Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

TV shows that did not jump the shark

I know there are endless lists of those that have, but to your mind which ones stayed true throughout the run?

I just finished watching the final season of Ray Donovan, it stayed true to the characters and did not try to sandwich on a happy ending. Voight has horrible politics but man, he is a good actor as was everyone in the cast.

BBC Life on Mars (the US version has a shit ending) stayed true to the concept and had a rousing end.

Happy with Chris Meloni began with a shark and stayed true to it's ludicrous season 2 finale. I have no idea what I was watching but I loved the journey. I keep hoping someone picks it up for a real finale.

by Anonymousreply 161August 11, 2020 11:05 PM

Breaking Bad

by Anonymousreply 1June 12, 2020 12:15 PM

The Munsters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 12, 2020 12:17 PM

Simpsons

by Anonymousreply 3June 12, 2020 12:17 PM

I'd argue Breaking Bad jumped the shark when it didn't adequately explain why Hank never had any suspicions, ever.

by Anonymousreply 4June 12, 2020 12:20 PM

Id argue that Buffy held it together throughout, though I know a lot of people have issues with the last two seasons. Are they perfect? No, but they are still of quality and they really stuck the landing with the finale. Brilliant ending.

Mad Men was pretty consistent, too.

by Anonymousreply 5June 12, 2020 12:22 PM

Seinfeld. Good until the end, and much better at the end than its putrid first two seasons.

by Anonymousreply 6June 12, 2020 12:29 PM

R6 agree.

Speaking of Julia Louis-Dreyfus, ‘Veep’ was great from start to finish as well.

by Anonymousreply 7June 12, 2020 12:34 PM

Justified

by Anonymousreply 8June 12, 2020 12:37 PM

Bates Motel

by Anonymousreply 9June 12, 2020 12:38 PM

Another vote for Mad Men. It wasn't perfect but they never had those ridiculously over the top, soapy twists that occur with so many dramas. It was also nice to see an adult show that wasn't insanely violent.

by Anonymousreply 10June 12, 2020 1:07 PM

R7 I was going to say Veep, too. Even if it had some questionable decisions post-Iannucci, it managed to get back together and end with a bang.

by Anonymousreply 11June 12, 2020 1:44 PM

"The Shield" was fantastic for its entire 7-season run. I loved al of "Battlestar Galactica," although a number of fans were disappointed in the final season.

by Anonymousreply 12June 12, 2020 1:46 PM

Fawlty Towers, The Young Ones, Bottom

by Anonymousreply 13June 12, 2020 1:47 PM

MASH

by Anonymousreply 14June 12, 2020 1:48 PM

R2, I agree. The show ended after two seasons. There really wasn't much more to do with this odd family. It ran its course and we have 76 classic episodes. The same with The Addams Family.

by Anonymousreply 15June 12, 2020 3:33 PM

"Buffy" for me is the classic example of a show that completely jumped the shark.

Great first few seasons, and then we had the introduction of Dawn, who was completely artificially and unconvincingly grafted onto the show; the "Dark Willow" storyline where Willoiw went insane hideously killed someone (and not a word was said afterwards when she got all better and apologized for being evil); and then the last few seasons when Joss Whedon--furious at Fox for telling him what to do--added in every episode a blindingly boring speech from Buffy about how she knew best because she was in charge and everyone who didn't like that could just leave.

by Anonymousreply 16June 12, 2020 3:39 PM

Mary Tyler Moore. It got better over time.

by Anonymousreply 17June 12, 2020 3:46 PM

BoJack Horseman

by Anonymousreply 18June 12, 2020 3:50 PM

Rome

by Anonymousreply 19June 12, 2020 3:57 PM

Enlightened owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 20June 12, 2020 4:07 PM

Another vote for The Shield. The writing was outstanding and they invested in great season-long story arcs -- Glenn Close, Forest Whitaker. PLUS, I loved CCH Pounder.

by Anonymousreply 21June 12, 2020 4:08 PM

R20 It sucks that Enlightened only had two seasons while we have about 100 stupid procedural shows that get renewed every year. I wish hbo would reconsider renewing it.

by Anonymousreply 22June 12, 2020 4:11 PM

Agreed, r18. If anything, it got better as it went along.

Despite a few minor missteps, I’d put The Sopranos and The Wire on the list.

by Anonymousreply 23June 12, 2020 4:12 PM

[quote]It wasn't perfect but they never had those ridiculously over the top, soapy twists that occur with so many dramas. It was also nice to see an adult show that wasn't insanely violent.

