Folg’s wimped-out vocals to its “poetry.” (“Mountain cathedral” rhymes with “forest primeval.”) The song clocks in at 3:15 but feels — you guessed it — much, much longer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 13, 2020 2:25 AM

In 1990 he did a shitty cover of "Rhythm of the Rain." I can't find the interview but I remember him saying how OFFENDED he was that his label released it as a single because he ONLY covered it because he LOVED it so much and it was so very PERSONAL and how DARE the label capitalize on that FEELING.

by Anonymousreply 31June 13, 2020 2:30 AM

I'd suck Dan Fogelberg's donkey dick. If he wants to play the music that's OK with me.

by Anonymousreply 32June 13, 2020 2:34 AM

Donna did NETHERLANDS? Wow, ok must check this out. Maybe I'll have another celestial experience, even though now I'm old and sober.

by Anonymousreply 33June 13, 2020 3:02 AM

R25, Thank you - I had TOTALLY forgotten about that song, and I had the album too. It was one of my faves.

by Anonymousreply 34June 13, 2020 3:04 AM

Is Longer about penile enlargement ?

by Anonymousreply 35June 13, 2020 3:07 AM

I beg to differ. His music sucks donkey ass.

by Anonymousreply 36June 13, 2020 3:10 AM

Ok, I'm not gonna knock my 17 year old self for loving Netherlands anymore. It's epic, cinematic. Sounds like a John Williams score.

by Anonymousreply 37June 13, 2020 3:11 AM

Like some others have said I like "Same Old Lang Syne." Though, mainly because I heard it after, coming home on Christmas break one year and hooking up with a person from my high school class, after a chance encounter at a store. So it has a personal connection for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 13, 2020 3:13 AM

Probably one of his lesser singles, but one of my favorites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 13, 2020 3:21 AM

Back in the day, I used to tune to an easy listening pop rock station on my morning commute back when Fogelberg was relatively popular in that particular genre, and remember learning to hate his music, because they played his songs so frequently. There was something about his voice and style that would grate on me. The only song of his I've ever liked was "Face the Fire" which was released shortly after the Three Mile Island disaster. It had a great electric guitar riff and solo that really complemented the lyrics, which were promoting using solar power instead of nuclear power.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 13, 2020 3:24 AM

I like his music. I think he was very good for what he was: a singer-songwriter balladeer. His lyrics are thoughtful and at times can be very poetic. Some of my favorites have already been posted above - "The Power of Gold", "Heart Hotels", "Same Old Lang Syne", "Part of the Plan". Other favorites that I don't think have been listed yet are "Make Love Stay", and "Hard to Say". But the one song of his that I just can't listen to is "Run for the Roses". It's a schlocky song about a fucking horse.

by Anonymousreply 41June 13, 2020 3:48 AM

R5/R33 It is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 42June 13, 2020 4:48 AM

Has Mr. Fogelberg ever been through the desert on a horse with no name?

by Anonymousreply 43June 13, 2020 4:48 AM

When he started out in the '70s, his sound was a bit different from where he eventually ended up in the profitable Soft Rock Land.

Like, for instance, The Last Nail, a personal fav from 1975.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 13, 2020 5:10 AM

It's true, at first he was seen as a hippie folk-rock singer-songwriter type, more in the James Taylor mold. I remember being a little disappointed when he became soft-rock guy.

by Anonymousreply 45June 13, 2020 2:28 PM

I always get him confused with Dan Hill.

by Anonymousreply 46June 13, 2020 2:33 PM

I still listen to "The Innocent Age" sometimes, it mostly holds up quite well. I laugh that people will listen to other people crinkle potato chip bags for meditation, but nice melodies and simplistic lyrics are a bridge too far. Oh well, the poor guy's dead but you can't say he didn't do something with his life.

by Anonymousreply 47June 13, 2020 2:39 PM

This video from 1976 gives you an idea of what music lane he thought he was in when he was just starting out. This is miles away from "Run for the Roses" or "Believe in Me."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 13, 2020 3:23 PM

and just what is the matter with sucking donkey dick?

by Anonymousreply 49June 13, 2020 4:06 PM

Now, I'm learning to fly

And this freedom is like

Nothing that I've ever known

I've seen the bottom

And I've been on top

But mostly I've lived in between

And where do you go

When you get to the end of

Your dream?

by Anonymousreply 50June 15, 2020 6:18 PM

I didn’t know Dan Hill was biracial until a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 51June 15, 2020 6:46 PM

I remember an interview with Sweet Connie where she bragged she blew him and his manager. One of the few times when I wish I was a groupie.

by Anonymousreply 52June 15, 2020 6:59 PM

He was hot as fuck, but so dumb.

by Anonymousreply 53June 15, 2020 10:40 PM

[quote]Dan Fogelberg’s music sucks donkey dick.

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 54June 15, 2020 10:41 PM

Bet he had a big one

by Anonymousreply 55June 15, 2020 11:32 PM

It was big.

It was....longer than

by Anonymousreply 56June 16, 2020 12:23 AM

Another Auld Lang Syne sucks donkey dick.

by Anonymousreply 57December 18, 2020 2:11 PM

In my collection of 509 albums I have NO Dan Fogelberg albums.

by Anonymousreply 58December 18, 2020 2:13 PM

I love singing Just When I Needed You Most at karaoke. Audiences are amazed by my high notes

by Anonymousreply 59December 18, 2020 3:45 PM

Lots of drek, but some great stuff..."Lonely in Love," "Netherlands," "Missing You."

by Anonymousreply 60December 18, 2020 3:51 PM

How did dan hill so being biracial, R51?

by Anonymousreply 61February 13, 2021 11:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!