R10 I agree with the last half of your statement but not your first. I thought the series had way too many soapy twists but I overlooked them all because I loved the Roger and Joan dynamic! (Not so crazy about Peggy and Don.)

by Anonymousreply 24June 12, 2020 4:13 PM

[quote] It sucks that Enlightened only had two seasons while we have about 100 stupid procedural shows that get renewed every year. I wish hbo would reconsider renewing it.

I agree! Enlightened was truly one of the deepest shows on tv. I think the third season would have been the best one yet. I really wish it would get released one day. Ditto with the show The Knick if you are familiar with that one.

by Anonymousreply 25June 12, 2020 4:15 PM

Six Feet Under

by Anonymousreply 26June 12, 2020 4:17 PM

I never heard of Enlightened and now I have to find it. I'm always looking for something new. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 27June 12, 2020 4:17 PM

Schitt's Creek got better with every season. It started out much too sour and then hugely improved after the 1st season.

by Anonymousreply 28June 12, 2020 4:18 PM

The Comeback. Absolutely perfect

by Anonymousreply 29June 12, 2020 4:19 PM

The Dick Van Dyke Show.

by Anonymousreply 30June 12, 2020 4:20 PM

I thought Six Feet Under became really bad for the last few seasons until the last three or four episodes, when it remembered what it was supposed to be about.

Rainn Wilson and Frances Conroy on the bed making dolphin noises was awful, and even worse was the trick psychologically torturing David for an entire episode.

by Anonymousreply 31June 12, 2020 4:20 PM

The Americans

by Anonymousreply 32June 12, 2020 4:20 PM

The Critic

by Anonymousreply 33June 12, 2020 4:22 PM

Steel Magnolias

by Anonymousreply 34June 12, 2020 4:25 PM

The Knick was another show that never jumped the shark. Clive Owen was incredible in it, maybe the best role of his career as a coke-then-heroin addicted brilliant surgeon in turn-of-the-century NYC.

by Anonymousreply 35June 12, 2020 4:26 PM

R31 "Rainn Wilson and Frances Conroy on the bed making dolphin noises was awful ". I've never seen a single episode of Six Feet Under but now I feel that I must watch it.

by Anonymousreply 36June 12, 2020 4:27 PM

LA to Las Vegas. A few laugh outloud moments every episode. Great characters. It was cancelled after 15 episodes because of a scandal I'm too lazy to look up.

by Anonymousreply 37June 12, 2020 4:32 PM

The Guest Book. A Greg Garcia show, every episode was about the renters of Froggy Cottage who entered their experiences in the guest book. Stand alone episodes with great guest stars -- my favorite? Stockard Channing. It was cancelled in its second season. Don't know why...it was still funny.

by Anonymousreply 38June 12, 2020 4:37 PM

Frasier. Not one bad episode.

by Anonymousreply 39June 12, 2020 4:38 PM

Friday Night Lights nailed the feel-good ending better than any other show before or since. The Shield's ending was sublime -- Vic stuck at an office job.

by Anonymousreply 40June 12, 2020 4:41 PM

The Nanny. It was silly fun from start to finish.

by Anonymousreply 41June 12, 2020 4:42 PM

I loved The Nanny but it did jump the shark once Fran got married to Maxwell.

by Anonymousreply 42June 12, 2020 4:44 PM

Some of my favorite episodes were from after Fran and Maxwell were married.

by Anonymousreply 43June 12, 2020 4:46 PM

My Name is Earl.

by Anonymousreply 44June 12, 2020 4:49 PM

The Larry Sanders Show

Curb Your Enthusiasm (although Season 9 was a little weak)

VEEP

Episodes

The Sopranos

Currently: Insecure

by Anonymousreply 45June 12, 2020 4:53 PM

R45 The Sopranos had the weakest ending ever but I agree until that very last episode, it never jumped. What a great series.

by Anonymousreply 46June 12, 2020 5:04 PM

[quote] The Sopranos had one of the best endings ever.

Fixed that for you!

by Anonymousreply 47June 12, 2020 5:29 PM

R47 Stay in your own lane.

by Anonymousreply 48June 12, 2020 5:39 PM

[quote] Stay in your own lane.

I'm sorry The Sopranos didn't give you a traditional "Hollywood" ending. Maybe The Little Mermaid or Aladdin would be more to your liking.

by Anonymousreply 49June 12, 2020 5:41 PM

Mad Men, still love that show

by Anonymousreply 50June 12, 2020 5:51 PM

The Closer

by Anonymousreply 51June 12, 2020 6:05 PM

Already mentioned, but The Shield and Mad Men are my two favorite series of all time.

by Anonymousreply 52June 12, 2020 9:37 PM

I got tired with Don's character but Peggy kept it interesting for me. At one point it seemed that Don was going around in circles.

by Anonymousreply 53June 12, 2020 9:53 PM

[39] I'd agree with Frasier, although I can't sit through that Nanny G episode with Laurie Metcalf (whom I love)!!

by Anonymousreply 54June 12, 2020 9:54 PM

I agree with the poster who mentioned The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Yes, it not only never jumped the shark, but each season got increasingly better. I thought it's final season was it's best - (well, one cringey episode actually, the one where the three men each fantasize about dating Mary).

by Anonymousreply 55June 13, 2020 3:40 AM

Co-sign r29. The Comeback got canceled way too early and came back with a flawless final season. Lisa Kudrow should’ve won an Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 56June 13, 2020 3:56 AM

Lisa Kudrow was always the most talented person on Friends. My mom said "I love her face, it's always saying something!". And it's true, she does have the best expressions.

by Anonymousreply 57June 13, 2020 4:13 AM

[quote]BBC Life on Mars (the US version has a shit ending) stayed true to the concept and had a rousing end.

Bad example. They are doing a reboot (third season). They still have time to screw it up. And it's going to be difficult because in its sequel, Ashes to Ashes, they explained the world that both shows existed in. So what are they going to do? Say, "Fooled ya, it's not like we told ya"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 13, 2020 4:40 AM

Im trying to think on the shows of my childhood, but there is always something, a new baby, or a older kid sometimes, a new husband, an evil identical cousin or a green martian.

by Anonymousreply 59June 13, 2020 5:13 AM

Im trying to think on the shows of my childhood, but there is always something, a new baby, or a older kid sometimes, a new husband, an evil identical cousin or a green martian.

by Anonymousreply 60June 13, 2020 5:13 AM

The Wire

Rome

Frasier

The Crown

by Anonymousreply 61June 13, 2020 5:27 AM

R58 good example.

A third series is not the original series which is what is under discussion.

by Anonymousreply 62June 13, 2020 6:56 AM

Bobs Burgers ( so far) Scrubs( not counting the spinoff season 9 med school) I Love Lucy Breaking Bad The Comeback Cougartown Ozark (so far) Bloodline Parks and Recreation Great News Bojack Horseman

by Anonymousreply 63June 13, 2020 7:09 AM

How to Get Away With Murder. Non-stop fun from Season 1 to Season 6. Viola Davis nailed Annalise Keating.

by Anonymousreply 64June 13, 2020 7:21 AM

[quote] I'd argue Breaking Bad jumped the shark when it didn't adequately explain why Hank never had any suspicions, ever.

Hank didn’t suspect Walt for two reasons — one, because he thought Walt was a weak nerdy loser, unlike himself, the brave macho agent — and two, because he thought he knew everything about Walt and what he was capable of. I can believe that even a law enforcement professional would discount someone they know, because they know them, and know they could never do something like that.

by Anonymousreply 65June 13, 2020 8:46 AM

The Dick Van Dyke Show

by Anonymousreply 66June 13, 2020 9:05 AM

Sure, but Breaking Bad never addressed that AT ALL, R65. You can assume they meant us to think he was just too full of himself and how well he "knew" Walt, but there was no indication that was the case. This was not a subtle show, they explained everything, so why not explain that?

And don't get me started on them killing Steve Gomez off during a commercial break.

by Anonymousreply 67June 13, 2020 11:29 AM

Happy Days

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 13, 2020 12:11 PM

I have to disagree with r17 and r55. The show really lost something for me when Valerie Harper left. Mary not having a friend and the focus shifting to just the people she worked with really didn't work for me.

by Anonymousreply 69June 13, 2020 12:38 PM

[quote]I'd agree with Frasier, although I can't sit through that Nanny G episode with Laurie Metcalf (whom I love)!!

Yes, while I don't think the last few seasons were as good, it probably did not jump the shark, but Fraiser on stage in a diaper while the normally great Metcalf ate the set might have been close. The sorted way they finally got Niles and Daphne together might be a close second - newlywed Niles bailing on his wife and Daphne leaving her fiancé at the alter as they drive off in a RV.

by Anonymousreply 70June 13, 2020 12:48 PM

Upstairs, Downstairs (1971-1975). Television's peak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 13, 2020 12:57 PM

I never liked Mary's new apartment in the final 2 seasons of The MTM Show. Seemed like a step down for her.

by Anonymousreply 72June 13, 2020 12:59 PM

Seinfeld fell flat in its last 2 seasons and was only being produced to make money.

by Anonymousreply 73June 13, 2020 1:01 PM

Wendie Malick saved Frasier from Niles and Daphne finally getting together.

by Anonymousreply 74June 13, 2020 1:02 PM

[quote]I never liked Mary's new apartment in the final 2 seasons of The MTM Show. Seemed like a step down for her.

That is pretty universal - I remember my Mom feeling pretty strongly about it. I recently saw the episode where she moves in and it ends with Mary alone in her new apartment saying she hates it. The building used for the exterior of that shot is not in the nicest area. Maybe it was in 1977, but by 1990 when I moved to the Cities, it is not a place where a 37 year old woman with a good job would move especially when she was living by the lakes.

by Anonymousreply 75June 13, 2020 1:06 PM

These buildings look like they belong in Kowloon or a favela in Rio. What a pile of garbage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76June 13, 2020 1:53 PM

Frasier became flat after Niles and Daphne got together, it's writing became very generic. The 11th season brought back some of the earlier magic but it never reached those earlier peaks.

by Anonymousreply 77June 13, 2020 1:56 PM

I love "Frasier" but the last couple of seasons didn't fully measure up to the rest, with the exception of a few genuinely good storylines. There were a few issues:

1. they really didn't know what to do with Niles and Daphne once Mel and Donnie departed. Lots of silly, wasted storylines involving them, tacked on simply because they had to feature them somehow, in some capacity, in every episode, like Niles and Daphne try to take yoga classes together and "hilarity ensues".

2. Daphne's family, in particular her mother: no added value to the show, often tedious, annoying (and not in a good way) and overall pointless.

3. A lot of recycled storylines: Frasier torn between two women (Faye/Cassandra -> Lana/Claire), etc.

Seinfeld's first couple of seasons were relatively lame compared to the rest. I don't even bother with them in syndication.

Completely agree about The Shield, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Mad Men, SFU, VEEP, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Episodes, The Comeback, and Justified.

by Anonymousreply 78June 13, 2020 2:09 PM

Oh my I forgot all about Daphne's mother. What a horrible character. I still can't enjoy Millicent Martin because of Mrs. Moon.

by Anonymousreply 79June 13, 2020 2:11 PM

R14, Ugh no.

MASH jumped the shark when they killed off Col. Blake and sent Trapper John home.

Then the show just became a preachfest for Alan Alda.

by Anonymousreply 80June 13, 2020 2:21 PM

R73 some of the most iconic and memorable moments from the show came from those seasons.

by Anonymousreply 81June 13, 2020 2:26 PM

Absolutely Fabulous. It worked because the whole show was about jumping the shark

by Anonymousreply 82June 13, 2020 2:28 PM

I would argue that Mad Men did kind of jump the shark with Megan and then Betty randomly getting terminal cancer but it was still great. Don was a frustrating jerk but I think all of his cycles were meant to show us that even someone with looks, wealth, success and gorgeous wives can still be miserable. When he calls himself a failure in the final episode I burst into tears. Still miss that show.

by Anonymousreply 83June 13, 2020 2:37 PM

MTM would've been better if they'd kept Mary Kay Place and Penny Marshall as her new neighbors in the second apartment.

by Anonymousreply 84June 13, 2020 2:48 PM

That Girl

by Anonymousreply 85June 13, 2020 2:57 PM

Judging Amy

by Anonymousreply 86June 13, 2020 3:03 PM

The other issue with Frasier is they changed Daphne's character when they put her and Nile's together. Nile's only got his spark back when Maris would occasionally surface during the final years.

by Anonymousreply 87June 13, 2020 3:50 PM

R83 Betty’s entire arc was working towards that very specific end. You really didn’t see that coming?

by Anonymousreply 88June 13, 2020 6:14 PM

r82, that's how I would describe, "Claws". They've only had 3 seasons, but they always leave you wanting more.

by Anonymousreply 89June 13, 2020 8:32 PM

[quote] and then Betty randomly getting terminal cancer

Would you have preferred a few "Camille"-like coughs beforehand as dramatic foreshadowing?

People DO get cancer randomly. That's how the world works.

by Anonymousreply 90June 13, 2020 9:20 PM

[quote] These buildings look like they belong in Kowloon or a favela in Rio. What a pile of garbage.

They are terribly designed--the elevators only stop on every other floor.

They must have chosen that complex in part because in the Seventies there weren't a lot of high-rise apartment complexes in Minneapolis, and since no rich people lived there, they wouldn't get shirty about filming it as Mary's apartment building (unlike the previous house, where the owner forced them to stop filming by hanging an "Impeach Nixon" banner in front). Also, the style was brand-new, and wasn't equated with poverty housing yet in the public eye.

by Anonymousreply 91June 13, 2020 9:25 PM

I think "The Crown" has kept it's high level of quality going. Olivia Colman actually plays the Queen very differently from Claire Foy: she is far steelier and less kind. But that is how the Queen became over time, and I liked in the final episode of last season they showed how the Queen still harbors great tenderness and generosity to her sister (even though her two eldest children think she's a cold fish).

I am really curious how they will handle next season with Diana, however. She will instantly become the other major character, and it will seem strange if they keep giving spotlight episodes to Philip and Margaret, especially because they're also going to give lots of attention to Margaret Thatcher.

by Anonymousreply 92June 13, 2020 9:32 PM

I felt like Mad Men jumped the shark because they DIDN'T kill off tiresome Don Draper. His drinking and woe is me schtick became tiresome after 7 seasons. It was always the secondary characters (primarily the women) that made that show excellent-Peggy, Joan, Betty, even Megan.

by Anonymousreply 93June 13, 2020 9:35 PM

"They are terribly designed--the elevators only stop on every other floor."

Isn't that because the apartments themselves are two levels, with the upper level of the apartment reached by an interior staircase.

by Anonymousreply 94June 13, 2020 9:46 PM

I also have to add about Mad Men that it sorta did jump the shark when Don Draper was fucking downstairs neighbor Linda Cardellini.

by Anonymousreply 95June 13, 2020 9:50 PM

Father Ted. Still very funny by its final episode.

by Anonymousreply 96June 13, 2020 9:52 PM

Treme was really good on HBO, showing the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. It always had decent acting and good musical performances.

by Anonymousreply 97June 13, 2020 9:55 PM

R96 One of the funniest show ever!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98June 13, 2020 9:56 PM

Getting On

by Anonymousreply 99June 13, 2020 9:57 PM

The West Wing

by Anonymousreply 100June 13, 2020 10:19 PM

I’d argue The Wire, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire. Some seasons were better than others, but they never sacrificed the baseline standard of the show.

by Anonymousreply 101June 13, 2020 10:29 PM

The Americans is another good example. The first couple of seasons are actually the weakest in my opinion, and then from 3 on it’s just completely brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 102June 13, 2020 10:38 PM

R101 I would agree with you on Boardwalk Empire, but they had to speed things up and end the show in 5 seasons--I think they had originally planned for 7. The last season felt really rushed, but was still consistently good.

Another show that had a similar fate was Bloodline, they got cancelled midway into the 3rd season because they lost their tax credits to film in Florida so they just threw together some shit that was nonsensical. It definitely jumped the shark!

by Anonymousreply 103June 13, 2020 10:41 PM

Love so many mentioned,but I cant believe no one mentioned Justified ! Fabulous from start to finish.

by Anonymousreply 104June 13, 2020 10:49 PM

The Americans, absolutely. Mad Men had rhythms and themes that made a great deal of sense, but frustrated people who didn’t really understand the show. The Linda Cardellini plot was, for example, was pivotal because it irreparably destroyed Don’s relationship with Sally. And the whole point of him “going in circles” was that he was a man who kept running, but ended up having to always come back to face his lies.

by Anonymousreply 105June 13, 2020 10:50 PM

I’m not M but it’s really sad that there are over 100 posts and no one has mentioned Damages. Totally brilliant and actually Seasons 4 and 5 when it moved to Direct TV and went R-rated are the best. It’s a travesty Chris Messina didn’t get recognized for S4. He was incredible. Plus, Ryan Phillipe shows his ass in S5. The ending is unforgettable, too.

by Anonymousreply 106June 13, 2020 11:00 PM

I disagree on Damages. I thought season 4 and that Iraq storyline were poor. I didn’t even watch the last episode of that season after trying to finish it a second time. Messina was good though. Also shout out to The Sopranos ending. The ending was genius, showing that Tony will never be free, there will always be the threat of death was brilliant handled. For me, The Sopranos is one of the best series ever. Just behind The Americans which was the best finale ever.

by Anonymousreply 107June 13, 2020 11:20 PM

I Love Lucy occasionally had episodes that were not up to the high quality of what I think was the majority of the entire series of episodes. ( Lucy Goes to the Rodeo, the Ricardos and the Mertzes invest in oil wells both come to mind). Some folks think that moving to the "country" or suburbs was a specific shark jumping line in the sand, but I love all of those 10 or 12 final episodes of the series. Hell, if nothing else than for Vivian Vance contributing "I have sufficient" to the vernacular in the "Housewarming" episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108June 13, 2020 11:28 PM

[quote] The other issue with Frasier is they changed Daphne's character when they put her and Nile's together. Nile's only got his spark back when Maris would occasionally surface during the final years.

Niles'

by Anonymousreply 109June 13, 2020 11:35 PM

Actually, Niles’s is the actual proper possessive, R109.

by Anonymousreply 110June 13, 2020 11:58 PM

OK, if you are going to be a fuckwad, r110...

[quote] Apostrophes with Words Ending in s. While normal people wonder about apostrophes in general, believe it or not, word nerds have heated arguments over whether to use an additional s with singular possession.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111June 14, 2020 12:03 AM

Since you insist I prove you wrong yet again, R111, Strunk & White have the final word (as always). Thus, Niles’s it is.

“The Elements of Style: Form the possessive singular of nouns by adding 's. Follow this rule whatever the final consonant, except for ancient names ("Jesus'") and forms such as "for righteousness' sake". Pronomimal possesives ("hers") have no apostrophe.“

by Anonymousreply 112June 14, 2020 12:22 AM

r100 The West Wing might as well have been called That Shark-Jumping Show, beginning when Aaron Sorkin left. And then adding Jimmy Smits and Alan Alda to the cast? Sharkjumping at its most exemplary.

by Anonymousreply 113June 14, 2020 12:26 AM

[quote] Strunk & White have the final word (as always).

Or...you're just an ass. Nile's was wrong. Niles' or Niles's are correct. And Strunk and White is just one opinion.

by Anonymousreply 114June 14, 2020 12:30 AM

[quote]Niles' or Niles's are correct.

While both are correct, if you're going to use "or," it's "Niles' or Niles's is correct."

And yes, each is correct. I prefer not to add the unnecessary "s."

by Anonymousreply 115June 14, 2020 12:33 AM

Any academic or writer worth their salt would say Strunk & White is the only opinion, but education isn’t your strong suit, R114, now is it?

by Anonymousreply 116June 14, 2020 12:33 AM

Thanks, r115.

Boy, are you tiresome, r116.

[quote] The Elements of Style does not deserve the enormous esteem in which it is held by American college graduates. Its advice ranges from limp platitudes to inconsistent nonsense. Its enormous influence has not improved American students’ grasp of English grammar; it has significantly degraded it. … Strunk had very little analytical understanding of syntax, White even less. Certainly White was a fine writer, but he was not qualified as a grammarian. (Geoffrey K. Pullum. “50 Years of Stupid Grammar Advice”, The Chronicle Review, April 17, 2009. Retrieved July 12, 2013.)

by Anonymousreply 117June 14, 2020 12:35 AM

Ah, yes, how could one forget Geoffrey K. Pullum and his sacred tome “50 Years of Stupid Grammar Advice?” Strunk & White are mere intellectual plebeians in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 118June 14, 2020 12:38 AM

I had never watched Man Men, and binge-watched all seven seasons in this stay-at-home world.

It consistently stayed interesting. I got annoyed with Don, but that was kind of the whole point. I only thought some of the hillbilly flashbacks were jumpy/sharky... or just corny.

The last episode really was poetry. I'd like to teach the world to sing - and coke saving the world, was the absolutely perfect ending. Also, I think the only way a season would have stayed interesting if Don died, and Peggy took center stage.... and then it would be Man Men.

R83 Arbitrarily coming down with cancer? The cigarettes were one of the most interesting threads in the show. Everyone smoking everywhere all the time. Completely accurate for the time. Betty smoked like a chimney. Of course someone needed to get lung cancer.

by Anonymousreply 119June 14, 2020 12:46 AM

[quote] I disagree on Damages.

Me too--I really liked the show and I just got done watching it for the first time a week ago. It jumped the shark constantly and then somehow managed to pull itself back. I loved that ending though.

by Anonymousreply 120June 14, 2020 1:05 AM

R82 The first 3 series are iconic, the 4th series along with the Gay special was good, the 5th series seemed more like a parody (though White Box was great) while the series of specials/mini series 6 were amazing and on par with series 1-3 in terms of quality. The movie however was subpar and rushed with generic writing and was sort of a lame conclusion to the nearly 25 year story of Edina, Patsy, Saffron, Mrs. Monsoon and Bubble.

by Anonymousreply 121June 14, 2020 1:16 AM

Happy Endings!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122June 14, 2020 1:36 AM

I *loved* every episode of "People of Earth."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123June 14, 2020 2:17 AM

The Closer. The pilot, which became the first episode, was nearly as good as the final episode. The writing and acting throughout were superlative.

by Anonymousreply 124June 14, 2020 2:19 AM

I agree with R122. "Happy Endings" definitely did not jump the shark. It got better as the (few) seasons went on. Even the "lost" episode - a table read at a convention - was really funny..

Cougartown is another show that got better as it went along. I think for both these shows a lot of it was the gelling of the cast. You really believed everyone really got along behind the scenes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125June 14, 2020 3:04 AM

Schitts Creek... they have become the biggest comedy this year and they are leaving (sadly) on a high note

by Anonymousreply 126June 14, 2020 3:07 AM

Another vote for Damages. It always had red herrings and crazy twists. That was always part of the show's DNA. And Patty Hewes was such a mean bitch!

by Anonymousreply 127June 14, 2020 3:08 AM

The apartment complex Mary Richards moved to was later known as "The Crack Stacks"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128June 14, 2020 4:15 AM

Patty Hewes is probably the nastiest character I"ve ever seen on tv. Seriously. In season 1, I was constantly creeped out by Glenn's portrayal of her. And when she acted nice to Rose Byrne, it was even creepier. You're just waiting for her to suffocate her or push her out of a window or something. And that ending was so good. One of the most downbeat endings I've seen.

by Anonymousreply 129June 14, 2020 4:18 AM

The random colors on those buildings look like laundry hanging from balconies.

by Anonymousreply 130June 14, 2020 4:20 AM

It Had to Be You

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131June 14, 2020 4:37 AM

R11 I think Veep had one of the best series finales of all time. It was bloody brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 132June 14, 2020 5:00 AM

Never jumped.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133June 14, 2020 5:37 AM

[quote] Any academic or writer worth their salt would say Strunk & White is the only opinion,

That's not true at all. I'm a tenured professor of English literature and a much-published writer, and I can speak directly to this.

Strunk & White is no longer considered the last word on anything. It's been pretty clear for decades they simply wrote down the rules based on what they wanted for [italic]The New Yorker.[/italic] Many of their "rules" are now seen as obsolete, and they were often based on a misunderstanding of how the rules of Latin can be applied to English (as with their now-discredited rule about never splitting the infinitive).

Most academics in my discipline consult a variety of texts much more comprehensive than Strunk & White, including [italic]The MLA Handbook, The Chicago Manual of Style,[/italic] and [italic]Garner's Modern English Usage.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 134June 14, 2020 6:00 AM

R125, thanks for the heads up on that table read!! I hadn't seen it before.

by Anonymousreply 135June 14, 2020 6:10 AM

R134 is right. Many organizations have adopted different style guides depending on their suitability for what they’re producing. I am in the writing profession, and we used a number of style guides, mostly the Chicago Manual of Style, and sometimes the AP Style Guide.

by Anonymousreply 136June 14, 2020 12:54 PM

Strangers With Candy MTM I Love Lucy Newhart Mission Impossible Mannix Dark Shadows

by Anonymousreply 137June 14, 2020 1:03 PM

Again, The Closer. Beautiful writing and acting from the beginning to the end.

by Anonymousreply 138June 14, 2020 1:06 PM

R133 Yes, China Beach! I feel like that show kind of got overlooked even though it was really great. I think it got shuffled around a lot in bad time slots too which didn't help. Plus the subject material was kind of a downer, and a lot of the American tv watching public want happy times escapism.

by Anonymousreply 139June 14, 2020 3:53 PM

The Golden Girls. I just rewatched the series in order and while the quality of the episodes themselves is uneven, I think the last two seasons are actually funnier than a few of the middle years.

by Anonymousreply 140June 14, 2020 5:02 PM

Gavin and Stacey. They brought it back for a one-off episode last Christmas, ten years after the series ended, and it just felt like picking up where they left off.

by Anonymousreply 141June 15, 2020 8:14 PM

As someone who cares quite a lot about correct punctuation, I'd just like to say, "Shut the fuck up! This is a thread about TV shows!"

by Anonymousreply 142June 19, 2020 7:12 PM

Enlightened was simply the best television program of the 2000's. They never gave it a chance to jump the shark. Laura Dern was remarkable in it.

by Anonymousreply 143June 19, 2020 7:30 PM

Ab Fab jumped the shark season 4-5 but recovered in season 6.

by Anonymousreply 144June 19, 2020 7:56 PM

Breaking Bad did not, Dexter, did..

by Anonymousreply 145June 19, 2020 8:08 PM

I loved Mad Men...it is weird I don't remember anything about cancer?

Big Love was great at first but then it became a joke because they would try to fit three shows into each hour.

by Anonymousreply 146June 19, 2020 11:23 PM

My Mother The Car

by Anonymousreply 147June 20, 2020 12:46 AM

Lawrence Welk

Porter and Dolly

by Anonymousreply 148June 20, 2020 1:39 AM

Deep Space Nine.

It peaked in the middle, but as a whole, damn, it holds up.

by Anonymousreply 149June 20, 2020 2:06 AM

WKRP in Cincinnati

St. Elsewhere

The Bob Newhart Show

I just realized all were MTM shows.

by Anonymousreply 150June 20, 2020 3:27 AM

The correct answer is clearly Jersey Shore.

by Anonymousreply 151June 20, 2020 3:58 AM

Now that I've done a rewatch: The Sopranos.

by Anonymousreply 152June 20, 2020 4:03 AM

R100 I love The West Wing, but I did think they hopped over the shark a little when they had Toby leak classified information, resulting in one of the best actors on the show pretty much being sidelined for the whole last season.

by Anonymousreply 153August 11, 2020 8:45 PM

They just did not know what to do with Toby and Charlie in the last few seasons and so lost the full contribution of two great cast members.

by Anonymousreply 154August 11, 2020 8:51 PM

R106 I loved Damages too, however the last scene was a direct rip off of (dare I say it) Meryl in 'Devil Wears Prada'. The older female protagonist staying in the same place, while the younger female has grown, moved on and ignores her.

by Anonymousreply 155August 11, 2020 8:51 PM

R154 I think Dule Hill (Charlie) started on another show, that's why his character was sceen less. The same with Dame Stockard, who got a gig on some forgettable sitcom and so Abigail's role was limited too.

by Anonymousreply 156August 11, 2020 8:55 PM

No. Hill did not start another show until West Wing folded.

The reason he faded away during the last three seasons was simply that Sorkin left. Sorkin had a vision of the character that made him central. The following show runner did not.

This topic is discussed in West Wing Weekly. Sorkin's did not really involve his writing staff fully, so when he left you can feel the break in how they use the characters because they were never part of the process of building story in the first four seasons.

by Anonymousreply 157August 11, 2020 9:14 PM

Charlie was probably the most obvious casualty, going from a central position to a peripheral one.

by Anonymousreply 158August 11, 2020 9:15 PM

Let's start with DL FAVE THE GOLDEN GIRLS

Ally McBeal

Mary Tyler Moore

Frasier

by Anonymousreply 159August 11, 2020 9:21 PM

R103 R105 Boardwalk Empire never jumped the shark, but after after they got rid of James Darmody, Michael Pitt's character, the story line seemed to lose purpose and direction. I think it was because the narrative was just as much from Darmody's perspective as it was from Nucky's.

by Anonymousreply 160August 11, 2020 9:56 PM

Columbo (assuming you ignore the movies that periodically brought him back beginning in 1989. The original series was excellent from beginning to end.)

The Bob Newhart Show

The Mary Tyler Moore Show

The Dick Van Dyke Show

The Rockford Files

by Anonymousreply 161August 11, 2020 11:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!